PDA

View Full Version : 3 things learned from Rd 24 vs Geelong 2023

GVGjr
26-08-2023, 09:17 AM
Lets hear the 3 new things you have learned from our round 24 clash against the Cats.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-08-2023, 11:15 PM
Lobb into the ruck was the game changer
Bont again boosted his Brownlow chances
Good to see the efforts again of Poulter and O’Donnell which augers well for the future

ReLoad
26-08-2023, 11:33 PM
1. I’ve been very bullish on Oscar, he offers something different in the team with his spread. But his kicking, holy smokes. I’m now officially jumping off his bandwagon.
2. I’ve been critical of Bevo and his tactics, but Lobb in the ruck was the best move he’s made in years.
3. Astronaut is suicidal in his attack. If it’s a choice of keeping English or naughton, sorry Timmy.

josie
26-08-2023, 11:45 PM
West deserves a go in the middle & around the ground

If Lobb plays like he did tonight he’ll be a great recruit

Weightman can lay a decent tackle, loved his energy tonight

AshMac
26-08-2023, 11:52 PM
1. Once again the case for a new coach was on display tonight. Our defensive setup is embarrassing - have players guarding blades of grass against an equivalent VFL side carving us up through the corridor

2. Poulter and O?Donnell are players. Couple of good news stories out of an otherwise disappointing season

3. We?d be close to the worst tackling side in the competition this last 3 weeks

westdog54
26-08-2023, 11:59 PM
1. Rory ****ing Lobb playing a match turning role. You can take me now, I have seen it all.
2. Ed Richards is far better overhead than I have him credit before.
3. Bevo saw something in O'Donnell, and now we're all seeing it too.

westbulldog
27-08-2023, 12:13 AM
1. Rory Lobb should be first ruck 60% of the time while English spends time forward. Weitering can't cover Naughton and English.
2. With another pre-season and 5+kg, James O'Donnell could be a star next year.
3. Alex Keath with ball in hand makes A nightmare on elm street seem tame.

anfo27
27-08-2023, 01:39 AM
1. Westy in the middle. HOORAY!!! Learned that he can actually help us in there. With those genes why did we wait so bloody long to find out!
2. JOD- This kid has something. That play in the last quarter when he was running back into D50 with 2 cats on his hammer & he gathered the ball & calmly used his right foot to hit Scott down the line under that pressure. Gee whiz, I saw that & thought for a kid who has hardly played the game that was exceptional. Got a keeper here.
3. Lobb- Really has a huge amount of ability this guy. If Bevo can tap into that we would have a difference maker.

4. What to throw the Bont in as well. Gives us everything he has every week but I just wanted to add that his game awareness is top shelf. In a game where everyone is chasing stats his awareness at times tonight that a tap to a team mates advantage was the only thing that was going to get it done at that moment was great to watch. He would have done that 4 or 5 times tonight & won't get a stat for it but every single one of those taps made a difference.

May the boys get some confidence tonight & the blues win this week but we come out possessed the following game & shock the football world.

merantau
27-08-2023, 08:57 AM
Lobb into the ruck was the game changer
Bont again boosted his Brownlow chances
Good to see the efforts again of Poulter and O’Donnell which augers well for the future

"Augers" or "all goes well"?

1eyedog
27-08-2023, 09:08 AM
1. Westy in the middle. HOORAY!!! Learned that he can actually help us in there. With those genes why did we wait so bloody long to find out!
2. JOD- This kid has something. That play in the last quarter when he was running back into D50 with 2 cats on his hammer & he gathered the ball & calmly used his right foot to hit Scott down the line under that pressure. Gee whiz, I saw that & thought for a kid who has hardly played the game that was exceptional. Got a keeper here.
3. Lobb- Really has a huge amount of ability this guy. If Bevo can tap into that we would have a difference maker.

4. What to throw the Bont in as well. Gives us everything he has every week but I just wanted to add that his game awareness is top shelf. In a game where everyone is chasing stats his awareness at times tonight that a tap to a team mates advantage was the only thing that was going to get it done at that moment was great to watch. He would have done that 4 or 5 times tonight & won't get a stat for it but every single one of those taps made a difference.

May the boys get some confidence tonight & the blues win this week but we come out possessed the following game & shock the football world.

Why did it take Bevo a full season to throw Lobb into the ruck and English forward? Normally it's Lobb into the ruck while English is off.

Why only put West into the midfield now? No Smith, Macrae et al?

