PDA

View Full Version : 2023 AFL All Australian Team

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 06:21 PM
The 44 man squad has been announced.

2023 AFL ALL-AUSTRALIAN SQUAD: Oscar Allen, Noah Anderson, Harris Andrews, Nick Blakey, Marcus Bontempelli, Luke Breust, Zak Butters, Charlie Cameron, Stephen Coniglio, Patrick Cripps, Charlie Curnow, Josh Daicos, Nick Daicos, Joe Daniher, Jordan Dawson, Jordan de Goey, Tim English, Tom Green, Toby Greene, Errol Gulden, Daniel Houston, Luke Jackson, Kyle Langford, Nick Larkey, Tom Liberatore, Rowan Marshall, Dustin Martin, Zach Merrett, Darcy Moore, Lachie Neale, Jai Newcombe, Christian Petracca, Isaac Quaynor, Mason Redman, Connor Rozee, Luke Ryan, Caleb Serong, James Sicily, Jack Sinclair, Tom Stewart, Jack Viney, Taylor Walker, Jacob Weitering, Callum Wilkie

Squad members by club
5 - Collingwood
4 - Brisbane
3 - Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle, GWS, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs
2 - Melbourne, Sydney
1 - Geelong, Gold Coast, North Melbourne, Richmond, West Coast

angelopetraglia
28-08-2023, 06:23 PM
No Tim Taranto, Max Gawn or Sam Taylor. Only 14 players from last year's squad of 44 have been named again. The final 22-man All-Australian team will be announced at the AFL Awards on Wednesday night.

English and Libba in line for their first jacket. Bont was AA in 2016, 2019, 2020 and 2021.

Grantysghost
28-08-2023, 07:19 PM
All 3 of our guys will be named

Bont has to be captain.

bornadog
28-08-2023, 07:38 PM
All 3 of our guys will be named

Bont has to be captain.
Media pushing Greene. what a joke

Grantysghost
28-08-2023, 07:46 PM
Media pushing Greene. what a joke

Makes a good story.

Go_Dogs
29-08-2023, 12:25 AM
Libba wont make it. He should but won’t.

A joke if Bont is captain. F Greene.

jazzadogs
29-08-2023, 12:54 AM
Libba wont make it. He should but won?t.

Fergus? Can't imagine he'll make the squad.

EasternWest
29-08-2023, 10:30 AM
Libba wont make it. He should but won’t.

Assume you mean a joke if Bont isn't captain?

bulldogtragic
29-08-2023, 10:43 AM
Assume you mean a joke if Bont isn't captain?

No. Has to be Parish. Even though not in the squad.

Sedat
29-08-2023, 10:44 AM
Unpopular opinion. Greene would be just as worthy an AA captain this year as Bont. It's a line-ball call for mine.

He's kicked 60 goals as a small forward and literally gotten them over the line with match-winning performances in several games this year. He is a rolled gold jet. Whoever is named captain, the other should be VC.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2023, 10:45 AM
Unpopular opinion. Greene would be just as worthy an AA captain this year as Bont. It's a line-ball call for mine.

He's kicked 60 goals as a small forward and literally gotten them over the line with match-winning displays in several games this year. He is a rolled gold jet. Whoever is captain, the other should be VC.

Agreed. He’s deserving as anyone based on the 2023 season alone.

GVGjr
29-08-2023, 10:47 AM

He's kicked 60 goals as a small forward and literally gotten them over the line with match-winning performances in several games this year. He is a rolled gold jet. Whoever is named captain, the other should be VC.

Greene has had a sensational season and has often carried his team. I'd still be a bit surprised if he was chosen ahead of Bont as the captain but I wouldn't moan about it.

bornadog
29-08-2023, 11:18 AM
Greene has had a sensational season and has often carried his team. I'd still be a bit surprised if he was chosen ahead of Bont as the captain but I wouldn't moan about it.

Captain has to also have some personal traits - Greene is a shit bloke.

GVGjr
29-08-2023, 11:26 AM
Captain has to also have some personal traits - Greene is a shit bloke.

