PDA

View Full Version : Stuart Dew

GVGjr
11-07-2023, 10:26 AM
Tom Browne reporting that Dew has been sacked.

bornadog
11-07-2023, 10:29 AM
Tom Morris says Steven King to takeover as interim.

Grantysghost
11-07-2023, 10:36 AM
Tom Browne reporting that Dew has been sacked.

Strange timing.

They must have someone lined up? Hardwick?

GVGjr
11-07-2023, 10:37 AM
Tom Morris says Steven King to takeover as interim.

Logical choice as well. Good luck too him.
Carro has been firm that Dew was going so got it right.

GVGjr
11-07-2023, 10:40 AM
Strange timing.

They must have someone lined up? Hardwick?

Seems likely doesn't it but not much of a break for someone who was burned out.

GVGjr
11-07-2023, 10:44 AM
The Gold Coast Suns have parted ways with coach Stuart Dew.

The decision is understood to have been made last night, with Dew’s position under increased pressure in recent weeks.

Seven football journalist Tom Browne reported the news on Tuesday morning, saying in a tweet that the Suns have “parted company” with the former Port Adelaide and Hawthorn forward.

Dew was contracted through to the end of 2024.

The Gold Coast Suns have been contacted for comment.

bornadog
11-07-2023, 10:44 AM
Logical choice as well. Good luck too him.
Carro has been firm that Dew was going so got it right.

Last week Mark Evans said Stu was safe. You really have to wonder about these administrators.

Bulldog Joe
11-07-2023, 10:45 AM

Conspiracy theory suggests Hardwick wasn't burned out but bought out and they need to move Dew now so he didn't finish the season in a blaze of glory.

Grantysghost
11-07-2023, 10:45 AM

I heard him interviewed the other day - he still had the fire.

Sedat
11-07-2023, 10:47 AM
Last week Mark Evans said Stu was safe. You really have to wonder about these administrators.
He said as much again yesterday! He is just another incompetent fool from the breeding ground of City Hall - only difference between him and Lethers is that he hasn't been caught rooting his PA.

GVGjr
11-07-2023, 10:48 AM

I always wonder why clubs sack coaches so late in the season? Does it just give them the jump on other clubs in interviewing candidates?

bornadog
11-07-2023, 10:49 AM
I always wonder why clubs sack coaches so late in the season? Does it just give them the jump on other clubs in interviewing candidates?

Unless the players have completely lost it with the coach, the only other reason has got to be a jump on interviewing and gaining available coaches

bulldogtragic
11-07-2023, 10:54 AM
I’ll take him as an assistant.

azabob
11-07-2023, 10:59 AM
Gee a few million people owe Caro an apology.

Suns would be crazy to appoint Damien Hardwick. If they do it will be a worse result than when the saints hired Malcolm Blight.

Sedat
11-07-2023, 11:05 AM
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

GVGjr
11-07-2023, 11:06 AM
Unless the players have completely lost it with the coach, the only other reason has got to be a jump on interviewing and gaining available coaches

It doesn't seem that way at all though and it has to be the on-field results haven't measured up.
He seems to be a players coach. I'd say it's to get a jump on Fremantle.

A mate has speculated that it's Bevo not Hardwick that the Suns are after and the selling point is he wouldn't need his wet suit to go surfing up there.

EasternWest
11-07-2023, 11:07 AM
He said as much again yesterday! He is just another incompetent fool from the breeding ground of City Hall - only difference between him and Lethers is that he hasn't been caught rooting his PA.

Yet.

I often feel like I've missed a trick not getting on the CPA/PWC/Private School/politics/corporate board train that just carries you through life.

It must be so comforting knowing that no matter your ability, no matter your integrity (or lack thereof), no matter your incompetence, no matter the trail of destruction left in your wake, you're going to continue in an upward trajectory to the next sinecure and then the one after that.

In actual fact just saying that has inspired me to make a career change. Starting from now can you guys all please call me "Easters"?

