PDA

View Full Version : Name the players

GVGjr
15-10-2023, 11:34 PM
After hearing that Gunston wants to return home to Hawthorn after 1 year away it got me thinking to see if it has ever happened to us. I can't recall it ever happening but there are 3 players who came to the Dogs and returned to their original club after 12 months with us.

Lets see if Twodogs or anyone else can remember these players :)

JanLorMill
15-10-2023, 11:46 PM
Robbie mcghie

ledge
15-10-2023, 11:47 PM
Montgomery did off the top of my head and Liam jones
That?s players who played with us but longer than a year

JanLorMill
15-10-2023, 11:47 PM
Montgomery

Grantysghost
16-10-2023, 12:05 AM
Coaches count?

Didn't Jed Adcock stay for a year and head back the Lions as a coach?

GVGjr
16-10-2023, 12:25 AM
Montgomery did off the top of my head and Liam jones
That?s players who played with us but longer than a year

Monty did return but he was away from us for more than 12 months
Wira returned to Freo after a few years with us.

GVGjr
16-10-2023, 12:26 AM
Coaches count?

Didn't Jed Adcock stay for a year and head back the Lions as a coach?

I haven't included coaches but a good suggestion

GVGjr
16-10-2023, 12:27 AM
All 3 players returned to their Victorian based teams

GVGjr
16-10-2023, 12:36 AM
Robbie mcghie

Bones left us for Richmond.
Remember they came to the Dogs for 1 year from other clubs before returning to the club we recruited them from much like what Jack Gunston is hoping to do

jazzadogs
16-10-2023, 01:05 AM
I saw this stat and i had no idea who any of the three named players were. So I'd say it's mid 90s or earlier. If that helps anyone.

Twodogs
16-10-2023, 02:32 AM
Gary Cowton came to us as part of the Dempsey trade then went back to North the next year.

Ken Newland transferred from Geelong in the mid 1970s stayed a year, played all but one game and promptly went back to Geelong.

I'll have to think about the other player but it'll come to me.

*Edit* #3 is Jon Bennett a full forward from St Kilda. Had the misfortune to start his league career around the time Tony Lockett started his
Played a couple of years at the Saints then came to us in 1984 even though we had Simon Beasley and played a few games (Malthouse got into the practice of removing Beasley from the team if it was wet and replacing him with Bennett) Bennett went back to St Kilda in 1985.

Bennett played in one of the most amazing matches I've seen us play. At western oval v Essendon in 1984 and it was wet and windy even for the western oval. Essendon held us goalless up until 3/4 time but then we found our groove and kicked 3 goals to hit the front but then Essendon kicked the last goal in time on to win the game by 2 points. Bennett kicked 2 of our grand total of 3 goals that day.

GVGjr
16-10-2023, 03:56 AM
Cowton was at the Dogs for two years playing 40 games for us but left us for South Melbourne for a year or two before eventually returning to North. Crazy Horse played 199 games for the 3 teams he played for.

You're bang on about Newland and Bennett though. Nice gets Twodogs and I knew you would be all over it but there is still one player to go.

I could give some hints but I'd probably give it away.

Grantysghost
16-10-2023, 08:44 AM
Two Dogs is next level Dogs mastermind.

Have to go on Hard Quiz!

GVGjr
16-10-2023, 09:43 AM
One of the Twitter followers has named the missing player to Twodogs terrific effort.

Neil Peart came to us from Richmond for one season in 1985 before returning to the Tigers in 1986.
Peart played 2 finals for us in 1985 and only played 9 games for us in that season.

GVGjr
16-10-2023, 09:55 AM
Twodogs might have some opposition in the Bulldogs Hard quiz, someone on Twitter has also named 2 of the 3.

Sedat
16-10-2023, 10:54 AM
Bennett played in one of the most amazing matches I've seen us play. At western oval v Essendon in 1984 and it was wet and windy even for the western oval. Essendon held us goalless up until 3/4 time but then we found our groove and kicked 3 goals to hit the front but then Essendon kicked the last goal in time on to win the game by 2 points. Bennett kicked 2 of our grand total of 3 goals that day.
From memory Peter Bradbury kicked the winning goal against a howling wind for the Bombers in the last qtr.

