PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 22 v Hawthorn

Scraggers
19-05-2023, 06:00 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Twenty-One match against Richmond for our Round Twenty-Two match against Hawthorn at UTAS Stadium on Sunday.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion

GVGjr
04-08-2023, 12:45 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
04-08-2023, 11:30 PM
Out: Scott (inj)

In: Jones from sub (unless we want Keath/Gardner)

Bumper Bulldogs
04-08-2023, 11:48 PM
Great game to rest a few. Only forced change will be Scott

Out Scott, Poulter rest him as it’s been a big year for him

In Keith and Baker

JanLorMill
05-08-2023, 12:17 AM
Poulter isn’t getting dropped

G-Mo77
05-08-2023, 12:19 AM
Poulter? Nah, no chance.

Scott is out, JJ might be iffy.

bornadog
05-08-2023, 01:23 AM
In Keath
Out Scott

Bumper Bulldogs
05-08-2023, 09:22 AM
Poulter isn’t getting dropped
Young legs. I would rest him. We will need him for the finals

DOG GOD
05-08-2023, 09:26 AM

Out Scott, Poulter rest him as it’s been a big year for him

In Keith and Baker

This is a danger game. Our record in Launceston against hawks is terrible. I’d be very careful of who to rest.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2023, 09:44 AM
This is a danger game. Our record in Launceston against hawks is terrible. I’d be very careful of who to rest.

Yep. Finals or not, there’s a rest in 3 games time. If we’re sticking with West, JOD, Poulter & VDM we need to put games into them. Need to build up Lobb too. Hopefully he gets a bag vs WCE and gets super confident into a possible EF. While generally trying to create competition for a possible EF spot.

Wouldn’t mind Williams & Smith hitting their potential in the next little bit too. There’s some more potential here sitting untapped to their full extent.

Moreover, just come to play like last night!

1eyedog
05-08-2023, 11:11 AM
Poulter has only play 6 games of AFL he'll be fine.

GVGjr
05-08-2023, 11:27 AM
In Gardner and Baker
Out Scott and I'm not sure JJ will be right.

bornadog
05-08-2023, 11:36 AM

haven't we beaten Hawks there the last few times?

1eyedog
05-08-2023, 11:40 AM
Out Scott and in Baker.

Our forward line will be a nightmare for Hawthorn next week.

angelopetraglia
05-08-2023, 12:32 PM
haven't we beaten Hawks there the last few times?

We beat them last year when we needed to win to make finals. In 2021 which was the prior time we were there, we need to win to lock down a top four spot. We got smashed. 9.10 to 5.7 (Hawks only won 7 games that season).

The prior three games down there against them have all been losses too. 70 point loss. 62 point loss. 19 point loss.

Our record against Hawthorn at the ground is P7. W2. L5.

bornadog
05-08-2023, 01:06 PM
Poulter has only play 6 games of AFL he'll be fine.

18 actually

EasternWest
05-08-2023, 01:27 PM
We beat them last year when we needed to win to make finals. In 2021 which was the prior time we were there, we need to win to lock down a top four spot. We got smashed. 9.10 to 5.7 (Hawks only won 7 games that season).

The prior three games down there against them have all been losses too. 70 point loss. 62 point loss. 19 point loss.

Our record against Hawthorn at the ground is P7. W2. L5.

But we have Bont. So we'll be fine.

hujsh
05-08-2023, 01:42 PM
18 actually

This year

bulldogsthru&thru
05-08-2023, 01:51 PM
Being in Tassie shouldn't make any difference. Our past record probably reflects playing the hawks when they were dominating. 2021 being the disappointing exception.

At the end of the day if we lose we won't deserve finals. The equation is pretty simple from here: beat hawks and Eagles and we play finals. % won't matter. We're talking about the worst team in the past 20yrs and then a bottom 3 side. This team is so polarising I suppose anything can happen but we should be playing finals from here. Last night's win was great to finally see us put a team to the sword even if they were undermanned. It gives hope for anything can happen if we make the 8.

Bullies
05-08-2023, 08:00 PM

Out Scott, Poulter rest him as it?s been a big year for him

In Keith and Baker Dont think we will be resting anyone after Hawthorns win today.

Mofra
05-08-2023, 08:20 PM
Is Bailey Smith ok?
Was the fumbliest I've seen him on the weekend and just couldn't get into the game.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2023, 08:25 PM
Is Bailey Smith ok?
Was the fumbliest I've seen him on the weekend and just couldn't get into the game.

Can’t say I’ve ever seen a player fall over their own feet off one step… so that’s new.

