PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 20 v GWS

Scraggers
19-05-2023, 05:55 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Nineteen match against Essendon for our Round Twenty match against GWS at Mars on Saturday.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion

GVGjr
21-07-2023, 05:16 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
21-07-2023, 11:29 PM
In: JJ, Lobb, Buss

Out: Khamis, VDM, Bruce

I really, really want Khamis to get multiple games, but not sure we can.

G-Mo77
21-07-2023, 11:32 PM
I don't think you can keep Buku in at that position. I would have preferred we worked him into a defensive role while he played VFL so he's kind of pigeon holed into this spot.

hujsh
21-07-2023, 11:47 PM
Jon Ralph saying Jones back the week after for Richmond but not next week.

Good news is Hogan is out

bornadog
22-07-2023, 12:07 AM
I don't think you can keep Buku in at that position. I would have preferred we worked him into a defensive role while he played VFL so he's kind of pigeon holed into this spot.

Feel sorry for Buku, he really isn't a second ruck. Like you I prefer him in the backline.

G-Mo77
22-07-2023, 12:16 AM
Feel sorry for Buku, he really isn't a second ruck. Like you I prefer him in the backline.

Sadly I think it's one and done for Buku. Lobb is just a better option and the reason we went after him so badly was to fill this role. We're too far into the season to shift Buku to defence and start trialling him there.

kruder
22-07-2023, 12:22 AM
I have this bad feeling that JJ will replace VDM in defence and we will then swing him forward and drop West. Fingers crossed we don't see VDM forward again lets keep developing him defence and that should be VFL level next week.

meenies
22-07-2023, 12:26 AM
Don’t bring JJ in next at Ballarat. He will blow his hammy again.

bornadog
22-07-2023, 12:27 AM
I have this bad feeling that JJ will replace VDM in defence and we will then swing him forward and drop West. Fingers crossed we don't see VDM forward again lets keep developing him defence and that should be VFL level next week.

West was ordinary tonight as was VDM

Mantis
22-07-2023, 12:28 AM
Don?t bring JJ in next at Ballarat. He will blow his hammy again.

I know it?s said a lot, but is there any statistical evidence that backs the premise that cold conditions = muscle strains?

angelopetraglia
22-07-2023, 01:41 AM
West did some nice things. No doubt. But seven touches and two tackles from 71% game time is just not good enough. He has to have a bigger impact than that.

angelopetraglia
22-07-2023, 01:44 AM
Weather forecast in Ballarat next Saturday. Obviously still a long way out.

Low 5c. High 12c. 20 km/h northerly wind. 90% chance of rain. 1-5mm.

angelopetraglia
22-07-2023, 01:45 AM
Listening to Bevo in the presser. If Rory plays well tomorrow in the VFL he will be back in.

Go_Dogs
22-07-2023, 08:27 AM
It’s a bit early but expect JJ to come back in

Lobb has to be a reasonable chance, but I’d be happy to persist with Buku for another week if Lobb doesn’t bang the door down

Baker, Buku, Duryea the 3 I’d be looking at as possible outs

bulldogtragic
22-07-2023, 09:17 AM
West did some nice things. No doubt. But seven touches and two tackles from 71% game time is just not good enough. He has to have a bigger impact than that.

As far as everyone playing that role this year, it was better. He was generally assured with the footy, kicked a clutch rovers goal off the pack, had four score involvements, chased hard and applied pressure and when he had a chance to physically impose himself he knocked the suitcase out of a chasing Essendon player that sent said player off the ground.

In context, that’s maybe a top 5 performance from players in that role this year (McNeil, Hannan, McComb, McLean). He needs more games and confidence. More importantly he nailed a clutch snap when we desperately needed it. Like Baker with his shot, the guys breaking into the side need to nail their crucial lines. They did. I’m happy enough. Let others rack up 20 and 30 touches.

macca
22-07-2023, 09:24 AM
I have belief in West he will become a good player , maybe one of pose 50 game players to find his rythmn. He contributed last night and had made impact to the contests.

GVGjr
22-07-2023, 09:27 AM
Listening to Bevo in the presser. If Rory plays well tomorrow in the VFL he will be back in.

Rory needs to find some form no doubt but our lack of depth in the 2nd ruck spot hurts us.

kruder
22-07-2023, 09:41 AM
West was ordinary tonight as was VDM

The club needs to back him in there is an AFL player there no doubt but we too often drop him straight away off an quiet night.

I just don't want to see VDM ever near a forward line again.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2023, 09:45 AM
The club needs to back him in there is an AFL player there no doubt but we too often drop him straight away off an quiet night.

I didn’t think he was that bad, as posted in another thread. He needs games and confidence. But a crucial snap, four score involvements, chasing hard, smashing an opponent from the ground, that’s an improvement to what been dished up by the likes of McLean, McComb, McNeil and McHannan. Kicking critical goals isn’t something we’ve been blessed with from players in this role. And I agree, I think West as a player for sure.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-07-2023, 11:27 AM
I didn’t think he was that bad, as posted in another thread. He needs games and confidence. But a crucial snap, four score involvements, chasing hard, smashing an opponent from the ground, that’s an improvement to what been dished up by the likes of McLean, McComb, McNeil and McHannan. Kicking critical goals isn’t something we’ve been blessed with from players in this role. And I agree, I think West as a player for sure.

Also didn't think he was too bad. Didn't do much but didn't do much wrong either. His pace and pressure was good and he had a few important 1%ers.

West just needs to keep cracking in. He has such good core strength and can play a role for us.

hujsh
22-07-2023, 11:34 AM

The other aspect of his game that needs examining though is the impact of his opponent. West got that one goal over the back (and nice to see someone finish an opportunity like that MCNEIL) but immediately after his opponent got an intercept mark with no interference from West. If Redmann was on him most of the game then West's opponent got 28 touches including 7 intercept touches

bulldogtragic
22-07-2023, 11:36 AM
The other aspect of his game that needs examining though is the impact of his opponent. West got that one goal over the back (and nice to see someone finish an opportunity like that MCNEIL) but immediately after his opponent got an intercept mark with no interference from West. If Redmann was on him most of the game then West's opponent got 28 touches including 7 intercept touches

Fair point. So who was on Redman out of curiosity then?

bornadog
22-07-2023, 11:51 AM

I wouldn't drop West at all at this stage, and agree VDM is not a good forward.

