PDA

View Full Version : Since teams are ZERO-8 coming off the bye...

mjp
27-06-2023, 09:59 AM
...should I just not put myself through it this weekend.

ZERO wins, 8 losses with bye teams playing against teams who played the week before.

Maybe we just forfeit the game and close WOOF down for a few days huh??? No point flogging a dead horse.

bornadog
27-06-2023, 10:01 AM
Records are there to be broken

Mantis
27-06-2023, 10:32 AM
So we come out as flat as pancake and the bulk of the 15K crowd are gone by 3/4 time?

Works for me as it allows for more space on the hallowed turf for the rare opportunity for some kick to kick after the 2nd siren.

1eyedog
27-06-2023, 11:49 AM

ZERO wins, 8 losses with bye teams playing against teams who played the week before.

Maybe we just forfeit the game and close WOOF down for a few days huh??? No point flogging a dead horse.

Moot post you know you will.

I worry that footy is such a highly strung industry for the players that as soon as they get some separation or downtime from the intensity of it they just checkout mentally and emotionally. Seems a task for the coaching staff to get them to re-integrate.

Kinda like school kids after holidays. Many of them are kids.

mjp
27-06-2023, 12:01 PM
Moot post you know you will.

ZERO-8?

Do I want to watch us lose to the team my wife supports? With her in the room being a peanut?

Yeah....not really.

Seriously considering other weekend activities and focussing on watching a replay should we win.

Bulldog Joe
27-06-2023, 01:20 PM
ZERO-8?

Do I want to watch us lose to the team my wife supports? With her in the room being a peanut?

Yeah....not really.

Seriously considering other weekend activities and focussing on watching a replay should we win.

For your situation that sounds like the best option.

Personally I will be at the game as I have been for all our losses in Melbourne.

Mantis
27-06-2023, 01:26 PM
For your situation that sounds like the best option.

Personally I will be at the game as I have been for all our losses in Melbourne.

Have you seen a win? If not, please follow mjp's lead and find something else to do on Saturday. ;)

EasternWest
27-06-2023, 01:32 PM
No point flogging a dead horse.

Are you new here?

chef
27-06-2023, 01:34 PM

Hmm, wish I had of known this before purchasing tickets.

ledge
27-06-2023, 03:43 PM
Let?s look at it properly though , only two were upsets. That?s around the norm every week .Also our game could go either way due to injuries in our backline.
I?m not sure the bye is having any say on results.

1eyedog
27-06-2023, 03:57 PM
ZERO-8?

Yeah....not really.

Yeah that's a raw hand but if it's any consolation middle of the road teams really should beat Freo on the road and there's no better middle of the road team than us.

Also, where has all the optimism gone? :D

Mantis
27-06-2023, 04:04 PM
Let?s look at it properly though , only two were upsets. That?s around the norm every week .Also our game could go either way due to injuries in our backline.
I?m not sure the bye is having any say on results.

Based on form if you had suggested that Carl would beat GC and GWS would beat Freo by the best part of 70pts based on form you would have received some strange looks.

It's been clear that the teams coming off the bye have looked lethargic and have been smoked in several key indicators (clearances, contested possessions)... the challenge is that we ''come to play''.

ledge
27-06-2023, 06:01 PM
Based on form if you had suggested that Carl would beat GC and GWS would beat Freo by the best part of 70pts based on form you would have received some strange looks.

It's been clear that the teams coming off the bye have looked lethargic and have been smoked in several key indicators (clearances, contested possessions)... the challenge is that we ''come to play''.

Both freo and GC played away and they are both very vulnerable away .
I think it’s been blown up by the media.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
27-06-2023, 06:05 PM
I’ve been looking forward to a Saturday afternoon game

Bulldog Joe
27-06-2023, 06:07 PM
Have you seen a win? If not, please follow mjp's lead and find something else to do on Saturday. ;)

I have actually attended a few wins.
Hawthorn, Giants, Carlton and North Melbourne.

Currently running 50/50.

Need this one to get in the positive.

Bumper Bulldogs
27-06-2023, 06:30 PM
I have actually attended a few wins.
Hawthorn, Giants, Carlton and North Melbourne.

Currently running 50/50.

Need this one to get in the positive.

And you will get it. No way we lose this. Bulldogs with back to the wall coke out snarling

Bulldog Joe
27-06-2023, 06:35 PM
Further analysis on the bye phenomema

2 sides have actually lost at home against an interstate side. That was Sydney against St Kilda and Richmond over Freo. Both results were Round 13. St Kilda is the only side to win interstate after the bye.

The Freo loss was the upset.

Freo then lost again (Rd 14) to GWS. - Perhaps they thought they were on an extended bye, but they recovered to beat Essendon (off the bye)

Losses for Brisbane, Geelong, Gold Coast, Adelaide, Essendon, Hawthorn and West Coast (Do WC actually count) were all interstate games and Melbourne were at Geelong which is actually worse than travelling interstate.

Sydney, Freo and Collingwood are the only teams scheduled to play an interstate team at home coming off their own bye so far.

This week we get to play an interstater as does Essendon.