Dry Rot
05-08-2023, 08:48 PM
Who plays on Sicily?

bornadog
05-08-2023, 09:20 PM
Who plays on Sicily?

You mean who does Sicily play on

GVGjr
05-08-2023, 10:02 PM
Who plays on Sicily?

Last week the Saints sent a player to him to curb his influence. Not sure if we will do that with 3 talk forwards. He will try and match up on Lobb and back his pace and judgement to get a lot of the footy.

josie
05-08-2023, 11:32 PM
Sydney curbed influence of Taylor by kinda tagging him tonight. Can we do same with Sicily? Not a likely Bevo move.

I think their mids are good. Will be a tough one.

Mofra
05-08-2023, 11:44 PM
Sydney curbed influence of Taylor by kinda tagging him tonight. Can we do same with Sicily? Not a likely Bevo move.

I think their mids are good. Will be a tough one.
Zaine Cordy played 4 finals as a 'defensive' forward. We have done it before.

josie
05-08-2023, 11:49 PM
Zaine Cordy played 4 finals as a 'defensive' forward. We have done it before.

Good point, also Schache on Allir Allir in ‘21 Prelim.

Who do woofers reckon could do that role for us now?

1eyedog
05-08-2023, 11:57 PM
18 actually

This year I mean re. in answer to his body holding up. It may be one or two more.

bornadog
06-08-2023, 12:11 AM
This year I mean re. in answer to his body holding up. It may be one or two more.

Yeah fair enough, sorry I miss understood.

1eyedog
06-08-2023, 10:14 AM
You mean who does Sicily play on

I think it's very much a case of who do we play on Sicily. I know there is a wide gap between Collingwood's tall forwards and ours but Sicily needs attention.

We don't have a disciplined medium forward who can do the job it's one of the holes in our list.

Khamis maybe.

chef
06-08-2023, 11:39 AM
Who plays on Sicily?

Cody for mine. Can put the defensive effort in and make him accountable the other way.

FrediKanoute
06-08-2023, 11:42 AM
I'd ask Naughton to mind him and play a defensive forward role on Sicily. I would keep team balance and allow JUH and Lobb space.

Rocco Jones
06-08-2023, 11:47 AM
I think the biggest thing with nullifying Sicily is lowering the eyes and targeting his opponent when he gives them too much space.

I think Hannan is actually the player most suited to a role on him but I wouldn't play him.

Rocco Jones
06-08-2023, 11:49 AM
I'd ask Naughton to mind him and play a defensive forward role on Sicily. I would keep team balance and allow JUH and Lobb space.

I think the Hawks would just go one of their KPDs to Naughton here and if use Naughts to follow Siciliy from there it just makes it more congested, allowing Sicily to be the extra tall.

Mofra
06-08-2023, 03:13 PM
I think the biggest thing with nullifying Sicily is lowering the eyes and targeting his opponent when he gives them too much space.

I think Hannan is actually the player most suited to a role on him but I wouldn't play him.
The other left-field option - Smith?

His best games this year have all been when given a 'job' (e.g. against Cripps in the middle),
Baz plays high forward anyway so he's going to be close to Sicily. Has the tank to work up and back off him to provide a link up option too

Before I Die
06-08-2023, 03:27 PM
Each week we push a forward up to the contest and only play 5 forwards. In that scenario it’s pretty much impossible to ‘tag’ Sicily. So we need to either change this central part of our game plan or focus on fast forward entries and lowering the eyes.

JanLorMill
06-08-2023, 06:17 PM
I don’t think you can name a forward to tag an opposing backman. The backman goes to who ever they choose. The forward then chooses how to play him, eg from the square, run him around. The backman then decides whether to go with that player or not. I doubt we set up our forward line with a 2 on 2 because the match up isn’t right.

jeemak
07-08-2023, 01:18 AM
I'd be trying to understand who from our Friday night game outside of Scott might not be in the ultimate available 22/3 and set them up to play together in preparation for finals.

So maybe Keath or Gardner comes in for Scott this week and we shuffle the deck chairs up-field, with a question mark over JOD in the coming weeks.

Mofra
07-08-2023, 09:51 AM
I don’t think you can name a forward to tag an opposing backman. The backman goes to who ever they choose. The forward then chooses how to play him, eg from the square, run him around. The backman then decides whether to go with that player or not. I doubt we set up our forward line with a 2 on 2 because the match up isn’t right.
Cordy in the 2016 finals series.

bulldogtragic
07-08-2023, 09:52 AM

Schache on Allir, PF 2021.

mjp
07-08-2023, 10:49 AM
I don’t think you can name a forward to tag an opposing backman.

Stick your elbow in his BACK.