Whats he done this year to rule himself out?
The selectors won't be considering past indiscretions given it's a 2023 team they're assembling.

jazzadogs
29-08-2023, 04:20 PM

Yeh but Toby was playing at a cohesive club full of professional players listening to the coach. Bont had to deal with our rabble.

Vote #1 Bont

Jasper
29-08-2023, 05:05 PM
You cant be looking into the rear view mirror to select a 2023 AA team. Tex and Toby might not be all time great guys but they have had impressive seasons. Is Bruest a fountain of youth selection? I just checked and he has kicked 47 goals this year.

bornadog
29-08-2023, 05:11 PM
You cant be looking into the rear view mirror to select a 2023 AA team. Tex and Toby might not be all time great guys but they have had impressive seasons. Is Bruest a fountain of youth selection? I just checked and he has kicked 47 goals this year.

Why do you think Ablett is not in the Hall of fame?

I think you need to look at the Character of a person not just their football ability - maybe it is just my bias.

Jasper
29-08-2023, 05:13 PM
Why do you think Ablett is not in the Hall of fame?

I think you need to look at the Character of a person not just their football ability - maybe it is just my bias.

HOF nominations are over a career. AA selection is specific to 2023 form and not much else unless you can share on what factors into it? Anyway arent you challenging him as the captain more than making the final squad?

bornadog
29-08-2023, 05:17 PM
HOF nominations are over a career. AA selection is specific to 2023 form and not much else unless you can share on what factors into it? Anyway arent you challenging him as the captain more than making the final squad?

True.

EasternWest
29-08-2023, 05:48 PM
I want Bont to be captain because he's Bont, but on the other hand making Greene captain would wake the sleeping Triggerati and I am here for it.

bornadog
29-08-2023, 05:50 PM
I want Bont to be captain because he's Bont, but on the other hand making Greene captain would wake the sleeping Triggerati and I am here for it.

I bet they give it to Greene.

I will never forget this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJAk3pSCcZk

Grantysghost
29-08-2023, 05:53 PM

Having seen who's on the panel I've got no doubt it will be Greene.
Probably deserved. We need to credit people who have bettered themselves.

bornadog
29-08-2023, 05:57 PM
Having seen who's on the panel I've got no doubt it will be Greene.
Probably deserved. We need to credit people who have bettered themselves.

Have you ever seen Bont stick his elbow into someone's neck while the player is lying on their back - bit like what Greene did to Duryea at Ballarat. A Tiger never changes its stripes.

EasternWest
29-08-2023, 05:59 PM
I bet they give it to Greene.

I will never forget this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJAk3pSCcZk

Ooh it hasn't even happened and I got a fish on the hook already:).

bornadog
29-08-2023, 06:01 PM
Ooh it hasn't even happened and I got a fish on the hook already:).

Nah, the AFL never surprises - I have already accepted it will happen

angelopetraglia
30-08-2023, 09:35 PM
From reports. Libba is not at the AA event, so it sounds like he has missed out on a spot in the team.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-08-2023, 09:50 PM
Bont awarded best captain.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-08-2023, 10:00 PM
And MVP!

Well done Bont on an amazing season. Probably the only one who can hold their head high.

kruder
30-08-2023, 10:03 PM
How lucky are we have to have the Bont! Seriously he is all class.

Grantysghost
30-08-2023, 10:04 PM
From reports. Libba is not at the AA event, so it sounds like he has missed out on a spot in the team.

What did this guy do to the AFL community? He's constantly overlooked.

insanity.

angelopetraglia
30-08-2023, 10:04 PM
I love Bont.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-08-2023, 10:06 PM
I love Bont.

I can't imagine where we'd be without him.

whythelongface
30-08-2023, 10:10 PM
I can't imagine where we'd be without him.

Absolutely the heart and soul of our club. What a champion

Grantysghost
30-08-2023, 10:13 PM
Butters won coaches award. Bont second.

109 Butters.
102 Bont.

Bont scored 15 in last rounds so could translate well for Brownlow.