EasternWest
22-07-2023, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't drop West at all at this stage, and agree VDM is not good

I've edited this for accuracy

Grantysghost
22-07-2023, 12:03 PM
I've edited this for accuracy

Haha. This is what's known in the forum industry as "reverse McNeilling"

azabob
22-07-2023, 12:07 PM

Some counter points

Naughton could also be held to this account with Ridley on him.

Khamis also needs to take responsibility for not impacting the contest more.

Reality is Naughton and Khamis are more equipped to take care of intercepting players and not West.

The midfield also didn't do their role by limiting Essendon intercepting opportunities.

hujsh
22-07-2023, 12:19 PM
Fair point. So who was on Redman out of curiosity then?

Well in that example it was Redman. I'm not certain that's how it was the whole night

Some counter points

Reality is Naughton and Khamis are more equipped to take care of intercepting players and not West.

The midfield also didn't do their role by limiting Essendon intercepting opportunities.

Fair on Naughton. Khamis I think we all agree is probably not playing next week though. Kind of strange it felt like we kicked it more to him than Lobb though.

G-Mo77
22-07-2023, 12:23 PM
Well in that example it was Redman. I'm not certain that's how it was the whole night

Pretty sure most of the night it was Redman on West. Khamis was ineffective so both Redman and some other guy who's name escapes me had a free reign. West seemed to play deeper last night as opposed to previous games, Weightman higher so seemed a slightly different role.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-07-2023, 12:28 PM
Maybe not this week, but I really want us to give Bruce a chance as the third KPF/ruck. We've had limited success with Lobb while Darcy/Khamis aren't quite it (yet).

bulldogsthru&thru
22-07-2023, 01:09 PM
Some counter points

Khamis was not helped with delivery. I remember 3 times he was clear on a lead and had the ball kicked over his head.

We're very wasteful going inside 50. Not sure if its always the mids fault though.

Bullies
22-07-2023, 01:11 PM
Feel sorry for Buku, he really isn't a second ruck. Like you I prefer him in the backline. Buku is no good down back. He has no touch on opponents. When he last played down back the opposition would go through his opponent. He just doesn't have any awareness.

mjp
22-07-2023, 01:27 PM

He is 2nd to the ball. Get in front. It was u8's stuff.

mjp
22-07-2023, 01:29 PM
Buku is no good down back. He has no touch on opponents. When he last played down back the opposition would go through his opponent. He just doesn't have any awareness.

Buku was miles off the pace. Jumping under the ball to avoid contact? C'mon.

If he is going to be a player he needs an extended run of games but I don't see how he gets them. We would have been better with Lobb or Bruce in his role last night.

meenies
22-07-2023, 04:07 PM
Early call from first half at VFL but my two to come up are Lobb and Jones.

1eyedog
22-07-2023, 04:27 PM
It?s a bit early but expect JJ to come back in

Lobb has to be a reasonable chance, but I?d be happy to persist with Buku for another week if Lobb doesn?t bang the door down

Baker, Buku, Duryea the 3 I?d be looking at as possible outs

Did Buku actually touch the ball last night?

meenies
22-07-2023, 05:49 PM
Early call from first half at VFL but my two to come up are Lobb and Jones.

Spoke too soon for Jones - disappeared in second half. Garcia good all game if need a small.
Do think Bus would be good if given an opportunity.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2023, 05:54 PM
Lobb:

21 Disposals
10 Marks

Shit opponents, but solid numbers.

Mofra
22-07-2023, 05:59 PM
Lobb:

21 Disposals
10 Marks

Shit opponents, but solid numbers.
You can only play the opposition you're drawn against.
I think we've made our point, and Lobb comes in next week.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2023, 06:06 PM
You can only play the opposition you're drawn against.
I think we've made our point, and Lobb comes in next week.

Yep. Lobb for Buku looks certain. The earlier point about JJ’s hammy in Ballarat is a fair point. But VDM for JJ soon.

Buzz & Clarke with some good numbers too, but not sure they force a change. Unless we want a more mobile third KPD with Buzz. Clarke would be nice at Ballarat but then you probably need to move West or Scott to the sub, with Baker probably making way. Don’t think Baker was that bad.

Go_Dogs
22-07-2023, 06:51 PM
Did Buku actually touch the ball last night?

He actually had a few score involvements where he used the ball well to a teammates advantage.

He’s got some ability as a forward, but he’s not ahead of Naughton, Jamarra, Lobb, Darcy for those roles so he’s up against it.

I’d still love for us to try and make him into a winger. He needs a bigger motor but with his jump and ability to be a danger in the air at both ends it’s a role that could suit some of his attributes well.

Mofra
22-07-2023, 08:17 PM
He actually had a few score involvements where he used the ball well to a teammates advantage.

He’s got some ability as a forward, but he’s not ahead of Naughton, Jamarra, Lobb, Darcy for those roles so he’s up against it.

I’d still love for us to try and make him into a winger. He needs a bigger motor but with his jump and ability to be a danger in the air at both ends it’s a role that could suit some of his attributes well.
Running ability is the first, second and third most important attributes for a wingman.
Buks is nowhere near our better endurance runners.

Danjul
22-07-2023, 11:05 PM
Yep. Lobb for Buku looks certain. The earlier point about JJ?s hammy in Ballarat is a fair point. But VDM for JJ soon.

Buzz & Clarke with some good numbers too, but not sure they force a change. Unless we want a more mobile third KPD with Buzz. Clarke would be nice at Ballarat but then you probably need to move West or Scott to the sub, with Baker probably making way. Don?t think Baker was that bad.

I thought Baker was excellent. His linking run around the wing set up our first goal, later he got one of his own.

Why on earth was he on the bench for close to half the game?

westbulldog
23-07-2023, 12:28 AM
Lobb for Khamis
Cleary for Duryea
Busslinger for Bruce.

GVGjr
23-07-2023, 11:05 AM
Really hard to use that game against Northern Bullants as any guide but perhaps Lobb and McLean could be in the mix.
With Lobb though it's not really that important to look at his stats but more about where he led to.

While I expect Lobb to come in with our MC love of JOD could it be as simple as JOD in for Khamis with Bruce sliding into the side as the 3rd tall forward and relief ruckman?

hujsh
23-07-2023, 11:21 AM
Really hard to use that game against Northern Bullants as any guide but perhaps Lobb and McLean could be in the mix.
With Lobb though it's not really that important to look at his stats but more about where he led to.

While I expect Lobb to come in with our MC love of JOD could it be as simple as JOD in for Khamis with Bruce sliding into the side as the 3rd tall forward and relief ruckman?

