PDA

View Full Version : East West Club Event

GVGjr
06-07-2023, 04:45 PM
All,

Tickets are still available for what is a fabulous night

EAST WEST BULLDOGS 40TH ANNIVERSARY DINNER UPDATE-
We are soo excited to announce that along with our previously advised awesome special guests, our coach extraordinaire the one and only Luke Beveridge will be attending our special night.
If that wasn't enough, our raffle first prize is.....the biggest prize we have ever been able to offer in our 40 year history..... is.....wait for it..... x2 tickets to the 2023 Charles Sutton Medal!!!! These tickets are worth in excess of $500.00.
Make sure you book your tickets now!!!!
Please share to any Bulldogs supporter that you know.
Event Details- Tuesday July 18th 2023
6.30 pm for a 7pm start
Mulgrave Country Club
$80 per head for EastWest Members
$85 per head for non-members
We hope to see you on the night.

EasternWest
06-07-2023, 07:25 PM
That's actually pretty good value and fair pricing.

GVGjr
06-07-2023, 09:36 PM
That's actually pretty good value and fair pricing.

It's sensational. From memory it's a 3 course meal.
And you have Bevo there.

Grantysghost
06-07-2023, 09:40 PM
Nice that's the day after the Player Sponsors Dinner.

G is going to be all Bulldog-ed out.

GVGjr
18-07-2023, 07:48 PM
It hasn't quite started yet but it looks like 15 tables of 8.
Marc Webb is here. KWW, Simon Beasley, Clay Smith, Sue Alberti and hopefully few more will arrive.

GVGjr
18-07-2023, 09:24 PM
Webb just talked and was very accomplished and I'm fortunate to be sitting in the same table with Simon Beasley. Grantyghost has instructed me to ask him about the missed goal at Cararra where those bad news bears were sitting on their team mates shoulders.

The Doctor
18-07-2023, 09:40 PM
Webb just talked and was very accomplished and I'm fortunate to be sitting in the same table with Simon Beasley. Grantyghost has instructed me to ask him about the missed goal at Cararra where those bad news bears were sitting on their team mates shoulders.

Ask him if he is proud to have the WOOF Buster Beaser goal kicking award named after him!

EasternWest
18-07-2023, 09:48 PM
Ask him if he is proud to have the WOOF Buster Beaser goal kicking award named after him!

Would have thought it was the pinnacle of his football achievements.

GVGjr
18-07-2023, 10:01 PM
Zimmerman is really cracking the audience up.

GVGjr
19-07-2023, 12:19 AM
Pretty good night at the Mulgrave Country Club. I feel I have to say Shankyou to the venue for the brilliant meals. Veg soup, Lamb Shank and a killer choco cake.
Hosted by Kevin Hillier this was the 40th Anniversary of the East West Club.

Not the star studded line-up as we've come to enjoy over the years but getting to sit with Simon Beasley, having a quick chat with Sue Alberti and sitting near a wonderful 85yo guy called Mick and his wife made for a very enjoyable night.
Mick's been a member of the club since 1969 who also happened to arrive in Australia as a 10 pound Pom.

Kylie W-W was first up and gave an overview on the memberships and how all the construction work at the ground was going.
Very complimentary of Ameet and the team that's been assembled.

Marc Webb did a good presentation on his role as a stoppages coach and opposition analysis. He said Bevo was very stats driven with his planning and if you have ideas on how we should be setting up or changing things you need to have some stats that support it.
He does a lot of 1 on 1 work with Bevo and then both of them start working with the line coaches. He also has some midfielders he talks to as part of the stoppages work and set-up and that is in conjunction with Brendan Lade.
He talked about the planning for this weeks game with Essendon and talked about the lessons learned from the way Geelong matched up with them and how that worked.
I've heard some speculation that Webb will head back to WA at the end of the season but I hope we keep him.

Clay Smith and Simon Beasley were interviewed and Clay talked about all the work he does as a coach for Point Cook and his plans with boxing and Simon talked about how he would have loved to play at Marvel in the pristine conditions. Hillier said that Malthouse would never have been able to drop him due to conditions if Marvel had been around and Beasley snapped back that I kicked 6 the following week so I shut him up.
He's still into his horses and goes for long walks 3 or 4 times a week. He's not a fan of how forwards do all the tricky shots for goal from 30mtrs out.

