PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Western Bulldogs- James Harmes

whythelongface
10-10-2023, 05:20 PM
Trade done and dusted. Whatever we may think of this trade he is one of ours now so let?s wish him lots of success.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2023, 05:22 PM
Welcome. Now teach us the words from Freed From Desire and why that was such an important thing to do. I’m sure it’s a killer story.

Sorry. I ain’t sorry.

GVGjr
10-10-2023, 05:23 PM
Code Sports (https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/trade-hq/afl-trade-2023-all-the-news-and-whispers-from-day-2-of-the-trade-period/news-story/204cd63c0abf14f7b6f7f40706d90ad9)

JAMES HARMES TRADED TO DOGS

https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/e810319f776752dfb74a5788166d5887

James Harmes has had his wish come true after the Western Bulldogs and Melbourne agreed to a deal for the midfielder just hours after an official request was made.

The Bulldogs have parted with a future third-round draft pick on to secure Harmes, who had one year remaining on a contract at the Demons but was encouraged to explore his options during a post-season exit meeting.

Harmes officially nominated Whitten Oval as his new home of choice on Tuesday afternoon, with paperwork lodged on the deal just a few hours later.

The 28-year-old featured in only nine AFL matches this season and started as a substitute in three of those.

Harmes – who has played 152 AFL games – looks set to add some hardness and accountability to the Bulldogs midfield after the club lost Josh Dunkley to the Brisbane Lions during last year’s trade period.

“James comes to us with plenty of experience,” Western Bulldogs list manager Sam Power said.

“His defensive mindset and ability to cover the ground will add to our midfield group, while he also has the versatility to play in a variety of roles.”

Harmes had said at the TAB Spring Fling event last week that it had been a “pretty tough year” and expressed a desire for a “fresh start”.

“I probably didn’t play the footy I wanted to play and that’s why I was back in the VFL,” Harmes said.

“I’m just really looking forward to putting my best foot forward next year, whether that’s at Melbourne or where that is, playing the best football I can.

“I’ve got a real determination to go back as fit as I can and play some really good footy, wherever that is.”

Harmes enjoyed a career-best season in 2021, playing 18 games and featuring in Melbourne’s premiership side.He was originally picked up by the Demons in the 2014 rookie draft.

Mantis
10-10-2023, 05:25 PM
I'm ok with this move... our midfield group has been full of downhill skiers for too long and it's cost us games so adding someone to the mix who has a defensive mindset isn't a bad thing.

Hopefully he does and he says (presents super fit) and adds to the competition for spots.

GVGjr
10-10-2023, 05:25 PM
Harmes will most likely play on a wing but could a left field suggestion be that Harmes could become our back pocket?

hujsh
10-10-2023, 05:28 PM
Harmes will most likely play on a wing but could a left field suggestion be that Harmes could become our back pocket?

I was wondering that myself. On paper a lot of the right attributes but it takes more than just pace to know how to beat the likes of Cameron.

Scraggers
10-10-2023, 05:29 PM
I think he is a step up from McComb, McNeill and Scott. So it’s a step in the right direction. Whether he has the wheels (still) to play midfield, time will tell.

G-Mo77
10-10-2023, 05:35 PM
I think he is a step up from McComb, McNeill and Scott. So it’s a step in the right direction. Whether he has the wheels (still) to play midfield, time will tell.

Let's be honest, lots would be a step up feom those guys.

I'm ok with this move. 4 years is a bit of a concern though.

josie
10-10-2023, 05:39 PM
4 years? What is happening to our club?

Welcome Harmes, hope you fly the flag well for us, look forward to your debut with us.

Bulldog4life
10-10-2023, 05:50 PM

Where did you read that G-Mo?

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 06:15 PM
Are we forgetting any allegations of Bali indiscretions now?

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 06:16 PM

4 years if that's true I might seriously have a meltdown instead of the fake one I've been enjoying.

hujsh
10-10-2023, 06:22 PM
4 years if that's true I might seriously have a meltdown instead of the fake one I've been enjoying.

Haven't see 4 anywhere. 3 years and a trigger for a 4th. Coin would have to be a bit low to buy the security of an extra year

GVGjr
10-10-2023, 06:22 PM
I'm really interested in how we might best utilise Harmes in our line-up. I get he's an upgrade on some of the more marginally talented players we've had on the list but finding out why we were keen to bring him in is what I'm hoping to hear about.

GVGjr
10-10-2023, 06:26 PM
Haven't see 4 anywhere. 3 years and a trigger for a 4th. Coin would have to be a bit low to buy the security of an extra year

Is that one from the Trade Preacher or has it been mentioned elsewhere?

It's a huge deal if true.

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 06:27 PM
I'm really interested in how we might best utilise Harmes in our line-up. I get he's an upgrade on some of the more marginally talented players we've had on the list but finding out why we were keen to bring him in is what I'm hoping to hear about.

Footscray need a tough defensive tough guy with tatts and toughness and defensive muscles?

Bulldog4life
10-10-2023, 06:28 PM
Melbourne on Tuesday traded James Harmes to the Western Bulldogs on a three-year deal, picking up a future third-round selection (tied to the Dogs) in exchange. – Callum Twomey

Bulldog4life
10-10-2023, 06:29 PM
Footscray need a tough defensive tough guy with tatts and toughness and defensive muscles?

You need a spanking.

DOG GOD
Melbourne on Tuesday traded James Harmes to the Western Bulldogs on a three-year deal, picking up a future third-round selection (tied to the Dogs) in exchange. – Callum Twomey

Well I guess we lost Hannan so just replaced him with Harmes.

angelopetraglia
"James Harmes has signed a three-year deal with the Western Bulldogs through to the end of 2026. Had one year remaining with Melbourne."

Callum Twomey

hujsh
10-10-2023, 06:33 PM
Is that one from the Trade Preacher or has it been mentioned elsewhere?

