Carlton v Sydney at the MCG, 7.50pm AEST

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 9

Second elimination final
St Kilda v Greater Western Sydney at the MCG, 3.20pm AEST

Second qualifying final
Brisbane v Port Adelaide at the Gabba, 7.25pm AEST

28-08-2023, 02:51 PM
We can just sit back and relax as Dogs fans.

28-08-2023, 02:55 PM
We can just sit back and relax as Dogs fans.

Does this board appear relaxed?

28-08-2023, 02:56 PM

I’m as relaxed as Charles Manson.

28-08-2023, 02:56 PM

No definitely not. Probably not the right choice of words.

28-08-2023, 02:57 PM
No definitely not. Probably not the right choice of words.

Ignore the finals maybe. Or resent them.

28-08-2023, 03:08 PM
Requested to have this thread deleted for now. I totally get it. Yep not the time right now.

28-08-2023, 03:10 PM
Requested to have this thread deleted for now. I totally get it. Yep not the time right now.

It’s all good Eastie.

28-08-2023, 03:13 PM
Still biased towards Vic teams. How does Brisbane not get the Friday night match? They finished 2nd.

AFL are a joke.

28-08-2023, 03:15 PM
Still biased towards Vic teams. How does Brisbane not get the Friday night match? They finished 2nd.

AFL are a joke.

I dont think they want two Melbourne games a few hours a part. Probably want all at the MCG which means Brisbane have to play Saturday since they don’t play Sunday finals any more.

28-08-2023, 03:19 PM
I’m as relaxed as Charles Manson.

I am Charles Manson.

28-08-2023, 03:46 PM

Easty, I think we will keep this thread going for the time being. It should be an exciting finals series albeit one without the Dogs.

28-08-2023, 03:48 PM
Easty, I think we will keep this thread going for the time being. It should be an exciting finals series albeit one without the Dogs.

No worries GVGjr.

28-08-2023, 04:27 PM

Keep it active Easty. It is a good reference point!

28-08-2023, 04:29 PM
Early predictions

Pies defeat Melbourne
Swans defeat Blues
GWS defeat saints
Brisbane defeat Power

28-08-2023, 04:33 PM
Dees easily over Pies
Blues easily over Swans
Rest agreed.

I can see a Pies Blues semi.

Also I can see GWS going deep.

28-08-2023, 04:45 PM
I know the Gabba has been a fortress but Port's midfield has some serious wheels (and talent) and could pose genuine problems for Brisbane's one-paced midfield. And they have Drew who has the capability to put the clamps on their only proven driving force in the middle, Neale. If you look at recent form, Brisbane at home are just going at the minute - they really should have lost to Adelaide and it took them a long time to eventfully get over a depleted St Kilda by 2 goals. Port are a fairly big step up from both these 2 opponents.

Port are the forgotten team of this finals series IMO. Most punters have already pencilled in Brisbane for the W next week, but Port has the forward territory/press game plan that is proven as most bankable in September. Those teams who rely on scoring through clearance/ stoppage, or through slingshot footy from D50 to F50, have a higher margin of error in the pressure of finals.

28-08-2023, 05:13 PM
I think Port are average Sedat.

Straight sets wouldn't surprise me.

28-08-2023, 05:16 PM
Bris will make the GF
Their opponent will be the winner of the Coll vs Melb game.

28-08-2023, 05:17 PM
Bris will make the GF
Their opponent will be the winner of the Coll vs Melb game.

My GF is Lions v Demons with Demons as premier.

28-08-2023, 05:42 PM
I think Port are average Sedat.

Straight sets wouldn't surprise me.
Reckon they will surprise next week GG. They had their flat patch at the right time (4-6 weeks ago), and even though they lost narrowly at Pissant No-Wings Park that's where they got their season back on track (they had mass key outs that night), and they have barely raised a sweat since then. They hammered GWS 2 weeks ago who are just about the form team in the comp.

Brisbane have a one-paced midfield - they still rely so much on Neale. And they have generally struggled in September with this group. Last year they knocked off Richmond and Melbourne, who were both fading in the 2nd half of last season. Massive weight of expectation on them. Put the clamps on Neale and the rest of their game plan can fall apart.

28-08-2023, 05:44 PM
Reckon they will surprise next week GG. They had their flat patch at the right time (4-6 weeks ago), and even though they lost narrowly at Pissant No-Wings Park that's where they got their season back on track (they had mass key outs that night), and they haven't missed a beat since then. They hammered GWS 2 weeks ago who are just about the form team in the comp.

Brisbane have a one-paced midfield - they still rely so much on Neale. And they have generally struggled in September with this group. Last year they knocked off Richmond and Melbourne, who were both fading in the 2nd half of last season. Massive weight of expectation on them.

My two big finals questions are Pies and Port. Be interesting to see.
I like your logic.

28-08-2023, 06:01 PM
I am backing Port for the Premiership - can't stand the rest. Would have been Brissie but Dunks smug looks puts me off.

28-08-2023, 06:35 PM
I am backing Port for the Premiership - can't stand the rest. Would have been Brissie but Dunks smug looks puts me off.

Brisbane to win it. But Dunks gets inured and misses the Grand Final. That is my wish.

28-08-2023, 07:49 PM
Brisbane to win it. But Dunks gets inured and misses the Grand Final. That is my wish.
I could live with that

28-08-2023, 08:27 PM
I'd like to see the Giants win the flag and the resulting explosion on WOOF.

28-08-2023, 09:39 PM
I'd like to see the Giants win the flag and the resulting explosion on WOOF.
Who gives a stuff who wins if it’s not us. I hate Collingwood more than Gws. I don’t know any Gws fans.

