PDA

View Full Version : Unpopular takes

azabob
04-08-2023, 02:05 PM
A safe space to get off your chest what you think would be "Unpopular Takes" either on woof or in the real world.

I'll start,

1) I really like listening to The Tradies podcast of Sam McClure and Mitch Cleary discussing all things trades, historical looks at how certain big trades or contract signings went down.

2) I like hearing what Kane Cornes has to say - I don't always agree but like listening

3) David King is the best analyst in the game

Grantysghost
04-08-2023, 02:29 PM
I sometimes leave before the end.

I can't handle traffic anymore.

Phew... There's a load off!

G-Mo77
04-08-2023, 02:50 PM

You're better than me. I love Friday night footy when we play, sit on the coach, heater on, 6er in the fridge. I'm starting to like that more than actually going, not that I can anyway. Friday is basketball night and enjoy watching my son play more than anything.

azabob
04-08-2023, 02:56 PM

I actually hate Friday night home games.

I go but gee, by the end of the week I'm ready to put the feet up...

Grantysghost
You're better than me. I love Friday night footy when we play, sit on the coach, heater on, 6er in the fridge. I'm starting to like that more than actually going, not that I can anyway. Friday is basketball night and enjoy watching my son play more than anything.

It's definitely lost its magic going to the footy

azabob

Do you need to get off your chest your son is a better "baller" than you ;)

Grantysghost
04-08-2023, 02:58 PM
I actually hate Friday night home games.

I go but gee, by the end of the week I'm ready to put the feet up...

Yes! Same, just want to watch on TV.

G-Mo77
04-08-2023, 02:59 PM
Do you need to get off your chest your son is a better "baller" than you ;)

Haha. I've got a few years on him before he kicks my arse.

Boots
04-08-2023, 03:24 PM
2) I like hearing what Kane Cornes has to say - I don't always agree but like listening

Agree hard with #2. Cornes is reasonable, backs up what he says, changes his mind or backs down when he's proven wrong, and it's very, very easy to see when he's being 'sensationalist'.

I don't fully agree with #3 but I like Kingy and he says smart stuff.

bornadog
04-08-2023, 03:33 PM
1. I hate the lights flickering around the boundary, the loud PA with games at half time, Music at the footy - especially Marvel - really spoils the night.

2. Sick of negative supporters - they are now bigger whinges than Essendon supporters (maybe not) We make finals every year and they sook. Come back to the early 80s and see how much fun that was (not)

3. MSM - it is out of hand now.

Grantysghost
04-08-2023, 04:31 PM
Re the op my unpopular take would be Buku he's lucky to be on a vfl list.
Charlie Clarke, how was he so high in the draft.
I don't think Bont is a great kick.
West hasn't earned his arrogance.

lemmon
04-08-2023, 04:47 PM
A safe space to get off your chest what you think would be "Unpopular Takes" either on woof or in the real world.

I'll start,

1) I really like listening to The Tradies podcast of Sam McClure and Mitch Cleary discussing all things trades, historical looks at how certain big trades or contract signings went down.

I have the same guilty pleasure.

Mine is that I actually don't mind a lot of Caro's takes and think Gerard Healy tends to be pretty complimentary in the way he commentates Dogs games.

Mofra
04-08-2023, 05:15 PM
Our list has holes everywhere and we're about where we deserve to be on the ladder.

EasternWest
04-08-2023, 05:42 PM
Scraggers is actually a good bloke.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-08-2023, 07:18 PM
Totally subjective and I know many will disagree and its okay.

1. Keith Richards is a very overrated guitar player.

2. Gerard Whately is seen as some sorta sporting oracle.. when I think he's just a 'Tankstander'. one of those who I doubt could play and would've been shouting out from the sidelines with all sorts of expert view on what should be done.

3.I think Mel Jones and Callum Ferguson are much better cricket commentators than most who call the play on TV these days.

Scraggers
04-08-2023, 07:22 PM

Nah … overrated

Scraggers
04-08-2023, 07:24 PM

Does he mind?? He doesn’t look very comfortable

Grantysghost
04-08-2023, 07:31 PM
Totally subjective and I know many will disagree and its okay.

2. Gerard Whately is seen as some sorta sporting oracle.. when I think he's just a 'Tankstander'. one of those who I doubt could play and would've been shouting out from the sidelines with all sorts of expert view on what should be done.

3.I think Mel Jones and Callum Ferguson are much better cricket commentators than most who call the play on TV these days.

2. Omg absolutely, flog.

3. Mel Jones is a star. I really like Jason Bennet too for Aussie rules.

chef
04-08-2023, 07:33 PM
Charlie Clarke, how was he so high in the draft.

I remember Cody copping this too in his first season, was already written off as a flop. Got to give them a season first.

ReLoad
04-08-2023, 07:34 PM
This one stings;

This team we have is unlovable.

Grantysghost
04-08-2023, 07:42 PM
I remember Cody copping this too in his first season, was already written off as a flop. Got to give them a season first.

Yep I'm hoping I'm very wrong.

I never thought the same with Weightman. (I think don't look it up).

Grantysghost
04-08-2023, 07:43 PM
This one stings;

This team we have is unlovable.

Ouch. Individuals are, however as a collective hard to argue.

hujsh
04-08-2023, 07:52 PM

Charlie yet to have a pre-season too so lots of water to go under the bridge

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-08-2023, 12:52 AM
Another ppssibly unpopular point of view.

Taylor Duryea is not cooked, and I hope plays another year. I think he's somewhat harshly judged because he plays in a position where a mistake can immediately lead to an opposition score. As opposed to a player who occasionally belly's a snap from the forward pocket.

I reckon on the other side of his ledger, in the role he's asked to perform, he has a lot of fan-unnoticed positive stats to his name most weeks, that coaches rate. And for which they will overlook the occasional fubar.

GVGjr
05-08-2023, 12:55 AM
It's no good banging on about the rule changes, it is what it is and we just need to work within them.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-08-2023, 01:00 AM
It's no good banging on about the rule changes, it is what it is and we just need to work within them.

100%. I suspect most if not all AFL coaches adhere to this purely from a pragmatic point of view. To not get on with it would have otherwise dramatic impact on your team's ability to win football games.

The fans have the all care no responsibility position however in lamenting or despising them though.

GVGjr
05-08-2023, 01:06 AM
100%. I suspect most if not all AFL coaches adhere to this purely from a pragmatic point of view. To not get on with it would have otherwise dramatic impact on your team's ability to win football games.

The fans have the all care no responsibility position however in lamenting or despising them though.

You know I think it was a huge contributor leading up to Eade's departure. He went from exploiting rules changes like the quick kick ins after a point is scored and having us scoring the most coast-to-coast goals early in his coaching time with us to almost being paralyzed by any rule changes towards the end of his time with us. He really struggled with changes to the interchange.
Fans should of course express their views on rule changes but then get on with it.

bornadog
05-08-2023, 01:09 AM
Fans should of course express their views on rule changes but then get on with it.

Nah, the more complaints about the rules, the less likely the AFL will make them

SonofScray
05-08-2023, 01:19 AM
Ron Barassi and Kevin Sheedy don’t deserve the credit they get in the game.

The concussion stuff is hysterical.

Fans should be segregated at the footy.

1eyedog
05-08-2023, 10:57 AM

Can 100% vouch for this. He out drank me and then helped me stumble into the MCG on Grand Final day 2016.

mjp
05-08-2023, 02:13 PM

Yeah, but he is a MAGICAL guitar play.

And I?m sure you understand what I mean. Spend some time learning ?Love in Vain? then try to play it alongside the original and you will understand. He gets it wrong but it sounds so RIGHT...but if YOU match his notes and phrasing, well...it just sound wrong.

