PDA

View Full Version : 3 things learned from Rd 11 2023

GVGjr
27-05-2023, 03:55 PM
Please list the 3 new things you learned from out game against the Suns.

Scorlibo
27-05-2023, 11:15 PM
1. The hype around our winning streak was misplaced primarily because our forwards remain a long way off where they need to be for us to compete.

2. Bont is a wet weather maestro but a sweat weather nightmare

3. Ballard is Naughton's kryptonite, and a very good player in his own right.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2023, 11:18 PM
1. Worst game I’ve seen Naughton play (literally prioritised his headband over the footy - FFS)

2. Liam Jones nearly won us the game from CHB

3. Blown a huge opportunity

4. McNeil & Hannan are not AFEL quality and should finish at Footscray

Bullies
27-05-2023, 11:26 PM
1. O'Brien is a worry down back.

2. Why keep perservering with McNeill and Hannan

3. Our mids had no touch on Rowell/Anderson or Humphrey. they were towelled.

4. Naughton actually didn't look interested. Some of those efforts were very ordinary.

macca
27-05-2023, 11:32 PM
1. O'Brien is a worry down back.

2. Why keep perservering with McNeill and Hannan

3. Our mids had no touch on Rowell/Anderson or Humphrey. they were towelled.

4. Naughton actually didn't look interested. Some of those efforts were very ordinary.

I would persevere with McNeil as he is still young. He should be played as a fwd pocket who needs to learn to crumb and improve his kicking by 200%.

Hannan I would be letting go this year and start putting in games into our younger players. I am really worried on the 24-28 age group as we have holes there across the ground.

Boots
27-05-2023, 11:36 PM
1. I have discovered a hate for Matt Rowell. He’s a beast but he’s an angry jerk.

2. our ground ball game is usually good but when it’s humid it’s awful.

I didn’t learn anything else. We played poorly and a bunch of consistent problems came out again: Poor kicking, poor marking, falling over a lot, failing to tackle.

AshMac
27-05-2023, 11:43 PM
1. I don?t ever want to see O?Brien take a kick in again. Honestly, I?d prefer he didn?t play afl w us again

2. Typical bulldogs to waste a golden opportunity to move into the top 4 and take some pressure off further into the season

3. We tried to play slick dry weather footy with a slippery pill and were horrendously ineffective going forward

Bonus - jamarras hands are incredible based on how slippery the ball was tonight

Dry Rot
28-05-2023, 11:09 PM
1. Suns have some very good players, Rowell >>> Cripps

2. Our midfield can be very ordinary

3. When English's mediocre tap work is exposed, it makes it very difficult for the rest of the team

D Mitchell
29-05-2023, 12:29 AM
Stats show that getting the ball into the forward 50 isn't the issue, it's what happens then that counts. Our prima donna forwards appear to prefer goal of the week / mark of the week to accumulating goals or pressure on opposition defenders waltzing out of our back 50. Defence starts in the goal mouth. Don't blame Gardner, Duryea, O'Brien or even O'Donnell.

bornadog
29-05-2023, 01:35 AM
Stats show that getting the ball into the forward 50 isn't the issue, it's what happens then that counts. Our prima donna forwards appear to prefer goal of the week / mark of the week to accumulating goals or pressure on opposition defenders waltzing out of our back 50. Defence starts in the goal mouth. Don't blame Gardner, Duryea, O'Brien or even O'Donnell.

I haven't seen the game, but how many set shots at goal did we miss?

D Mitchell
29-05-2023, 02:46 AM
I haven't seen the game, but how many set shots at goal did we miss?
Set shots, snaps, shots on the run, what does it matter ? It's the ease with which opposition defences run the ball out and set up scoring opportunities at the other end, whilst our vaunted forwards jog in their wake, that counts.

Bullies
29-05-2023, 07:50 AM
1. Suns have some very good players, Rowell >>> Cripps

2. Our midfield can be very ordinary

3. When English's mediocre tap work is exposed, it makes it very difficult for the rest of the team Witts gave his mid field an arm chair ride. Maybe it is time to play Sweet in the Ruck and English as a utility around the ground. Sweet is one of the best tap ruckman going around. We saw on Saturday night with Rowell, Anderson and Humphrey getting first use of it how you can set yourself up with minimum entries into the forward 50.

Mantis
29-05-2023, 08:39 AM
1/ The MC got it wrong... 4 tall defenders, Lobb on the wing.. we lost JJ and replaced him with O'Donnell.