Would we be setting Bruce up to fail having not played the position for nearly a year or does his experience negate the need for that?

azabob
23-07-2023, 11:38 AM

The Bulldogs Bite certainly has mentioned across a few threads he'd like to see Bruce go forward and be our relief ruckman.

Probably a bit late in the season but I agree we should leave no stone unturned to see what our best mix is.

Bulldog Joe
23-07-2023, 12:18 PM

I get what you are saying about JOD, but surely he needs some time at the lower level to develop.

Lobb was obviously sent back to find form and confidence. Despite the opposition he really couldn't have done more playing the role we need from him.

He must replace Khamis regardless of anything else if we are serious about challenging.

GVGjr
23-07-2023, 05:17 PM
Would we be setting Bruce up to fail having not played the position for nearly a year or does his experience negate the need for that?

If we think Lobb has done enough then that's the likely inclusion and I'm suggesting Bruce in case Lobb hasn't done enough.
He's worked with Marra and Naughton before and throughout his career he's mainly been a forward so it's not likes it's a Hail Mary suggestion. Lobb's been struggling, Darcy wasn't ready and Khamis isn't the answer to being used in the ruck so perhaps all roads lead to the Bruce highway.

GVGjr
23-07-2023, 05:25 PM
I get what you are saying about JOD, but surely he needs some time at the lower level to develop.

Lobb was obviously sent back to find form and confidence. Despite the opposition he really couldn't have done more playing the role we need from him.

He must replace Khamis regardless of anything else if we are serious about challenging.

Re JOD, Most of us have been saying that all along however, the MC is seeing something in him and perhaps they believe in fast tracking him regardless. He probably shouldn't be picked and 6 possessions a game in an 8 game career would suggest that but I'm not betting against it.

Re Lobb, I'm not sure the 'Kramer dominating the Dojo' theme should cut it at the professional level. Perhaps it will and it would certainly be the easiest selection to explain. With no VFL game next it week it should strengthen his claims.

Bullies
23-07-2023, 06:00 PM
Re JOD, Most of us have been saying that all along however, the MC is seeing something in him and perhaps they believe in fast tracking him regardless. He probably shouldn't be picked and 6 possessions a game in an 8 game career would suggest that but I'm not betting against it.

Re Lobb, I'm not sure the 'Kramer dominating the Dojo' theme should cut it at the professional level. Perhaps it will and it would certainly be the easiest selection to explain. With no VFL game next it week it should strengthen his claims. MC are very happy with JOD and the roles he has been given and the way he is performing. Might not be getting a high possession count but doing a job. The intercept marks will come soon enough once he gets used to the speed and when to go for his grabs. At present his role is to negate an opponent.

Mantis
24-07-2023, 10:13 AM
The Bulldogs Bite certainly has mentioned across a few threads he'd like to see Bruce go forward and be our relief ruckman.

Probably a bit late in the season but I agree we should leave no stone unturned to see what our best mix is.

Bruce couldn't jump last year when he tried to relieve in the ruck and it certainly hasn't improved this year... it's a no from me.

Rocco Jones
24-07-2023, 10:58 AM
Don't think we will/should see Bruce in the 2nd ruck/forward role. I'd play him there in the VFL for a week or two first if that was the plan.

My thoughts

Lobb v Buku- thought last week was about selection integrity/setting a standard. Khamis stronger than Lobb in the VFL a week previous. Really hard to read too much into the VFL. Swans VFL depth pretty poor and obviously very difficult to read much into the Preston game but assuming Lobb displayed a decent attitude, he is back in for mine. If he was seen to be coasting or whatever, we
have a decision to make.

I'd go with Lobb unless he wasn't meeting standards v Preston (stats indicate he was pretty involved).

Bruce v JOD- think this one comes down a lot more to the needs of the team rather than the two individuals. Neither are great, I think the side could do more with a mobile medium/tall type and that's what JOD is. Bruce play 100% TOG, which helps. Also, we restricted Essendon to 49 with Bruce there but I think that's largely to other things. GWS probably going in with Cadman and Riccardi. Callum Brown seems to suit JOD. Greene obviously their main threat.

I'd go with JOD if he is okay to go. Sure fans will lose it.

I like Cleary but he seems out of favour or maybe we are just trying to develop him in the VFL.

I'd swap Baker and Truck in the sub role.

Mofra
24-07-2023, 11:07 AM
If we think Lobb has done enough then that's the likely inclusion and I'm suggesting Bruce in case Lobb hasn't done enough.
He's worked with Marra and Naughton before and throughout his career he's mainly been a forward so it's not likes it's a Hail Mary suggestion. Lobb's been struggling, Darcy wasn't ready and Khamis isn't the answer to being used in the ruck so perhaps all roads lead to the Bruce highway.
I think Lobb's disappointing form is still more than what Bruce can or will produce in the role.
We've got two more years of Lobb after this. He's had his demotion/whack. Time to get him back in because as a second ruck he's a decent option.
His marking as a forward is below par but he does have one very good attribute nobody seems to talk about - he stays the hell out of Naughton & Marra's way,

bulldogtragic
24-07-2023, 11:10 AM
I think Lobb's disappointing form is still more than what Bruce can or will produce in the role.
We've got two more years of Lobb after this. He's had his demotion/whack. Time to get him back in because as a second ruck he's a decent option.
His marking as a forward is below par but he does have one very good attribute nobody seems to talk about - he stays the hell out of Naughton & Marra's way,

You’d think Lobb going from leading goal kicker at Freo to playing against local footballers at Preston was the whack around the ears he probably didn’t want and won’t want again. We need to run him into form and confidence if we make finals. No time like the right time.

GVGjr
24-07-2023, 11:47 AM

I do as well but could one round against such a poorly performed team really have run him into form?
We were happy enough to roll the dice with Khamis and it didn't work and I think Bruce would have been an upgrade in that scenario.

jeemak
24-07-2023, 12:54 PM
I do as well but could one round against such a poorly performed team really have run him into form?
We were happy enough to roll the dice with Khamis and it didn't work and I think Bruce would have been an upgrade in that scenario.

Bruce has no form of any sort in the role and Khamis showed that he's not at all suited to it.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-07-2023, 01:07 PM
What are we going to do about Toby Greene? He's in incredible form. Who goes to him?

Axe Man
24-07-2023, 01:12 PM
What are we going to do about Toby Greene? He's in incredible form. Who goes to him?