And, if you don?t agree, NETS!

meenies
05-08-2023, 02:44 PM
Charlie yet to have a pre-season too so lots of water to go under the bridge

needs to build a tank

G-Mo77
05-08-2023, 02:57 PM
Ron Barassi and Kevin Sheedy don?t deserve the credit they get in the game.

Fans should be segregated at the footy.

I think it's the old school footballer in me so I agree with this.

EasternWest
05-08-2023, 04:02 PM

I think it's the old school footballer in me so I agree with this.

You should ask Liam Picken if he agrees.

G-Mo77
05-08-2023, 04:27 PM
You should ask Liam Picken if he agrees.

Big difference to what we're seeing now. Out of last night Hopper and Scott would likely be fine to play a game of footy tonight but have to miss extended time. It just needs to be case by case for club doctors and the monitoring of players who have taken knocks.

EasternWest
05-08-2023, 04:46 PM
Big difference to what we're seeing now. Out of last night Hopper and Scott would likely be fine to play a game of footy tonight but have to miss extended time. It just needs to be case by case for club doctors and the monitoring of players who have taken knocks.

Disagree but you're an "old school footballer" and they always get it right so no point arguing the toss.

G-Mo77
05-08-2023, 04:57 PM
Disagree but you're an "old school footballer" and they always get it right so no point arguing the toss.

I think that's pretty unnecessary.

I'm not against it and saying they should send players out like piece of meat. I actually agree in subbing them out for the game like they're doing now. It's the time off afterwards that needs some work and should be a case by case situation.

EasternWest
05-08-2023, 05:07 PM

I'm not against it and saying they should send players out like piece of meat. I actually agree in subbing them out for the game like they're doing now. It's the time off afterwards that needs some work and should be a case by case situation.

Why? You made the claim as your qualification on the matter. I'm not meaning to be a smartarse, or rather I am but admit it sounds more like I'm attacking you than I mean to.

I think a lot more science and peer review goes into the decisions around it than "some bloke having an opinion on it" and I'm happy to leave it with the professionals that have actually trained in that field. Unless they're Port Adelaide "professionals".

azabob
05-08-2023, 05:09 PM
Surely I’m not the only one ready to confess our jumper last night was pretty bloody good. Diamond dogs rejoice.

josie
05-08-2023, 05:19 PM
Surely I’m not the only one ready to confess our jumper last night was pretty bloody good. Diamond dogs rejoice.

Spec savers or nets, choose.

If they keep playing like that though I don’t mind watching that eyesore of an outfit.

soupman
05-08-2023, 05:40 PM

Looked terrible in marketing material, looked great in the real thing.

Grantysghost
05-08-2023, 06:30 PM
Why? You made the claim as your qualification on the matter. I'm not meaning to be a smartarse, or rather I am but admit it sounds more like I'm attacking you than I mean to.

I think a lot more science and peer review goes into the decisions around it than "some bloke having an opinion on it" and I'm happy to leave it with the professionals that have actually trained in that field. Unless they're Port Adelaide "professionals".

I'm all for it. I played in the 90s, there was nothing even mentioned.
I reckon I was concussed at least 5 times in 100 games before I called it.

Centre half forward, you lead, midfielders kick over your head, you prop, stop and get clattered by a 100kg chb who really just wants to drive his elbows into the back of your head.

Yuk.

D Mitchell
05-08-2023, 06:47 PM
and whilst we are on concussion. Which way are kicking, son ?

D Mitchell
05-08-2023, 06:53 PM
Spec savers or nets, choose.

If they keep playing like that though I don’t mind watching that eyesore of an outfit.
But ONLY if…

Bulldog Joe
05-08-2023, 08:23 PM
I actually liked the jumper but think it was more to do with the shade of blue

Bulldog Joe
05-08-2023, 08:25 PM
Having watched about a half of the VFL today I think Cody Raak has more tools to succeed at AFL level than Buku Khamis

jeemak
05-08-2023, 08:26 PM

NETS! For some good old fashion concussion advocacy! Like Rocky V.

Grantysghost
05-08-2023, 08:33 PM
I actually liked the jumper but think it was more to do with the shade of blue

Oh yes I like that darker late 90s blue too.
Royal blue on the darker side.

chef
05-08-2023, 08:49 PM
Baz Smith is the most overrated player on our list and doesn't cop the same heat as others do.

Grantysghost
05-08-2023, 09:05 PM
Baz Smith is the most overrated player on our list and doesn't cop the same heat as others do.

https://media.giphy.com/media/zwkOgAI6utCZAxmaua/giphy-downsized-large.gif

Bulldog Joe
05-08-2023, 09:06 PM

Actually think the most over rated is Naughton and mostly by Naughton

jeemak
05-08-2023, 09:39 PM

I agree with the second bit. Of all the players on the list, even Smith, Naughton gives me the biggest self admiration vibe.

1eyedog
06-08-2023, 10:19 AM
Tagging Will Day this week.

chef
06-08-2023, 11:15 AM

I guess Naughtie can actually walk the walk though. No doubt he has the Dermie strut.

azabob
06-08-2023, 12:19 PM
Tagging Will Day this week.

Day reminds me so much of Bontempelli right down to his set shot goal kicking.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-08-2023, 07:59 PM
Yeah, but he is a MAGICAL guitar play.

And I?m sure you understand what I mean. Spend some time learning ?Love in Vain? then try to play it alongside the original and you will understand. He gets it wrong but it sounds so RIGHT...but if YOU match his notes and phrasing, well...it just sound wrong.

And, if you don?t agree, NETS!

I don't disagree with any of that. He's got a unique style that works. I just don't agree with the status he is often accorded as being a great guitar player. He's got great phrasing and timing, and he is comfortable with his style and playing within his limitations.

EasternWest
06-08-2023, 08:05 PM
I don't disagree with any of that. He's got a unique style that works. I just don't agree with the status he is often accorded as being a great guitar player. He's got great phrasing and timing, and he is comfortable with his style and playing within his limitations.

Yeah, he's no Brian May.

Grantysghost
06-08-2023, 08:24 PM
Yeah, he's no Brian May.

Or Eddie Vedder.

EasternWest
06-08-2023, 09:12 PM
Or Eddie Vedder.

C'mon now.

Grantysghost
06-08-2023, 09:44 PM
C'mon now.

Hey he knows all the open chords!

Brian May is a freak. Love him.

Mark Knopfler is the guy I need to see before he leaves us.

jeemak
06-08-2023, 10:07 PM
Hey he knows all the open chords!

Brian May is a freak. Love him.

Mark Knopfler is the guy I need to see before he leaves us.

Yeah, not only skilled but a distinctive sound like nobody else's.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-08-2023, 11:58 PM
I don't know if this is popular or unpopular but I enjoy watching the Matilda over the socceroos.

And while we're at it, I'd prefer to watch a women's professional cricket competition over the Big Bash dross.

1eyedog
08-08-2023, 07:48 AM
I hate Dire Straits

D Mitchell
08-08-2023, 09:20 AM
I hate Dire Straits
Is that because they get their money for nothing and chicks for free ?

Grantysghost
08-08-2023, 10:01 AM
I hate Dire Straits

I think you're in them with that take! ;)

Actually I love Knopfler but could live without Dire Straits. Brothers in arms is pretty special though.

Grantysghost
08-08-2023, 10:03 AM
I don't know if this is popular or unpopular but I enjoy watching the Matilda over the socceroos.

And while we're at it, I'd prefer to watch a women's professional cricket competition over the Big Bash dross.

How was the through ball for the first goal last night. My word.
Even my 86 year old mum is hooked on the Matildas and couldn't care less about the Socceroos.

