PDA

View Full Version : Hardwick quits

jazzadogs
22-05-2023, 08:46 PM
News broken by our favourite with the indisputable moral code, Tom Morris.

The players were due to be told tomorrow.

GVGjr
22-05-2023, 08:48 PM
News broken by our favourite with the indisputable moral code, Tom Morris.

The players were due to be told tomorrow.

There are a couple of other journo's going with it as well.

jazzadogs
22-05-2023, 08:51 PM
Morris had the 'exclusive', presumably as a ploy from the jernalist world to get him back in the fold as a newsbreaker, and then everyone else has picked it up from there.

The Age has confirmed it.

It's really disappointing to me that he didn't get to speak to the players first.

macca
22-05-2023, 08:54 PM
this is a joke right ?

kruder
22-05-2023, 08:55 PM
Good decision by Hardwick they need to refresh/rebuild. It gives him time to refresh a little and will have the option of the port job after they part ways with Kenny post another prelim finals loss to the dogs. Worst case he takes GC job, that list is looking better its time they made finals and I have a feeling a serious coach will go there soon.

jeemak
22-05-2023, 09:04 PM
As if he's not going to Carlton.

macca
22-05-2023, 09:08 PM
As if he's not going to Carlton.

You could be onto something here @jeemak , from the AFL website :

"Michael Voss has been a tremendous asset for this football club and we’re looking forward to doing great things with him in the future.” - Saysers

https://www.afl.com.au/news/932364/blues-boss-backs-voss-with-or-without-finals

Carlton are loading up for another great dump ?

jeemak
22-05-2023, 09:11 PM
You could be onto something here @jeemak , from the AFL website :

"Michael Voss has been a tremendous asset for this football club and we’re looking forward to doing great things with him in the future.” - Saysers

https://www.afl.com.au/news/932364/blues-boss-backs-voss-with-or-without-finals

Carlton are loading up for another great dump ?

Yeah I basically said to myself after reading Sayer's comments - Voss's cooked.

hujsh
22-05-2023, 09:32 PM
Morris had the 'exclusive', presumably as a ploy from the jernalist world to get him back in the fold as a newsbreaker, and then everyone else has picked it up from there.

The Age has confirmed it.

It's really disappointing to me that he didn't get to speak to the players first.

What better way to show he's not a gutter rat (even though he stepped down for the sexist comments but that's just cool now I guess)

jazzadogs
22-05-2023, 09:47 PM
Morris says on SEN that he contacted the club to confirm, they asked him not to run the story until players had been informed...and he ran it anyway.

I think that's consistent with modern AFL journalism, and I also think it's crap.

jeemak
22-05-2023, 09:53 PM
I'm not too stressed about him running with it. Somebody's leaked, those involved only have themselves to blame and it's not like it was a directly personal issue with somebody who may have been harmed by it being released.

macca
22-05-2023, 10:10 PM
Hardwick is brave and a realist when he knows his had enough. The pressure of afl coaching is unrelenting
His done an incredible job to get them so much success
Rebuilt the list to get 3 premierships

To climb the mountain again with another rebuild , does he really want to do that ? Tje

We are fortunate to have Bevo

I hate to be playing the tigers this. week

BornInDroopSt'54
22-05-2023, 10:14 PM
Good assistant coach for Dogs?
Won't happen.

Happy Days
22-05-2023, 11:52 PM
So what do we reckon he did?

GVGjr
23-05-2023, 12:07 AM

You think there is something more to it than burnout?

Dry Rot
23-05-2023, 01:12 AM
Someone, somewhere over the Nullarbor Plain was just heard to say, "Gee thanks Damien".

Grantysghost
23-05-2023, 10:45 AM

He's got form with the staff.

Happy Days
23-05-2023, 11:00 AM
You think there is something more to it than burnout?

Nah I?m just joking around.

Unless?

Sedat
23-05-2023, 11:34 AM
Nah I?m just joking around.