28-08-2023, 09:42 PM
I don’t know any Gws fans.

Because there aren't any.

07-09-2023, 08:49 PM
Jamie Elliot has missed two absolute sodas.

07-09-2023, 08:56 PM
Who gives a stuff who wins if it?s not us. I hate Collingwood more than Gws. I don?t know any Gws fans.

Don?t really care who wins now. Been a bit depressing that we aren?t in the finals to be honest myself but it is what it is and we weren?t good enough.

I have in my family a Demons supporting Mum/Grandma and Pies supporting brother.

07-09-2023, 09:10 PM
Melbourne's defense is pretty loose tonight.

07-09-2023, 09:11 PM
Who cares as long as someone punches Fritch in the head just because its head that needs to be punched. :)

07-09-2023, 09:18 PM
One interest is my father's side Melbourne, he trained with them.
Also my friend's side.
Not tonight Josephine, old catholic Pies, John Wren's team will do a spring magpie on them

07-09-2023, 09:32 PM
Melbourne's defense is pretty loose tonight.

Looks to tightened up, but yes it was good to see Lever all at sea.

Collingwood have missed a few gettable goals.

07-09-2023, 09:34 PM
So Maynard suspended or not? The way the were carrying on you'd think he tried to kill him then watching the replay all I see is a guy trying to smother the ball. He should not be suspended for that but think they'll whack him due to the nature of the injury and aftermath. (Viney carrying on like a petulant child)

Tough decision coming up, it'll be interesting how it goes.

07-09-2023, 09:36 PM
Melbourne aren't out of this but Collingwood have been impressive

07-09-2023, 09:37 PM
Looks to tightened up, but yes it was good to see Lever all at sea.

Collingwood have missed a few gettable goals.

I thought Melbourne started getting on top but couldn't put the score on the board.

07-09-2023, 09:38 PM
Its amazing how similar Melbourne play to the dogs... They have struggled tonight but generally their two intercepters are the main difference between the two sides.

07-09-2023, 09:39 PM
I thought Melbourne started getting on top but couldn't put the score on the board.

Look familiar?

07-09-2023, 09:45 PM
So Maynard suspended or not? The way the were carrying on you'd think he tried to kill him then watching the replay all I see is a guy trying to smother the ball. He should not be suspended for that but think they'll whack him due to the nature of the injury and aftermath. (Viney carrying on like a petulant child)

Tough decision coming up, it'll be interesting how it goes.

A joke if Maynard gets suspended.

07-09-2023, 10:07 PM
Maynard shouldn't go but he's the biggest pretend tough guy going round so I hope he gets done for 2.

07-09-2023, 10:14 PM
Its amazing how similar Melbourne play to the dogs... They have struggled tonight but generally their two intercepters are the main difference between the two sides.

Reckon they'd look a lot more effective with Naughton and Marra in their forward-line though.

07-09-2023, 10:26 PM
Maynard shouldn't go but he's the biggest pretend tough guy going round so I hope he gets done for 2.

Not sure why you say that - plays it hard as.

I would have him any time.

07-09-2023, 10:27 PM

I’d love him in our team. Just the kind of player we need IMO.

07-09-2023, 10:28 PM
Melbourne's key forwards are unspeakably bad. Gawn is playing out of his skin but it is completely wasted.

07-09-2023, 10:34 PM
Melbourne kicking Hail Marys into their forward Line is vintage bulldogs.

07-09-2023, 10:41 PM
Melbourne kicking Hail Marys into their forward Line is vintage bulldogs.
I said before their key forwards are rubbish, but their I50 delivery is diabolical. They have actually dominated around the ground since the first 10 minutes.

07-09-2023, 10:55 PM
I said before their key forwards are rubbish, but their I50 delivery is diabolical. They have actually dominated around the ground since the first 10 minutes.

Sounds familiar re: fwd entry.

07-09-2023, 11:01 PM
Good to see that squib Pickett absolutely stink it up.

07-09-2023, 11:01 PM
What a shit game. Melbourne Better off playing Scache than Tom MacDonald

07-09-2023, 11:02 PM
Onya Pies.

Hope Brayshaw is OK, can?t help but like his courage & cleverness.

Identical score to the 2009 prelim but with an either greater inside 50 differential.

Collingwood 37 inside 50's to Melbourne's 69, ridiculous match.

Also that scoreline farken sucks, same score as the Floppy Roo game.

07-09-2023, 11:03 PM
Collingwood only 2 points in the last quarter

07-09-2023, 11:03 PM
How do we attribute the win? Was it Collingwoods amazing defence? Or melbournes abysmal forward line?

07-09-2023, 11:04 PM

That would have to be a record deficit for a finals win for inside 50s

Also, scoring shots were 15 v 23. Demons blew it.

It was the goals against the trend when they torched them out the back like the Dogs normally concede cost them the match too.

How do we attribute the win? Was it Collingwoods amazing defence? Or melbournes abysmal forward line?

15 v 23 scoring shots. They had their chances.

Wow. That's an incredible differential.

Did I just watch us in a different jumper?

07-09-2023, 11:05 PM

Bit of both really. Quanyor and Moore really impressive again.

Go Sydney tomorrow

Demons has a typical Bevo Bullodgs era game feel to them tonight.

07-09-2023, 11:06 PM
Swamp

Scores in last 3 quarters
COLL - 5.4 (34) from 22 inside 50s
MELB - 6.11 (47) from 56 inside 50s

07-09-2023, 11:06 PM
Onya Pies.

Hope Brayshaw is OK, can?t help but like his courage & cleverness.

Has copped concussion in the past, hopefully he is ok.

