PDA

View Full Version : Treloar joins exclusive club

bornadog
26-06-2023, 10:17 AM
Link (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1362346/treloar-joins-exclusive-club)

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2023/06/21/d1bc1e49-b138-4411-95de-112446232268/adam-treloar.jpg?width=952&height=592

When Adam Treloar runs out for the Bulldogs against Fremantle after the bye, he will become a member of a very exclusive circle.

For Treloar, it will be his 50th game as a Dog, following his 79 games for GWS and 94 for Collingwood.
As a result, Treloar will become just the fourth player in V/AFL history to play 50 or more matches for three different clubs. And he has club links to the first two footballers to do so.

2023 Season Ave

DISPOSALS 30.1ELITE
TACKLES 4.7 ABOVE AVG.
CENTRE CLEARANCES 2.1 ABOVE AVG.
HANDBALL 18 ELITE

That player was Glenn Coleman. Coleman's VFL career began as a Lion. He played 64 games from 1980 to 1985 before joining the Sydney Swans in 1986. Coleman's four years in Sydney yielded 61 games.

In 1990, the year the VFL became the AFL, Coleman changed clubs again, joining Footscray. In his first season as Bulldog, Coleman made an impact in more ways than one.

Coleman polled nine Brownlow Medal votes that year (teammate Tony Liberatore winning the award with 18), and capped off his excellent season in a most unusual way. In the final game of the season, the man mountain collided with one of the point posts at the Barkly Street end of Whitten Oval, shearing it off at the base!

Hawthorn's 'Lethal' Leigh Matthews is celebrated for snapping a point post halfway up, but Coleman went one better!

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2023/06/21/eca924b6-1082-4227-a462-7cb94ced1342/glenn-coleman.jpg?width=1064&height=600
Glenn Coleman collides with a behind post during the 1990, round 22 match against the Brisbane Bears at Western Oval (Image: Supplied).

Coleman continued to have an impact for the Dogs in more traditional ways, playing two fine seasons in the hoops before injury brought his career to a close in 1993.

In 1992, Coleman was one of the stars in the Bulldogs' Round 11 win against reigning premiers Hawthorn. That match took his Footscray games tally to 50, making him first player to be 50-plus-game for the separate clubs.
Nearly two decades passed before the second of those came along. Leigh Brown kicked off his AFL career with 63 games at Fremantle, 21 in each of his three seasons as a Docker.

Brown became a Kangaroo in 2004, clocking up 118 games with North Melbourne. In 2009, Adam Treloar's second club ? Collingwood ? became Brown's third. The 65 games Brown added to his career tally as a Magpie took in three grand finals (two in 2010) and a premiership.

The exclusive club inducted its third member last year when Brad Hill played his 50th game as a Saint. This followed his 95 games for Hawthorn and 54 as a Fremantle Docker.

Adam Treloar will now join Coleman, Brown and Hill as a '50-50-50' player. With luck Treloar will join Brown in an even more elite category by winning an AFL flag at his third club.

azabob
26-06-2023, 10:26 AM
How good of a player is Adam Treloar? I reckon he is still underrated by our supporters and the media.

It is a shame that he has been somewhat of a journeyman as I tend to think you are not rated as high as you potentially should be.

Would love for Adam to play another 51 games with the dogs as a minimum to get over a 100 games in the red white and blue.

macca
26-06-2023, 10:33 AM
Treloar is the exception to that list , as he has been a highly paid player in this modern era, after he left GWS. Not sure what Hill is on, but I assume his also paid above average

Leigh Brown was delisted at end of 2008.
I thought of considering him a unique eker was highly disrespectful until I saw this games record: 246 GAMES! brackets are the goals
games(goals)
2000–2002 Fremantle 63 (20)
2003–2008 North Melbourne 118 (64)
2009–2011 Collingwood 65 (54)

He was one of the first of the utility journeyman.

hujsh
26-06-2023, 10:51 AM
Treloar is the exception to that list , as he has been a highly paid player in this modern era, after he left GWS. Not sure what Hill is on, but I assume his also paid above average

Leigh Brown was delisted at end of 2008.
I thought of considering him a unique eker was highly disrespectful until I saw this games record: 246 GAMES! brackets are the goals
games(goals)
2000?2002 Fremantle 63 (20)
2003?2008 North Melbourne 118 (64)
2009?2011 Collingwood 65 (54)

He was one of the first of the utility journeyman.