It's a huge deal if true.

Just a rumor. The rational is he's meant to be on 500k with his current contract and has agreed to spread some of that over a couple years. So instead of (purely making these numbers up as an example) 500k+300 it becomes 350+350+350.

Again all rumor and the numbers I just used as an example are completely made up aside from the 500k

hujsh
10-10-2023, 06:34 PM
"James Harmes has signed a three-year deal with the Western Bulldogs through to the end of 2026. Had one year remaining with Melbourne."

Callum Twomey

Hey look at that 3 was right

Sedat
10-10-2023, 06:34 PM

Callum Twomey
Harmes for 3 years (at 28yo but with a proven history of being an AFL quality player) is a better list management decision than VDM for 3 years (who has never proven to be an AFL quality player, nor who has proven to be durable).

Happy to die on that hill.

GVGjr
10-10-2023, 06:38 PM

You know if his remaining deal with Melbourne was 1 year at 500K and we brought him in for 2 years at 600 or 700k ie it averaged out at 350k I'd be thinking we have done well but 3 years is a bit harder to understand the logic behind it.

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 06:39 PM
You need a spanking.

Hehe. Gold.

I've still got about 30 Harmes hatred posts left so bear with me B4L ;)

LostDog
10-10-2023, 06:42 PM
An escalator better than that 3 some

Scorlibo
10-10-2023, 06:57 PM

Three potential roles I can see:

Mid-forward rotating into the centre bounces, similar to his role at Melbourne in years gone by.

Tagger/defensive midfielder when required, otherwise playing half-forward.

Wing, putting pressure on the likes of Williams to hold his spot.

The only way to understand the Harmes and Pick 4 trades is that we think we're a red hot chance at the flag next year. We've bought the narrative on having underperformed with a great list. But is the list as strong next year as it looked at the start of 2023? I don't think so.

GVGjr
10-10-2023, 07:04 PM

Mid-forward rotating into the centre bounces, similar to his role at Melbourne in years gone by.

The only way to understand the Harmes and Pick 4 trades is that we think we're a red hot chance at the flag next year. We've bought the narrative on having underperformed with a great list. But is the list as strong next year as it looked at the start of 2023? I don't think so.

You've called this right, we can assume Harmes gives us a few options.
Regarding the bigger strategy of the moves and links so far I suspect the club does see itself as being a genuine contender and certainly some of the commentary from the club supports the actions we have been taking.

G-Mo77
10-10-2023, 07:14 PM

Yep, 3+1 I read earlier today. We'll find out the nuts and bolts of it soon enough.

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 07:16 PM

Yes, that's my concern the gap I see between where the club thinks they are and I think we are.

I can't find any reason to think we are a top 4 side. Any reasonable metric says otherwise.

I personally think Harmes is cooked so I'm not a fan of this move. However I hope to be pleasantly proven wrong.

DOG GOD
10-10-2023, 07:22 PM
Yes, that's my concern the gap I see between where the club thinks they are and I think we are.

I can't find any reason to think we are a top 4 side. Any reasonable metric says otherwise.

I personally think Harmes is cooked so I'm not a fan of this move. However I hope to be pleasantly proven wrong.

If Bevo and team think we are a genuine top 4 side, then they all need to be committed. We are NOWHERE near the top teams. Bont blew the competition away and English was AA and still couldn’t make the 8. We have issues on and off the field, and I don’t see anything changing, other than going in a downward spiral.
I think the final nail for me will be the announcements of the asst coaches, and using pick 4(5) on a fwd pocket who can’t play anywhere else. This is all I’ll say on the matter. I’ll probably comment again once the trade/draft is over.

bornadog
11-10-2023, 03:17 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F8IJaIWbAAEkNFH?format=jpg&name=medium

Rocket Science
11-10-2023, 03:21 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F8IJaIWbAAEkNFH?format=jpg&name=medium

https://i.ibb.co/WGjKBFB/FThk1bda-AAYc-LMt-copy-2.jpg (https://ibb.co/Jmgkr2r)

bulldogsthru&thru
11-10-2023, 03:26 PM
Time to get behind him!

Eastdog
11-10-2023, 03:43 PM
Welcome to the Dogs James. Could be a good pick up to assist our midfield. The defensive attributes are certainly what we need in there and if we can get him on the park for a sustained period this could work out.

Rocket Science
11-10-2023, 03:46 PM
Time to get behind him!

Okay you first.

https://i.ibb.co/PD31Rc0/Screen-Shot-2023-10-11-at-2-41-04-pm.png (https://ibb.co/XYNF97M)

hujsh
11-10-2023, 03:46 PM
Time to get behind him!

I'm trying. I think he has to play first

bulldogsthru&thru
11-10-2023, 03:56 PM
Okay you first.

https://i.ibb.co/PD31Rc0/Screen-Shot-2023-10-11-at-2-41-04-pm.png (https://ibb.co/XYNF97M)

arthurfist.jpg

josie
11-10-2023, 04:01 PM
Okay you first.

It’s fun to stay at the YMCA…..

Happy Days
11-10-2023, 04:07 PM
Okay you first.

What’s the guy on the left’s tank like?

Grantysghost
11-10-2023, 04:37 PM
Okay you first.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7TKDK6NaugAhCxpe/giphy.gif

Sedat
11-10-2023, 04:38 PM
Worst Chippendales tribute act ever

EasternWest
11-10-2023, 09:22 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/f8ijaiwbaaeknfh?format=jpg&name=medium

tihi

Testekill
11-10-2023, 09:23 PM
We've needed someone that has a bit of grunt and can tag, if Harmes can stop someone like Newcombe having a monster game against us then we're at least a 3 win better team.

jazzadogs
11-10-2023, 09:31 PM
What?s the guy on the left?s tank like?