GVGjr
11-07-2023, 11:07 AM
I’ll take him as an assistant.

There would be a few clubs keen to get him across.

bornadog
11-07-2023, 11:24 AM
It doesn't seem that way at all though and it has to be the on-field results haven't measured up.
He seems to be a players coach. I'd say it's to get a jump on Fremantle.

A mate has speculated that it's Bevo not Hardwick that the Suns are after and the selling point is he wouldn't need his wet suit to go surfing up there.

Just ridiculous to get rid of a coach during the season. I know we have done that with Wallace, which was justified after he announced he was going to Swans, and Rocket (many others in the past as well)

ledge
11-07-2023, 11:29 AM
Just ridiculous to get rid of a coach during the season. I know we have done that with Wallace, which was justified after he announced he was going to Swans, and Rocket (many others in the past as well)

I’m a believer in sacking a coach mid season if you can get the coach you want to come in straight away as he gets a few games to see who he wants and doesn’t want . It gives him a heads up at draft time .
I also believe that if you have lost the group or it’s fallen so badly you have no option but to sack them straight away or it could get worse with players checking out and wanting to leave .

bulldogtragic
11-07-2023, 11:34 AM
Kind of feel like this is the cyclical managerial self harm this ‘club’ has been doing since the get go. I do not have much confidence this will be the huge turn around they need. With their academy kids this year whoever comes in needs a very strong development skill set. That’s their way out of oblivion if they can keep their kids. Just feels something a pretend club would go thinking the Hardwick option is their saviour. I need to be convinced it is. But good luck to them. Hopefully it pisses don’t players off and they come to us along with Dew as an assistant.

bornadog
11-07-2023, 11:37 AM
From GC

The Gold Coast SUNS can confirm the club has determined Stuart Dew’s position as Senior Coach will conclude with immediate effect.

Gold Coast SUNS Chairman Bob East said as a club we were determined to see improvement on the field throughout the 2023 season.

“Last night the Gold Coast SUNS Board of Directors met, and it was determined that Stuart Dew would not continue in his role as Senior Coach,” East said.

“We feel we have a great opportunity to achieve success with this group but haven’t seen the improvement we were after in 2023 and as a football club we must be prepared to make tough decisions, in that pursuit of success.

“Stuart has made a significant contribution to this football club, dedicating countless hours towards helping establish a platform from which our club can grow, and I’d like to take this opportunity to thank him, his wife Sarah and family for the last six years.”

Dew departs as Gold Coast’s longest-serving coach, having overseen 121 games for 36 wins, 84 losses and a draw.

Senior Assistant Coach Steven King will serve as interim coach for the remainder of 2023.

mjp
11-07-2023, 11:42 AM

MARK EVANS said he was safe hey? And then changed his mind less than a week later?

Not like Mark to be accused of stretching the truth...

Sedat
11-07-2023, 11:53 AM
MARK EVANS said he was safe hey? And then changed his mind less than a week later?

He was touted as some sort of gun for hire when he went to Gold Coast as CEO and left his cushy little gig at the glorified public service known as AFEL HQ. He's had more than 10 years at Gold Coast and has been slightly less than useless the entire time there.

This is the kind of executive 'talent' that the City Hall footy factory produces.

azabob
11-07-2023, 11:57 AM
He was touted as some sort of gun for hire when he went to Gold Coast as CEO and left his cushy little gig at the glorified public service known as AFEL HQ. He's had more than 10 years at Gold Coast and has been slightly less than useless the entire time there.

This is the kind of executive 'talent' that the City Hall footy factory produces.

Rule of thumb for those at the top of the tree; make sure you keep cutting down the branches just below you to save your own skin.

Evans has to also be walked, surely? Two failed senior coaches, the management of their list and salary cap has been a total dumpster fire.

mjp
11-07-2023, 12:10 PM
Just ridiculous to get rid of a coach during the season.

Disagree.

