PDA

View Full Version : How did they know??

mjp
24-08-2023, 11:11 AM
When the AFL put up the fixture for the final round a few weeks back, I thought having the Carlton v Orange game 'last' was dumb...after all, I couldn't see how that would have any bearing on what was going on.

Now it seems prescient.

How exactly did they know we would lose to Hawthorn and West Coast?

EasternWest
24-08-2023, 12:10 PM
When the AFL put up the fixture for the final round a few weeks back, I thought having the Carlton v Orange game 'last' was dumb...after all, I couldn't see how that would have any bearing on what was going on.

Now it seems prescient.

How exactly did they know we would lose to Hawthorn and West Coast?

I assume they checked this forum for the predictions of a really really really good looking poster who had a vision about it happening.

bornadog
24-08-2023, 12:15 PM
Interesting discussion today on SEN with Sanderson (the only conversation I like to listen to on footy), discussing whether Carlton goes all out for the win or do they hold back knowing they may play GWS again in two weeks. The suggestions were to rest Curnow and even Cripps and not show all their cards.

I guess it depends on Sydney and their percentage and whether they could potentially over take Carlton.

MrMahatma
24-08-2023, 12:42 PM
Interesting discussion today on SEN with Sanderson (the only conversation I like to listen to on footy), discussing whether Carlton goes all out for the win or do they hold back knowing they may play GWS again in two weeks. The suggestions were to rest Curnow and even Cripps and not show all their cards.

I guess it depends on Sydney and their percentage and whether they could potentially over take Carlton.

I get not "showing all your cards" but also, why would you mess with winning form and confidence? What if they lose without those 2, then win the next with them but they get injured/suspended? Do the rest of the team then think "ahhh we can't win without those 2".

They get a week off so don't need the break surely?

Sedat
24-08-2023, 01:01 PM
I get not "showing all your cards" but also, why would you mess with winning form and confidence? What if they lose without those 2, then win the next with them but they get injured/suspended? Do the rest of the team then think "ahhh we can't win without those 2".

Why would Carlton risk playing a much more in-form GWS in 2 weeks (as opposed to a horribly out of form Dogs) when they could potentially knock them out of the race altogether on Sunday? Sanderson's take only makes sense if we lose this week.

lemmon
24-08-2023, 01:14 PM
Why would Carlton risk playing a much more in-form GWS in 2 weeks (as opposed to a horribly out of form Dogs) when they could potentially knock them out of the race altogether on Sunday? Sanderson's take only makes sense if we lose this week.

Agree that if I was Carlton, I'd much rather play the Dogs than GWS, but it would forego their home ground advantage at Marvel.

bornadog
24-08-2023, 01:27 PM

Totally agree, you don't want GWS getting their confidence up for a potential meeting in two weeks

Sedat
24-08-2023, 01:38 PM
Agree that if I was Carlton, I'd much rather play the Dogs than GWS, but it would forego their home ground advantage at Marvel.
GWS have been the most "anyone, anywhere, anytime" team in the competition this season. And aside from the Blues, they are one of the most in-form teams of the last couple or months as well. Blues would much prefer the Dogs at the MCG over GWS at Marvel.

MrMahatma
24-08-2023, 02:58 PM
Remember that time we lost to the bottom team and won the flag in the space of 2 months?

Flamethrower
24-08-2023, 03:11 PM
When the round 24 fixture was released, it appeared that Carlton would need to win their last game to make the finals, and GWS would most likely be the team whose spot they were competing for.

Unfortunately for the greedy AFL that match is now a dead rubber. The Bulldogs have next to zero chance of winning in Geelong when they are playing well, let alone being in such terrible form that they can't even beat a team actively trying to lose.

jeemak
24-08-2023, 04:39 PM
I assume they checked this forum for the predictions of a really really really good looking poster who had a vision about it happening.

How do you know what DOG GOD looks like?

EasternWest
24-08-2023, 04:46 PM
How do you know what DOG GOD looks like?

We have a separate forum for really really really good looking posters. Your invite should be in the mail.

D Mitchell
24-08-2023, 04:50 PM
We have a separate forum for really really really good looking posters. Your invite should be in the mail.
Oi ! Where's mine ? I'm a good looking rooster, the bloke in the mirror tells me that every morning, which might account for my clean shaven look.

Bulldog Joe
24-08-2023, 05:06 PM
More likely that GWS rest a few and keep something up their sleeve.

They will know when they run out that they are already set for finals after the predictable loss at Sedat Park by the team that never wins there.

EasternWest
24-08-2023, 05:19 PM
Oi ! Where's mine ? I'm a good looking rooster, the bloke in the mirror tells me that every morning, which might account for my clean shaven look.

It's the really really really good looking forum.

It's not strong enough to take the membership of a total Adonis. You'll need to apply for the total Adonis forum. Jazzadogs is the moderator of that one.

He's so dreamy.