I wanna know about his pressure acts.

jazzadogs
11-10-2023, 09:31 PM
We've needed someone that has a bit of grunt and can tag, if Harmes can stop someone like Newcombe having a monster game against us then we're at least a 3 win better team.

Would that be the first time in Bevos 8 years we have employed a genuine tag?

jazzadogs
11-10-2023, 09:33 PM
I just can't get over the fact he looks and acts like every w**ker I've ever played footy with.

I do hope he contributes positively on field. But I don't see it. And yes, I may be blinded by the above statement.

KT31
11-10-2023, 09:36 PM
Would that be the first time in Bevos 8 years we have employed a genuine tag?

Picked him up as a tagger or a back up ruckman, who knows with Bevo.:D:D

Grantysghost
11-10-2023, 09:47 PM
I just can't get over the fact he looks and acts like every w**ker I've ever played footy with.

I do hope he contributes positively on field. But I don't see it. And yes, I may be blinded by the above statement.

Spot on. Reeks massive wanker and Bali offender. Not someone I want anywhere near my team. But...BAD says yes so you know lets go with it....

Grantysghost
11-10-2023, 09:49 PM

Pressure on his mirror and selfie camera world record pace.

ratsmac
11-10-2023, 09:56 PM
Welcome to the kennel James.

Now that said, I been speaking to a Dees supporting mate of mine who said straight away that we've paid too much. He went on and said he's never been any good, and at least Baker has pace, harmes runs in quicksand.

I can't remember ever being concerned about Harmes as an opposition player. I'm still miffed at why we have recruited him. Happy to be proven wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

GVGjr
11-10-2023, 10:13 PM
I wonder how a player can rack up a 150 games and 'never been any good'
Sure his best footy might be behind him but I don't think some Melbourne supporters are being fair if they say that.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-10-2023, 10:16 PM
I wonder how a player can rack up a 150 games and 'never been any good'
Sure his best footy might be behind him but I don't think some Melbourne supporters are being fair if they say that.

A lot of supporters will say a player is no good once they leave to another club.

Time will tell! He doesn't have to be a world beater. Just needs to make us better as a whole.

GVGjr
11-10-2023, 10:26 PM
A lot of supporters will say a player is no good once they leave to another club.

Time will tell! He doesn't have to be a world beater. Just needs to make us better as a whole.

See that part I get but why did he play 150 games for them if he was never any good? :)

jazzadogs
11-10-2023, 10:39 PM
Hayden Crozier - DELIST, HE'S DONE! VFL PLAYER AT BEST NOW.
29yo, 142 games in total, 4 AFL games this year

James Harmes - GONNA MAKE US BETTER
28yo, 150 games, 9 AFL games this year including 3 as starting sub.

He might be a year younger, and I don't dispute they've both been solid to good players through their careers, but he's on the same path to irrelevance and delisting.

MrMahatma
11-10-2023, 10:50 PM
All the best James.

You’re a dog now. Hope you crush em.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2023, 10:54 PM

He might be a year younger, and I don't dispute they've both been solid to good players through their careers, but he's on the same path to irrelevance and delisting.

No. One will be delisted now. One had 3+1 and will retire. Huge difference!

EasternWest
11-10-2023, 11:52 PM

Can he ruck?

bornadog
11-10-2023, 11:56 PM
Can he ruck?

Anyone can - except English ;)

Stevo
12-10-2023, 12:37 AM
Im going to try and love him but hes got some work to do :)

hujsh
12-10-2023, 12:43 AM
Not the worst of these I've seen TBH. Helping to turn him into a person instead of a Melbourne head to be punched

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/jQSmORBI40A

jazzadogs
12-10-2023, 12:53 AM
Not the worst of these I've seen TBH. Helping to turn him into a person instead of a Melbourne head to be punched

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/jQSmORBI40A

Surely his song after goals would be freed from desire?

jeemak
12-10-2023, 01:01 AM
Surely his song after goals would be freed from desire?

Don't stress, he'll become vanilla and unoriginal in our way soon enough.

EasternWest
12-10-2023, 01:21 AM
Anyone can - except English ;)

Finally you've accepted it.

The Underdog
12-10-2023, 07:21 AM
Im going to try and love him but hes got some work to do :)

Rory Lobb one year, Harmes the next. It?s like they have a list of my least favourite players.

Go_Dogs
12-10-2023, 08:33 AM
I was speaking to a Melbourne supporter yesterday who rates Harmes quite highly, however the challenge he had at Melbourne is not dissimilar to the one he?ll face at the Dogs for a midfield or high half forward role. There are some quality players in these positions.

Maybe Harmes means if Smith or Macrae aren?t doing as well as we?d hope we?ve got more readily available depth. Maybe he becomes a more defensively minded player in a wing or midfield role. Maybe we do see him as a defender (although based on the article, we?ve sold him as a high forward / mid).

I certainly agree that in the very least he?s an upgrade and more likely to have an impact when he plays than some we?ve delisted, so our list has improved. That is good.

ratsmac
12-10-2023, 08:36 AM

See that part I get but why did he play 150 games for them if he was never any good? :)

I know it sounds like sour grapes but my mate ain't that type of person. He calls it how he sees it. If he doesn't like a player it's not because they have a punch able face (otherwise he wouldn't follow Melbourne) or something he has legitimate reasons. Anyway there is no need for me to defend him, I'm just reporting what I heard from someone who follows them quite closely.

Couldn't have summed up the situation any better! I'm just hoping he can give us a couple years of solid service as some sort of role player

G-Mo77
12-10-2023, 12:03 PM

Oof!

Different players and all that but 3 years with a potential 4th on $500k per season should ring a few alarm bells for even the most half glass full supporters. Fingers crossed this works!

hujsh
12-10-2023, 12:04 PM
Oof!

Different players and all that but 3 years with a potential 4th on $500k per season should ring a few alarm bells for even the most half glass full supporters. Fingers crossed this works!

