PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog Worst Kicks?

GVGjr
10-09-2023, 11:29 AM
Over the years which Bulldogs players kicking skills frustrated you the most?

One for me was Adam Contessa. I rated his attack on the footy but he frequently butchered the ball and it was frustrating to say the least.

So lets hear your thoughts?

bulldogtragic
10-09-2023, 11:43 AM
A bunch in this current outfit.

Marra this year. 35m is his range with his current routine.
Naughton. Misses easy goals, but can?t go into defence apparently cause he?s so bad by foot.
McNeil makes the very easy seem completely impossible.
VDM not great.
Keath turns it over rather regularly.
Bailey Smith can?t hit a target.

Happy Days
10-09-2023, 12:21 PM
Sam Darley came advertised as an elite user and I think he had more balls hit his shin than his foot.

Mofra
10-09-2023, 12:23 PM
On the VFL games I saw, Nick Bruton had some... ah... 'work to do'

bulldogtragic
10-09-2023, 12:23 PM
Before Sam Power gets nominated, I thought his floaters were generally pretty effective.

jazzadogs
10-09-2023, 01:13 PM
Mitch Hahn had the worst style...but my god it was effective.

Brian Lake always seemed to put a lot of air on his kicks.

Virgin-Dog
10-09-2023, 01:41 PM
Mitch Hahn had the worst style...but my god it was effective.

Brian Lake always seemed to put a lot of air on his kicks.
Not a Bulldog, but I recall Michael Johnson (Freo) having an odd, very distinctive kicking method, but never missed a target. Outstanding kick

Go_Dogs
10-09-2023, 02:17 PM
How has no one mentioned Christian Howard??

GVGjr
10-09-2023, 02:21 PM
How has no one mentioned Christian Howard??

He wasn't a bad kick just not how he was advertised to be.

Go_Dogs
10-09-2023, 02:24 PM
He wasn't a bad kick just not how he was advertised to be.

Fair enough. My memory of him is kicking a few absolute howlers but it probably is due to how we positioned his recruitment which has prejudiced my memories of him!

lemmon
10-09-2023, 02:25 PM
Michael Talia was a shocker from memory

D Mitchell
10-09-2023, 04:15 PM
Not a Bulldog, but I recall Michael Johnson (Freo) having an odd, very distinctive kicking method, but never missed a target. Outstanding kick
If it's an odd kicking style you are after, you can't go past Robert McGhie.

mjp
10-09-2023, 05:04 PM
Before Sam Power gets nominated, I thought his floaters were generally pretty effective.

Sam "The Scalpel" Power.

Never quite lived up to Mike Sheahan's rating though, did he!!

mjp
10-09-2023, 05:05 PM
"Sedat - If you can't kick, get off the track".

Fair enough!!

Rocket Science
10-09-2023, 05:08 PM
I happened across a table I can't seem to locate that ranked teams' field kicking according to retention rate by foot, ie; the likelihood that when you kick it, it ends up going to a teammate.

We were ranked 3rd last so my answer is everyone.

As to set shots, Naughton's action alone makes me recoil with dread before the ball even leaves his boot.

merantau
10-09-2023, 07:49 PM
I don't get triggered as much by bad kicking as I do by fumbling. Clean hands is a very under rated skill.
Poor kick? Bailey Smith turns it over a lot. Fix that and fix his focus and he has all the weapons needed to become elite. He is still a kid. His future is limitless.

soupman
10-09-2023, 10:32 PM

Weird double handed type ball drop wasn't it? And he'd hold it with both his hands right up high at the pointy end.

Gardner's first few games were as bad as we've seen, but to his credit he has tidied up his limited disposal.

Sedat
11-09-2023, 10:32 AM
If the goalposts were located on the wings, he would have been the most damaging midfielder in the game.

GVGjr
11-09-2023, 11:03 AM
If the goalposts were located on the wings, he would have been the most damaging midfielder in the game.

Power was a neat kick at the junior level because he had time and space, in the seniors though he couldn't get it on his terms as often and he struggled. Still he played 120 senior games so carved out a decent career.

