PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Kennel - Nick Coffield

Pages : [1] 2

jazzadogs
06-10-2023, 08:40 AM
So with the news yesterday that Nick Coffield has nominated the Dogs, how are we feeling?

In my view he is a quality footballer who has been ruined by injury for the last few years. I would assume the trade is at minimal cost, and the contract is at the lower end for a couple of years. Taking Crozier or TOB list spot.

Durability is the only concern. Since debut in 2018 he has gone 10, 8, 18, 16, 0, 0. Always picked when fit but often not fit.

It looks like the ultimate low risk, high reward play. I like it.

Mofra
06-10-2023, 08:43 AM
Worth a shot given the risk vs reward profile on the likely pick we use. I don't think we should bank on him though.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2023, 08:45 AM
I don’t mind it if it’s basically free or positive draft points if we add in 36.

I fear he hasn’t played in two years. JOD has played half a season. Buss hasn’t debuted yet. Bruce, TOB & Croz go. Jones is another year older and Gardner looks to have taken a step back.

If Coffield is the answer I’m not so sure. If he’s part of the answer, yes. With news that Nick Haynes will come cheap and with salary paid by GWS, I’d like to look at him as well I’d he’s cheap as a seasoned player who had a good 2023 season and can not have us rely on young/injured players to hold up our defence, and put that pressure on them.

GVGjr
06-10-2023, 08:56 AM
So with the news yesterday that Nick Coffield has nominated the Dogs, how are we feeling?

In my view he is a quality footballer who has been ruined by injury for the last few years. I would assume the trade is at minimal cost, and the contract is at the lower end for a couple of years. Taking Crozier or TOB list spot.

Durability is the only concern. Since debut in 2018 he has gone 10, 8, 18, 16, 0, 0. Always picked when fit but often not fit.

It looks like the ultimate low risk, high reward play. I like it.

The Saints won't make it easy for us but the deal will get done.
It's a bit surprising to me that we have targeted a 3rd tall defenders spot to fill given O'Donnell emergence, Busslinger should be closer to being ready to play senior footy next year and having Gardner. Losing Bruce to retirement, pushing TOB out the door and with question marks on Keath and Crozier I'd imagine Coffield is seen as an experienced but young enough 3rd defender to helps us straight away. We were interested in Coffield for a few weeks now so it's nice to see he has nominated us

Not sure what is a fair deal to get him across from the Saints but I suspect they'll ask for a lot and perhaps a flip flop of picks or something in the 2nd or 3rd round will get it done. Silvagni will have a heap of options for us to consider.

bornadog
06-10-2023, 09:10 AM
Good thing is he is only 24 (23rd of Oct) and we know he has the ability to play AFL. Obviously his ability to stay on the park has dogged his career. As long as he doesn't cost too much, it is worth the risk.

G-Mo77
06-10-2023, 09:16 AM
The Saints won't make it easy for us but the deal will get done.
It's a bit surprising to me that we have targeted a 3rd tall defenders spot to fill given O'Donnell emergence, Busslinger should be closer to being ready to play senior footy next year and having Gardner. Losing Bruce to retirement, pushing TOB out the door and with question marks on Keath and Crozier I'd imagine Coffield is seen as an experienced but young enough 3rd defender to helps us straight away. We were interested in Coffield for a few weeks now so it's nice to see he has nominated us

Not sure what is a fair deal to get him across from the Saints but I suspect they'll ask for a lot and perhaps a flip flop of picks or something in the 2nd or 3rd round will get it done. Silvagni will have a heap of options for us to consider.

Not really a tall. 191cm, a tweener if we're playing him as a KPD. As you said Saints won't just say "Here you go" and do us a favour. It'll cost us more than what we'll get. We'd be better off investing in what we have and keep Crozier aw the break glass player. We'd then have more draft points and potentially draft someone better.

bornadog
06-10-2023, 09:23 AM
Not really a tall. 191cm, a tweener if we're playing him as a KPD. As you said Saints won't just say "Here you go" and do us a favour. It'll cost us more than what we'll get. We'd be better off investing in what we have and keep Crozier aw the break glass player. We'd then have more draft points and potentially draft someone better.

Same height as Cleary

GVGjr
06-10-2023, 09:34 AM

He's a 3rd tall or even more of a taller version of Richards so we haven't targeted him as a tall or as a KPP.
The Saints will want to get Henry across from Freo, Dow from Carlton and have that Shiel and Gresham deal bubbling away so some potentially interesting options will surface.
It's questionable how much of a need we have with filling a 3rd tall defenders spot but after our initial interest in Doedee, Coffield seems like a decent addition.

The Doctor
06-10-2023, 09:59 AM
Coffield played some terrific football in 20/21.

I hope we have done a thorough medical. Assuming all clear it could be a great moneyball selection.

We are seeing teams load up on smaller forward lines with say 2 talls and the rest being smalls and mediums (like Collingwood & Brisbane) so it makes sense to bolster our small/medium defensive stocks. I actually thought our defence looked great in 2021 when we had 2 KD's (Keath and one of Gardner or Cordy) and a medium 3rd tall in Williams. Our movement out of the backline was so much more efficient. I wonder if we could be looking at reverting back to this

hujsh
06-10-2023, 10:16 AM
Had a good end of the year (played the last 4 VFL games and got good numbers) and should be ready to tackle pre-season day 1.

Hopefully he hasn't lost any athleticism with his injuries and the worst if them are behind him now.

Ozza
06-10-2023, 10:34 AM
The saints have gone early on letting first round picks go in the past.

Tom lynch went to Adelaide and was a very good player. Blake Acres is doing good things at the blues. Jamie Cripps has had a successful career at the Eagles.

Hopefully this is another one.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-10-2023, 10:38 AM
AS others have said, if he can get his body right, and get some continuity, hopefully he can add some value.
The only proviso being that we don't pay an extortionate fee.

hujsh
06-10-2023, 10:46 AM
AS others have said, if he can get his body right, and get some continuity, hopefully he can add some value.
The only proviso being that we don't pay an extortionate fee.

They offered him a 1 year contract so surely they can't expect much back. Saints fans feel he'll come good but obviously the regime at St.Kilda don't have that confidence hence the 1 year deal with a trigger (supposedly)

jeemak
06-10-2023, 10:55 AM
Coffield played some terrific football in 20/21.

I hope we have done a thorough medical. Assuming all clear it could be a great moneyball selection.

We are seeing teams load up on smaller forward lines with say 2 talls and the rest being smalls and mediums (like Collingwood & Brisbane) so it makes sense to bolster our small/medium defensive stocks. I actually thought our defence looked great in 2021 when we had 2 KD's (Keath and one of Gardner or Cordy) and a medium 3rd tall in Williams. Our movement out of the backline was so much more efficient. I wonder if we could be looking at reverting back to this

We also had Easton playing in 2021, and while he wasn't in great form at the end of his career he still wasn't replaced.

Bulldog Revolution
06-10-2023, 11:07 AM
They offered him a 1 year contract so surely they can't expect much back. Saints fans feel he'll come good but obviously the regime at St.Kilda don't have that confidence hence the 1 year deal with a trigger (supposedly)

That to me seems key - if we are offering and making a bigger commitment than the saints then they can be disappointed but how hard a bargain can they drive for a player they are uncertain about committing to?

GVGjr
06-10-2023, 11:12 AM
We also had Easton playing in 2021, and while he wasn't in great form at the end of his career he still wasn't replaced.

That's a good point. Perhaps we see Coffield as a belated Easton Wood replacement.

Mantis
06-10-2023, 11:14 AM
Not really a tall. 191cm, a tweener if we're playing him as a KPD. As you said Saints won't just say "Here you go" and do us a favour. It'll cost us more than what we'll get. We'd be better off investing in what we have and keep Crozier as the break glass player. We'd then have more draft points and potentially draft someone better.

Crozier is absolutely done as an AFL footballer with us and going back to him isn't an option that will see us improve... If Coffield can get his body right, he is a massive upgrade.

The Pie Man
06-10-2023, 11:28 AM
This is a solid move, he’s now fit and is a proven senior defender - if he can stay fit, will help Richards with his capacity to intercept and run.

Also hoping for that second chance bounce. Massive Dogs nuffy growing up. Worth a shot

G-Mo77
06-10-2023, 12:05 PM
Crozier is absolutely done as an AFL footballer with us and going back to him isn't an option that will see us improve... If Coffield can get his body right, he is a massive upgrade.

So lets hit the draft then? I'd rather do that and invest in Bus, JOD and Cleary than pay a 2nd - 3rd round pick for Coffield which is what they'll ask for.

hujsh
06-10-2023, 12:32 PM
So lets hit the draft then? I'd rather do that and invest in Bus, JOD and Cleary than pay a 2nd - 3rd round pick for Coffield which is what they'll ask for.

Coffield is out of contract, hasn't played an AFL game since 2021 and has been offered a 1 year deal. Saints can ask for anything but in the end they'll probably take what they can get. Since he's not in high demand he can always go PSD and even if another club thinks they can match our terms (which St.Kilda hasn't hence why he's leaving) there are ways to manipulate things to get where you want to go.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2023, 12:34 PM
Coffield is out of contract, hasn't played an AFL game since 2021 and has been offered a 1 year deal. Saints can ask for anything but in the end they'll probably take what they can get. Since he's not in high demand he can always go PSD and even if another club thinks they can match our terms (which St.Kilda hasn't hence why he's leaving) there are ways to manipulate things to get where you want to go.

No medicals at other clubs and he’s coming to us in the PSD or Pick 70 ND.

Axe Man
06-10-2023, 12:38 PM
I think the majority of clubs work these lower end deals out in good faith without too much argy bargy. No threats of PSD or the like, it only comes back to bite you in future dealings.

G-Mo77
06-10-2023, 12:38 PM

If it's virtually nothing, I'm happy. If we're paying overs, which is what I'm so concerned about I'll be livid. They're not going to give him to us for free hushj.

hujsh
06-10-2023, 12:44 PM
I think the majority of clubs work these lower end deals out in good faith without too much argy bargy. No threats of PSD or the like, it only comes back to bite you in future dealings.

If it's virtually nothing, I'm happy. If we're paying overs, which is what I'm so concerned about I'll be livid. They're not going to give him to us for free hushj.

