PDA

View Full Version : You are John Longmire on game day - what are your plans for the Dogs?

Dry Rot
12-07-2023, 01:08 AM
We are all Dogs fans here, and so we obviously mostly focus on our team with upcoming matches.

I thought it might be interesting to have a thread where we could all apply our vast collective footy knowledge thinking like the opposition and figuring out their game plan, tactics, and match ups against us.

So give it a go, you are John Longmire on game day and who knows, if this goes well maybe it could be a useful thread before each game.

Mofra
12-07-2023, 08:37 AM
Tag Libba as a first, second and third priority.

Let the Bulldogs win the clearance and 'clear' - given the Bulldogs regularly push 1-2 HFs up to the contest, take that then try and defend the clearance kick, then rebound.

Use the corridor - the Bulldogs are allergic to the centre square in open play.

If I was Longmire I'd be thinking "jeez I wish Papley was in form" because if in he's the type to kick a bag. In the past couple of months he's been lucky to hold his spot.

EasternWest
12-07-2023, 08:48 AM
Tag Libba as a first, second and third priority.

Let the Bulldogs win the clearance and 'clear' - given the Bulldogs regularly push 1-2 HFs up to the contest, take that then try and defend the clearance kick, then rebound.

Use the corridor - the Bulldogs are allergic to the centre square in open play.

If I was Longmire I'd be thinking "jeez I wish Papley was in form" because if in he's the type to kick a bag. In the past couple of months he's been lucky to hold his spot.

Longmire is no doubt thinking "The Bulldogs play players into form"and rubbing his hands together.

Mofra
12-07-2023, 11:05 AM
Longmire is no doubt thinking "The Bulldogs play players into form"and rubbing his hands together.
Mills to get a run in the middle (finally! say Swans fans).

Amarty to kick a bag? Our KPD stocks right now are Keath, a banged up Gardner who should be rested, and Tibor the assistant property steward. Oh, and Bruce.

bornadog
12-07-2023, 11:28 AM
I would tag Bont

GVGjr
12-07-2023, 11:45 AM
We need to see the selections before we can really know but if Darcy plays and does some ruck work I'd be instructing Hickey to go hard at a couple of contests.

azabob
12-07-2023, 12:03 PM
We need to see the selections before we can really know but if Darcy plays and does some ruck work I'd be instructing Hickey to go hard at a couple of contests.

This should be Hickey's instruction regardless who is rucking.

mjp
12-07-2023, 12:18 PM

Agreed.

When we battled last week Collingwood were able to turn our extra at the stop into their spare behind the ball...then rely on their pressure from the forwards/mids to force us to kick it to him...

Surely they will be trying to do this? Drop off Macrae/Weightman whoever is getting highest to establish a strong intercept position behind the ball whilst also holding 6x forwards to take advantage should the turnover be effected...

Not sure what Lloyd's status is post Nankervis 'intervention' but he would be the likely 'runner' with Blakely the interceptor I guess...need to see Sydney's team.

I wouldn't tag Liber btw...I would just let him get it and hold him in - he's been pretty careless flipping the ball out of the contest lately..

bornadog
12-07-2023, 12:22 PM
Agreed.

When we battled last week Collingwood were able to turn our extra at the stop into their spare behind the ball...then rely on their pressure from the forwards/mids to force us to kick it to him...

Surely they will be trying to do this? Drop off Macrae/Weightman whoever is getting highest to establish a strong intercept position behind the ball whilst also holding 6x forwards to take advantage should the turnover be effected...

Not sure what Lloyd's status is post Nankervis 'intervention' but he would be the likely 'runner' with Blakely the interceptor I guess...need to see Sydney's team.

I wouldn't tag Liber btw...I would just let him get it and hold him in - he's been pretty careless flipping the ball out of the contest lately..

Lloyd out due to concussion