Before I Die
11-09-2023, 11:25 AM
Gary Dempsey
David Thorpe
Ian Salmon

Two greats of the club and a cult hero (for some).

ledge
11-09-2023, 11:34 AM
Mocca Dunstan 30 to 40 possessions a game and all but one or two hit the target.

Grantysghost
11-09-2023, 11:35 AM
This one is easy.

Mark West.

Happy Days
11-09-2023, 11:36 AM
Matthew Boyd’s Nathan Buckley tribute act from 2011-2014 nearly made me jump the fence a few times.

Can’t believe no one has mentioned McComb yet. Or are we just pretending he never happened (I’m down btw).

Grantysghost
11-09-2023, 11:43 AM
Matthew Boyd’s Nathan Buckley tribute act from 2011-2014 nearly made me jump the fence a few times.

Can’t believe no one has mentioned McComb yet. Or are we just pretending he never happened (I’m down btw).

Haha, don't ever leave again.

Yes both fine fine nominations.

ledge
11-09-2023, 12:46 PM
Maybe include Scott Wynd , he knew he couldn’t kick at all, so he just handballed.

GVGjr
11-09-2023, 01:36 PM
Nigel Kellet could get some distance with his kicks but he was shocking off his left foot. Avoid at all costs

Twodogs
11-09-2023, 01:47 PM
If it's an odd kicking style you are after, you can't go past Robert McGhie.

Mark Komp says hello.

The absolute worst kick I've ever seen. His kicking technique looked like a crab in labour.

So obviously we had him kick in after the other side kicked a behind. Their forwards would just form a line about 30 metres from the goalmouth and take it in turns to mark his kickins.

Twodogs
11-09-2023, 01:50 PM
Maybe include Scott Wynd , he knew he couldn’t kick at all, so he just handballed.

I think over his last 3 years he only kicked the ball once. A Joe the goose from a handball receive in the goalsquare.

Twodogs
11-09-2023, 01:53 PM
Mocca Dunstan 30 to 40 possessions a game and all but one or two hit the target.

The only player I've seen kick the ball higher than it went longer. And not just once, every time. I sat at ground level at VFL Park one day and his kicks went higher than the light towers.

By the time they came down nearly every player on the ground would be parked under the ball for the marking contest.

Bullies
11-09-2023, 01:59 PM
McComb by a mile which makes it more staggering how he got a contract at the elite level and games to go with it.

bornadog
11-09-2023, 03:04 PM
The only player I've seen kick the ball higher than it went longer. And not just once, every time. I sat at ground level at VFL Park one day and his kicks went higher than the light towers.

By the time they came down nearly every player on the ground would be parked under the ball for the marking contest.

Dimatina was similar. Balls went higher than they went long

GVGjr
11-09-2023, 03:44 PM
Dimatina was similar. Balls went higher than they went long

Good call, okay on a good day but generally a ball butcher.

The bulldog tragician
11-09-2023, 04:20 PM
Mark Cullen, anyone?

lemmon
11-09-2023, 04:28 PM
Dylan Addison had a lot of great qualities but kicking wasn't one of them

GVGjr
11-09-2023, 05:48 PM
Mark Cullen, anyone?

Yep, butchered the ball.

Grantysghost
11-09-2023, 05:49 PM
Yep, butchered the ball.

Was captain of Melton for a long while.

The Doctor
11-09-2023, 06:08 PM
Simon Garlick for kicking over the head of the leading target or Gia for kicking into the half volley of the leading target

bornadog
11-09-2023, 07:29 PM
Dylan Addison had a lot of great qualities but kicking wasn't one of them

EW walks into the room :D

Bigdog
11-09-2023, 08:12 PM
How has no one mentioned Christian Howard?? Christian Howard just couldn?t find the ball!

Bigdog
11-09-2023, 08:23 PM
No one goes near Robbie Mcomb,

Outside of him, Honeychurch was a very ordinary kick. Keath and Easton Wood lost their foot skills once they turned 30.