07-09-2023, 11:07 PM

Forwards can't get a touch with those entries, Pies well disciplined on D. Happy with that result ad they're a very likeable team now. Hopefully a straight sets exit for Melbourne

07-09-2023, 11:08 PM
Demons has a typical Bevo Bullodgs era game feel to them tonight.

I thought of our Prelim.game against the Saints.

07-09-2023, 11:10 PM
Gawn and Petracca were amazing in that 2nd half. What a waste of two massive performances.

It really was like a Bevo era Dogs game but on steroids. I was getting PTSD watching their long bombs to Snake all night.

07-09-2023, 11:11 PM
Also, it bloody sucks not being in finals.

07-09-2023, 11:15 PM
I thought of our Prelim.game against the Saints.

Inside 50s 40 v 57 that night.

07-09-2023, 11:36 PM
Also, it bloody sucks not being in finals.

I’m still disappointed we don’t have that opportunity because finals experience is always good for a team

07-09-2023, 11:46 PM
Gawn and Petracca were amazing in that 2nd half. What a waste of two massive performances.

It really was like a Bevo era Dogs game but on steroids. I was getting PTSD watching their long bombs to Snake all night.

Playing McDonald was a big mistake - should have played Grundy who only needed to take a mark or two. Even Schache would have been better than McDonald.

At least with Grundy, Gawn could have rested up forward.

08-09-2023, 08:33 AM
Go Sydney tomorrow

Actually I hope Carlton as I really want Melbourne out in straight sets and Carlton can do it, not sure sydney can.

08-09-2023, 09:09 AM
Scary part is Melbourne have Petracca, probably the most influential player in the game, and could have had Bont too.
They traded pick 2 (Josh Kelly) in the Bont draft for Salem (pick 9?)and Dom Tyson.

Imagine.

08-09-2023, 09:10 AM
Playing McDonald was a big mistake - should have played Grundy who only needed to take a mark or two. Even Schache would have been better than McDonald.

Petty out is a big loss. Grundy according to my Dees mates has cracked the sads. Be interesting to see if he comes back.

08-09-2023, 10:08 AM

Can't see how Grundy or Schache would have made any difference whatsoever. Replacing one crap forward with another with that delivery isn't going to help.

08-09-2023, 10:28 AM
Scary part is Melbourne have Petracca, probably the most influential player in the game, and could have had Bont too.
They traded pick 2 (Josh Kelly) in the Bont draft for Salem (pick 9?)and Dom Tyson.

Imagine.

The saints as well. Could have had Bont, Petracca and Naughton. Worse for them is they picked right before each of those guys were taken too. Instead they ended up with Billings, McCartin and Coffield.

08-09-2023, 10:40 AM
Can't see how Grundy or Schache would have made any difference whatsoever. Replacing one crap forward with another with that delivery isn't going to help.

Grundy to ruck and Gawn up forward

08-09-2023, 10:40 AM
Actually I hope Carlton as I really want Melbourne out in straight sets and Carlton can do it, not sure sydney can.

I never ever want to see Carlton win a final

08-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Grundy to ruck and Gawn up forward

Other way. Gawn is too good to have forward, his work marking in congestion down the line last night was remarkable. What a player, best ruckman I've ever seen.

Demons bombed it forward so often they had no one who could 1. engage Moore and 2. bring it to ground.

08-09-2023, 10:46 AM
Other way. Gawn is too good to have forward, his work marking in congestion down the line last night was remarkable. What a player, best ruckman I've ever seen.

Demons bombed it forward so often they had no one who could 1. engage Moore and 2. bring it to ground.

Yeah, not the whole game. The last quarter Gawn down there in the last 10 minutes or so. Also resting in Fwd pocket during game.

Better than McDonald who couldn't even kick a goal from 10 metres out. Yes Grundy could have taken a mark or brought the ball to ground.

I also thought Pickett should have done better with his kicking. Just didn't steady and take his time

08-09-2023, 10:53 AM
Yeah, not the whole game. The last quarter Gawn down there in the last 10 minutes or so. Also resting in Fwd pocket during game.

Better than McDonald who couldn't even kick a goal from 10 metres out. Yes Grundy could have taken a mark or brought the ball to ground.

I also thought Pickett should have done better with his kicking. Just didn't steady and take his time

My mate said his soul left his body when Langdon played on and missed when Fritsch had a set shot free kick about 40 out.

08-09-2023, 11:28 AM
Collingwood's knack for getting even contributions from their ham-and-eggers makes me jealous.

As an aside, I could count on one hand the number of our blokes I wouldn't personally drive to the Lexus Centre in a swap for Maynard.

08-09-2023, 11:37 AM
Collingwood's knack for getting even contributions from their ham-and-eggers makes me jealous.

As an aside, I could count on one hand the number of our blokes I wouldn't personally drive to the Lexus Centre in a swap for Maynard.

I love the guy. I had him in my top 5 players I think at the start of the season. It's more what he brings, the intensity. Imagine being out there with him you'd go to the next level.

Look at guys like Markov. That's the beauty of AFL, you have 23 guys and if you can get them all pulling together leveraging good coaching then you can do anything. Dogs 2016 is a good example.

08-09-2023, 11:41 AM
I love the guy. I had him in my top 5 players I think at the start of the season. It's more what he brings, the intensity. Imagine being out there with him you'd go to the next level.

Look at guys like Markov. That's the beauty of AFL, you have 23 guys and if you can get them all pulling together leveraging good coaching then you can do anything. Dogs 2016 is a good example.

He plays hard and makes other players walk tall. I would have him anytime.

08-09-2023, 11:55 AM
Yep - Maynard is almost my favourite non-Bulldogs player.

