31-05-2023, 08:38 PM
Moves from Footscray to the Western Bulldogs

Mofra
31-05-2023, 08:39 PM
Interesting choice.
Good luck to him, second chance saloon club - joins with Gardner and Hamling

soupman
31-05-2023, 08:41 PM
Odds of him debuting this week must be at least 5050 knowing Beveridge.

EasternWest
31-05-2023, 08:52 PM
Odds of him debuting this week must be at least 5050 knowing Beveridge.

JOD out Poulter in. Book it.

The Adelaide Connection
31-05-2023, 08:53 PM
If nothing else I love how we continue to reward those coming through the Footscray system. Will mean that players will continue to see it as a very real option when trying to get on an AFL list and that can only be a positive to the programme.

lemmon
31-05-2023, 09:16 PM
If nothing else I love how we continue to reward those coming through the Footscray system. Will mean that players will continue to see it as a very real option when trying to get on an AFL list and that can only be a positive to the programme.

Terrific point - I also think it's something we're probably proactively dangling in front of players we're interested in: 'Put a good 6 or 12 months together at Footscray, let us get a closer look at you and you're right in the frame for being drafted to the main list'.

I'm not sure if anyone else is leveraging their state league team in the same way, but it must be a huge carrot for mature-age guys on the cusp of the draft.

Haven't seen much of Caleb but here's hoping for a long future in the red, white and blue.

weltschmerz
31-05-2023, 09:38 PM
He's a tall rangy winger who's got a booming kick and knows how to tackle. From reading Collingwood fan discussions, the issues that led to him being delisted seemed to be more mental, that he lacked some competitive spark and didn't seem to have his head in the game. Being delisted and needing to push for a second chance could well have lit that spark.

Eastdog
31-05-2023, 10:07 PM
Welcome Caleb Poulter. Hope he goes well with us.

bulldogtragic
31-05-2023, 10:13 PM
So in 2020 as part of the Treloar trade they had pick 30 & then 31 (from us). Using pick 30 on Poulter. So we pretty much got that pick back now.

Realistically the odds for success are low looking at the MSD. But he’s got another chance to live out his dreams. So I hope for him, and for us, he takes the opportunity.

If they want to shuffle the board (ie Baker to HBF for JJ), I can see him playing ASAP like Gardner did.

macca
31-05-2023, 10:14 PM
He's a tall rangy winger who's got a booming kick and knows how to tackle. From reading Collingwood fan discussions, the issues that led to him being delisted seemed to be more mental, that he lacked some competitive spark and didn't seem to have his head in the game. Being delisted and needing to push for a second chance could well have lit that spark.

He had some intense competition to get into the collingwod side, so he could be a good smokey

good luck to him and its good to have a story to give him a second chance.

Is he going to play first year ? I hope so.

weltschmerz
31-05-2023, 10:19 PM
He'll either be number 25, which is the only one we have free from 1-44, or he can stick with the 54 from VFL, which is a good number.

bulldogtragic
31-05-2023, 10:23 PM
He'll either be number 25, which is the only one we have free from 1-44, or he can stick with the 54 from VFL, which is a good number.

Time to bring back Lin Jong’s #46. I miss it.

hujsh
31-05-2023, 11:06 PM
Well the bright side here is it feels like we have a fair bit of depth in the wing position when it was a huge question mark pre-season. Baker and Williams have nailed down the spot with Scott (and Lobb?) rotating through and Poulter as someone who has been good enough to play at AFL level. Maybe even R Smith if he gets fit. To me that's not 5 superstar wingmen but 5 options who can all play the role form and fitness allowing.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-06-2023, 12:08 AM

Don't I know it!

BornInDroopSt'54
01-06-2023, 12:14 AM
Wiki already updated:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caleb_Poulter

bornadog
01-06-2023, 04:47 AM
Good luck to Poulter hope he plays well.

MrMahatma
01-06-2023, 09:14 AM
Welcome aboard bud! Go well!

