PDA

View Full Version : Rating the 2023 Trade Period

bulldogtragic
10-10-2023, 03:12 PM
I will update it as it as it progresses:

Done:

3 x Firsts - for - Pick 5 and 2 x Thirds & F3 (kept)
Harmes for a F3 (ours)
Coffield and net gain of draft points which cancels out the F4 (FREE)
Sweet for Pick 50

Draft Points to cover Croft & Lual

Trades In:

Harmes (F3 tied to Dogs)
Coffield (Effectively free)
Lots of draft points

Trade Out:

Sweet - Pick 50

G-Mo77
10-10-2023, 03:50 PM
Fail.

Too early?

The Underdog
10-10-2023, 03:54 PM
This could get uglier than a game day thread...

DOG GOD
10-10-2023, 04:27 PM
Mega fail, and I think it could even get worse.

Happy Days
10-10-2023, 04:35 PM
Ngl I’m pretty heated about all this. These moves don’t make sense in a vacuum, and combined they could be disastrous. That pick we gave away could be pretty decent, and Harmes in 2026 will be a complete albatross.

hujsh
10-10-2023, 04:37 PM
Ngl I’m pretty heated about all this. These moves don’t make sense in a vacuum, and combined they could be disastrous. That pick we gave away could be pretty decent, and Harmes in 2026 will be a complete albatross.

I don't understand what has happened to the guy that didn't want to pay more than a second round pick for Bruce and Keath. Why are we giving away a future third for a guy whose club doesn't want him?

Are we going to pay a second for Coffield too?

bulldogtragic
10-10-2023, 04:40 PM
So 3 x Firsts for Pick 5, 500 points and Harmes.

That’s bigfooty type trades from GCS & Melbourne.

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 04:40 PM
Fail.

Too early?

Too late.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2023, 04:41 PM
Too late.

Inmates are running the asylum. Send help.

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 04:41 PM
So 3 x Firsts for Pick 5, 500 points and Harmes.

That’s bigfooty type trades from GCS & Melbourne.

But but but the rest of the draft sucks, and father sons and academies and compos means pick 10 is pick 34 so it's fine.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-10-2023, 04:43 PM
This could be the beginning of the end. Bontempelli will see out his career elsewhere at this rate. He's not going to want to hang around this dumpster fire.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2023, 04:43 PM
But but but the rest of the draft sucks, and father sons and academies and compos means pick 10 is pick 34 so it's fine.

At this rate it’s rights to Jaxon Cooney & Levi West for Coffield.

Mantis
10-10-2023, 04:48 PM
This could be the beginning of the end. Bontempelli will see out his career elsewhere at this rate. He's not going to want to hang around this dumpster fire.

Do you actually think about what you post or just hit the post button?

bulldogsthru&thru
10-10-2023, 04:49 PM
Do you actually think about what you post or just hit the post button?

Eh there's more than a few mumblings about his discontent.

Anyway, I won't bother.

Mantis
10-10-2023, 04:54 PM

Anyway, I won't bother.

You should bother.... you are free to challenge decisions made by the club but have the ability to stand behind your comments with some facts rather than faceless rumours.

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 04:58 PM

Imagine that. I think the club would explode.

Up at Brisbane with Dunks XD

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 05:00 PM

Anyway, I won't bother.

Hey - bother! I'm slightly concerned atm too. I think Marcus is not going anywhere though.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-10-2023, 05:03 PM
Hey - bother! I'm slightly concerned atm too. I think Marcus is not going anywhere though.

I don't think it's a question of him leaving at all right now. More that I've heard from a few people (can't verify their sources though so could all be bs although one got Leppitsch staying correct) that he's not happy with 'things'. If we can't turn this thing around and start bottoming out in 2-3yrs, would you think he'll want to see out a rebuild? He's an all time champion in the prime of his career and if we miss finals again next year......

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 06:06 PM
I don't think it's a question of him leaving at all right now. More that I've heard from a few people (can't verify their sources though so could all be bs although one got Leppitsch staying correct) that he's not happy with 'things'. If we can't turn this thing around and start bottoming out in 2-3yrs, would you think he'll want to see out a rebuild? He's an all time champion in the prime of his career and if we miss finals again next year......