Big difference between what Axe Man is suggesting (most likely) and paying a second round pick. St Kilda have no leverage, we'll offer pick 50-60 or something or maybe even a pick swap of some sort/points BS and it'll get done. The only time I think we've paid overs under Power is Lobb who was still contracted. We won't get bent over for an out of contract player given all the other factors mentioned already

bulldogtragic
06-10-2023, 12:46 PM

If Saints play it right. They get 45 or so for Billings or someone else.

Dogs: 2 x 3rds, Coffield (150 or so more points for us)
Saints: Picks 36 & 70
>
Saints: Henry
Freo: Pick 36

Saints use Coffield to turn two 3rds (not enough to get Henry) into a pick that does get Henry. Turning two players they’re not prepared to invest into Henry and a later pick. Freo get their second rounder for him. We take the money ball trade and some extra points.

If that’s not enough for all parties then I don’t know what is. I’d think the clubs would be mad not to do it and be happy enough.

hujsh
06-10-2023, 01:10 PM
If Saints play it right. They get 45 or so for Billings or someone else.

Dogs: 2 x 3rds, Coffield (150 or so more points for us)
Saints: Picks 36 & 70
>
Saints: Henry
Freo: Pick 36

Saints use Coffield to turn two 3rds (not enough to get Henry) into a pick that does get Henry. Turning two players they’re not prepared to invest into Henry and a later pick. Freo get their second rounder for him. We take the money ball trade and some extra points.

If that’s not enough for all parties then I don’t know what is. I’d think the clubs would be mad not to do it and be happy enough.

Normally losing 36 would be an issue but (assuming we trade up before Croft) it's all moot as long as we have points instead so it works.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2023, 01:20 PM
Normally losing 36 would be an issue but (assuming we trade up before Croft) it's all moot as long as we have points instead so it works.

Yep. 36 is a bargaining chip this year. I’m 100% certain it will be traded no matter what with GCS as we desperately need more points at this stage. If Saints want/need it for Henry, then I’m happy to help them out for Coffield and about 150 extra points at least.

lemmon
06-10-2023, 01:23 PM
Yep. 36 is a bargaining chip this year. I’m 100% certain it will be traded no matter what with GCS as we desperately need more points at this stage. If Saints want/need it for Henry, then I’m happy to help them out for Coffield and about 150 extra points at least.

Thanks for that BT - does it work if Freo don't accept 36 for Henry? Freo sound like they're going to play hardball and extract as much value as they can for him.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2023, 01:30 PM
Thanks for that BT - does it work if Freo don't accept 36 for Henry? Freo sound like they're going to play hardball and extract as much value as they can for him.

That’s not so much our problem after we do our deal. If the Saints calculus is Pick 36 (2nd round) is fair compensation then Saints should take our pick and deal with Freo. If they need to sweeten it, they can make their own decision (say swap 41 & 32 too). But a couple of third rounders will absolutely not get Henry under any circumstances. Our Pick 36 could unlock that trade as Saints also want to hit the draft. We can give them that chance - for a price.

mjp
06-10-2023, 02:58 PM
This is a solid move, he’s now fit and is a proven senior defender

Do you really think he's a proven senior defender PM?

I don't disagree that he's worth a shot, but proven?

We should be giving up ZERO for this player.

Bulldog Revolution
06-10-2023, 03:34 PM
Have you seen the Saints posturing that Liam Henry and Nick Coffield should be worth about the same price as high draft picks from their draft year - so whatever we give to Coffield then goes onto Freo

SquirrelGrip
06-10-2023, 03:41 PM
Have you seen the Saints posturing that Liam Henry and Nick Coffield should be worth about the same price as high draft picks from their draft year - so whatever we give to Coffield then goes onto Freo

Does that mean we should get a good price for Christian Howard?

hujsh
06-10-2023, 03:42 PM

I think they said they expect the Coffield pick will pay for Henry so there's room for interpretation there (Henry worth less than Freo want or Coffield worth more than logic suggests). Doesn't fall far from BT's proposal but sounds like a couple clubs trying to posture up and get an overs price (look forward to this all dragging out to the end of trade period)

bulldogsthru&thru
06-10-2023, 04:01 PM
We've got a lot of hand with Coffield trade anyway. We pay what we think is fair.

He's out of contract and has had some major injury concerns. I'd be pretty confident we'd get him on the PSD. No club would before us would pick him up without having done a medical.

lemmon
06-10-2023, 04:01 PM
I think they said they expect the Coffield pick will pay for Henry so there's room for interpretation there (Henry worth less than Freo want or Coffield worth more than logic suggests). Doesn't fall far from BT's proposal but sounds like a couple clubs trying to posture up and get an overs price (look forward to this all dragging out to the end of trade period)

It's definitely posturing, but pretty bizarre that St Kilda are drawing a straight line in terms of trade value between a guy that played 16 games and averaged 20+ disposals per game in 2023 and a guy that's done an ACL and hasn't played a minute of AFL footy since 2021.

hujsh
06-10-2023, 04:04 PM
It's definitely posturing, but pretty bizarre that St Kilda are drawing a straight line in terms of trade value between a guy that played 16 games and averaged 20+ disposals per game in 2023 and a guy that's done an ACL and hasn't played a minute of AFL footy since 2021.

100% but I suspect it makes Saints fans feel better at least about losing him (for now)

The Pie Man
06-10-2023, 04:05 PM
Do you really think he's a proven senior defender PM?

I don't disagree that he's worth a shot, but proven?

We should be giving up ZERO for this player.

5th in the 2020 Trevor Barker medal would suggest that, granted 2021 wasn?t as fruitful and then of course he?s been injured ever since.

Completely agree this trade should involve a late pick only, but I?m encouraged by his return with Sandringham late this season.

Axe Man
06-10-2023, 04:06 PM

So if Billings was to nominate us they would want a straight swap for Bont? :rolleyes:

ledge
06-10-2023, 05:01 PM
I would like to think Coffield is over the young body injuries and now shows his talent .. some clubs are great at picking up injury prone players and making them good.
Let it be us for once.

macca
06-10-2023, 07:43 PM
We've got a lot of hand with Coffield trade anyway. We pay what we think is fair.

He's out of contract and has had some major injury concerns. I'd be pretty confident we'd get him on the PSD. No club would before us would pick him up without having done a medical.

If he walks to the PSD and wr get him , thats a lot of goodwill gained by him for the club . Recruit that cost us nothing in terms of trade currency.
I hope essendon do not get him out of spite

jeemak
06-10-2023, 07:54 PM
Does that mean we should get a good price for Christian Howard?

You're lucky you didn't say Patty Vez. He's apparently putting in the big ones for another crack.

GVGjr
06-10-2023, 07:54 PM
I suspect this will play out like most other trades.
We will pay a bit more than we should to get him across and the Saints will accept a lot less than they think is fair and reasonable.

The Saints want something for Coffield so they can use it to acquire Henry from Fremantle but that won't be the case.
Henry's had a good season for Fremantle whereas Coffield hasn't played for 2 years so it's not going to match. Where they were drafted in their draft years is irrelevant.

We've typically landed players who nominate us so we will won't risk him going to the PSD.

EasternWest
06-10-2023, 07:55 PM
You're lucky you didn't say Patty Vez. He's apparently putting in the big ones for another crack.

Wonder what his contract situation is?

kruder
07-10-2023, 11:01 AM
Does having Coffield and Richards allow us to go back to having just two key defenders due to their ability to intercept? One of the biggest issues this year was the disposal of our key backs killing our ball movement.

I still think Busslinger is well off the pace and also could see Dale being moved higher up the ground.

GVGjr
07-10-2023, 11:21 AM
Does having Coffield and Richards allow us to go back to having just two key defenders due to their ability to intercept? One of the biggest issues this year was the disposal of our key backs killing our ball movement.

I still think Busslinger is well off the pace and also could see Dale being moved higher up the ground.

It would certainly give us that option against teams going in with a smaller forward set-up.

Mofra
07-10-2023, 11:27 AM

I don't think we should be having firm plans about Coffield getting on the paddock and staying there. His best season pre-ACL was 18 games in 2020.

He's icing, not cake.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-10-2023, 12:09 PM
I don't think we should be having firm plans about Coffield getting on the paddock and staying there. His best season pre-ACL was 18 games in 2020.

He's icing, not cake.

*18 games in a 17 game season (18 includes 2 finals for the saints).

Twodogs
07-10-2023, 08:12 PM

I can't say who my source is but that's what I've heard too. He's in the best nick he's been in for years.

Borderline flying.

Twodogs
07-10-2023, 08:19 PM
So if Billings was to nominate us they would want a straight swap for Bont? :rolleyes:

On that basis Naughton would be a fair swap for Coffield but only if we throw a draft pick in to even it up.

1eyedog
07-10-2023, 09:35 PM

He's icing, not cake.

He's not even icing he's the idea that I might buy a cake mix at the supermarket today.

1eyedog
07-10-2023, 09:37 PM

Silvagni is a dick

Uninformed
07-10-2023, 10:51 PM
I would like to think Coffield is over the young body injuries and now shows his talent .. some clubs are great at picking up injury prone players and making them good.
Let it be us for once.

Lincoln McCarthy for Brisbane

Uninformed
07-10-2023, 10:52 PM
Really like him in his draft year and the games I have seen him play.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-10-2023, 11:48 PM
Really like him in his draft year and the games I have seen him play.

Thanks for joining in the discussion. What attributes stood out for when you saw him play?

Uninformed
08-10-2023, 07:13 PM
Thanks for joining in the discussion. What attributes stood out for when you saw him play?

My impression was that he was good one on one, a good mark with nice skills. Dale Morris dimensions, so a potential tall/small match up. Didn't see enough to judge but have read that he is quite quick and agile. I liked him in his draft year, but that was from reading the draft watchers not seeing him play. (Obviously glad we got Naughton instead!)

Very small sample size, so grain of salt stuff, but would be interested to see how he goes.

GVGjr
08-10-2023, 07:32 PM
My impression was that he was good one on one, a good mark with nice skills. Dale Morris dimensions, so a potential tall/small match up. Didn't see enough to judge but have read that he is quite quick and agile. I liked him in his draft year, but that was from reading the draft watchers not seeing him play. (Obviously glad we got Naughton instead!)

Very small sample size, so grain of salt stuff, but would be interested to see how he goes.