Hotdog60
02-06-2023, 06:48 AM
Back in the big time: New Dog's joy after delisting devastation

Caleb Poulter couldn't hide his delight after earning a second chance in the AFL

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/06/01/c4ad729d-3c0a-4771-bc86-ff5805477c53/CalebPoulter.jpg?width=952&height=592

CALEB Poulter was in Bali last October when the call he knew was coming finally arrived. His time at Collingwood was over after just two years at the AIA Centre. The Trade Period came and went. So did the delisted free agency window and the drafts. He was back to square one.

Rather than returning to South Australia and searching for a pulse in the SANFL, the 20-year-old chose to remain in Melbourne and signed with Footscray, hoping the club's track record of promoting players from its VFL program to the Western Bulldogs would provide a lifeline.

After eight months out of the system, Poulter is back inside an AFL club after being one of only two recycled players ? Quinton Narkle was the other ? to land a second chance in Wednesday night's Mid-Season Rookie Draft.
"I was obviously pretty devastated when I got delisted. I found out when I was in Bali over the phone. I went through all my exit meetings and didn't get told for sure, so I found out over there and was pretty devastated," Poulter told AFL.com.au after being picked.

"It probably took me a couple of weeks to get over it. Actually, it probably took me a couple of months. I got back into pre-season and put in the work. I was definitely shattered but I wanted to use that as a driving motivator to get drafted again."

https://twitter.com/i/status/1663848029970137088

After being selected at No.30 in the 2020 AFL Draft, Poulter played 11 games in his debut season and looked destined for another contract and a more regular spot in the Magpies' best team.

But the transition from Nathan Buckley to Craig McRae and the emergence of Josh Daicos on one wing and the return to form of Steele Sidebottom on the other, restricted him to just one appearance in 2022 and led to his departure at the end of last season.

The Mid-Season Rookie Draft was the aim when he signed with Footscray. Ryan Gardner resurrected his AFL career there and Billy Gowers landed a second chance out of the Whitten Oval. Will Hayes, Anthony Scott, Jordan Boyd, Robbie McComb, Cody Raak, Mitch Hannan and Kyle Dunkley were all recruited from the Dogs' VFL program. It made sense.
But it was far from a forgone conclusion. Poulter produced a handful of strong displays across eight games under Stewart Edge, moments on the outside that fill a need at the Western Bulldogs. But it wasn't until national recruiting manager Dom Milesi subtly reminded Poulter to nominate ahead of the deadline last week that the prospect of returning to the AFL felt possible.

"I was never too sure, to be honest," he said. "I thought if I put in the work in the first half of the year with the Mid-Season Draft coming, I would be a sniff. I went to Footscray because I knew the Western Bulldogs had a list spot open. Luckily it has worked out for me. I knew it would pay off if I did the work. I spoke to Sam a couple of weeks ago, but they didn't let on much. It was a nervous wait that's for sure."

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/04/22/9e48ebe6-b240-4e7c-bd08-06a50b1554ee/2hnuzoF6.jpg?width=708&height=1062

Wednesday couldn't have taken any longer if it tried. By the time Poulter and his partner sat down to watch the coverage on AFL.com.au, the Woodville-West Torrens product was exhausted. But the wait was worth it for someone who has now lived the draft experience twice.

"It has been one of the longest days of my life," he said. "Dom rang me about 15 minutes before the pick and told me they were going to take me. I was still trying to get my head around that. it was an unreal feeling. It was probably better than the first time I was drafted I reckon. All the emotions came out. It was an amazing feeling."
The Bulldogs have won seven of their past nine games heading into the mid-season bye rounds after recovering from a winless first fortnight of 2023.

Luke Beveridge hasn't made too many selection changes of late, but with Norm Smith medallist Jason Johannisen sidelined for another couple of months with a serious hamstring strain, there is a spot available at half-back. The selection of James O'Donnell in the past month is the latest example of a coach who is prepared to think outside the box.

Poulter has signed a six-month contract at the Bulldogs and is ready to fight for a spot in a side on track for September action, but with spots available on the outside.

