PDA

View Full Version : Hardwick

GVGjr
21-08-2023, 10:47 AM
So did I just hear Damien Hardwick has been confirmed as the Sun coach?

bulldogtragic
21-08-2023, 10:53 AM
So did I just hear Damien Hardwick has been confirmed as the Sun coach?

Smart decision if true. That’s my choice if I’m him.

MrMahatma
21-08-2023, 10:57 AM
It's on the AFL site.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1015348/gold-coast-suns-unveil-damien-hardwick-as-new-senior-coach

GVGjr
21-08-2023, 10:58 AM
Smart decision if true. That’s my choice if I’m him.

Would it potentially make them a bit of a destination club?

bulldogtragic
21-08-2023, 10:58 AM
He got the fire in his belly back quick.

bulldogtragic
21-08-2023, 11:00 AM
Would it potentially make them a bit of a destination club?

After they plunder this draft, if they can hold onto their main kids, I reckon they’re going to a force. A good coach and if they can get the odd good trade or free agent then they’ll finally be a serious club.

I would’ve loved Hardwick, but we signed Bevo last year. Coulda, shoulda, woulda and all that.

angelopetraglia
21-08-2023, 11:08 AM
Six year deal!!!!!

Definitely the right personal decision for him. Most likely more coin, long term security and will be 57 when that deal finishes. Retirement package on the retirement coast.

Sedat
21-08-2023, 11:16 AM
Six year deal!!!!!

Definitely the right personal decision for him. Most likely more coin, long term security and will be 57 when that deal finishes. Retirement package on the retirement coast.
And by that stage he'll be able to trade his 2nd missus in for a fit 26yo Gold Coast local.

EasternWest
21-08-2023, 02:21 PM
And by that stage he'll be able to trade his 2nd missus in for a fit 26yo Gold Coast kiwi.

I've just edited that for accuracy

Sedat
21-08-2023, 02:23 PM
I've just edited that for accuracy
Choice bro!

ReLoad
21-08-2023, 02:27 PM

new hot staff.

GVGjr
21-08-2023, 08:14 PM
The sausage cooker breaks his lucrative contract saying he was worn out
Rigours of job ‘all became a bit too much’
Hardwick’s services are sure to be coveted by a number of AFL clubs, but he said he had no plans to return to the game in the foreseeable future.

“The biggest thing on my plate at the moment is just to decompress ... I just need a break,” he said.

Given he left Richmond mid season and a contracted position should the Tigers be entitled to some form of compensation from the Suns?

bulldogtragic
21-08-2023, 08:16 PM
The sausage cooker breaks his lucrative contract saying he was worn out
Rigours of job ‘all became a bit too much’
Hardwick’s services are sure to be coveted by a number of AFL clubs, but he said he had no plans to return to the game in the foreseeable future.

“The biggest thing on my plate at the moment is just to decompress ... I just need a break,” he said.

Given he left Richmond mid season and a contracted position should the Tigers be entitled to some form of compensation from the Suns?

What’s the basis for it? He quit a job, and took another one down the track.

GVGjr
21-08-2023, 08:25 PM
What’s the basis for it? He quit a job, and took another one down the track.

It was a contracted job and had Richmond chose to move him on he would have been paid out.
I'd prefer not to see a trend of coaches feigning fatigue in their jobs to break contracts only to change their mind within the season that they want back in getting a lengthy contract in the process.

bulldogtragic
21-08-2023, 08:27 PM
It was a contracted job and had Richmond chose to move him on he would have been paid out.
I'd prefer not to see a trend of coaches feigning fatigue in their jobs to break contracts only to change their mind within the season that they want back in getting a lengthy contract in the process.

Then the AFEL should have a Mal Michael rule for coaches too then.

But the Suns haven’t done anything wrong that they need to compensate Richmond.

GVGjr
21-08-2023, 08:29 PM
Then the AFEL should have a Mal Michael rule for coaches too then.

But the Suns haven’t done anything wrong that they need to compensate Richmond.

Do you think the AFL has ponied up some money to help the deal get done?

bulldogtragic
21-08-2023, 08:31 PM
Do you think the AFL has ponied up some money to help the deal get done?

Probably. They need the GCS to turn around and this is their best shot right now. Whether under the table, ignoring the soft cap or an ambassadorship I’m not sure. But I’d expect them to meddle and be true to form.

GVGjr
21-08-2023, 08:38 PM
Probably. They need the GCS to turn around and this is their best shot right now. Whether under the table, ignoring the soft cap or an ambassadorship I’m not sure. But I’d expect them to meddle and be true to form.

I wouldn't mind betting that there is an AFL ambassadors type role that Hardwick will benefit from.

Back to the question I posed, I think if a coach walks from a contracted role there should be a non-compete component to it to allow for his early release.

SonofScray
21-08-2023, 08:40 PM
Can cut someone else?s lunch up there I suppose. Prick of a bloke.

Flamethrower
21-08-2023, 08:51 PM

Amazing what a fat stack of Dead Presidents will achieve.

whythelongface
21-08-2023, 08:54 PM
I wouldn't mind betting that there is an AFL ambassadors type role that Hardwick will benefit from.

Back to the question I posed, I think if a coach walks from a contracted role there should be a non-compete component to it to allow for his early release.

If the release is by mutual agreement I don’t see the point. He clearly needed change and so did the club. He was always going to take on a new gig and was clear about that as well. Who knows what was discussed behind closed doors. Richmond FC owes Hardwick a damn sight more than vice versa.

jazzadogs
21-08-2023, 09:46 PM

I think the tigers couldn't care less. He didn't want to be there so he left. They didn't have to pay him out. They'll get a new coach and move on.

bulldogtragic
21-08-2023, 10:05 PM

Then clubs should put them in their contracts. So long as passes restraint of trade issues. I’m not losing any sleep over it, don’t think many at Richmond will either.

GVGjr
21-08-2023, 10:06 PM
I think the tigers couldn't care less. He didn't want to be there so he left. They didn't have to pay him out. They'll get a new coach and move on.

He's sat on contract and list management decisions and now before the next trade period he's sitting in another clubs table.
They might not care but they should.

mjp
22-08-2023, 01:19 PM
He's sat on contract and list management decisions and now before the next trade period he's sitting in another clubs table.
They might not care but they should.

I genuinely think there should be an exchange of draft capital (or something) to compensate Richmond for what (depending on your point of view) Gold Coast and Hardwick have seemingly orchestrated.

I don't think he should be 'free' to coach another club next year. I don't think he owes Richmond anything as such but I don't think moving to a rival within 6-months of leaving his position should be 'ok'.

azabob
22-08-2023, 01:31 PM

The reached a financial settlement, which to me says they had to stump up at least money for this year and possibly beyond.

GVGjr
22-08-2023, 02:15 PM
I genuinely think there should be an exchange of draft capital (or something) to compensate Richmond for what (depending on your point of view) Gold Coast and Hardwick have seemingly orchestrated.

I don't think he should be 'free' to coach another club next year. I don't think he owes Richmond anything as such but I don't think moving to a rival within 6-months of leaving his position should be 'ok'.

It's my non-ccmpete point.
If a coach wants out of footy, fine let him go but he's breaking a contract and going to an opposition club with a lot of inside knowledge.