He should be able to contribute straight away so a best 22 type player. Hopefully he hasn't lost any pace or mobility and I'm sure we are confident in his recovery.
Getting the deal done might be a challenge. Saints have a shopping list and not a lot of currency at the moment.

Twodogs
08-10-2023, 07:38 PM
He should be able to contribute straight away so a best 22 type player. Hopefully he hasn't lost any pace or mobility and I'm sure we are confident in his recovery.
Getting the deal done might be a challenge. Saints have a shopping list and not a lot of currency at the moment.

What's his kicking like?

GVGjr
08-10-2023, 07:39 PM
What's his kicking like?

Not bad, no real weakness.

Uninformed
08-10-2023, 07:39 PM

Would you give a second for him?

Twodogs
08-10-2023, 07:56 PM
Not bad, no real weakness.

Thanks for that

azabob
08-10-2023, 08:20 PM
I’ll be watching with interest what Saints give up for Dow compared to what they ask for Coffield.

Fair to say Dow is worth more than Coffield.

Both drafted the same year, Dow pick 3; Coffield pick 8 and Dow has played 21 more games.

mjp
08-10-2023, 09:23 PM
I’ll be watching with interest what Saints give up for Dow compared to what they ask for Coffield.

Fair to say Dow is worth more than Coffield.

Both drafted the same year, Dow pick 3; Coffield pick 8 and Dow has played 21 more games.

Dow is worth...NOTHING.

Coffield is worth...NOTHING.

Swap of late round picks.

If you aren't getting a game and are not a specialist, you aren't worth anything...You want to get something for fringe players? PLAY THEM. Everyone knows Dow is not a first choice midfielder. Everyone knows Coffield can't get on the track.

All the talk about 'limited opportunities' etc for Dow? Well, if you're good enough, you GET opportunities.

These two players have no value. Delist them or send them somewhere where the coaching staff are yet to realise the truth and hope you get something in return.

Rocco Jones
08-10-2023, 09:32 PM
Dow is worth...NOTHING.

If you aren't getting a game and are not a specialist, you aren't worth anything...You want to get something for fringe players? PLAY THEM. Everyone knows Dow is not a first choice midfielder. Everyone knows Coffield can't get on the track.

All the talk about 'limited opportunities' etc for Dow? Well, if you're good enough, you GET opportunities.

These two players have no value. Delist them or send them somewhere where the coaching staff are yet to realise the truth and hope you get something in return.

Add to your list that we have a system where all players demand to be traded to only their first club of choice, including said fringe players.

EasternWest
08-10-2023, 09:42 PM
Dow is worth...NOTHING.

Damn I'm never coming to a boxing class with you. There's years of emotional trauma right there.

azabob
08-10-2023, 09:55 PM
Dow is worth...NOTHING.

Ah.. maybe direct that yelling at Silvangi as I don’t disagree with you - st.kilda have already started posturing around the hill and Coffield trade value will be similar.

ledge
08-10-2023, 10:02 PM
An injured player who has showed potential is better than a player who has had the opportunity and not shown they are up to it.
IF you can get them over the injuries you can get a diamond in the rough. I would say that’s what we are banking on.

Testekill
08-10-2023, 10:08 PM
Coffield apparently looked pretty solid in his games with Sandringham at the tail end of the year, if he can keep his body right then it's a pretty astute pick up on the cheap.

macca
08-10-2023, 11:46 PM
Is Dow ahead of Stoker ?
It would be interesting to see how they both fair next season if both at saints
stoker played 20 games this season

Dow can’t get a game behind Kennedy .
Buyer beware in regards to fringe players

ledge
09-10-2023, 12:00 AM
Is Dow ahead of Stoker ?
It would be interesting to see how they both fair next season if both at saints
stoker played 20 games this season

Dow can’t get a game behind Kennedy .
Buyer beware in regards to fringe players

Fringe players can be great pick ups if the team they play at has an abundance of the same player.
The key is to look at who is keeping them out.

jazzadogs
09-10-2023, 01:09 AM
Stocker played mostly half back flank this year didn't he? Dow more of an inside mid.

I liked what I saw of Stocker this year and not sure why he was on the outer at Blues.

Dow has been behind Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra, Kennedy...but when he got a game he played well. I think he's a good pick up.

GVGjr
09-10-2023, 08:32 AM
Dow is worth...NOTHING.

The talk is that Carlton and the Saints will agree on a future 4th round pick for Dow so yep, you're spot on with that valuation.
I tend to think Coffield might get done for a F3 or something creative with a swap of picks.
I'm not sure how we value Harmes but I suspect it's for bugger all because of his salary. We got nothing for Hunter, they'll get nothing for Harmes.

Bulldog Revolution
09-10-2023, 12:33 PM
Dow is worth...NOTHING.

Thought this was a great post.

However, I'm also not surprised to see Carlton posturing on Zac Fisher either - pick 42 feels very fair for a guy you aren't sure you want to play each week - and youve already had him 5+ years

Bulldog4life
10-10-2023, 06:37 PM
Stocker played mostly half back flank this year didn't he? Dow more of an inside mid.

I liked what I saw of Stocker this year and not sure why he was on the outer at Blues.

Dow has been behind Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra, Kennedy...but when he got a game he played well. I think he's a good pick up.

His season was ok but was dropped for the final against GWS.

GVGjr
10-10-2023, 07:27 PM
I wonder how this deal gets done and how it's progressing.

choconmientay
10-10-2023, 10:39 PM
SOS seems like posturing here around Dow vs Coffield trade values. This probably means he would want similar or better for Coffield than he'd pay for Dow:

Zero Hanger
Talks of a potential swap involving injury-plagued Saint Nick Coffield were watered down somewhat, with Silvagni highlighting, "I think Nick (Coffield has) finished top five in best & fairest, I don't think Paddy Dow's done that"

"We're open to anything but at the same time we've got to make sure that what we bring into our club is going to add to our group,"

bulldogsthru&thru
10-10-2023, 10:43 PM
We'll just pick him up in the psd then.

WBFC4FFC
10-10-2023, 10:56 PM
We'll just pick him up in the psd then.

Posturing.

TheSaints are offering an ordinary contract v. the Bulldogs, yet all of a sudden they bring out he's finished in the Top 5 in the B&F!

bulldogtragic
10-10-2023, 10:57 PM
Looking at it, if 46 is part of the deal for Grundy.
46 to Aints for Billings (with salary picked up)
46 & 56 with Coffield to dogs for 40, 69 & 72

Aints offer 40 (2nd round) and a slight upgrade (35 for 46) for Henry. If there?s only 55-60 picks in the draft they upgrade into the second round and the slight downgrade makes no difference.

????

Or if Freo want 35, 40 & 69 for Henry and St Kilda happy to get back 46 & 59:

Freo: 35, 40 & 69 (very possibly packaged up to a pick from GCS: either 22, 24, 27 or 28 after selling 10 to Dees/North/Crows)
Aints: Henry, 59 & 72 (paying Coffield, 35 & 56)
Dogs: 46 & 56 with Coffield (paying 40, 69 & 72)

Dogs net 127 draft points and get Coffield
Freo possibly trade into the mid 20’s - good price for Henry
Aints turn Coffield, a late 2nd into Henry and a fourth rounder

Makes sense to me.

GVGjr
10-10-2023, 11:25 PM
SOS seems like posturing here around Dow vs Coffield trade values. This probably means he would want similar or better for Coffield than he'd pay for Dow:

Zero Hanger

SOS drafted Dow, he didn't draft Coffield and that was the same draft.

Axe Man
11-10-2023, 10:14 AM

Zero Hanger

And Bob Skilton won three Brownlows but I'm not giving up more than a third round pick for him since he's 84.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2023, 05:52 PM
Updated: works well now:

Freo: 35, 39 & 68 > GCS Pick 23
Aints: Henry, 59 & 71 (paying Coffield, 35 & 55)
Dogs: 45 & 55 with Coffield (paying 39, 68 & 71)

Dogs net 156 draft points and get Coffield
GCS net 242 Draft points more
Freo get Pick 23 for Henry
Aints turn Coffield & a late 2nd into Henry and a fourth rounder

Win-Win-Win-Win

Updated: Covers Croft at 11 and points for Lual if needed with Sweet for 48 as reported is likely to happen. Happy to give Port pick 73 if needed. Then it’s Pick 5 (Watson?), Croft, Lual (?) and maybe a late re-draft like Bedendo with rookie upgrade/s (Scott at least) plus Harmes & Coffield as our trade/draft. Two rookie draft picks, an SSP selection and MSD pick.

GVGjr
11-10-2023, 05:54 PM
Brilliant BT,

hujsh
11-10-2023, 06:03 PM
Updated: works well now:

Freo: 35, 39 & 68 > GCS Pick 23
Aints: Henry, 59 & 71 (paying Coffield, 35 & 55)
Dogs: 45 & 55 with Coffield (paying 39, 68 & 71)

Dogs net 156 draft points and get Coffield
GCS net 242 Draft points more
Freo get Pick 23 for Henry
Aints turn Coffield & a late 2nd into Henry and a fourth rounder

Win-Win-Win-Win
I like it, the only issue being if Saints consider that fair. I think they should but who knows

bulldogtragic
11-10-2023, 06:11 PM
I like it, the only issue being if Saints consider that fair. I think they should but who knows

True. But… Henry & 71 - for - Coffield (no games in 2 years) and 35.

SOS would be crazy to blow up getting Henry in considering Gresham & Shiel have both now blown up.

hujsh
11-10-2023, 06:15 PM
True. But… Henry & 71 - for - Coffield (no games in 2 years) and 35.

SOS would be crazy to blow up getting Henry in considering Gresham & Shiel have both now blown up.

That's assuming you look at it as a whole. SOS might say 'nah you should pay up more for Coffield and we'll worry about Henry'

bulldogtragic
11-10-2023, 06:17 PM
That's assuming you look at it as a whole. SOS might say 'nah you should pay up more for Coffield and we'll worry about Henry'

Then SOS can not have Henry and lose Coffield in the PSD. If we show Coffield good faith by including a second and two fourth rounders to get him we’ve done our part to get him to walk for free.

I don’t rate SOS, but surely he’s not that silly/stubborn?

Axe Man
11-10-2023, 06:21 PM
True. But? Henry & 71 - for - Coffield (no games in 2 years) and 35.