I think the first part of a coach change is deciding that the person you want isn't right for you. If you have done that, make it easy on everyone - coach, club, players - and just let them go. Sure, it'll be a crap few days but once the decision has been made the pressure will be off and EVERYONE can move forward.

If you know you aren't going ahead with someone, why let them keep on coaching/guiding your players...just cut the chord.

EasternWest
11-07-2023, 12:11 PM
Rule of thumb for those at the top of the tree; make sure you keep cutting down the branches just below you to save your own skin.

This is such a good metaphor that I'm stealing it and telling people I invented it.

Evans has to also be walked, surely? Two failed senior coaches, the management of their list and salary cap has been a total dumpster fire.

Definitely. A nice little half a million for 6 board meetings a year somewhere should be punishment enough.

Scraggers
11-07-2023, 12:14 PM
So who’s picking St. Kilda to win this weekend? The new coach theory looms strong with this tip.

bornadog
11-07-2023, 12:15 PM
Disagree.

I think the first part of a coach change is deciding that the person you want isn't right for you. If you have done that, make it easy on everyone - coach, club, players - and just let them go. Sure, it'll be a crap few days but once the decision has been made the pressure will be off and EVERYONE can move forward.

If you know you aren't going ahead with someone, why let them keep on coaching/guiding your players...just cut the chord.

8 wins to date (two games out of 8) and 7 games to go, they must have thought they won't make finals with Stu.

bornadog
11-07-2023, 12:17 PM

6 days ago

Gold Coast CEO Mark Evans has been emphatic in his immediate support of coach Stuart Dew, following concerns over his future at the helm.

Veteran journalist Caroline Wilson suggested that Dew could be out of a job as soon as this month as the struggling Suns look like missing the eight once again.

?I've got a coach, this club's got a coach,? Evans told reporters.
?There would be no reason why we would buy into comments about who's available. It serves no purpose.?

Naturally, Evans was asked if things could change at the end of the season if results don?t turn around.
His response to that question was coyer.

?Come back and ask me then,? he said.
?Right now, let?s do everything we can to make sure the results do come.?

bulldogtragic
11-07-2023, 12:24 PM
Do we like conspiracy theories…

GCS can’t bid on THREE academy kids if they make the top 8. Only TWO matched bids at the pointy end of the draft are allowed for a finalist.

Is the club making sure it absolutely doesn’t make the 8, they’re only two games off. But the cost for making the eight is long term punishment in missing a gun academy kid. Unless you miss the 8, then you take all three gun players and look to the future a little brighter. Club sanctioned tanking?

Mofra
11-07-2023, 12:32 PM
Media lynch mob claim another scalp.
AFL media - of which there are are twice as many accredited journos than those working in politics - sucks

bornadog
11-07-2023, 12:32 PM

GCS can’t bid on THREE academy kids if they make the top 8. Only two matched bids at the pointy end of the draft are allowed for a finalist.

Is the club making sure it absolutely doesn’t make the 8, they’re only two games off. But the cost for making the right is long term punishment in missing a gun kid. Unless you miss the 8, then you take all three gun players and look to the future a little brighter. Club sanctioned tanking?
Possible, Possible ;)

jeemak
11-07-2023, 12:40 PM

Suns would be crazy to appoint Damien Hardwick. If they do it will be a worse result than when the saints hired Malcolm Blight.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

If anyone thought Dew was going to keep his job after that article stepping out the reasons Dew should go and GCS wouldn't want to miss a chance like they did with Hinkley then they're mad.

Flamethrower
11-07-2023, 02:53 PM
Suns picked a bad time to play Collingwood and Port Adelaide in consecutive weeks. It wasn't like they lost to Hawthorn by 20 goals like West Coast.

mjp
11-07-2023, 03:06 PM
If anyone thought Dew was going to keep his job after that article stepping out the reasons Dew should go and GCS wouldn't want to miss a chance like they did with Hinkley then they're mad.

