PDA

View Full Version : Bont behind the ball?

lemmon
21-07-2023, 09:39 PM
I'm not expecting to have many agree with this but I think it's time our Nathan Buckley became our Luke Hodge.

Our ability to both turnover and rebound the ball from our back half is abysmal and probably the aspect of our game that's most holding this side back. We've spoken about trying to add an intercepting ball user through free agency, and it's something we've struggled with since Easton Wood was in his prime, but Bont is potentially the prototype for that spot.

He's a terrific ball user and has outstanding vision with the game ahead of him, he's brave in the air, and would immediately add some steel and organisation to that back six. He'll do it in the air, provide run on the ground and his kicking from the D50 would be a huge weapon.

It is no doubt robbing Peter to pay Paul, but Paul is pretty destitute right now and there's a guy named Bailey Smith who'd love to step in and give Peter a hand.

Now, tell me why this is a terrible idea..

hujsh
21-07-2023, 09:47 PM
Haha, I think I suggested this. Everyone laughed at me.

I don't hate the idea. Whether now or more in his twilight

lemmon
21-07-2023, 09:49 PM
Haha, I think I suggested this. Everyone laughed at me.

I don't hate the idea. Whether now or more in his twilight

Your acolytes are growing hujsh - now I know who to blame for this terrible idea

hujsh
21-07-2023, 09:54 PM
Your acolytes are growing hujsh - now I know who to blame for this terrible idea

It it works you're my acolytes. If not you're all a bunch of crazies and I don't know you

EasternWest
21-07-2023, 10:44 PM
I'm not expecting to have many agree with this but I think it's time our Nathan Buckley became our Luke Hodge.

Our ability to both turnover and rebound the ball from our back half is abysmal and probably the aspect of our game that's most holding this side back. We've spoken about trying to add an intercepting ball user through free agency, and it's something we've struggled with since Easton Wood was in his prime, but Bont is potentially the prototype for that spot.

He's a terrific ball user and has outstanding vision with the game ahead of him, he's brave in the air, and would immediately add some steel and organisation to that back six. He'll do it in the air, provide run on the ground and his kicking from the D50 would be a huge weapon.

It is no doubt robbing Peter to pay Paul, but Paul is pretty destitute right now and there's a guy named Bailey Smith who'd love to step in and give Peter a hand.

Now, tell me why this is a terrible idea..

It's not a terrible idea. He's just too good to take out of the midfield for mine.

macca
21-07-2023, 11:26 PM
We need someone or a few who are capable to replace him

bulldogtragic
21-07-2023, 11:41 PM
He’s like Pavlich, play him anywhere and he will exceed. If we can cover it for period of time it is a nice luxury. Same as when he rests forward.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-07-2023, 11:42 PM
Bont was our best defender tonight. Our best mid. And just about our best forward. What a game.

anfo27
22-07-2023, 01:45 AM
No way! You play your best players in their best position. What we need to do is go out of way to get the ball in his hands more like the cats did with Ablett.

angelopetraglia
22-07-2023, 01:51 AM
He would excel in that role. I have no doubt. But is that where he can create the most value for us. Not for me at the moment. In the midfield. In a few more years, who knows.

We could have three of him. One in the midfield. One across half back. One across half forward.

lemmon
22-07-2023, 09:59 AM
He would excel in that role. I have no doubt. But is that where he can create the most value for us. Not for me at the moment. In the midfield. In a few more years, who knows.

We could have three of him. One in the midfield. One across half back. One across half forward.

Absolutely, I think that's the question. Clearly huge value in what he did over the final three quarters last night, but does the first quarter look different with Bont playing behind the ball? He seemed to float back there a lot more frequently than we've seen last night too. I think the transition from defensive 50 is the most important part of 2023 footy and it's why Collingwood has been so good.

I guess the Bont to the backline move also implies that the issue is with the way our backline uses and transitions the footy, rather than what's happening ahead of them.

hujsh
22-07-2023, 11:39 AM
Absolutely, I think that's the question. Clearly huge value in what he did over the final three quarters last night, but does the first quarter look different with Bont playing behind the ball? He seemed to float back there a lot more frequently than we've seen last night too. I think the transition from defensive 50 is the most important part of 2023 footy and it's why Collingwood has been so good.

I guess the Bont to the backline move also implies that the issue is with the way our backline uses and transitions the footy, rather than what's happening ahead of them.

NGL I was thinking about the Henry move and how he played against us (because I don't watch Fremantle or any other games) and if we do get him and use him in a similar fashion that may solve part of our transition issues without moving the Bont. If we have a winger who can push back and consistetly be the pressure release valve for the likes of Bruce, Gardner and Keath, kind of in a similar way to how we used to use Daniel, then we might be way better off. Of course that's assuming those three can get a handball to someone without putting them under immense pressure but...