Bonus stuff is a bit boring but Granty insisted (insisted or politely asked same same) I ask him about his goal attempt at Carrara Oval all those years ago against the Bears and he said despite all the distractions he thought he would nail it. It certainly doesn't haunt him. I let him know we have a weekly goal kicking summary named in his honor (Thanks Doc) and he had a good chuckle about that.

Club Doctor Gary Zimmerman who been with the club since I think 96 and club surgeon David Young were highly entertaining.
Hillier asked about the worst injury first up and Zimmerman replied with catching his foreskin in his zipper. Ouch
I think they called him Doc Zipperman after that. He talked about his mustache saying that Dipper used to come and talk to him as part of his boundary riders role and say you have a better mustache than I have but I make more money with mine. He also talked about how on an overseas trip/junket when we were pitted against the Saints a slightly drunk Chris Grant threatened to get a few players to hold Zimmerman down and cut his mo. Zimmers replied that he wouldn't try and fight back but he cautioned Grant that every needle he would have from then on would be a blunt one. Grant decided to let it go.

They talked about ACL injuries and some of the worst injuries they seen and Young was highly complimentary about the work Zimmerman does. They talked about how they had 5 ACL's one year and the club spent 20K bringing in an expert to explore the reasons why this was occurring only to find out the review determined it was just bad luck. They talked at length about the soft cap cutback and how the competition was losing good coaches.

Zimmerman provided an in depth and informative summary about the concussion protocols and gave an overview on how they assessed Lachie McNeil. The Doctors and Physio are constantly looking at delayed vision for contact and they knew straight away that JOD had concussion but O'Neil only showed symptoms after the game. They have an app that helps them determine concussions.

They did a roving microphone and brought Sue Alberti into the conversation about the injuries the AFLW players were experiencing.
I won't go into all the details but it was a very good discussion.
Zimmerman talked about how some young players on the pathway were playing too much footy with their school, club and state.
Talked about how they needed to manage Baz Smith when he arrived as he couldn't switch off.

I think I've crapped on too much about our medical staff but I could go on.

Finally Gavin Dore was up. Dore umpired over 300 games and one of his sons is umpiring in the AFL.
Dore was fantastic with his views on umpiring and footy. He's still umpiring at the under 19 level.

I feel I say this every year but if you have ever thought of attending this function it's a terrific night and for $85 I think it represents great value.

Grantysghost
19-07-2023, 08:11 AM
Shankyou? You stealing my material now?

Thanks for the great write up G. Sounds like an epic night.

GVGjr
19-07-2023, 09:42 AM
Some bonus information:

The Docs talked about how it's a nine month recovery program from ACL and that rights across all the clubs now so there are no Docs trying to do it quicker. They then discussed the miracle that was Tony Liberatore who recovered from his knee injury in just 4 months.
Zimmerman went on to say that Tony is still playing football and outside of the one covid year he's pretty much played since he retired from the AFL.

Dore mentioned that at the age of something like 32 he was finding the running required to umpire the game was too demanding when all of a sudden the AFL started suggesting they bring in 3 umpires and that move extended his career. Mind you the initial plan was split the money the two umpires were getting across the 3 of them.

bornadog
19-07-2023, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the updates, sounds like a good night.

Axe Man
19-07-2023, 10:29 AM
Shankyou? You stealing my material now?

Thanks for the great write up G. Sounds like an epic night.

Sounds like a prison greeting.

Axe Man
19-07-2023, 10:32 AM
Zimmerman went on to say that Tony is still playing football and outside of the one covid year he's pretty much played since he retired from the AFL.

Tony plays for the Northside Lions, they played our over 50s on the weekend.

I believe he usually coaches one of the Victorian teams in the national masters carnival as well.

GVGjr
19-07-2023, 10:35 AM
Tony plays for the Northside Lions, they played our over 50s on the weekend.

I believe he usually coaches one of the Victorian teams in the national masters carnival as well.

Yes, they mentioned he's still a player and a coach.

Eastdog
19-07-2023, 02:18 PM
Thanks GVGjr for the report.

Sounds like a very good night.

Funke disco
19-07-2023, 10:10 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience. Sounds like a great night

GVGjr
13-05-2024, 04:31 PM
So the East West night 2024 is on Monday 27th of May.

