PDA

View Full Version : 3 things learned from Rd19 vs Essendon 2023

GVGjr
21-07-2023, 05:18 PM
Please list the 3 new things you learned from our round 19 game against Essendon

bulldogtragic
21-07-2023, 11:31 PM
1. West is what the MC thinks McNeil is
2. Smith looked switched on and powerful
3. Great to win. Frustrating to know dropped games we should’ve won would have us top 4.

EasternWest
21-07-2023, 11:35 PM
1. Jake Stringer is a special talent that's actually not very good.
2. The blazing irony of Luke Hodge saying he's helping someone with their "pronounciation".
3. I didn't learn this, but beating Essington is fun.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-07-2023, 11:45 PM
1. Surely the MC saw tonight Bruce is not the answer down back, even as a backup. He was very lucky that Essendon had no desire to move the ball quickly, otherwise he could've been in line for a career ending night on Peter Wright. As it was Wright had 3 goals on him, plus the one Langford kicked on him early when he expected English to him on the handover when he led out from the square.

2. Getting some miles into Ed Richards is going to be important in the run home.

3. When Jamarra fixes his goalkicking he's a bonafide top shelf talent for years to come, and I'm confident he will resolve it.

anfo27
22-07-2023, 02:01 AM
1. Don't get libba angry! Jakey boy thought he'd fire libba up in the first quarter & libba just turned on beast mode, while jakey might as well have been subbed off at quarter time.
2. JUH- Didn't quite end up with a bag of goals but his kicking was alot better tonight. Great to see.
3. I still hate Essendon & love owning that filth.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-07-2023, 02:41 AM
1 Evidence that our mids all playing well are awesome and unbeatable
2. Libbas knees and a premiership were not the end of him, noone can stop him
3 Weightman is gold, a great footballer, skiiled , balanced physically and mentally; just a delightful player.

jeemak
22-07-2023, 03:06 AM
1. People don't like Cody. My brother texted me after the game to congratulate me and called Cody out specifically as someone he hates. The guy kicked three in a relatively dirty game

2. Not really a learning, but if we control the game between arcs and win clearances we're so much less exposed defensively

3. Lobb is required. We can't have a soft second ruck, which unfortunately Khamis is (I'd take Dunkley over him any day of the week in the role)

merantau
22-07-2023, 10:03 AM
1. Treloar was very switched on tonight as were ALL our mids.
2. Boundary umpires are having a very poor season.
3. Poulter will be a player.

EasternWest
22-07-2023, 10:34 AM
1. People don't like Cody. My brother texted me after the game to congratulate me and called Cody out specifically as someone he hates. The guy kicked three in a relatively dirty game

They hate him cause they ain't him.

hujsh
22-07-2023, 11:41 AM

2. Not really a learning, but if we control the game between arcs and win clearances we're so much less exposed defensively

3. Lobb is required. We can't have a soft second ruck, which unfortunately Khamis is (I'd take Dunkley over him any day of the week in the role)

Essendon fans especially hate him for 21 because he got 4 frees and one of them was dodgy

bornadog
22-07-2023, 11:47 AM
1. We still need to improve our kicking when attacking forward of centre.

2. Umpires had a very good night and didn't influence the game

3. Second ruck - Lobb is still the one.

whythelongface
22-07-2023, 12:43 PM
1. Just an observation but when we get early leads in games we seem to get pegged back and often lose the game eg Pies, Suns, Cats, Swans but when we fall behind early we seem to be able to come home strong eg Bombers, North, Hawks- not always the case but definitely a bit of a pattern.
2. We have some wing options in Poulter, Williams, Baker and Gallagher (waiting in the wings) - all average to good but does provide some depth in this area. Can they all play in the one team? They need to be flexible in what role they play but at some stage can see them all playing in the seniors.
3. I would love to see Buku succeed but feel he is one of those that is too good for VFL but just can’t make the grade at the top level. In saying that I don’t see him being a 2nd ruck option

ledge
22-07-2023, 01:12 PM
1 khamis as a ruck, he isn’t one, Bevo might be destroying his confidence throwing him in like that .
If you’re going to bring in a player who is just making the grade as a back or forward why would you completely destroy him in the ruck ? Play Lobb instead .
2 Jamarra Is starting to get better and better.
3 We are in desperate need of Liam jones to come back.

macca
22-07-2023, 02:58 PM
1. Treloar was very switched on tonight as were ALL our mids.
2. Boundary umpires are having a very poor season.
3. Poulter will be a player.

I like what i saw of Poulter last night . He plays within his limitations and does not look lost when he has the ball. Did not seem to panic when under pressure either

He only got pinged once last night but that. was in heavy traffic.

