PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 23 v West Coast Eagles

Scraggers
19-05-2023, 06:03 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Twenty-Two match against Hawthorn for our Round Twenty-Three match against West Coast Eagles at Marvel on Sunday.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion

GVGjr
13-08-2023, 09:10 AM
Bump

bulldogtragic
13-08-2023, 04:19 PM
In:

Scott, Clarke, Buss

Out:

Libba, Arty, Keath

meenies
13-08-2023, 04:56 PM
In:

Scott, Clarke, Buss

Out:

Libba, Arty, Keath

happy with these. Let's see what Clarke can do.

GVGjr
13-08-2023, 05:21 PM
I need to give this some more though but based on emotion.

Out
A.Jones
C.Weightman
T.Liberatore

In
A.Scott
O.Baker
T.McLean

G-Mo77
13-08-2023, 05:26 PM
I'm keeping Jones in. We've given others ample opportunities for less, Weightman offered very little as well and we're playing West Coast. Just keep him in there.

Grantysghost
13-08-2023, 06:07 PM
Out : Smith
In : Sullivan

westbulldog
13-08-2023, 06:58 PM
Out
A Jones, whilst he has potential, what did he do to deserve a game, he did nothing today and I would not gift him a trip west.
Duryea and Keath - forever.
Jack Macrae and Weighman both get a reprieve (just)

In
Busslinger deserves a shot after good performances in the VFL
Crozier
Sweet deserves a game, park English primarily in the forward line to create havoc.

Bullies
13-08-2023, 07:28 PM
Out
A Jones, whilst he has potential, what did he do to deserve a game, he did nothing today and I would not gift him a trip west.

In
Crozier
Sweet deserves a game, park English primarily in the forward line to create havoc. Duryea stiff. THought he did well on Breust.

bornadog
13-08-2023, 08:39 PM
Out: Libba, A jones

In: Scott, Clarke

Danjul
13-08-2023, 08:49 PM
I'm keeping Jones in. We've given others ample opportunities for less, Weightman offered very little as well and we're playing West Coast. Just keep him in there.
I?ve watched Jones closely. No way has he deserved to be in the team.

Our pressure small forward was poor against Geelong, didn?t touch it against Port, a couple of average quarters in the vfl but most very poor, selected as sub against Richmond, 4 possessions- 3 displayed poor skills and gave away 50m for a goal- and then 3 disposals today.

The guy is contributing nothing and it hurts.

He has some talent but???

Danjul
13-08-2023, 08:53 PM
Out

In
Crozier
Sweet deserves a game, park English primarily in the forward line to create havoc.

That would be a terrible mistake, the vfl team needs him (and some of us are enjoying the way they are winning).

Hotdog60
13-08-2023, 08:58 PM
Out: A.Jones, Libba and Smith
In Scott, Mclean and Clarke

Smith needs to find some form before finals if we make it.
Jones isn't offering much including applying pressure and looking at the VFL side there not much on offer for a replacement so Clarke gets a taste.

angelopetraglia
13-08-2023, 09:48 PM
I would 100% play McLean next week for Libba. We need some midfield desperation. Today was diabolical.

G-Mo77
14-08-2023, 05:32 AM

Our pressure small forward was poor against Geelong, didn?t touch it against Port, a couple of average quarters in the vfl but most very poor, selected as sub against Richmond, 4 possessions- 3 displayed poor skills and gave away 50m for a goal- and then 3 disposals today.

I honestly don't care at this point mate. I'd sooner give kids games these last 2 weeks and shelve some senior players for next season. Of course that is not going to happen but I'd rather invest into 2024 than try and prolong this train wreck of a season.

azabob
14-08-2023, 09:05 AM

Hey Danjul, what are your changes or your happy to continue shit canning what other posters think?

azabob
14-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Scott for Liberatore
JJ for VDM
Clarke for Jones

R.West to take Liberatore midfield minutes.