Yeah he would have to think hard about whether he wants to stay through that. I guess Pendles might be a good one to follow they were pretty low two years ago.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-10-2023, 06:26 PM
Yeah he would have to think hard about whether he wants to stay through that. I guess Pendles might be a good one to follow they were pretty low two years ago.

Pendles was one i thought about but when you've bottomed out due to mismanagement as opposed to being at the end of your cycle it may be harder to swallow.

All speculation of course but it wouldn't at all surprise me if he was greatly frustrated to be sitting out September 2 years in a row and staring down the barrel of a rebuild.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-10-2023, 01:44 PM
Clearly club has a brave vision led by committee.
The club has my faith , loyalty and anxieties.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2023, 09:03 PM

Done:

Harmes for a F3 (ours)

Trades In:

Coffield (effectively free)
Harmes (F3 tied to Dogs)
Lots of draft points

Trade Out:

Sweet (soon)

Updated

bulldogtragic
17-10-2023, 09:13 PM
Main List:

Coffield for TOB
Harmes for McLean

Pick 6 kid for Hannan
Croft for Bruce

Go_Dogs
17-10-2023, 09:28 PM
Main List:

Coffield for TOB
Harmes for McLean

Pick 6 kid for Hannan
Croft for Bruce

So given how many picks we have to take for the points, are we expecting to upgrade / re-draft a few players in the ND do you think BT? I suspect that’s why we are holding on Roarke and Crozier.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2023, 09:37 PM
So given how many picks we have to take for the points, are we expecting to upgrade / re-draft a few players in the ND do you think BT? I suspect that’s why we are holding on Roarke and Crozier.

I think we need six spots at this point on the main list to use our main six picks:

TOB, Hannan, Sweet, McLean & Bruce (5)

So I think one more goes off the main, either Croz or Bedendo.

But we may only use 3-4 spots on draftees. Say for convo sake it’s four, plus we elevate Scott (5 spots filled). Then there’s one vacancy in which we could re-draft Bedendo or elevate another rookie.

So I think it’s Croz vs Bedendo for the last spot right now
Then re-draft Bedendo/Croz at the ND vs elevate Roarke or McNeil
Alternatively, elevate Roarke or McNeil and try to rookie draft Bedendo/Croz

Or cut them all and bring in new players

(Assuming one spot)

Go_Dogs
17-10-2023, 09:43 PM
Thanks BT.

kruder
17-10-2023, 09:59 PM
Coffield and Harmes both have the potential to be best 22 and are better than many players on our list last year so that's a tick. Schultz would have been perfect for us, I think he is the big missed opportunity(a little unlucky he chose to leave this year)

McKercher/Watson/Sanders and Croft(Needs to be played in defence from day one!) are all exiting players while filling needs on our list.

Im actually fairly happy with the period, I'm just still a little concerned with the coaching/management situation. I just wish we could have got Leppa from Collingwood, I reckon he would have made a bigger difference than any player traded this period.

mjp
17-10-2023, 11:48 PM
Coffield and Harmes both have the potential to be best 22 and are better than many players on our list last year so that's a tick. Schultz would have been perfect for us, I think he is the big missed opportunity(a little unlucky he chose to leave this year)

McKercher/Watson/Sanders and Croft(Needs to be played in defence from day one!) are all exiting players while filling needs on our list.

Im actually fairly happy with the period, I'm just still a little concerned with the coaching/management situation. I just wish we could have got Leppa from Collingwood, I reckon he would have made a bigger difference than any player traded this period.

If we end up with 3x best 22 players (Coffield, Harmes and Pick 5) out of the trade period that's good.
Getting Croft is good.

I'm not sold on the decision making right now but the footy club has showed with their decision making over the past 2x off-seasons that they think we are right in it to win it and has recruited on that basis. Honestly, I admire their steadfast insistence that we are in a position to win-NOW despite everything I watch pointing to the contrary, but in terms of 'on paper' talent, I tend to think they're correct...