Prince Imperial
30-08-2023, 10:26 PM
English is the 6th Bulldog to be an All-Australian ruckman.

angelopetraglia
30-08-2023, 10:28 PM
The look on Bont’s face said it all. Toby Greene captain of the AA team. Gee whiz!

whythelongface
30-08-2023, 10:30 PM
Bont captain of the year but not captain of AA team. Weird to say the least.

angelopetraglia
30-08-2023, 10:33 PM
Bont voted MVP and best Captain from the players.

But Kane Cornes and crew think Toby deserves it. Please.

Sedat
30-08-2023, 10:34 PM
Greene was an exceptional captain this year, as was Bont. Dawson and Moore were no slouches either, and in other years might have been C and VC.

Sicily too. It's been a hot season for club captains.

jeemak
30-08-2023, 10:36 PM
Greene is a shithead but he captained well this year and won plenty of games for his team.

Libba missing out is fine/ expected, he's not as dynamic as others and to be honest, the AFL establishment don't like the Liberatores or dudes who get caught on the street passed out with pingers in their pockets.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-08-2023, 10:40 PM

Weird indeed.

Scorlibo
30-08-2023, 10:41 PM
Greene is a shithead but he captained well this year and won plenty of games for his team.

Libba missing out is fine/ expected, he's not as dynamic as others and to be honest, the AFL establishment don't like the Liberatores or dudes who get caught on the street passed out with pingers in their pockets.

Now for another year of the media crowing 'is this guy a bit underrated'?

If he didn't get selected this year then that might be it for him, but who cares. In my mind he's the second best midfielder I've seen in a Dogs jumper, in front of Scotty West even. Absolute star.

Grantysghost
30-08-2023, 10:43 PM
I'd have Greene well behind Moore, Sicily, Dawson the Bont.

angelopetraglia
30-08-2023, 10:44 PM

Well they gave the captaincy to Toby.

jeemak
30-08-2023, 10:45 PM
Funny the two most talked up members of the team are a violent offender and a racist.

Scraggers
30-08-2023, 10:45 PM
Disappointed for Libba. Gulden had a fantastic season, but I think Libba was head and shoulders above

jeemak
30-08-2023, 10:46 PM

Yeah but he's an anglo saxon who commits acts of violence, they love that.

Flamethrower
30-08-2023, 10:47 PM
Toby Greene being named captain of the AA team has vibes of the Charlie Sheen character Ricky Vaughn in Major League.

Recruited by the Cleveland Indians out of the Californian Penal League. "How did you end up playing there?". "Stole a car".

In happier news, Mazel Tov to Rising Star Harry Sheezel, congratulations to Leigh Matthews Trophy winner Marcus Bontempelli, and well done to AA's Bont for the 5th time and Tim English for his 1st.

Sedat

If he didn't get selected this year then that might be it for him, but who cares. In my mind he's the second best midfielder I've seen in a Dogs jumper, in front of Scotty West even. Absolute star.
I'd go a step further - he has the 3rd best hands in close I've ever seen in the VFL/AFL for the last 50 years. Only Greg Wiliams and Sam Mitchell have him covered.

Libba is also an elite ball user by foot. What a player.

angelopetraglia

Scott was AA 5 times and won 7 Charles Sutton Medals. Could play.

angelopetraglia
30-08-2023, 10:49 PM
Toby “my pre game speeches are not that good and on the weekend it was horrific”

jeemak
30-08-2023, 10:50 PM
Scott was AA 5 times and won 7 Charles Sutton Medals. Could play.

Severely underrated around here.

angelopetraglia
30-08-2023, 10:54 PM
Nick Larkey draft pick #76. Some player and had an awesome season.

angelopetraglia
30-08-2023, 10:55 PM
Severely underrated around here.

He was an out and out star Westy.

jazzadogs
30-08-2023, 11:07 PM
I've tried to be okay with it, but I f***ing hate that Greene has been given the captaincy over Bont.

At least the players vote went the right way.

Dry Rot
30-08-2023, 11:10 PM
Disappointed for Libba. Gulden had a fantastic season, but I think Libba was head and shoulders above

Agreed.

So here's a challenge to Woofers.