It can't be Duryea, probably Ed?

lemmon
24-07-2023, 01:25 PM
In - Lobb, Buss
Out - Khamis, Bruce

Buss is a kid, but I think is the best third-tall defensive option on the list at the moment. Happy for him to have a taste knowing that Jones is probably a week away. Bruce was better in the second half against the Dons, but his first quarter was all over the place. Besides Greene, this is a raw GWS forward line.

Lobb straight in for Khamis. It's clearly between he and Darcy for that relief ruck spot, so Lobb straight back in.

I'd like to squeeze Bailey Williams in and suspect MC probably will, but Baker and Poulter deserve to hold their places.

GVGjr
24-07-2023, 01:34 PM

Could Bailey Williams do the job for us?

bornadog
24-07-2023, 01:41 PM
Could Bailey Williams do the job for us?

I was thinking of the same. Ed would be a waste as we want him running off half back, same with Dale. Tobby has a good leap, so you want someone that could match him.

Axe Man
24-07-2023, 01:50 PM
I was thinking of the same. Ed would be a waste as we want him running off half back, same with Dale. Tobby has a good leap, so you want someone that could match him.

No way is it a waste if Ed can curtail Toby Greene. If he's kept relatively quiet GWS won't win. He can still rebound, it would more limit his intercept ability and I'm willing to accept that.

1eyedog
24-07-2023, 02:18 PM

I'd put West on him to start.

Mantis
24-07-2023, 02:19 PM
No way is it a waste if Ed can curtail Toby Greene. If he's kept relatively quiet GWS won't win. He can still rebound, it would more limit his intercept ability and I'm willing to accept that.

With no Hogan, Greene is the only forward of real class to be concerned about so I'm happy to play our best medium defender (Ed) on him. Ed is a couple of inches taller so should be a good match for him in the air.

Mofra
24-07-2023, 02:43 PM
*2 rounds.
I think playing on a VFL mud heap against the poorest performed part timers in the land is enough of a wake up call.

He is what he is. If he takes a tall and gives Naughton and Marra more chance of a one on one contest, ignore his stats, take it and run. I couldn't care less if he's playing twos in other weeks when we have better options for his role, but until Darcy recovers (and gets another pre-season under his belt) right now Lobb is the man.

macca
24-07-2023, 02:58 PM
Lobb would want to get back to AFL. I am backing that he has a drive to win a Premiership, and he knows his one important piece to our puzzle.

His been paid heaps of money from GWS and Freo but its the Premiership that he would want to get. Thats the ultimate for all players.

I would be disappointed as a supporter if he does not have that drive.

angelopetraglia
24-07-2023, 03:13 PM
Last time we played them. Tom Green kicked 3.1 and Jess Hogan kicked 2.3. They are both not playing, but Toby probably negates that as a forward threat.

However Tom Green had 38 touches, 9 tackles and 634m gained as well as helping himself to three goals. I'm glad he is not playing.

GVGjr
24-07-2023, 03:14 PM
Lobb would want to get back to AFL. I am backing that he has a drive to win a Premiership, and he knows his one important piece to our puzzle.

His been paid heaps of money from GWS and Freo but its the Premiership that he would want to get. Thats the ultimate for all players.

I would be disappointed as a supporter if he does not have that drive.

I don't question his motives or effort at all and we have to make allowances for him being a bit laconic.
He has plenty of ability as well because he was Freo's number 1 forward target last year and performed well.

The fact is being the 3rd banana in our tall forward set-up hasn't worked yet and of one game at the VFL where he got a bit of the footy is the cure then we should bring him back.

GVGjr
24-07-2023, 03:15 PM
Last time we played them. Tom Green kicked 3.1 and Jess Hogan kicked 2.3. They are both not playing, but Toby probably negates that as a forward threat.

However Tom Green had 38 touches, 9 tackles and 634m gained as well as helping himself to three goals. I'm glad he is not playing.

Is Tom Green a confirmed out? if so that's a positive.

angelopetraglia
24-07-2023, 03:19 PM

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/1383641/rehab-report-round-19

This is from six days ago from the Giants "Meanwhile, midfield bull Tom Green is expected to miss another fortnight after sustaining a low-grade hamstring at training last week."

Sedat
24-07-2023, 03:21 PM
https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/1383641/rehab-report-round-19

"Meanwhile, midfield bull Tom Green is expected to miss another fortnight after sustaining a low-grade hamstring at training last week."
Massive out. As good as Toby Greene is, Tom Green out of their midfield is a huge advantage for us in the coalface. He almost single-handedly got them back in the game against us last time.

GVGjr
24-07-2023, 03:25 PM
Massive out. As good as Toby Greene is, Tom Green out of their midfield gives is a huge advantage for us in the coalface. He almost single-handedly got them back in the game against us last time.

It was an impressive performance and if we can curb Toby Greene we will have a better chance.
Tom Green has really performed well for them this year.

Mantis
24-07-2023, 03:36 PM
Sam Taylor missed the clash earlier in the season and hasn't missed a beat on return and along with Buckley and Himmelberg present a tough task for Naughton, Jamarra and our 3rd tall (Lobb or Khamis)... We will need Naughton to compete strongly with Taylor who was averaging 12 intercepts per game over his previous 6 before yesterday's clash with the Suns and was very good again yesterday.

lemmon
24-07-2023, 03:41 PM
Sam Taylor missed the clash earlier in the season and hasn't missed a beat on return and along with Buckley and Himmelberg present a tough task for Naughton, Jamarra and our 3rd tall (Lobb or Khamis)... We will need Naughton to compete strongly with Taylor who was averaging 12 intercepts per game over his previous 6 before yesterday's clash with the Suns and was very good again yesterday.

Great point - I think it might be a pretty dour affair. Their backline is very good and when we play well we do a good job at restricting scoring. Throw in the cold of Ballarat and it's going to be an arm wrestle.

I think they might send Buckley to Naughton first up - he was exceptional on Naughts in the first game outside of a burst in the final term, and try to dominate Marra with Taylor.

MrMahatma
24-07-2023, 03:47 PM
Feels like a danger game.

So did Essendon.

So does Tigers.

So does Hawks.

Should be a nerve wracking ride from here until the end of the H&A.

Sedat
24-07-2023, 03:48 PM
Are their small defenders in good form? Weightman could be a very important avenue for us to score this week.