The guy is everything you want in a leader; uncompromising, fearless, intense, skilful.

You'd love to walk into a final next to him.

Our list is almost the polar opposite of him; inconsistent and conditional with their effort. Two things he never waivers on.

08-09-2023, 12:00 PM
So was it Mcrae who sparked this intensity and 100% effort into his players, or is it the players themselves delivering it?

Are our guys capable of something similar under the right environment or do they just not have it in them?

08-09-2023, 01:08 PM

I?d like to have think we seriously considered Markov too. Speed, height, low on fumbles, decent disposal, hard at it.

08-09-2023, 01:25 PM
So was it Mcrae who sparked this intensity and 100% effort into his players, or is it the players themselves delivering it?

Are our guys capable of something similar under the right environment or do they just not have it in them?

There's a drawer overflowing with evidence on how we respond in pressure situations that might prove a helpful guide ...

Putting it as diplomatically as I can I think we're just built differently and have never really replaced the competitive appetite and steely edge that (with hindsight) seemed to evaporate once the likes of Moz, Moyd, Pickers & Clay Smith departed.

As to Maynard, he's endearing because he's a hard bastard but behind the ferocity there's also highly intelligent footballer who loves his role and is very, very good at it.

08-09-2023, 01:36 PM
There's a drawer overflowing with evidence on how we respond in pressure situations that might prove a helpful guide ...

Putting it as diplomatically as I can I think we're just built differently and have never really replaced the competitive appetite and steely edge that (with hindsight) seemed to evaporate once the likes of Moz, Moyd, Pickers & Clay Smith departed.

As to Maynard, he's endearing because he's a hard bastard but behind the ferocity there's also highly intelligent footballer who loves his role and is very, very good at it.

This is our biggest issue in my opinion. It's what we're missing most. Those idiots who claim our flag was a fluke due to how we've fared since completely overlook how much these guys drove the bus in 2016. As you said, we're built differently now. I could hardly name one player on our current list with an appetite for the contest like those guys.

There is a lot of 2016 Bulldogs in this Collingwood outfit.

08-09-2023, 03:01 PM
I never ever want to see Carlton win a final

I've only known Carlton to be average. Only really seen them win a couple of flags.

08-09-2023, 03:05 PM
I've only known Carlton to be average. Only really seen them win a couple of flags.

The cheating, the paper bags, the arrogance, comments about Tragic History etc etc.

08-09-2023, 03:07 PM
The cheating, the paper bags, the arrogance, comments about Tragic History etc etc.

Yeah, fair calls all round. My hate of Melbourne runs deep though.

Can we agree both don't play the Grand Final then?

08-09-2023, 03:07 PM

Absolutely

08-09-2023, 07:17 PM
What is the weather like in Melbourne tonight?

Forecast seems to be for rain and strong winds. If so, I don't think that favours Carlton.

08-09-2023, 07:25 PM

Forecast seems to be for rain and strong winds. If so, I don't think that favours Carlton.

It has been a crazy day in Melbourne. Windy, cold and wet. One of those days when you step outside you want to go straight back inside.

It is currently 10c with a feel like temp of 7c. The wind has modertated this evening but we are still getting gustts of over 50 km/h in Melbourne.

08-09-2023, 07:34 PM
It has been a crazy day in Melbourne. Windy, cold and wet. One of those days when you step outside you want to go straight back inside.

It is currently 10c with a feel like temp of 7c. The wind has modertated this evening but we are still getting gustts of over 50 km/h in Melbourne.

Thanks.

Would you agree that these conditions do not favour Carlton's star tall forwards?

08-09-2023, 07:37 PM
Thanks.

Would you agree that these conditions do not favour Carlton's star tall forwards?

Perhaps but they also have some good smaller forwards as well. Should be a good game but Carlton should start strong favorites.

08-09-2023, 07:55 PM
Perhaps but they also have some good smaller forwards as well. Should be a good game but Carlton should start strong favorites.

Interesting that they chose not to play Motlop. He is the sub.

08-09-2023, 07:58 PM

Shit.

08-09-2023, 08:33 PM
Thanks.

Currently raining across the ground.

08-09-2023, 08:37 PM
Currently raining across the ground.

Excellent.

IMO the Swans will be better in those conditions.

Swans by 13.

First goal Papley.

BOG my man Warner

08-09-2023, 10:03 PM

Yes unforgivable.

08-09-2023, 10:05 PM

Why?
Down a looooong time.
Why the hate?
Our state's central team by location.

08-09-2023, 10:08 PM
Rain came 2 quarters too late.

08-09-2023, 10:11 PM
This is a shitty finals series.
Dislike the Filth
Dislike the cheats
Dislike the orange Jumanji
Dislike the silver spoons
Couldn't give two rats for the SA filth
Still hurting from the German diver
If only the Bloods can let 2016, go we won get over it.
That leaves The Lions which I could get behind but then there that fella that used to play for us err. what's his name.

08-09-2023, 10:13 PM
This is a shitty finals series.
Dislike the Filth
Dislike the cheats
Dislike the orange Jumanji
Dislike the silver spoons
Couldn't give two rats for the SA filth
Still hurting from the German diver
If only the Bloods can let 2016, go we won get over it.
That leaves The Lions which I could get behind but then there that fella that used to play for us err. what's his name.

Haha, spot on HD60

08-09-2023, 10:14 PM
How did Sydney make finals? They have zero weapons forward of centre.

08-09-2023, 10:21 PM

North have up an interchange free with a minute to go.
Dogs choked to final minutes.
Adelaide robbed with that (non poster) with a minute to go.