Name your alternative AA team for 2023 not including any officially AFL named AA team members.

Only one rule, players selected play in their actual position.

And then. tell is how your team would go against the selected one.

Over to you.

Sedat
30-08-2023, 11:13 PM
Agreed.

Name your alternative AA team for 2023 not including any officially AFL named AA team members.

Over to you.
Libba for Merrett on the bench. Otherwise no other personnel changes for mine.

Dry Rot
30-08-2023, 11:19 PM
Libba for Merrett on the bench. Otherwise no other personnel changes for mine.

Have a crack a total alternate team.

bornadog
30-08-2023, 11:24 PM
Toby “my pre game speeches are not that good and on the weekend it was horrific”
Absolute joke he is Captain, can't even put two words together.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2023, 11:26 PM

The All Panamanian Team.

jeemak
30-08-2023, 11:28 PM
Agreed.

Over to you.

Do it yourself mate, Jesus.

:)

jazzadogs
30-08-2023, 11:35 PM
Agreed.

Over to you.

B: Quaynor May Blakey
HB: Redman Andrews Ryan
C: Nic Martin Viney IsaacSmith
HF: Dusty jCameronTaranto
FF: Langford Allen Breust
R: Marshall Libba TomGreen
Int: Gawn Neale Coniglio Tim Kelly

Dry Rot
31-08-2023, 01:15 AM
B: Quaynor May Blakey
HB: Redman Andrews Ryan
C: Nic Martin Viney IsaacSmith
HF: Dusty jCameronTaranto
FF: Langford Allen Breust
R: Marshall Libba TomGreen
Int: Gawn Neale Coniglio Tim Kelly

I reckon your back line is harder than the AA one and has more run.

Grantysghost
31-08-2023, 07:54 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/y8vvFnGd/Screenshot-20230831-065134.png (https://postimg.cc/21LQYdrR)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
31-08-2023, 08:46 AM
Still can't believe Libba didn't get a guernsey.

GVGjr
31-08-2023, 09:10 AM
Still can't believe Libba didn't get a guernsey.

There are always some baffling decisions, Liberatore has been huge for us this season but it's a very strong list this year.

Grantysghost
31-08-2023, 09:30 AM
There are always some baffling decisions, Liberatore has been huge for us this season but it's a very strong list this year.

Josh Daicos give me a spell!

GVGjr
31-08-2023, 09:51 AM
Josh Daicos give me a spell!

I've watched the pies a bit more than normal and he's had a good season but he might have been the most lucky one selected.

Sedat
31-08-2023, 10:19 AM
I've watched the pies a bit more than normal and he's had a good season but he might have been the most lucky one selected.
I can't cop seeing inside mids being selected on the wing in AA, as has happened in years past. If Josh Daicos was best wingman, he deserves his place.

Bulldog4life
31-08-2023, 11:56 AM

Last year they gave the captaincy to Tom Hawkins who wasn't even a club captain. You really take their choice of captain with a grain of salt.

Scorlibo
31-08-2023, 01:16 PM

Nick Larkey is lucky to be on the bench. He's kicked a lot of goals but that's just one measure. In most other areas he's below par for a key forward.

Agreed.

Over to you.

I reckon this side would give it a good shake.

B - Ballard - Andrews - Vlastuin
HB - Saad - Cox - Blakey
C - N. Martin - Liberatore - Wood
HF - Bolton - Daniher - D. Martin
F - Langford - Hawkins - Rankine
Foll - Marshall - Anderson - Newcombe
I - Whitfield - Heeney - Jackson - De Goey

Sedat
31-08-2023, 01:29 PM
I just noticed that Tom farken Stewart got a gig in the AA team - is this the same Tom Stewart who missed 7 odd games and also couldn't even deal with the might of VDM on the weekend? Fark this bloke and the AA selectors for having one automatic selection every year as part of contractual obligations for the Pissant Stadium redevelopment

Stick Houston in BP, Nick Daicos HBF and Libba in the starting midfield. Problem solved.

bornadog
31-08-2023, 02:19 PM
I just noticed that Tom farken Stewart got a gig in the AA team - is this the same Tom Stewart who missed 7 odd games and also couldn't even deal with the might of VDM on the weekend? Fark this bloke and the AA selectors for having one automatic selection every year as part of contractual obligations for the Pissant Stadium redevelopment

Stick Houston in BP, Nick Daicos HBF and Libba in the starting midfield. Problem solved.