2024 Legends & Young Guns Dinner
The East-West Bulldogs, a supporter group of the Western Bulldogs in Melbourne’s east and
south-eastern suburbs, is pleased to invite you to our 2024 Legends & Young Guns Dinner to
help us celebrate supporting the mighty Western Bulldogs.
We will have Club Representatives and several past legends as our special guests as well as
some current Young Guns from the playing group.
When: Monday 27th May 2024 6.30 pm for a 7:00 pm start.
Where: The Mulgrave Country Club, corner Jells and Wellington Roads, Mulgrave.
A two-course meal will be provided at the following prices:
East West Club members: $80 Non-members: $85 Children under 12: $40
Drinks are available at bar prices. Dress code: Smart Casual.
Legends, Young Guns and Club Representatives to be advised and are subject to change

I believe they are hoping that both Bevo and Lade will be there this year and a couple of the younger players.
It's just dawned on me that there is a real Tassie theme with Past players and this may include Paul Hudson, Matthew Mansfield and Simon Minton-Connell.

Contact me if you want the number to call to reserve your spot.

ledge
13-05-2024, 08:33 PM
So the East West night 2024 is on Monday 27th of May.

2024 Legends & Young Guns Dinner
The East-West Bulldogs, a supporter group of the Western Bulldogs in Melbourne’s east and
south-eastern suburbs, is pleased to invite you to our 2024 Legends & Young Guns Dinner to
help us celebrate supporting the mighty Western Bulldogs.
We will have Club Representatives and several past legends as our special guests as well as
some current Young Guns from the playing group.
When: Monday 27th May 2024 6.30 pm for a 7:00 pm start.
Where: The Mulgrave Country Club, corner Jells and Wellington Roads, Mulgrave.
A two-course meal will be provided at the following prices:
East West Club members: $80 Non-members: $85 Children under 12: $40
Drinks are available at bar prices. Dress code: Smart Casual.
Legends, Young Guns and Club Representatives to be advised and are subject to change

I believe they are hoping that both Bevo and Lade will be there this year and a couple of the younger players.
It's just dawned on me that there is a real Tassie theme with Past players and this may include Paul Hudson, Matthew Mansfield and Simon Minton-Connell.

Contact me if you want the number to call to reserve your spot.

No atkins ?

azabob
13-05-2024, 08:40 PM
No atkins ?

Paul is busy.

ledge
13-05-2024, 08:43 PM
Paul is busy.

Simon must be still at the pub with his belongings out the front.

GVGjr
27-05-2024, 07:39 PM
Small crowd tonight, probably only 100 will be in the room
Hudson and Mansfield as ex players
Sanders, Coffield, Khamis and Poulter and Harmes was a late scratching.
Bevo and Lade are here as well.

GVGjr
27-05-2024, 07:47 PM
Looks like Sanders will be on my table

GVGjr
28-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Another good night organised by the hard working East West club and hosted by Ken Hillier.

First up was Beveridge and Lade and Hillier asked a number of varied questions
- Bevo talked about how he was in a coaching group that included Ange Postecoglou and that they had struck up a friendship and that Ange had visited the club. This group tends to catch up every 4 to 6 weeks.
- Bont is in a leadership group that includes Pat Cummins so clearly the club is investing in the leadership and personal development of the leaders.
- Lade chimed in that they do a lot of comparisons between the two codes on aspects like efforts where soccer has 80 in a game our football around 40. The factor in aspects like it being on a smaller surface and the players generally being smaller in size etc.
It was a good discussion
- Bevo then talked about injury management and attrition and praised Collingwood for the way they handled it last season. He noted they have more injuries challenges for Fridays game than we do
- Bevo talked about the Sydney game and how given that we lost 3 players during the game but were still with a chance of winning was something that they were hoping they could build from. It was a sign that the list is fit and their attitude to fight the game out was there.
- Lade talked about the meetings and education the players received and even though they had a lot of one-on-one meetings a lot of times some of the on field leaders (Bont, Libba and Treloar etc) will sit in on those meetings with a twofold effect being they could offer some advice and to the player but also understand what the coaches are asking the players to do. As an example on Monday Bont had sat in on Lades meeting with Sanders.
- Bevo talked about the investment in KPP in recent drafts and that it just takes some extra time for the bigger boys.
- Hillier questioned Bevo about being under the pump and Bevo was quite content with it saying it comes with the territory. He mentioned about the need to be resilient and united and that he felt he was getting the right level of support from the club.
- Bevo talked about of the messaging through those challenging times needs to be consistent and how even with an agitated supporter base at times he will never throw players under the bus.
- Bevo talked about how he, Lade and the other coaches had started planning for the game against Collingwood but also talked about his relationship with Lade and Lade's journey towards becoming a senior club. He added that it could be with us. He also talked about Pratt, Spangher and the development coaches and that after 10 years in the job he's gotten better at allowing the coaching team run a lot of the training sessions etc.
It was a calm and an informative discussion and clearly both and Lade are on the same page.