Why has Gresham blown up? If Saints get end of first round compo seems like they will take it (and it seems a reasonable chance based on the other compo so far):

ST KILDA would be comfortable matching Essendon's contract offer to Jade Gresham if it does not trigger end of first-round compensation for the restricted free agent.

The Bombers plan to lodge paperwork for Gresham in the next 24 hours and list manager Adrian Dodoro said the club had not yet been in talks with the Saints as they look to secure the 26-year-old without negotiating a trade.

St Kilda's acting football boss David Misson, however, said Gresham would only move as a free agent if the Bombers' offer triggered adequate compensation, with the club "hoping to get an end of first-round pick".

"The ball really is in Essendon's court there to lodge an offer for Jade. Once that's done, we need to decide if we're going to match that offer and potentially facilitate a trade," Misson told SEN on Wednesday.

"If the compensation we get offered isn't what we'd like, then we would decide whether we want to match it. Jade has a great relationship with Ross (Lyon), so if we have to we'd be very happy to keep Jade at St Kilda if that's the way it starts to look." ? Nathan Schmook

hujsh
11-10-2023, 06:22 PM
Then SOS can not have Henry and lose Coffield in the PSD. If we show Coffield good faith by including a second and two fourth rounders to get him we’ve done our part to get him to walk for free.

Yeah guess it depends on if they think there's a way to do it without us. I'm comforted by the presence of the PSD regardless

bulldogtragic
11-10-2023, 06:24 PM
Why has Gresham blown up? If Saints get end of first round compo seems like they will take it (and it seems a reasonable chance based on the other compo so far):

I thought I read it didn’t get a first and Aints wanted to trade?

But that’s by the by for this.

GVGjr
11-10-2023, 06:36 PM

SOS is pragmatic and gets deals done. Not sure he has the stones to push Coffield into the PSD so a deal like you have proposed might appeal.

macca
11-10-2023, 11:19 PM
SOS drafted Dow, he didn't draft Coffield and that was the same draft.

SOS recycle GWS players at Carlton
Recycles Carlton players at saints
Its a winning formula!

Happy Days
12-10-2023, 04:32 PM
Saints want a second rounder for him. Hopefully this meshes well with my want of not wanting to trade for him.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2023, 04:33 PM
Saints want a second rounder for him. Hopefully this meshes well with my want of not wanting to trade for him.

They can have it. By giving us two thirds back. Simple.

Then it?s a free hit. Well, surplus of points for us actually.

Jasper
12-10-2023, 06:03 PM
They can have it. By giving us two thirds back. Simple.

Then it?s a free hit. Well, surplus of points for us actually.

Nice one BT, just out of curiosity what draft range can we cover? 9 to 12?

bulldogtragic
12-10-2023, 06:16 PM
Nice one BT, just out of curiosity what draft range can we cover? 9 to 12?

With 48 for Sweet, we are comfortable around 10.

Picks: (5) 40, 48, 50 & 55 (no use of fourth rounders included/likely)

302 - 731
273 - 904
207 - 1,111 Points

Pick 10 = 1,395 Points
Less 20% Discount
Dogs need 1,115 Points

Assuming we split pick 40 for 150 extra draft points or so, that gives us a buffer to take Lual if he slides into NGA range.

KT31
12-10-2023, 06:41 PM
BT, just wanted to say how much I appreciate the time and work you put into this and other forums.
I would be totally lost at sea without your efforts and that of other knowledgeable contributors.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2023, 06:42 PM
BT, just wanted to say how much I appreciate the time and work you put into this and other forums.
I would be totally lost at sea without the efforts of yours and other knowledgeable contributors.

Happy give something back to the forum KT.

macca
12-10-2023, 06:46 PM
The real question we should be asking Silvangi is what pick does Carlton want for one of their players ?

I am really surprised Jack Silvangi is not in trade talks

Let Coffiield walk to the PsD where we get him for nothing

GVGjr
12-10-2023, 06:52 PM
The real question we should be asking Silvangi is what pick does Carlton want for one of their players ?

I am really surprised Jack Silvangi is not in trade talks

Let Coffiield walk to the PsD where we get him for nothing

Regarding Coffield, risky situation to have him waiting for so long before we can get him to the club. With no footy for a couple of years we need to get the work into him sooner than later and get him around our boys.

In reality pick 39 isn't going to change much for us.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2023, 06:59 PM
Regarding Coffield, risky situation to have him waiting for so long before we can get him to the club. With no footy for a couple of years we need to get the work into him sooner than later and get him around our boys.

It will completely destroy our points without two thirds coming back. It will take our F2 in deficit.

GVGjr
12-10-2023, 07:08 PM
It will completely destroy our points without two thirds coming back. It will take our F2 in deficit.

Yep, I was working on the scenario that that you detailed where we get some points related picks back.
And despite the news that Sweet might stay, I'm assuming it a deal will get done and we will get some points there.

EasternWest
12-10-2023, 07:11 PM
Happy give something back to the forum KT.

Cool. When are you gonna start doing that?

bulldogtragic
12-10-2023, 07:22 PM
Cool. When are you gonna start doing that?

Once I finally get my diploma in shit posting. Can you keep covering me until then?

EasternWest
12-10-2023, 07:58 PM
Once I finally get my diploma in shit posting. Can you keep covering me until then?

I think you just graduated.

1eyedog
12-10-2023, 08:44 PM

Are we back training?

GVGjr
12-10-2023, 10:07 PM
Are we back training?

Well the PSD isn't until December if we think we can get him there. I'd rather get him in earlier

Axe Man
13-10-2023, 10:18 AM
Well the PSD isn't until December if we think we can get him there. I'd rather get him in earlier

The pre season draft is straight after the national draft.

However, don't unsigned players become available for the delisted free agency period from November 1? I'm thinking contracts expire 31 October?

I think it will be a moot point anyway, it's most likely a trade is agreed upon, St Kilda would be dumb to not take something for him.

GVGjr
13-10-2023, 10:28 AM
SAINTS’ COFFIELD DEAL HOPES (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/department-of-trade/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-2023-nick-coffield-western-bulldogs-liam-henry-st-kilda-elijah-hollands-carlton/news-story/8ede13353523eab14a278bab9b28fa55)

The Western Bulldogs’ Pick 39 could be involved in a Nick Coffield trade with St Kilda, reports The Age.

The Saints earlier this week confirmed Coffield, who was drafted with Pick 8 in 2017, was keen to join the Bulldogs after two injury-interrupted seasons, with his most recent AFL game being in Round 23, 2021.

But the Saints are also locked in a free agency stand-off with Essendon over Jade Gresham, while they’re also keen to acquire Paddy Dow from Carlton and Liam Henry from Fremantle.

The Age reported Pick 39, which the Bulldogs acquired from Brisbane during last year’s trade period as part of the Josh Dunkley deal, could be involved in the deal that’d Coffield to Whitten Oval.

The Saints, according to the report, would like Pick 39 to be used in negotiations with Freo for Henry. But the Dockers have already placed a high price on top-10 draftee Henry, who had an excellent finish to his 2023 campaign.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2023, 10:41 AM
SAINTS’ COFFIELD DEAL HOPES (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/department-of-trade/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-2023-nick-coffield-western-bulldogs-liam-henry-st-kilda-elijah-hollands-carlton/news-story/8ede13353523eab14a278bab9b28fa55)

The Western Bulldogs’ Pick 39 could be involved in a Nick Coffield trade with St Kilda, reports The Age.

The Saints earlier this week confirmed Coffield, who was drafted with Pick 8 in 2017, was keen to join the Bulldogs after two injury-interrupted seasons, with his most recent AFL game being in Round 23, 2021.

But the Saints are also locked in a free agency stand-off with Essendon over Jade Gresham, while they’re also keen to acquire Paddy Dow from Carlton and Liam Henry from Fremantle.

The Age reported Pick 39, which the Bulldogs acquired from Brisbane during last year’s trade period as part of the Josh Dunkley deal, could be involved in the deal that’d Coffield to Whitten Oval.

The Saints, according to the report, would like Pick 39 to be used in negotiations with Freo for Henry. But the Dockers have already placed a high price on top-10 draftee Henry, who had an excellent finish to his 2023 campaign.

Someone just send SOS my trade outline and get this done already.

GVGjr
13-10-2023, 11:24 AM
So the delay in getting a deal done for Coffield is because the Saints need to know what they'll for Gresham before they can do a pick swap with us for Coffield. The Henry deal will be a part of the consideration as well. All the likely scenario's in the BT analysis.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2023, 11:33 AM
So the delay in getting a deal done for Coffield is because the Saints need to know what they'll for Gresham before they can do a pick swap with us for Coffield. The Henry deal will be a part of the consideration as well. All the likely scenario's in the BT analysis.

Looking at the Freo side. If they can get the pick 23 from GCS (probably via Aints) then with their trade with Port, the net effect is Henry upgrades them from 24 into 23 and upgrades their F2 into a F1. Which is not a bad return. They also want a F1 for Schultz. So if they can hit the draft next year with three first rounders they’ll be happy if they need to rebuild at the end of next year.

mjp
13-10-2023, 12:42 PM
Looking at the Freo side. If they can get the pick 23 from GCS (probably via Aints) then with their trade with Port, the net effect is Henry upgrades them from 24 into 23 and upgrades their F2 into a F1. Which is not a bad return. They also want a F1 for Schultz. So if they can hit the draft next year with three first rounders they’ll be happy if they need to rebuild at the end of next year.

What about the coach who is about to be out of contract and just missed the finals?

Not sure he would be too excited about giving up players who are starting 18 for draft picks in 12-months time.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2023, 12:48 PM
What about the coach who is about to be out of contract and just missed the finals?

Not sure he would be too excited about giving up players who are starting 18 for draft picks in 12-months time.

Probably should thought about that before selling the farm for Jackson. I wouldn’t want to be him, but since his list boss wants picks next year then you’d think he’d get a little slack if their 2024 isn’t brilliant?

G-Mo77
13-10-2023, 04:14 PM
�� In exchange for Nick Coffield, the Western Bulldogs will be giving up a pick in the “40s or 50s”. [@tommorris32]

�� Follow @TheSaltyBulldog on Twitter

#MightyWest | #YieldToNone

GVGjr
13-10-2023, 04:43 PM
�� In exchange for Nick Coffield, the Western Bulldogs will be giving up a pick in the “40s or 50s”. [@tommorris32]

#MightyWest | #YieldToNone

If that becomes accurate it's a good deal for us.

hujsh
13-10-2023, 04:46 PM
If that becomes accurate it's a good deal for us.