Bevo's had a word to me feels these moves were very un-Bevo like.

Jasper
27-08-2023, 09:25 AM
1 Beveridge is capable of changing things around
2 Lobbs performance played a large part in why we won
3 Weightmans return to form was needed

Bullies
27-08-2023, 09:44 AM
1. Tonight showed how far off it our bottom 6 players are. ie: Baker, McNeill, Keath, VDM etc. They should have had a night out against ordinary oppostion.

2. Not sure if we do make it that we can just flick the switch. Something appears not right.

3. West is a bull. May not be quick but reads the game so well and could be Sam Mitchell type when Libba hangs them up.

anfo27
27-08-2023, 11:15 AM
Why did it take Bevo a full season to throw Lobb into the ruck and English forward? Normally it's Lobb into the ruck while English is off.

Why only put West into the midfield now? No Smith, Macrae et al?

Bevo's had a word to me feels these moves were very un-Bevo like.

Kind of feel everyone has asked these questions before. Why now? maybe Bevo has been stubborn & relented & gave it a crack. Just don't think he rates Westy. He came to us as an inside mid & never got a look in until last night.

bornadog
27-08-2023, 11:19 AM
Kind of feel everyone has asked these questions before. Why now? maybe Bevo has been stubborn & relented & gave it a crack. Just don't think he rates Westy. He came to us as an inside mid & never got a look in until last night.

He never got a look in because there were so many in front of him. Dunks, Macrae, Smith were all not there last night.

His disposal needs to be tightened up but there is something to work with.

azabob
27-08-2023, 11:22 AM
He never got a look in because there were so many in front of him. Dunks, Macrae, Smith were all not there last night.

His disposal needs to be tightened up but there is something to work with.

West went at 75% last night which is pretty good considering the role he played.

josie
27-08-2023, 11:56 AM
"Augers" or "all goes well"?

Augurs-prophesizes. It’s an easy one to misspell or mishear!

JanLorMill
27-08-2023, 11:59 AM
All goes well https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71fbAGBCFhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

D Mitchell
27-08-2023, 12:06 PM
Use the word"bodes". That removes the mis hearing danger.

macca
27-08-2023, 01:11 PM
1. Tonight showed how far off it our bottom 6 players are. ie: Baker, McNeill, Keath, VDM etc. They should have had a night out against ordinary oppostion.

2. Not sure if we do make it that we can just flick the switch. Something appears not right.

3. West is a bull. May not be quick but reads the game so well and could be Sam Mitchell type when Libba hangs them up.

This is our achillies heal. We all know it, even the coaching staff.

The positive I take from this is IF they improve , we will be a much better side .

The others just have to play on instinct and be able to execute in the moment.

I am bullish on JOD as his that type of player. Plays on instinct and takes the first option, outcomes will be more in his favour than not .

meenies
27-08-2023, 01:18 PM
Eddie Betts commented that VDM did a good job to quell Stewart in second half.

macca
27-08-2023, 01:23 PM
Eddie Betts commented that VDM did a good job to quell Stewart in second half.

It was bad luck he had a calf injury, so really happy to hear that for VDM doing a good job

D Mitchell
27-08-2023, 04:58 PM
1. Confirmed that watching games on TV is almost not worth the time. All first half the commentators kept talking about Stewart reading the play so well yet all the screen showed was our mids and defenders kicking straight to him.
2. Just how good a leader Bont is.
3. 3 tall forwards are still competing with each other for the big mark.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-08-2023, 05:20 PM
It does augur well., like a post hole digger.

FrediKanoute
27-08-2023, 08:07 PM
1) Lobb in the ruck was a materstroke. Have a 2 fold effect - we won clearances and English became a tall forward option;

2) Westy can take over from Libba. He is a couple of years off developing his tank and the sharpness of his disposal, but the ingredients are all there

3) Our coaching team is either inept or stubborn - evey team knowa that the key to stopping Geelong is stopping Stewart taking marlks in the backline. It took half a game for us to react and when we finally did the game turned.

macca
27-08-2023, 11:00 PM
1. It takes us 3 quarters and a ruck change to get on top of 1/2 of Geelong's VFL side.

2. Position changes Lobb in ruck, English fwd is not rocket science. We need to start placing players to their strengths
West in the middle...Last game of the season for ffs.

3. What we did in the last 5 rounds did not work. Easy to talk in hindsight, but we should have played the list to see who will be there next year. I can't see us keeping 12 players on our list and make the 8 with this same crap for 24 rounds next year.