Mofra
08-08-2023, 10:35 AM
I would rather give Roarke Smith a 12 month deal than sign Liam Henry

hujsh
08-08-2023, 10:44 AM
Onions are disgusting and ruin any food you can taste them in

EasternWest
08-08-2023, 11:00 AM

Nets.

Bulldog Joe
08-08-2023, 11:52 AM
How was the through ball for the first goal last night. My word.
Even my 86 year old mum is hooked on the Matildas and couldn't care less about the Socceroos.

I was just commenting that I have never seen a better set up kick executed.

The depth was sublime.

bornadog
08-08-2023, 12:00 PM
Nets.

double nets :D

hujsh
08-08-2023, 12:16 PM
Nets.

double nets :D

I'll go 2v1 my hate of onions will give me untold power

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-08-2023, 12:38 PM

I fervently disagree, but can appreciate how visceral the feelings certain foods can evoke in us are.
For me, and I know it's unpopular given how overwhelmingly aghast people look when I tell them, it's my utter contempt and disdain for cucumber.

Cucumber is in taste the personification of the feeling you get when an well-meaning, but annoying uncle who talks your ear off, arrives unannounced 5 minutes before the footy game you've been waiting for all week starts.

Cucumber just takes what would otherwise be an enjoyable food moment and just makes it less so.

People tell me 'it's 99% water it has hardly any taste, how can you hate it?'
Well that 1% that isn't water is doing All of the lifting, and I'm here to say it smells like a damp weed and tastes like mild disappointment, only juicier!
Nope cucumber can piss right off. Such a dismall weed.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-08-2023, 12:50 PM
I fervently disagree, but can appreciate how visceral the feelings certain foods can evoke in us are.
For me, and I know it's unpopular given how overwhelmingly aghast people look when I tell them, it's my utter contempt and disdain for cucumber.

Cucumber is in taste the personification of the feeling you get when an well-meaning, but annoying uncle who talks your ear off, arrives unannounced 5 minutes before the footy game you've been waiting for all week starts.

Cucumber just takes what would otherwise be an enjoyable food moment and just makes it less so.

Well that 1% that isn't water is doing All of the lifting, and I'm here to say it smells like a damp weed and tastes like mild disappointment, only juicier!

Sounds like triple nets.

hujsh
08-08-2023, 01:02 PM

I at least get where you're coming from with that one. Like it's fine, I'll eat something with cucumber in it. It's not better for it though

hujsh
08-08-2023, 01:03 PM
Sounds like triple nets.

I'll just have to Oldboy it. Take the entire forum the way I'm going

EasternWest
08-08-2023, 01:08 PM

Which is nothing compared to the power that onions give.

bornadog
08-08-2023, 01:18 PM

Secret weapon

https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/8786518a3ce5cd7ca13d229f6f6e2b0f

hujsh
08-08-2023, 01:33 PM
So we have the anti-onionists and the Tony Abottites.

Choose your side wisely

EasternWest
08-08-2023, 01:43 PM
So we have the anti-onionists and the Tony Abottites.

Choose your side wisely

Gary can you lock this thread this is getting out of hand?

Surely there's a step between anti onionist and going full blown nuclear and calling us Abbott acolytes?

https://i.postimg.cc/rp23DLw8/3ecf8b6dc954d118a16a84734e506375-w200.gif (https://postimages.org/)

This is the response that criteria deserves.

Mantis
08-08-2023, 01:44 PM
I would rather give Roarke Smith a 12 month deal than sign Liam Henry

Can we have neither?

1eyedog
08-08-2023, 02:02 PM

Agreed Cucumber is basically bad tasting hard water.

Grantysghost
08-08-2023, 02:15 PM
Mash is better than chips.

There.. I said it.

Dry Rot
08-08-2023, 02:41 PM
1. I went to a Giants home game and enjoyed myself.

2. As someone else said, Baz Smith is overrated and it will be interesting to review his draft year now and re-order how we see them.

3. Gardner is a bit better than many here think.

4. Following on from that, our backline is far from brilliant, but most of our defensive sins rest with the midfield and forward line defensive pressure.

5. I like Chad Warner.

6. As someone else said, going to the footy these days is really unpleasant with the loud speaker noise and flashing lights.

7. Aside from first round picks, our recruiting has been crap since Darylmple left.

EasternWest
08-08-2023, 03:00 PM

There.. I said it.

Nets

SquirrelGrip
08-08-2023, 03:03 PM
1. I'd be happy to have Toby Greene in our team.

2. Hitouts really don't matter in the ruck contest. Tim English is doing just fine, and Rory Lobb is the right fit for a #2 to cover 5-10 minutes here and there.

3. I love going to the footy and watching our team at Marvel.

4. Even if he had a post for the status of Players' Contract, I don't think anyone would look at it or know that it was there.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-08-2023, 03:17 PM

There.. I said it.

Nets.

This thread will turn the nets into a royal rumble.

mjp
08-08-2023, 03:26 PM
2. As someone else said, Baz Smith is overrated and it will be interesting to review his draft year now and re-order how we see them.

Yeah, well...depending on your thoughts on:

Toby Bedford, Connor Idun, Lachie Schultz, Nick Hind, Jack Ross, Tom Berry, Keiren Briggs, James Rowbottom, Bobby Hill, Xavier Duursma and Chayce Jones you might find it isn't much different.

Butters was in that draft (about 10 I think) and would jump Smith and more than a few others...but the ones ahead of Baz - Sam Walsh, King twins, Rankine, Rozee and Lukosious prob stay there...and the ones below him (Tarryn Thomas, Jackson Hately, Jordan Clark, Jye Caldwell) prob stay there...

It's a funny draft year and there isn't much in the rookie draft selections...cat b had O'Connor (Cats) and Callum Brown (Giants) I guess but there are a LOT of misses there...

And yes, it's very sad that I can kind of rattle this off.

I know Stack was picked late to my eternal relief at the time but that hasn't really stood the test of time now, has it?

Bulldog Revolution
08-08-2023, 03:37 PM
1. I went to a Giants home game and enjoyed myself.

Was it a final in 2016?

JanLorMill
08-08-2023, 07:02 PM
1. I'd be happy to have Toby Greene in our team.

2. Hitouts really don't matter in the ruck contest. Tim English is doing just fine, and Rory Lobb is the right fit for a #2 to cover 5-10 minutes here and there.

3. I love going to the footy and watching our team at Marvel.

4. Even if he had a post for the status of Players' Contract, I don't think anyone would look at it or know that it was there.
Not sure any of those are unpopular takes

soupman
08-08-2023, 07:37 PM
Toast sucks.

Dry Rot
08-08-2023, 07:47 PM

Toby Bedford, Connor Idun, Lachie Schultz, Nick Hind, Jack Ross, Tom Berry, Keiren Briggs, James Rowbottom, Bobby Hill, Xavier Duursma and Chayce Jones you might find it isn't much different.

Butters was in that draft (about 10 I think) and would jump Smith and more than a few others...but the ones ahead of Baz - Sam Walsh, King twins, Rankine, Rozee and Lukosious prob stay there...and the ones below him (Tarryn Thomas, Jackson Hately, Jordan Clark, Jye Caldwell) prob stay there...

It's a funny draft year and there isn't much in the rookie draft selections...cat b had O'Connor (Cats) and Callum Brown (Giants) I guess but there are a LOT of misses there...

I know Stack was picked late to my eternal relief at the time but that hasn't really stood the test of time now, has it?

Thanks.

Certainly hard to see the ones below jump Smith.

Notwithstanding all that, do you think Smith is over rated as player?

Has had pretty ordinary 2023 season.

azabob
08-08-2023, 08:53 PM
Toast sucks.