For reference we have 40, 48 and 53. 53 seems more appropriate unless there's a swap involved since we need to consider points.

GVGjr
13-10-2023, 04:49 PM
For reference we have 40, 48 and 53. 53 seems more appropriate unless there's a swap involved since we need to consider points.

We might get a deal done with Port for Sweet which could come into play as well.

mjp
13-10-2023, 06:25 PM

Sadly blocked!

G-Mo77
13-10-2023, 07:15 PM
Sadly blocked!

Why? How?

azabob
13-10-2023, 07:20 PM
Why? How?

I can imagine mjp feedback is direct and they don’t like it.

mjp
13-10-2023, 07:46 PM
Why? How?

Because when we played Geelong late in the year he posted that we should offer unconditional support for the duration...than 10 minutes later criticised the coach for the Tom Stewart match-up. I replied saying:
Tweet 1- We should all offer unconditional support.
Tweet 2 - criticise the coach.

...and was blocked basically immediately. No abuse, no inappropriate language...anyhoooooo

Rocco Jones
13-10-2023, 07:55 PM
Because when we played Geelong late in the year he posted that we should offer unconditional support for the duration...than 10 minutes later criticised the coach for the Tom Stewart match-up. I replied saying:

...and was blocked basically immediately. No abuse, no inappropriate language...anyhoooooo

It's no Footscray Bulldogs Fanboy.

Twodogs
13-10-2023, 07:58 PM

That's pretty funny.

jazzadogs
13-10-2023, 09:09 PM
It's no Footscray Bulldogs Fanboy.

"Better looking than expected"

bulldogtragic
13-10-2023, 09:31 PM
HUN:

Dogs likely to get Coffield for second/third round swap.

Dogs likely to get 49 for Sweet.

Let?s say worst case it?s just one third back from Aints, Pick 56

Then:

48 - 302
49 - 287 (589)
53 - 233 (822)
56 - 194 (1,016)
69 - 49 (1,065)
72 & 75 traded or thrown away

= Croft at basically Pick 10. If he slides, that?s the points if Lual becomes a live option.

Also, as GCS have a ton of lower picks to burn as they match bids our picks will slightly increase. Maybe only 100-130 points overall, but increase none the less.

We need 6 list spots open. So I’m assuming Croz & Bedendo will join McLean in the our column.

Twodogs
13-10-2023, 09:34 PM
HUN:

Dogs likely to get Coffield for second/third round swap.

Dogs likely to get 49 for Sweet.

Let?s say worst case it?s just one third back from Aints, Pick 56

Then:

48 - 302
49 - 287 (589)
53 - 233 (822)
56 - 194 (1,016)
69 - 49 (1,065)
72 & 75 traded or thrown away

= Croft at basically Pick 10. If he slides, that?s the points if Lual becomes a live option.

Do 72 and 75 have any points value BT?

Please and thank you.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2023, 09:40 PM
Do 72 and 75 have any points value BT?

Please and thank you.

72 has just 19.
75 has none.

They might nudge up ever so fractionally. But we’d need to open up more list spots than we have, so I’d say we are not going to use them unless we are moving two rookie spots to the main list which would cost more money than the points would ever be worth.

So I’d say we would look to potentially trade them or just pass on them. For points purposes.

hujsh
13-10-2023, 10:32 PM
72 has just 19.
75 has none.

They might nudge up ever so fractionally. But we’d need to open up more list spots than we have, so I’d say we are not going to use them unless we are moving two rookie spots to the main list which would cost more money than the points would ever be worth.

So I’d say we would look to potentially trade them or just pass on them. For points purposes.

They don't NOW but on draft night after all the late picks get used on bids they might. 4th round last year ended up starting pick 60 didn't it?

bulldogtragic
13-10-2023, 10:34 PM
They don't NOW but on draft night after all the late picks get used on bids they might. 4th round last year ended up starting pick 60 didn't it?

By the time Croft is bid on (say 10-13) they won’t move drastically higher in points. By the end of the draft perhaps. But Power hasn’t indicated we are interested in drafting late. If there’s 55-60 picks as rumoured/projected, it matters little.

Twodogs
13-10-2023, 10:55 PM
72 has just 19.
75 has none.

So probably won't be useful for a Lual bid then?

bulldogtragic
13-10-2023, 10:59 PM
So probably won't be useful for a Lual bid then?

I don’t think so. Lual needs to get to Pick 41 to be ours (218 points) but at Pick 56 is free. So say he gets to about 150 points. That could be bridged from as little as Croft going at 11 (not 10) and say two GCS bids before ours nudging our picks up. Both highly likely events.

I doubt anyone is interested in the picks is there’s only maybe 60 picks overall but who knows, maybe we can trade them out for a F4.

Twodogs
13-10-2023, 11:05 PM
I don’t think so. Lual needs to get to Pick 41 to be ours (218 points) but at Pick 56 is free. So say he gets to about 150 points. That could be bridged from as little as Croft going at 11 (not 10) and say two GCS bids before ours nudging our picks up. Both highly likely events.

I doubt anyone is interested in the picks is there’s only maybe 60 picks overall but who knows, maybe we can trade them out for a F4.

Trust in the Power of Sam

hujsh
14-10-2023, 12:22 AM
By the time Croft is bid on (say 10-13) they won’t move drastically higher in points. By the end of the draft perhaps. But Power hasn’t indicated we are interested in drafting late. If there’s 55-60 picks as rumoured/projected, it matters little.
Might be relevant for latish points trades, even if not for Croft, or even matching a Lual bid should he fall that far.

Jasper
14-10-2023, 12:54 AM
Coffield could be a great fit for us. Can play on a range of opponents and that should be a positive. Third tall defender and having Naughton, Richards and Coffield from the same draft could set us up for a few years to come.

GVGjr
14-10-2023, 08:21 AM
Coffield could be a great fit for us. Can play on a range of opponents and that should be a positive. Third tall defender and having Naughton, Richards and Coffield from the same draft could set us up for a few years to come.

Providing we can get him fit and he stays that way he should be able to slot into the side for us. 3 x 1st rounders doesn't happen often

There are a few gaps starting to appear in that draft group

#3 Paddy Dow is swapping teams after under-performing for the Blues
#6 Jaidyn Stephenson isn't meeting his potential and joined a 2nd club'
#7 Hunter Clark is an okay player but hasn't quite met his potential
#8 Nick Coffield looks very likely to land at the Kennel after missing 2 years of football
#10 Lockie O'Brien has been delisted by the Blues
#11 Aiden Bonner is in a holding pattern with North and might be delisted and it's his 2nd club
#13 Jarrod Brander is not on a list
#14 Matthew Ling is not on a list

MrMahatma
14-10-2023, 08:29 AM
Providing we can get him fit and he stays that way he should be able to slot into the side for us. 3 x 1st rounders doesn't happen often

#8 Nick Coffield looks very likely to land at the Kennel after missing 2 years of football
#11 Aiden Bonner is in a holding pattern with North and might be delisted and it's his 2nd club

A great illustration why draft picks are overrated, and why if you nail your first rounders (which we tend to) you’re going to get a significant advantage on others

Go_Dogs
14-10-2023, 09:29 AM
We did very well out of that draft with Naughton and Richards.

St Kilda’s talent identification hasn’t been great for a long time. I get they both were highly rated players, and injuries have played a part, however they just seem to draft types who don’t quite come on as expected despite all the pre draft plaudits.

Naughton and Richards are great examples that having a baseline fierce competitive edge is an excellent starting point for a footballer.

Grantysghost
14-10-2023, 09:42 AM

That's an average strike rate for top 15.

If you redid that draft you might just have Naughton as #1.

1. Naughton (9)
2. Taylor (28)
3. Kelly (24)
4. Brayshaw (2)
5. Rayner (1)
6. Cerra (5)
7. LDU (4)
8. Fritsch (31)
9. Ryan (26)
10. Petty (37)
Other notables Balta went at 25, Dekoning (blues) 30, Warpel (45), Oscar Allen (21), Miers (57), Richards (16), Oskar Baker (48).

hujsh
14-10-2023, 10:49 AM
We did very well out of that draft with Naughton and Richards.

St Kilda?s talent identification hasn?t been great for a long time. I get they both were highly rated players, and injuries have played a part, however they just seem to draft types who don?t quite come on as expected despite all the pre draft plaudits.

Naughton and Richards are great examples that having a baseline fierce competitive edge is an excellent starting point for a footballer.

At a certain point you have to wonder what element is talent identification and what element is development. Kind of amazing they are where they are having missed on so many first round picks and in theory would be a very strong team if they'd nailed just 2 more. Hell make that 1 if they pick Bont

jazzadogs
14-10-2023, 10:50 AM
I think Richards is in the 10. Oscar Allen is ahead of Petty as well.

Grantysghost
14-10-2023, 10:59 AM
I think Richards is in the 10. Oscar Allen is ahead of Petty as well.

Interesting.

I feel a woof segment coming on.

Oscar Allen is highly rated.

Who would you take out for Richards JD?

bulldogsthru&thru
14-10-2023, 11:09 AM
At a certain point you have to wonder what element is talent identification and what element is development. Kind of amazing they are where they are having missed on so many first round picks and in theory would be a very strong team if they'd nailed just 2 more. Hell make that 1 if they pick Bont

The players they picked weren't reaches at the time either.

jazzadogs
14-10-2023, 11:56 AM
Interesting.

I feel a woof segment coming on.

Oscar Allen is highly rated.

Who would you take out for Richards JD?

I'd question what Cam Rayner has actually done...never averaged over a goal per game, and only 8 times has he had over 20 touches in a game.

I think Allen would actually be picked in the top 5. 53 goals this year in a horrible team. He'll be an elite key forward for a decade.

Taylor, Kelly, Brayshaw, Ryan have all had AA years.
Naughton, Fritsch and Allen 50 goal seasons.

It's cerra, LDU, Ed, Rayner battling for the last three spots and I think I would choose Cerra, Rayner and Ed.

I don't rate Petty that highly.