Would like to get Busslinger in for a game before the years out but with the season still on the line I'll stick with L.Jones, Keath and JOD.

lemmon
14-08-2023, 12:00 PM
I'm going with:
-JJ for Laith (if JJ is right to go)
-McLean in for Libba - we need an inside mid to come in and he's earned it on performance at Footscray
-Scott for Arty - I like Scott forward as he's one of the few guys we have who naturally finishes his work. We also just can't keep carrying a guy who simply doesn't touch the ball.

Bit worried for Jones - we're desperate to play him forward but he couldn't touch the footy at VFL level, let alone in the ones. I think settle him back at Footscray for the last part of the year and let him try to find some touch.

For me, while we're still a chance at finals, it's not the time to play Clarke or Buss. We're going to need a win in Geelong and I'd back in an experienced body for that.

mjp
14-08-2023, 12:30 PM
Bit worried for Jones - we're desperate to play him forward but he couldn't touch the footy at VFL level, let alone in the ones. I think settle him back at Footscray for the last part of the year and let him try to find some touch.

For me, while we're still a chance at finals, it's not the time to play Clarke or Buss. We're going to need a win in Geelong and I'd back in an experienced body for that.

Your comments about Jones, Busslinger and Clarke make too much sense. Dreamers pick kids.

I didn't understand the Jones decision vs Richmond and it seemed pre-ordained he would be into the 22 vs Hawthorn...I am still uncertain why we are so determined to turn a junior winger/runner with elite endurance into a small forward as an aside.

lemmon
14-08-2023, 01:20 PM
I am still uncertain why we are so determined to turn a junior winger/runner with elite endurance into a small forward as an aside.

Similar situation with West, Garcia and McNeil in my mind - we've failed to find or develop genuine small forwards so have instead asked natural midfielders who have some pace and a willingness to tackle to play as pressure small forwards as their way into the 22.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2023, 01:21 PM
Similar situation with West, Garcia and McNeil in my mind - we've failed to find or develop genuine small forwards so have instead asked natural midfielders who have some pace and a willingness to tackle to play as pressure small forwards as their way into the 22.

Ask all four how they think they?ve been professionally developed by the club. I wonder what they?d say? Genuinely.

Bullies
14-08-2023, 02:12 PM
I'm going with:
-JJ for Laith (if JJ is right to go)
-McLean in for Libba - we need an inside mid to come in and he's earned it on performance at Footscray
-Scott for Arty - I like Scott forward as he's one of the few guys we have who naturally finishes his work. We also just can't keep carrying a guy who simply doesn't touch the ball.

For me, while we're still a chance at finals, it's not the time to play Clarke or Buss. We're going to need a win in Geelong and I'd back in an experienced body for that. Clarke seems to be the type of player who would play better at the top level. Sometimes it is not so easy to get a kick in the 2's as it is in the 1's. He has that x factor. Roll the dice as we have nothing to lose. He is over his injuries and starting to get a bit of the ball. Lets see what he has.

bornadog
14-08-2023, 02:30 PM
Clarke seems to be the type of player who would play better at the top level. Sometimes it is not so easy to get a kick in the 2's as it is in the 1's. He has that x factor. Roll the dice as we have nothing to lose. He is over his injuries and starting to get a bit of the ball. Lets see what he has.

I thought he played well on Saturday. Could easily replace Arty

meenies
14-08-2023, 02:33 PM
Out : Smith
In : Sullivan

It would be nice if we can bring Sullivan in, although AFL may not be happy campers.

Danjul
14-08-2023, 02:34 PM
I honestly don't care at this point mate. I'd sooner give kids games these last 2 weeks and shelve some senior players for next season. Of course that is not going to happen but I'd rather invest into 2024 than try and prolong this train wreck of a season.
These selections are what has killed this season.

Too pig-headed. We have not used our talent pool well.

In my opinion we would have been a lock in for the finals if we had played Sweet as our small forward against Geelong, Port, GWS and/or Sydney. In those games the forwards failed when the pressure was on. Or Bus.. Anyone who can kick a goal from 30m with some reliability.