For me, I just feel the group is missing 'something' that has zero to do with the players on the park as individuals but everything to do with the way they interact and play together. What's wrong? Stuffed if I know...

In short:
1/. I understand WHAT the club has done and can see consistency in their list moves over the past 2-seasons.
2/. I have zero faith that what we have done will impact on our performances + win-loss because I don't really think it is talent (or game plan for that matter) that is causing us to lose games.

FrediKanoute
18-10-2023, 12:21 AM
B+

Pick 4 gives us a shot at a top line player and also avoids us having to use our R1 pick on Croft
Harmes - paid peanuts in terms of draft picks and is an upgrade on the guys he will replace or push to the periphery
Coffield - a free hit on a guy who has upside in terms of age and performance. If he gets his body right will replace aging backline players or release Ed/Dale/JJ further up the field

Its a solid bit of work.

FrediKanoute
18-10-2023, 12:23 AM
I'm not sold on the decision making right now but the footy club has showed with their decision making over the past 2x off-seasons that they think we are right in it to win it and has recruited on that basis. Honestly, I admire their steadfast insistence that we are in a position to win-NOW despite everything I watch pointing to the contrary, but in terms of 'on paper' talent, I tend to think they're correct...

For me, I just feel the group is missing 'something' that has zero to do with the players on the park as individuals but everything to do with the way they interact and play together. What's wrong? Stuffed if I know...

Summed it up beautifully - we have too many good players to perform as badly as we did this season. Given we lost games by small margins, the remedy to correct is not a wholesale reconstruction of the game plan, but a tweak in attitude and commitment.

hujsh
18-10-2023, 12:27 AM
It's hard to rate because Harmes and Coffield are marginal changes (lots of credit for gaining points while bringing the latter in though) so it all depends on what happens on draft night (nights?). Who we get at 6, what points we have left after Croft, whether we get Lual and the circumstances around that, whether we manage to trade up into an earlier part of the draft somehow. Still a lot of variables that will inform the success of the trade period.

ledge
18-10-2023, 12:32 AM
So far we have hit all our targets , Harmes, Coffield, higher pick and more picks to cover Croft.
It’s a pass mark at the minute , we would have to make a huge stuff up to wreck it , we won’t know though for a couple of years when we see how Croft and our high pick perform .

bulldogtragic
18-10-2023, 06:08 PM

Done:

Harmes for a F3 (ours)
Sweet for Pick 50

Trades In:

Harmes (F3 tied to Dogs)
Coffield (Effectively free)
Lots of draft points

Trade Out:

Sweet - Pick 50

I?d suggest this is us.

Harmes will cost around maybe Pick 50 (Sweet got us Pick 50) = Harmes for Sweet
Coffield for free

So far:

Croft for Bruce
Coffield for TOB
Harmes for McLean
Pick 6 Kid for Hannan
Lual (?) for Sweet

New deals for Naughton, Duryea & Khamis.

Sedat
18-10-2023, 06:11 PM
So far:

Croft for Bruce
Coffield for TOB
Harmes for McLean
Pick 6 Kid for Hannan
Lual (?) for Sweet
If we're being brutally honest, none of the outgoings made a lick of difference to our senior team this season. We have literally lost nothing in terms of on-field impact.

bulldogtragic
18-10-2023, 06:14 PM
If we're being brutally honest, none of the outgoings made a lick of difference to our senior team this season. We have literally lost nothing in terms of on-field impact.

Absolutely. The ins are notionally better, just not drastically better at this stage to say. If we can get Watson/Sanders, Croft & Lual it’s an investment in the medium term rather than short term. If Harmes & Coffield can surprise then that’s a plus.

bornadog
18-10-2023, 08:28 PM
Jon Ralph @RalphyHeraldSun

Dogs will feel like they have had a very solid trade period. Signed up AstroNaut, got pick 4, got in Harmes-Coffield for depth, have the points for father-son Jordan Croft. Lose Sweet and a future first but still good business. Now to get Sam Darcy fit...

bulldogtragic
19-10-2023, 08:51 AM
Sam Landsberger: 8/10

IN: James Harmes (Melbourne), Nick Coffield (St Kilda)

