PDA

View Full Version : How Much Improvement is Left in Jamarra?

bornadog
25-09-2023, 06:43 PM
JUH had a pretty good season playing all 23 games. His stats ended up at 35 goals, 35 Behinds, averaging 5 marks a game and 11 disposals. I think if he could nail some of those 35 behinds he could easily be a 50 plus FF.

Some highlights for 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np7VeJ9V8qs

angelopetraglia
25-09-2023, 06:54 PM
Based on the trajectory of other tall fowards, I would say a lot. Especially as he is a lighter frame tall foward.

Jamarra 197cm

Season #1 7 goals
Season #2 18 goals
Season #3 35 goals

Josh Kennedy 196cm

Season #1 5 goals
Season #2 6 goals
Season #3 7 goals
Season #4 31 goals
Season #5 41 goals
Season#6 59 goals

J Reiwoldt 193cm

Season #1 7 goals
Season #2 18 goals
Season #3 32 goals
Season #4 78 goals
Season #5 62 goals
Season#6 65 goals

Hawkins 198cm

Season #1 12 goals
Season #2 13 goals
Season #3 34 goals
Season #4 21 goals
Season #5 27 goals
Season#6 62 goals

GVGjr
25-09-2023, 06:56 PM
Go back 12 months ago and he wasn't a good mark and this year his marking really improved.
If he can fix his concentration lapses with his goal kicking he can take a genuine step forward and potentially kick 45 goals plus.

How good can he become is a challenging question but it might all hinge on how hungry he becomes to be a premier player at the both the club and in the competition.

jazzadogs
25-09-2023, 06:56 PM
Curnow got 81 this year - Jamarra has that in him for sure.

Needs to sort out his long distance goal kicking routine as a priority. His leading patterns and marking were elite this year. Keep building fitness and strength.

Already started to dominate games this year.

Axe Man
25-09-2023, 07:02 PM
Jamarra 194cm

He is officially listed as 197cm.

Agree with others, needs to prioritise his set shot routine.

dog town
25-09-2023, 07:03 PM
His ground level work is nearly as big an issue as his goal kicking. How many times was he caught with the ball this year? He simply holds on to it too long, I think there is 2-3 easy coaching points that would help address this but he either isn’t being told or is ignoring it.

angelopetraglia
25-09-2023, 07:06 PM
He is officially listed as 197cm.

Agree with others, needs to prioritise his set shot routine.

Apologies. I took this from the AFL Tables website https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/Jamarra_Ugle-Hagan.html

Twodogs
25-09-2023, 08:01 PM
At games if you squeeze your eyes together so everything is a bit blurry you could swear he's Kelvin Templeton.

If Marra's marking continues to improve and his goalkicking becomes as good as his technique suggests then he could become nearly as good as KT.

hujsh
25-09-2023, 08:14 PM
At games if you squeeze your eyes together so everything is a bit blurry you could swear he's Kelvin Templeton.

If Marra's marking continues to improve and his goalkicking becomes as good as his technique suggests then he could become nearly as good as KT.

Some might call that faint praise but considering the source it's the highest praise imaginable

jeemak
25-09-2023, 08:51 PM
His technique isn't going to be fixed with just concentration, I mean, sometimes he'll time them and he'll be OK. However, he has a technical flaw that sees him lean back and to the left at times that causes his follow through to swing to the right after going across the ball.

Fixable, and relatively easily.

Jeanette54
25-09-2023, 08:51 PM
Marra's marking is exceptional, however his greatest improvement will come when those delivering the ball to him make sure that it is delivered to his advantage. Lead and mark should see his figures improve rapidly. No forward has ever relied on big marks (even John Coleman) to consistently kick large numbers of goals.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-09-2023, 10:00 PM
He could be a top 5 key forward as early as next year with natural progression and improved goal kicking technique. It won't just happen, and he needs to continue to challenge himself, but he has the ability to make another big jump.

Twodogs
25-09-2023, 10:46 PM
Some might call that faint praise but considering the source it's the highest praise imaginable

Indeed it is

1eyedog
26-09-2023, 12:19 AM
Marra's marking is exceptional, however his greatest improvement will come when those delivering the ball to him make sure that it is delivered to his advantage. Lead and mark should see his figures improve rapidly. No forward has ever relied on big marks (even John Coleman) to consistently kick large numbers of goals.