"I fully back myself in," he said. "I've put in the work and want to reap the rewards. I think if I can get to the club as soon as possible, get to work and earn the respect of my teammates, I know I can go a long way."

Poulter will start with the AFL program full-time on Friday morning. Not much has changed since he was last at the Whitten Oval, but so much has changed at the same time. His decision to stay in Melbourne and join an aligned VFL club has paid dividends.

LINK (https://www.afl.com.au/news/941119/back-in-the-big-time-new-dog-s-joy-after-delisting-devastation)

macca
02-06-2023, 01:58 PM
I asked about Poulter with Collingwood friends: with the Wing position, behind Sidebottom, Daicos brothers, Hoskin Elliot. His kicking is abit iffy at times and has a lite frame . I hope the last 2 is something could be improve with the right training program.

I have a good feeling, we have a goood money ball selection here. He must be rated if he played 11 games in his first season, eventhough the Pies did not do well in Buckley's last year.

My bet is he will get a few games this year.

GVGjr
02-06-2023, 03:27 PM
I asked about Poulter with Collingwood friends: with the Wing position, behind Sidebottom, Daicos brothers, Hoskin Elliot. His kicking is abit iffy at times and has a lite frame . I hope the last 2 is something could be improve with the right training program.

I have a good feeling, we have a goood money ball selection here. He must be rated if he played 11 games in his first season, eventhough the Pies did not do well in Buckley's last year.

Bevo confirmed today he is very likely to play soon and that he regards him as a long term prospect.

hujsh
02-06-2023, 03:44 PM
Bevo confirmed today he is very likely to play soon and that he regards him as a long term prospect.

He's young. Could be good one for the future.

GVGjr
02-06-2023, 04:06 PM
He's young. Could be good one for the future.

He only signed a 6 month contact which is in effect about 4 or 5 months so the club could cut him loose at the end of the season but given he's 20 the most likely scenario is he gets a one year deal if he shows something in the next few weeks.

hujsh
02-06-2023, 04:13 PM
He only signed a 6 month contact which is in effect about 4 or 5 months so the club could cut him loose at the end of the season but given he's 20 the most likely scenario is he gets a one year deal if he shows something in the next few weeks.

Oh yeah obviously there's the chance he gets cut, I mean more that if things work out and he becomes a best 22 players after a year or 2 in our system he'll be 22 instead of like 29.

Axe Man
02-06-2023, 04:20 PM
Caleb's draft profile. Does seem unlucky to have been delisted after only 2 years by the Pies. We have picked up a first round prospect from the 2020 draft for nothing, could prove a bargain. Hopefully he grabs his chance.

POSITION: Midfielder/Forward

DRAFT ANALYSIS: ?Poulter is a prototypical tall midfielder with a good inside/outside mix, who is also capable of impacting up forward.? ? Eli Duxson

Woodville-West Torrens and Henley High prospect, Caleb Poulter is most often utilised as midfielder who provides grunt on the inside, but also threatens to open games up with his skills on the outer. At 192cm and 79kg, he has shown he can be a formidable target either around the ground or in the forward line, which serves as another showing of his versatility. He also spent some time on the wing, further displaying his neat blend of inside and outside attributes. After steadily increasing his draft stocks since representing South Australia at Under 16 level in 2019, he burst into the 2020 season with an impressive 34 disposals, one goal, 10 tackles, seven clearances, seven marks, and six inside 50s in Round 1 of the SANFL Under 18s. Since then, he not only received opposition attention, but also caught the eye of recruiters en route to bolting into first round contention. His outstanding performance in the South Australian Under 18 All-Stars fixture only consolidated such status.

STRENGTHS:
Tackling
Penetrating kick
Presence/impact
Clean hands/disposal
Scoreboard impact
Overhead marking
Versatility

IMPROVEMENTS:
Four-quarter performance
Consistent execution by foot

Poulter has come on significantly over the last couple of years and has already shown large improvement from an impressive bottom-age season to now. He averaged 17.2 disposals, 3.4 tackles, 3.7 marks, 2.5 clearances, and 3.6 inside 50s from his 13 games at Under 18 level in 2019 and managed 11 goals. The 2020 season saw him play four games in the Reserves as a reward for his Under 18 performances, where he improved on his previous season to average 25.2 disposals, 4.7 tackles, 5.5 marks, 3.4 clearances, and 4.8 inside 50s from his 12 games.