No chance. That was his salary at Melbourne. Worst case he's on 1 year at 500k. He'd be on much less now

G-Mo77
12-10-2023, 12:07 PM
No chance. That was his salary at Melbourne. Worst case he's on 1 year at 500k. He'd be on much less now

Hope so!

BornInDroopSt'54
15-10-2023, 01:42 PM
No harm in James, Bulldog now.

Hotdog60
06-02-2024, 07:51 AM
Ex-Dee on fresh start and why Dogs move was a surprise

James Harmes opens up to Josh Gabelich about the challenges he faced in 2023 and why he joined the Dogs

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/11/27/9a969f59-0fae-4bd3-b37a-0be9cf61be9b/TR271123MH045203816.jpg?width=1064&height=600

JAMES Harmes was nervous when he walked into the Whitten Oval for the first time in November. And for good reason. Games between Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs have been ferocious either side of the 2021 Grand Final in Perth. They don't like each other.

Harmes was usually in the middle of the animosity, trying to get under the skin of Tom Liberatore or distract Marcus Bontempelli. Those memories have faded but not been forgotten, much to the amusement of many inside the Bulldogs since the deal was done.

The 28-year-old remembers a particularly willing encounter in a game played behind closed doors at Marvel Stadium during the pandemic in 2021. He was tagging Liberatore and copped it from everyone. They came for him again a couple of months later at the MCG ? again in front of no one ? before Harmes played a role in ending the Demons' 57-year premiership drought later in the year in the west.

Now Harmes and Liberatore are teammates after the Victorian was traded to the Bulldogs in exchange for a future third-round pick during last October's Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period.

After playing 152 games across a decade at Melbourne, Harmes needed a fresh start at the end of last season. Last winter was a slog. He fell out of favour at the Demons and out of love with the game. But he has rediscovered the passion this summer, building towards a round one clash against the side he just left on March 17.

"It was funny coming here, I remember most games against the Doggies and there were always words said to each other. I've tagged 'Libba' a few times and gone back and forth a few times. I remember a game in 2021, there was no crowd at Marvel and it was just me and him head to head. It was on," Harmes told AFL.com.au on the Western Bulldogs' pre-season camp in Mooloolaba.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2021/09/25/296535a7-ac24-474f-a3d7-f523ac88e27e/RB8kXEIM.jpg?width=1064&height=600

"I've always had a lot of respect for 'Libba'. I'm glad we're on the same team now. He has been great since I got here. We just looked at each other and knew we've had some good rivalries in the past and smiled. But if I'm being honest, it was daunting coming in because I didn't know if the boys were going to like me. The first few weeks I was a bit standoffish, but it has become very normal quickly."

Harmes didn't think he would end up at the Western Bulldogs. Essendon came for him at the end of 2022, but with two years to run on his contract, Melbourne wouldn't let him go. Richmond also showed interest last year after former Demons midfield coach Adem Yze landed the gig at Punt Road.

But when Dogs list manager Sam Power and senior coach Luke Beveridge sat down with Harmes and his manager, Tim Hazell from Vivid Sport, last October, the move made sense for everyone. And it has made even more sense since Bailey Smith ruptured his ACL in December.

"I didn't think I'd be coming here. The Bulldogs would have been the last on the list, not because I didn't want to come here but because I didn't chat to the Dogs at all last year until the Trade Period started. It happened late," Harmes said.
"When they came to my manager, I was pretty surprised. Timmy rang me and told me the Dogs were super keen. When I sat down with Bevo and Sammy Power, it just felt right. The interview was only supposed to be an hour and we ended up spending more than two hours at Bevo's house.

"It felt like Bevo had a lot of confidence in me to play good footy again, which is probably what I lacked last year. I lost a lot of confidence and felt like the coaches didn't believe in me much even though I was playing good footy at VFL level."
Harmes knew he needed a change halfway through last year. After being a permanent fixture between 2016 and 2022, he played the first two games of 2023 before taking mental health leave. Things changed when he returned. He was squeezed out of the side, managing only seven more senior appearances ? three as the sub ? around 10 games for Casey in the VFL.

Footy had stopped being enjoyable and started being a grind. Turning up at the club each day was tough. By the end of the season, Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin did the right thing by him and told him to explore a fresh start to kickstart his career.

"It was a big grind for me to go into Melbourne every day. It was nothing to do with the boys or the coaches or the club, it was more about just me and where I was at in life. I'd been there for 10 years going into the same place. I think a fresh start was exactly what I needed," he explained.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/08/06/0584cfb4-0677-471c-b069-ecc5e1624b17/6ZgkYbi2.jpg?width=1064&height=600

"I had to have a little break from footy. I played the first two games, but I just wasn't enjoying myself. Even then it was a grind for me going in, even when I was in the ones. I just wasn't happy and felt like I needed some time away from the game. That really helped me and re-energised me. The Dees were really supportive, but I felt like when I came back I lost the trust of the coaches a little bit. I remember being the sub against Gold Coast and playing well and ended up getting COVID and form was good at VFL level, but got dropped again. Every time was a whack to the confidence.

"I really didn't enjoy my footy for six months. It was a grind for me to go in most days. By the end of the year, I needed to get out of there and they sensed that as well. 'Goody' and myself get along really well and he even said it is best for your footy to go and have a look around."
Harmes has invested a lot of time in his mental health since stepping away from the game last April. For a good-time guy from Devon Meadows, he wouldn't have been open to seeing a psychologist in the early stages of his career. That has changed. And the impact has been profound.

"It was a year of a lot of learning, not getting to that point where I needed some time away from footy. There are going to be more challenges in my career, so it is about dealing with them. I see a psych now and I'm not embarrassed about that, whereas I would have been embarrassed about that in the past. I definitely feel like my mental health is in a better place than in the past," he said.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/06/02/e7855d26-6cf8-4040-93e7-b5275b53f388/92yLfiYb.jpg?width=1064&height=600

"If I'm not in a good mental space, if I'm not happy it definitely affects the way I play, worrying about other things, my training habits and my life. It is just about staying on top of that, seeking help when needed. I feel like the stigma is not what it was 10 years ago. Everyone is going through something. I'm excited for this year because last year I wasn't in a good headspace and still found ways to perform, where this year I feel in a much better space."