Dry Rot
22-07-2023, 08:15 PM
1. Bruce is not a defender

2. Kharmis isn't the answer, whatever the question

3. Naughton, Cody and JUH could form the best forward line in the league, if we can find 3 other forwards to play with them and deliver the ball better

D Mitchell
22-07-2023, 08:24 PM
1. Bruce is not a defender

2. Kharmis isn't the answer, whatever the question

3. Naughton, Cody and JUH could form the best forward line in the league, if we can find 3 other forwards to play with them and deliver the ball better

1. Agree, wasted in defence. He was brought to the Club with a role in mind that appears to have now disappeared.
2. Maybe yes, maybe no. Bev's ruckmen are in the VFL unless handy around the ground. Last night's win a revival of the tall-mid-2nd-ruck ?
3. 3rd win in 8 ? hubris ? Let's see.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-07-2023, 10:16 PM
1. Poulter has a future. Easy to forget he's still only 20 and it can't be easy coming into an AFL program midway through the season and having to adapt on and off field. I get being with Footscray makes it an easier transition but he's started really well. Runs well, good endurance, composed, handles it well and kicks it well. With a preseason and more confidence I am hopeful he can become a good winger.

2. Marras improvement is really going unnoticed. Consistently getting 3-5 looks at goal a game, 11+ possessions a game in the last 9 weeks, great hands. At this rate of improvement, he can be one of the best forwards in the comp as soon as next year.

3. We do seem to consistently best the teams below us (mostly) but fall to the sides above us (mostly). Whether we can bridge the gap remains to be seen.

macca
23-07-2023, 12:13 AM
1. Poulter has a future. Easy to forget he's still only 20 and it can't be easy coming into an AFL program midway through the season and having to adapt on and off field. I get being with Footscray makes it an easier transition but he's started really well. Runs well, good endurance, composed, handles it well and kicks it well. With a preseason and more confidence I am hopeful he can become a good winger.

2. Marras improvement is really going unnoticed. Consistently getting 3-5 looks at goal a game, 11+ possessions a game in the last 9 weeks, great hands. At this rate of improvement, he can be one of the best forwards in the comp as soon as next year.

3. We do seem to consistently best the teams below us (mostly) but fall to the sides above us (mostly). Whether we can bridge the gap remains to be seen.

Great observations. After game interview , JUH did mention that he just needs to improve his kicking accuracy and he can get a bag k. I really like how he is demanding the ball now .

Better teams would have not allowed us to get back in the team with a 3 goal start like in the first quarter. Scoor , the coach , mentioned his young players look tired, or maybe they just soft???

AshMac
23-07-2023, 07:40 AM
1 Anthony Scott is quietly becoming an important and reliable player

2 the forward line is starting to look functional - Cody doesn?t jump at everything anymore, Jamarra and Naughton not competing w each other in the air. Some more composure on the kick in and a couple of other regulars and they?ll be a great unit

3 longer term midfield depth and key defenders are the big gaps in our list

ratsmac
24-07-2023, 07:46 PM
I learned

1. Bont was just taking the piss. Jogs from D50 to f50 grabs the ball one hand out of a pack, sells a dummy, snaps a goal. It's like shelling peas for the great man. And that's just one piece of play

2. No one can stop Libba when he's in that sort of mood. Riley West knows it too, that's why he passed it to Libba while he is still on the ground!

3. Naughts is going to be licking his lips in seasons to come because the number 1 key defender will be going to Marra. Marra's potential is quickly becoming reality right before our eyes. Once he sorts out his kicking radar he'll be the best in the comp before too long. Marra, Naughts and Flea are showing good signs of chemistry between them. A genuine crumber like K Pickett or Liam Ryan type would be number one on my wish list

EasternWest
24-07-2023, 07:48 PM
3. Naughts is going to be licking his lips in seasons to come because the number 1 key defender will be going to Marra. Marra's potential is quickly becoming reality right before our eyes. Once he sorts out his kicking radar he'll be the best in the comp before too long. Marra, Naughts and Flea are showing good signs of chemistry between them. A genuine crumber like K Pickett or Liam Ryan type would be number one on my wish list

It's a good point. If their trajectories continue the same way we could have two absolute gun forwards in peak form at the same time. That's terrifying.

azabob
24-07-2023, 08:50 PM
It's a good point. If their trajectories continue the same way we could have two absolute gun forwards in peak form at the same time. That's terrifying.

Well, if you want the Franklin and Roughead experience and not the McKay and Curnow you best get on the bandwagon of hitting the draft for young midfield talent.
We need to start now and not in a couple of years time.

It is a lonely bandwagon but the right bandwagon.

jeemak
24-07-2023, 08:58 PM
Well, if you want the Franklin and Roughead experience and not the McKay and Curnow you best get on the bandwagon of hitting the draft for young midfield talent.