Scoreboard accuracy, and consistently executing by foot are areas that Poulter could work on to ensure his presence up forward translates into greater scoreboard pressure. He managed to score in every Under 18 game bar one, but only managed 10.13, with five games of no goals and at least one behind a key factor. He is a lovely kick, but he tends to blaze away when within range of the goals. So, while he does the hard work in manufacturing an opportunity, conversion is still something that could increase his already big impact on games. His four-quarter consistency is not a glaring issue, but when he rotates between midfield and forward he can sometimes drift in and out of the game. In saying that, when he is on, he can turn a game on its head so if he can keep that level for longer periods, it is dangerous for an opposition team.

Poulter?s ability to damage on the inside and outside is indicative of his strengths. His tackling and clearance work allows him to get first hands on the ball, distribute it, or even go himself. His penetrating left boot is also a handy feature of his game as he has found himself linking his side between the arcs and sending them forward on many occasions. When forward, he is an awkward matchup as he is too tall for a small or medium defender, but not quite the focal point of an attack either. He is very strong overhead, credit to a sizeable vertical leap, and finds space quite easily on the lead, but is just damaging when the ball hits the ground.

Part of Poulter's terrific ability to accumulate is the various ways in which he can find the ball. He covers plenty of ground when utilised through the middle, able to float up and back to mark uncontested, or provide a target with his aerial prowess. Alternatively, he is incredibly clean with at ground level and so efficient in heavy traffic, able to win the ground balls and quickly release by hand to teammates in space. As an overall package, Poulter has an arsenal of weapons difficult to match and could be the next tall midfielder to take the game by storm once he hits the elite level.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 15-30

Poulter's rise has culminated in his standing as a first round candidate, especially after showing his class against the best his state has to offer in the All-Stars game. He has all the tools to become an ideal modern day midfielder; tall, athletic, balanced, high-impact, high-marking, and more. On top of that, he is the kind of player who will inevitably attract fans, with his style easy on the eye, flashy boots difficult to miss, and flowing mullet already a talking point. Should he slide into the second round given he remains somewhat of a prospective pick, he could well prove a steal at anywhere between picks 20-30.

Link (https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/caleb-poulter/)

GVGjr
02-06-2023, 04:28 PM
I remain convinced that for some players all they need is opportunities and patience and in the case of Poulter I think we are well placed to provide both.

We aren't deep in options for the positions he is best placed to fill so that will provide opportunities for him and given his age we can afford to be patient.

I don't think Collingwood got rid of him because he couldn't play and it was more that they had better options for his more natural positions.

Grantysghost
02-06-2023, 04:33 PM
Especially on the back of covid.

bornadog
02-06-2023, 04:36 PM

His kicking is one of his strengths

Rocco Jones
02-06-2023, 04:38 PM
I remain convinced that for some players all they need is opportunities and patience and in the case of Poulter I think we are well placed to provide both.

We aren't deep in options for the positions he is best placed to fill so that will provide opportunities for him and given his age we can afford to be patient.

I don't think Collingwood got rid of him because he couldn't play and it was more that they had better options for his more natural positions.

Totally.

I love the NBA and make a lot of comparisons to that. Basketball is a global spot and NBA is basically the best of the best. Even at such a high standard, it can be what you said. Miami are in the Finals Series with a bunch of undrafted guys.

What I would add to your comment is how they fit into a team's systems and structures.

GVGjr
02-06-2023, 05:01 PM
His kicking is one of his strengths

It's also one of the concerns, looks great when it's on but it's often enough with a very low margin of error that comes back and bites.
If we can improve that a bit he will be a nice fit.

