PDA

View Full Version : Marlion Pickett

GVGjr
11-06-2023, 09:40 PM
Sad to hear the news that Marlion Pickett has been arrested for burglary.

Richmond's Marlion Pickett is in custody in Perth after being charged over a series of alleged burglaries.

The 31-year-old was arrested in the aftermath of the Tigers? game against Fremantle at Optus Stadium on Saturday night.

He is facing allegations of four counts of aggravated burglary, and three counts of stealing and criminal damages, targeting commercial properties across last December and January.

Foxfooty.com.au understands Pickett will face Perth Magistrates Court early tomorrow afternoon.

Pickett's manager Anthony Van Der Wielen told News Corp the player has a strong intent to defend himself against the charges.

Due to the ongoing legal nature of the proceedings, Marlion, or myself will not be able to provide any further details, comment or clarification about the matter at this stage.

We understand and respect the public's interest in this matter, but we also implore all to respect the presumption of innocence until proven otherwise, and to allow the legal proceedings to follow their due course without prejudice.

The Tigers confirmed the news and stated the club will continue to support Marlion and his family while these matters are dealt with?.

Pickett was famously picked up in the 2019 mid-season draft by Richmond, and debuted in the 2019 Grand Final win over GWS.

It came after a difficult childhood and a 30-month jail term as a young adult, which saw him found guilty of 17 counts of burglary and one count of aggravated burglary.

After being released Pickett began his football career and after impressing in the WAFL over a half-decade, was picked up by the Tigers with the 13th pick in the 2019 mid-season rookie draft.

He only began full contact training in July and impressed in the Tigers? VFL premiership campaign, earning him a call-up for the AFL Grand Final to replace injured midfielder Jack Graham.

Pickett was the sixth player in VFL-AFL history to debut in a Grand Final, and the first since 1952, then becoming the first player to win a premiership on debut since 1926. He finished third in the Norm Smith Medal.

RICHMOND STATEMENT

Richmond Football Club player Marlion Pickett has been remanded in custody on alleged burglary charges and will attend Perth Magistrates Court tomorrow for a bail hearing.

The alleged offences occurred in December 2022 and January 2023.

The Club will continue to support Marlion and his family while these matters are dealt with.

As this matter is now before the courts, the Club will not be making any further comment.

EasternWest
11-06-2023, 10:05 PM
Far out

Edit: just texted a Richmond friend and his response was "bet Matt Parker was involved". I don't even know who that is.

GVGjr
11-06-2023, 10:08 PM
You would hope bringing players into a professional environment would help sort out their life but there will always be some that don't make the most of it.

Grantysghost
11-06-2023, 10:13 PM
Hardwick got out amazingly just in time.

Go_Dogs
11-06-2023, 10:45 PM
Bizarre story in some ways if the allegations are proved given I assume he’s financial on an AFL player salary.

Let’s see what unfolds.

Jeanette54
11-06-2023, 11:01 PM
I wondered what the definition of aggravated burglary was, this is the definition:

"Burglary is aggravated if someone is present during the burglary and the offender knew or was reckless as to the fact, or if the offender has a weapon or fake weapon".

ledge
11-06-2023, 11:11 PM
I wondered what the definition of aggravated burglary was, this is the definition:

"Burglary is aggravated if someone is present during the burglary and the offender knew or was reckless as to the fact, or if the offender has a weapon or fake weapon".

It says on commercial businesses so robbed shops when they were open would be the guess . Cashier or owner there .

Bulldog Joe
12-06-2023, 02:14 PM
This is about as unbelievable as I could imagine.

Why would anyone on an AFL salary been even tempted to be involved in something like this?

I sincerely hope that the full evidence exonerates him.

Jeanette54
13-06-2023, 11:44 AM
This is about as unbelievable as I could imagine.

Why would anyone on an AFL salary been even tempted to be involved in something like this?

I sincerely hope that the full evidence exonerates him.

The papers are reporting he does have prior "form". And that report was both a surprise. and (I think) a little prejudicial to justice. I always thought that "priors" only had a bearing after guilt is established, as an aid to sentencing.

I will always err on the side of presumption of innocence.

Mofra
13-06-2023, 01:16 PM
Sounds like it's a bit more complex than first reports suggest - Marlion paid for/leased items used in the burglaries and may not have been aware of what they were going to be used for, or if so the full extent.
Given the backdrop of humbugging and family ties that are his background, he might have some reasonable grounds to contest some if not all of the charges.

1eyedog
13-06-2023, 04:37 PM
He'll still be booed.

jeemak
13-06-2023, 08:59 PM
He'll still be booed.

Interesting test for a lot of people who vehemently backed Clarkson, Fagan and Burt. Reckon there'd be a fairly substantial crossover between them and those who may boo Pickett.

Grantysghost
13-06-2023, 09:08 PM
It's good that the Tigers are looking after him. It's the right way.

D Mitchell
14-06-2023, 12:32 AM
Wouldn't it be prudent to suspend commitment to a position until after more comes out ?

hujsh
14-06-2023, 02:54 AM
Wouldn't it be prudent to suspend commitment to a position until after more comes out ?

Has anyone taken a position? I see a lot of 'if true' and 'there may be' but not a lot of tent pitching given the lack of known facts

ledge
14-06-2023, 10:28 AM
Sounds like it's a bit more complex than first reports suggest - Marlion paid for/leased items used in the burglaries and may not have been aware of what they were going to be used for, or if so the full extent.
Given the backdrop of humbugging and family ties that are his background, he might have some reasonable grounds to contest some if not all of the charges.

I hate the way the media writes headlines, they go way over the top and then when it causes a player to be hated or harassed by the crowd they turn it on the crowd . I think the JHF booing is a direct link to the media write ups about him since he was drafted by North. I personally think it’s got to a stage sports reporters should stick to reporting on the sports side of people not comment on personal life of players or presume what players mind set is .

hujsh
14-06-2023, 10:41 AM
I hate the way the media writes headlines, they go way over the top and then when it causes a player to be hated or harassed by the crowd they turn it on the crowd . I think the JHF booing is a direct link to the media write ups about him since he was drafted by North. I personally think it’s got to a stage sports reporters should stick to reporting on the sports side of people not comment on personal life of players or presume what players mind set is .

I'd be booing the kid who 'went home' to Geelong over JHF if the issue is draft integrity so I guess it probably is the 'ice bath' type stories that people are so offended by.

Sedat
14-06-2023, 11:50 AM
Innocent until proven guilty is the only system for a functioning democratic society - it's certainly an infinitely better system than hysterically coming to premature conclusions based on untested media articles. Marlion fully deserves the presumption of innocence for his police changes as much as Phil Egan deserves his for the police charges he is currently under. And as with Egan, let the charges be properly heard in the correct forum and all the evidence fully and soberly assessed.