Done.

Before I Die
07-08-2023, 12:27 PM

Done.

Can you do that with a five man forward line? It just frees up another player, or if Sicily goes to another forward it could free up two interceptors. Genuine question from someone with zero coaching experience and only junior playing experience.

mjp
07-08-2023, 02:05 PM
Can you do that with a five man forward line? It just frees up another player, or if Sicily goes to another forward it could free up two interceptors. Genuine question from someone with zero coaching experience and only junior playing experience.

If you are going to tag an interceptor, that player needs to understand one simple thing:

- DO NOT LEAD. Stick your elbow in his back and contest with him every time.

The rest of the forward line needs to structure around the 'tag'...so to answer your question, 'Sort Of' - but if the oppo coach has a second interceptor who can drop back (aka the problem when you play Melbourne who have both Lever AND May) then taking one of them out of it is often of limited value.

I think we need to sit on Sicily 100%. But I do get why coaches hate to tag because it can completely wreck everything else you are trying to do as a team...

Mofra
07-08-2023, 02:31 PM
We have four legitimate marking threats forward of the ball - Naughts & Marra obviously, Lobb most of the time, and Weightman if he gets space to lead into.

It shouldn't be that hard to either:
a. Avoid Sicily, or
b. Put the ball on his head, in front of a leading Naughton or Marra to collect him in every contest

mjp
07-08-2023, 04:06 PM
It shouldn't be that hard to either:
a. Avoid Sicily, or

Well, the problem is that Siciliy does what he does better than any of our guys do what they do...so if we don't give him a designated match-up then mark him down for 8+ intercepts (we get a lot of inside 50's so intercept totals against us are always skewed by 15-20%).

G-Mo77
07-08-2023, 04:18 PM
If we move the ball like we did last Friday Sicily will be a non factor. If the ball goes sideways left, right, backwards before our inside 50 kick like we have for most of the season then Sicily becomes an issue. Let's see which Bulldog team turns up.

bornadog
07-08-2023, 04:24 PM
If we move the ball like we did last Friday Sicily will be a non factor. If the ball goes sideways left, right, backwards before our inside 50 kick like we have for most of the season then Sicily becomes an issue. Let's see which Bulldog team turns up.

Yes agree. Let's play our game and try not to kick the ball straight to Sicily. Balta was meant to be the highest interceptor this season, and looked what happened there.

kruder
07-08-2023, 08:20 PM
Fingers crossed JJ plays, he wasn't in the injury list but doesn't mean he will be playing.

The go forward factor of JJ, Dale and Richards was significant in the first quarter and I love how Bevo mentioned taking ground in the presser it does sound like its something we are working on.

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-08-2023, 09:15 PM

Naughton appeals to me to be the ideal player at CHF to play on Sicily, which leaves Lobb and English to alternate in the ruck and at full forward. Naughton has the pace, skill and marking ability to match and beat Sicily, who is the key to Hawthorn?s defence.

angelopetraglia
10-08-2023, 11:08 AM
JJ to miss with calf tightness. Gards to miss again.

Mantis
10-08-2023, 11:23 AM
In: Keath, Baker
Out: JJ, Scott, Jones

With Hawthorn having 3 tall forwards we will need to bring Keath back in.

hujsh
10-08-2023, 11:24 AM

Real shame on JJ.

I don't think Hawks have a great tall forward aside from Lewis so hopefully Jones and O'Donnell can handle him between them

angelopetraglia
10-08-2023, 11:26 AM
Real shame on JJ.

I don't think Hawks have a great tall forward aside from Lewis so hopefully Jones and O'Donnell can handle him between them

Bevo said they are a different challenge when compared to Richmnd with their talls. My read is that we will play another tall. Keath back in.

hujsh
10-08-2023, 11:28 AM
Bevo said they are a different challenge when compared to Richmnd with their talls. My read is that we will play another tall. Keath back in.

Makes sense forgot Keath was concussion protocols and would be available.

azabob
10-08-2023, 11:37 AM

Shit. That really sucks. Such a key cog.

azabob
10-08-2023, 11:38 AM
Real shame on JJ.

Yes and no. They have a very raw 200+cm giant playing well and Koschtizke rediscovered form against Collingwood.

angelopetraglia
10-08-2023, 07:24 PM
BULLDOGS

B: A.Keath, L.Jones, T.Duryea

HB: B.Dale, J.O’Donnell, E.Richards

C: C.Poulter, M.Bontempelli - C, B.Williams

HF: C.Weightman, A.Naughton, B.Smith

F: R.Lobb, J.Ugle-Hagan, R.West

FOLL: T.English, A.Treloar, T.Liberatore

I/C (FROM): A.Jones, J.Macrae, C.Daniel, L.Vandermeer, O.Baker, B.Khamis, L.Cleary, J.Sweet

In: A.Keath, O.Baker, B.Khamis, L.Cleary, J.Sweet

Out: A.Scott (Injured), J.Johannisen (Injured)

azabob
10-08-2023, 07:24 PM
Double

bulldogtragic
10-08-2023, 07:27 PM
Bench seems to pick itself.