The players were up next
Sanders and Khamis then Poulter and Coffield
Then the past players in Hudson and Mansfield

I forgot to mention that Bevo talked about the facilities and how the 2 lane swimming pool and 18 player spa and sauna were operational now in our aquatic centre
He also talked about the work being done with our AFLW team and how Toby McLean has been down helping out as well

I'll add that information a bit later

ledge
28-05-2024, 11:45 AM
Was any of this stuff done last year with meetings ?
I am wondering what changes were made since the review, we know about Egan but did it include deeper professionalism with the players ?
The soccer connection etc ?
Is there any obvious difference inside the “four walls “ as they say.

bornadog
28-05-2024, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the update, sounds like a good night.

The East/West club should consider having the venue a bit closer to CBD than Wheelers Hill, which is a bit of a trek.

soupman
28-05-2024, 12:01 PM

The East/West club should consider having the venue a bit closer to CBD than Wheelers Hill, which is a bit of a trek.

Not if you live in the East.

EasternWest
28-05-2024, 12:21 PM

Wut?

Grantysghost
28-05-2024, 12:33 PM

Wheelers is pretty central to a lot of people in the east.
Good spot.

Eastdog
28-05-2024, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the report GVGjr.

Sounds like it was a good night.

bornadog
28-05-2024, 12:51 PM

Wut?

Wheelers is pretty central to a lot of people in the east.
Good spot.

Central, are you joking. It is 25k from the city. I am talking somewhere like Oakleigh, or Burwood

Grantysghost
28-05-2024, 01:04 PM
Central, are you joking. It is 25k from the city. I am talking somewhere like Oakleigh, or Burwood
Ive worked out there for 25 years.

Lots of people come from the other side of Wheeler's now. Berwick those places.

hujsh
28-05-2024, 01:04 PM

But I think the point is that for a lot of Dogs fans who live out East (oh god that's me now), it'd be further to travel if the event if closer to the CBD, rather than being easier to get to. Unless you're monied up or renting or living in a townhouse you're probably way out in Pakenham or Frankston

EasternWest
28-05-2024, 01:12 PM

Oakleigh and Burwood are basically neighbouring suburbs to Wheeler's Hill.

I don't see the point you're making at all.

GVGjr
28-05-2024, 01:43 PM
They apparently get a good deal from the Mulgrave Country Club and the catering, stage and dedicated facilities with plenty of parking that help make for a good night. There are also a couple of highways near by so not that hard to get to for so many people.

GVGjr
28-05-2024, 01:47 PM

It took me 15 minutes from Burwood so anyone coming via one of the freeways would easily halve that time

jazzadogs
28-05-2024, 01:54 PM

I would have thought the whole point is that it's accessible to supporters in the east....

I attended last year and was disappointed at the late withdrawal of Bevo, and from memory the current players as well. Life is busier this year, but I probably wouldn't have attended anyway based on my experience last year.

The function last night sounds like an excellent evening and I will definitely consider attending next year.

bornadog
28-05-2024, 01:57 PM
I would have thought the whole point is that it's accessible to supporters in the east....

I attended last year and was disappointed at the late withdrawal of Bevo, and from memory the current players as well. Life is busier this year, but I probably wouldn't have attended anyway based on my experience last year.

The function last night sounds like an excellent evening and I will definitely consider attending next year.

I am sure it is a great function. I am not starting a debate on it, I was just suggesting to get more people, maybe they find the venue a bit far. 100 people is very low.