So what do you have for breakfast? Do you eat sandwiches?

Go_Dogs
08-08-2023, 09:00 PM

A lot of this is role dependent and other things to thought right.

If Smith was playing for Port, he?d probably be racking 30+ a week and getting all the plaudits. I actually agree with you that Butters and Rozee are probably better footballers at the moment because I trust
Their decision making, composure and disposal under pressure a lot more than Smith, however it?s arguable and they perhaps haven?t got the proven finals match winner ability Smith has.

Rankine? meh not convinced yet.
Lukosious, probably because he?s tall and good albeit still inconsistent.

It?s a really interesting draft in many ways because the recruiters have largely got it right with minimal surprises mid / late or total busts early. One of the few times that?s happened.

I also still think Smith has a bloody high ceiling.

mjp
08-08-2023, 09:14 PM
Notwithstanding all that, do you think Smith is over rated as player?

I'm not sure what "everyone" is expecting him to do.

I don't think he is a particularly natural footballer - what is he then? Well, he's a great runner with a strong work-rate. He gets the footy by getting up and back and simply out-running/out-working his oppo. He isn't a super instinctive player who gets to the right spots and is rewarded (which you see players like Macrae and Treloar able to do) and whilst he is a good contested footy player he is a bit see ball get ball and is a fair way down the list of inside mids...

So we have a player who isn't really a natural at finding space playing in a role best suited to players who are at their best just 'knowing' where they need to be in order to win possession...I think he's battled away pretty solidly given the cards he's been dealt and because of his high off-field profile he is a bit of a lightning rod for criticism.

Does Bailey need to play 'better'?? I mean, I guess. But if we are asking a player who is a good kick but doesn't have great on-field 'vision' to suddenly become some kind of savant when it comes to spotting up targets through the midfield/inside 50 then we are probably destined for disappointment. IF we could become a little more predictable with setup ahead of the ball then (I think) Smith is a good enough player to 'learn' that structure and hit the 'spot' with his kicking...but he is not going to be a spot up kicker...he just isn't.

I don't know really. I have a lot of thoughts about Smith, JJ and Bailey Williams and how they are used and I don't think we always set them up for success....JJ's been SOOOOO much better since he was just put back to half back - it shouldn't be that hard to find similar in box for the other 2.

Grantysghost
08-08-2023, 10:44 PM
Smith is awesome, I mean the content is fresh, there's flesh and usually some type of contemporary nod that makes me feel connected to the kids.

We are talking insta right?

Mofra
08-08-2023, 10:49 PM
Smith is awesome, I mean the content is fresh, there's flesh and usually some type of contemporary nod that makes me feel connected to the kids.

We are talking insta right?
I think we generally underrate players who cover ground well. TVs don't capture it. I'd love it if Kayo could at least provide some gametime from behind the goals vision as it really gives a better sense of what players are doing on the paddock.

How Freo didn't move heaven and earth to keep Langdon still mystifies me.

MrMahatma
08-08-2023, 10:58 PM
Reckon we lose this week.

Bulldog Joe
08-08-2023, 11:11 PM
Toast sucks.

I like it soup so you can suck toast.

I don't see how your user name could have it any other way.;)

Dry Rot
09-08-2023, 12:39 AM
I'm not sure what "everyone" is expecting him to do.

I don't think he is a particularly natural footballer - what is he then? Well, he's a great runner with a strong work-rate. He gets the footy by getting up and back and simply out-running/out-working his oppo. He isn't a super instinctive player who gets to the right spots and is rewarded (which you see players like Macrae and Treloar able to do) and whilst he is a good contested footy player he is a bit see ball get ball and is a fair way down the list of inside mids...

So we have a player who isn't really a natural at finding space playing in a role best suited to players who are at their best just 'knowing' where they need to be in order to win possession...I think he's battled away pretty solidly given the cards he's been dealt and because of his high off-field profile he is a bit of a lightning rod for criticism.

Does Bailey need to play 'better'?? I mean, I guess. But if we are asking a player who is a good kick but doesn't have great on-field 'vision' to suddenly become some kind of savant when it comes to spotting up targets through the midfield/inside 50 then we are probably destined for disappointment. IF we could become a little more predictable with setup ahead of the ball then (I think) Smith is a good enough player to 'learn' that structure and hit the 'spot' with his kicking...but he is not going to be a spot up kicker...he just isn't.

I don't know really. I have a lot of thoughts about Smith, JJ and Bailey Williams and how they are used and I don't think we always set them up for success....JJ's been SOOOOO much better since he was just put back to half back - it shouldn't be that hard to find similar in box for the other 2.

Thanks.

How do you think we should be using Smith given what you said, to get the best out of him?

Mofra
09-08-2023, 09:56 AM
Thanks.

How do you think we should be using Smith given what you said, to get the best out of him?
His best games this year have been as a 'run-with' player. His game on Cripps was a masterclass on how to play on him.

Perhaps it goes to what mjp says about Smith - his workrate is top-notch so when he gets led to the right spots he's a very good player?

mjp
09-08-2023, 10:40 AM
Thanks.

I don't think his current 'role' is terrible for him (start at half forward, extra at the stoppage etc) BUT I think he needs a more focussed role. We are playing Hawthorn this week and I think we need to get him onto Weddle who is super aggressive with his run from that hb line. I would be doing the same thing most weeks to be honest - trying to get him on the best oppo running defender...not as a shut down, just as a reference point/opponent.

I think he's a disciplined player who does play for the team and would be pretty much prepared to do anything asked of him.

I understand some of the frustration with his performances but I really believe a lot of that is due to with some expectations more than anything else...

Bullies
09-08-2023, 10:42 AM
Reckon we lose this week. Not a chance. Best thing to happen to us was Hawks beat Collingwood. Keeps us on our toes and we know what to prepare for.

Collingwood would have been coming off a big training block as well over the past month as they can't lose a top 2 spot. They are looking at finals whereas we are looking at winning at all costs just to make finals.

Hawks are a young team and so are inconsistent.

If we lose we don't deserve to be in the finals so all on the players and coaching team.

Mantis
09-08-2023, 10:45 AM
I don't think his current 'role' is terrible for him (start at half forward, extra at the stoppage etc) BUT I think he needs a more focussed role. We are playing Hawthorn this week and I think we need to get him onto Weddle who is super aggressive with his run from that hb line. I would be doing the same thing most weeks to be honest - trying to get him on the best oppo running defender...not as a shut down, just as a reference point/opponent.

I think he's a disciplined player who does play for the team and would be pretty much prepared to do anything asked of him.

I understand some of the frustration with his performances but I really believe a lot of that is due to with some expectations more than anything else...

I have been and continue to be critical of his kicking and his inability to get the ball to a teammate. The last 2 weeks he’s had 12 kicks & 31 handballs… do you think he’s heard the media criticism of his kicking, specifically when going I50 and made a conscious decision to handball more?

Bulldog4life
09-08-2023, 11:54 AM

Bevo mentioned just recently that some players were sacrificing their own game for what is best for the team.

mjp
09-08-2023, 12:28 PM
I have been and continue to be critical of his kicking and his inability to get the ball to a teammate. The last 2 weeks he’s had 12 kicks & 31 handballs… do you think he’s heard the media criticism of his kicking, specifically when going I50 and made a conscious decision to handball more?

Not really...I think he plays the game on it's merits tbh and handballs when it's on...he's a first option release player and (I think) a good team-mate.

I totally get your criticism but I think his kicking is fine. I just don't see him as a precision player who has that innate ability to 'see' a target and he makes his mistakes long (blast away) rather than short.