OUT: Jordon Sweet (Port Adelaide)

PICKS: 5, 48, 52, 53, 56, 69, 72, 75

The Bulldogs’ 2026 backbone should be filled exclusively with first-round picks –Tim English (207cm), Sam Darcy (205cm), Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (197cm), Aaron Naughton (195cm), Jedd Busslinger (196cm) and Jordan Croft (200cm). Has the AFL ever seen a spine saturated with so much elite talent? Dogs list boss Sam Power declared there would be room for all of them in the same side due to their differing attributes, and the baton change will be well-timed if Darcy, Croft and Busslinger emerge as Liam Jones, Alex Keath and Rory Lobb wind down. The Dogs were delighted to add a defensive midfielder in Harmes and a versatile defender in Coffield, who placed fifth in St Kilda’s 2020 best-and-fairest before he was ambushed by injury. The trade of picks with Gold Coast will turn tangible when the Dogs deliver a one-two draft punch – bringing in potentially Nick Watson at No.5 and matching a father-son bid on Croft in the first round. Does English require an understudy to substitute for Sweet? Premiership ruckman Scott Lycett is pondering whether to retire or play on as that stop-gap solution.

ledge
19-10-2023, 10:03 AM
Essendon win the trade period .. 20 years in a row now with not one finals win in that time.
Incredible effort by Dodoro.
Does that mean the development at bombers is atrocious ?
The media are really giving back handed compliments to that club.

JanLorMill
19-10-2023, 10:47 AM
My concern is every year Gold Coast picks and players seems to go for unders. Not this year for us. I hope pick 5 and Croft are stars.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2023, 10:57 AM
My concern is every year Gold Coast picks and players seems to go for unders. Not this year for us. I hope pick 5 and Croft are stars.

I’ve said it last week, the end will justify the means. If Watson/Sanders & Croft turn into guns no one will think about this trade. On the other hand… so let’s hope the lads live up to their hype.

hujsh
19-10-2023, 10:58 AM
Interesting we have an offer in front of Lycett. Still lean towards him being a good one year backup in case English gets injured (concussed) and Lobb is proving to be valuable up forward and we want to leave him there. Add a rookie with a year to learn in the AFL environment and no pressure to debut before being ready and there's something resembling a plan in place

bulldogtragic
19-10-2023, 11:03 AM
Interesting we have an offer in front of Lycett. Still lean towards him being a good one year backup in case English gets injured (concussed) and Lobb is proving to be valuable up forward and we want to leave him there. Add a rookie with a year to learn in the AFL environment and no pressure to debut before being ready and there's something resembling a plan in place

Main list/rookie list do you know?

Axe Man
19-10-2023, 11:16 AM

We do? How do you know that? If it's the Landsberger article above I think he's just spitballing about us potentially signing a backup ruck. Or has it been reported elsewhere?

ledge
19-10-2023, 11:16 AM

If we are planning on having Lycett one year to back up English , reading between the lines means we don’t think English is going anywhere at contracts end or we would be looking around for a player who would be around longer than a year .

GVGjr
19-10-2023, 11:18 AM

Lycetts manager nominated a couple of clubs but I don't think we were one of them.
Other media sources suggest St Kilda, Collingwood and Geelong as might being interested.

hujsh
19-10-2023, 11:40 AM
We do? How do you know that? If it's the Landsberger article above I think he's just spitballing about us potentially signing a backup ruck. Or has it been reported elsewhere?

That's just how I read the above article TBH

Axe Man
19-10-2023, 11:43 AM
That's just how I read the above article TBH

I think it might be the way he's written it but I'm just guessing. Couldn't blame Lycett for just retiring rather than relocating for potentially only 1 year to mostly play VFL.

Testekill
19-10-2023, 11:59 AM
I think we just need to wait and see how the draft plays out. If we get Sanders/Watson, Croft slides until the early teens and Lual is bid on after pick 40 then it's a big win.
Coffield & Harmes aren't sexy pick ups but they improve on the bottom 6 of our 22 big time. Pushing out Vandermeer and McNeil as regulars is an instant improvement. Pushing Scott to the sub role is also a positive as he can fill a lot of roles but doesn't impact enough over an entire game.

