PDA

View Full Version : The Moment: Rnd 22, 2023 vs Hawthorn

GVGjr
13-08-2023, 12:00 PM
The moment, the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye in tonight's game against Hawthorn. Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this' or 'we lost this one right here'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage'

Or was it a collection of moments that you thought 'oh dear that's sure to produce a flood of WOOF melts on par with GG's post GF loss..

bulldogtragic
13-08-2023, 04:17 PM
Picking finals side during the week.

Naughton missing all day.

Not sticking tackles.

Boots
13-08-2023, 04:57 PM
I had a sense things were tipping against us when Newcombe scored from 55 out. I knew we’d lost it when Breust got the tripping free. Turned it off about two minutes later.

GVGjr
13-08-2023, 05:09 PM
I had a sense things were tipping against us when Newcombe scored from 55 out. I knew we’d lost it when Breust got the tripping free.

I was just about to write the same. A couple of misses by Lobb didn't help either.

MrMahatma
13-08-2023, 05:35 PM
Naughton’s first miss after that big hanger.

josie
13-08-2023, 07:23 PM
Probably too little too late but that first centre clearance in last qtr where Treloar was penalised for throw which wasn’t one. Kick the first goal and who knows? Really though our ability to lose when up by a reasonable margin/crumbling under pressure/inability to adjust is a consistent theme for years.

Bumper Bulldogs
13-08-2023, 07:53 PM
Dales miss kick to Bont from full back. They goal and got their tails up and we dropped our heads

Grantysghost
13-08-2023, 08:00 PM
Dales miss kick to Bont from full back. They goal and got their tails up and we dropped our heads
‘‘Twas young Edwardo

bulldogtragic
13-08-2023, 08:03 PM
Dogs have one last chance to steal their season back, with 30 seconds left, and Tim English runs around the backline before the opportunity passes.

bornadog
13-08-2023, 08:28 PM
The moment was the 3rd quarter when we failed to kick a goal. That killed the game.

macca
13-08-2023, 08:28 PM
When Lobb missed the set shot in the last quarter, tough kick 40 m out. If he kicked it ww would have been in tbe lead

Dancin' Douggy
13-08-2023, 08:47 PM
This will sound very harsh. BUT..... The moment we started well, and then my phone went flat. I knew we would lose. (I was at local footy in Newport).
I JUST EFFING KNEW IT! I didn't see anything, or hear anything, or do score checks in the second half but I just felt it in my bones. Deep inside I knew we would lose. It's learnt behaviour now. It really is. Maybe it's learnt behaviour for the players too..... it just seems inevitable.

jeemak
13-08-2023, 09:44 PM
I had a sense things were tipping against us when Newcombe scored from 55 out. I knew we’d lost it when Breust got the tripping free. Turned it off about two minutes later.

The tripping free came after a really stupid decision from Ed not to rush the footy and reset. Instead he kicked a shank to a contest twenty five out and we couldn't clear the area.

I was super pissed off at that.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2023, 09:50 PM
The tripping free came after a really stupid decision from Ed not to rush the footy and reset. Instead he kicked a shank to a contest twenty five out and we couldn't clear the area.

How good was his 35 sprint without bouncing too.

Awesome player, but made some horrible mistakes today.

Grantysghost
13-08-2023, 10:05 PM

We do that a lot.

Collective footy iq isn't great.

Grantysghost
13-08-2023, 10:07 PM

That's the furthest I've ever seen someone run without bouncing it.
Was like the umpire had given him so much latitude he didn't want to go back on it.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2023, 10:13 PM
That's the furthest I've ever seen someone run without bouncing it.
Was like the umpire had given him so much latitude he didn't want to go back on it.

Yep, I couldn’t believe it took so long to ping him. But before he did I was like Kramer seeing how far the car could go before running out of fuel. I wanted to see if he could get to the 50m line without bouncing it. Just needed another two seconds.

I have no idea how he forgot such a basic thing. But credit to him, he at least got the set shot in a more difficult range.