Sometimes, change is as good as a holiday. Changing environments at this point in his career has reinvigorated Harmes.
"The first weeks are like going to a new school. The program is very similar in many ways, but seeing new faces and meeting new people and finding your spot in the group has freshened me up," he said.

"I was at the Dees from 18 and I was there for 10 years, it was all I knew. At the Dees I was pigeonholed to be the funny guy and carry on a bit, whereas here I have taken a step back and tried to slide in quietly. It has been good to learn new terminologies, new game styles and new gameplans."

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2024/02/01/7e69823e-3841-494a-a92a-42ca6bc3cce8/QLD-Camp-119.jpg?width=1064&height=600

Harmes has worked his way into his first pre-season at the Dogs. He was slow out of the blocks after contracting COVID-19 at his wedding just before day one, but since the start of January, Harmes has left his mark on the group.

He kicked four goals in hot, wet and humid conditions in the club's intraclub in Maroochydore last Thursday, showing the quality he can add to a stacked red, white and blue midfield that will also include pick No.6 Ryley Sanders.

"I will most likely play as an inside mid. That's where I've trained all pre-season," he said. "I'll spend a fair bit of time playing as that high half-forward as well, which I'm happy to do. I've done that my whole career. I haven't done any tagging this pre-season, but who is to say that I won't this season?"

Harmes will always be a Melbourne premiership player. He is still close with many former teammates, including captain Max Gawn, who nailed the MC duties at his wedding to American, Corey Taylor, in November. But now he has the jumpstart his career needed at the Western Bulldogs. Expect him to make the most of it.

LINK (https://www.afl.com.au/news/1074807/ex-melbourne-demon-james-harmes-on-fresh-start-and-why-western-bulldogs-move-was-a-surprise)

Mofra
06-02-2024, 08:15 AM
He married the Slipknot singer?

Grantysghost
06-02-2024, 08:28 AM
We don't judge here at woof. I mean it's no Phil Anselmo but live and let live.

Sounds like he has matured a lot, I'm warming.

I've gone from ice cold to tepid.

ledge
06-02-2024, 09:14 AM
I think he will add some of the hardness we need.

azabob
06-02-2024, 10:03 AM
We don't judge here at woof. I mean it's no Phil Anselmo but live and let live.

Sounds like he has matured a lot, I'm warming.

I've gone from ice cold to tepid.

:D You've done nothing but judge Harmes since the trade was discussed!

Each week he is edging his way into your heart; I'm really excited to see where you two end up at season's end.

EasternWest
06-02-2024, 10:12 AM
:D You've done nothing but judge Harmes since the trade was discussed!.

Narc

bornadog
06-02-2024, 10:21 AM
I am still open to how he will perform for us. Hopefully he does get back to playing some good footy

Mofra
06-02-2024, 10:48 AM
I was against trading for Harmes, and I am starting to feel I was wrong about this.

For a future 3rd he can play a proper role. Interesting he hasn't tagged this pre-season as he seems the ideal guy to stop the opposition distributer - I suspect in Round 1 he goes to Salem as their HB 'get-out' player and also rolls into the midfield as part of the second/third rotation.

GVGjr
06-02-2024, 10:56 AM
I was against trading for Harmes, and I am starting to feel I was wrong about this.

For a future 3rd he can play a proper role. Interesting he hasn't tagged this pre-season as he seems the ideal guy to stop the opposition distributer - I suspect in Round 1 he goes to Salem as their HB 'get-out' player and also rolls into the midfield as part of the second/third rotation.

I wouldn't read to much into the comments that he hasn't tagged in the preseason so far as it all gets ramped-up now. I would imagine he will go to some of the opposition best mids for just 5 or 10 minutes control periods in quarters.

Grantysghost
06-02-2024, 10:59 AM
:D You've done nothing but judge Harmes since the trade was discussed!

Each week he is edging his way into your heart; I'm really excited to see where you two end up at season's end.

Hahaaaaa! So true AB.

He might end up in McNeil territory? No surely not, he could scale the lofty heights of Tim Walsh.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-02-2024, 11:32 AM
For a team that wants to contend, and given our list profile / weaknesses, he made perfect sense to me.

If he can rediscover good form, he will be a very handy pick up.

SquirrelGrip
06-02-2024, 02:34 PM
He gives me Liam Picken vibes.

Rocket Science
06-02-2024, 03:27 PM
Harmes didn't think he would end up at the Western Bulldogs. Essendon came for him at the end of 2022, but with two years to run on his contract, Melbourne wouldn't let him go ...

Ah jeez ...

Axe Man
06-02-2024, 04:01 PM

It was a beautiful wedding.

https://i.postimg.cc/MGzBHkqJ/harmesslipknot.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Apologies for the lack of photo editing skills.

hujsh
06-02-2024, 04:27 PM
Apologies for the lack of photo editing skills.

That was edited? I can't even tell

FrediKanoute
07-02-2024, 12:46 AM
I think he will be a real surprise for us. He has the mature body we need. Looking forward to seeing how he goes

jeemak
07-02-2024, 02:23 AM
Imagine a player who left us giving that interview's candid commentary about the coach and his perceived treatment of them.

This place would be rockin'........

Imagine a player getting to be starting 22 or even in the team being excited about playing a bit in the midfield and a bit at half forward rolling up.

This place would be back in 2021...........

Due to a lack of selection pressure across the board (inability, injury etc.) the fringe of this list has gotten lazy, the antithesis of everything that made it special when it played well.

If the worst thing Harmes does for us is increase selection pressure then he's worth it.