Critter
24-07-2023, 03:52 PM
With no Hogan, Greene is the only forward of real class to be concerned about so I'm happy to play our best medium defender (Ed) on him. Ed is a couple of inches taller so should be a good match for him in the air.

Agree. Ed is the only quality defender we have, of any size. Stop Greene and we're just about over the line.

Mantis
24-07-2023, 03:55 PM
Are their small defenders in good form? Weightman could be a very important avenue for us to score this week.

They don't really have any 'small defenders'.. Haynes, Cumming, Idun and Whitfield were all in defence yesterday and aren't your typical smalls.

To GG's point the Giants have won their last 6 in a row which includes wins against Melb & Adel (in Adel) so are very much a form team, and sure they've had some easy ones in their too, but all you can do is win... and their good form is on the back of a very good defence so we are going to have to use the ball efficiently.

angelopetraglia
24-07-2023, 03:58 PM
Weather update. Looks like a typical winter day in Ballarat. Min 3c. Max 11c. Wind 15-20 km/h NW. 60% chance of a shower.

Do we need to be careful not to go in too tall?

bulldogsthru&thru
24-07-2023, 04:02 PM
Feels like a danger game.

So did Essendon.

So does Tigers.

So does Hawks.

Should be a nerve wracking ride from here until the end of the H&A.

We need to win 3 of 5 to secure top 8.

Assume we beat the Eagles. We lose to Geelong (no assumption needed).

Means we need 2 wins from giants, tigers and hawks. We sure as hell don't want to be going into the tigers match with almost a must win scenario. Beating the giants this week would get us on the front foot.

Critter
24-07-2023, 04:02 PM

Green was reported as being out for 2 weeks after missing GWS vs Adelaide game on 15 July. That's somewhat ambiguous. It may be that he's back for our game.

angelopetraglia
24-07-2023, 04:07 PM
Green was reported as being out for 2 weeks after missing GWS vs Adelaide game on 15 July. That's somewhat ambiguous. It may be that he's back for our game.

This is from July 18. https://www.zerohanger.com/gws-provide-latest-on-injured-midfield-pair-tom-green-and-finn-callaghan-140007/

It says he will miss another fortnight.

"GWS will remain without star midfielder Tom Green for another fortnight as he deals with a hamstring issue, while young onballer Finn Callaghan is no certainty to face Gold Coast this weekend."

Also. Before the Crows game. https://www.zerohanger.com/giants-suffer-huge-blow-as-tom-green-ruled-out-of-crucial-crows-clash-139825/

"While Kingsley did not initially comment on Green's return-to-play timeline, the young midfielder is expected to miss three games after scans revealed a low-grade strain."

Who knows. But it looks like a standard three week hammy injury to me.

jeemak
24-07-2023, 04:19 PM
Play him with a dodgy hammy in Ballarat and see how he goes.......

bornadog
24-07-2023, 04:59 PM
This is from July 18. https://www.zerohanger.com/gws-provide-latest-on-injured-midfield-pair-tom-green-and-finn-callaghan-140007/

"GWS will remain without star midfielder Tom Green for another fortnight as he deals with a hamstring issue, while young onballer Finn Callaghan is no certainty to face Gold Coast this weekend."

Also. Before the Crows game. https://www.zerohanger.com/giants-suffer-huge-blow-as-tom-green-ruled-out-of-crucial-crows-clash-139825/

"While Kingsley did not initially comment on Green's return-to-play timeline, the young midfielder is expected to miss three games after scans revealed a low-grade strain."

Hopefully he is still out

angelopetraglia
24-07-2023, 04:59 PM
JJ is good to go.

"WESTERN Bulldogs half-back Jason Johannisen is set to return against Greater Western Sydney this Saturday after recovering from the hamstring injury that has sidelined him since round 10."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/987109/dogs-set-to-welcome-back-jj-ahead-of-giants-clash

bulldogsthru&thru
24-07-2023, 05:00 PM
Hopefully he is still out

Wronge Greene

bulldogsthru&thru
24-07-2023, 05:00 PM
JJ is good to go.

"WESTERN Bulldogs half-back Jason Johannisen is set to return against Greater Western Sydney this Saturday after recovering from the hamstring injury that has sidelined him since round 10."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/987109/dogs-set-to-welcome-back-jj-ahead-of-giants-clash

Oh God please have him return through the vfl. He did his hammy in Ballarat!

bornadog
24-07-2023, 05:04 PM
Wronge Greene

Tom Green also a damaging player

Axe Man
24-07-2023, 06:01 PM
Oh God please have him return through the vfl. He did his hammy in Ballarat!

Footscray don't play this week and he is either right to go or he isn't. No point playing VFL.

bornadog
24-07-2023, 06:10 PM
Footscray don't play this week and he is either right to go or he isn't. No point playing VFL.

Who does he replace?

Axe Man
24-07-2023, 06:19 PM
Who does he replace?

No brainer to replace Vandermeer, even though I am not as critical of his performances as others have been.

angelopetraglia
24-07-2023, 06:26 PM
No brainer to replace Vandermeer, even though I am not as critical of his performances as others have been.

On exposed form this year. VDM is a poor man's JJ. JJ is an obvious upgrade.

kruder
24-07-2023, 08:38 PM
Beat the Giants this weekend, I reckon it guarantees that we finish in front of them with their tough run home.

jeemak
24-07-2023, 08:51 PM

As long as they've already held him back for a week or so I'm fine with him returning straight to the seniors. No use him doing his hammy at Footscray if they had a game.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-07-2023, 09:36 PM
As long as they've already held him back for a week or so I'm fine with him returning straight to the seniors. No use him doing his hammy at Footscray if they had a game.

If the game was at Marvel I'd be fine with playing him. But in the cold of Ballarat where he last did it, I'd be giving him another week.

MrMahatma
24-07-2023, 09:37 PM
If the game was at Marvel I'd be fine with playing him. But in the cold of Ballarat where he last did it, I'd be giving him another week.

Maybe he’s the sub?

Rocco Jones
25-07-2023, 08:16 PM
In- JJ, JOD, Lobb, Truck (into 22)
Out- Vanders, Bruce, Khamis. Baker (sub)

DOG GOD
25-07-2023, 11:13 PM
I?m expecting someone like Riccardi to spud it up and kick 4.

Mantis
26-07-2023, 07:31 AM
I?m expecting someone like Riccardi to spud it up and kick 4.

Last week it was 2MP will kick 6, you were 1/2 right… this week it’s this.

At some point does the negative undertone change? I know it’s your thing, but does it need to be the same every week?