AFL clearly looking for upsets scheduling 13 of 18 to play out of there zone off their bye.

Flamethrower
27-06-2023, 06:37 PM

No surprise at all that Gold Coast got smashed off the park - young non-Victorian sides get overawed by the size and the history when they run out onto the MCG. Look at Brisbane's record there - they are a much better team than the Suns.

It's a 2nd home ground for the Blues too.

0 & 8 off the bye will only be a problem if we are mentally and physically weak enough to let it be.

EasternWest
27-06-2023, 07:55 PM
And you will get it. No way we lose this. Bulldogs with back to the wall coke out snarling

Did you have to mention the tennis balls?

Grantysghost
27-06-2023, 08:10 PM
Did you have to mention the tennis balls?

That was ket.

Go_Dogs
27-06-2023, 08:42 PM
This is a joyous post to contemplate.

Will be going along and haven’t been to many games this year, so looking forward to a big win!

Mantis
28-06-2023, 09:48 AM
No surprise at all that Gold Coast got smashed off the park - young non-Victorian sides get overawed by the size and the history when they run out onto the MCG. Look at Brisbane's record there - they are a much better team than the Suns.

It's a 2nd home ground for the Blues too.

0 & 8 off the bye will only be a problem if we are mentally and physically weak enough to let it be.

Whilst the team GC fielded was younger than Carlton's team they were slightly more experienced in terms of average games played so I don't buy this claim.

The fact that Carlton had lost their 6 previous games, whilst GC had won their previous 2 against well performed teams in us & Adel needs to be taken into consideration.

Anyway, as we've both stated we need to play with the commitment required to compete at this level... if we get that right we should be ok.

mjp
28-06-2023, 10:12 AM
The fact that Carlton had lost their 6 previous games, whilst GC had won their previous 2 against well performed teams in us & Adel needs to be taken into consideration.

They won those games IN DARWIN though.

Very different environment for US (coming off Ballarat) and Adelaide (coming off Ballarat AND Adelaide in winter).

Sides coming off the bye is 100% a thing and yet another inequity in the AFL fixture.

Winning this week is going to be a massive challenge.

1eyedog
28-06-2023, 11:04 AM

I'm always snarling on Charlie.

GVGjr
28-06-2023, 11:10 AM
It's something to plan for but there is no logical reason why a rest would soften the team. It's up to the coaches to get on top of.

MrMahatma
28-06-2023, 12:31 PM
It's a flip of the coin. I'd say more because our key defensive posts are a lottery than the bye effect.

We'll probably win by 10 goals.

bulldogtragic
29-06-2023, 07:24 PM
0-9 for sure. Lock it in. Lost at the selection table.

JanLorMill
29-06-2023, 07:29 PM
What is it? Naughton still as a forward. I’m a very wary of a backline with Keath Gardner and JOD at this stage of their careers

mjp
29-06-2023, 08:07 PM

To be fair, the 0-9 game is tonight. So we could win and you might still be right. Smart.

mjp
29-06-2023, 09:08 PM
LOL - 7.6 to 1.3 just 5 mins into the 2nd.

This coming off the bye thing is 100% real.

EasternWest
29-06-2023, 09:15 PM

Can't say you didn't call it and now I'm concerned.

bornadog
29-06-2023, 09:17 PM

or Richmond are rubbish

GVGjr
29-06-2023, 09:25 PM

It's a coincidence, nothing more. There is no logical reason for it.

mjp
29-06-2023, 09:30 PM
or Richmond are rubbish

Well, They were good enough to win 3 in a row before the bye...

bulldogtragic
29-06-2023, 09:32 PM

Three coincidences in a row!

Grantysghost
29-06-2023, 09:33 PM

How does anyone win the GF!?

GVGjr
29-06-2023, 09:46 PM
Brisbane are an impressive team on their own dung heap.
It's a great game for excuses.
I can recall when it was 6 day breaks and I remember when after most losses some would post the age and experience profile now it's byes. Basically we are saying you should never rest players.

Grantysghost
29-06-2023, 09:48 PM
Brisbane are an impressive team on their own dung heap.
It's a great game for excuses.
I can recall when it was 6 day breaks and I remember when after most losses some would post the age and experience profile now it's byes. Basically we are saying you should never rest players.

No one in their right mind tips the Tigers tonight.

GVGjr
29-06-2023, 10:06 PM
No one in their right mind tips the Tigers tonight.

I didn't expect this level of a flogging though
I'm not conceeding bye bye baby for our game against Freo especially at Marvel. :)

bornadog
29-06-2023, 10:08 PM
I didn't expect this level of a flogging though
I'm not conceeding bye bye baby for our game against Freo especially at Marvel. :)

I am very confident on Saturday

Bulldog Joe
29-06-2023, 10:13 PM
I am very confident on Saturday

I am no longer confident in anything this team might produce.
However I am always hopeful.

bulldogtragic
29-06-2023, 10:20 PM
I am no longer confident in anything this team might produce.
However I am always hopeful.

This. I want 20+ wins a year. I’ll take high teens. But I don’t completely trust this side.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-06-2023, 10:50 PM
Changing my tip for saturdays game