PDA

View Full Version : 2023? the year that wasn?t!

Mantis
28-08-2023, 11:07 AM
My overwhelming feeling now that our 2023 season is done is… what a ****ing waste!

Just really pissed off that our season has finished, when I feel we have so much more to give. Just a complete lack of care through the season against inferior teams cost us 4-5 games and a spot firmly in the top 4 which I feel is where we belong.

Upset that we’ve wasted an all time great season from our captain…our team should be embarrassed that he doesn’t get to lead us into battle in September… he’s at the peak of his powers and will be sitting on the couch.. what a waste.

I look on with interest to what happens next…we were in a very similar position at the end of 2022 after an awful EF loss, we were sold the vision that things would be different in 2023, but in fairness they were worse. We started the year in the worst possible way, got our season back on track and then stumbled all the way to the end.

We’re all running out of patience with this group.. some have even lost patience.. and a younger version of myself would no doubt have too, but I’m obviously much wiser now, but won’t cop us not making hard calls with the playing list.. they’re at fault here with there inability to bring a consistent level of performance/ effort and the group needs a refresh.

Sedat
28-08-2023, 11:18 AM
It was definitely a massive waste in isolation to 2023, and a huge failure in terms of our own internal expectations. But I am always a silver lining guy and I think that missing finals will sting the entire organisation and necessitate some proper analysis of where we are heading and what we need to do in all facets to achieve long-term success.

We aren't a one man band, but Bont will continue to be at the peak of his powers for another 5 years, we have the bones in place with regard to key position across the ground (present and future), we still have a core of elite ball-winning mids (but definitely need a different mix and more expanded depth in this area), and we have goal scoring power.

I can see significant incremental growth from this team in 2024 if we are honest with ourselves and do the work both on and off the ground. And I think the pressure on Bevo will be a positive thing - he will coach with an edge and a ruthlessness that has not quite been there the last 2 seasons IMO. His loyalty to his players is a great asset but it has been almost to a fault the last couple of years.

hujsh
28-08-2023, 11:28 AM
It was definitely a massive waste in isolation to 2023, and a huge failure in terms of our own internal expectations. But I am always a silver lining guy and I think that missing finals will sting the entire organisation and necessitate some proper analysis of where we are heading and what we need to do in all facets to achieve long-term success.

We aren't a one man band, but Bont will continue to be at the peak of his powers for another 5 years, we have the bones in place with regard to key position across the ground (present and future), we still have a core of elite ball-winning mids (but definitely need a different mix and more expanded depth in this area), and we have goal scoring power.

I can see significant incremental growth from this team in 2024 if we are honest with ourselves and do the work both on and off the ground. And I think the pressure on Bevo will be a positive thing - he will coach with an edge and a ruthlessness that has not quite been there the last 2 seasons IMO. His loyalty to his players is a great asset but it has been almost to a fault the last couple of years.

I wonder how much that loyalty has paid off for us? Guys like Roarke have been kept around but the likes of Dunkley still left for money, English is looking for the highest bidder, even a journeyman like Cordy left for an extra year (though the security is more understandable for a guy in his position vs an extra 100-200k a year for people on 600-800k already.

Hard to prove a negative though so can't say for sure if anyone stayed who would have left

bornadog
28-08-2023, 11:33 AM
Just as we have to make hard calls with the footy department structure, we need to make some hard calls on our list as well.

Two assistants at least are now scheduled to be gone and perhaps Spangher needs to be looked at as well.

Although we have previously turned over around 8 players a season, maybe this year we need to look at at least 12 players:

Bedendo, Dominic
Bruce, Josh
Crozier, Hayden
Duryea, Taylor
Hannan, Mitchell
McComb, Robbie R
McLean, Toby
McNeil, Lachlan R
O'Brien, Tim
Smith, Roarke R
Sweet, Jordon R
Raak, Cody R

On the edge

Khamis, Buku R
Garcia, Riley

anfo27
28-08-2023, 11:46 AM
The old adage of 'its never as bad as it seems as well its never as good as it seems' is what describes where we are at for me. Our style has been broken for a while & it doesn't matter the names you have on paper if the system is broken. The humiliating end to the season will hopefully lead to some tough conversations & some tough decisions. The last 2 seasons are no way near good enough to accept. I'll be watching to see what we actually do & come round 1 next year I don't want to see a shit show like we saw the first 2 rounds.

azabob
28-08-2023, 11:52 AM
Just as we have to make hard calls with the footy department structure, we need to make some hard calls on our list as well.

Two assistants at least are now scheduled to be gone and perhaps Spangher needs to be looked at as well.

Although we have previously turned over around 8 players a season, maybe this year we need to look at at least 12 players:

Bedendo, Dominic
Bruce, Josh
Crozier, Hayden
Duryea, Taylor
Hannan, Mitchell
McComb, Robbie R
McLean, Toby
McNeil, Lachlan R
O'Brien, Tim
Smith, Roarke R
Sweet, Jordon R
Raak, Cody R

On the edge

Khamis, Buku R
Garcia, Riley

The unfortunate thing is BAD these list changes are not hard calls, some should have already been off the list and the others, well their time is up.