I just think we all want him to be something he isn't. He doesn't see the ground like Caleb Daniel and - even if he did - he plays within himself so wont try to hit those 'left of centre' type targets because he would rather go long to a contest than turn-it-over short. It's who he is.

jazzadogs
09-08-2023, 01:55 PM
Toast sucks.

A girl at work toasts her bread on a Sunday night and reheats it in the microwave each day for morning tea. I don't think it's unpopular to say that's crazy.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-08-2023, 02:00 PM
A girl at work toasts her bread on a Sunday night and reheats it in the microwave each day for morning tea. I don't think it's unpopular to say that's crazy.

Gosh. That's a hate crime against bread.

Grantysghost
09-08-2023, 02:05 PM

OMG. We need to close this thread it's becoming too dark.

EasternWest
09-08-2023, 02:16 PM

I mean it's clear she needs an intervention/exorcism.

Mofra
09-08-2023, 03:32 PM
Bevo mentioned just recently that some players were sacrificing their own game for what is best for the team.
Macrae front of mind for that, surely. Spending a lot of time outside of the centre square.

Bulldog4life
09-08-2023, 03:39 PM
Macrae front of mind for that, surely. Spending a lot of time outside of the centre square.

Both I would say.

azabob
09-08-2023, 04:09 PM
For those who have requested this thread be closed I feel personally attacked.

Grantysghost
09-08-2023, 04:10 PM

Are you saying it's an unpopular take?

azabob
09-08-2023, 04:13 PM
Are you saying it's an unpopular take?

I can't believe I missed that...

EasternWest
09-08-2023, 04:16 PM

I like aza and wish he'd post more.

Now top that for an unpopular take.

D Mitchell
09-08-2023, 04:50 PM
Closed ? This is the best thread on the site, the goto first thread.

EasternWest
09-08-2023, 05:05 PM
Closed ? This is the best thread on the site, the goto first thread.

There were some onion related travesties that warranted a close look as to whether this thread should be shut down for it's own good.

HOSE B ROMERO
09-08-2023, 08:02 PM
Toast sucks.

Oh come on...toast is the best!

HOSE B ROMERO
09-08-2023, 08:10 PM
1. Coffee tastes terrible.

2. Beer is worse.

3. Prince's music

4. Netflix

EasternWest
09-08-2023, 08:28 PM
Toast sucks.

Let's cross to Raw Toast for his opinion.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-08-2023, 09:42 PM

2. Beer is worse.

3. Prince's music

4. Netflix

I agree on points 1 and 2

hujsh
09-08-2023, 11:34 PM

2. Beer is worse.

3. Prince's music

4. Netflix
Coffee needs milk and a sweetener then the flavour is nice but agree 100% with number 2.

1eyedog
10-08-2023, 08:55 AM

There.. I said it.

You're drunk and need an afternoon nap.

MrMahatma
10-08-2023, 01:36 PM

2. Beer is worse.

3. Prince's music

4. Netflix

Behind footy, my next 2 biggest loves in life are Beer and Coffee.

Beer is amazing :)

Mofra
10-08-2023, 02:15 PM
Nick Larkey is as good as any KPF in the competition and should be in the same conversation as Charlie Curnow, Oscar Allen & Aaron Naughton

ledge
10-08-2023, 02:54 PM
Parish is as good as the Bont.
Has to be a huge unpopular take by everyone who doesn’t support the bombers.

The bulldog tragician
10-08-2023, 03:05 PM
This is a bridge too far. I mean, toast, beer, whatevs, but this is sacrilege.

And Bombres fans absolutely can’t stand Parish, seeing him as soft and unskilled.

chef
10-08-2023, 03:23 PM

Cmon man, too far.

Mantis
10-08-2023, 03:50 PM
parish is as good as the bont.

wtf!

Mofra
10-08-2023, 04:23 PM
Enjoi ur ban.

I doubt I could even find a bombers fan who would think that.

josie
10-08-2023, 04:36 PM
Nick Larkey is as good as any KPF in the competition and should be in the same conversation as Charlie Curnow, Oscar Allen & Aaron Naughton

Don’t watch enough North games to agree but from what I have seen I tend to agree.

D Mitchell
10-08-2023, 04:44 PM
Has to be a huge unpopular take by everyone who doesn?t support the bombers.

Whilst I doubt you'll find any agreement with the content, that you posted it vidicates the Thread. Well done.

EasternWest
10-08-2023, 04:53 PM

I almost actually agree. He's great.

https://i.postimg.cc/SRXgX9vt/jerry-seinfeld-nope.gif (https://postimages.org/)

bulldogsthru&thru
10-08-2023, 05:27 PM

This comment scares me too much to even take it to the nets.

EasternWest
10-08-2023, 08:35 PM
This comment scares me too much to even take it to the nets.

As much as I hate it I applaud ledge for getting eyeballs deep into the spirit of the thread.

1eyedog
10-08-2023, 09:03 PM
Has to be a huge unpopular take by everyone who doesn?t support the bombers.

You're cancelled

1eyedog
10-08-2023, 09:05 PM

Agreed. 50+ goals against AFL elite key backs in a VFL team is incredible.

Spends too much time on hair though.

ledge
11-08-2023, 05:53 PM
Haha you blokes are funny . Of course the Parish is better than Bont only comes from bombers supporters when they win , when they lose he needs to be delisted.
Remember the bombers are apparently sacrificing short term for long term success. Meaning bringing Tippa back was insanely proving the opposite.
Don’t shoot the messenger !
It’s hilarious

bornadog
11-08-2023, 08:44 PM
Haha you blokes are funny . Of course the Parish is better than Bont only comes from bombers supporters when they win , when they lose he needs to be delisted.
Remember the bombers are apparently sacrificing short term for long term success. Meaning bringing Tippa back was insanely proving the opposite.
It’s hilarious

I thought it was funny Ledge and got a few people stirred up

EasternWest
11-08-2023, 09:00 PM
It’s hilarious

I think it's funny too, but I think you should have stuck with the heel turn for one more post and really doubled down.

Boots
15-08-2023, 06:54 PM
My unpopular take: Winning a prelim is better than winning a grand final (though losing a grand final is worse than losing a prelim).

if you win a prelim you have a week of anticipation and possibility. If you win a grand final you’ve just got six months of no footy.

a corollary: we would have been better to lose the prelim against port in 2021 gallantly than lose the grand final the way we did.

azabob
15-08-2023, 07:27 PM
My unpopular take: Winning a prelim is better than winning a grand final (though losing a grand final is worse than losing a prelim).

if you win a prelim you have a week of anticipation and possibility. If you win a grand final you’ve just got six months of no footy.

a corollary: we would have been better to lose the prelim against port in 2021 gallantly than lose the grand final the way we did.

Boots, is it better to have loved and had your heart broken or not to have loved at all?

So is it #1 or #3 for you? don't the cancel each other out?

Boots
15-08-2023, 09:25 PM
Boots, is it better to have loved and had your heart broken or not to have loved at all?

So is it #1 or #3 for you? don't the cancel each other out?

Aza I wish I could be logical about this one, but it's all just gut feel. I've always preferred the excitement of possibility to the certainty of resolution.

Probably explains why I'm still resolutely single into my 40s.

mjp
15-08-2023, 10:15 PM

I didn't like 2021. If we're gonna play like that, I would rather not win any prelims.

Actually, I take that back. I would still rather make it than not but sitting in the stands whilst Melbourne ran riot and rubbed our noses in it was zero fun. ZERO.

1eyedog
15-08-2023, 10:21 PM
100%. Never knowing what it felt like to lose a Grand Final I was totally unprepared for how much it burns away inside you.

I've been clutching to the faint hope ever since that we can win a final and start to erase some of the melancoly, but now it seems I'm entering a new phase where I'm carrying repeated finals failures and the shit stain that was 2021 forward at the same time.