12 premiership points.

08-09-2023, 10:21 PM

An interchange gaffe by north and the missed goal by the crows and beating us by 2 points

08-09-2023, 10:46 PM
Carlton with a massive dick kissing from the umpires at the moment.

Give something for Sydney fans to sook about.

08-09-2023, 10:55 PM

The AFL hates Sydney dontcha know? It's why they gave them COLA only to greedily take it away because they kept recruiting up and coming youngsters for unrelated reasons.

08-09-2023, 11:02 PM
The AFL hates Sydney dontcha know? It's why they gave them COLA only to greedily take it away because they kept recruiting up and coming youngsters for unrelated reasons.

Seeing that throw from De Koning and the clear 'Insufficient Intent' from Acres I'm on the Sydney is hated by the umps train

08-09-2023, 11:15 PM
Gulden's a heck of a player

08-09-2023, 11:30 PM
Sydney got ****ed tonight. I'm not unhappy about it, but at the same time I ****ing hate idiot Carlton people and I also hate how Cripps gets an armchair ride.

Carlton are my second team as well.

08-09-2023, 11:32 PM
Gulden's a heck of a player

I underestimated him. He's an absolute star.

I think Carlton are a better match for Melbourne, who I hope go out in straight sets. But that means Carlton advances. Lose lose.

08-09-2023, 11:33 PM
I underestimated him. He's an absolute star.

I think Carlton are a better match for Melbourne, who I hope go out in straight sets. But that means Carlton advances. Lose lose.

One makes the Prelim :mad:

08-09-2023, 11:34 PM
That was Carlton's grand final

08-09-2023, 11:35 PM

Agree, can't see them beating Melbourne

08-09-2023, 11:36 PM

Agree with that. They looked overawed through most of that final quarter, I think the Dee's maturity and experience will be way too much for them next week

08-09-2023, 11:47 PM

#freekickbulldogs

08-09-2023, 11:54 PM
Acres solid in a final again, he is an example of a role player that we are missing.

08-09-2023, 11:55 PM

They have players who show up with consistent will to win.

09-09-2023, 12:03 AM
Acres solid in a final again, he is an example of a role player that we are missing.
Was clearly playing hurt as well. That play in the past 5 mins, where he chased his own kick to space and laid a tackle near the wing to lock it in, was very gutsy.

Really enjoyed that game, high intensity and high pressure.

09-09-2023, 12:04 AM
It was an unconvincing win. Carlton are very susceptible under pressure. They were lucky with the two goal reviews which will make the Age journalist who was today given a full column to have a good old whinge about the poor old Swannies, complete with 2016 rehashed conspiracy claims, very upset indeed.

I hate Carlton being talked up as a good news story. I am with you BAD. They are loathsome and we should dread the possibility they will be good again.

09-09-2023, 12:05 AM
Th football Gods we’re smiling on the Blues tonight.

09-09-2023, 12:46 AM
Blues last three wins

4 points
4 points
6 points

09-09-2023, 02:23 AM
So what lessons can our club learn from the first 2 finals?

I can think of at least two.

The first, and most obvious one is that bad goalkicking loses you games.

The second is that if you don't come out to play in the first quarter, you are unlikely to win.

09-09-2023, 02:26 AM
So what lessons can our club learn from the first 2 finals?

I can think of at least two.

The first, and most obvious one is that bad goalkicking loses you games.

The second is that if you don't come out to play in the first quarter, you are unlikely to win.

Very even spread of performances from both winning sides - there hasn't been a few 9/10 performances that have dragged them across the line, it's been a team of guys who are putting in consistently solid performances across the board. Get 22 players 'doing their job' and don't rely on your big guns to make it all happen.

09-09-2023, 07:17 AM
Both losing sides have done their best to channel the bulldogs.

We didn’t make tge finals, they are just showing us how we would have stunk it up.

09-09-2023, 08:23 AM
Agree, can't see them beating Melbourne

Why not? Didn?t the beat them only a few weeks ago?

Wetering will have a day out against the demons.

09-09-2023, 10:14 AM

Yep, last game between them was a tight and low scoring slog (9 goals to 8). The Dees could definitely turn the tables but I can't see next week being much different to the last time in terms of game style and aesthetic. Both sets of mids are very tough at the contest and both teams have excellent defensive structure - I'd hate to be a forward for either team next Friday night.

09-09-2023, 10:43 AM

Curnow and Weitering were massive in the last quarter. Having guys that can control the air is so critical when defending a lead.

09-09-2023, 04:17 PM
Go Zaino.

09-09-2023, 04:42 PM
I find myself really wanting to see St Kilda lose. Still not over 2009.

09-09-2023, 04:44 PM

but the alternative

09-09-2023, 04:46 PM
but the alternative

Yeah don't worry, I'm about to go and have a shower.

09-09-2023, 04:46 PM
Can anyone explain to me what happened to the following rule:

If you are tackled and you put the ball on the ground while still being held then it was HTB. Umpires never pay this.

09-09-2023, 04:48 PM

Same. Hate them. Especially with Lyon back.

Not sure how they made the finals it's a really weak list.

09-09-2023, 04:51 PM
Same. Hate them. Especially with Lyon back.

Not sure how they made the finals it's a really weak list.

Maybe someone should start a thread…

09-09-2023, 05:00 PM
Feel dirty for saying it but the Giants are good and I wish we played like them. Daring, momentum, skillful footy.

09-09-2023, 05:00 PM
Does Toby Greene have BO - no one is ever on him

09-09-2023, 05:03 PM
Feel dirty for saying it but the Giants are good and I wish we played like them. Daring, momentum, skillful footy.