Capper, Modra, N Riewoldt, KT.

jeemak
26-09-2023, 12:58 AM

Capper, Modra, N Riewoldt, KT.

I've been waiting for Jeanette54 to step up and get some Nets time. Let's roll!

1eyedog
26-09-2023, 01:58 AM
I've been waiting for Jeanette54 to step up and get some Nets time. Let's roll!

Jeanette will castle me inside the first over.

MrMahatma
26-09-2023, 09:31 AM
Surely he?s only getting started.

His first season was ruined by Covid with not much VFL wasn?t it?

He?s shown steady improvement throughout his time with us and he is still yet to be physically a finished product.

Lots of key fwds struggle early but I?d say he?s been a contributor when he?s played, and was a key target this year. If he can keep putting in the work he?ll tear 2024 apart.

Go_Dogs
26-09-2023, 09:01 PM
Improving his motor and goal kicking and he’ll be able to dominate most defensive groups, particularly where he’s able to play on a second or third defender. It’s hard to put a number on his goals, it will depend on how we structure our forward line by I’d expect he should be 40+next year.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2023, 11:19 AM
Question Time:

1. How many years should Marra ask for?
2. How many years should the club give him to stay?

GVGjr
05-10-2023, 11:22 AM
That's a hard one to answer BT. I suspect he should ask for a shorter deal that takes him to the FA window and we should work with him on that if is what he wants. Other than that it could be an 8 year deal.
Can you imagine if he improves in 2024 like he did this year what he might be capable of?

bulldogtragic
05-10-2023, 11:30 AM
That's a hard one to answer BT. I suspect he should ask for a shorter deal that takes him to the FA window and we should work with him on that if is what he wants. Other than that it could be an 8 year deal.
Can you imagine if he improves in 2024 like he did this year what he might be capable of?

He was my priority over Naughton. I think he’s every bit the Pick 1 we’ve always wanted, when his goal kicking tightens back up.

I think he probably asks to go to his FA year. But with AN 8 years, I wouldn’t begrudge him for asking for the same. Depending on the dollars, I’d probably do it too. I think he’s going to be written in our history books very favourably.

But does the club want a bunch of 5-8 year deals on the books? But the club has also shown the players it will do it if there’s competition for your signature. Interesting times.

ledge
05-10-2023, 11:48 AM
Long term deals have advantages . The Salary isn’t much by the time they reach 8 years or even 4 years . Of course it might be front or back loaded. It also depends where your list is at .
Front load if you have a lot of players in the draft wage.
Back load if a lot are retiring by then. Or it might just be the same every year with the PA agreement of adjustments each year. A lot of players held out for that agreement.

Axe Man
05-10-2023, 11:49 AM

A contract taking him to free agency would be 4 years if my calculations are correct. If that's what he and his agent wanted I suspect the club couldn't sign quick enough.

SquirrelGrip
05-10-2023, 12:27 PM
Question Time:

I spoke to Marra last night. He said if Naughton's getting 8, he should get 9!

bornadog
05-10-2023, 01:00 PM
I spoke to Marra last night. He said if Naughton's getting 8, he should get 9!

whooooooo - :D:D

bulldogtragic
05-10-2023, 02:26 PM
Hun:

Dogs confident on re-signing Jamarra.

hujsh
05-10-2023, 02:28 PM
Hun:

Dogs confident on re-signing Jamarra.

Feels he's the next most likely of the 4 to stay, then English and lastly Smith.

Might be different once he's close to free agency

bulldogtragic
05-10-2023, 02:31 PM
Feels he's the next most likely of the 4 to stay, then English and lastly Smith.

I get the feeling Tim will try to get every cent out of us or leave, which is his right. I’m not sure what we will do if it’s a stupid bid to match and if the compo pick is worth it, or if matching it and trading it is better.

Honestly, if Pick 3 ever got offered for Smith we should take it and run.

Bigdog
05-10-2023, 06:11 PM
Still has a fair way to go with his tank and defensively.

Also I’d like him to add a second string to his bow and play a burst mid role every now and again.