I don't like Grand Finals at all when we lose them and this one wasn't even real.

jeemak
15-08-2023, 11:16 PM
There are two good things about the 2021 grand final, and they are the fact Melbourne supporters didn't get to live it in person, and that it has the biggest asterisk of all time next to it.

The rest of it hurt so much.

1eyedog
16-08-2023, 09:57 AM
There are two good things about the 2021 grand final, and they are the fact Melbourne supporters didn't get to live it in person, and that it has the biggest asterisk of all time next to it.

The rest of it hurt so much.

A Melbourne supporting mate said this exact same thing to me on the weekend. They didn't get to see it.

Sedat
16-08-2023, 10:29 AM
I didn't like 2021. If we're gonna play like that, I would rather not win any prelims.

Actually, I take that back. I would still rather make it than not but sitting in the stands whilst Melbourne ran riot and rubbed our noses in it was zero fun. ZERO.
I can only imagine what that absolutely catastrophic last 8 minutes of the 3rd qtr of the GF looked like live in the stands. It's the worst 8 minutes our team under Bevo has ever played, and it couldn't have been worse timed.

For mine, it still doesn't take away from our PF and SF victories in 2021. The 1st half against Port is the best football I have ever seen the Dogs play in my 51 years alive - it was total destruction and domination, brilliant skill and strength, and it was done in hostile territory and in the most difficult week of the year to win (which it is - we lost 7 PF's in a row in 25 years from 1985-2010). And the win against Brisbane the week prior on their own dunghill was full of character and courage - they barely lose at the Gabba at the best of times and we hung tough against a probably more talented opponent with weapons everywhere.

bornadog
16-08-2023, 10:40 AM
I can only imagine what that absolutely catastrophic last 8 minutes of the 3rd qtr of the GF looked like live in the stands. It's the worst 8 minutes our team under Bevo has ever played, and it couldn't have been worse timed.

For mine, it still doesn't take away from our PF and SF victories in 2021. The 1st half against Port is the best football I have ever seen the Dogs play in my 51 years alive - it was total destruction and domination, brilliant skill and strength, and it was done in hostile territory and in the most difficult week of the year to win (which it is - we lost 7 PF's in a row in 25 years from 1985-2010). And the win against Brisbane the week prior on their own dunghill was full of character and courage - they barely lose at the Gabba at the best of times and we hung tough against a probably more talented opponent with weapons everywhere.

It was even more amazing, considering we travelled Melbourne- Launceston, Launceston to Brisbane and not even allowed out of our rooms, then had to Fly to Perth to dodge some Covid rules before we flew into Adelaide for the prelim, and finally Adelaide to Perth for GF. Mentally we were shot.

I don't think any team has endured a travelling schedule like that. All finals should have been played in Perth.

azabob
06-09-2023, 06:23 PM
I am OK with Josh Dunkley winning another premiership and have no bitterness or animosity towards him.

bornadog
06-09-2023, 06:28 PM
i am ok with josh dunkley winning another premiership and have no bitterness or animosity towards him.

boooooooooo :D:D

Rocket Science
06-09-2023, 07:01 PM
I am OK with Josh Dunkley winning another premiership and have no bitterness or animosity towards him.

I'm a petty, lesser man so can't share your lack of antipathy towards the bloke but would dearly love to see him gloating on the dais in a month if it helps light some sort of fire under our blokes.

josie
06-09-2023, 07:52 PM
I'm a petty, lesser man so can't share your lack of antipathy towards the bloke but would dearly love to see him gloating on the dais in a month if it helps light some sort of fire under our blokes.

Players shouldn’t need that to spur them on.

It’s the way he tried to leave earlier to Bummers that made me angry. That and the fact I just find him annoying (even when he played for us he was one of my least liked, felt he was a cardboard cutout somehow, cannot really say why). With benefit of hindsight would like to have seen him go to Bummers and enjoy being a champ in a poor team. I don’t hold animosity towards most exes eg Lipinski, Schache, Young, Hunter - wish them well.

Twodogs
06-09-2023, 08:01 PM
. Friday is basketball night and enjoy watching my son play more than anything.

I still play indoor sports even though I'll be 60 next year-ive gone from being an overly competitive middle aged bloke to an overly competitive old bloke.

I play indoor handball and soccer. Last year I was goal keeping in an indoor soccer game and all of a sudden my son is running at me with the ball an his feet. I remember thinking that there can't be anything better than this.

Anyway he lobbed it over my shoulder into the back of the net and made me look a proper git. Obviously he regretted it as he walked home.

Rocket Science
06-09-2023, 08:06 PM
Players shouldn?t need that to spur them on.

In furious agreement Josie, they shouldn't, but this mob plainly needs something to maintain the rage.

Maybe it's watching a once valued teammate lift a cup in different colours.

Twodogs
06-09-2023, 08:11 PM
Toast sucks.

Vinegar tastes great on steak and roast beef

Twodogs
06-09-2023, 08:12 PM
In furious agreement Josie, they shouldn't, but this mob plainly needs something to maintain the rage.

Maybe it's watching a once valued teammate lift a cup in different colours.

No. I get the feeling they'd be really happy for him and then forget all about it inside a fortnight.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-09-2023, 08:41 PM
No. I get the feeling they'd be really happy for him and then forget all about it inside a fortnight.

I really hope we're not that team where decent enough players come to cruise through a career and get paid well doing it.

Sedat
19-09-2023, 02:56 PM
Now that we are in danger of potentially not adding another premiership in the near future, in hindsight I really don't like history forever documenting Bob Murphy raising the 2016 premiership cup alongside Easton Wood. That was an iconic, historic moment that should have been between senior coach and captain on the day (and majority of the season). It was Bevo's moment and Bob was all too eager to remain on the podium with Easton.

I know Bevo initiated it but Bob should have read the room and quietly exited stage left to allow Bevo his moment to raise the cup with Easton. Bevo already brought Bob to the podium and acknowledged his significant contribution in his speech - IMO Bob didn't deserve the additional "me time" of holding the cup aloft, which to be frank he had very little to do with on-field throughout the season (and nothing to do with on GF day).

I know I'm shooting Bambi but the thread is called "Unpolular Takes" ;)

bulldogtragic
19-09-2023, 03:02 PM
Now that we are in danger of potentially not adding another premiership in the near future, in hindsight I really don't like history forever documenting Bob Murphy raising the 2016 premiership cup alongside Easton Wood. That was an iconic, historic moment that should have been between senior coach and captain on the day (and majority of the season). It was Bevo's moment and Bob was all too eager to remain on the podium with Easton.

I know Bevo initiated it but Bob should have read the room and quietly exited stage left to allow Bevo his moment to raise the cup with Easton. Bevo already brought Bob to the podium and acknowledged his significant contribution in his speech - IMO Bob didn't deserve the additional "me time" of holding the cup aloft, which to be frank he had very little to do with on-field throughout the season (and nothing to do with on GF day).

Great unpopular nomination for this thread, but I will take some time to think it over before opining myself.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-09-2023, 03:12 PM

I tend to agree. If you watch closely, Bevo actually goes to raise the cup with Easton (and possibly jointly with Murph) but Murph is overly enthusiastic and forgets Bevo is even there.

Sedat
19-09-2023, 03:15 PM
I tend to agree. If you watch closely, Bevo actually goes to raise the cup with Easton (and possibly jointly with Murph) but Murph is overly enthusiastic and forgets Bevo is even there.
Bevo already gave him his coaches medal - I reckon that's more than enough reward and acknowledgement. The Bevo speech and the initial embrace with Bob was a poignant and beautiful moment - Bob's presence should have ended there IMO.

