PDA

View Full Version : 3 things learned from Rd 21 vs Richmond 2023

GVGjr
04-08-2023, 12:44 PM
Please list the 3 new things you learned from our game against Richmond.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2023, 11:26 PM
1. Lobb looks great with quick delivery
2. Bont is a great forward pocket
3. JOD had some really good moments tonight along with my boy West

Boots
04-08-2023, 11:34 PM
1. Quick ball movement means wins, tentative ball movement means death.
2. Jones is as essential as everyone says
3. The buzz around us will increase during the run home but we don’t have any more top eight teams to play (and play 16 and 18), so we need to be careful about how much of our own bath water we drink.

bonus learning: i very much enjoy watching us kick over 100 and demolish an opponent.

westdog54
04-08-2023, 11:37 PM
1. I honestly don't know where we'd be without Tom Libba.
2. There's no better feeling than making a statement in a big game.
3. Marra is a justified number 1 draft pick.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-08-2023, 11:47 PM
1. We are relatively consistent in beating sides below us, losing to those above us. Remains to be seen if we can roll the better sides when it matters.

2. Feeding off the above, we give ourselves a chance to win big games with Jones back and the trio of Dale, JJ and Richards. JJ did look a bit timid after he came back on so hopefully nothing that will keep him out. Regardless, if we're to do any damage, we can't afford to lose players to injury.

3. Again, feeding off the above, I wonder how we will look to set up against sides with genuine KPFs. I think they'll love pairing JOD with Jones for the athleticism, but there's no denying JOD is still very raw despite some impressive signs tonight.

AshMac
05-08-2023, 12:00 AM
1. We are still capable of fast moving and contested football. Best I?ve seen is play this year.

2. O?Donnell is raw potential. He is calm, skilful and athletic - impressive tonight for a kid w his miles

3. Our 2 man tackling was outstanding tonight.

Mantis
05-08-2023, 12:04 AM
1/ With clean ball our forwards can do some damage.

2/ We’ve missed Jones big time.

3/ Bailey Smith continues to underperform.

whythelongface
05-08-2023, 12:05 AM
1. We are still capable of fast moving and contested football. Best I?ve seen is play this year.

2. O?Donnell is raw potential. He is calm, skilful and athletic - impressive tonight for a kid w his miles

3. Our 2 man tackling was outstanding tonight.

This. Couldn’t have said it any better. JOD was great - very promising signs. Calm under pressure and some of his handballs were outstanding. Seem to be more flexible with him in rather than Keath and Gardner. Will be interesting to see how he goes against Geelong.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-08-2023, 12:27 AM
1. It's VDM's level of player, and below in the 22 who need to lift their performances each week, reliably, by 5-10%. We can't keep expecting Bont, Libba, Macrae, Daniel, or Treloar to all play out of their skin for us to challenge other teams.
If VDM, O'Donnell, Scott, Poulter, Lobb and West can do that, we become an objectively more dangerous team in coming weeks.

2. As much as there is talk and debate about perhaps 'wasting the Bont era', and it's a valid discussion topic to have.... our post-Bont era is potentially looking not too shabby. JUH, Naughton, B. Smith, Richards, Weightman, maybe West too, plus Darcy in the wings. I'm confident our List Management group would have plans to make sure we sensibly manage the list and get them locked down long term.

3. Caleb Daniel really must be quickly becoming opposition coaches worst nightmare match up wise, he's:

Elite by hand
Elite by foot
exceptional vision
creates time and space, in tough places - so agile
Reliable shot for goal
solid who tackles far above his size
can play genuinely in multiple roles at a high level of impact
and tonight outbodied and outmarked in a Richamond defender in a genuine one-on-one, stand-your-ground marking contest - Not enough football world acknowledgement for this guy's real worth amongst the game's elite.

3. O'Donnell's game tonight, showed me just why the Match Committee have been so resolute about getting him in and keeping him in the side. They must have complete confidence based on what they've seen and know of this young man to keep backing him in. His performance tonight tells me that all things being equal, he's got a great opportunity to earn himself a long term football career. He reminds me of a taller Easton Wood.

SonofScray
05-08-2023, 12:41 AM
1. JOD will make it as a defender. Good size and athletic ability. Has the requisite physicality and mindset. In a season where I have been very critical of the MC and senior coach, their work with him and decisions to invest games into him have been wise.

2. They are going to have to win a final to undo some of the damage they’ve done to my belief. Tonight was good, and we’ll always take a win, but I realised tonight just how down I am on the Club and footy at the moment. Was dressed and ready to go, then put the keys away and was going to bail. Then changed my mind and went out of a sense of duty. Would have liked to really get around that beautiful start, but just couldn’t. I don’t believe.

