2020: 106.67 (** C19: 1,103/1,034)
2021: 132.84 (1,994/1,501) - missed top four on percentage
2022: 108.89 (1,973/1,812)
*2023: 103.91 (1,301/1,252)

Average: 106%

Scores For: Settled around 1,900 per season - 86 points per game

Scores Against:

2016 & 2021: very low by our historical Bevo average - circa 70 points per game
Rest: around the 1,850 mark - 84 points per game (20% higher than 2016 & 2021)
2023: averaging 78.25 per game - well over 10% above 2016 & 2021 levels - about 7% better than ?rest? average

This is a Rorshack Test.

For me it says that our percentage under Bevo - considering the years of finals - is:

A) very, very poor. Not getting around it.
B) consistent of our attack/scores for - be it Stringer & Toyd or Bruce & Naughton. Same mids. Not much difference. We?ve never really grown our ability to pile on the points
C) despite paying handsomely for Lobb, our scores for has gone backwards!
D) 2016 & 2021 not by coincidence have much better defensive years. But it can?t be put down just to the players. In 2016 it was Dale, Hamling & Wood. In 2021 it was Keath, Cordy & an emerging Gardner. Same mids. Did the ruck change our defence from the midfield. In 2016 there was Roughead, Campbell, Minson & Toyd. In 2021 Stef Martin, English, Sweet and Young/Bruce. Years with a bonafide first ruck supported by a second ruck and depth.
E) our defence seems to be a litmus test of how we will fare. While this year is better than the Bevo average, it?s nowhere near the levels of 2016 & 2021.
F) the mids have largely been the same over the period (Bont, Jack, Libba, Hunter et al). Is their ability to defend or not, directly tractable to our lower scores against

It also highlights, our poor goal kicking over this period has killed our percentage. If that was fixed up you could add 10 points a game at least. But we haven?t fixed it. Bruce gave it a bump (still under 2015 levels) for just a year and Lobb has seen it go backwards. So personnel hasn?t and won?t fix it on its own. Increasing our scores got will come down to coaching, skill coaching and game planning. So let’s stop chasing external players when we can see it’s down to the coach/es.

It also highlights Bevo?s no tagging philosophy might not be brilliant. Our best years are our best team defence years. Would it not be better to help our defenders by stopping mids and run ons? If strong defence gets us to Grand Finals, then play to our strengths?

It seems to me, our mids need to raise their defence, our forwards need to get accurate, our defence needs to keep improving - all things many already know. It suggests a more traditional ruck set up is at least coincide to more successful seasons. With Bevo here for a few years, it seems defence/scores against is the key metric. So I think personnel like a Barass and a Duryea replacement are very important to success going ahead.

So the club thinks it?s in the window. It might be. If it reviews the ruck and tagger roles, kicks straight, stops oppo gun mids/run ons and bring in defensive cover in the trade period. The percentage data under Bevo whilst generally poor, does support the argument some tweaks could force us into the window. But I don?t think we do anything with the ruck, we won?t tag, we won?t stop run ons and we won?t kick straight. BUT. If we could, then the club maybe right, the window is open.

What do you see?

Bulldog Joe
10-07-2023, 08:25 PM
With all those stats the most common element in everything is the coach.

Surely the coach is responsible for all that.
He is in his 9th season and how we play is absolutely on him.

bulldogtragic
10-07-2023, 08:34 PM
With all those stats the most common element in everything is the coach.

Surely the coach is responsible for all that.
He is in his 9th season and how we play is absolutely on him.

No doubt. The ruck and tagger decisions are his and his philosophy. The game plan and match day tactics to stop gun oppo mids and run ins are his to manage, along with team defence. His assistants are responsible for skill development (goal kicking).

Despite the turnover in forwards (Toyd, Stringer, Picken & Smith retiring early, Naughton, Bruce, Schache, Lobb, Cody etc) under Bevo his teams all pretty much kick 84 points a game. Curious?!?