Grantysghost
07-02-2024, 11:06 AM
Imagine a player who left us giving that interview's candid commentary about the coach and his perceived treatment of them.

This place would be rockin'........

Imagine a player getting to be starting 22 or even in the team being excited about playing a bit in the midfield and a bit at half forward rolling up.

This place would be back in 2021...........

Due to a lack of selection pressure across the board (inability, injury etc.) the fringe of this list has gotten lazy, the antithesis of everything that made it special when it played well.

If the worst thing Harmes does for us is increase selection pressure then he's worth it.

True dat.

Seriously I watched Cotton Geelong closely last year; secondary stoppage after centre bounce he rolled straight up. He WAS in the midfield!

He'd look good in the hoops.

Axe Man
07-02-2024, 11:14 AM
True dat.

Seriously I watched Cotton Geelong closely last year; secondary stoppage after centre bounce he rolled straight up. He WAS in the midfield!

He'd look good in the hoops.

It's so tiresome hearing the media continually pushing the he's been played out of position line when he has never played a significant amount of time as a centre bounce mid. His best footy in 2021 and early 2022 was mostly in the same 'out of position' position he played last year.

Grantysghost
07-02-2024, 11:53 AM
It's so tiresome hearing the media continually pushing the he's been played out of position line when he has never played a significant amount of time as a centre bounce mid. His best footy in 2021 and early 2022 was mostly in the same 'out of position' position he played last year.
I think he even mentioned it strangely.

Twodogs
07-02-2024, 02:00 PM
What's the tatt on Harmes' right arm just below the shoulder? The woman's head. Looks a bit like the Virgin Mary.

hujsh
07-02-2024, 02:06 PM
What's the tatt on Harmes' right arm just below the shoulder? The woman's head. Looks a bit like the Virgin Mary.

Can't believe he'd bring idolatry to my football club

Grantysghost
07-02-2024, 02:22 PM
Slipknot drummer.

EasternWest
07-02-2024, 04:56 PM
Can't believe he'd bring idolatry to my football club

https://i.postimg.cc/mg5xK6KZ/images-3.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Disapproves.

Twodogs
07-02-2024, 08:45 PM
Slipknot drummer.

Which one? They've had more drummers than Spinal Tap.

bulldogtragic
27-04-2024, 11:14 PM
What was the point of this?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-04-2024, 11:15 PM
It always seemed as if this was a spite trade...aimed particularly and personally at me.. a double down from my disdain on the Rory Lobb acquisition.

jazzadogs
27-04-2024, 11:40 PM
Ok google how do you delist a contracted player

bulldogtragic
27-04-2024, 11:40 PM
When can we delist

In 2.5 years….

The Bulldogs Bite
27-04-2024, 11:42 PM
I thought he could add value as a defensive mid.

What is his role with us?

Looks slow and a little unfit.

bulldogtragic
27-04-2024, 11:43 PM
I thought he could add value as a defensive mid.

What is his role with us?

Looks slow and a little unfit.

Exactly, all round. An older McNeil maybe.

Rocket Science
28-04-2024, 12:50 PM
Midway through the 3rd 'Nut' had racked up six touches and zero tackles with about 75% game time.

He finished the night with one freakin' tackle to his name.

Can someone smart talk me through what he brings other than shit tatts and a Hollywood smile?

G-Mo77
28-04-2024, 01:00 PM
Only 3 games into his Bulldogs career and I've seen enough, to be honest I'd had enough before he even played 1. Will someone else come in an relieve us of his duties until 2026? Of course not. We're stuck with him for a long time.

bornadog
28-04-2024, 01:51 PM
Only 3 games into his Bulldogs career and I've seen enough, to be honest I'd had enough before he even played 1. Will someone else come in a relieve us of his duties until 2026? Of course not. We're stuck with him for a long time.
Agree, there was a reason he didn’t play much footy for Melbourne last year.

Bullies
28-04-2024, 01:57 PM
Agree, there was a reason he didn’t play much footy for Melbourne last year. Pay him out and whoever gave him the deal goes as well. He was awful in the VFL last year so not how anyone can give him a 3 year contract at the top level on $400k per year by all accounts. Mind blowing.

Grantysghost
28-04-2024, 02:02 PM
Pay him out and whoever gave him the deal goes as well. He was awful in the VFL last year so not how anyone can give him a 3 year contract at the top level on $400k per year by all accounts. Mind blowing.
The three years probably got him across. Agree it's abysmal list management. He's been cooked for a while.

bornadog
28-04-2024, 02:18 PM
The three years probably got him across. Agree it's abysmal list management. He's been cooked for a while.
Please no more hasbeens from other clubs

Rocket Science
28-04-2024, 02:38 PM

Well, we're consistently unable to lure quality of any semblance so we've gotta recruit someone I suppose.

It's quite the collection of doorstops (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBNaPdtOPk&ab_channel=oug) we're amassing.

EasternWest
28-04-2024, 02:43 PM

What about never wases? Because I think Harmes slots more appropriately there.

This is yet another example of me being honey dicked by club propaganda pre season articles and warming to something that I should have listened to the alarm bells on all along .

Grantysghost
28-04-2024, 03:27 PM

I said this on another chat we are desperately trying to find a depth mixture that works for us. All clubs have players in roles that aren't stars.
I don't mind the intent you can only get what's available and i think many times we aren't the popular choice. We were after Schultz he chose the pies.

azabob
28-04-2024, 03:37 PM
I said this on another chat we are desperately trying to find a depth mixture that works for us. All clubs have players in roles that aren't stars.
I don't mind the intent you can only get what's available and i think many times we aren't the popular choice. We were after Schultz he chose the pies.

Interestingly Schultz is struggling at the pies.

Mofra
28-04-2024, 03:45 PM
What was the point of this?
If we're not using him defensively, I don't know.