FrediKanoute
05-10-2023, 10:20 PM
Question Time:

1. Marra should ask for 2 years (maybe 3);
2, We should go for 7.

jazzadogs
05-10-2023, 11:25 PM
I think 4 years at a rate slightly above his current market rate would be far - allows for the expected improvement, and might mean we are overpaying him next year, but will hopefully mean we are getting him for 'unders' in the final couple of years of the contract.

jeemak
06-10-2023, 12:25 AM
A contract taking him to free agency would be 4 years if my calculations are correct. If that's what he and his agent wanted I suspect the club couldn't sign quick enough.

It's amazing how you're able to coherently talk about tenure and prospective player contracts when all you do around here is ramble about non-existent threads of the same topic.

You're so good at it that I agree with you. :)

jeemak
06-10-2023, 12:27 AM
JUH getting back to basics with his goal kicking technique (not twisting his lower body to compensate for leaning off to the left) lands him at 40-45 goals without any substantial improvement in his game.

If he was silly enough to sign of for more than four years I'd do it immediately.

GVGjr
06-10-2023, 08:40 AM
Super impressed with his marking this season and at times there were shades of the great Kelvin Templeton in some games.
If we can get a decent improvement with his goal kicking next season as Jee highlights and getting him to kick the ball with the laces facing forward on some of those set shots then 45 goals plus is a real chance.

We lost a few games by close margins and if Naughty, JUH, Lobb and Weightman all just make a slight improvement it will go a long way towards returning to the finals in 2024.

bornadog
06-10-2023, 09:29 AM
Super impressed with his marking this season and at times there were shades of the great Kelvin Templeton in some games.
If we can get a decent improvement with his goal kicking next season as Jee highlights and getting him to kick the ball with the laces facing forward on some of those set shots then 45 goals plus is a real chance.

We lost a few games by close margins and if Naughty, JUH, Lobb and Weightman all just make a slight improvement it will go a long way towards returning to the finals in 2024.

45 should be doable for him. He had 70 scoring shots this year.

GVGjr
06-10-2023, 09:38 AM

Axe Man
06-10-2023, 12:02 PM

For all the flack Naughton cops about his goal kicking, compare the pair:

44.33 from 88 shots at 50%

35.35 from 93 shots at 37.6%

No prizes for guessing who's who.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2023, 12:30 PM

This is the main argument for perhaps why we won’t fall down the ladder before rising. If these guys can finally fix this aspect and become 55 goal a season forwards, there’s an extra 31 goals a season which is massive. Then if they can, Lobb/Darcy simply have to slaughter the third defender better than 20 odd goals a season too. If Weightman, Clarke & maybe Watson can all make the grade, then there’s great scope.

Mind you, crap entries, Smith missing 9 out of 10 I50’s and kicking to forwards advantage is a massive part of it too.

The quickest improvement to this side is poise by those kicking it forward and the big boys kicking straight. Surely a goal kicking coach is priority number one. We don’t need to trade players or picks to improve our forward line. Just get these guys with routines that can score more goals than they miss. A media release to this effect would be better than some random trade request.

Topdog
06-10-2023, 12:40 PM

Where do you get this kind of stat from?

Axe Man
06-10-2023, 12:43 PM
Where do you get this kind of stat from?

The AFL website. It would be great to have set shot stats too but not sure where to find those.

Grantysghost
06-10-2023, 01:02 PM

Two craps don't make a not crap. (yes I've lost myself now).

Marra in his third season so hopefully it trends up soon as he gets fitter ans stronger.

Axe Man
06-10-2023, 01:17 PM
Two craps don't make a not crap. (yes I've lost myself now).

Marra in his third season so hopefully it trends up soon as he gets fitter ans stronger.

I know you like to defend Marra, and for good reason, but I'm tired of all the crap Naughton gets for his goal kicking.

Could it be better, absolutely but I maintain it's not as bad as almost everybody seems to make out. I'm not sure why he is so harshly judged when his accuracy is only marginally below most key forwards.

In Naughton's second season (which was his first as a forward since perhaps very junior footy?) he went at just under 50%. He has never put up numbers like Marra has, yet Marra escapes much of the flak Naughton cops.

Marra has really obvious technical flaws which have been pointed out. I hope someone is working with him to correct these as it's just so frustrating to watch. Naughton on the other hand is working with what he's got and I feel he only has a small improvement in his accuracy in him. Marra has all the talent in the world and could do a Charlie Curnow and massively increase his accuracy. Hopefully we see some signs of it in 2024.

Grantysghost
06-10-2023, 01:34 PM
I know you like to defend Marra, and for good reason, but I'm tired of all the crap Naughton gets for his goal kicking.