EasternWest
28-05-2024, 02:08 PM
I am sure it is a great function. I am not starting a debate on it

Disappointing. Nets.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-05-2024, 03:15 PM
But I think the point is that for a lot of Dogs fans who live out East (oh god that's me now), it'd be further to travel if the event if closer to the CBD, rather than being easier to get to. Unless you're monied up or renting or living in a townhouse you're probably way out in Pakenham or Frankston

Yeah you have to be monied up to live in wheelers hill these days. 25km from the city is a dream for people 50km+ away on the city's fringes in berwick and Frankston. Plus the country club is directly off the Wellington road exit of the Monash. Very convenient for a lot of ppl.

Any time I hear ppl mention wheelers hill is ages away from the city I just have to laugh.....the inner city elite are out of touch.

GVGjr
28-05-2024, 03:52 PM
Part 2

The Players

First up was Khamis and Sanders.
- Khamis was full of praise with the assistance and guidance he has been getting from Pratt and mentioned him a few times.
He talked about the need to being stronger in a contest and more aggressive with his marking especially when under fatigue. You have to push through.
- Needs to keep working hard at Footscray but gets constant feedback on what he needs to focus on.
- Talked about his journey as footballer and how he arrived on the playing list. Talked about how Dale Morris would pick him up for training and some of the things he learned from Dale and finally talked about some extra work he does with the Community foundation.

- Sanders talked about the communication he receives what he needs to work on when at Footscray. Mentioned the clarity he receives from Lade, Bevo and Maddocks plus the work the development coaches do with him.
- In his draft year he had trained with both North and Collingwood so had a good understanding of what the professional environment would be like.
- Said that he struggled a bit with the work load prior to Xmas and was constantly tiered but freshened up over the break and with more match sim type training through January and February started managing it better.
- Was sharing a place with Darcy and Cleary when he arrived but Prismall presented him an opportunity to move in with Mitch Hannan and that was working out very well. You could tell he was was very appreciative of the guidance he receives from Hannan and it's now only a 10 minute drive to the Whitten Oval.
- In the junior football it was often the case of see ball get ball but it's so much more technical with a greater emphasis of running patterns and staying relevant even when you don't have the footy.
- Plays a bit of golf in his time away from the club but isn't that much of a Golf head. Khamis chipped in and shared that he (Khamis) is poor at golf and even does the occasional swing and miss.

Next up were Poulter and Coffield
- Poulter talked about his aim of getting 1% better every time he gets to training and how he is focused on improving his contested marking and strength in ground ball contests.
- Explained a bit of the role of a winger and how you need to help out in other ways when the ball is stuck on the other side of the ground.

- Coffield was of course asked about his injuries and shared that he has a bit of a calf injury to work though now after injuring it up in Sydney. He talked a bit about how he and his father drove up in 2016 for the game against GWS and then the GF experience as a Doggies supporter.
- Talked about how hard it's been over the last couple of years with injuries but with the work done on his shoulder there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Seems to love being at the club.

Hudson and Mansfield were up next.
- Hudson talked about his playing days at the Hawks and Dogs and how he done a lot of coaching since.
- Talked about what it was like growing up as the some of one of the greatest forwards and as a side not he really does look like his father. Over the years he had his father attended some training sessions at some of the clubs he coached at.
Hudson is a really funny and charismatic bloke and nailed about 3 Tassie jokes off at the start of interview and dared anyone to shock him as he's heard them all. Said that people were either from Slowbart or Inceston.
- The big thing he focused on was Tasmania's journey to the AFL and the pride that he had wearing their jumper when they knocked over Vics in a game.

- Mansfield talked about all the injuries he had and to be honest it was a lot more than I ever knew. He's a real character and seems to be doing really well with a business in Tas and a farm here in Victoria.
- He talked about all his coaching and how in one coaching stint he would have to go to the local TAB to find the president and hopefully get his money providing it wasn't gambled away.
- While he never said it outright he mentioned that perhaps having Steve MacPherson as his manager might have cost him a return to the AFL. I think it was Adelaide who indicated they were going to draft him at pick 8 but then overlooked him at the last minute.
- Mansfield is an impressive guy with good stories to tell. He couldn't believe that it's taken the AFL so long to put a team in stating that GWS and GC where just preferred because the AFL was in a who's got the bigger one contest with the NRL.

Some other notes:
Bevo worked the room and must have connected with half of the audience. Especially pleasing was the way he went over and spent a good 5 to 10 minutes with a Doggies supporter in one of those big wheelchair/bed combinations before the function started. Had his arm around her and really connected with her. He's a good bloke.