This is the trouble with AA selectors, they pick some players on reputation.

Axe Man
31-08-2023, 02:23 PM

If 1 game is 7 odd then yes.

Sedat
31-08-2023, 02:33 PM
If 1 game is 7 odd then yes.
I read that somewhere so stand to be corrected - I go out of my way to not watch Geelong.

Fark him anyway :D

jeemak
31-08-2023, 02:41 PM
I read that somewhere so stand to be corrected - I go out of my way to not watch Geelong.

Fark him anyway :D

I was on the journey with you.

azabob
31-08-2023, 02:57 PM
I sympathise with Bontempelli.

To be vice captain is a huge achievement - but to see him seated next to the thug with his shit eating grin is enough to make me throw up.

bornadog
31-08-2023, 03:06 PM
I sympathise with Bontempelli.

To be vice captain is a huge achievement - but to see him seated next to the thug with his shit eating grin is enough to make me throw up.

The gutless shit who attacked Bont pinned down by GWS players while he pulled Bont's hair and scratched his eyes. Will never forgive him or the AFL for letting him play the following week (when he did it again and finally got suspended)

No doubt a good footballer, but Captain is more than that.

The bulldog tragician
31-08-2023, 03:51 PM
The gutless shit who attacked Bont pinned down by GWS players while he pulled Bont's hair and scratched his eyes. Will never forgive him or the AFL for letting him play the following week (when he did it again and finally got suspended)

No doubt a good footballer, but Captain is more than that.
He won’t have changed either. Another transgression is never far away, in fact finals could well bring it on.

jazzadogs
31-08-2023, 03:54 PM
He won’t have changed either. Another transgression is never far away, in fact finals could well bring it on.

He drove his forearm into Duryea neck while he lay on the ground, only a month ago.

What a redemption arc though! Love it when you see one of the lads come good. He's such a good bloke!

azabob
31-08-2023, 04:45 PM
He drove his forearm into Duryea neck while he lay on the ground, only a month ago.

What a redemption arc though! Love it when you see one of the lads come good. He's such a good bloke!

The reason Weitering grabbed at his face on the weekend was because he had a choke hold on the other Carlton player...

bornadog
31-08-2023, 04:46 PM
The reason Weitering grabbed at his face on the weekend was because he had a choke hold on the other Carlton player...

No one said anything about the choke hold, plus, he wouldn't let go.

angelopetraglia
31-08-2023, 05:02 PM
Also, Toby was a such a good bloke, he dobbed him in post match.

angelopetraglia
31-08-2023, 05:10 PM
Serioulsy question.

What drove the media campaign to make him AA Captain? Why?

Bont has one of the most dominant seasons you will ever see. He is upstanding citzen. Almost a perfect role model. Has led the club incredibly well. Is univerasally loved and admired.

Yet they push the campaign of Toby with his history of thuggery and he isn't in the same ball park as a role model. I just don't get it.

Sedat
31-08-2023, 06:15 PM
Serioulsy question.

Bont has one of the most dominant seasons you will ever see. He is upstanding citzen. Almost a perfect role model. Has led the club incredibly well. Is univerasally loved and admired.

Yet they push the campaign of Toby with his history of thuggery and he isn't in the same ball park as a role model. I just don't get it.
Because in season 2023 Greene was an absolute stud for his club and was clearly an inspirational leader, single-handedly getting GWS over the line in several matches. I don't see it as a slight at all on Bont (or Sicily, Moore and Dawson, who were all amazing leaders for their respective clubs in 2023). Maybe the selectors decided that the only way to separate Greene and Bont was that Greene's match-winning heroics got his team into finals and Bont's just missed out.