But defence numbers in 2016 & 2021 show he can get around a flat lining ‘scores for’. Without huge name KPDs. But not consistently or in sequential seasons either.

But I guess, are his philosophies dated? Does the data back them still?

jeemak
10-07-2023, 09:55 PM
The other common element is the playing group. I mean, when we played well this year we were extremely difficult to score against and we had the same coach, the same players, and no Jordan Sweet or Stef Martin.

I would say their lack of application for different reasons at different times is a huge factor and I don't think they should get a free pass.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-07-2023, 10:50 PM
The other common element is the playing group. I mean, when we played well this year we were extremely difficult to score against and we had the same coach, the same players, and no Jordan Sweet or Stef Martin.

I would say their lack of application for different reasons at different times is a huge factor and I don't think they should get a free pass.

Is the gameplan too taxing and unsustainable week to week? We saw it applied fairly consistently in 2016 and 2021 though i suppose. But why only twice in 9 years?

Although i think out list is getting weaker, I've always thought we've previously had a list capable of much better. Capable of 2016 and 2021 like performances. It's a giant mystery to me why we've been such a roller-coaster side under Bevo.

jeemak
10-07-2023, 11:11 PM
Is the gameplan too taxing and unsustainable week to week? We saw it applied fairly consistently in 2016 and 2021 though i suppose. But why only twice in 9 years?

Although i think out list is getting weaker, I've always thought we've previously had a list capable of much better. Capable of 2016 and 2021 like performances. It's a giant mystery to me why we've been such a roller-coaster side under Bevo.

Much of the Bevo era has seen us field relatively cobbled together/ emerging forward and defencive tall structures. To me when we've been able to make it work it's been a huge credit to the players for their application and also credit to the coaching team for giving them the blueprint to follow.

I think every game plan a successful team deploys is super taxing, but especially so if you have cobbled together/ emerging tall structures at either end of the ground. By nature the bulk of the work has to be done through sheer effort and planning between the arcs.

If you believe we rebuilt in the years post 2017 to 2021 (which I do), then you'd have to say that our coaching has been really good and supported by a midfield that keeps us in and wins us more games than we lose. Last year was really disappointing, this year looks like it might fall short as well, and I think that's on everyone - not just the coaching team - because the players have demonstrated they can do it right, but have lapses in games and week to week.

Others have a different view, but I think of the Bevo years there's only been two really disappointing ones for me (2017 and 2022) and in one of them we still made finals.

Bulldog Joe
11-07-2023, 08:48 AM
Much of the Bevo era has seen us field relatively cobbled together/ emerging forward and defencive tall structures. To me when we've been able to make it work it's been a huge credit to the players for their application and also credit to the coaching team for giving them the blueprint to follow.

I think every game plan a successful team deploys is super taxing, but especially so if you have cobbled together/ emerging tall structures at either end of the ground. By nature the bulk of the work has to be done through sheer effort and planning between the arcs.

If you believe we rebuilt in the years post 2017 to 2021 (which I do), then you'd have to say that our coaching has been really good and supported by a midfield that keeps us in and wins us more games than we lose. Last year was really disappointing, this year looks like it might fall short as well, and I think that's on everyone - not just the coaching team - because the players have demonstrated they can do it right, but have lapses in games and week to week.

Others have a different view, but I think of the Bevo years there's only been two really disappointing ones for me (2017 and 2022) and in one of them we still made finals.
My disappoint meter is much more volatile than yours.

I only have 2 years that I am not disappointed with.

2015 and 2016 were exhilarating, but 2021 was disappointing because the decisions from about round 17 to coast through cost top 4 and we blew a premiership.

We spent lots of time playing catch up in 2018-20 until the coach decided to play more normally.

Mofra
11-07-2023, 08:54 AM
We spent all pre-season talking about setting up slightly more defensively across the ground so no surprise we're scoring as little less this year.
I do wonder how much rule changes have led to coach adjustments and the flow on effects of scoring from that.