G-Mo77
19-10-2023, 12:36 PM
I'm just seeing all the results. The first round trade is the one I can't get past, I don't expect us to contend so think that will be reasonably high. It's a gamble and hopefully this doesn't destroy us for 2025 and beyond.

Harmes I'm lukewarm on it's an older player on the decline and we've given him 3 years. He can fill some needs if fit so I'm not thinking it's a bad move. He did come cheap, the list spot however could be costly.

Coffield was a virtual freebie. We did well there, I thought we'd get taken for a higher pick. Good get.

Sweet for 50 I think we did well out of. We've wasted years of development but we're not playing him so cannot expect much. Pick 50 was a good return.

Anyway that's my 2 cents if anyone cares.

jeemak
19-10-2023, 01:34 PM
I think it might be the way he's written it but I'm just guessing. Couldn't blame Lycett for just retiring rather than relocating for potentially only 1 year to mostly play VFL.

I reckon he'd move for a $300K to $400K job.

Axe Man
19-10-2023, 01:43 PM
I reckon he'd move for a $300K to $400K job.

We would be crazy to pay someone that much to only play if Tim gets injured. Might as well just get Cole Trickle, I mean Brian Treacle, I mean Brynn Teakle on minimum wage.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2023, 01:55 PM
We would be crazy to pay someone that much to only play if Tim gets injured. Might as well just get Cole Trickle, I mean Brian Treacle, I mean Brynn Teakle on minimum wage.

You had at me at Cole Trickle and then lost me.

I’m dropping the hammer!

EasternWest
19-10-2023, 05:01 PM
I'm just seeing all the results. The first round trade is the one I can't get past, I don't expect us to contend so think that will be reasonably high. It's a gamble and hopefully this doesn't destroy us for 2025 and beyond.

Harmes I'm lukewarm on it's an older player on the decline and we've given him 3 years. He can fill some needs if fit so I'm not thinking it's a bad move. He did come cheap, the list spot however could be costly.

Coffield was a virtual freebie. We did well there, I thought we'd get taken for a higher pick. Good get.

Sweet for 50 I think we did well out of. We've wasted years of development but we're not playing him so cannot expect much. Pick 50 was a good return.

I care homeboy. Good comments, I like it.

Grantysghost
19-10-2023, 05:28 PM

The future first, I'm probably JD's broken record by now but if you think of it as Croft, then it's not as hard to take.

Future First for Croft
10 and 17 for pick 4.

Then a shuffle of stuff for points after that.

Croft may well be a top 10 pick.

Harmes : I'm warming. Slightly. From cold to tepid.
Coffield : Great business love it, gone from warm to very warm on him after the interview today.
Sweet : Guess I bow to the consensus that 50 is best we could ask for. I don't really get why rucks are so cheap though.

It's a pretty good period for us.

azabob
20-10-2023, 08:45 AM
Lock the thread old mate Damien Barrett has rated it a fail....

IF ...
key backs have been a problem for a few seasons already ...

THEN ...
nothing from the 2023 player exchange will lead to change in that space in 2024.

mjp
20-10-2023, 12:15 PM

IF ...

THEN ...
nothing from the 2023 player exchange will lead to change in that space in 2024.

He's not wrong.

chef
20-10-2023, 12:57 PM
He's not wrong.

I guess we do have Buss and and JOD(and i guess Crofty) coming through. Its not like we arent in the process of fixing it.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-10-2023, 01:06 PM
I guess we do have Buss and and JOD(and i guess Crofty) coming through. Its not like we arent in the process of fixing it.

But will those guys make a difference in 2024 I suppose is the question.

Croft certainly won't. Buss and JOD are 2nd year players one of which missed a huge chunk of their 1st year with an injury and the other was a speculative rookie pick.

We're certainly trying to address the area in the not too distant future but for next season its still shaky which isn't ideal for a club that's committing itself to a top 4 finish.