Last night was the exact game & scenario he'd be used for and we.... didn't use him for it. If we wanted a mediocre wingman we already signed two for free last year.

jDogs
28-04-2024, 03:55 PM

I thought his signing was actually half decent because I thought they were addressing a clear need for us. I can't believe what these people are thinking or doing!

comrade
28-04-2024, 04:32 PM

Last night was the exact game & scenario he'd be used for and we.... didn't use him for it. If we wanted a mediocre wingman we already signed two for free last year.

Yeah, why you wouldn?t clamp him onto one of Serong or Brayshaw I have no idea.

Bullies
28-04-2024, 05:08 PM
Yeah, why you wouldn?t clamp him onto one of Serong or Brayshaw I have no idea. Makes no sense. We get a run with player and we don't tag. If we were ever going to tag last night at 1/4 time was it.

bulldogtragic
28-04-2024, 05:20 PM

It’s utterly confusing. If i recall correctly we were talking up his harder edge and defensive pressure and just said to him imitate McNeil’s last few years. Did the coaching box forget about this hard defensive edge?

Rocco Jones
28-04-2024, 05:41 PM
Yeah he is another I don't get what we are doing with.

I think we really set up our role guys to fail giving them such different roles when they go back to VFL.

Harmes has plenty of CBAs when in the VFL. If we aren't going to do that in AFL with lockdowns or whatever, play him in a wing/forward role primarily at VFL level.

Daniel doesn't look at option at HBF in AFL level yet it's where we have played him in VFL. I'd like him spend time forward in the VFL.

Garcia heaps of CBAs at VFL level and played forward in AFL. I'd like him to spend time fwd and wing as well as CBAs when he is inevitably black in the VFL.

Sanders atm probably a 25-30% CBA guy at AFL if he gets back in anytime soon. Give him some time elsewhere during in the VFL.

bulldogtragic
28-04-2024, 05:44 PM

I think we really set up our role guys to fail giving them such different roles when they go back to VFL.

Harmes has plenty of CBAs when in the VFL. If we aren't going to do that in AFL with lockdowns or whatever, play him in a wing/forward role primarily at VFL level.

Daniel doesn't look at option at HBF in AFL level yet it's where we have played him in VFL. I'd like him spend time forward in the VFL.

Garcia heaps of CBAs at VFL level and played forward in AFL. I'd like him to spend time fwd and wing as well as CBAs when he is inevitably black in the VFL.

Sanders atm probably a 25-30% CBA guy at AFL if he gets back in anytime soon. Give him some time elsewhere during in the VFL.

When you lay it out like that, what the **** are we doing?

Go_Dogs
28-04-2024, 06:31 PM

It seems VFL is more about getting a bunch of ball than learning a role within the system. For some players who need some confidence or to rediscover touch that might be appropriate but it’s a really good call that most aren’t getting exposure to what we want them to do at senior level.

I get that the game is vastly different in many ways, so maybe what we do is what every team does and it’s the way we have to do it, however it seems odd at face value.

lemmon
28-04-2024, 06:52 PM

Caleb and Garcia felt like coaching calls that lacked conviction.

Caleb apparently went back to VFL level to 're-train' as a half-back flanker after being shuffled around so often. Great, I'm here for that. But why don't we actually leave him there to do that?

You can't give him two games, then pick him as the travelling emergency (because he's the next-best player on the list), force him back in as sub then play him in that same utility role that apparently has been to his detriment.

On one hand we're saying, 'let's reset and get you back to some consistency', but that's thrown out the window when it's convenient. Take Poulter or Baker to Perth and pick Daniel when he's actually demanded it in the position we're asking him to play.

Garcia is clearly a high-standard inside mid and a bog ordinary small forward/half forward. We've seen it at Footscray and we've seen it in the ones. Why pick him unless we're actually going to give him some inside-mid time? We're shoving a square peg into a round hole and it's to the detriment of the player.

Libba is out, we're getting belted around the footy, surely Garcia can spend some time on the footy??

GVGjr
28-04-2024, 07:08 PM

Regarding Daniels, a return to the back line was a more recent decision, prior to that whenever he's been in the B side it's been as a midfielder. It appears to me that the logic behind the move is to potentially free up Richards to spend some more time in the midfield.
Sanders seems to be more of a 40% midfield CBA option when given a full game. If he's in the VFL he needs to focus more on the midfield and be played there.
Harmes is a spare parts player and we appear to have deviated away from how we might have originally planned to use him.

I do think we've used the VFL side this year to prepare players for where they might potentially be used at the senior level.

Bullies
28-04-2024, 07:33 PM
Regarding Daniels, a return to the back line was a more recent decision, prior to that whenever he's been in the B side it's been as a midfielder. It appears to me that the logic behind the move is to potentially free up Richards to spend some more time in the midfield.
Sanders seems to be more of a 40% midfield CBA option when given a full game. If he's in the VFL he needs to focus more on the midfield and be played there.
Harmes is a spare parts player and we appear to have deviated away from how we might have originally planned to use him.

I do think we've used the VFL side this year to prepare players for where they might potentially be used at the senior level. Not sure they do want Daniel down back. Understanding his piddly little kicks and his running around in circles slow the momentum where they prefer the team to run and gun. One of the reasons he is not in the team.

With Weightman out i wouldn't mind seeing him down forward as he has the smarts and not many of our other smalls do. His days of on ball are well and truly gone.

jazzadogs
28-04-2024, 09:01 PM
Yeah, why you wouldn?t clamp him onto one of Serong or Brayshaw I have no idea.

The even more bizarre thing is that in his post match, Bevo said that Caleb had been doing a defensive role on Serong. It was very effective because he only had 16 touches in the second half, down from 21.

Grantysghost
28-04-2024, 09:25 PM
The even more bizarre thing is that in his post match, Bevo said that Caleb had been doing a defensive role on Serong. It was very effective because he only had 16 touches in the second half, down from 21.