We spend forever criticising the backline or Macrae but the real culprits are overlooked.

Danjul
14-08-2023, 02:45 PM
Hey Danjul, what are your changes or your happy to continue shit canning what other posters think?
Did you read what I wrote.

To repeat:

I have watched him/them closely for weeks.

I am reporting on what I have seen. A very honest and factual report. No detour into emotion. Just the hard facts. Everyone is welcome to point out my factual errors.

Here is your chance to do so.

They are ????.

azabob
14-08-2023, 02:48 PM
Did you read what I wrote.

To repeat:

I am reporting on what I have seen. A very honest and factual report. No detour into emotion. Just the hard facts. Everyone is welcome to point out my factual errors.

They are ????.

You have said who you want to drop but at no stage have you said who should replace Jones.

I actually have dropped Jones in my changes against West Coast.

meenies
14-08-2023, 02:50 PM
After a day of letting the anger out, a more balanced choice of ins and outs:
In if fit - JJ
promoted from 2s - Clarke. I have watched him a lot this year and whilst I don't think he has a great tank yet, he is dangerous, smart, calm and unselfish in the forward line. Like Bullies said, I also think he will be better at the next level.
West to the middle and stay there.
Out - Libba and Arty. We have shown courage before in dropping big names so do that to Smith. A week in the 2s to remind him what it is about.
Maybe promote Baker. Scott to sub if cannot fit in.
I am happy with the back although we do also have Gardner in the 2s. We do need him in before the finals if we get there.

lemmon
14-08-2023, 02:56 PM
Clarke seems to be the type of player who would play better at the top level. Sometimes it is not so easy to get a kick in the 2's as it is in the 1's. He has that x factor. Roll the dice as we have nothing to lose. He is over his injuries and starting to get a bit of the ball. Lets see what he has.

Fair points and you may very well be right - just feels like an Andrew Hooper 'let's roll the dice and see what happens' kind of selection. While we're still in the hunt for finals, I want the guys we're picking to be the same guy we'd pick in an Elimination Final.

I think McLean is a good example of that - he's probably not on our list next year, but he's the next-best inside mid running around at Footscray, so get him in for Libba.

DOG GOD
14-08-2023, 03:02 PM
Ask all four how they think they?ve been professionally developed by the club. I wonder what they?d say? Genuinely.
Wrong post.

DOG GOD
14-08-2023, 03:04 PM
Your comments about Jones, Busslinger and Clarke make too much sense. Dreamers pick kids.

I didn't understand the Jones decision vs Richmond and it seemed pre-ordained he would be into the 22 vs Hawthorn...I am still uncertain why we are so determined to turn a junior winger/runner with elite endurance into a small forward as an aside.

Agree, against Carl jones was fantastic on the wing, in the guts.

Danjul
14-08-2023, 03:12 PM
You have said who you want to drop but at no stage have you said who should replace Jones.

I actually have dropped Jones in my changes against West Coast.

Well, we agree on that, but maybe we differ on when it should happen. In my case it was 2 weeks earlier.

I would have had McLean. He has been reading the play well, covering a lot of ground, strong in congested play. He was subbed off in his last AFL game after 12 possessions in only 54% game time, but Jones has had 10 in his last 3 full games combined.

McLean has slowed, but it hasn?t been speed on the forward line that has prevented us from winning.

I think Baker could have been our small forward, with limited game time he has good kicked goals recently.

The cupboard is not bare but the cook doesn?t have long enough arms.

Bulldog4life
14-08-2023, 05:35 PM
did you read what i wrote.

To repeat:

I am reporting on what i have seen. A very honest and factual report. No detour into emotion. Just the hard facts. Everyone is welcome to point out my factual errors.

They are ????.

nets.

Rocket Science
14-08-2023, 10:30 PM

Wrong-headed or not, is there really much mystery around the key factors driving this though?

Whether Artie deserves his spot is a separate question but it's not as if he's denying our fleet of true small forwards a run at it.