Talia was also a liability. We had a team of ball butcherers when McCartney was coach.

Daniel Cross couldn’t kick over 30 meters when he first started. He improved with time.

ledge
11-09-2023, 11:52 PM
Was captain of Melton for a long while.

I’m not having much luck as far as this goes, I have followed Melton since 2000 ( both Cullens) Mark was still selling cans at the can in bar last year. My daughter worked for the Dimmatina family until recently . I caught up with Paul’s family on the Gold Coast in June . Friendly bunch although the old man has aged in the last year .

ledge
11-09-2023, 11:55 PM

Explains why a lot went out on the full , the wind grabbed them.

KT31
12-09-2023, 12:06 AM
Brian Cordy used to bomb it 50m in the air.
Now I think of it, it might be something to do with the Cordy gene pool.:D

The Doctor
12-09-2023, 05:55 AM
Luke Dalhaus was a terrible set shot.

Worst AFL kick I have seen is a contest between Jayson Daniels (ex Saints/Swans) and Andrew Dunkley.

josie
12-09-2023, 11:28 AM
Been mentioned before as poor goal kicks, but I’d put my head in my hands whenever Honeychurch or Dahlhaus kicked for goals. Also Hunter was pretty poor, and Roughy was capable of some goal shockers too.

Axe Man
12-09-2023, 12:24 PM
Maybe include Scott Wynd , he knew he couldn?t kick at all, so he just handballed.

Wynd's career totals were 1040 kicks and 2100 handballs. I wonder how many players with significant careers had a better than 2:1 handball to kick ratio?

bornadog
12-09-2023, 04:23 PM
Wynd's career totals were 1040 kicks and 2100 handballs. I wonder how many players with significant careers had a better than 2:1 handball to kick ratio?

Love to see what G Dempsey's was - he was a shocking kick

Axe Man
12-09-2023, 04:57 PM
Love to see what G Dempsey's was - he was a shocking kick

Dempsey played in a different era, one where they didn't handball very much, so he kicked much more than he handballed - 3997 kicks v 1563 handballs.

bornadog
12-09-2023, 05:53 PM
Dempsey played in a different era, one where they didn't handball very much, so he kicked much more than he handballed - 3997 kicks v 1563 handballs.

Funny, I remember a lot of handballs. His kicking was really atrocious.

ledge
12-09-2023, 09:21 PM

To be honest the reason he didn?t kick much was his knees were stuffed , players were told to run past and even if he did kick it they were extremely small kicks.

merantau
13-09-2023, 08:55 AM
Mark Komp says hello.

The absolute worst kick I've ever seen. His kicking technique looked like a crab in labour.

So obviously we had him kick in after the other side kicked a behind. Their forwards would just form a line about 30 metres from the goalmouth and take it in turns to mark his kickins.

Someone on WOOF years ago recalled hearing Doug Heywood describing a game on ABC Radio say something like this: "Mark Kompkicks the ball as he normally does - poorly." Was it you?

merantau
13-09-2023, 09:01 AM
Luke Dalhaus was a terrible set shot.

Worst AFL kick I have seen is a contest between Jayson Daniels (ex Saints/Swans) and Andrew Dunkley.

Throw in Michael Polkinghorn, Ken Beck, Geoff Leake and Barry Round.

Twodogs
13-09-2023, 08:18 PM
Someone on WOOF years ago recalled hearing Doug Heywood describing a game on ABC Radio say something like this: "Mark Kompkicks the ball as he normally does - poorly." Was it you?

It could well have been but I'm not 100% sure.

Komp was the PE teacher at my kids' school (Footscray City College) and we spent lots of time chatting about the footy club while waiting for the kids to be let out at the end of the day. He was quite surprised that I remembered his jumper number.

Dry Rot
13-09-2023, 08:46 PM
Saw the thread title and immediately thought of this.

Very, very long-term rugby league watchers here may remember this the wettest State of Origin match long ago when New South Wales Noel Cleal takes a goal line drop out, very unsuccessfully due to a large puddle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RZf__ryyTA