PDA

View Full Version : The stunning statistic behind the Bulldogs? recent inconsistency

Grantysghost
16-08-2023, 11:52 AM
The stunning statistic behind the Bulldogs recent inconsistency

https://images.ctfassets.net/u8w3l566ay8a/25LDWAWKZx5lsXq0Fw7SWx/c932cbebc4b4b214cea5753955d85411/13WBPA23DB1801.jpg?w=980&h=520&fit=fill&f=faces By Nic Negrepontis

The Western Bulldogs on paper have stars all over the field, but, over the last six weeks, they only have one player who is in the top 40 kicks in the competition.

The deep dive comes following the Dogs shock loss to Hawthorn on the weekend, which has left their finals hopes teetering.
Champion Data's Daniel Hoyne has revealed that if you can shut down the Dogs at clearance, they cant hurt you.

I just want to talk about their ball-use as a team and then the individual players, Hoyne told SENs Sportsday.
Over the last six weeks they are using the ball by foot the second worst of any team in the competition.

As a result of that, their inability to use the ball effectively is putting so much pressure on their clearance game.
If they don't win clearance and the ball goes back the other way and theyre starting from the back half, because they are using the ball so poorly, they are no threat to you offensively

Over the last six weeks they've only scored 60 points from their D50, 16th in the competition. This is why the clearance game is so important to them.

Hawthorn took that away from them on the weekend, and they only won the clearances by six, then the Dogs have nothing to throw back at you because when they do actually win the ball, they simply can't use it.

Caleb Daniel, colloquially discussed as one of the best kicks in the competition, has been particularly poor over the last six weeks.
So, Bailey Dale is the exception. He is a top-40 rated kick in the competition over the last six weeks. Hes the only Bulldogs in the top 40,Hoyne added.

Caleb Daniel its amazing the drop-off in his ball-use. He struggled to win the ball against Hawthorn and GWS, but even when he does win it, there's none of that creativity that hes been renowned for.

Hes kicking eight per cent below expectation. Adam Treloar is seven per cent below expectation. Aaron Naughton is kicking four per cent below expectation.

If this aspect doesn't improve for the Dogs in the next fortnight, Id be very surprised if they're able to beat Geelong in Round 24.
The Bulldogs host the lowly West Coast this weekend in a chance to get their season back on track.

Grantysghost
16-08-2023, 12:24 PM
To me this highlights JJ and his importance back off the HB line.

We can't generate scores from anywhere but stoppage. Shut that down we are in trouble.

JJ gives us that extra outlet from D50 so we can generate scores from that source.

Have to hand it to Mitchell, that was next level coaching research .

Bullies
16-08-2023, 02:48 PM
Highlights the reason we need a good "tap" ruckman to give us clean ball use out of the middle and around the stoppages. We do have one as well.

bornadog
16-08-2023, 04:09 PM
Highlights the reason we need a good "tap" ruckman to give us clean ball use out of the middle and around the stoppages. We do have one as well.

Yep we have one Tim English

MrMahatma
17-08-2023, 01:40 AM
Prob puts the spotlight back on the players rather than the coach a bit.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-08-2023, 09:13 PM
Wow seems that sums us up.
Shithouse kickers. I did not realise.

jeemak
18-08-2023, 12:34 AM
Is everyone else stunned?

I thought we'd been cutting defences up with ball use and that Caleb had been ripping it apart these past few weeks.

****en stunned I am.

azabob
18-08-2023, 09:54 AM
Is everyone else stunned?

I thought we'd been cutting defences up with ball use and that Caleb had been ripping it apart these past few weeks.

****en stunned I am.

I'm more stunned that if you shut down us down at clearance we a proper f**ked.

bornadog
18-08-2023, 10:36 AM
Not sure if anyone heard Brenton Sanderson yesterday doing his analysis on the Dogs and why we have lost so many close games. Worth listening too.

You would need to scroll through this: https://open.spotify.com/episode/5XU0Onw8hAy68NZSRHl9Z3

azabob
18-08-2023, 01:08 PM
Not sure if anyone heard Brenton Sanderson yesterday doing his analysis on the Dogs and why we have lost so many close games. Worth listening too.

You would need to scroll through this: https://open.spotify.com/episode/5XU0Onw8hAy68NZSRHl9Z3

For fear of being indirectly smashed, this is a bloody good listen.

Thanks for sharing BAD.

jeemak
18-08-2023, 01:15 PM
At what time of the podcast does it kick in?

azabob
18-08-2023, 01:20 PM
At what time of the podcast does it kick in?

Fifteen minute mark.

bornadog
18-08-2023, 02:06 PM
For fear of being indirectly smashed, this is a bloody good listen.

Thanks for sharing BAD.

Love his work, he is positive and points out the deficiencies without saying stupid things like Bucks (Called some players flaky - what does that even mean)

Grantysghost
18-08-2023, 02:34 PM
Love his work, he is positive and points out the deficiencies without saying stupid things like Bucks (Called some players flaky - what does that even mean)

It was very good. Thanks BAD.

jeemak
18-08-2023, 03:32 PM
Really good point about Adam Treloar and generally going outside of the system and trying to be the one to win the game due to win the game by "doing" something.

I feel Libba does that as well.

azabob
18-08-2023, 04:49 PM
Really good point about Adam Treloar and generally going outside of the system and trying to be the one to win the game due to win the game by "doing" something.

I feel Libba does that as well.

Do you think English kicking in from a behind is inside or outside of our system :D

jeemak
18-08-2023, 05:28 PM
Do you think English kicking in from a behind is inside or outside of our system :D

He became the system, or representative of how it was tracking on the day at least. All arms and legs, and ill-directed.

josie
18-08-2023, 05:45 PM

He might mean players that are not as skilful and their skill errors are magnified when the pressure is on eg fumble and cannot execute tackles etc. Can this be improved in players much? I don?t think so. Inappropriate term I agree but I think I have a sense of what he means.

Thanks for posting the link Bad- agree it was a good listen. Perhaps Sanderson would make another good assistant coach? His win % for a sacked coach at Adelaide was pretty good 57%. Seems like a thoughtful, measured person.

PS Perhaps tackling can be improved - if you are within cooee of your oppo player (we were miles off them against Hawks last game). Reminded me of ‘21GF. Sickening feeling.