G-Mo77
26-07-2023, 08:49 AM
In- JJ, JOD, Lobb, Truck (into 22)
Out- Vanders, Bruce, Khamis. Baker (sub)

I'm onboard with this Rocco. Without knowing too much about GWS forwards do we need to bring in JOD. Can we cover with Bruce? Can we go in shorter and leave Baker?

I just don't see JOD as a walk up start.

Hotdog60
26-07-2023, 09:21 AM
I know the opposition wasn't much but it's the second game in a row that Sweet has had a good game.
Jordon Sweet dominated in the ruck with 50 hitouts, 23 touches, two goals and nine tackles
You know how we always say it take time for ruckman to hit their straps it would be a shame to see Sweet comes under that category and becomes an AA ruck at another club.

Bullies
26-07-2023, 09:58 AM
I?m expecting someone like Riccardi to spud it up and kick 4. I think JOD will play on Riccardi. He seems to be given those roles.

Bullies
26-07-2023, 10:02 AM
I'm onboard with this Rocco. Without knowing too much about GWS forwards do we need to bring in JOD. Can we cover with Bruce? Can we go in shorter and leave Baker?

I just don't see JOD as a walk up start. MC like JOD because of the flexibility he gives. Can play on tall/mid/small. May not have got a lot of it in his games but either have the guys he has been playing on. His attacking game will follow once he gets used to the pace.

Critter
26-07-2023, 11:10 AM

GWS website confirms Tom Green will miss this week.

ReLoad
26-07-2023, 11:29 AM
GWS website confirms Tom Green will miss this week.

That’s a massive out for them. Good news

soupman
26-07-2023, 02:04 PM
I know the opposition wasn't much but it's the second game in a row that Sweet has had a good game.
Jordon Sweet dominated in the ruck with 50 hitouts, 23 touches, two goals and nine tackles
You know how we always say it take time for ruckman to hit their straps it would be a shame to see Sweet comes under that category and becomes an AA ruck at another club.

I know people are fans of him but I haven't seen anyone lean hard enough into the meme to say he is potential AA calibre.

Rocco Jones
26-07-2023, 02:52 PM

I just don't see JOD as a walk up start.

I think JOD will play on Riccardi. He seems to be given those roles.

MC like JOD because of the flexibility he gives. Can play on tall/mid/small. May not have got a lot of it in his games but either have the guys he has been playing on. His attacking game will follow once he gets used to the pace.

Giants go a bit smaller I think. Partially I guess out of necessity and partially because Greene is such a target. They also go a bit smaller with the second ruck.

I think they will roll with Riccardi and Cadman as their talls. Callum Brown is 188cm and he relieves in the ruck. I think Keath and Gardner take the talls and JOD goes to Brown when he is forward.

Hotdog60
26-07-2023, 03:30 PM
I know people are fans of him but I haven't seen anyone lean hard enough into the meme to say he is potential AA calibre.

It's one of life great unknowns and he could very well track as he has been. But on the flip side he could hit 28 and be a star of the competition. I think he is mobile enough and he is aggressive enough has very good ruck craft but its his marking ability. If his hands suddenly come good then I think that will make the difference between a VFL player or an AFL player.

GVGjr
26-07-2023, 09:47 PM
Richards missed the main session so might be in some doubt

westbulldog
26-07-2023, 09:48 PM
Our genius match committee deem Sweet worthy of being an almost permanent emergency without any run of opportunities. The young man has been crucified at this club, he should go elsewhere where I hope he gets treated reasonably and kills it. Cleary is being driven down the same path whereas McNeill is seemingly assessed as being a future star albeit he can't kick a goal from 20m and in general provides sfa.

Grantysghost
26-07-2023, 09:54 PM
Our genius match committee deem Sweet worthy of being an almost permanent emergency without any run of opportunities. The young man has been crucified at this club, he should go elsewhere where I hope he gets treated reasonably and kills it. Cleary is being driven down the same path whereas McNeill is seemingly assessed as being a future star albeit he can't kick a goal from 20m and in general provides sfa. https://media.giphy.com/media/eNRSFMmu9Q1PVQmMoJ/giphy.gif

kruder
26-07-2023, 10:16 PM
Richards missed the main session so might be in some doubt

Hopefully not a hammy.

jeemak
27-07-2023, 12:22 AM
Our genius match committee deem Sweet worthy of being an almost permanent emergency without any run of opportunities. The young man has been crucified at this club, he should go elsewhere where I hope he gets treated reasonably and kills it. Cleary is being driven down the same path whereas McNeill is seemingly assessed as being a future star albeit he can't kick a goal from 20m and in general provides sfa.

I dunno, we gave Sweet a chance when nobody else was likely to and we've developed him. It's not all one way and while he may have played more games it's just the life of a back up and some people in the AFL are back ups.

Cleary's a second year player. He'll get his chance if he sticks to it.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-07-2023, 07:17 PM
JJ and Lobb in.

Buku, Baker and West out.

Guessing West will be sub.

azabob
27-07-2023, 07:20 PM
AFL Team | Round 20
Western Bulldogs v GWS
Saturday 29 July, 1.45pm AEST
Mars Stadium

B: Laith Vandermeer, Josh Bruce, Taylor Duryea

HB: Bailey Dale, Alex Keath, Ed Richards

C: Caleb Poulter, Marcus Bontempelli, Anthony Scott

HF: Jack Macrae, Aaron Naughton, Caleb Daniel

F: Cody Weightman, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Bailey Smith

R: Tim English, Adam Treloar, Tom Liberatore

Int: Bailey Williams, Jason Johannisen, Ryan Gardner, Rory Lobb

Sub: Rhylee West

Emer: Oskar Baker, Jordon Sweet, Luke Cleary

bornadog
27-07-2023, 07:22 PM
VDM to forward line

kruder
27-07-2023, 07:40 PM
VDM to forward line

I nearly choked on my cuppa when I saw that. Feel for Westy.

G-Mo77
27-07-2023, 07:46 PM
I nearly choked on my cuppa when I saw that. Feel for Westy.

Wasn't his best but certainly wasn't his worst. Different set of rules for him it seems, holds no credits from previous weeks like others, now will be sub, dropped and probably not seen again this season.

westbulldog
27-07-2023, 07:47 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/eNRSFMmu9Q1PVQmMoJ/giphy.gif

Oh dear, how dare I make an error !

Go_Dogs
27-07-2023, 07:59 PM
VDM to forward line

Your thoughts or did Bevo say that? Named in the backline.