We're relying on guys like Buss, JOD and Coffield to stand-up.

chef
20-10-2023, 01:13 PM
But will those guys make a difference in 2024 I suppose is the question.

Croft certainly won't. Buss and JOD are 2nd year players one of which missed a huge chunk of their 1st year with an injury and the other was a speculative rookie pick.

We're certainly trying to address the area in the not too distant future but for next season its still shaky which isn't ideal for a club that's committing itself to a top 4 finish.

We're relying on guys like Buss, JOD and Coffield to stand-up.

Who would you have brought in and what would it have cost us?

The market for KPD is/was dry imo and i don't think it was ever an option for us. Rather get games into Buss and JOD rather than go down the used spud route.

G-Mo77
20-10-2023, 01:26 PM

IF ...

THEN ...

I'm honestly not that concerned about defence so not sure why he brings that up. JOD, Bus, Darcy all have backline experience. Jones is still a stud and Keath will fill in the gaps. Gardner? Who knows?

It could really go either way. These are not out of the realm of possibility; if Coffield stays injured, if Harmes continues to decline, or worst of all if we flat out suck we have failed this trade period. Lot of ifs but all possibilities. I think we've gambled to hard on next season and have higher expectations of within than I'm comfortable with. The F1 is the breaker in all of it. Where that falls is the issue. We need to be very good in 2024!

bulldogsthru&thru
20-10-2023, 02:07 PM
Who would you have brought in and what would it have cost us?

The market for KPD is/was dry imo and i don't think it was ever an option for us. Rather get games into Buss and JOD rather than go down the used spud route.

Oh I'm not saying we COULD have done much to address it this off-season. I think we were too complacent the 2 or 3 years prior that is hurting us now.

Ultimately our backline for 2024 is simply less than ideal for a side targeting a top 4 finish. It's the way it is.

chef
20-10-2023, 02:25 PM
Oh I'm not saying we COULD have done much to address it this off-season. I think we were too complacent the 2 or 3 years prior that is hurting us now.

Ultimately our backline for 2024 is simply less than ideal for a side targeting a top 4 finish. It's the way it is.

I guess we did bring in a long term KPD a few season back but then he turned into a gun forward over night.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-10-2023, 03:34 PM
To misquote Frank Zappa,
Questions, questions, questions flooding into the minds of the concerned Bulldog followers...
but says Frank, isn't it great to be alive.

FrediKanoute
20-10-2023, 11:59 PM
Yes the backline has been a problem, but Jones down back will hopefully hold it together. But for an errant kick in danger he could well have won our B&F! Yes he may decline, but I think we will get another solid year out of him.

JOD - yes he is a rookie and a kid, but again if he builds on last year he will be much improved. He is a good player!

Keath - will probably start the season in the backline, but if all goes well wont be there come the end of the season

Gardner - may start the season, but I think will increasingly become a back up

Buzz - who knows. Hopefully the kid will come good. I hope that he replaces Keath bu seasons end.

azabob
21-10-2023, 09:12 AM
Mr.Mongrel Punt liked what we did… even if we did let Street leave…

WESTERN BULLDOGS

IN – JAMES HARMES, NICK COFFIELD

OUT – JORDON SWEET

DRAFT PICKS – 5, 48, 50, 52, 53, 56, 69, 72, 75, 90

GRADE – B-

I like what the Dogs have done here. Harmes brings some much-needed toughness, whilst Coffield was becoming something very good at St Kilda before his ACL injury and the subsequent setbacks.

They’ve still got a high pick they’ll use before a bid comes on Matthew Croft’s boy, Jordan, and that bid will be covered by the plethora of picks they have in reserve.