Grantysghost
14-10-2023, 11:59 AM
I'd question what Cam Rayner has actually done...never averaged over a goal per game, and only 8 times has he had over 20 touches in a game.

I think Allen would actually be picked in the top 5. 53 goals this year in a horrible team. He'll be an elite key forward for a decade.

Taylor, Kelly, Brayshaw, Ryan have all had AA years.
Naughton, Fritsch and Allen 50 goal seasons.

It's cerra, LDU, Ed, Rayner battling for the last three spots and I think I would choose Cerra, Rayner and Ed.

I don't rate Petty that highly.

Love your work.

Rayner has that explosive potential that can tear games apart, I rate that highly.

That's pretty huge from Allen, yes I concede on that one.

LDU I absolutely love.

Topdog
14-10-2023, 12:22 PM
Rayner has that explosive potential that can tear games apart, I rate that highly.

And if he ever does it consistently he will be a good player

Rocco Jones
14-10-2023, 12:32 PM
1- Taylor
2- Naughton
3- Allen
4- Brayshaw
5- Ryan
6- Kelly
7- LDU
8- Cerra
9- Richards
10- Fritsch

Oscar Allen at a semi decent side wound be see as elite.

jazzadogs
14-10-2023, 01:07 PM
Love your work.

That's pretty huge from Allen, yes I concede on that one.

LDU I absolutely love.

Yeh I think I'm actually going LDU over Rayner. I was posting quickly before my taking my bub to swimming lessons...blasted Rayner, then said he's in my top 10 anyway haha.

Rocco's list is pretty close to my thoughts.

Grantysghost
14-10-2023, 01:54 PM
1- Taylor
2- Naughton
3- Allen
4- Brayshaw
5- Ryan
6- Kelly
7- LDU
8- Cerra
9- Richards
10- Fritsch

Oscar Allen at a semi decent side wound be see as elite.

Two defenders at one and two for you RJ. You get Geoff Southby in next years Norm Smith sweep ;)

Twodogs
14-10-2023, 02:03 PM

If we can get Coffield on the cheap and get him fit then we've made out like bandits from that draft

Twodogs
14-10-2023, 02:07 PM
That's an average strike rate for top 15.

If you redid that draft you might just have Naughton as #1.

1. Naughton (9)
2. Taylor (28)
3. Kelly (24)
4. Brayshaw (2)
5. Rayner (1)
6. Cerra (5)
7. LDU (4)
8. Fritsch (31)
9. Ryan (26)
10. Petty (37)
Other notables Balta went at 25, Dekoning (blues) 30, Warpel (45), Oscar Allen (21), Miers (57), Richards (16), Oskar Baker (48).

I'm still feeling ripped off after watching Terry DeKoning ( the dad of the brothers') play 31 of the most ordinary games ever for us in the early '80s that we didn't get them as some sort of compensation.

Bulldog4life
14-10-2023, 06:44 PM
https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=573394023&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi14NHb9vSBAxV_r1YBHfkcCxkQ_AUoA3oECAEQBQ&q=nick%20coffield%20highlights&biw=1920&bih=955&dpr=1#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:aea96279,vid:nxn3pLFIea8,st:0

Nick's first game highlights. Impressive. All depends on his body now.

Uninformed
14-10-2023, 11:23 PM
https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=573394023&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi14NHb9vSBAxV_r1YBHfkcCxkQ_AUoA3oECAEQBQ&q=nick%20coffield%20highlights&biw=1920&bih=955&dpr=1#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:aea96279,vid:nxn3pLFIea8,st:0

Nick's first game highlights. Impressive. All depends on his body now.

Nice

bulldogtragic
16-10-2023, 11:16 AM
Morris:

Carlton: Wants more than a future fourth for Paddy Dow.
St Kilda: Won't part with Pick 56 for Dow + wants Pick 40 from the Dogs for Nick Coffield.
Dogs: Want something back if they are going to part with Pick 40 for Coffield.
Essendon: Involved to help swap draft picks and unlock above trades.

hujsh
16-10-2023, 11:18 AM
Morris:

St Kilda: Won't part with Pick 56 for Dow + wants Pick 40 from the Dogs for Nick Coffield.

Carlton+Dogs seem reasonable. Sains being flogs and presumably Essendon being opportunistic and will gain something (I wish we were too)

azabob
16-10-2023, 11:20 AM
Morris:

Are the saints serious? Just get the deals done...I said this would happen just before the trade period started.

Dow and Coffield are worth the same - NOTHING.

Saints wanting to pay nothing for Dow and expect us to pay through the nose for Coffield.

GVGjr
16-10-2023, 11:22 AM
Are the saints serious? Just get the deals done...I said this would happen just before the trade period started.

Dow and Coffield are worth the same - NOTHING.

Saints wanting to pay nothing for Dow and expect us to pay through the nose for Coffield.

They're trying to get Henry from Fremantle so unless the Coffield pick unlocks that they might hold firm for a while
I think the pick we get for Sweet might help us with the Coffield deal.

hujsh
16-10-2023, 11:25 AM
They're trying to get Henry from Fremantle so unless the Coffield pick unlocks that they might hold firm for a while
I think the pick we get for Sweet might help us with the Coffield deal.

That might be dependent on Essendon's deal being done first though

Happy Days
16-10-2023, 12:17 PM
If we’re giving up 40 the something back we’re after better be pick 39.

Testekill
16-10-2023, 12:25 PM
Pick 40 might be a wasted pick after the Croft bid but I'd rather burn it on points then let the Saints try and take us for a ride for a player who hasn't played an AFL game in two years. Take him in the PSD or with one of our late picks, that's literally what it's for.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2023, 12:30 PM
Pick 40 might be a wasted pick after the Croft bid but I'd rather burn it on points then let the Saints try and take us for a ride for a player who hasn't played an AFL game in two years. Take him in the PSD or with one of our late picks, that's literally what it's for.

Yep. At a worst case they have to hand back pick 56, if not another third rounder. It’s actually a trade that can unlock Henry for them this year without cutting into their future picks. This is why I don’t rate SOS. This should’ve been done already with Dow too. You’d think it was Taranto or Dunkley…

Other than that, PSD. No one will touch Coffield without a medical. Then we sell pick 40 for two 3rds and go in with more than enough points for Croft and Lual if he slides.

What is it with list managers being dicks this year more than normal?

bulldogtragic
16-10-2023, 12:34 PM
Trade radio Twitter:

"There is a confidence that Nick Coffield and Paddy Dow will find homes by the end of today. There will be a three or four team trade it seems to satisfy all parties. Essendon may be involved with pick exchanges."

Axe Man
16-10-2023, 12:59 PM

Yep. At a worst case they have to hand back pick 56, if not another third rounder. It?s actually a trade that can unlock Henry for them this year without cutting into their future picks. This is why I don?t rate SOS. This should?ve been done already with Dow too. You?d think it was Taranto or Dunkley?

Other than that, PSD. No one will touch Coffield without a medical. Then we sell pick 40 for two 3rds and go in with more than enough points for Croft and Lual if he slides.

I already asked this but don't think it was answered - can't we just sign him as a delisted free agent from 1 November rather than waiting for the PSD if a trade is not agreed?

GVGjr
16-10-2023, 01:00 PM
I get that the Saints would want more but I've now changed my mind that we might have to be prepared to let him go to the PSD. Not ideal but it solves a few challenges

hujsh
16-10-2023, 01:05 PM
I already asked this but don't think it was answered - can't we just sign him as a delisted free agent from 1 November rather than waiting for the PSD if a trade is not agreed?

I think if you've been offered a contract you're not 'delisted' and have to enter the draft or PSD. If you don't get drafted maybe then you're a DFA?

bulldogtragic
16-10-2023, 01:07 PM
I think if you've been offered a contract you're not 'delisted' and have to enter the draft or PSD. If you don't get drafted maybe then you're a DFA?

Correct. St Kilda would need to delist him. If not, he’s uncontracted and can’t exercise DFA rights.

jeemak
16-10-2023, 03:11 PM

Don't want to let Dodoro go out on a high?

Sedat
16-10-2023, 03:17 PM
Don't want to let Dodoro go out on a high?
Well he's already about to win the trade week premiership the 10th year in a row, that's going out on a high note that Costanza couldn't even match.

bornadog
16-10-2023, 05:46 PM
Well he's already about to win the trade week premiership the 10th year in a row, that's going out on a high note that Costanza couldn't even match.

I think Dodo has lost his Crown to Swans

hujsh
16-10-2023, 05:57 PM
2nd or third day this trade is meant to have gone down but hasn't. Never stop never stopping Saints

Sedat
16-10-2023, 06:09 PM
2nd or third day this trade is meant to have gone down but hasn't. Never stop never stopping Saints
Awesome film, so underrated

GVGjr
16-10-2023, 06:13 PM
I think Dodo has lost his Crown to Swans

The trade period isn't over...once he fleeces Port the crown will be his again :)

kruder
16-10-2023, 07:00 PM
Would be stunned if Coffield doesn't get done.

GVGjr
16-10-2023, 07:22 PM
Would be stunned if Coffield doesn't get done.
Same here, it's just a timing thing.

hujsh
17-10-2023, 05:01 PM
"The Dogs are prepared to hand over pick 40 for Coffield but will receive a pair of later selections in this draft which will help them build a tally of points to match a father-son bid for athletic tall Croft. "

Code Sports. Sounds good/about what BT mentioned initially

Testekill
17-10-2023, 06:34 PM
Done deal, coughed up 40 and our future 4th round pick but got Coffield and two 3rd rounders. Glad it has finally gotten done because Silvagni's dick waving contest was getting old.

edit: I believe we're losing out future 4th but the trade hasn't been finalised yet.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2023, 06:40 PM
"The Dogs are prepared to hand over pick 40 for Coffield but will receive a pair of later selections in this draft which will help them build a tally of points to match a father-son bid for athletic tall Croft. "

Code Sports. Sounds good/about what BT mentioned initially

I got one right? What?!?

azabob
17-10-2023, 06:43 PM
I got one right? What?!?

BT we get 52, 56 and lose 40 and F4

Good or bad Croft wise?

Grantysghost
17-10-2023, 06:44 PM
I got one right? What?!?

Give yourself the rest of the day off, great work!

GVGjr
17-10-2023, 06:47 PM
I got one right? What?!?