Jeanette54
16-08-2023, 12:52 PM
These selections are what has killed this season.

Too pig-headed. We have not used our talent pool well.

In my opinion we would have been a lock in for the finals if we had played Sweet as our small forward against Geelong, Port, GWS and/or Sydney. In those games the forwards failed when the pressure was on. Or Bus.. Anyone who can kick a goal from 30m with some reliability.

Even our premier forward is guilty being continually astray from close range. Big marks are great to watch, but squandered shots from close range are a killer for any team. Naughton shoots straight and we beat Hawthorn, pure and simple. I love his attack on the ball and his ability to keep his feet when off balance, but surely someone can teach him to employ a set shot routine that actually works.

josie
16-08-2023, 01:06 PM
Even our premier forward is guilty being continually astray from close range. Big marks are great to watch, but squandered shots from close range are a killer for any team. Naughton shoots straight and we beat Hawthorn, pure and simple. I love his attack on the ball and his ability to keep his feet when off balance, but surely someone can teach him to employ a set shot routine that actually works.

Agree 100%. I’m more confident when Naughty is a bit further out. We must hire a goal kicking coach and call him/her some other title if the club are worried about flak (Leon Cameron could be senior assistant and goal kicking/general kicking coach).

bornadog
16-08-2023, 01:11 PM

He averages 58%

Hotdog60
16-08-2023, 01:26 PM
I think Naughton is kicking better this year than since he became a forward. He just growing into look out next year. :)

bornadog
16-08-2023, 02:06 PM
From AFL. com.au

Is it time debut BUZZ?

Luke Beveridge will need to replace Tom Liberatore for Sunday's game against West Coast after the inside midfielder entered concussion protocols. Toby McLean collected 28 disposals and nine clearances for Footscray to put his hand up for another shot. Ryan Gardner played in the VFL after battling a few niggles, while 2022 first-round pick Jedd Busslinger may run out of time for a debut this season but the key defender showed plenty at Box Hill City Oval on Saturday, finishing with 22 touches and nine marks. Hayden Crozier made a decent return from injury with 21 touches and nine marks. Buku Khamis was quiet after being included in the 26-man AFL squad. – Josh Gabelich

R22 sub: Oskar Baker (replaced Tom Liberatore)

Grantysghost
16-08-2023, 02:21 PM
From AFL. com.au

Is it time debut BUZZ?

I think he will get a gig this week. Maybe Clarke too.

azabob
16-08-2023, 02:23 PM
From AFL. com.au

Is it time debut BUZZ?

No, he has missed the 2023 boat.

We need to get confidence and continuity in Keath, Jones, JOD.

Grantysghost
16-08-2023, 02:30 PM

Keath out
START THE BUSS!

bulldogtragic
16-08-2023, 02:33 PM
Keath out
START THE BUSS!

Buss & Clarke.

Just do it.

Mantis
16-08-2023, 02:44 PM

Yep.. (somehow) we are still a real shot at making the final 8 so we need to pick the team that gives us the best chance to do so and whilst selection integrity isn't one of Bevo's strong suits, he needs to select a team with an EF in mind and we aren't taking Buss or Clarke into that game.

azabob
16-08-2023, 02:45 PM
Yep.. (somehow) we are still a real shot at making the final 8 so we need to pick the team that gives us the best chance to do so and whilst selection integrity isn't one of Bevo's strong suits, he needs to select a team with an EF in mind and we aren't taking Buss or Clarke into that game.

Yep.. exactly my thoughts. This needs to be as close to our elimination final team as possible barring perhaps JJ.

bornadog
16-08-2023, 04:11 PM
Yep.. exactly my thoughts. This needs to be as close to our elimination final team as possible barring perhaps JJ.

JJ will most likely be back this week.

azabob
16-08-2023, 04:17 PM
JJ will most likely be back this week.

I hope so, such a vital player this year.

angelopetraglia
17-08-2023, 01:39 PM
Bevo said JJ will definitely not play this week and will need to jump through some hoops to be available for the last game against Geelong.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-08-2023, 05:07 PM
Bevo said JJ will definitely not play this week and will need to jump through some hoops to be available for the last game against Geelong.

