PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 14, 2023 vs North Melbourne

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-06-2023, 11:16 AM
This is the Round 14, 2023 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once this afternoon's game against North Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
18-06-2023, 08:18 PM
B

Weightman is a freak
Thought West did a few ok things. Nothing brilliant, but ok
The most dangerous forward line this season

A

VDM is not the answer. But he’s got 2.5 years
B. Smith looked almost disinterested at times

hujsh
18-06-2023, 08:21 PM
B

Weightman is a freak

A

IDK he looks ok back to me. He's aggressive and might over commit at times but he's not doing bad and is doing his part to replace JJ and Ed

bulldogtragic
18-06-2023, 08:23 PM
IDK he looks ok back to me. He's aggressive and might over commit at times but he's not doing bad and is doing his part to replace JJ and Ed

I don’t see it myself. Wasn’t his worst game, but I’m not seeing it.

whythelongface
18-06-2023, 08:51 PM
B

Weightman is a freak

A

Agree with West. What he can do is good. The problem is he doesn’t do it often enough. Looks like he is getting a good run of games to show his worth.

bulldogtragic
18-06-2023, 08:53 PM
Agree with West. What he can do is good. The problem is he doesn’t do it often enough. Looks like he is getting a good run of games to show his worth.

I hope he gets a JOD like five games ‘no questions asked’ to just work into his job.

Grantysghost
18-06-2023, 08:56 PM
Marra loved his game.

Such a natural forward, he really works hard up and back and is impossible to stop at full reach.

I'd say it's fatigue with the goal kicking I wouldn't worry too much.

We've got an amazing talent on our hands.

Darcy, Naughton, Weightman and Marra for ten more years yes please!

Edit : should reply to the thread

Bankers :

- Marra's development and leading patterns. Natural forward, also a great kick he will get the set shots right.
- Weightman when he plays like that he's unstoppable. Just give the kid space and supply.
- Bont. Bont things. No coincedence when he went off for a rest in the last the Roos mounted a run of goals.

Anchors :

- Injuries to key defenders. Ergh. Jones that sucks.
- Coaches for crowding the forward line with talls.....As a strategy.
- Leaking goals over the back....IT'S BACK!

westbulldog
18-06-2023, 09:00 PM
Bankers
Weightman
Bontempelli
4 points and winning ugly with a severely restricted bench and backline.

Anchors
Disgraceful umpiring - kicking in danger breaks Jones' forearm and not reported, McKay's late hit on Weightman no 50, not reported
Duryea is a liability down back.
Ugle-Hagan not passing to Lobb, asleep, stupid or selfish take your pick.

bornadog
18-06-2023, 09:02 PM
Bankers

1. Bont is unbelievable at times. The effort to get the ball and make sure we win was super human

2. Weightman's set shot accuracy - 50 games at 84 goals, 35 behinds

3. Treloar - so glad he plays for us.

Anchors

1. Injury to Jones after dog act. You don't throw your leg like that into a pack.

2. Umpires again. No idea. You can't tunnel ball - it is a throw. HTB was a joke tonight

3. Keath - he is done

Dry Rot
18-06-2023, 09:19 PM
Bankers

1. Notwithstanding the 6 goals, Weightman's all round game is developing nicely

2. Bont, Treloar and Libba

3. Williams very solid

Anchors

1. Not only did a North player kick and break Jones' arm, but none of the commentators mentioned it

2. I'm not sure what has happened with Keath, but it is not good, suspect Gardner would be a better option move forward

3. Our are bottom 6 the worst in the league?

angelopetraglia
19-06-2023, 01:02 AM
Bankers

3. Our are bottom 6 the worst in the league?

Well. Let's just look at North tonight. Are our bottom six better than:

Miller Bergman
Eddie Ford
Phoenix Spicer
Coleman-Jones
Paul Curtis
Aidan Corr

Dry Rot
19-06-2023, 02:06 AM
Well. Let's just look at North tonight. Are our bottom six better than:

Miller Bergman
Eddie Ford
Phoenix Spicer
Coleman-Jones
Paul Curtis
Aidan Corr

If they are, then not by much.

China Dog
19-06-2023, 08:13 AM
Too many players who are either done or not up to AFL standard. Kieth, Duryea and O’Brien are completely shot. Hannan, VDM, and McNeill are consistently not good enough and Bailey Smith needs to show more interest in the game and the team than in himself. It’s hard with so many passengers.

AshMac
19-06-2023, 08:45 AM
Bankers

- Bonts beast mode and quick hands in the second half
- weightmans marking and kicking
- solid performance from West. Good tackling and used the ball well when he had it
- naughton back and the space in our forward 50

Anchors

- tackling! Every week teams shrug us off or get the ball out. Every. Single. Week.
- Jones injury
- bakers inability to get rid of the ball
- Bailey smith - everything about him annoys me now
- Bailey Dales kicking around the ground

Mantis
19-06-2023, 09:12 AM
If they are, then not by much.

Our bottom 6 are much better than North's... but the big issue is our bottom 6 are pretty much worse than all other top 6-8 teams which is a much fairer comparison.

bulldogtragic
19-06-2023, 09:26 AM
Bankers

- Bonts beast mode and quick hands in the second half
- weightmans marking and kicking
- solid performance from West. Good tackling and used the ball well when he had it
- naughton back and the space in our forward 50

Anchors

- tackling! Every week teams shrug us off or get the ball out. Every. Single. Week.
- Jones injury
- bakers inability to get rid of the ball
- Bailey smith - everything about him annoys me now
- Bailey Dales kicking around the ground

So it’s not just me getting this about him.