2/ Any forward with nous towels up Gardner... especially when given space. Gardner must play back shoulder or for Footscray.

3/ Winning is tough... 5 in a row just about maxs us out.

Mofra
29-05-2023, 08:54 AM
1. Marra has improved every aspect if his game markedly since he was drafted... except his goal kicking has gone backwards sharply

2. Scotty is (surprisingly) our best small forward right now

3. We desperately need a legitimate intercept marking 3rd defender. Whether we go hard for Doedee as a FA or hope like hell Busslinger develops quickly, it's our biggest list need in the short term.

Jasper
29-05-2023, 10:58 AM
1 Our forward line isnt performing like it should and we miss Weightman kicking goals
2 Lobb isnt the ruck man or forward fix we hoped for
3 Liam Jones is a vastly better player than I envisaged

SonofScray
29-05-2023, 11:03 AM
1. Hannan isn't up to the standard and while we don't have the depth and he is an option for selection, we'd be better served taking a pint on another squad member with a developmental view.

2. We're looking a bit too workmanlike in the backline with Gardy/O'Brien/JOD and no JJ to offset things.

3. In a poor performance, there were still opportunities to bank 4 points and we didn't get it done. Says to me the its more likely than not that the team isn't at the competitive level required to win a final.

Dogs 24/7
29-05-2023, 12:50 PM
1 - We constantly fail to grasp our chances
2 - We lack athletic players
3 - As Mofra said, Scott is our most productive small forward

Bullies
29-05-2023, 01:48 PM
1 - We constantly fail to grasp our chances
2 - We lack athletic players
3 - As Mofra said, Scott is our most productive small forward I think this is the reason we are trying to fast track JOD. He is athletic and at 196cm the perfect build.

GVGjr
29-05-2023, 01:52 PM
I think this is the reason we are trying to fast track JOD. He is athletic and at 196cm the perfect build.

He has athletic traits no doubt, being able to use them effectively during games will take time.
I agree that we need more athletic players.

JanLorMill
29-05-2023, 02:12 PM
He has athletic traits no doubt, being able to use them effectively during games will take time.
I agree that we need more athletic players.
One of our most athletic players in English gave us very little Saturday. Our other ruck in Lobb is an athletic type too. It could be easily argued a ruck that is more physical or combative rather than athletic may have done better.

JanLorMill
29-05-2023, 02:33 PM
Athletic types are better set shots?

BornInDroopSt'54
29-05-2023, 03:09 PM
Here's 3 things David King learned:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2023-western-bulldogs-defence-exposed-by-david-king-on-first-crack-liam-jones-wallpapering-over-cracks/news-story/a7d76703b02e4a61a0a9fc4899b798d4

GVGjr
29-05-2023, 03:29 PM
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2023-western-bulldogs-defence-exposed-by-david-king-on-first-crack-liam-jones-wallpapering-over-cracks/news-story/a7d76703b02e4a61a0a9fc4899b798d4

It would be problematic to take the player most likely to be our leading goal kicker away from the forward line but King makes some valid assessments.

JanLorMill
29-05-2023, 03:36 PM
It would be problematic to take the player most likely to be our leading goal kicker away from the forward line but King makes some valid assessments.
If he plays like he did on Saturday again then it’s an obvious move. Personally I think Bruce is a better option in the backline than Gardner.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-05-2023, 06:55 PM
We are stll 6th with only post Selwood Cats, Swans and GC threatening to bust into 8!
So atm looks a good thing that we make finals.

Matjoh
29-05-2023, 07:03 PM
Didn't learn anything new - either have the dogs

1 They still mostly bomb the ball forward and for all our mostly bombed inside 50's our forwards can't take advantage of it or keep it there. This week was the worst show of that, 18 more inside 50's for 3 more shots and a loss. Yes we've won more than we've lost but margins should have been much better which equals percentage which could be decisive at the end. [Just scraped in last year luckily by 0.6]
2 Our forwards still mostly cant kick
3 Our tackling needs to improve both in number and effectiveness compared to opposition

macca
29-05-2023, 07:54 PM

that footage is pretty damming the loose distance Gardner and TOB left on their opponent, they were caught ball watching.

We cannot put Naughton back because he takes the number 1 defender.

westbulldog
29-05-2023, 08:02 PM
"We cannot put Naughton back because he takes the number 1 defender."

Who plays on Cameron then ?