You've never mentioned anything of the sort to date.

jeemak
24-07-2023, 09:01 PM
Not hearing any plaudits in the media for how well we've handled JUH over the journey, and I'm unlikely to. However, holding him back and making getting a senior game difficult for him at times has grounded him, and it seems he's aware that talent alone isn't going to get him where he needs to get to.

He's developing extremely well.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-07-2023, 09:32 PM
Not hearing any plaudits in the media for how well we've handled JUH over the journey, and I'm unlikely to. However, holding him back and making getting a senior game difficult for him at times has grounded him, and it seems he's aware that talent alone isn't going to get him where he needs to get to.

I know G has mentioned this several times, but the impact covid had on Jamarra's draft would have been big.

First they didn't play u18s. Then their first season in the afl was pretty much canned with no vfl/proper training. That's a huge setback.

To see him performing at this level now is very encouraging. I hope his upward trajectory continues and he and Naughton start causing real headaches for opposition defences. Add in Flea and hopefully Darcy (and maybe even Croft!), recruit a genuine crumbing forward and we've got a forward line for a long while.....just need the mids to go with it. Never thought I'd say that about the dogs.

AshMac
25-07-2023, 08:39 AM

100% agree. Midfield depth is my biggest concern with our list.

After that a solid 10 year KPD - don?t know if that?s busslinger or not because I haven?t seen him play yet.

And after that a small, crumbing forward

azabob
25-07-2023, 08:47 AM

I've heard plaudits in passing but don't expect anyone admitting they were wrong. Just a quick oh yeah, Beveridge handled him well.

Mofra
25-07-2023, 09:34 AM
1. Anyone who has a problem with our Footscray program has NFI. Gardner is our best KPD until Jones returns, Scott is versatile, and Poulter shows signs of becoming a best 22 player (even if he is one-sided)

2. It is now 6,898 days since 4 September 2004 which means we all should party on 4 November 2023, marking 7,000 days since Essendon last won a final.

3. Even in a terrible team performance, Ridley stood out for Essendon. We desperately need to trade for, or develop, a bona fide intercepting defender. In modern football the position is more important than a ruckman (and I hate typing that). We have to throw Busslinger to the wolves and give him a taste ASAP to see if he can play the role next year.

Mantis
25-07-2023, 10:45 AM
1. Anyone who has a problem with our Footscray program has NFI. Gardner is our best KPD until Jones returns, Scott is versatile, and Poulter shows signs of becoming a best 22 player (even if he is one-sided)

2. It is now 6,898 days since 4 September 2004 which means we all should party on 4 November 2023, marking 7,000 days since Essendon last won a final.

3. Even in a terrible team performance, Ridley stood out for Essendon. We desperately need to trade for, or develop, a bona fide intercepting defender. In modern football the position is more important than a ruckman (and I hate typing that). We have to throw Busslinger to the wolves and give him a taste ASAP to see if he can play the role next year.

1/ I have never heard anyone shit-can our VFL program.

3/ I would like to think we have a couple developing in Buss and JOD, and really think Richards (who is already our best interceptor) can take his game to a further level moving forward.

hujsh
25-07-2023, 11:00 AM

3/ I would like to think we have a couple developing in Buss and JOD, and really think Richards (who is already our best interceptor) can take his game to a further level moving forward.

Maybe the recruiting players from the VFL program? Personally I have no issue with taking players from it (though we seem to be reluctant to look outside it recently) but would prefer if we moved on the players that don't work faster (eg Hayes/McComb). Funnily it almost seems our mid season picks are working better than our rookie picks

ledge
25-07-2023, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=EasternWest;854596]It's a good point. If their trajectories continue the same way we could have two absolute gun forwards in peak form at the same time. That's terrifying.[/QUOTE

Bulldog4life
25-07-2023, 12:52 PM

I thought JOD was playing his best game for us until he went off with concussion.

Mantis
25-07-2023, 02:51 PM
I thought JOD was playing his best game for us until he went off with concussion.

Yep, he was looking promising in the 3rd tall role in defence.

We really botched his introduction into the team, but it's clear to see that he has the athletic gifts and skill-set to think he will be a good contributor for years to come.

Mofra
25-07-2023, 03:33 PM
You're doing well do avoid social media & BF - many are scathing of the rookie from Footscray pathway (poor Robbie McComb seems to be the biggest target these days though). Some of the Hayes talk was embarrassing

Mofra
25-07-2023, 03:35 PM
He just looks so raw, but you can see why the coaching staff are excited by what he could become.
I'm keen for Buss to get a taste of senior football before he gets his first AFL pre-season under his belt. Let him learn the level he needs to get to. I'm not convinced he's going to be ready as a KPD for quite a while but as as an intercept marker, well there's a spot available.