Hotdog60
10-08-2023, 07:28 PM
I'll go with
I/C (FROM): A.Jones(Sub), J.Macrae, C.Daniel, L.Vandermeer, O.Baker

bornadog
10-08-2023, 07:33 PM
I'll go with
I/C (FROM): A.Jones(Sub), J.Macrae, C.Daniel, L.Vandermeer, O.Baker
Baker sub

The Bulldogs Bite
10-08-2023, 08:31 PM
Thought JJ would be up against it after last week. Hopefully just the one week, he's become very crucial again. No coincidence our best footy has been with him as the running half back alongside Dale and Richards.

1eyedog
10-08-2023, 08:51 PM

Vandermeer at times this year and last. Depends who we play. Hannan also has pretty much been our Cordy for the past two years. Bevo love a defensive forward if it's required.

1eyedog
10-08-2023, 08:52 PM

Hawthorn are better than you think they'll be. Best we tag Sicily.

1eyedog
10-08-2023, 08:54 PM

Done.

Yeah push him off balance all night.

1eyedog
10-08-2023, 08:56 PM
BULLDOGS

B: A.Keath, L.Jones, T.Duryea

HB: B.Dale, J.O?Donnell, E.Richards

C: C.Poulter, M.Bontempelli - C, B.Williams

HF: C.Weightman, A.Naughton, B.Smith

F: R.Lobb, J.Ugle-Hagan, R.West

FOLL: T.English, A.Treloar, T.Liberatore

I/C (FROM): A.Jones, J.Macrae, C.Daniel, L.Vandermeer, O.Baker, B.Khamis, L.Cleary, J.Sweet

In: A.Keath, O.Baker, B.Khamis, L.Cleary, J.Sweet

Out: A.Scott (Injured), J.Johannisen (Injured)

Jones back is the key.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-08-2023, 11:38 PM
Jones back is the key.

He's on I/C :)

angelopetraglia
11-08-2023, 06:01 PM
AFL Round 22 - Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs
Sunday 13 August, 1.10pm AEST
UTAS Stadium

B: Alex Keath, Liam Jones, Taylor Duryea
HB: Bailey Dale, James O’Donnell, Ed Richards
C: Caleb Poulter, Marcus Bontempelli, Bailey Williams
HF: Cody Weightman, Aaron Naughton, Bailey Smith
F: Rory Lobb, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Rhylee West
R: Tim English, Adam Treloar, Tom Liberatore
Int: Jack Macrae, Caleb Daniel, Laitham Vandermeer, Arthur Jones.
Emg: Oskar Baker, Buku Khamis, Jordon Sweet, Luke Cleary.

IN: Alex Keath, Arthur Jones
OUT: Anthony Scott (concussion), Jason Johannisen (calf)

angelopetraglia
11-08-2023, 06:02 PM
So Arty joins the 22. Who is the sub? Baker would be the obvious choice for me.

Go_Dogs
11-08-2023, 06:04 PM
So Arty joins the 22. Who is the sub? Baker would be the obvious choice for me.

Agree, seems likely.

Glad Arty is in. His energy is important for this team.

meenies
11-08-2023, 06:59 PM
My bet is that Oscar and Buck will be in Tassie tomorrow.

angelopetraglia
12-08-2023, 10:56 AM
Dropping someone off at the airport this morning and Cleary is travelling to Tasmania.

angelopetraglia
12-08-2023, 10:58 AM
Baker is also travelling with the group.

angelopetraglia
12-08-2023, 11:03 AM
My daughter got a photo with the Bont. Made her day!

EasternWest
12-08-2023, 11:18 AM
My daughter got a photo with the Bont. Made her day!

Can you post it here so I can superimpose myself in?

angelopetraglia
12-08-2023, 12:28 PM

Ha. A group of school girls going to SA for National Aerobic Championships. Let's just say that Bazlenka was a popular man.

jeemak
12-08-2023, 12:30 PM

I don't think anyone wants a photo of you and APs daughter in it.

EasternWest
12-08-2023, 12:43 PM
I don't think anyone wants a photo of you and APs daughter in it.

Thankyou for slam dunking my lob pass.