I like watching them in their current iteration. Might be an unpopular take thread nomination…

09-09-2023, 05:04 PM

They are really good to watch. They should win by ten plus goals.

09-09-2023, 05:05 PM
Why did nobody at all suggest trying to get Toby Bedford?

Tidy looking player.

09-09-2023, 05:09 PM
I hate how umpires pay that shit. Butler dived.

Sure, pay them every time someone pushes another person if that's what you want to do, but don't randomly pick one every few weeks.

09-09-2023, 05:10 PM

Tidy looking player.

Looks ok, but shouldn't be playing after elbowing someone in the head

09-09-2023, 05:14 PM
The trouble with the Saints is they were 4th bottom for kicking goals this year, even though they had least amount kicked against them. In Finals it is a different story with GWS not afraid to take them on and use the corridor.

09-09-2023, 05:16 PM
It’s great for the competition for GWS to be smashing a different club in finals.

09-09-2023, 05:29 PM
I hate GWS and not a fan of Saints, but prefer Saints to win. Just can't support the plastics

09-09-2023, 05:34 PM
Can these goal umpires ever make a ****ing decision?

09-09-2023, 05:35 PM
Bad free to concede.

09-09-2023, 05:36 PM

Tidy looking player.

Yeah that mjp bloke hasn’t mentioned him once.

09-09-2023, 05:37 PM
Can these goal umpires ever make a ****ing decision?

Bloody hopeless

09-09-2023, 05:37 PM
Yeah that mjp bloke hasn’t mentioned him once.

Strange.

09-09-2023, 06:09 PM
And I was just thinking 'has Greene gouged anyone yet'?

09-09-2023, 06:16 PM
Do Aints now roll over?

The only real question now.

09-09-2023, 06:17 PM
37 points up deep in the third. Goodnight St Kilda.

09-09-2023, 06:19 PM
And I was just thinking 'has Greene gouged anyone yet'?

Bring it on and lets see what the tribunal does.

09-09-2023, 06:25 PM
Bring it on and lets see what the tribunal does.

They won't even look at it and all the commentary will completely ignore that it occurred.

09-09-2023, 06:26 PM
Saints keep hanging in but can't bridge the gap.

4 goals and game is on in the last

09-09-2023, 06:37 PM
Supercoach Ross puts Phillipou in the guts at a critical stage of a final.
Time for bed old boy.

Green blew on him and he went flying.

09-09-2023, 06:40 PM
Just turned TV on-there must be at least 40 GWS fans in the cheer squad. Wowee. If Grub and Whitfield were not playing for them I could possibly enjoy watching them.

I think their coach is a good ‘un so happy for him.

09-09-2023, 06:46 PM
Gee, Zaine getting owned by Riccardi. Should have a few more kicked on him if Jake was more accurate.

09-09-2023, 07:02 PM
Watching St. Kilda try to diffuse trouble by blindly flinging it around yet only inviting more trouble before the inevitable intercepted hack kick makes it feel like we actually qualified for finals after all so thank you Saints for the vicarious thrill.

09-09-2023, 08:07 PM
Just turned TV on-there must be at least 40 GWS fans in the cheer squad. Wowee. If Grub and Whitfield were not playing for them I could possibly enjoy watching them.

I think their coach is a good ‘un so happy for him.

I believe they are CGI generated.

09-09-2023, 08:41 PM
We need Brisbane out in straight sets to get a better draft pick

09-09-2023, 09:07 PM
Fletchers game tonight is showing why we bid on him. He has flown under the radar.

09-09-2023, 09:16 PM
Fletchers game tonight is showing why we bid on him. He has flown under the radar.

I think he's better than Ashcroft.

09-09-2023, 09:17 PM
How well does Lord move?

09-09-2023, 09:20 PM
How well does Lord move?

Amazing for a big bloke.

Dunks is built for finals. I blame you Jee.

09-09-2023, 09:20 PM
Swamp

Toby Greene's last 6 finals

2018 EF - $2,500 in fines
2018 SF - $2,500 in fines
2019 EF - $7,500 in fines
2019 SF - 1 week suspension
2019 GF
2021 EF - 6 week suspension

09-09-2023, 09:25 PM
We’re miles off matching both these sides physicality.

09-09-2023, 09:26 PM
Rozee's last two kicks have been pretty special.

How are port in front?

We’re miles off matching both these sides physicality.

We were this year. The same players by and large have matched or outmatched both teams.

Go Port!!

09-09-2023, 09:27 PM
Lions choke is on.

Get ready to bombard Alastair Lynch

Rozee's last two kicks have been pretty special.

Add in Butters and JHF it should be the best midfield for the next five years.

We were this year. The same players by and large have matched or outmatched both teams.

Woah woah.

That's not hysterical enough by half.

09-09-2023, 09:29 PM
Gee Rayner is fun to watch.

09-09-2023, 09:30 PM
Gee Rayner is fun to watch.
Went to school with my nephew.

Apparently wasnt a superstar young. But is now.

A rare Melbourne public school recruit.

09-09-2023, 09:32 PM
No way Marshall kicks like this in any game against us.

09-09-2023, 09:33 PM
Marshall misses so costly.

09-09-2023, 09:33 PM
No way Marshall kicks like this in any game against us.

Literal chewy on his boot.

09-09-2023, 09:38 PM
Port’s defending of stoppages inside 50 has been horrendous

09-09-2023, 09:42 PM
Fun game of footy - is Duursma's kicking what holds him back?

Burton's done a great job on Cameron too.

09-09-2023, 09:46 PM
I believe they are CGI generated.

Not so at their home games. I met some.