Don’t mind it - think his run has been important.

1eyedog
27-07-2023, 08:27 PM
JJ and Lobb in.

Buku, Baker and West out.

Guessing West will be sub.

FFS there goes my Toby Greene matchup. Prolly kick 6 now.

Eastdog
27-07-2023, 08:30 PM
Nice to have JJ back. We have missed him off half back.

angelopetraglia
27-07-2023, 08:36 PM
What’s up with Nick Haynes being out of the 22?

bornadog
27-07-2023, 08:37 PM
Your thoughts or did Bevo say that? Named in the backline.

Don’t mind it - think his run has been important.

My thought because West is out

Bullies
27-07-2023, 08:46 PM
What’s up with Nick Haynes being out of the 22? Has been in and out of the team for a few weeks. Taylor and Buckley their key backs now.

G-Mo77
27-07-2023, 08:48 PM
What’s up with Nick Haynes being out of the 22?

Scared of Bont.

angelopetraglia
27-07-2023, 09:04 PM
Has been in and out of the team for a few weeks. Taylor and Buckley their key backs now.

Thanks. I have always respected him as a player. Probably highlights how well the other two are going.

Bumper Bulldogs
27-07-2023, 09:52 PM
Has been in and out of the team for a few weeks. Taylor and Buckley their key backs now.
So Haynes is trade bait now

Guttered West is out. VDM is not a forward, I would have West in, Vdm or Poulter fight for the wing. With Lobb back we need lock in forwards

bornadog
27-07-2023, 09:57 PM
So he is trade bait now

Guttered West is out. VDM is not a forward, I would have West in, Vdm or Poulter fight for the wing. With Lobb back we need lock in forwards

VDM may still play back, I was just guessing.

Rocco Jones
27-07-2023, 10:00 PM
VDM may still play back, I was just guessing.

JJ is back, Westy is out. I would have assumed Vanders would play forward too. Maybe he is in due to offering a bit more versatility. I am sure a lot of fans will be pissed off Westy is out and Vanders is in. I see both are really limited players but I think if you haven't got much, speed or lack thereof is huge.

Eastdog
27-07-2023, 10:14 PM
My thought because West is out

Yeah West been very good when he has played. Disappointing he is not in.

bornadog
27-07-2023, 10:15 PM
Yeah West been very good when he has played. Disappointing he is not in.

I thought he was ordinary last week.

Eastdog
27-07-2023, 10:25 PM
I thought he was ordinary last week.

The great last quarter he had v Freo coming on as the sub I think I’m going back to but yes he needs to find more consistency.

FrediKanoute
27-07-2023, 11:29 PM
Wasn't his best but certainly wasn't his worst. Different set of rules for him it seems, holds no credits from previous weeks like others, now will be sub, dropped and probably not seen again this season.

Its a joke. It really is. I also can't see why we have dropped Baker.

bulldogtragic
27-07-2023, 11:58 PM
Its a joke. It really is. I also can't see why we have dropped Baker.

MC clearly have and play favourites. Must be nice to put out average games and keep getting games while everyone else yo-up’s in and out. Or not even get a look in with good VFL form. But that’s their right and prerogative to play favourites while they hold the job/s. I don’t understand it, but maybe I’m not meant to.

1eyedog
28-07-2023, 12:08 AM
Baker does tend to run one way and I guess the MC see VDM as a better pressure player.

FrediKanoute
28-07-2023, 12:09 AM
I dont think West's game last week was great, but it wasn't poor either.

The body of work he has produced to that point should have bought him credits.

Glad he is the sub. Hopefully he can have an impact.

Mantis
28-07-2023, 07:31 AM
Surprised we go with Bruce again due to the fact that GWS aren?t overly tall up forward. Just don?t see how we use all of Keath, Gardner and Bruce who aren?t attacking weapons.

azabob
28-07-2023, 08:43 AM
Surprised we go with Bruce again due to the fact that GWS aren?t overly tall up forward. Just don?t see how we use all of Keath, Gardner and Bruce who aren?t attacking weapons.

Team structure. We have done it all year. 3 tall backs, 3 tall forwards.

Mantis
28-07-2023, 09:28 AM
Team structure. We have done it all year. 3 tall backs, 3 tall forwards.

We have used O'Brien as the 3rd tall back on occassions, especially against teams with only 2 tall forwards who doesn't play as a traditional tall, more a medium/tall.

As mentioned, the 3 we have in are very limited as attacking options so if they get a mis-match I don't feel comfortable they will exploit it.

Rocco Jones
28-07-2023, 10:29 AM

It's a tough one as we really lack medium/mobile tall options. Essendon only had the two talls as well. Maybe we are thinking more team defence minded? Bruce and Keath go to Cadman and Riccardi. Gardner perhaps on least mobile guy left. Cleary is out of favour, he is who I would have selected. It's why the MC is right to look at JOD (don't agree with him being in the side in any spot other than KPD3 though).

MrMahatma
28-07-2023, 10:36 AM
We have used O'Brien as the 3rd tall back on occassions, especially against teams with only 2 tall forwards who doesn't play as a traditional tall, more a medium/tall.

As mentioned, the 3 we have in are very limited as attacking options so if they get a mis-match I don't feel comfortable they will exploit it.

Yeah, I gotta say I don't like the mix. I'm typically positive when watching the match and cheering the guys on, but this year I've been pretty regularly going "Don't pass it to Keath... oh, Bruce, get rid of it... Gardy... kick... straight up in the air again?!"

azabob
28-07-2023, 11:01 AM

I don't disagree. I would have preferred JOD or Buslinger to play this week purely due to the lack of mobility and poor execution skills of the three talls.

bornadog
28-07-2023, 11:11 AM
It's a tough one as we really lack medium/mobile tall options. Essendon only had the two talls as well. Maybe we are thinking more team defence minded? Bruce and Keath go to Cadman and Riccardi. Gardner perhaps on least mobile guy left. Cleary is out of favour, he is who I would have selected. It's why the MC is right to look at JOD (don't agree with him being in the side in any spot other than KPD3 though).

Can Gardner take Greene?

Rocco Jones
28-07-2023, 11:23 AM
Can Gardner take Greene?

I want to look at what works on him. Different match ups can work on certain gun mediums. I'd assume Greene would be way too crafty and agile for him but I'd be interested to see type that has fared (relatively) well on him historically. I would assume Ed is the best option. Maybe Gardner on Lloyd or Callum Brown. I think it'll be more a team defence type job.

lemmon
28-07-2023, 11:34 AM
Can Gardner take Greene?