Unless?
Don't underestimate how difficult it is to keep up with someone many years younger in the boudoir.

westdog54
23-05-2023, 09:56 PM
I was surprised he's walking away without a farewell game.

whythelongface
23-05-2023, 10:21 PM
Hardwick is brave and a realist when he knows his had enough. The pressure of afl coaching is unrelenting
His done an incredible job to get them so much success
Rebuilt the list to get 3 premierships

To climb the mountain again with another rebuild , does he really want to do that ? Tje

We are fortunate to have Bevo

I hate to be playing the tigers this. week

He was a great coach. Basically implemented Bevo?s game plan and was able to, arguably, make it better. Pressure football at its best. Good luck to him for his next move.

hujsh
23-05-2023, 10:23 PM
He was a great coach. Basically implemented Bevo?s game plan and was able to, arguably, make it better. Pressure football at its best. Good luck to him for his next move.

Pretty sure that article earlier said he revolutionised the game

GVGjr
23-05-2023, 11:52 PM
I was surprised he's walking away without a farewell game.

I think he's doing the right thing in that the build up to the game won't be all about him. If he came to the decision at round 19 or 20 I suspect he might have coached a farewell game. He left today on a really good note.

SonofScray
24-05-2023, 01:21 AM
Bloke is a prick. I have a connection to the whole affair scenario and I’ll hate the bloke forever for his part in it.

bornadog
24-05-2023, 03:13 AM
Pretty sure that article earlier said he revolutionised the game

Yes took Bevo plan and agree with SOS that he is a prick

MrMahatma
24-05-2023, 06:12 AM
Great coach. 3 flags. Can’t argue with that.

Not gonna comment on his personal life. That’s his.

I hope he coaches again. Always enjoyed watching him interviewed. Wonder where he’ll end up?

bulldogtragic
24-05-2023, 07:58 AM
Great coach. 3 flags. Can’t argue with that.

Not gonna comment on his personal life. That’s his.

I hope he coaches again. Always enjoyed watching him interviewed. Wonder where he’ll end up?

Carlton, filthy rich.

jeemak
24-05-2023, 12:44 PM
He was a prick on the field. Good coach.

Hubristic as success became ingrained, with the commentary about hating Docklands being the high water mark when they get gifted multiple additional games/ finals at their home ground each year.

bornadog
02-08-2023, 11:58 PM
Cornes reporting 5 year deal

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F2g2hVjbgAAKJRj?format=jpg&name=large

bornadog
03-08-2023, 12:00 AM
Hardwick had a contract with Richmond till end of next year.

jeemak
03-08-2023, 12:46 AM
Imagine the black and white life Kane Corns lives. I can't figure out whether it makes it easier or tougher for him.

azabob
03-08-2023, 08:41 AM
Cornes reporting 5 year deal

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F2g2hVjbgAAKJRj?format=jpg&name=large

Cornes did not report it. He reported on someone elses story.

azabob
03-08-2023, 08:41 AM
Imagine the black and white life Kane Corns lives. I can't figure out whether it makes it easier or tougher for him.

You could ask a few posters on woof how it works out for them.

MrMahatma
03-08-2023, 09:34 AM
Maybe he and the Tigers sat down and said “This isn’t working and speculation will just ramp up if we have some more losses. Shall we call it?”

Tigers would only be filthy if him leaving was bad for them. I don’t think it has been or will have been. Some coaches hang on too long in the middle of the road. I think it was a brave call.

azabob
03-08-2023, 09:37 AM
Maybe he and the Tigers sat down and said “This isn’t working and speculation will just ramp up if we have some more losses. Shall we call it?”

Tigers would only be filthy if him leaving was bad for them. I don’t think it has been or will have been. Some coaches hang on too long in the middle of the road. I think it was a brave call.