They told me that they are day release prisoners from nearby Silverwater Prison having a day out. The Giants club funds this.

09-09-2023, 10:15 PM
Lions Pies looks likely.

Christ, Dunks is going to win another flag.

09-09-2023, 10:18 PM
That's sliding every day of the week and exactly why the rule was introduced.

09-09-2023, 10:31 PM
Lord is from Geelong

It won't be long

09-09-2023, 10:42 PM
Would like to see the Lions go all the way

09-09-2023, 10:44 PM
Dunks for Clarke so far is shaping as the opposite of ponying up.
Let's hope the next pick is something.

How many teams have lost their B and F who goes onto play in the next GF.

09-09-2023, 10:45 PM
Would like to see the Lions go all the way

For zorko?

09-09-2023, 10:46 PM
Lions annoy me. Maybe I'm getting senile in my 30s, but I can find a reason to hate most of these clubs.

Funnily enough, Pies are my preference.

09-09-2023, 10:46 PM
Lions annoy me. Maybe I'm getting senile in my 30s, but I can find a reason to hate most of these clubs.

Same. I'm half pie though.

09-09-2023, 10:56 PM
For zorko?

Nah, my daughters are Lion supporters and have GF tickets if they make it.

09-09-2023, 10:57 PM
Nah, my daughters are Lion supporters and have GF tickets if they make it.

Ah fair enough

Also... Why.

09-09-2023, 11:02 PM
Ah fair enough

Also... Why.

Dogs were shit and the Lions were 3peating, girls arent as easy to brainwash as boys are.

But i do prefer the banter rather than just a Dogs echo chamber at home. More fun.

09-09-2023, 11:05 PM
So does this game change what you think of Ports chances this year?

Or is it just another Gabba game?

For me, this has been the most boring final this weekend. I'm off to YouTube to watch the Ukrainians blow Russians up.

09-09-2023, 11:10 PM

Yep, we rightly rated him highly.

09-09-2023, 11:20 PM
Quite a contrast to see how many players Brisbane rotated through the middle and how we setup this year. We miss Dunkley

09-09-2023, 11:20 PM
So does this game change what you think of Ports chances this year?

Or is it just another Gabba game?

For me, this has been the most boring final this weekend. I'm off to YouTube to watch the Ukrainians blow Russians up.

Yep agree. Lions were 100 points at 3\4 time.

Well done afl you've ruined the game. Stand...! Run out to the 50 to kick it out.

Lions have won 50 of last 58 at Gabba. Id send the vfl during the season.

09-09-2023, 11:48 PM
Lord is from Geelong

It won't be long

Related to Alistair browlow medallist?

10-09-2023, 12:22 AM

Just be mindful of how utterly disgusting their fans are as a collective. The team is good to watch, but Pies fans notwithstanding the ridiculous stereotypes are collectively horrible.

10-09-2023, 12:25 AM
If GWS beat Port next week then the latter is going to get a free pass from one person in the media but I would expect a massive pile on from everyone else.

10-09-2023, 01:09 AM
There is something lacking from this finals series, I'm not sure the quality has been there. Has the season gone too long?

10-09-2023, 02:22 AM
Just be mindful of how utterly disgusting their fans are as a collective. The team is good to watch, but Pies fans notwithstanding the ridiculous stereotypes are collectively horrible.

Did you see those fans after the WCE game? I think it's just a scale thing.

10-09-2023, 03:37 PM
If GWS beat Port next week then the latter is going to get a free pass from one person in the media but I would expect a massive pile on from everyone else.

Funnily enough David King has questioned Ports credentials for a number of weeks.

10-09-2023, 05:16 PM
Funnily enough David King has questioned Ports credentials for a number of weeks.

I still don't like him. :)

10-09-2023, 05:18 PM
Did you see those fans after the WCE game? I think it's just a scale thing.

I think a truer sign of how fans are is delivered when their teams are winning. We repress the memories only to find out the hard way, just wait until EFC start going OK again.

12-09-2023, 10:42 AM
Gawn injured. Demons might be the first top 4 club to go out in straight sets since this system has been in (2000).

12-09-2023, 10:44 AM
Gawn injured. Demons might be the first top 4 club to go out in straight sets since this system has been in (2000).

I read he will try and play through it - broken toe.

12-09-2023, 10:44 AM

How can that be true? Do you mean twice in a row?

12-09-2023, 11:04 AM
How can that be true? Do you mean twice in a row?

Oh yes, that key part of my statement I somehow left out.
Twice in a row.

12-09-2023, 12:25 PM
WEEK 2 - 2023 AFL FINALS SERIES

Friday, 15 September
First Semi-final, Melbourne vs Carlton, MCG, 7.50pm AEST

Saturday, 16 September
Second Semi-final, Port Adelaide vs GWS GIANTS, Adelaide Oval, 7.10pm ACT/ 7.40pm AEST

12-09-2023, 12:42 PM
In a footy sense only a bulldogs premiership would make me happier than Melbourne going out in straight sets.

12-09-2023, 12:49 PM
STRAIGHT-SETS EXITS
(Teams to lose a qualifying and semi-final in the same season since 2000)

2001: Port Adelaide (3rd)
2007: West Coast (3rd)
2014: Fremantle (4th)
2014: Geelong (3rd)
2015: Sydney (4th)
2016: Hawthorn (3rd)
2018: Hawthorn (4th)
2019: Brisbane (2nd)
2021: Brisbane (4th)
2022: Melbourne (2nd)

12-09-2023, 01:02 PM
In a footy sense only a bulldogs premiership would make me happier than Melbourne going out in straight sets.

Have to agree.