Sanders at the table was fantastic, we talked about training, his parents and how they attended the games etc. He's loving the journey of being an AFL footballer and seems ready to learn. Tuesday was a day off but he would go in early for a massage and try and catch-up with some friends for lunch although he would be waiting on a delivery from Harvey Norman.

The East West club ran some raffles and announced that once again they were making a donation to the club.

All in all it was a good night.

GVGjr
28-05-2024, 04:04 PM
I am sure it is a great function. I am not starting a debate on it, I was just suggesting to get more people, maybe they find the venue a bit far. 100 people is very low.

It's certainly well down in previous years and I seem to recall something like 22 or 25 tables of 8 at it's peak.

There appears to be some challenges that have impacted attendances:
When Bevo arrived they basically lost the East meets West training day at Wesley college and getting access to players was harder
The would get around 200 people there just at the training let alone a couple of other functions.
They tried having a function at the club once but that didn't work that well.
They used to have massive auctions of club memorabilia that would raise a lot of money
Covid hit and slowed it down. Access to the players might be significantly harder now.
The draw being released in two phases means it's being push into the middle of the season which probably isn't ideal for getting people to attend.

There are a few other things as well but I don't think moving venues will sharpen attendance because it might also push up the cost of hosting the night.

Grantysghost
28-05-2024, 04:06 PM
Part 2

The Players

First up was Khamis and Sanders.
- Khamis was full of praise with the assistance and guidance he has been getting from Pratt and mentioned him a few times.
He talked about the need to being stronger in a contest and more aggressive with his marking especially when under fatigue. You have to push through.
- Needs to keep working hard at Footscray but gets constant feedback on what he needs to focus on.
- Talked about his journey as footballer and how he arrived on the playing list. Talked about how Dale Morris would pick him up for training and some of the things he learned from Dale and finally talked about some extra work he does with the Community foundation.

- Sanders talked about the communication he receives what he needs to work on when at Footscray. Mentioned the clarity he receives from Lade, Bevo and Maddocks plus the work the development coaches do with him.
- In his draft year he had trained with both North and Collingwood so had a good understanding of what the professional environment would be like.
- Said that he struggled a bit with the work load prior to Xmas and was constantly tiered but freshened up over the break and with more match sim type training through January and February started managing it better.
- Was sharing a place with Darcy and Cleary when he arrived but Prismall presented him an opportunity to move in with Mitch Hannan and that was working out very well. You could tell he was was very appreciative of the guidance he receives from Hannan and it's now only a 10 minute drive to the Whitten Oval.
- In the junior football it was often the case of see ball get ball but it's so much more technical with a greater emphasis of running patterns and staying relevant even when you don't have the footy.
- Plays a bit of golf in his time away from the club but isn't that much of a Golf head. Khamis chipped in and shared that he (Khamis) is poor at golf and even does the occasional swing and miss.

Next up were Poulter and Coffield
- Poulter talked about his aim of getting 1% better every time he gets to training and how he is focused on improving his contested marking and strength in ground ball contests.
- Explained a bit of the role of a winger and how you need to help out in other ways when the ball is stuck on the other side of the ground.

- Coffield was of course asked about his injuries and shared that he has a bit of a calf injury to work though now after injuring it up in Sydney. He talked a bit about how he and his father drove up in 2016 for the game against GWS and then the GF experience as a Doggies supporter.
- Talked about how hard it's been over the last couple of years with injuries but with the work done on his shoulder there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Seems to love being at the club.

Hudson and Mansfield were up next.
- Hudson talked about his playing days at the Hawks and Dogs and how he done a lot of coaching since.
- Talked about what it was like growing up as the some of one of the greatest forwards and as a side not he really does look like his father. Over the years he had his father attended some training sessions at some of the clubs he coached at.
Hudson is a really funny and charismatic bloke and nailed about 3 Tassie jokes off at the start of interview and dared anyone to shock him as he's heard them all. Said that people were either from Slowbart or Inceston.
- The big thing he focused on was Tasmania's journey to the AFL and the pride that he had wearing their jumper when they knocked over Vics in a game.