Mantis
11-07-2023, 09:03 AM
We spent all pre-season talking about setting up slightly more defensively across the ground so no surprise we're scoring as little less this year.
I do wonder how much rule changes have led to coach adjustments and the flow on effects of scoring from that.

Has this change been really noticeable? After a horror start to the season we went ultra defensive in the games that followed, but it seems to me we are playng pretty much the same as previous years now and our inability to score has more to do with ball movement and skill errors rather than the way we defend.... maybe we move the ball 'safely' (as referenced by jeemak in another thread), but to me we don't consistently play it safe and if we have more attacking options we take on that route.

Mofra
11-07-2023, 09:26 AM
Has this change been really noticeable? After a horror start to the season we went ultra defensive in the games that followed, but it seems to me we are playng pretty much the same as previous years now and our inability to score has more to do with ball movement and skill errors rather than the way we defend.... maybe we move the ball 'safely' (as referenced by jeemak in another thread), but to me we don't consistently play it safe and if we have more attacking options we take on that route.
We're not 10-12m in front of opposition forwards which seems to be the most eye-ball noticeable difference.

We also use the corridor less than other clubs - two rounds ago at least we were rated 18th

lemmon
11-07-2023, 09:40 AM
We also use the corridor less than other clubs - two rounds ago at least we were rated 18th

Which seems a bit bizarre to me considering we have Naughton, Ugle-Hagan and Weightman playing in our forward half who'd all thrive on the ball coming in quick and direct. We also have had Dale, JJ and Richards off half back through most of the year, who should be capable of taking the ball through the middle with some degree of safety.

I wonder if it's a directive based on our team defence? If we attack wide and turnover wide, we're in a safer position to defend the ground.

jeemak
11-07-2023, 12:03 PM
My disappoint meter is much more volatile than yours.

Oh well, we're all responsible for our own disappointment meters. :)

bulldogtragic
15-07-2023, 05:59 PM
Percentage under Bevo:

Scores Against:

2023: averaging 78.25 per game - well over 10% above 2016 & 2021 levels - about 7% better than ?rest? average

So we gave up exactly 78 points again Thursday night. At least we?re consistent.

Now we have the worst percentage in the top 10 and May find ourselves out of the 8 tonight on percentage.

From choking on 2021 to give up top 4 on percentage to now, it keeps coming back to bite.

Bullies
16-07-2023, 03:52 PM
We seem to over possess the footy. We have 5 or 6 players who week in week out get 30+ p's. We should be dominating the games with those stats but we don't hurt the opposition. We are happy to flick it around and gather possession after possession which results in either our forwards getting covered or we turn it over.

Maybe 2 or 3 handballs rather than 6 or 7 and give our forwards a chance. Take on the game use the corridoor and don't worry about individual stats.

bornadog
16-07-2023, 05:57 PM
We seem to over possess the footy. We have 5 or 6 players who week in week out get 30+ p's. We should be dominating the games with those stats but we don't hurt the opposition. We are happy to flick it around and gather possession after possession which results in either our forwards getting covered or we turn it over.

Maybe 2 or 3 handballs rather than 6 or 7 and give our forwards a chance. Take on the game use the corridoor and don't worry about individual stats.

What you are saying is we need to be more efficient with our possessions. Not sure why we are scared of the corridor.

bulldogtragic
16-07-2023, 06:01 PM
What you are saying is we need to be more efficient with our possessions. Not sure why we are scared of the corridor.

Is it not the game plan? (I assume it is since we keep doing it)

bornadog
16-07-2023, 06:07 PM
Is it not the game plan? (I assume it is since we keep doing it)

I know it is the game plan, but that is what I am saying, why are we not using the corridor.

bulldogtragic
16-07-2023, 06:10 PM
I know it is the game plan, but that is what I am saying, why are we not using the corridor.

I’d like Bevo to tell us. I’d really like to understand the reason since other teams are using it to great effect.

bornadog
16-07-2023, 06:11 PM
I’d like Bevo to tell us. I’d really like to understand the reason since other teams are using it to great effect.