12-09-2023, 01:11 PM
STRAIGHT-SETS EXITS
(Teams to lose a qualifying and semi-final in the same season since 2000)

2001: Port Adelaide (3rd)
2007: West Coast (3rd)
2014: Fremantle (4th)
2014: Geelong (3rd)
2015: Sydney (4th)
2016: Hawthorn (3rd)
2018: Hawthorn (4th)
2019: Brisbane (2nd)
2021: Brisbane (4th)
2022: Melbourne (2nd)

Can someone help me out and let me know who eliminated Hawthorn in 2016?

12-09-2023, 01:21 PM
Have to agree.

Monkeys Paw, Carlton make a prelim

12-09-2023, 04:22 PM
Monkeys Paw, Carlton make a prelim

yeah, that is the issue

13-09-2023, 02:48 PM
This is my finest memory from last year's finals

https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1568216433422921728

13-09-2023, 02:58 PM

Very rarely is that free kick paid. It is a real disgrace.

13-09-2023, 03:22 PM

I'd be livid if that was paid against one of our blokes in a final but I love that it was paid against Lever and that he leaned into the bit beautifully by giving away a fifty.

13-09-2023, 03:31 PM
I'd be livid if that was paid against one of our blokes in a final but I love that it was paid against Lever and that he leaned into the bit beautifully by giving away a fifty.

Free kick every day of the week, but rarely paid. If you are tackled, you can't touch the ball on the ground.

13-09-2023, 03:41 PM

I liked the spin the best.

13-09-2023, 04:52 PM
Free kick every day of the week, but rarely paid. If you are tackled, you can't touch the ball on the ground.

Spot on, it not being paid is ridiculous, we aren't playing Rugby here.

14-09-2023, 12:00 PM
Schache will be sub this week.

14-09-2023, 12:11 PM

Good luck to the lad!

14-09-2023, 12:18 PM
Good luck to the lad!
He has his admirers. Then again, I was seat 1A on the Ed Barlow bandwagon.

14-09-2023, 01:21 PM
He has his admirers. Then again, I was seat 1A on the Ed Barlow bandwagon.

Nah I wouldn't say I'm an admirer per se. I think he's a wasted talent, but he seems like a good fella. I got nothing against him.

14-09-2023, 01:38 PM
Nah I wouldn't say I'm an admirer per se. I think he's a wasted talent, but he seems like a good fella. I got nothing against him.
I wasn't talking about you EW ;)

I like him as well - ultimately he lacked that absolute dog-hungry competitive urgency in the contest that the big blokes need, but he's not alone there. And he's playing finals this week, unlike the vast majority of his ex. teammates

14-09-2023, 04:01 PM

Good for him, I hope he has a blinder and stays in the team assuming they win.

15-09-2023, 09:12 PM
God Carlton are bad.

15-09-2023, 09:18 PM
God Carlton are bad.

TDK said I’ll show you.

15-09-2023, 09:27 PM
If we're talking fake tough guys, Pickett is streets ahead of Maynard.

15-09-2023, 09:34 PM
If we're talking fake tough guys, Pickett is streets ahead of Maynard.

Surely he gets a week for the Cripps bump?

15-09-2023, 09:36 PM
Would be nice to see Pickett get a ban, cherry picker like his uncle. Both love a cheap shot.

15-09-2023, 09:42 PM
Would be nice to see Pickett get a ban, cherry picker like his uncle. Both love a cheap shot.

Pickett is my most disliked player in the afl.

15-09-2023, 09:43 PM
TDK said I’ll show you.

Yeah I'm taking the credit for this!

For some reason I just want Melbourne to lose.

15-09-2023, 09:49 PM
Pickett is my most disliked player in the afl.

Just a grub.

Although there's a delicious irony in the fact he hit Cripps.

15-09-2023, 09:52 PM

Travesty he only got two for the bump on Baz. Should get another two for being dumb enough to do the same thing again.

Fritsch is my #1, but Kozzie is coming hard for #2. Lever rounds out my top 3, the petulant little baby.

15-09-2023, 09:56 PM
Travesty he only got two for the bump on Baz. Should get another two for being dumb enough to do the same thing again.

Fritsch is my #1, but Kozzie is coming hard for #2. Lever rounds out my top 3, the petulant little baby.

Aside from Fritsch's hair and face I can't find it in me to hate him. I'd love to have him in our side.

15-09-2023, 10:02 PM
Pickett is a grub and grossly overrated. Dumb footballer. Gives me great satisfaction to see the squib stinking it up once again.

15-09-2023, 10:09 PM
Pickett is a grub and grossly overrated. Dumb footballer. Gives me great satisfaction to see the squib stinking it up once again.

He is an absolute grub. The guy needs a huge spell to send a message. He's going to ruin a guys life the way he's going.

If they manage to make the grand final he surely won't be able to play due to suspension.

I'd love to hear Goodwins thoughts on how Pickett plays.

15-09-2023, 10:11 PM

That deserves at least 2 imo. If the afl are serious about concussions, they need to heavily penalise players who are opting to perform dangerous bumps to the head area. Pickett should have been rubbed out for 4-6 weeks for his hit on Baz. He's very lucky Baz wasn't concussed. Not that that should affect the punishment.

15-09-2023, 10:24 PM
Picket gives one to McGovern. He is losing it.

15-09-2023, 11:06 PM

Why? Cripps wasn't knocked out, it was a football action.

15-09-2023, 11:08 PM
Why? Cripps wasn't knocked out, it was a football action.

Was it? He chose to bump and left the ground and collected Cripps high.

15-09-2023, 11:18 PM
Hunter playing a great game

15-09-2023, 11:31 PM
Well done Blues, good win.