3. JJ and Jones are going to be the reason we win the flag this year. They are the teo Most important players in the sense of triggering a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts.

GVGjr
05-08-2023, 12:54 AM
1 - When we tackle well like we did tonight we can be a force in this competition
2 - When Rory Lobb plays like this he can be a difference maker for us
3 - We need to look past the stats sheet to understand how invaluable Liam Jones is to this side.

One more, great to see players who would best be regarded as 'much maligned' perform tonight.

bornadog
05-08-2023, 01:21 AM
1. We really missed Jones as well as Richards last week

2. JOD is impressive for such a young player

3. Bevo does have a plan B ;)

merantau
05-08-2023, 09:57 AM
1. Caleb Daniel with ball in hand lowers my heart rate.
2. Our defenders were excellent. Liam Jones, Dale, Richards, VDM, JOD, JJ combined well and launched attacks quickly.
3. We are back in the mix.

1eyedog
05-08-2023, 11:08 AM
1. JOD went past Gardner last night and with Jones back in I feel more comfortable playing him for the extra bit of composure and creativity he brings over Gardner's double fisters.

2. Rhylee West just needs to stay in the team. Not as a sub I mean best 22. Just give him some confidence through continuity.

3. Treloar is such a delight to watch. Very silky, beautifully balanced and integral to our push into September. Was defensively very good last night. Hope he stays fit.

hujsh
05-08-2023, 01:37 PM
1. JOD went past Gardner last night and with Jones back in I feel more comfortable playing him for the extra bit of composure and creativity he brings over Gardner's double fisters.

2. Rhylee West just needs to stay in the team. Not as a sub I mean best 22. Just give him some confidence through continuity.

3. Treloar is such a delight to watch. Very silky, beautifully balanced and integral to our push into September. Was defensively very good last night. Hope he stays fit.

It was nice to see him buy some time a few times and under pressure and use the ball positively on the wing as opposed to Gardner who now under any pressure only really knows to kick it as high as possible about 30 meters away and hope it's not to a crowd of opposition players (or that his long wind up doesn't result in a smother and pressure goal).

BornInDroopSt'54
05-08-2023, 01:43 PM
1 the club listened to Bartel about putting pressure on the kicker and came out firing.
2. I saw JODs future including these finals.
3. We are building at the right time. We've lost a few close ones and challenged all sides.

westbulldog
05-08-2023, 01:49 PM
1. If Libba retires and takes up Greco-Roman wrestling he will win a gold medal. He is the strongest, most effective and courageous in and under player since his old man.
2. Poulter has a cool head in general play, could be good for us.
3. How we missed the skill and athleticism of Liam Jones, 10 intercepts.

bornadog
05-08-2023, 02:09 PM
1. If Libba retires and takes up Greco-Roman wrestling he will win a gold medal. He is the strongest, most effective and courageous in and under player since his old man.

You do know Tony's twin brother was a champion wrestler.

SonofScray
05-08-2023, 02:20 PM
You do know Tony's twin brother was a champion wrestler.

Correct.

Caleb would beat Libba in both wrestling disciplines. Certain of it.

Dry Rot
05-08-2023, 05:26 PM
1. Agree with everything posted above about Daniel, but I would add that he seems to have more time and space than the other players.

2. JOD seems to be the real deal.

3. Making our tackle stick makes a big difference.

SonofScray
05-08-2023, 06:53 PM
1. Agree with everything posted above about Daniel, but I would add that he seems to have more time and space than the other players.

2. JOD seems to be the real deal.

3. Making our tackle stick makes a big difference.
Thought there was still plenty of poor efforts, though the intent had improved. RFC were bruise free after half time.

D Mitchell
05-08-2023, 07:06 PM
1. Getting the ball in quickly is the key to scoring
2. Pressure on the ball carrier as the ball leaves the forward line. That chase by Naughton. OK, he didn’catch the R’mond defender but that’s what ALL forwards should do ALL the time.
3. Liam Jones makes all the difference.

Bullies
05-08-2023, 07:46 PM
1. Our backline looks so much better with Jones, Richards, JJ and JOD. Super skills and they all want the ball. They have great closing speed and run. Compared to 2 weeks ago where we had Bruce, Keath and Gardner who are slow and ordinary skills. Makes such a difference. Gardner could come in if we are need to shut down a tall.

2. The spell in the 2's was the wake up call Lobbe needed. Happy to have the ball in his hands if 50m out.

3. When we move the ball quickly with fast hands we are elite instead of just kicking long bombs.