Nice work by the Dogs, but I do worry about their ruck options if Big Tim falls over after allowing Street to leave.

bulldogtragic
21-10-2023, 09:17 AM
I said we’ve let Street go to early. What’s next? Sydney offering Rawlings a 10 year deal?

hujsh
21-10-2023, 10:36 AM
Street is so big it's surely just a matter of time before he's the best ruck in the comp

bulldogtragic
21-10-2023, 10:44 AM
Street is so big it's surely just a matter of time before he's the best ruck in the comp

I used to work with a VFL ruckman and he said Street was the easiest guy to play on in the VFL. He said despite his height and he was mobile for the VFL, he said all you needed to do was bash into him all day and he just couldn’t compete in the contest despite about 15cm reach and being AFEL fit. He was interesting to talk to about ruck work. But bash and crash can bring a lot of more fancied rucks back to earth if you’ve got the physical strength and hardness to do it all game he maintained. He didn’t need to beat every opponent, but if he could nullify them then that would take away a strength of the oppo and then it was up to the mids.

G-Mo77
21-10-2023, 11:29 AM
Mr.Mongrel Punt liked what we did… even if we did let Street leave…

WESTERN BULLDOGS

IN – JAMES HARMES, NICK COFFIELD

OUT – JORDON SWEET

DRAFT PICKS – 5, 48, 50, 52, 53, 56, 69, 72, 75, 90

GRADE – B-

I like what the Dogs have done here. Harmes brings some much-needed toughness, whilst Coffield was becoming something very good at St Kilda before his ACL injury and the subsequent setbacks.

They’ve still got a high pick they’ll use before a bid comes on Matthew Croft’s boy, Jordan, and that bid will be covered by the plethora of picks they have in reserve.

Nice work by the Dogs, but I do worry about their ruck options if Big Tim falls over after allowing Street to leave.

Nice of HBM to give us a plug.

However he lost me at giving the Bombres a B. Those guys deserve an A+ and everyone knows that especially Dorodo.

I love how he goes hard on Geelong being a Hawks man that would have felt good for him.

kruder
21-10-2023, 11:34 AM
Yeah one of the best parts of the trade period was the fact that not one player requested to be traded to Geelong. Hopefully the tide is starting to turn...

mjp
21-10-2023, 02:22 PM
Yeah one of the best parts of the trade period was the fact that not one player requested to be traded to Geelong. Hopefully the tide is starting to turn...

Doesn't this mean Geelong hadn't targeted anyone this trade period?

I think their strategy is to identify their target 18-months out and approach their manager directly. Lay the cards on the table...then wait. They had a clear strategy with Cameron and even going back to Dangerfield...it is interesting that they have been involved in the only 2 'matched' restricted agent contracts hav e involved the Cats...and in both cases (those two already mentioned) they traded for the player anyway)...

jeemak
21-10-2023, 02:30 PM
I guess we did bring in a long term KPD a few season back but then he turned into a gun forward over night.

He's locked in on a contract nobody will touch, so maybe we force him to play back!

jeemak
21-10-2023, 02:34 PM
I used to work with a VFL ruckman and he said Street was the easiest guy to play on in the VFL. He said despite his height and he was mobile for the VFL, he said all you needed to do was bash into him all day and he just couldn’t compete in the contest despite about 15cm reach and being AFEL fit. He was interesting to talk to about ruck work. But bash and crash can bring a lot of more fancied rucks back to earth if you’ve got the physical strength and hardness to do it all game he maintained. He didn’t need to beat every opponent, but if he could nullify them then that would take away a strength of the oppo and then it was up to the mids.

How many senior AFL games did this guy get to compete with Peter's 78?

bulldogtragic
21-10-2023, 04:47 PM
How many senior AFL games did this guy get to compete with Peter's 78?

He was a VFL ruckman, I think perhaps a former rookie. From memory he rated Skipper very highly on the flip side of tougher opponents.

kruder
21-10-2023, 08:36 PM
Doesn't this mean Geelong hadn't targeted anyone this trade period?

I think their strategy is to identify their target 18-months out and approach their manager directly. Lay the cards on the table...then wait. They had a clear strategy with Cameron and even going back to Dangerfield...it is interesting that they have been involved in the only 2 'matched' restricted agent contracts hav e involved the Cats...and in both cases (those two already mentioned) they traded for the player anyway)...

Its a comment more out of hope MJP, the cats have been the best over the last 30 years and have it over our club. I'm hoping the tide is turning with their list and if it does go south for a few years hopefully sleepy hollow isn't quite the mecca it has been for players on the move.