His availability has been worrying this year. Wonder how long he realistically has left.

It's a real shame because he's turned back the clock when he's played.

kruder
17-08-2023, 06:32 PM
Anyone else finding it hard to get up for this week? Win lose or draw I'm normally naturally very keen anything dogs related but last week was pathetic by all involved I'm not sure what we are going to learn about this group this week.

Hopefully the prospect of finally beating the cats will get me back fired up again.

hujsh
17-08-2023, 07:02 PM
Anyone else finding it hard to get up for this week? Win loose or draw I'm normally naturally very keen anything dogs related but last week was pathetic by all involved I'm not sure what we are going to learn about this group this week.

Hopefully the prospect of finally beating the cats will get me back fired up again.

Last week was disgusting and nothing this week can fix that. Unless somehow we win in Geelong or win a final it'll be a very deflating end to the year

azabob
17-08-2023, 07:25 PM
Western Bulldogs v West Coast Eagles

Sunday 20 August, 1.10pm AEST
Marvel Stadium

B: Alex Keath, Liam Jones, Taylor Duryea
HB: Bailey Dale, James O’Donnell, Ed Richards
C: Jack Macrae, Bailey Smith, Bailey Williams
HF: Cody Weightman, Aaron Naughton, Caleb Daniel
F: Rory Lobb, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Rhylee West
R: Tim English, Adam Treloar, Marcus Bontempelli

Int: Oskar Baker, Luke Cleary, Arthur Jones, Lachlan McNeil, Caleb Poulter, Anthony Scott, Jordon Sweet, Laitham Vandermeer

bornadog
Anyone else finding it hard to get up for this week? Win loose or draw I'm normally naturally very keen anything dogs related but last week was pathetic by all involved I'm not sure what we are going to learn about this group this week.

Lose not loose. Thanks Kruder

GVGjr
In
Anthony Scott, Jordon Sweet, Lachlan McNeil, Luke Cleary
Out
Tom Liberatore (Injured)
B:[42] Alex Keath, [19] Liam Jones, [15] Taylor Duryea
HB:[31] Bailey Dale, [18] James O'Donnell, [20] Ed Richards
C:[11] Jack Macrae, [6] Bailey Smith, [34] Bailey Williams
HF:[3] Cody Weightman, [33] Aaron Naughton, [35] Caleb Daniel
F:[7] Rory Lobb, [2] Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, [14] Rhylee West
R:[44] Tim English, [1] Adam Treloar, [4] Marcus Bontempelli
Int:[13] Oskar Baker, [36] Luke Cleary, [32] Arthur Jones, [30] Lachlan McNeil, [25] Caleb Poulter, [28] Anthony Scott, [41] Jordon Sweet, [23] Laitham Vandermeer

azabob
17-08-2023, 07:26 PM
IN, Clearly, McNeil, Sweet, Scott,
OUT: Liberatore

Grantysghost
17-08-2023, 07:26 PM
No debuts, that would probably rule out Buss and Clarke this year.

Grantysghost
17-08-2023, 07:27 PM
IN, Clearly, McNeil, Sweet, Scott,
OUT: Liberatore

Sweet, this could cause a mini woof meltdown.

Until tomorrow night when he's emergency :)

GVGjr
17-08-2023, 07:27 PM
No debuts, that would probably rule out Buss and Clarke this year.

I think the call would have come through yesterday it they were in.
Tend to agree they'll debut next year

kruder
17-08-2023, 07:29 PM

Yeah my spelling is as good as the dogs tackling unfortunately.

1eyedog
17-08-2023, 08:24 PM

Marvel Stadium

HB: Bailey Dale, James O?Donnell, Ed Richards

Int: Oskar Baker, Luke Cleary, Arthur Jones, Lachlan McNeil, Caleb Poulter, Anthony Scott, Jordon Sweet, Laitham Vandermeer

Jesus look at that interchange.