Neil Balme (who is at the tigers) certainly has this view point.

hujsh
03-08-2023, 09:59 AM
I think Richmond is more a well run club than Hardwick is a great coach. Suspect this won't deliver the success GC want but will be called justified when someone else eventually does something with their list ala Roos

bulldogtragic
03-08-2023, 10:13 AM
I think Richmond is more a well run club than Hardwick is a great coach. Suspect this won't deliver the success GC want but will be called justified when someone else eventually does something with their list ala Roos

Sweet deal, why knock it back? 5 years, huge money, sunshine state, talented kids and ESPN had their three academy kids as top 10 picks.

I mean he walks in the door, refreshed, tanned, cashed up and they give him three top 10 kids to add to the stockpile. Does it start any better than that. Imagine if he takes up Dusty or someone of note too, that could be fun.

Good luck to him.

bornadog
03-08-2023, 10:15 AM
Gold Coast expected to offer Damien Hardwick five-year deal (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/gold-coast-expected-to-offer-damien-hardwick-five-year-deal-20230802-p5dt8n.html)

Gold Coast are a step closer to confirming Damien Hardwick as their next coach, with club chief executive Mark Evans flying to Italy to talk to Hardwick on his European vacation.

A senior club source, who was not authorised to speak publicly, has confirmed to The Scoop that the club reached out to Hardwick via phone last week to ask whether the three-time premiership coach at Richmond was interested in continuing his senior coaching career at the Suns.

After that conversation, the club devised a clandestine plan to send a senior representative to Europe to meet Hardwick face to face.

Evans flew into Milan with plans to travel to the Cinque Terre, on the Italian Riviera, to catch up with the former Tiger coach, who is holidaying there with his partner.

A senior industry source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said Hardwick was expected to be offered a five-year contract.

Gold Coast?s focus is on agreeing to terms with Hardwick before the end of the season. The Age has not been able to identify any other candidates in the process.

The club and Hardwick?s management were contacted by The Age and chose not to comment. It?s been a whirlwind year for Hardwick, who will celebrate his 51st birthday in a little over two weeks.

We will bring you news on the next step.

In late May, Hardwick shocked the football world by announcing that he would be leaving Richmond, effective immediately, despite having a season and a half left on his contract.

In a media conference at Punt Road, Hardwick cited burnout and said he had nothing left to give.

Richmond three-time premiership coach Damien Hardwick has resigned, effective immediately.

?I had a fair indication of the start of the year that I would like this to be my last year and then when the season did not turn out as I would have liked it, I started to question whether I was the right man for this job,? Hardwick said on May 22.

?I asked myself the question more and more, and if you keep asking yourself the question, you know the answer. If I could not give 100 per cent, there was no way I was going to coach.?

Since then, Hardwick has been doing his best to switch off from football. He travelled to Colorado in the United States, where he tweeted photos of himself watching his beloved Tigers in sports bars, before returning to Melbourne to watch his triple premiership captain Trent Cotchin play in his 300th game.

Hardwick appeared on the television broadcast several times, enjoying a beer alongside his partner and sitting with the likes of Richmond CEO Brendon Gale and former Tiger captain Wayne Campbell, who is head of football at the Suns.

There was another trip planned on the calendar, this time to Europe. But in June, before getting on the plane, Hardwick left us with an enthralling interview with former footballer turned podcaster and content creator Dylan Buckley.

?I?d be lying if I said I couldn?t see myself doing it,? Hardwick said, when asked if he could see himself coaching again.

?I love it, I miss it. I?ve been out for two weeks and I wanted to miss it, if that makes sense?

?I need to decompress for a while, I need to go away, I need to reflect. And figure out things that make me good and things that I can sit there and put me in a dark place, as well.?

Right or wrong, from that point, the microscope on Stuart Dew?s tenure at the Suns intensified.

Gold Coast, who made it clear publicly at the start of the year that it wanted and needed to improve, was threatening to miss out on finals for yet another season.

A report by senior Age journalist Caroline Wilson on Footy Classified that Dew wouldn?t be coach next year was rejected by the club publicly, but it proved accurate barely a week later when Dew was sacked after a 33-point loss to Port Adelaide.

Dew has not spoken publicly since, but was sighted in an Australian cricket training kit in England, watching on from inside the inner sanctum.