Is it because, as Jeemak says, we are playing conservative footy and trying to be more defensive. Playing the wings is less risky.

bulldogtragic
16-07-2023, 06:13 PM
Is it because, as Jeemak says, we are playing conservative footy and trying to be more defensive. Playing the wings is less risky.

I’m not sure. But there must be some reason for it. I’m just not sure what it is.

anfo27
17-07-2023, 12:06 AM

I think thats exactly what it is. Protecting our fragile defence but its also destroying our forward line. Winning as many games as we did playing the rubbish we served up, has made our coaches think this method is working. We were just lucky. Got Freo over there when they were worse that us, carlton when they were horribly out of form, GWS without Greene, Crows without Walker & Tilthorpe. Just felt like play crap & still win but once we get our confidence back we have so much room for improvement. Still waiting.

Bullies
17-07-2023, 08:33 AM
I’m not sure. But there must be some reason for it. I’m just not sure what it is. Is it because we have to many of the same type of mid fielders who are happy to accumulate possession. We don't hurt teams. Our mids don't play accountable football and are not overly quick so opposition are happy to let them accumulate. They need to change it up and take risks and take the game on.

bornadog
17-07-2023, 10:21 AM
Is it because we have to many of the same type of mid fielders who are happy to accumulate possession. We don't hurt teams. Our mids don't play accountable football and are not overly quick so opposition are happy to let them accumulate. They need to change it up and take risks and take the game on.

But is that the reason we don't play the corridor? (that is what we were discussing)

bulldogtragic
05-08-2023, 03:59 PM
Percentage under Bevo:

Scores Against:

2023: averaging 78.25 per game - well over 10% above 2016 & 2021 levels - about 7% better than ?rest ?

Probably a coincidence:

We gave us 78 points against Sydney & GWS - this season average and lost

We restricted Richmond to our 2016 & 2021 average of 71 points - and won

When our defence holds to 71 points or better we do very well. Hold both GWS & Sydney to 71 and we win both. I guess we know where we need to focus where we are dangerous.

bulldogtragic
20-04-2024, 09:29 PM
Percentage under Bevo:

Year: percentage (for/against)

2015: 115.12 (2,101/1,825)
2016: 115.41 (1,857/1,609)
2017: 97.07 (1,857/1,913)
2018: 77.32 (1,575/2,037)
2019: 107.24 (1,941/1,810)
2020: 106.67 (** C19: 1,103/1,034)
2021: 132.84 (1,994/1,501) - missed top four on percentage
2022: 108.89 (1,973/1,812)
2023: 108.7 (1,919/1,766)

Average: 106%

Scores For: Settled around 1,900 per season - 86 points per game

Scores Against:

2023: 76.8 per game - well over 10% above 2016 & 2021 levels - about 7% better than ?rest? average

*2024: 123%
Points For: 94.5 per game
Points Against: 76.8 per game

So far percentage highest since 2016 & 2021 owing to higher than Bevo era average scoring (+8 per game), owing to our increased accuracy this year. While our defence is just a goal a game higher than 2016 & 2021 (on par with last year) which are outliers in the Bevo era. This is despite being 3 wins, 3 losses.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2024, 12:15 PM
*2024: 123.9% (third highest, 0.4% of being second highest)
Points For: 95.7 per game
Points Against: 77.3 per game

So far percentage highest since 2016 & 2021 owing to higher than Bevo era average scoring (nearly +10 per game), owing to our increased accuracy this year. While our defence is just a goal a game higher than 2016 & 2021 (on par with last year) which are outliers in the Bevo era. This is despite being 4 wins, 5 losses.