Reads like Glenn McGrath batting at 8, 9, 10 and 11 and I don't mean the length of it.

mjp
17-08-2023, 08:50 PM

Actually, the Dogs tackling (last week in any case), was LOOSE.

bornadog
17-08-2023, 08:52 PM
Actually, the Dogs tackling (last week in any case), was LOOSE.

"Touche?"

bulldogtragic
17-08-2023, 09:24 PM

I really like it actually. If I get a full back tattoo I am going with cursive writing “win loose, or, draw”.

Because: Losing isn?t an option. Draw is the worst case. But always win having fun and being loose. No serious, boring winning,

So. Win loose, or, draw.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-08-2023, 09:24 PM
Anyone else finding it hard to get up for this week? Win lose or draw I'm normally naturally very keen anything dogs related but last week was pathetic by all involved I'm not sure what we are going to learn about this group this week.

Yes yes yes.
I am surprised how last week killed me. I am in danger of losing faith and hope in my club. My brother died before 2016.
I give myself a decade maybe.
No more premierships for us from this team we've missed our chance.
Already I wxpect no improvement next year. We've not got it right since 2016 unlikely to now with the now aging team and coach.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-08-2023, 09:28 PM

'Any which way but loose'.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-08-2023, 09:30 PM
I really like it actually. If I get a full back tattoo I am going with cursive writing “win loose, or, draw”.

Because: Losing isn?t an option. Draw is the worst case. But always win having having fun and being loose.

So. Win loose, or, draw.

Haha.

FrediKanoute
17-08-2023, 09:56 PM

Marvel Stadium

HB: Bailey Dale, James O?Donnell, Ed Richards

Deck chairs being shuffled on the Titanic

Grantysghost
17-08-2023, 10:57 PM
Yes yes yes.
I am surprised how last week killed me. I am in danger of losing faith and hope in my club. My brother died before 2016.
I give myself a decade maybe.
No more premierships for us from this team we've missed our chance.
Already I wxpect no improvement next year. We've not got it right since 2016 unlikely to now with the now aging team and coach.

I was flat after the game.

However this is what being a Dogs fan is about.

Backs against the wall feels normative for me so I'm excited to pump the living bejesus out of West Coast.
I remember the 90s.

Don't looose faith WOOFers!

BornInDroopSt'54
17-08-2023, 11:17 PM
I was flat after the game.

However this is what being a Dogs fan is about.

Backs against the wall feels normative for me so I'm excited to pump the living bejesus out of West Coast.
I remember the 90s.

Don't looose faith WOOFers!

Grantys your the best.
Yes someth8ing has flipped in me, no longer accepting and full of faith. This old c^nt is now the final judge.
I'm facing my maker!
I can't lose faith in my Footscray!
No choice there.
Just in a premiership anytime soon.
I now side with Dog God.

Grantysghost
17-08-2023, 11:20 PM
Grantys your the best.
Yes someth8ing has flipped in me, no longer accepting and full of faith. This old c^nt is now the final judge.
I'm facing my maker!
I can't lose faith in my Footscray!
No choice there.

Ha gold bids

azabob
18-08-2023, 08:24 AM
Reality is doesn't matter how much we win by the same doubts will still linger and no questions will have been answered.

Mantis
18-08-2023, 08:28 AM
Reality is doesn't matter how much we win by the same doubts will still linger and no questions will have been answered.

Yep, this match-up comes at the worst possible time and it?s an indictment on the AFL that the 1st time we play WC is in Rd23.

Going to be hard to cheer on our players fill their boots when they?ve regularly shit the bed over the past 11 games.

G-Mo77
18-08-2023, 08:55 AM

I've been thinking like this most of the this season and probably most of 2022. I saw something different against the Tigers and let my guard down a little just to be kicked in the nuts again last week. I have no faith in this team at all a win over the worst team in the league won't change that.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2023, 09:19 AM
I've been thinking like this most of the this season and probably most of 2022. I saw something different against the Tigers and let my guard down a little just to be kicked in the nuts again last week. I have no faith in this team at all a win over the worst team in the league won't change that.