How about getting that Sweet deal completed? :)

bulldogtragic
17-10-2023, 06:48 PM
BT we get 52, 56 and lose 40 and F4

Good or bad Croft wise?

Good. It’s only 11 more points but Coffield comes in. So we are up on points and used a F4. I’m very happy with that. Coffield should be considered free.

hujsh
17-10-2023, 06:53 PM
Yeah great deal given our situation and Coffield's general situation. Good to get him in the club day 1 of pre-season too

Testekill
17-10-2023, 06:55 PM
Functionally we got Coffield for a future 4th which might as well be nothing considering how rarely those picks seem to be used.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2023, 06:58 PM
Functionally we got Coffield for a future 4th which might as well be nothing considering how rarely those picks seem to be used.

But we got an upgrade of 11 points too. So F4 less points this year. Means in net effect an even lower F4. Good trade.

jeemak
17-10-2023, 07:01 PM
Glad that's done. Good trade outcome.

bornadog
17-10-2023, 07:11 PM
Sounds like there was a complicated deal happening involving multiple clubs

GVGjr
17-10-2023, 07:16 PM
I like us bringing in Coffield. He's a solid all-round defender who can play on a variety of players and he's a pretty decent kick.
Lets hope he can get as fit as he can and he's right in the mix for a senior spot from round 1.

The Doctor
17-10-2023, 07:30 PM
Good. It?s only 11 more points but Coffield comes in. So we are up on points and used a F4. I?m very happy with that. Coffield should be considered free.

It could end up being a little more BT once GC use their picks to match bids and our picks move up the order.

For example should we move up 3 spots pick 40 turns into 37 (483 points) and 52 & 56 become 49 & 53 (520 points). We gain 37 poinys in this scenario. Should GC further split their picks so long as they are before ours it could increase further.

hujsh
17-10-2023, 07:33 PM
It could end up being a little more BT once GC use their picks to match bids and our picks move up the order.

For example should we move up 3 spots pick 40 turns into 37 (483 points) and 52 & 56 become 49 & 53 (520 points). We gain 37 poinys in this scenario. Should GC further split their picks so long as they are before ours it could increase further.

Was just about to post that turning one pick into two might also be a sneaky way to gain points as the bids eat up 2nd and 3rd round picks. Means 2 picks are moving up the list instead of 1

KT31
17-10-2023, 07:34 PM
Greta pick and cost us very little.

The Underdog
17-10-2023, 07:50 PM
I like us bringing in Coffield. He's a solid all-round defender who can play on a variety of players and he's a pretty decent kick.
Lets hope he can get as fit as he can and he's right in the mix for a senior spot from round 1.

Yeah, I don’t think there’s any question about him being capable of best 22 on talent and ability. It’s going to be purely about his ability to get on the park. But a pretty low stakes high upside pick at that price.

Twodogs
17-10-2023, 08:04 PM
Greta pick and cost us very little.

What's Greta got to do with it?

Grantysghost
17-10-2023, 08:12 PM
What's Greta got to do with it?

https://media.giphy.com/media/U1aN4HTfJ2SmgB2BBK/giphy.gif

bulldogtragic
17-10-2023, 08:14 PM

Yep. I think I calculated the other day a bump if 130-150 points once bids start getting matched. Which will hopefully cover Lual if he slides even with Croft around Pick 10. If he gets to 12 it’s all gravy.

Twodogs
17-10-2023, 08:19 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/U1aN4HTfJ2SmgB2BBK/giphy.gif

Sorry Ms Thornburg.

Go dogs!

kruder
17-10-2023, 08:58 PM
Like many picks in the draft there was discussion back in the day on if Coffield could play midfield at AFL level. I know he has to get in the park first, its an interesting question.

Really like this trade, basically a free hit for mine and we know if fit he can easily be best 22 within this group.

kruder
17-10-2023, 09:09 PM

Will play round 1 if fit, lock it in.

bornadog
17-10-2023, 09:14 PM
Will play round 1 if fit, lock it in.

Played end of season in VFL, so hopefully stays injury free. Great thing is he is only 24 years old (next week) - bargain.

hujsh
17-10-2023, 09:20 PM
Played end of season in VFL, so hopefully stays injury free. Great thing is he is only 24 years old (next week) - bargain.

Decent touch too. Averaging something like 23-24 disposals in his 4 games. For not having played in a long time not the worst return.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-10-2023, 10:30 PM
Interested in his mobility/agility now. If he still has that, he just needs some luck.

Good moneyball pick though.

FrediKanoute
18-10-2023, 12:12 AM
Happy to bring him in. If he works great. If not oh well. Need to work with him on getting his body right and understanding what it needs.

Eastdog
18-10-2023, 12:24 PM
Welcome to the Dogs Nick. Hope he goes well with us and gets on the park consistently.

Nuggety Back Pocket
18-10-2023, 02:00 PM

Grew up a one eyed Bulldogs fan with his best mate being Patrick Lipinski.
Was a previous high draft pick and together with James Ratten will add some badly needed depth together with Jordan Croft, as well to our line up.
Sam Power has done a very good job with our recruiting.

hujsh
18-10-2023, 03:11 PM
Officially official. They moved the time up to 2pm for some reason.

Welcome home Nick

Sedat
18-10-2023, 03:27 PM
Officially official
CoNtEnT

merantau
18-10-2023, 03:39 PM
I hope he goes really well. I don't think we've had much luck with pick ups from other clubs for a while now. It's about time we struck some gold.

azabob
18-10-2023, 03:50 PM
CoNtEnT

Normally content, but this time it is amateur hour.

They also advised that the trade window shuts at 7pm to lodge the trades and need to be finalised by 7.30pm.

Mantis
18-10-2023, 03:52 PM
Grew up a one eyed Bulldogs fan with his best mate being Patrick Lipinski.
Was a previous high draft pick and together with James Ratten will add some badly needed depth together with Jordan Croft, as well to our line up.
Sam Power has done a very good job with our recruiting.

Who?

GVGjr
18-10-2023, 03:54 PM
Who?

I'm assuming he means JOD

Axe Man
18-10-2023, 03:56 PM
Who?

I'm assuming he means JOD

I'm thinking it's a Harmes autocorrect.

GVGjr
18-10-2023, 03:58 PM
I'm thinking it's a Harmes autocorrect.

Thanks, that makes more sense

Nuggety Back Pocket
18-10-2023, 06:59 PM
Who?

My apologies should have read Harmes

hujsh
18-10-2023, 07:57 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1453647/welcome-to-the-west-nick-coffield?videoId=1453647&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1697598000001

We found some highlights after all

Mofra
19-10-2023, 08:54 AM
If he gets on the paddock, bonus

For the cost of a F4, the risk vs reward ratio for Coffield surely exceeds what we'd normally get from a draftee in that range.

GVGjr
19-10-2023, 09:09 AM
If he gets on the paddock, bonus

For the cost of a F4, the risk vs reward ratio for Coffield surely exceeds what we'd normally get from a draftee in that range.

We must be confident he's over his injury challenges and as Power mentioned his ability to play on a variety of opponents will be handy for us. With a couple of older key defenders mixed in with some younger and inexperienced types, Coffield certainly fills a bit of a void for us.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2023, 09:13 AM
Just to drill down further.

We got 52 & 56 for an 11 point increase - which is equal to an end of Fourth Rounder (Pick 72). Giving up a F4. So Coffield costs a swap of our F4 for an end of fourth this year (72). If we finish 9th again (Pick 65 after two compo north picks), that is a mere 7 pick downgrade, but as we need points, we are well ahead of even.

But…

If all three GCS bids come in, and our picks turn into 49 & 53. Then:

We get picks 49, 53 & point increase equal to pick 66. Our 4th this year is currently 69, 65 next year before shuffling if we finish 9th so probably 67+.

Take away on trade cost:

Worst Case: about an 7 pick downgrade in the fourth rounders over two years, but we need the points now so we are ahead. Free to better than free.

Best Case: a slight increase over fourth rounders over two years while securing points this year when we need it. Actually a little ahead to a little bit more ahead.

I’d say that in this trade we are surprisingly AHEAD of what we gave up. Or another way, we may likely be paid more points than Coffield. So we were paid to take him from a trade cost perspective. If he does not get his body right, we are ahead. If he gets his body and right and finds form, then this will go down in the nominations in the best trade thread. The fine print of the trade is very, very good for us.

josie
19-10-2023, 03:23 PM
Just watched Coffield’s interview at WO and lovely to see a player who really wanted to join us. Tickled pink about this trade and hope he has better luck with injuries so he can play his best. Big, big smile - I’ll be cheering big time for him for sure. Also great seeing Arty there (doing extra work at the club a good sign) giving Nick a welcome.

hujsh
19-10-2023, 03:27 PM
Just watched Coffield’s interview at WO and lovely to see a player who really wanted to join us. Tickled pink about this trade and hope he has better luck with injuries so he can play his best. Big, big smile - I’ll be cheering big time for him for sure. Also great seeing Arty there (doing extra work at the club a good sign) giving Nick a welcome.

Think I remember seeing Arty in the Harmes one too but with a sling on post surgery. Good to see it off so hopefully he's ready to have a big pre-season too

Grantysghost
19-10-2023, 05:29 PM

Same - really liked it. One of us, one of us. Now we just need to get Lippa back ;)

bornadog
19-10-2023, 10:05 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F8xFdVOb0AABj6v?format=jpg&name=medium

FrediKanoute
20-10-2023, 12:20 AM
Time will tell but I think this could be a big win for us.

dog town
20-10-2023, 07:37 AM
A good sign that he played the last 4 games in the VFL and got through while playing reasonably well. His first game back from injury he had 28 touches against Collingwood but most of them were uncontested marks and handball receives, he didn?t look comfortable one on one or competing for marks. In his last 1-2 games his confidence started to return in the air.

I think he will play on smalls/mediums if selected and potentially give us a bit more flexibility. At times last year Ed Richards was the clear best match up for opponents but his intercepting and run meant we just couldn?t do it. I think they just want another mid size option to give us more flexibility.