Topdog
03-08-2023, 11:10 AM
When did Gold Coast become a rival of Richmond?

hujsh
03-08-2023, 11:34 AM
Sweet deal, why knock it back? 5 years, huge money, sunshine state, talented kids and ESPN had their three academy kids as top 10 picks.

I mean he walks in the door, refreshed, tanned, cashed up and they give him three top 10 kids to add to the stockpile. Does it start any better than that. Imagine if he takes up Dusty or someone of note too, that could be fun.

Good luck to him.
I don't doubt it's a good move for him.

GVGjr
03-08-2023, 12:37 PM
A few coaches over the years are breaking their contracts and then get back into coaching a few weeks later.
I guess some players retire and then play the following year.

EasternWest
03-08-2023, 01:02 PM
You could ask a few posters on woof how it works out for them.

Stop attacking me.

azabob
03-08-2023, 01:25 PM
Stop attacking me.

mate the only thing you are black and white about is where are your macarooons.

EasternWest
03-08-2023, 02:40 PM
mate the only thing you are black and white about is where are your macarooons.

Ha ha.

And I hate tories. Let's not forget that.

macca
03-08-2023, 06:30 PM
Kinda surprise Hardwick saying he was burnt out and he wants to get back into the AFL coaching gig.
Going to a club with ordinary management , just look at his potential boss: Evens..
Sacked Dew, who was progressing the club

I will be surprised he will last 5 years.

josie
03-08-2023, 08:44 PM
Would Dew be a good acquisition for us as an assistant coach? Played at Port was it? and Hawthorn when they win 1 or more of their premierships. Plus was it assistant at Hawks under Clarkson or Richmond under Hardwick?

bulldogtragic
03-08-2023, 08:45 PM
Would Dew be a good acquisition for us as an assistant coach? Played at Port was it? and Hawthorn when they win 1 or more of their premierships. Plus was assistant it at Richmond under Hardwick?

Absolutely.

Grantysghost
03-08-2023, 08:46 PM
Absolutely.

Yes!

macca
03-08-2023, 08:53 PM
Would Dew be a good acquisition for us as an assistant coach? Played at Port was it? and Hawthorn when they win 1 or more of their premierships. Plus was it assistant at Hawks under Clarkson or Richmond under Hardwick?

He would at least provide some uplift in the kicking department.

jeemak
03-08-2023, 10:44 PM

He'd be an excellent choice as a senior assistant coach.

Was at Sydney after playing with the Hawks, and part of their 2012 premiership coaching team (and losing 2016 GF team!!!!!).

bornadog
03-08-2023, 11:42 PM
He'd be an excellent choice as a senior assistant coach.

Was at Sydney after playing with the Hawks, and part of their 2012 premiership coaching team (and losing 2016 GF team!!!!!).

Bevo was assistant at hawks when Dew played in 2008 GF

jeemak
04-08-2023, 01:46 AM
Bevo was assistant at hawks when Dew played in 2008 GF

No he wasn't BAD, he started as an assistant at Collingwood in 2009.

I'm so disappointed in you right now.

bornadog
04-08-2023, 09:55 AM
No he wasn't BAD, he started as an assistant at Collingwood in 2009.

I'm so disappointed in you right now.

Whoops :o

bornadog
21-09-2023, 07:44 PM
Adam Yze new coach of Richmond according to Caro

Dry Rot
21-09-2023, 08:00 PM
I saw this thread title on the latest threads list on the main board, and initially thought that Hardwick has now just quit the Gold Coast Suns when he realised what the club really was like.

bornadog
21-09-2023, 11:50 PM
I saw this thread title on the latest threads list on the main board, and initially thought that Hardwick has now just quit the Gold Coast Suns when he realised what the club really was like.
Sorry I couldn't find a Richmond thread and it wasn't worth starting a new one

Dry Rot
22-09-2023, 12:16 AM
Sorry I couldn't find a Richmond thread and it wasn't worth starting a new one

That's cool. I had a good laugh.