Although a narrow win (or worse) could really cement a few things the other way though. A good win against a poor VFL side is just an attempt at wallpaper. That’s assuming we put them to the sword. That’s not a guarantee.

Grantysghost
18-08-2023, 09:58 AM
Yep, this match-up comes at the worst possible time and it?s an indictment on the AFL that the 1st time we play WC is in Rd23.

Going to be hard to cheer on our players fill their boots when they?ve regularly shit the bed over the past 11 games.

I get the point, not sure on the logic Mantis. If this were straight after the bye would you cheer?

Carlton I think got their season rolling after spanking the Eagles.

Football can be simple, if this gives us confidence and we get on a roll then your cheers will be worthwhile!

GVGjr
18-08-2023, 10:40 AM
Although a narrow win (or worse) could really cement a few things the other way though. A good win against a poor VFL side is just an attempt at wallpaper. That’s assuming we put them to the sword. That’s not a guarantee.

With 2 very weak teams in the competition now and the fact that we have played just one game against them with one to come compared to Essendon's 4 games it really does create a lopsided comp when there is such a battle for spots in the 8. Still had we won against the Hawks I probably wouldn't have mentioned it.

chef
18-08-2023, 11:19 AM
I get the point, not sure on the logic Mantis. If this were straight after the bye would you cheer?

Football can be simple, if this gives us confidence and we get on a roll then your cheers will be worthwhile!

Plus it could also be our last win for 6 months, Im excited to go and cheer the boys on.

Grantysghost
18-08-2023, 11:20 AM
Plus it could also be our last win for 6 months, Im excited to go and cheer the boys on.

Exactly!

Axe Man
18-08-2023, 12:40 PM
Thankfully I missed the Hawthorn game so I am looking forward to getting back to the footy to hopefully witness a good win that will see the boys take some confidence and momentum to Sedat Park to finally knock the cats off next week.

Mantis
18-08-2023, 12:50 PM

I think the situation is completely different... but happy for you to explain to me to why it's the same thing?

Grantysghost
18-08-2023, 12:56 PM
I think the situation is completely different... but happy for you to explain to me to why it's the same thing?

Point out the part where I said it was the same thing. That IF is a conditional.

My point is I don't care when we play them, it makes no difference to how I support.

Rocco Jones
18-08-2023, 04:30 PM

From a place of pure timing, I agree. Smashing the Eagles will mean little in isolation. It's what comes after it that really matters. Stil love the club and haven't given up etc. Just if we win by 20 goals, hard to be much more than 'meh'.

mjp
18-08-2023, 05:07 PM
Stil love the club and haven't given up etc. Just if we win by 20 goals, hard to be much more than 'meh'.

This week really is no win for the club from a PR perspective.

Play well? That don't impress me much. Play poorly? They are what we thought they were and the narrative continues.

It's a bit of a sad place to be with only 2-weeks to go when you are actually IN THE TOP 8.

I think many parts of last season are skewed by the 2nd half of the elimination final and - whilst Carlton collapsed, we did play well enough in the last couple of weeks to secure a position...and whilst there seemed an outcry of support for the Blues who 'just' missed out, no-one seemed to care the year before when we WON our last game but still lost our top 4 position due to the Lions passing us on percentage largely due to fixturing...

As I think I have written on every thread this week, the club is certainly in a challenging position right now and there really are no right/wrong answers...

Rocco Jones
18-08-2023, 05:11 PM

Play well? That don't impress me much. Play poorly? They are what we thought they were and the narrative continues.

It's a bit of a sad place to be with only 2-weeks to go when you are actually IN THE TOP 8.

I think many parts of last season are skewed by the 2nd half of the elimination final and - whilst Carlton collapsed, we did play well enough in the last couple of weeks to secure a position...and whilst there seemed an outcry of support for the Blues who 'just' missed out, no-one seemed to care the year before when we WON our last game but still lost our top 4 position due to the Lions passing us on percentage largely due to fixturing...