Could it be better, absolutely but I maintain it's not as bad as almost everybody seems to make out. I'm not sure why he is so harshly judged when his accuracy is only marginally below most key forwards.

In Naughton's second season (which was his first as a forward since perhaps very junior footy?) he went at just under 50%. He has never put up numbers like Marra has, yet Marra escapes much of the flak Naughton cops.

Marra has really obvious technical flaws which have been pointed out. I hope someone is working with him to correct these as it's just so frustrating to watch. Naughton on the other hand is working with what he's got and I feel he only has a small improvement in his accuracy in him. Marra has all the talent in the world and could do a Charlie Curnow and massively increase his accuracy. Hopefully we see some signs of it in 2024.

Hey I said two craps ;)

Naughton has a terrible action, I think that's where most of it stems from; he's actually a poor kick for league standards.

Jamarra is a good kick around the ground. His set shot routine needs work for sure.

I feel with Naughton this is what you get, and you make an interesting point how statistically he measure up ok so maybe people just comment on the action rather than the result.

Marra I believe will tidy his up and pass Naughts for accuracy by the end of their careers.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2023, 01:40 PM
Marra just needs to get back to what he used to do. He was a beautiful kick for goal as a junior. I’m not sure what’s happened, but he has the capacity to be a very good shot.

Max King has turned it around this year, so perhaps it’s a matter of getting used to the big league and everything that comes with it, then hopefully falling back into good habits with experience. Hopefully.

hujsh
06-10-2023, 01:47 PM

Naughton's overall numbers look okay but he misses too many very easy shots (posters from 25m in front) and could/should be better. He gets some great looks at goal because he's such a great contested mark and less reliant on hit ups that mean you sometimes are kicking from the pocket or 45m on an angle.

That said MJP made a great point about his forward pressure so you can't deny he brings a lot to the team even if he misses some he should kick. If he gets a little cleaner on that front he's a regular feature in the top 5 goalkickers for sure and easily one of the best key forwards in the game with a unique skillset.

Axe Man
06-10-2023, 02:34 PM
Naughton has a terrible action, I think that's where most of it stems from; he's actually a poor kick for league standards.

So why the hell do you want his poor kicking in the backline then? :D

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-10-2023, 02:40 PM
Hey I said two craps ;)

Jamarra is a good kick around the ground. His set shot routine needs work for sure.

I feel with Naughton this is what you get, and you make an interesting point how statistically he measure up ok so maybe people just comment on the action rather than the result.

Marra I believe will tidy his up and pass Naughts for accuracy by the end of their careers.

I largely agree here GG. And I think that given Marra has a more likely ability to improve his accuracy, he holds the key to whether we can live with Naughton's profligacy for the rest of his career.

Naughts brings other attributes to the line that a player of his size, normally doesn't bring, so I can live with inaccuracy, but not if it's a trait right across our forward line. With Naughts and Marra likely to take up I don't know 60-70% of our forward target entries, we can't afford for them to both be below par for accuracy.

Weightman's accuracy is a good counter balance right now, and it would help us no end if Marra was able to improve his efficiency.

Grantysghost
06-10-2023, 02:57 PM
So why the hell do you want his poor kicking in the backline then? :D

Haha touche!

Uninformed
07-10-2023, 10:58 PM
Do not think you can put a limit on how good Marra will become. I reckon he is only at about a third of what he will be.
One of kind!

Topdog
08-10-2023, 10:14 AM
Do not think you can put a limit on how good Marra will become. I reckon he is only at about a third of what he will be.
One of kind!

Absolutely agree, we see glimpses of Marra's best and his potential is off the charts.

It's easy to forget this was only his 3rd year and even easier to forget that year 1 was wasted by Covid

1eyedog
08-10-2023, 11:23 AM
Will be the next forward to kick 100 goals.

Uninformed
08-10-2023, 07:44 PM
Absolutely agree, we see glimpses of Marra's best and his potential is off the charts.

It's easy to forget this was only his 3rd year and even easier to forget that year 1 was wasted by Covid

And just the progress we see year on year. That much talent with someone prepared to work really hard at his craft. Amazing!

Twodogs
08-10-2023, 08:28 PM

I'd go Smith and then English. When Smith plays well we win but that's not necessarily the case with English