Coffield does get caught running himself into trouble a bit. Likes to go sideways and hold onto the footy looking for a target and occasionally can cause frustration in those situations.

comrade
20-10-2023, 09:55 AM
Just saw a short clip of him answering questions, he’s an absolute Bulldogs nuffy. Love to see it.

angelopetraglia
20-10-2023, 12:32 PM
What are the odds of recruinting another player from Eltham, who played for the Eltham Panthers, who barracked for the Bulldogs growing up and also went to Whitefriars College?

bulldogtragic
20-10-2023, 12:35 PM
What are the odds of recruinting another player from Eltham, who played for the Eltham Panthers, who barracked for the Bulldogs growing up and also went to Whitefriars College?

1 in 6,453

chef
20-10-2023, 12:56 PM
Just saw a short clip of him answering questions, he’s an absolute Bulldogs nuffy. Love to see it.

Hope his granddad is still alive to see his first game. Would be pretty special.

angelopetraglia
20-10-2023, 01:24 PM
1 in 6,453

Ha. I put it at this.

Barracks for Bulldogs 1 in 18. Lives in Eltham 1 in 15,353. Plays for the Panthers 1 in 6,611. Went to Whitefriars 1 in 9,614.

Therefore the odds of this happening is 1 in 2,264,887,897,414,126

angelopetraglia
20-10-2023, 01:29 PM
There are 6,611 Australian Football Clubs in Australia. The odds of two players from the same junior football club playing in the same AFL team is one in 43 million. That alone is incredible.

Twodogs
20-10-2023, 02:04 PM
There are 6,611 Australian Football Clubs in Australia. The odds of two players from the same junior football club playing in the same AFL team is one in 43 million. That alone is incredible.

The last time it happened with us was probably Doug Hawkins and Robert Groenewegan back in the mid 80s

angelopetraglia
20-10-2023, 02:33 PM
The last time it happened with us was probably Doug Hawkins and Robert Groenewegan back in the mid 80s

Pat Lipinksi and Marcus Bontempelli were both Eltham players too.

anfo27
20-10-2023, 05:54 PM
Like everyone else, I like this pick up. Potential is there that if Nick gets his body right, then we've found a best 22 player in the back half for very little expense.
Great move Sam Power, now go for other players who were die hard dogs fans ie. Zak Butters.

Hotdog60
20-10-2023, 07:35 PM
I can't quick remember but was it Coffield that looked a little disappointed when he got picked on draft night?

bulldogsthru&thru
20-10-2023, 08:11 PM
I can't quick remember but was it Coffield that looked a little disappointed when he got picked on draft night?

Yeah it was. Well supposedly he looked that way.

Testekill
20-10-2023, 08:31 PM

He definitely looked at least a little upset that he went just before our pick, IIRC there was a decent amount of chatter that we were interested in him prior to the draft.

GVGjr
21-10-2023, 06:32 PM
“I was pretty keen” (https://www.zerohanger.com/i-was-pretty-keen-new-bulldog-nick-coffield-details-eagerness-to-depart-saints-for-kennel-144883/)

Fresh Western Bulldogs trade recruit Nick Coffield has detailed his keenness to get to the Kennel following a difficult stint as a Saint to start his AFL career.

After being selected No. 8 overall by St Kilda at the 2017 National Draft, Coffield went on to play just 52 senior games across six seasons at Moorabbin as he battled persistent injury.

Coffield was traded as part of a deal that was finalised on deadline day; offloaded by Stephen Silvagni's St Kilda as it welcomed Paddy Dow from the Blues.

The rebounding defender, who sought a "fresh start" after a torrid Saints tenure, described his happiness at arriving at Whitten Oval following the conclusion of the trade period.

"It's awesome, obviously [I'm really] stoked to be on board, pretty keen to get started, but yeah, pretty keen to have a fresh start and get to work with all the boys," Coffield told WesternBulldogs.com.au.

"Yeah, it's pretty cool, I know dad's pretty stoked and my grandpa would be, too, it's a bit of a weird feeling but it is pretty cool."

The 23-year-old cited his pre-existing relationship with Bulldogs assistant coach Brendon Lade, who was previously assisting at St Kilda, as well as his subsequent discussions with a number of Dogs higher-ups as the catalyst for his cross-town switch.

"I caught up with 'Bevo' (Luke Beveridge), Sam (Power), and 'Ladey' (Brendon Lade) as well, probably three or four weeks ago now, had a few chats to them," continued Coffield.

"Obviously [I've] got a pretty good relationship with 'Ladey', I probably [spent] about three years with him at the Saints, so yeah, they sort of ran us through everything, [we] had a great chat and I was pretty keen to come before then, but that definitely got me over the line.

"[I've been] battling injuries the last couple of years, but sort of felt like I got on top of them at the end of last year, playing the last four games in the VFL, so hopefully that's all past me.

Coffield revealed his likely position among the Bulldogs' 2024 lineup, adding his praise for the club's "unreal" list construction heading into the new season.

"Probably just in the backline, I had a couple of chats with 'Bevo', I think that's where he probably sees me, I think that's where [my] strengths are as well, so I think I'll probably just stay there," Coffield said.

"[We've] got an unreal list, I think the group's got a lot of potential to do a lot of damage, so if I can be a part of that, and potentially contribute, that'd be awesome."

KT31
23-10-2023, 10:57 PM
Is claiming the McPherson brothers cheating? :)

macca
23-10-2023, 11:32 PM

He was going to the saints , its been a merri go round of coaches
Can’t blame him
It’s good pickup for not much expense .

Jasper
27-10-2023, 10:07 AM
It's hard not to like adding Nick Coffield to our back line and he should be able fit in nicely.
We normally play 7 defenders and one of them seems to fill in a variety of positions and Coffield should be able to do that for us.

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-11-2023, 05:16 PM

George Bisset and Ivan Marsh also from Braybrook both started in 1963.

ledge
03-11-2023, 05:44 PM
Zeno tztazaris , Darren Brown , Phil okeefe ,Hugh Litchfield all went to totty Nth primary at the same time.
Darren went onto bray-brook high just after hawk and Groenwagen left . Brian Wilson was also amongst it.

Twodogs
03-11-2023, 06:29 PM
Butch Litchfield was a huge talent. Every one of those "Massive Ability/Didn't Make It" lists should have his name at the top and then daylight.

ledge
03-11-2023, 06:51 PM
Butch Litchfield was a huge talent. Every one of those "Massive Ability/Didn't Make It" lists should have his name at the top and then daylight.

Fred Cook fans would debate that.

Sadly both had other things they decided to pursue other than AFL football.
Another massive talent was a guy called Shepperbottom, same problem , braybrook high kid too. Oh Also Johnny Cuzzupe, all had the same interests above football.

Twodogs
03-11-2023, 10:39 PM
Fred Cook fans would debate that.

Sadly both had other things they decided to pursue other than AFL football.
Another massive talent was a guy called Shepperbottom, same problem , braybrook high kid too. Oh Also Johnny Cuzzupe, all had the same interests above football.

Bucky Shepperbottom. He was a fairly talented cricketer too from memory. He was a mate of a mate. I think that they may have gone to school together.

ledge
04-11-2023, 12:29 AM
Bucky Shepperbottom. He was a fairly talented cricketer too from memory. He was a mate of a mate. I think that they may have gone to school together.

I went to school with all of them and coached Bucky in under 16 cricket at totty Baps . He was captain and didn’t want to play a certain game , we talked him into it and he made 100 in 20 overs .

merantau
11-11-2023, 10:36 PM
The Litchfield family were a very talented bunch. The first game of football I ever saw was in 1956. It was a practice match between Braybrook and the Young Chinese League. I'd never seen a Chinese person and was totally surprised when they came out of the change rooms. They wore green and white hooped jumpers a la Glasgow Celtic.
I was at the game because my elder sister had been invited to the match by Johnny Litchfield, who I assume was Hugh "Butch" Litchfield's father. I can vividly recall Johnny kicking a drop kick goal from the centre circle at Pennell Reserve. The ball landed on the 10 yard square and bounced through for a goal.
I saw Hugh play his only game for the Footscray Reserves. It was at the Lake Oval against South. He kicked 3 goals.

There were a couple of Litchfield's who played cricket at Sunshine United. They were very good players especially Jeff?? who was wicket keeper for the First 1X.

merantau
12-11-2023, 08:30 AM
The Litchfield family were a very talented bunch. The first game of football I ever saw was in 1956. It was a practice match between Braybrook and the Young Australian Chinese. I'd never seen a Chinese person and was totally surprised when they came out of the change rooms. They wore green and white hooped jumpers a la Glasgow Celtic.
I was at the game because my elder sister had been invited to the match by Johnny Litchfield, who I assume was Hugh "Butch" Litchfield's father. I can vividly recall Johnny kicking a drop kick goal from the centre circle at Pennell Reserve. The ball landed on the 10 yard square and bounced through for a goal.
I saw Hugh play his only game for the Footscray Reserves. It was at the Lake Oval against South. He kicked 3 goals.

There were a couple of Litchfield's who played cricket at Sunshine United. They were very good players especially Jeff?? who was wicket keeper for the First 1X.

Btw, before the game I had no idea who Braybrook were playing hence my surprise when they ran out on the ground. It was years later when I was telling this story to Russell Jack OAM, the driving force behind Bendigo's marvellous Chinese Museum, that I learnt that the team was known,according to him, as the Young Australian Chinese. I have done some research and discovered that the team was called the "Young Chinese League."

Twodogs
12-11-2023, 01:41 PM
I've read about a Chinese team playing a team of locals up at Bendigo in the 1890s for a charity. Could have been the Base Hospital? I'll try and find out.

ledge
14-11-2023, 06:43 PM
Btw, before the game I had no idea who Braybrook were playing hence my surprise when they ran out on the ground. It was years later when I was telling this story to Russell Jack OAM, the driving force behind Bendigo's marvellous Chinese Museum, that I learnt that the team was known,according to him, as the Young Australian Chinese. I have done some research and discovered that the team was called the "Young Chinese League."

Butch played cricket at a few teams , him and Darren Brown ( another ex dogs player ) coached at Tottenham baptist for a year or so , butch talked me into coming back to Totty and in the one year he won champion player I won a lower grade batting average.
Butch was an extremely quick bowler and handy with the bat .

ledge
14-11-2023, 06:43 PM
Any news on Coffield training ?

azabob
14-11-2023, 09:09 PM

Maybe look at his socials?
Offical training hasn’t started yet.

Twodogs
14-11-2023, 09:50 PM

I think that it's only the year 1-4 kiddies training ATM.
From memory the older players come back next week or the week after .