- Mansfield talked about all the injuries he had and to be honest it was a lot more than I ever knew. He's a real character and seems to be doing really well with a business in Tas and a farm here in Victoria.
- He talked about all his coaching and how in one coaching stint he would have to go to the local TAB to find the president and hopefully get his money providing it wasn't gambled away.
- While he never said it outright he mentioned that perhaps having Steve MacPherson as his manager might have coast him a return to the AFL. I think it was Adelaide who indicated they were going to draft him at pick 8 but then overlooked him at the last minute.
- Mansfield is an impressive guy with good stories to tell. He couldn't believe that it's taken the AFL so long to put a team in stating that GWS and GC where just preferred because the AFL was in a who's got the bigger one contest with the NRL.

Some other notes:
Bevo worked the room and must have connected with half of the audience. Especially pleasing was the way he went over and spent a good 5 to 10 minutes with a Doggies supporter in one of those big wheelchair/bed combinations before the function started. Had his arm around her and really connected with her. He's a good bloke.

Sanders at the table was fantastic, we talked about training, his parents and how they attended the games etc. He's loving the journey of being an AFL footballer and seems ready to learn. Tuesday was a day off but he would go in early for a massage and try and catch-up with some friends for lunch although he would be waiting on a delivery from Harvey Norman.

The East West club ran some raffles and announced that once again they were making a donation to the club.

All in all it was a good night.
Thanks G!

Bevo is a great fella.

Was he wearing Sandals?

Grantysghost
28-05-2024, 04:11 PM
Yeah you have to be monied up to live in wheelers hill these days. 25km from the city is a dream for people 50km+ away on the city's fringes in berwick and Frankston. Plus the country club is directly off the Wellington road exit of the Monash. Very convenient for a lot of ppl.

Any time I hear ppl mention wheelers hill is ages away from the city I just have to laugh.....the inner city elite are out of touch.
Most of the younger people I work with from the East (we are based next to Monash Uni) are Berwick, Lilydale, Rowville, Narre Warren etc.
Not many on the city side of work, those that are got in to the property market in the mid 90s so later gen x.

GVGjr
28-05-2024, 04:12 PM
Thanks G!

Bevo is a great fella.

Was he wearing Sandals?

Bit of a funny story, grabbed the wrong bag from his office before heading to the function so didn't have his slacks and shoes to change into so it was very much wearing the club shirt, shorts and runners.

GVGjr
28-05-2024, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the report GVGjr.

Sounds like it was a good night.

Easty, I would have thought a night like this would have been a good one for you? Better than going to those pubs in the West for a parma :)

Uninformed
28-05-2024, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the two great reports GVGjr. Sounds like a great night and good opportunity for you to size up Sanders.

Good to hear how the coaches are going about things and the chemistry with Bevo and Lade.

Liked the personal anecdotes. Clubs in good shape.

Stevo
28-05-2024, 05:51 PM

If I'm reading what Gary wrote correctly the same venue was getting 150 plus a few years back. If the club gets behind it more and helps make players, past and current, available and advertise it better it can be rekindled. The only time I get to hear about this club is here on WOOF and I'm kicking myself I didn't jump on this earlier. It costs a bit for 2 people to go but by the sounds of things you had a great chance to get a player, a coach or even an ex player on your table so that would make it a bit special. Hillier does a good job on these type of events as well. I don't think the location is the challenge its probably more marketing and advertising of it.

Stevo
28-05-2024, 05:53 PM
Bit of a funny story, grabbed the wrong bag from his office before heading to the function so didn't have his slacks and shoes to change into so it was very much wearing the club shirt, shorts and runners.

Such a Bevo thing to do. ;)

Stevo
28-05-2024, 05:58 PM

I wonder if there is a chance that people who work often from home now think any sort of travelling is a real chore? We live in the inner East and and once we get onto the Monash it would probably be a 25 minute drive. 7pm start is a friendly start.

NoseBleed
28-05-2024, 06:09 PM
Great report GVGjr. I'll have to try to get there next year.

angelopetraglia
28-05-2024, 06:39 PM

Wheelers Hill is really South East technically speaking. Directly east would be Box Hill or if you move further out say Ringwood.

Eastdog
28-05-2024, 06:53 PM
Easty, I would have thought a night like this would have been a good one for you? Better than going to those pubs in the West for a parma :)

Definitely thinking of moving to the inner west in the future (Love Seddon, Yarraville and Willy).