As I think I have written on every thread this week, the club is certainly in a challenging position right now and there really are no right/wrong answers...

Yep.

I think winning big on Sunday will become something if we go onto beating Geelong and winning a final. It's the start of something potentially but definitely means very little in isolation.

bornadog
18-08-2023, 05:18 PM
Yep.

I think winning big on Sunday will become something if we go onto beating Geelong and winning a final. It's the start of something potentially but definitely means very little in isolation.

I just want to see the guys playing with some fluency and moving the ball quickly. I don't care about a massive win, but a comfortable one is fine. The important thing is how they play.

Mofra
18-08-2023, 05:26 PM
All eyes are on the Geelong game for me.

Honestly, it's line ball whether I'd rather win down there (to give Libba his first career win against them) or win a final a fortnight later.

Rocco Jones
18-08-2023, 05:27 PM
I just want to see the guys playing with some fluency and moving the ball quickly. I don't care about a massive win, but a comfortable one is fine. The important thing is how they play.

I hear you and I am not trying to be negative. Not saying I won't be supportive etc but it's so hard to tell with the way Eagles are going about it.

Really, I find that we have such a set pattern from this season, it's hard to see Sunday meaning too much.

Since Round 2, we have been at least within 2 goals of lead in final quarter of all games. We are as consistent as it gets. We will be right in a game but lose it if it's against an opponent that challenges us. I am confident we will be competitive against anyone but equally sure we will fluff our lines if challenged.

bornadog
18-08-2023, 06:02 PM

Int: Caleb Poulter, Laitham Vandermeer, Anthony Scott, Oskar Baker

Emergencies: Arthur Jones, Lachlan McNeil, Jordon Sweet, Luke Cleary

Rocco Jones
18-08-2023, 06:12 PM
As an exercise, what I think the team would look like if our fans selected it

Khamis, L Jones, Cleary
Dale, Keath, Richards
Macrae, Smith, Williams
Weightman, Naughton, Daniel
Ugle-Hagan, English, West
Sweet, Treloar, Bontempelli
Poulter, McLean, Baker, Busslinger
Crozier

azabob
18-08-2023, 06:15 PM
As an exercise, what I think the team would look like if our fans selected it

Khamis, L Jones, Cleary
Dale, Keath, Richards
Macrae, Smith, Williams
Weightman, Naughton, Daniel
Ugle-Hagan, English, West
Sweet, Treloar, Bontempelli
Poulter, McLean, Baker, Busslinger
Crozier
Wouldn’t Naughton be CHB? I do not endorse this comment.

azabob
18-08-2023, 06:16 PM

Int: Caleb Poulter, Laitham Vandermeer, Anthony Scott, Oskar Baker

Emergencies: Arthur Jones, Lachlan McNeil, Jordon Sweet, Luke Cleary

So
IN: Scott, Baker
OUT: Liberatore, A.Jones

Grantysghost
18-08-2023, 06:27 PM
West would be vice captain.

angelopetraglia
18-08-2023, 06:30 PM
Who will be the sub? McNeil? I think the match committee has lost patience with Jones again.

Grantysghost
18-08-2023, 06:31 PM
Who will be the sub? McNeil? I think the match committee has lost patience with Jones again.

I think so.

Danjul
18-08-2023, 07:09 PM

2021 last game: we lost by 2 points after keeping Port to 1 goal at half time. A bit of strange coaching, another capitulation.

mjp
18-08-2023, 07:36 PM
2021 last game: we lost by 2 points after keeping Port to 1 goal at half time. A bit of strange coaching, another capitulation.

Thanks. My mind is clearly letting me down...appreciate the correction!

Rocco Jones
18-08-2023, 10:57 PM
Wouldn?t Naughton be CHB? I do not endorse this comment.

Yeah I was going to put Naughts CHB.

kruder
18-08-2023, 11:32 PM

Yep, that's what happens when you kick the can down the road after 2022.