Hill was elite at Freo, no doubt he's on good coin (I assume that contract is still in place)

GVGjr
26-06-2023, 10:56 AM
How good of a player is Adam Treloar? I reckon he is still underrated by our supporters and the media.

It is a shame that he has been somewhat of a journeyman as I tend to think you are not rated as high as you potentially should be.

Would love for Adam to play another 51 games with the dogs as a minimum to get over a 100 games in the red white and blue.

You have to wonder if his friendship with Dunkley has worked against him in the eye of some of our supporters? After seeing him at training sessions I've been impressed with the way he manages himself and his performances in games hasn't disappointed.

I'm really happy that we have him at the club and hopefully he stays fit and healthy for us.

bornadog
26-06-2023, 11:25 AM
You have to wonder if his friendship with Dunkley has worked against him in the eye of some of our supporters? After seeing him at training sessions I've been impressed with the way he manages himself and his performances in games hasn't disappointed.

I'm really happy that we have him at the club and hopefully he stays fit and healthy for us.

He is a true professional the way he trains and conducts himself. Averaging 30 plus per week, he is a vital cog in the machine.

Axe Man
26-06-2023, 11:29 AM

According to the Herald Sun top 100 paid players article yesterday both Hill and Treloar are on $825-$925k, placing them just inside the top 20 in the league.

GVGjr
26-06-2023, 11:35 AM
He is a true professional the way he trains and conducts himself. Averaging 30 plus per week, he is a vital cog in the machine.

Very true. When he kicks a goal on the run it's typically an exciting one.

GVGjr
26-06-2023, 11:39 AM
According to the Herald Sun top 100 paid players article yesterday both Hill and Treloar are on $825-$925k, placing them just inside the top 20 in the league.

I wonder if that is with some of the money that was back ended in his contracted with Collingwood?

Sedat
26-06-2023, 11:46 AM
Galaxy had that "50 games for 3 clubs" stat all to himself for a long time. He is one of the key players responsible for my favourite non 2016 year supporting our club - 1992. His bullocking work across half-forward worked perfectly in tandem with 19yo Chris Grant, and Del Re deep forward kicking 70 goals that season in our forward line was the cherry on top.

Treloar has been a very good player for us - I hope he can help us push for a premiership while he is still at the peak of his powers as a player. He very nearly helped us get there in 2021.

azabob
26-06-2023, 11:55 AM
Galaxy had that "50 games for 3 clubs" stat all to himself for a long time. He is one of the key players responsible for my favourite non 2016 year supporting our club - 1992. His bullocking work across half-forward worked perfectly in tandem with 19yo Chris Grant, and Del Re deep forward kicking 70 goals that season our forward line was the cherry on top.

Treloar has been a very good player for us - I hope he can help us push for a premiership while he is still at the peak of his powers as a player. He very nealry helped us get there in 2021.

I've often pondered how good would an English and Coleman double act be.

The support he would also give Naughton and JUH would be insane.

azabob
26-06-2023, 11:57 AM

That is a really good observation and I reckon is on the money big time.

I can see why Treloar and Dunkley became so close around their love of American sports and how professional they both were off field.

Mofra
26-06-2023, 12:13 PM
He was on a reported $600k pa, with Collingwood paying $300k pa in owed money on top of that.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-06-2023, 01:14 PM
Still a favourite of mine.

No better sight than Treloar running at goal.

Hope he can play well into his 30s.