I?m still in the east. Driven around all the west (Inner suburbs and Outer suburbs) and know the roads very well now.

I was at the Mona Castle in Seddon with the folks for dinner on Saturday night.

I will always have an affinity with the Vermont South area growing up there.

soupman
28-05-2024, 06:57 PM
Wheelers Hill is really South East technically speaking. Directly east would be Box Hill or if you move further out say Ringwood.

I grew up literally in that suburb:)

I was more biting back at BADs comment it was inconvenient for people in the East.

GVGjr
28-05-2024, 07:27 PM

No matter where it's located it's going to be an issue for some.
One of the ladies who organised it come in from Lillydale with her husband so that's a bit of a commute in itself. As Stevo pointed out, the venue or location really isn't the issue for the people they're trying to attract and the area they're representing.
If they've had big crowds in the past it can happen again if the club can help them with access to players, coaches and some club staff and of course advertise it. Probably easier said than done but a lot of supporter groups have vanished over the years so it just needs some support.

ledge
29-05-2024, 09:25 AM
No matter where it's located it's going to be an issue for some.
One of the ladies who organised it come in from Lillydale with her husband so that's a bit of a commute in itself. As Stevo pointed out, the venue or location really isn't the issue for the people they're trying to attract and the area they're representing.
If they've had big crowds in the past it can happen again if the club can help them with access to players, coaches and some club staff and of course advertise it. Probably easier said than done but a lot of supporter groups have vanished over the years so it just needs some support.

Maybe they could do an online version where it’s broadcast to subscribers at a small cost.

The Underdog
29-05-2024, 10:49 AM
Disappointing. Nets.

Can we move from the Yarraville nets? I live on the other side of the city and they're not super convenient.

ledge
29-05-2024, 11:51 AM

Could he use that excuse in bad draft picks .. I grabbed the don’t want list instead of the want list.

soupman
29-05-2024, 12:37 PM
Can we move from the Yarraville nets? I live on the other side of the city and they're not super convenient.

Something close to the cbd should suffice then:)

GVGjr
29-05-2024, 01:38 PM
If anyone is interested they should consider joining the East West club. I think it's just $10 and they produce news letters etc. There isn't many supporters groups left so if they could get an extra 10 or 20 members I'm sure it would be a nice boost for the hard working committee there

Grantysghost
29-05-2024, 01:39 PM
If anyone is interested they should consider joining the East West club. I think it's just $10 and they produce news letters etc. There isn't many supporters groups left do if they could get an extra 10 or 20 members I'm sure it would be a nice boost for the hard working committee there

I work in the east so im joining! Do you have details G?

bornadog
29-05-2024, 01:44 PM

https://www.facebook.com/p/East-West-Bulldogs-Club-Inc-100071305932777/

GVGjr
29-05-2024, 01:47 PM

If anyone is interested please send me your email address via a direct message here and I will send out the form to you.

EasternWest
29-05-2024, 01:49 PM

How about the nets at Blackburn? Right by the train station so it's easy for me to get home after I've dealt out some human rights and human lefts.

Wheeler's Hill is close to the CBD innit?

The Underdog
29-05-2024, 02:02 PM
How about the nets at Blackburn? Right by the train station so it's easy for me to get home after I've dealt out some human rights and human lefts.

Wheeler's Hill is close to the CBD innit?

There’s some sweet squash courts at the Mulgrave Country Club. We could mix it up a bit.

EasternWest
29-05-2024, 03:13 PM

There’s some sweet squash courts at the Mulgrave Country Club. We could mix it up a bit.

Too close to where I work. I have a reputation to uphold good sir.

Stevo
29-05-2024, 05:48 PM
If anyone is interested please send me your email address via a direct message here and I will send out the form to you.

You've got my email Gaz, send it too me and I'll be happy to join up.

Eastdog
29-05-2024, 06:25 PM
If anyone is interested they should consider joining the East West club. I think it's just $10 and they produce news letters etc. There isn't many supporters groups left so if they could get an extra 10 or 20 members I'm sure it would be a nice boost for the hard working committee there

Been a member for a couple of years now. The East West Training days well over 10 years ago I believe used to be really good. The whole team would come out.

bornadog
29-05-2024, 06:31 PM
Just an email to the East West Club and ask to join.

eastwestbulldogs@gmail.com