And yet, that was not our worst attempt at kicking out for the day. Not even close to English’s crazy one.

jeemak
13-08-2023, 11:39 PM

I preferred his kick behind Bont that went straight back over his head.

jeemak
13-08-2023, 11:42 PM
And yet, that was not our worst attempt at kicking out for the day. Not even close to English’s crazy one.

English looking further afield for himself to kick to was special.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2023, 11:46 PM

“Where the **** is Tim. I can’t see him. If I just run I will see him through traffic”

EasternWest
13-08-2023, 11:50 PM
“Where the **** is Tim. I can’t see him. If I just run I will see him through traffic”

I bet he was thinking "if only Jordon Sweet was playing".

Grantysghost
14-08-2023, 08:24 AM
Yep, I couldn’t believe it took so long to ping him. But before he did I was like Kramer seeing how far the car could go before running out of fuel. I wanted to see if he could get to the 50m line without bouncing it. Just needed another two seconds.

I have no idea how he forgot such a basic thing. But credit to him, he at least got the set shot in a more difficult range.

Haha gold

AshMac
14-08-2023, 09:07 AM
The second Libba got knocked out Newcombe stepped up and we stepped back at stoppages. As usual we did nothing to stop him and he was BoG

Bulldog Joe
14-08-2023, 10:32 AM
In the 3rd when Naughton decided to kick around the corner on an easy angle with the wind blowing directly behind him.

You knew he didn't believe he would kick out, but kick that goal and we win.

Grantysghost
14-08-2023, 10:34 AM
In the 3rd when Naughton decided to kick around the corner on an easy angle with the wind blowing directly behind him.

I left the room quietly to regroup when that happened.

Grantysghost
14-08-2023, 10:35 AM
My moment is the entire third quarter.

Outworked, outplayed, out everythinged by a team of kids.

Really one of the worst quarters ever under Bevo. No goals with a breeze and the season to play for against the 16th side.

The bulldog tragician
14-08-2023, 10:48 AM
My moment is the entire third quarter.

Outworked, outplayed, out everythinged by a team of kids.

Really one of the worst quarters ever under Bevo. No goals with a breeze and the season to play for against the 16th side.

I agree with this. At various stages in Q3 the Hawks had nearly double the number of our possessions. In most of our other losses our workrate was still ok, we just shot ourselves in the foot with skill errors and poor goalkicking, but in this our effort was really questionable. We had no urgency, tackles were easily broken, there were always men free for them. It was our worst loss for the year given what was at stake. And then seeing us finally switch on, move the ball quickly and score, made it obvious that it was effort that was lacking.

Mantis
14-08-2023, 11:04 AM
I agree with this. At various stages in Q3 the Hawks had nearly double the number of our possessions. In most of our other losses our workrate was still ok, we just shot ourselves in the foot with skill errors and poor goalkicking, but in this our effort was really questionable. We had no urgency, tackles were easily broken, there were always men free for them. It was our worst loss for the year given what was at stake. And then seeing us finally switch on, move the ball quickly and score, made it obvious that it was effort that was lacking.

The 3rd qtr and first 10-15min of the last was the worst footy I’ve seen for quite a while. We were complete witches hats and we were toyed with by a team sitting 16th of the ladder… it was embarrassing.

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-08-2023, 03:41 PM
The second Libba got knocked out Newcombe stepped up and we stepped back at stoppages. As usual we did nothing to stop him and he was BoG

A huge difference was the immediate tagging of Libba and then Bont by Maginness and our failure to do likewise on Newcombe who won 40 possessions in the midfield with little opposition and accountability

jeemak
14-08-2023, 03:56 PM

That and his miss in the second. He's such a space cadet, I can imagine him laughing to his mates that he didn't even consider what the wind was doing and thinking it's OK.

mjp
14-08-2023, 03:58 PM

To be fair to Tim, he definitely didn't risk getting pinged for running too far. His FIRST STEP out of the goal-square was a bounce...hopefully his mum got his photo doing it!!

Critter
14-08-2023, 04:10 PM
When Tim English palmed the ball beautifully at consecutive centre bounces in the second quarter, straight into the arms of waiting Hawthorn midfielders

merantau
17-08-2023, 08:24 PM
Naughton's miss in the first was one of many.