I think it's been 5 or 6 years that he's been in charge. "EVERYONE" knew he wouldn't coach in 2024 unless they made finals...I get that Wilson has been made out to be the bad guy here but I'm not sure she reported anything that wasn't simple common sense.

All the talk about a 'rat in the ranks' at GC etc...give me a break. If you don't play finals then you get the flick - it's not always right but it is what happens...I was actually surprised he ended up being re-appointed and think the horrible salary cap stuff they were dealing with probably saved him - and ultimately doomed him. Along with the whole "the boys want me as coach" immediately followed by Rankine planting his flag in Adelaide...I have to agree that MOST of them stayed but even so...

jeemak
11-07-2023, 03:56 PM
I think it's been 5 or 6 years that he's been in charge. "EVERYONE" knew he wouldn't coach in 2024 unless they made finals...I get that Wilson has been made out to be the bad guy here but I'm not sure she reported anything that wasn't simple common sense.

All the talk about a 'rat in the ranks' at GC etc...give me a break. If you don't play finals then you get the flick - it's not always right but it is what happens...I was actually surprised he ended up being re-appointed and think the horrible salary cap stuff they were dealing with probably saved him - and ultimately doomed him. Along with the whole "the boys want me as coach" immediately followed by Rankine planting his flag in Adelaide...I have to agree that MOST of them stayed but even so...

I don't have a problem with Wilson reporting it, and I don't have a problem with Dew losing his job. Just saying it's been set up over a few days.

Sedat
11-07-2023, 04:46 PM
Yet.

I often feel like I've missed a trick not getting on the CPA/PWC/Private School/politics/corporate board train that just carries you through life.

It must be so comforting knowing that no matter your ability, no matter your integrity (or lack thereof), no matter your incompetence, no matter the trail of destruction left in your wake, you're going to continue in an upward trajectory to the next sinecure and then the one after that.

In actual fact just saying that has inspired me to make a career change. Starting from now can you guys all please call me "Easters"?
If I knew how to post gifs, now would be a good time for the Mel Brooks "'It's good to be the king" one from History of the World.

macca
11-07-2023, 08:16 PM

Yep, classic management blaming someone else move.

Terrible for Stuart Dew

Suns are a nothing team. The administration just is crap.

look at all the players they have lost in the last 3 years:
only players probably get a game: Bowes, Wright, Markov, Brodie maybe Greenwood.

2022: Jack Bowes (trade, Geelong), Matt Conroy (delisted), Josh Corbett (trade, Fremantle), Jez McLennan (delisted), Oleg Markov (delisted), Patrick Murtagh (delisted), Rhys Nicholls (delisted), Izak Rankine (trade, Adelaide), Rory Thompson (retired)

Markov may have been premature

Who left in 2021: Will Brodie (trade, Fremantle), Aiden Fyfe (delisted), Hugh Greenwood (delisted free agent, North Melbourne), Jarrod Harbrow (retired), Jack Hombsch (retired), Jordan Murdoch (retired), Zac Smith (retired), Luke Towey (delisted), Jacob Townsend (delisted)

Who has left 2020: Jacob Dawson (delisted), Corey Ellis (delisted), Sam Fletcher (delisted), Pearce Hanley (retired), Jacob Heron (delisted), George Horlin-Smith (retired), Jesse Joyce (delisted), Anthony Miles (retired), Mitch Riordan (delisted), Josh Schoenfeld (delisted), Peter Wright (Essendon, trade)

1eyedog
11-07-2023, 09:29 PM

GCS can’t bid on THREE academy kids if they make the top 8. Only TWO matched bids at the pointy end of the draft are allowed for a finalist.

Is the club making sure it absolutely doesn’t make the 8, they’re only two games off. But the cost for making the eight is long term punishment in missing a gun academy kid. Unless you miss the 8, then you take all three gun players and look to the future a little brighter. Club sanctioned tanking?

The Suns need their first finals appearance more than anything at the moment.