EasternWest
19-06-2023, 09:28 AM
So it’s not just me getting this about him.

A really smart and good looking guy talked about trading him but was quickly told off for it.

bulldogtragic
19-06-2023, 09:50 AM
A really smart and good looking guy talked about trading him but was quickly told off for it.

What did they say? It could be a very interesting conversation and this is a place for interesting conversations… was that before or after he was outed as Mr 2%?

For argument sake, I think his trade value would exceed his actual output and ability. Was it something like that?

EasternWest
19-06-2023, 09:58 AM
What did they say? It could be a very interesting conversation and this is a place for interesting conversations… was that before or after he was outed as Mr 2%?

For argument sake, I think his trade value would exceed his actual output and ability. Was it something like that?

Pretty much spot on.

And yeah well before the 2% thing.

bulldogtragic
19-06-2023, 10:01 AM
Pretty much spot on.

You’re right, that’s an interesting conversation of trading Bailey Smith this year. I wouldn’t tell off anyone floating it about…

GVGjr
19-06-2023, 10:06 AM
Bankers
- Bailey Williams is one of our genuine versatile players. His ability to move to the back line was invaluable last night.
- Great to have a productive Weightman back to liven up our forward line.
- After Goldstein was really causing us some issues early it was a sign of the maturity of English to bounce back and be a dominate player was important.

Anchors
- Still disappointed with the output from Lobb. We need so much more from him.
- Baker's form is a concern. We need his run and carry but we also need him to minimise some errors.
- The crowd number was disappointing. I get why our Bulldog people stayed away but we won't ever be a genuinely strong club without a more resilient supporter base.

Mofra
19-06-2023, 10:09 AM
Bankers
- Weightman's set shots. It's such a contrast to our other forwards
- Don't make Bont angry. You won't like him when he's angry
- Scott. Probably the most underrated player in our team. Plays everywhere

Anchors
- Injury gods can GAGF
- I like Keath but he's no longer a KPD
- I really hope Marra's set shots improve, and fast. Everything else about him is elite, or damn close to it

Grantysghost
19-06-2023, 11:13 AM
Pretty much spot on.

His DNA is 2 percent pure mullet?

bulldogtragic
19-06-2023, 11:19 AM
His DNA is 2 percent pure mullet?

Imagine if he put some of the time from his hair into his kicking.

Bulldog4life
19-06-2023, 11:21 AM
Bankers
- Weightman's set shots. It's such a contrast to our other forwards
- Don't make Bont angry. You won't like him when he's angry
- Scott. Probably the most underrated player in our team. Plays everywhere

Anchors
- Injury gods can GAGF
- I like Keath but he's no longer a KPD
- I really hope Marra's set shots improve, and fast. Everything else about him is elite, or damn close to it

His holding of the ball as he runs into kick for goal is unorthodox to me. More like a right footer would hold it.

Mantis
19-06-2023, 01:10 PM
His holding of the ball as he runs into kick for goal is unorthodox to me. More like a right footer would hold it.

His run up, or stagger up looks nothing like it does when he kicks it well.

Ozza
19-06-2023, 03:57 PM
His run up, or stagger up looks nothing like it did when he kicks it well.

Yep, some bad habits have crept back in to his set shot routine.

I've seen some footage of the work he did on this in his teens (NGA days), and I think he needs another session or two.

AshMac
19-06-2023, 05:38 PM
Pretty much spot on.

Can only assume this is the 2% of intensity he shows each week

Bumper Bulldogs
25-06-2023, 07:38 PM
Want this a think that Fev fought him. But our club doesn’t seem to value goal kicking or we would invest into it with our program.

We would have won 3 more games with better goal kicking

GVGjr
25-06-2023, 08:39 PM
Want this a think that Fev fought him. But our club doesn’t seem to value goal kicking or we would invest into it with our program.

We would have won 3 more games with better goal kicking

And a couple of teams might say the same in games against us. I doubt it's as straight forward as that.

AshMac
27-06-2023, 09:19 AM
Imagine if he put some of the time from his hair into his kicking.

He was interview in 2021 saying his hard isn?t important and he cuts it himself because it?s easier and doesn?t think about.

Going by that, he treat(ed) his hair exactly the way he treats his footy right now.

In all seriousness - I think he?s reached his ceiling. Such an intense junior who has gone backward in discipline since joining the AFL. He?s worth a fortune still - another year like this one and people will start paying proper attention

Mantis
27-06-2023, 10:28 AM
He was interview in 2021 saying his hard isn?t important and he cuts it himself because it?s easier and doesn?t think about.

Going by that, he treat(ed) his hair exactly the way he treats his footy right now.

In all seriousness - I think he?s reached his ceiling. Such an intense junior who has gone backward in discipline since joining the AFL. He?s worth a fortune still - another year like this one and people will start paying proper attention

I think this comment stinks.

Is probably our hardest trainer and bar one off field indiscretion (and if you think he's a lone wolf on this you're kidding yourself) he's a complete clean-skin.