I'm not sure the current wings of Williams or Baker could do this. Maybe Poulter but I think not quite.

azabob
22-07-2023, 12:11 PM
Simply NO.

Dare I say Bontempelli is career best form.

He naturally drifts back to help out anyway. Look at when he missed his set shot, then he intercepts the next passage of attacking play by Essendon and takes a brilliant overhead mark.

If we play him back 100% of the time we lose more games than we win. I truly believe that.

ledge
22-07-2023, 01:28 PM
He is a special talent , one I call a ground roamer . He knows where to go and when to go , I would say he is licenced to make those decisions himself.
Don’t hold him back by sticking him in one spot when he can have a say everywhere.
Most teams have a ground roamer . Pendlebury was one back in his elite years and the two Daicos boys are. Collingwood are blessed.
That kind of talent and game reader you just let them go to work and do their stuff.

lemmon
22-07-2023, 01:41 PM
He is a special talent , one I call a ground roamer . He knows where to go and when to go , I would say he is licenced to make those decisions himself.
Don’t hold him back by sticking him in one spot when he can have a say everywhere.
Most teams have a ground roamer . Pendlebury was one back in his elite years and the two Daicos boys are. Collingwood are blessed.
That kind of talent and game reader you just let them go to work and do their stuff.

N Daicos is an interesting one because that's who I'm envisioning as well - does he roam on his own accord or do McRae and co move him around in-game where he'll have most impact?

From what I'd seen earlier in the year, it felt like he'd start behind the ball - if he was getting worked over by a defensive forward he'd move on-ball and lose his player in congestion or they'd send him forward and funnel ball through him that way. It's never felt like he had a 'set' position - they just put him where the biggest fire was and where he could get more footy - but I always thought those moves were coming out of the coaches box.

We've used Bont a lot more traditionally - inside mid who will rest forward, whereas maybe there's more capacity to use him in the way that you suggest. During the first quarter last night when we're clearly struggling to transition from D50 in the first half, send him down to play as a dedicated half-bank flanker and bring Smith or Macrae up on-ball.

ledge
22-07-2023, 02:08 PM
N Daicos is an interesting one because that's who I'm envisioning as well - does he roam on his own accord or do McRae and co move him around in-game where he'll have most impact?

From what I'd seen earlier in the year, it felt like he'd start behind the ball - if he was getting worked over by a defensive forward he'd move on-ball and lose his player in congestion or they'd send him forward and funnel ball through him that way. It's never felt like he had a 'set' position - they just put him where the biggest fire was and where he could get more footy - but I always thought those moves were coming out of the coaches box.

We've used Bont a lot more traditionally - inside mid who will rest forward, whereas maybe there's more capacity to use him in the way that you suggest. During the first quarter last night when we're clearly struggling to transition from D50 in the first half, send him down to play as a dedicated half-bank flanker and bring Smith or Macrae up on-ball.

Daicos is very young he will be guided by the coach at the moment but I would say he already has been given some free run to do what he feels.
In the end his own knowledge of reading the game will tell him where he is needed in his head he doesn’t need the coach to tell him.
I would say Bont thinks ahead of Bevo anyway and has already summed up and done what Bevo wants before Bevo gets the idea in his head .

GVGjr
22-07-2023, 03:10 PM
Daicos is very young he will be guided by the coach at the moment but I would say he already has been given some free run to do what he feels.
In the end his own knowledge of reading the game will tell him where he is needed in his head he doesn’t need the coach to tell him.
I would say Bont thinks ahead of Bevo anyway and has already summed up and done what Bevo wants before Bevo gets the idea in his head .

The coach has confidence in his decision making skills and gives him a bit of scope on how he wants him to play.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2023, 10:52 PM
Or. Forward pocket.

JanLorMill
05-08-2023, 12:19 AM
Bont anywhere will do

angelopetraglia
05-08-2023, 12:42 AM
Three Bonts. One behind the ball. One in front of the ball. One on the ball.

Pottz
05-08-2023, 10:11 AM
There was a moment last night where Bont messed up a handball or something, really minor in the scheme of things. The ball went back the other way and he had every right to take a breath and jog it out.. next second he comes charging back through a scrum of players and forces a turnover. The guy is just breathtaking to watch.

The talk about Daicos is fine but surely this is Bont’s Brownlow year. Daicos looks elite partly because he’s so young, Bont has been elite for years and somehow keeps driving his game to new heights.

1eyedog
05-08-2023, 10:59 AM
Bont is at least 4 years away from this.

Bont is clearly the best player in the comp and after a mid-season trough is now absolutely flying.