They seemed to play Gardner on the third tall last week, thought he spent most of his time on Langford going by the TV.

I'd still be more comfortable with Richards locking down on Greene and Laith staying down back to off-set some of the run we'd lose from Richards playing more of a sacrificial game.

bornadog
28-07-2023, 11:58 AM
They seemed to play Gardner on the third tall last week, thought he spent most of his time on Langford going by the TV.

I'd still be more comfortable with Richards locking down on Greene and Laith staying down back to off-set some of the run we'd lose from Richards playing more of a sacrificial game.

Ed is out and Cleary comes in

Richards ruled out of Giants clash (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1388196/richards-ruled-out-of-giants-clash)

G-Mo77
28-07-2023, 12:04 PM
That's a bummer. Happy for Cleary but Ed out is a big blow

JanLorMill
28-07-2023, 12:11 PM
I think Greene would beat Gardner easily if played on him. Gardner doesn’t want the ball and lets his opponent make the first move always. Dureya is the best option

hujsh
28-07-2023, 12:30 PM
A bit of a relief Richards is just unwell and not fully injured again though. Look forward to seeing what Cleary brings to the side

ledge
28-07-2023, 01:15 PM
A bit of a relief Richards is just unwell and not fully injured again though. Look forward to seeing what Cleary brings to the side

He will bring run but wouldn’t have the intercept marking Richards gives us I would think.
Hopefully Lobb or English can fill in, in that department.
We really need to win this one . I’m not a fan of playing in Ballarat , I don’t think the ground suits us at all.

angelopetraglia
28-07-2023, 01:27 PM
He will bring run but wouldn?t have the intercept marking Richards gives us I would think.
Hopefully Lobb or English can fill in, in that department.
We really need to win this one . I?m not a fan of playing in Ballarat , I don?t think the ground suits us at all.

We have played 10 times at the ground for 7 wins. 70% win ratio would say we go OK. (Our win ratio at Docklands is 51% albeit misleading as we only play interstate teams at Ballarat and have only been playing there since we have been regular playing finals).

mjp
28-07-2023, 02:31 PM
I dont think West's game last week was great, but it wasn't poor either.

West was poor last week.

Continually played from behind - non-negotiable for me.

mjp
28-07-2023, 02:35 PM

I think you can mark this down. He's been back there since early in the year and I think the MC is determined to make a go of it.

Mofra
28-07-2023, 02:51 PM
VDM has a little bit of mongrel. Perhaps he gets first crack at Greene?
With Hogan out does Himmelberg swing forward?

I just don't see a match up for Bruce this week - Riccardi and Cadman are pretty mobile.

We need to go hard lockdown on Ash.

bornadog
28-07-2023, 03:59 PM

I don't think he will match him aerially

azabob
28-07-2023, 04:08 PM
I don't think he will match him aerially

Aerially, or on the ground, or for football smarts.

Greene is damn good, he'd probably also out run VDM!!

hujsh
28-07-2023, 04:08 PM
With Hogan out does Himmelberg swing forward?

I just don't see a match up for Bruce this week - Riccardi and Cadman are pretty mobile.

We need to go hard lockdown on Ash.

Are you trying to see how many goals Green can kick in a match? I'd back him for 10

Grantysghost
28-07-2023, 04:19 PM
Aerially, or on the ground, or for football smarts.

Greene is damn good, he'd probably also out run VDM!!

Nobody can stop Greene. He's just too good.

We just need to manage the damage.

That is partially clean supply, partially team defence.

If he only gets 2 it's a massive win.

Bullies
28-07-2023, 04:29 PM
I don't disagree. I would have preferred JOD or Buslinger to play this week purely due to the lack of mobility and poor execution skills of the three talls. One player they need to watch is Callum Brown. This kid can play and hard it as well and has pace.

westbulldog
28-07-2023, 05:39 PM
I think Bruce is too slow and not up to the backline however he does have forward smarts, is strong and I would put him on Taylor to "close check" their best defender.

bornadog
28-07-2023, 06:09 PM
I think Bruce is too slow and not up to the backline however he does have forward smarts, is strong and I would put him on Taylor to "close check" their best defender.

so 4 man tall forward line

josie
28-07-2023, 06:42 PM
Good luck young Luke Cleary - hope you play well and make it difficult for MC to drop you. Also hoping you can lay some strong tackles too, as we already know your disposal and link up play is pretty good.

No doubt we’ll miss Richards run but hopefully JJ can bridge that a bit for us. My heart will be in my mouth praying for no hamstring or similar injuries to our players.

My bet is on Bailey Smith putting in a pearler - if my memory is correct he was pretty damn good our last outing at Mars. So much depends upon how well we deliver into F50 and how well we can keep it in there.

Go Dogs!!!

mjp
28-07-2023, 06:48 PM

Yeah - 100%...with Lobb back in we can't do this (unless you want to move Naughton or Jamarra back).

Taylor vs Naughton is worth the price of admission.

westbulldog
29-07-2023, 12:31 PM
4 man tall forward line

I didn't suggest a "4 man tall forward line" there is such a thing as rotations and the intent is to nullify Taylor and benefit Naughton and Ugle-Hagan who can both play up the ground rather than goal square. Given the choice Bruce wouldn't be in the team at all imo. Love it when posters have to justify every opinion and suggestion, so I will keep that in mind.

mjp
29-07-2023, 12:39 PM
Given the choice Bruce wouldn't be in the team at all imo. Love it when posters have to justify every opinion and suggestion, so I will keep that in mind.

To be fair - when you say 'Bruce forward on Taylor' - and Taylor plays 95%+ gametime - and we already have Naughton, Jamarra and Lobb, isn't it a reasonable question to be asked?

Why get antsy about it? Just respond in good faith (assume the question was asked in good faith) - and we all move on...

Totally get the comments about the selection of Bruce but he's playing now and needs to play somewhere! :-)

bornadog
29-07-2023, 02:13 PM
4 man tall forward line

I didn't suggest a "4 man tall forward line" there is such a thing as rotations and the intent is to nullify Taylor and benefit Naughton and Ugle-Hagan who can both play up the ground rather than goal square. Given the choice Bruce wouldn't be in the team at all imo. Love it when posters have to justify every opinion and suggestion, so I will keep that in mind.
Maybe I should have put a question mark there.