Agree it is a little weird that Bont was voted best captain but missed out on AA captain, but the AFEL has never been a normal organisation. And there's a bit of the "bad boy redemption" narrative as others have alluded - that doesn't take away from Greene's elite season. He's no MENSA graduate but he undoubtedly leads by example on the field.

It shows what a hot field AA captain was in 2023 - all 5 afore-mentioned players would have easily been given the honour ahead of the 2022 AA captain (who wasn't even his own club captain) had their seasons been replicated 12 months earlier.

Scorlibo
31-08-2023, 06:17 PM
Serioulsy question.

The media are storytellers, and Greene is the ultimate 'character'. Him being made captain was all that they needed to sniff out a redemption arc narrative.

Add to that the reality of the media boys club - they've all been keeping secret vigils for Toby's biff.

Grantysghost
31-08-2023, 06:28 PM
Because in season 2023 Greene was an absolute stud for his club and was clearly an inspirational leader, single-handedly getting them over the line in several matches. I don't see it as a slight at all on Bont (or Sicily, Moore and Dawson, who were all amazing leaders for their respective clubs in 2023). Maybe the selectors decided that the only way to separate Greene and Bont was that Greene's match-winning heroics got his team into finals and Bont's just missed out.

Agree it is a little weird that Bont was voted best captain but missed out on AA captain, but the AFEL has never been a normal organisation.

It shows what a hot field AA captain was in 2023 - all 5 afore-mentioned players would have easily been given the honour ahead of the 2022 AA captain (who wasn't even his own club captain) had their seasons been replicated 12 months earlier.

If we are just looking at this season, which is the brief, he's a deserved choice.
Pains me to say it though.
We don't have to look much further than the Ballarat game to see the impact he has.
My only question is what is there criteria for captain?

angelopetraglia
31-08-2023, 06:46 PM
AA Captains

2023 Greene
2022 Hawkins
2021 Gawn
2020 Danger
2019 Fyfe
2018 Franklin
2017 Rance
2016 Selwood
2015 Murphy
2014 Selwood
2013 Selwood
2012 Glass
2011 Ablett
2010 Hodge
2009 N. Riewoldt
2008 Judd
2007 McLeod
2006 B. Johnson
2005 Ricciuto
2004 Ricciuto
2003 Voss
2002 Voss
2001 Hird
2000 Carey

angelopetraglia
31-08-2023, 06:47 PM
Looking at the list of AA Captains this century. I would say the criteria is great players, who had a great season, who are universaly respected and are in the second half of their careers. Selwood maybe the exception getting it in his 7th season.

angelopetraglia
31-08-2023, 09:20 PM
Cornes
(He officially hates us)

Tom Liberatore (Western Bulldogs)

“There are always good players that miss out. He was certainly unlucky, we discussed him at length.

“He’s not the first player that’s unlucky to miss out.

“I wonder whether the Dogs if their season overall hurt them, this is just an observation.

“To have three midfielders from the Western Bulldogs in a season as disappointing as it was. I’m not sure how that sits.

“They win the clearances often, but it doesn’t amount to wins.”

macca
31-08-2023, 09:30 PM
Cornes
(He officially hates us)

Tom Liberatore (Western Bulldogs)

“There are always good players that miss out. He was certainly unlucky, we discussed him at length.

“He’s not the first player that’s unlucky to miss out.

“I wonder whether the Dogs if their season overall hurt them, this is just an observation.

“To have three midfielders from the Western Bulldogs in a season as disappointing as it was. I’m not sure how that sits.

“They win the clearances often, but it doesn’t amount to wins.”

Cornes, Libba does his job every single games, its not his fault the rest of the team does not decided to turn up.

Cornes what a great block to say that on Libba.

Libba is the heart and soul of the team. When his out, we are working on half-cyclinders.

I cannot believe Libba missed out. What a joke the AA has become. I would rate him above Rozee.

contested possessions: 14.5 Libba vs 8.5 Rozze

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=14&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=6617&pid2=3486&fid1=S&fid2=S

BornInDroopSt'54
31-08-2023, 10:06 PM
A fantasy side.
Put the big V on Libba in the guts, you will be proud of him.