1eyedog
26-06-2023, 02:26 PM
The eker journeyman trophy definitely goes to Dale Kickett who played for 5 clubs. I can't think of another player who played for more (Fitzroy, West Coast, St.Kilda, Fremantle and Essendon).

hujsh
26-06-2023, 02:55 PM
That is a really good observation and I reckon is on the money big time.

I can see why Treloar and Dunkley became so close around their love of American sports and how professional they both were off field.

That, a perception he's overpaid and probably him still talking about how much he loves Collingwood a year after he was tossed out seemed to all contribute.

He's a very good player though can't complain about having him and 600k a year is a great price given his output (though injury probably evens things out a bit)

Sedat
26-06-2023, 02:57 PM
The eker journeyman trophy definitely goes to Dale Kickett who played for 5 clubs. I can't think of another player who played for more (Fitzroy, West Coast, St.Kilda, Fremantle and Essendon).
Kevin Caton played for 3 clubs and only notched up 18 games. Probably as impressive a "multi-club eker to minimal games played" ratio as there has ever been. He even managed a SOO game for WA and won a flag with Swan Districts in the WAFL - batshit crazy career.

Big Tom with 3 clubs and 56 games across 12 consecutive years (and counting) is bonafide eker royalty.

azabob
26-06-2023, 03:15 PM
Kevin Caton played for 3 clubs and only notched up 18 games. Probably as impressive a "multi-club eker to minimal games played" ratio as there has ever been. He even managed a SOO game for WA and won a flag with Swan Districts in the WAFL - batshit crazy career.

Big Tom with 3 clubs and 56 games across 12 consecutive years (and counting) is bonafide eker royalty.

If it ain't on the official RJ eker thread it don't count...

EasternWest
26-06-2023, 03:28 PM
If it ain't on the official RJ eker thread it don't count...

At least that's a real thread.

josie
26-06-2023, 03:38 PM
Agree with sentiments that he is a thorough professional at training and during matches etc. I call him silk as he a notch above most in our team and is unselfish/a real team player.

I too hope he plays a lot more with us and reached 100 games.

Hasn?t kicked too many goals on the run recently- I wonder if he is protecting his hamstrings or perhaps he is just playing the team game attempting to give off to another player in a better position.

I didn?t realise how good he was in close, worth watching with binoculars to see just how good he is. One of my current faves.

1eyedog
26-06-2023, 03:55 PM

Certain starter that is impressive. One of our own, Stuart Wigney, played at 4 clubs for 72 games. Decent effort.

josie
26-06-2023, 09:39 PM
Certain starter that is impressive. One of our own, Stuart Wigney, played at 4 clubs for 72 games. Decent effort.

What decade did he l play?

jazzadogs
26-06-2023, 10:13 PM
Only 40 odd more games for Lobb to join the club.

bornadog
26-06-2023, 10:30 PM

1988?1991 - Footscray 47
1992 - Sydney 1
1993?1994 - Adelaide 10
1995?1996 Richmond 14

D Mitchell
26-06-2023, 10:58 PM
That, a perception he's overpaid and probably him still talking about how much he loves Collingwood a year after he was tossed out seemed to all contribute.

He's a very good player though can't complain about having him and 600k a year is a great price given his output (though injury probably evens things out a bit)

A bit better than "very good". His ability to put space between himself and pursuers reminds me a bit, just a bit, of Cooney. Another couple of seasons, playing finals, and young speedster Treloars join the long line.

1eyedog
27-06-2023, 12:50 AM
Treloar's a gun. So underrated.

1eyedog
27-06-2023, 12:51 AM

Mid 80s early 90s I reckon.

D Mitchell
27-06-2023, 12:57 AM
Mid 80s early 90s I reckon.

Which Century ?

1eyedog
27-06-2023, 03:48 PM
Which Century ?

Huh?

kruder
01-07-2023, 12:34 AM
Yep those Hammy's are holding him back he rarely lets go, yet he has still managed to be a very effective player of us.