Seems accuracy improvements and filling our boots against poor teams have been addressed as areas of improvement which we?ve improved. Our defence is holding up despite for the most part only playing one genuine KPD and moving out Richards. The scoring is also good despite Marra & Lobb pretty much non factors this year. Just disappointing the wins aren?t on the board.

westdog54
12-05-2024, 12:29 PM
Worst thing about last night was how many gettable goals we missed. Could have really poured on the pain.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-05-2024, 05:40 PM
*2024: 123.9% (third highest, 0.4% of being second highest)
Points For: 95.7 per game
Points Against: 77.3 per game

So far percentage highest since 2016 & 2021 owing to higher than Bevo era average scoring (nearly +10 per game), owing to our increased accuracy this year. While our defence is just a goal a game higher than 2016 & 2021 (on par with last year) which are outliers in the Bevo era. This is despite being 4 wins, 5 losses.

Seems accuracy improvements and filling our boots against poor teams have been addressed as areas of improvement which we?ve improved. Our defence is holding up despite for the most part only playing one genuine KPD and moving out Richards.
The scoring is also good despite Marra & Lobb pretty much non factors this year. Just disappointing the wins aren?t on the board.

Agree, the losses to Hawthorn and Freo in particular might really hurt us down the stretch. We've got a block of 5 matches now against GWS, Sydney, Collingwood, Brisbane and Freo. Our season is either going to be done and dusted at the end of that group of matches, or we'll have demonstrated that we've found our groove.

MrMahatma
13-05-2024, 10:22 AM
Agree, the losses to Hawthorn and Freo in particular might really hurt us down the stretch. We've got a block of 5 matches now against GWS, Sydney, Collingwood, Brisbane and Freo. Our season is either going to be done and dusted at the end of that group of matches, or we'll have demonstrated that we've found our groove.

How many do we need to win for us to have found our groove? 3? 4?

Sedat
13-05-2024, 11:18 AM
How many do we need to win for us to have found our groove? 3? 4?
We need to be bare minimum 3-2 in that block and square the season going into our bye. Would much prefer 4-1, which I think we are capable of - I have us as 50-50 the next 2 weeks (GWS currently going like busteds and are vulnerable, Swans at home off back to back short breaks for them and travel). We are also potentially 50-50 against Collingwood if they still have injury issues affecting their depth in 3 weeks time, and I have us better than even money against both Brisbane and Freo (both at home).

Defining 5 weeks coming up for us and the Bevo era. It's actually exciting to have this challenge to see exactly where we are at in 2024 and how our game plan adjustments for 2024 are progressing. Would rather we fail trying to adapt through personnel/game plan than plod along in mid table no-mans land.

ledge
13-05-2024, 01:18 PM
Looking at our percentage this year tells us we are a good side , lose by little and win big.
If we won a few close ones we would have been regarded as a premiership contender, the margin is tiny. Eg an extra 14 points would have given us two more wins which places us 4th as opposed to 11th.
Also shows the importance of accurate kicking, even just 3 missed shots.

Eastdog
13-05-2024, 01:22 PM
Worst thing about last night was how many gettable goals we missed. Could have really poured on the pain.

19.19 - 38 scoring shots.

Absolutely could have won by more!

bulldogtragic
18-05-2024, 08:36 PM
Moved into clear second on percentage. With Sydney clear first. W/L aside, the two best teams on percentage up against each other this week.

angelopetraglia
20-05-2024, 11:21 AM
We are ranked #3 for offence - points scored. Sydney #1 and Geelong #2.

We are ranked #5 for defence - points conceded Sydney #1, Freo #2. Melbourne #3, Lions #4

That is a decent profile after 10 games.

(What I found interesting looking at the stats is that Carlton is ranked #15 for defence with only #16 Eagles, #17 Tigers and #18 Kangas worse than them. That is not a top four profile.)

ledge
20-05-2024, 05:38 PM
We are ranked #3 for offence - points scored. Sydney #1 and Geelong #2.

We are ranked #5 for defence - points conceded Sydney #1, Freo #2. Melbourne #3, Lions #4

That is a decent profile after 10 games.

(What I found interesting looking at the stats is that Carlton is ranked #15 for defence with only #16 Eagles, #17 Tigers and #18 Kangas worse than them. That is not a top four profile.)

I imagine Carlton’s numbers wouldn’t be a top 8 profile either.