Hard calls are looking at trading out established players in the starting 18.

The biggest problem with delisting the 12 players above and or trading out established players is our lack of depth - which the club has been negligent in bringing in younger players during 2019, 2020 and 2021.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 12:07 PM
The unfortunate thing is BAD these list changes are not hard calls, some should have already been off the list and the others, well their time is up.

The biggest problem with delisting the 12 players above and or trading out established players is our lack of depth - which the club has been negligent in bringing in younger players during 2019, 2020 and 2021.

Yep, these are the easy ones.

Is the list capable of paying $1M+ for a ruckman, any ruckman?
Is the club willing to keep a part time model and average at his normal job?
Is the club willing to pay Naughton $20,000 a goal just to keep him? The highest cost of KPFs in the comp by a mile.
If we are rebuilding do we cash out on a Bailey Dale?
Do we entertain offers on Treloar if they come?
Do we just take the compo on Williams and move on?

These are some of the tough decisions.

bornadog
28-08-2023, 12:16 PM

They are hard as in it won't happen

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 12:29 PM
They are hard as in it won't happen

How’s this for me being prepared to change my view on retaining club leadership. Because it should evolve with the facts.

If Sam Power is advocating holding onto a bunch of sub standard players, or, is advocating getting rid of them and the club is overriding him then he should no longer be at the club.

I think he is a gifted footy person and talented individual who should replace Chris Grant today. But if the plan is to repeat 2023, then Sam Power will lose my unwavering full support.

bornadog
28-08-2023, 12:35 PM
How’s this for me being prepared to change my view on retaining club leadership. Because it should evolve with the facts.

If Sam Power is advocating holding onto a bunch of sub standard players, or, is advocating getting rid of them and the club is overriding him then he should no longer be at the club.

I think he is a gifted footy person and talented individual who should replace Chris Grant today. But if the plan is to repeat 2023, then Sam Power will lose my unwavering full support.

I bet, Dom, TOB, Duryea and Raak will not be gone.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 12:40 PM

Raak doesn’t bother me, as he’s just small salary as a Cat an outside the cap.

But if now is not the time to strongly refresh or rebuild (call it what you want) then we are deluded.

azabob
28-08-2023, 12:46 PM

Apparently Power is being head hunted to head up the Tasmanian List Management strategy.

I also like your suggestion of Power into Grant's role.

hujsh
28-08-2023, 12:50 PM

Waste of a list spot. Neither can get fit and neither have really shown they look close to being best 22 players. If you're going to be retained as backup you need to at least be durable so you're available to replace the player who might get injured, so no point in keeping them as depth either.

At least with Dureya it's pretty clear we don't have any better options

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 12:52 PM
Apparently Power is being head hunted to head up the Tasmanian List Management strategy.

I also like your suggestion of Power into Grant's role.

I rate Sam so highly. He was always going to be head hunted, and I think it’s time for a fresh footy boss and I really think he would excel in the role. But if that’s not going to happen and if he wants or is forced to sign up substandard players, then putting the Tassie list together would be a great job for him with almost free reign to put together a list.

If the club is even halfway serious, we should have the delistings by Wednesday to demonstrate how serious they are about the off season and improving next year.

azabob
28-08-2023, 12:57 PM
I rate Sam so highly. He was always going to be head hunted, and I think it’s time for a fresh footy boss and I really think he would excel in the role. But if that’s not going to happen and if he wants or is forced to sign up substandard players, then putting the Tassie list together would be a great job for him with almost free reign to put together a list.

If the club is even halfway serious, we should have the delistings by Wednesday to demonstrate how serious they are about the off season and improving next year.

Does our VFL campaign slightly impact that?

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 01:03 PM
Does our VFL campaign slightly impact that?

I don’t think so, a lot are injured (from a few days ago):

Roarke Smith (foot)
Tim O?Brien (hamstring)
Robbie McComb (concussion)
Dom Bedendo (groin)
Josh Bruce (knee)
Mitch Hannan (Achilles)

Then McNeil & Duryea are ineligible to play finals.

Williams & Maclean are RFAs so we won’t delist them

Khamis & Sweet are likely fringe trades so we don’t delist them

This should be done by Wednesday.

bornadog
28-08-2023, 01:46 PM
I don’t think so, a lot are injured (from a few days ago):

Roarke Smith (foot)
Tim O?Brien (hamstring)
Robbie McComb (concussion)
Dom Bedendo (groin)
Josh Bruce (knee)
Mitch Hannan (Achilles)

Then McNeil & Duryea are ineligible to play finals.

Williams & Maclean are RFAs so we won’t delist them

Khamis & Sweet are likely fringe trades so we don’t delist them

This should be done by Wednesday.

Aza is right, you can't do it while the VFL is playing finals. Besides, what is the hurry

bulldogtragic
28-08-2023, 02:10 PM
Aza is right, you can't do it while the VFL is playing finals. Besides, what is the hurry

If none of them are playing the reserves (or won’t be delisted but instead traded, FA’d etc), why delay it?