It's a total hindsight call on my behalf - I was in absolute raptures at the MCG on the day.

Grantysghost
19-09-2023, 03:16 PM

Yep, was a running joke with my friend circle for ages.
Poor Bevo got shafted. His arm moves towards grabbing it then he stops.

Grantysghost
19-09-2023, 03:17 PM
Bevo already gave him his coaches medal - that's more than enough reward and acknowledgement. The Bevo speech and the initial embrace with Bob was poignant and beautiful - Bob's presence should have ended there IMO.

Totally agree.

The bulldog tragician

Woah there! I had an instant “ you’re kidding ?!! “ reaction, but in the true spirit of unpopular takes, you’ve got me thinking.

At the time I thought it was perfect recognition of the fact that a premiership takes more than the guys out on the field. I felt proud that our club had recognised that. I still do, but whenever I see Bob in his Freo gear, or heard him talk about how at home he now feels among The Purple, I feel a bit affronted somehow, and it has lessened the impact of that moment, so your unpopular take isn’t something I’d reject so completely these days.

GVGjr
At the time it was a most touching moment but in hindsight he should have politely waved Bevo off or left the stage quickly.
We all love Bob though

Grantysghost
19-09-2023, 03:18 PM
Katie Brennan's moment.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2023, 03:26 PM

Great unpopular nomination for this thread, but I will take some time to think it over before opining myself.

I just watched it again for the first time in over six years. I tend to agree, for some reason I thought incorrectly that Bevo lifted it and handed it over. Watching it again though, hard to disagree.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-09-2023, 03:28 PM
Woah there! I had an instant ? you?re kidding ?!! ? reaction, but in the true spirit of unpopular takes, you?ve got me thinking.

At the time I thought it was perfect recognition of the fact that a premiership takes more than the guys out on the field. I felt proud that our club had recognised that. I still do, but whenever I see Bob in his Freo gear, or heard him talk about how at home he now feels among The Purple, I feel a bit affronted somehow, and it has lessened the impact of that moment, so your unpopular take isn?t something I?d reject so completely these days.

I'll never forget how instrumental Bob was in holding the club together in the wake of shocktober. His leadership was critical to the clubs quick resurgence.

It was a great moment when Bevo invited him up on stage for the medal. But I do think he should have left the raising of the cup to Bevo. Or at least the 3 of them somehow raise it together. Bevo should have been raising the cup in some form.

Mofra
19-09-2023, 03:28 PM
The expansion of the AFLW has killed it's momentum - the clubs that paved the way for the competition are continually punished by having their best players leave, and it's removed any emotional attachment to most of the players as many of the favourites are now in opposition colours. Katie Brenna was a big one, the Emme Kearney, and seeing Bonnie Toogood in Essendon colours is just not right.

The abysmally low ratings and crowd attendances are a symptom of this. A lot of the enthusiasm of the first season has now been lost.

chef
19-09-2023, 03:33 PM
The expansion of the AFLW has killed it's momentum - the clubs that paved the way for the competition are continually punished by having their best players leave, and it's removed any emotional attachment to most of the players as many of the favourites are now in opposition colours. Katie Brenna was a big one, the Emme Kearney, and seeing Bonnie Toogood in Essendon colours is just not right.

The abysmally low ratings and crowd attendances are a symptom of this. A lot of the enthusiasm of the first season has now been lost.

Should they have been stand-alone clubs not attached to the mens ones so we didn't have so many clubs and the diluting the product doesn't happen?

Sedat
19-09-2023, 03:35 PM
Isn't that just what happens with most national competitions (male or female) that aren't the AFEL and NRL? The most obvious example is the A-League, which was white-hot in its first few seasons (right up until the failed World Cup bid), and since then it couldn't have been more effectively hidden if it was in the witness protection program. BBL has shrunk dramatically from its peak about 4-5 years ago as well.

Good luck to all these other national competitions generating increased revenue, sponsorships and attendances in this era of high inflation, high interest rates and incredible day-to-day cost of living pressures on everyday Australians.

Grantysghost
19-09-2023, 03:35 PM

Clubs are punished except Melbourne. Still can't work that one out.

jazzadogs
19-09-2023, 03:49 PM
Katie Brennan's moment.

I completely agree with Sedats nomination - Bevo had his moment stolen.

But this one annoyed me more than Bob. At least Bob was RW&B through and through - Brennan was all about her.

Sedat
19-09-2023, 03:56 PM
I never post on BF anymore but at the time some St Kilda nuffies were criticizing Bob for raising the cup, and I responded to them that they can celebrate St Kilda's next flag triumph with the burning dwarf holding the cup aloft, alongside Ricky Nixon clad only in his Bonds undies and the St Kilda school girl.

I felt like Costanza going out on a high note after that.

bornadog
19-09-2023, 04:32 PM

What is killing AFLW is the AFL itself. Scheduling of games on Friday at 5pm for example, but more importantly, no proper strategic plan, not issuing fixtures till the last minute, only 10 games for 18 teams etc etc. AFL have no idea.

mjp
19-09-2023, 06:35 PM
What is killing AFLW is the AFL itself. Scheduling of games on Friday at 5pm for example, but more importantly, no proper strategic plan, not issuing fixtures till the last minute, only 10 games for 18 teams etc etc. AFL have no idea.

The footy is appalling right now BAD. I’m actually not sure the pathways are working and the absence of a competitive second tier is hurting. I’m still watching but man o man...

jeemak
19-09-2023, 07:50 PM

I'm going to suggest that your views on Bob have visibly changed over the years due to the type of person he has become, or tries to represent himself as, and it's influenced and emphasised a retrospective change.

Not saying that's wrong, and I'm not even saying that I don't agree with your point of view in some way. However, I know that Bob has been in your sights in a way for some time. :)

bornadog
19-09-2023, 09:19 PM
The footy is appalling right now BAD. I’m actually not sure the pathways are working and the absence of a competitive second tier is hurting. I’m still watching but man o man...

I agree, I am finding it hard to watch.

One of the biggest issues that has effected today, is the first 3 or 4 years (and maybe still ), where the AFL brought in older women, some who had never played footy ie from other codes. They should have stuck with the younger women and let them build and today they would be far more experienced and skilled. My wife's niece was in some sort of talent squad before the actual league started, and tested well, but no one followed up after the initial testing and training sessions, so she switched to Rugby Union. Not saying she would have made it, but there were alot of girls at that camp.

mjp
19-09-2023, 10:01 PM
I agree, I am finding it hard to watch.

The challenge is - as it always has been - that the best players are absolutely excellent. And what happens whenever the skills of the game are called into question someone like Kate Hore will be thrown up as in "Well, if it's so bad, look at what Kate did here..." - and you'll see her kick an awesome goal...I get it. The best players are awesome and the goal Molloy kicked in Round 1 for the Swans was brilliant and yep, I know.

But the drop off is outrageous.

In the bottom teams - and sadly, we are one of them right now - 10-12 of the players on the park (and there are only 16) actually cannot play. But there is NOWHERE for them to develop because the state leagues are poor...they can't drop back and learn their trade (aka Jordan Sweet not that I wanted to mention the war) because there is no-one to compete against. So all the development needs to come in a training situation...but at the weaker clubs there is not even enough competition at training to drive standards and foster improvement.

I know I'm not supposed to say any of this because being supportive of the game and the players is important...but the footy is bad right now.

My suggestion is that some clubs need to dare to be different - and train as cohorts to help raise the level of their own players. North Melbourne are just down the road - we should REGULARLY train with them...not full on match sim but break down the elements of the game. The mids do stoppages against each other, forwards and backs compete etc...get the better players working against one another more often because most squads are too 'skinny' in talent (come to think of it, North are a bad example for me to have used) for any real improvement to be driven.