Hotdog60
02-06-2023, 06:21 PM
This gives us a feather in our cap
"The Mid-Season Rookie Draft was the aim when he signed with Footscray. Ryan Gardner resurrected his AFL career there and Billy Gowers landed a second chance out of the Whitten Oval. Will Hayes, Anthony Scott, Jordan Boyd, Robbie McComb, Cody Raak, Mitch Hannan and Kyle Dunkley were all recruited from the Dogs' VFL program. It made sense."

macca
02-06-2023, 06:55 PM
Anthony scott and Gardner are looking the best picks out of all them !

Scott looks like he could play the most games , as he has versatility and is reasonable clean with disposal.

Mofra
02-06-2023, 07:04 PM
Oskar Baker likes this

bulldogtragic
03-06-2023, 11:20 AM
Bevo on Poulter:

Impressive at state level
Will play senior footy this year
Expect him to play a decade with the club

EasternWest
03-06-2023, 12:50 PM
Bevo on Poulter:

That is..... Bold.

bulldogtragic
03-06-2023, 12:53 PM
That is..... Bold.

Four months ago we passed on him. Now after a handful of VFL Games he’s a decade long player.

Yep.

Rocco Jones
03-06-2023, 01:02 PM
Bevo on Poulter:

Footscray is a team that is part of the club, right?

Grantysghost
03-06-2023, 01:15 PM
Bevo on Poulter:

He says some strange things.

GVGjr
03-06-2023, 01:19 PM
Four months ago we passed on him. Now after a handful of VFL Games he’s a decade long player.

Yep.

He made a mistake to put a time frame on it. "We see him as a long term prospect given his age and the way he has applied himself at Footscray" might have been a better response.

Poulters comments that he played a stinker for Footscray up at Darwin and how he thought that might not have helped him shows that we take a wide view with our selection process.

bornadog
29-06-2023, 06:33 PM
Ex-Pie to make Bulldogs debut against Dockers (https://www.afl.com.au/news/958252)

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/06/01/c4ad729d-3c0a-4771-bc86-ff5805477c53/CalebPoulter.jpg?width=1064&height=600

A MONTH after earning an AFL lifeline via the Mid-Season Rookie Draft, Caleb Poulter will play his first game for the Western Bulldogs on Saturday.

The 20-year-old played 11 games for Collingwood in 2021 but only managed one more appearance last year before being delisted in October after just two years at the AIA Centre.

But after being one of only two recycled players ? Quinton Narkle was the other ? to secure a second chance last month, Poulter will launch the second chapter of his AFL career against Fremantle at Marvel Stadium (https://www.afl.com.au/afl/matches/4915).

Rather than returning to South Australia, the Woodville-West Torrens product joined Footscray at the end of last year and has played 11 games in the VFL season.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/06/15/9bbbc387-f8f3-43c8-b6ac-c186e764d806/BPrSgtPd.jpg?width=1064&height=600

After naming him in the 26-man squad in round 13, Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has now opted to pick Poulter following a spate of injuries down back in recent months.

With Ed Richards and Jason Johannisen missing due to hamstring strains, the former Collingwood wingman is set to play at half-back and in his usual position against Fremantle.

Eastdog
29-06-2023, 10:20 PM
Good luck Caleb Poulter!

hujsh
29-06-2023, 10:48 PM
Wish him the best

josie
29-06-2023, 11:01 PM
Our brunette mullet man. Good luck Caleb. Hope you play well in a big win for the dogs. Even better if you also help us beat your old side next week.

Bulldog Joe
30-06-2023, 09:15 AM
Hopeful that Caleb can justify his selection.

Dogs 24/7
30-06-2023, 04:11 PM
Good luck you man. We are a far better club than the Pies. Just ask Adz.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2023, 03:52 PM
Pretty handy start.

AshMac
01-07-2023, 09:15 PM
Liked what i saw today, reasonable composure with ball in hand

EasternWest
01-07-2023, 09:17 PM
Liked what i saw today, reasonable composure with ball in hand

Yeah he did ok. Can clearly kick a long way.

Wonder what his tickling is like?

AshMac
01-07-2023, 09:19 PM
Yeah he did ok. Can clearly kick a long way.