Rocket Science
28-08-2023, 02:15 PM
If none of them are playing the reserves (or won’t be delisted but instead traded, FA’d etc), why delay it?

Exactly, how long does it take to rattle off photocopies of 1-year extensions for everyone that hasn't announced their retirement?

Grantysghost
28-08-2023, 02:41 PM
Exactly, how long does it take to rattle off photocopies of 1-year extensions for everyone that hasn't announced their retirement?

Dons have already delisted 3.

meenies
28-08-2023, 03:37 PM
Looks like we have already started erasing 2023. At least on the WB Twitter account.

GVGjr
28-08-2023, 03:44 PM
The old adage of 'its never as bad as it seems as well its never as good as it seems' is what describes where we are at for me. Our style has been broken for a while & it doesn't matter the names you have on paper if the system is broken. The humiliating end to the season will hopefully lead to some tough conversations & some tough decisions. The last 2 seasons are no way near good enough to accept. I'll be watching to see what we actually do & come round 1 next year I don't want to see a shit show like we saw the first 2 rounds.

Spot on Anfo. It's certainly not a crisis as some think or as perfect and just part of the natural cycle of an AFL life as others do.
We have to make changes and I hope the club gives an honest and accurate appraisal of what went wrong and sets a new course.
If some players or even coaches don't want to be a part of it then lets help them transition elsewhere.

Sedat
28-08-2023, 03:52 PM
Spot on Anfo. It's certainly not a crisis as some think or as perfect and just part of the natural cycle of an AFL life as others do.
We have to make changes and I hope the club gives an honest and accurate appraisal of what went wrong and sets a new course.
If some players or even coaches don't want to be a part of it then lets help them transition elsewhere.
In actual performance terms we were 12-11 in 2022 and 12-11 in 2023, so externally at least we are performing at a level consistent with our previous season. The problem is that our internal expectations were to be contending in both these seasons (and our trajectory was trending on the rise each season from 2018-2021), so it is undeniable that we have significantly under-performed for 2 years now against our own internal metrics.

We need to have a proper look under the hood and review every single aspect of our operation. If we don't conduct this with deep focus, we are not a serious club.

bornadog
28-08-2023, 04:05 PM
My gut feeling is we will have a proper review to see what went wrong and what we need going forward.

There is too much noise from outside from MEDIA as well as upset fans - which wasn't around last year.

meenies
28-08-2023, 04:07 PM
Not sure if this is the right feed but ....

Rather than concentrating on the players between 22 and 32, we should really be looking at the 10-22 players we regularly play but will not take us forward.
Keath, Williams, Duryea/Crozier,McLean, VDM, Scott, McNeil all out.
I would also have JOD, Poulter, Daniel (2023 form), Lobb, Baker and West in that bracket but feel that they have a little more upside than the others so would keep those.

Existing replacements but just could not get fit and really see if they have it - Bus & Gardner for Keath, Gallagher for Duryea/Crozier, JJ for VDM, Clarke for McNeill, Bedendo for Scott.

For the 22-32 grouped players:
Agree with times up for TOB and Hannah. Roake is only 26 so if they can get his body right then keep him but I think it may be shot.
A lot won't agree but also Khamis, Cleary, McComb (prefer an upgrade to Sullivan or McPherson).
Cleary has fashioned himself too much on Dale and JJ. We need backs who defend one-on-one first not more receivers.
If we get Henry then A Jones to stay. If not, then suggest let go.

G-Mo77
28-08-2023, 04:23 PM
Dons have already delisted 3.

I hope we start very soon.

JanLorMill
28-08-2023, 06:54 PM
My gut feeling is we will have a proper review to see what went wrong and what we need going forward.

There is too much noise from outside from MEDIA as well as upset fans - which wasn't around last year.
Apparently we did a mid season internal review already!

DOG GOD
28-08-2023, 07:13 PM
The coaching panel needs to change. We need 2 “name” guys to come in with exceptional credentials. Not no names.

The playing list needs a complete overhaul. Let?s see if the club has the balls to make some hard calls, similiar to that of Hawthorn.

The gameplan needs to drastically change.

We need kicking and tackling coaches. If we don?t get them, we aren?t legit.

Curly5
30-08-2023, 01:44 PM
On the bright side, I won the goal-tipping comp on the other forum :)

azabob
30-08-2023, 03:20 PM
On the bright side, I won the goal-tipping comp on the other forum :)

Goal tipping?

Curly5
31-08-2023, 01:45 PM
Goal tipping?

Each week you pick 5 players who you think will kick goals. They all have points ratings so the points for each vary. Eg Naughton might be worth 9 points (per goal) but Liam Jones might be worth 40 points. I accumulated 1956 points for the season. :)

bornadog
31-08-2023, 02:14 PM
Each week you pick 5 players who you think will kick goals. They all have points ratings so the points for each vary. Eg Naughton might be worth 9 points (per goal) but Liam Jones might be worth 40 points. I accumulated 1956 points for the season. :)

Well done. Naughton kicked a goal in every game except one this year.