Bevo looks down upon you if you weren't aware of that most conspicuous of moves JD.

Caleb is a known tagger!

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExaG1oZno5em11ajE2NnM3MDdic3NjZGJrdHRiaGI4c WxuNnR6bzRkaSZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/VRJ3K4Qm0T13EvT8Zp/giphy.gif

jeemak
28-04-2024, 10:58 PM
Bevo said that Caleb at times curbed him, but at other times didn't.

Bullies
29-04-2024, 08:39 AM
Bevo said that Caleb at times curbed him, but at other times didn't. Bevo must have been watching a different game. No one was playing on Serong. Bevo would probably call that a hard tag.

Grantysghost
29-04-2024, 08:39 AM
Bevo said that Caleb at times curbed him, but at other times didn't.

He was hard to stop, throwing Caleb at the problem and the comments afterwards were bizarre i thought. "you may not have noticed".

Hey you've never played a stopper role before, i said last week publicly we are putting you at half back to get some consistency, so go stop their best mid please.

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExeHF1MzVtbjA4OGRoZXZyYnZ5bHJuMGE4MGx4M3V0b DhnemwzbmU0ZSZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/FY8c5SKwiNf1EtZKGs/giphy-downsized.gif

Mantis
29-04-2024, 09:12 AM
We've just set Harmes up to fail... we often do that with mids we stick on a HFF and expect them to be effective.

Either he gets CBA's & plays in a defensive role or he doesn't play.

Ozza
29-04-2024, 11:09 AM
We've just set Harmes up to fail... we often do that with mids we stick on a HFF and expect them to be effective.

Either he gets CBA's & plays in a defensive role or he doesn't play.

Spot on.
When we got Harmes I originally thought - 'ok - well it looks like we are trying to address the defensive side of the midfield- he might be able to help'.
The way he is being used will mean the end of him as a league footballer.
How Beveridge could think that sending Caleb to Serong - rather than sending Harmes to Fyfe or Serong - was the move, is yet another demonstration of why he shouldn't be our coach anymore.

angelopetraglia
12-05-2024, 01:26 PM
Harmes on the footy show https://x.com/FootyonNine/status/1789468837265461659

angelopetraglia
12-05-2024, 01:31 PM
The leading questions from both Lloyd and Kornes are bordering on disgraceful to a new player at the club. Asking questions to support their own beliefs rather than trying to understand anything new.

azabob
12-05-2024, 01:59 PM
The leading questions from both Lloyd and Kornes are bordering on disgraceful to a new player at the club. Asking questions to support their own beliefs rather than trying to understand anything new.

Absolutely f***king disrespectful.

Kudos to Harmes who answered both questions extremely well.

I do not say this lightly but the club should boycott channel 9, The Age, 3aw and SEN.

angelopetraglia
12-05-2024, 02:09 PM

I do not say this lightly but the club should boycott channel 9, The Age, 3aw and SEN.

I don't believe boycotts are the awnser, but their obession with Bevo is embarassing. Kane on his show on the AFL website. I didn't learn anything about the Dogs last night, it was all about how Richmond played. Agree that Richmond was poor, but he didn't give any kudos to the Dogs for bouncing back. His only compliment was to Sam Darcy who he said is a genrational talent.

The Dogs almost won by 100 points. Richmond beat Sydney six weeks ago. Richmond only lost to Carlton by 5 points eight weeks ago. They have a lot of injuries. But they were absolutely massacred last night. Some credit has to go to the team who beat them.

azabob
12-05-2024, 02:42 PM
I don't believe boycotts are the awnser, but their obession with Bevo is embarassing. Kane on his show on the AFL website. I didn't learn anything about the Dogs last night, it was all about how Richmond played. Agree that Richmond was poor, but he didn't give any kudos to the Dogs for bouncing back. His only compliment was to Sam Darcy who he said is a genrational talent.

The Dogs almost won by 100 points. Richmond beat Sydney six weeks ago. Richmond only lost to Carlton by 5 points eight weeks ago. They have a lot of injuries. But they were absolutely massacred last night. Some credit has to go to the team who beat them.

Disagree, why put our players in the firing line with comments like that? As you said we won by 90 odd points and half the interview was about our “top four list”

We have put up this bullshit treatment rightly or wrongly for a couple of years.

GVGjr
12-05-2024, 02:53 PM

Agree, you could probably boycott one of the networks but rather than boycott say SEN perhaps speak to RSN and have Lade doing a weekly breakfast segment with Harford and Egan on the ABC or MMM more. Have Bont or Treloar on with Dwayne rather the breakfast guys. There are ways we can control things a bit better and get a more positive message out. Let those idiots wallow in their own misery.
It's very easy to then say that on a lot of shows we are given a fair go and all the negative noise come from a select few.

ledge
12-05-2024, 05:56 PM
Cornes still found a way to put us down in a 91 point win.
Has showed him the Bevo v Hinkley video ?

EasternWest
12-05-2024, 06:51 PM

Anyone sensible boycotts those things anyway.

Scorlibo
12-05-2024, 07:35 PM

Anytime you get a margin like that, or even a margin of 60 points, you can't pin it on one team. It simply has to be the case that the winner played well and the loser played poorly. So Corn is a vegetable.

But that said, I don't think we've yet earned the right to be praised by anyone. Look at Bevo's press conference, he wasn't heaping praise on the players. We need to back up our big wins with some gritty ones.

jeemak
13-05-2024, 01:14 AM
These arseholes knew their mark and they got him with the first question, but not with the last.

The public and the more sensible media are turning their views around, Ch9 are sensationalists squeezing every last click out of things. 3-6 going into the next month would have been a complete shit show, 4-5 given the complexion of the competition isn't as far off as it might have seemed.

Shout out to Harmes for a great game on the weekend. It takes a while to come into a club and adjust to make an impact, people forget that.