Wonder what his tickling is like?

He definitely plays next week so hopefully he can make the pies laugh

Mofra
01-07-2023, 10:15 PM
13th game, 20 years old, gets a fair bit of leeway because of that but shows signs at least.
I'd like him to get an AFL pre-season with us and then get a better idea of where he's at

hujsh
01-07-2023, 10:42 PM
13th game, 20 years old, gets a fair bit of leeway because of that but shows signs at least.
I'd like him to get an AFL pre-season with us and then get a better idea of where he's at

Did he not train with the AFL players pre-season this year trying to get a spot?

GVGjr
01-07-2023, 11:00 PM
Did he not train with the AFL players pre-season this year trying to get a spot?

Played in 4 practice games but never trained with us.
Trained with Footscray

ledge
03-07-2023, 09:42 PM
Looked a little shocked and nervous at times but didn’t do a thing wrong. Looked like he played a role and within his capabilities.
Definitely needs a feed but I was very happy with what he did. From pies supporters I know they were surprised he was delisted.

D Mitchell
04-07-2023, 07:55 AM
I scarcely noticed him. The times I did, he worked hard off the ball. A tall wingman. I hope it comes off.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2023, 09:09 AM
Watched a few times now his very long zone defence clearing I50 kick to Marra - who marked and goaled.

It’s among the best field kicks by a bulldog player this year. If can do that a couple times a game, that’s a nice thing to have. Might have only had a dozen or so touches, but nearly half were score involvements. So I liked he made them count.

azabob
07-07-2023, 12:11 PM
Nice little article on Poulter and Jack Crisp.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/963539/park-the-bromance-new-dog-proud-dad-set-to-face-off

bornadog
08-07-2023, 05:41 PM
I really liked his game last night, especially in the last quarter. The goal he kicked was a ripper.

macca
08-07-2023, 05:47 PM
If we can get half as many games from Poulter , he would be a great recruit

Crisp was the set of stake knives player from Brisbane, and he has become an important player for them

I am feel very positive on Poulter , so much to like :
- good foundations ( especially after reading the article )
- training and work ethic
- booming left good kick

Just have to improve on his weakness

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-07-2023, 05:48 PM
Looked more advanced than O’Donnell and should be retained.
West also has impressed with his strong tackling in particular,
which helps add to our depth

kruder
08-07-2023, 06:39 PM
I really liked his game last night, especially in the last quarter. The goal he kicked was a ripper.

Yeah agree, kept coming looks like he has decent endurance.

bornadog
08-07-2023, 06:52 PM
Yeah agree, kept coming looks like he has decent endurance.

where do you think he will end up as he gets more mature and fills up a bit. At 194cm he is a tall winger.

kruder
08-07-2023, 07:36 PM
where do you think he will end up as he gets more mature and fills up a bit. At 194cm he is a tall winger.

With his speed/endurance profile and his depth in kicking I reckon wing is perfect. If Poulter/JOD become best 22 AFL players in time its going to be a big win for the club. I know its only early but got more faith in Poulter than Baker from what we have seen.

macca
08-07-2023, 07:54 PM
If he can improve his marking as a player to kick to, out of our defensive 50 , 20 m run +60 m kick , thats a quick delivery into our fwd line, he could become a damaging player

MrMahatma
08-07-2023, 09:59 PM
If he can improve his marking as a player to kick to, out of our defensive 50 , 20 m run +60 m kick , thats a quick delivery into our fwd line, he could become a damaging player

Nathan Eagleton 2.0?
Marginally more hair.

Go_Dogs
08-07-2023, 11:03 PM
He looks much better at AFL level than I expected based on the VFL and training reports. He?s a great size, has a turn of speed and can roost the ball. Definitely got a future and I think we?ve just landed a 100 gamer.

jeemak
09-07-2023, 01:55 AM
A bit like Baker he's going to have his issues with first touch and decision making, but if he can optimise his other attributes there's definitely a place for him.

Hopefully like Scott he can build on his opportunities and become a known quantity at the level so we can pick him and not have to worry about what we're going to get.