People say the girls just need games. They actually don't. Again, I can't talk for the non-WA girls but our state leagues over here are filled with girls who SHOULD be playing Rogers Cup (Colts equivalent). But they aren't - which weakens the Rogers Cup games...and you have girls competing at 16 against mature footballers and that's fine for some, but others should still be in development mode so they get spat out and quit. We have 17 year olds playing senior footy one year (State level) and then walking away from the game 12-months later. Can you imagine a 17 year old boy getting a game of WAFL league footy? And if he managed to do that (come on down Dan Curtin, Koltyn Tholstrup) well they're high draft picks...in the girls game it is happening to girls barely graduating from junior CLUB footy...it's BAD.

Someone needs to take control. The girls want support in the CBA etc - great - they should get it. But we need to fix the game. Money doesn't fix it. More time at training wont solve this stuff...you improve through competition and right now it is not set up for success.

Hotdog60
19-09-2023, 10:17 PM
Would it help if the Women trained with the men's VFL side although maybe the men wouldn't like it but it could raise the standards even if one night was mixed night. Skills based of course non contact.

jazzadogs
19-09-2023, 10:21 PM
I have wondered why more young AFLW players don't back it up with playing most VFLW matches, given the seasons don't overlap at the moment?

And what do our young players like Wilcox do in the 'off season'? Do they play somewhere, or saving themselves for the 10 week AFLW season?

These are genuine questions and could be off the mark.

mjp
20-09-2023, 10:19 AM
I have wondered why more young AFLW players don't back it up with playing most VFLW matches, given the seasons don't overlap at the moment?

Well - some do. Others are under contract to the AFL club and are doing pre-season training whilst the state league season is underway.

This is the sort of stuff I mean when I talk about a full review needs to be done. AFL (M) players are with the VFL side when not selected. AFL (W) players are...

So in theory the AFL (M) players come into the side in good form/full of confidence. And the AFL (W) players come into the side...

The system is broken and I totally get the players (AFLW) and AFL Players Association focussing on the CBA, renumeration, time-off, training dictates etc. I get it. But the claims that full-time players are better and more skilful players...well, I'm not so sure about that. In THEORY I guess it's true, but there are only 'so many' ground balls most people can do...and even fewer that can be done at a suitable level of pressure. I guess it should mean better CONDITIONED and STRONGER athletes, but does anyone think that is a problem right now??

Re-focus on the pathway and tier 2 footy...let's build from the bottom up. We're all in such a rush right now - the product isn't great on field, clubs playing at venues with poor facilities in front of sparse crowds...it's not great at the moment. Can we please just get some of the details right??

Sedat
20-09-2023, 10:52 AM
Can we please just get some of the details right??
The AFEL don't care about the details. They care about TV/media rights and nothing else, which are then used by the senior executive core to gorge on the pig trough. No better example of this than Gil going on an 18 month farewell tour that nobody has actually asked for (who actually resigns from a job and then proceeds to hang around like the dog turd on the sole of a shoe for another 18 months) - these people are completely devoid of shame and introspection.

That is why they schedule games at stadiums that have metal bolts sticking out from the ground (or games where the turf has been destroyed by a concert from 3 days earlier, and to hell with any serious knee injuries sustained by a player), why the ARC 'technology' has worse resolution than a black & white TV with dog ears at the holiday house, why there are idiotic jumper clashes every other week, and so on. They don't sweat the finer details because they don't care about them.

Ultimately all the AFEL care about (apart from the filthy lucre of course) is the optics. That is why they have rushed to an 18 team AFLW competition, so they can boast in some flashy PPT slides at their annual conference self-congratulating about what an amazing organization they are because of all the investment in the national women's competition (in reality the players are using tin sheds to get changed in and are playing in front of 3 confused tourists and a stray dog at all sorts of funky locations and non-commercial timeslots).

The AFEL are no different to a bloated public sector, or a similarly bloated global corporation - senior executives are paid enormously but don't actually deliver anything of value to the people/shareholders they are supposed to serve, and they have no accountability to do so. That's because they ultimately exist to serve themselves.

Sedat
20-09-2023, 11:20 AM
I'm going to suggest that your views on Bob have visibly changed over the years due to the type of person he has become, or tries to represent himself as, and it's influenced and emphasised a retrospective change.

Not saying that's wrong, and I'm not even saying that I don't agree with your point of view in some way. However, I know that Bob has been in your sights in a way for some time. :)
Bob had 'no war' written on his hand in his first club photo as an 18yo - he hasn't 'become' anything that he wasn't already. I don't really care about any player's personal perspectives on non-footballing topics - all I care about is how good a player they are and how positively they impact our club, and Bob really is like Bambi in that regard. He has always been an elite, talented and much loved player for our club, which is thoroughly deserved. And his reputation was elevated even further in 2015 when he took over the captaincy at our darkest hour and was a key catalyst (along with Bevo) for culture change and standards that resulted in the best footballing moment of our lives.

The fact that he absolutely stunk as a media performer (my personal opinion only, others are free to disagree) will never detract from his impact as a player for us and a leader of cultural change that gave us a real chance at the ultimate success. So he thoroughly deserved the recognition he got from Bevo in his speech, and the moment Bevo gave him his premiership medal and they embraced remains an incredibly powerful and emotional picture-perfect moment.

It's only in hindsight that I disliked seeing him take it a step further and raise the cup, and that is the only lasting moment that keeps getting replayed now - I wish it was Bevo holding it up alongside Easton because he really deserved that moment.

ReLoad
22-09-2023, 08:52 PM
The singing of the national anthem as a chance to do some sort of nonsense artistic performance.

It has a pace to it that builds, don’t butcher it.

jazzadogs
22-09-2023, 10:17 PM
The singing of the national anthem as a chance to do some sort of nonsense artistic performance.

It has a pace to it that builds, don’t butcher it.

I don't think the national anthem needs to be sung before every single final.

FrediKanoute
22-09-2023, 10:37 PM
Unpopular Opinion - I would like to see Toby Greene with a Premiership medal.

SonofScray
23-09-2023, 03:30 PM
Unpopular Opinion - I would like to see Toby Greene with a Premiership medal.

This stuff is why the site is getting shut down.

bornadog
23-09-2023, 04:08 PM
haha, love it SOS

SonofScray
23-09-2023, 05:56 PM
haha, love it SOS

He’d need to steal one from someone good enough to win one.

Twodogs
25-09-2023, 08:34 PM
. No better example of this than Gil going on an 18 month farewell tour that nobody has actually asked for (who actually resigns from a job and then proceeds to hang around like the dog turd on the sole of a shoe for another 18 months)

Adrian Dodoro?

Kevin Sheedy coached another club and is now haunting Essendon like Banquo's ghost even though the club has had 4 senior coaches since his tenure with the bombers.

Rupert Murdoch seems to be moving into the "hanging around like a bad smell" stage of his life too

Sedat
27-09-2023, 10:07 AM
Adrian Dodoro?

Kevin Sheedy coached another club and is now haunting Essendon like Banquo's ghost even though the club has had 4 senior coaches since his tenure with the bombers.
These 2 hanging around The Hanger like a bad smell is one farewell tour that everybody is hoping continues, because it will mean Essendon clock up another 7,000 days without winning a final.

Mofra
28-09-2023, 12:57 PM
These 2 hanging around The Hanger like a bad smell is one farewell tour that everybody is hoping continues, because it will mean Essendon clock up another 7,000 days without winning a final.
4 November 2023.
Might get some bubbles to celebrate the big day

hujsh
28-09-2023, 02:59 PM

Why're we getting shut down anyway? Not enough traffic for G?