I'll never forget the half time score that day, both teams were level on 0.7.7 each

Grantysghost
16-10-2023, 11:05 AM
Twodogs might have some opposition in the Bulldogs Hard quiz, someone on Twitter has also named 2 of the 3.

Crikey! All you old blokes should have lost your memories by now ;)

GVGjr
16-10-2023, 11:25 AM

Well here is the twist, it was a lady that got those two answers. :)

Grantysghost
16-10-2023, 11:39 AM
Well here is the twist, it was a lady that got those two answers. :)

Nice, it makes sense now.

Sedat
16-10-2023, 11:54 AM
I can't remember what I had for breakfast 3 hours ago but I remember with laser clarity Bradbury kicking the winning goal in that 1984 H&A match at the kennel.

Twodogs
16-10-2023, 12:58 PM
I can't remember what I had for breakfast 3 hours ago but I remember with laser clarity Bradbury kicking the winning goal in that 1984 H&A match at the kennel.

Bloody Neil Cordy. He was supposed to be manning up on Bradbury but went kick chasing instead and got caught between Tim Watson and Bradbury who'd wandered down to the goal square just in case. Bradbury was the only player within 30 metres of the goal mouth

Twodogs
16-10-2023, 01:18 PM
Two Dogs is next level Dogs mastermind.

Have to go on Hard Quiz!

Western Bulldogs has already been a topic on Hard Quiz. The guy who had it is a guy I've known since we were kids. His dad was our GP (he saved my late dad's life years ago)

And yes he won the Big Brass Mug.

I auditioned for Hard Quiz a few years ago (special subject Dad's Army) but had to leave the audition halfway through. I've been meaning to apply again

https://youtu.be/DQJO0XULOYc?si=arJnSeTTe0475c5t

azabob
16-10-2023, 02:39 PM
The irony of twitter being the brains trust...

azabob
16-10-2023, 02:42 PM
Hope you don't mind GVGjr but I thought we'd play this a bit longer.

Which Bulldogs player was drafted from Glenorchy Football Club playing a total of 32 games and three of those games were finals.

GVGjr
16-10-2023, 02:47 PM

Which Bulldogs player was drafted from Glenorchy Football Club playing a total of 32 games and three of those games were finals.

I probably shouldn't have posted it on Twitter but once the one answer we were chasing was mentioned the cat was out of the bag. Perhaps we can find another one to test the team?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-10-2023, 03:43 PM
From memory Peter Bradbury kicked the winning goal against a howling wind for the Bombers in the last qtr.

I'll never forget the half time score that day, both teams were level on 0.7.7 each

Yep. I was pretty confident it was Bradbury who kicked the winner.

Bullies
16-10-2023, 04:06 PM

Which Bulldogs player was drafted from Glenorchy Football Club playing a total of 32 games and three of those games were finals. Was it Matt Mansfield?

Mofra
16-10-2023, 04:52 PM
Was it Matt Mansfield?
As an aside, did he play most if not all of his games in long sleeves?

azabob
16-10-2023, 05:04 PM
Was it Matt Mansfield?

Yep. Matthew Mansfield.

Grantysghost
16-10-2023, 05:25 PM
As an aside, did he play most if not all of his games in long sleeves?

I recall he had a forearm guard.

Sedat
16-10-2023, 05:31 PM
Who was the player traded from another club, that played less than 20 games for the Bulldogs but over 30% of these games were finals (including 6 of the last 7 game he played at AFL level)?

GVGjr
16-10-2023, 05:41 PM
Who was the player traded from another club, that played less than 20 games for the Bulldogs but over 30% of these games were finals (including 6 of the last 7 game he played at AFL level)?

Wild guess, Tim Callan?

Sedat
16-10-2023, 05:53 PM
Wild guess, Tim Callan?
Spot on. Pretty wild that nearly 1/3rd of his total games with us were finals, and the 6 finals (out of his last 7 games played) were spread out over 3 seasons.

GVGjr
16-10-2023, 06:12 PM
Spot on. Pretty wild that nearly 1/3rd of his total games with us were finals, and the 6 finals (out of his last 7 games played) were spread out over 3 seasons.

I just recall someone mentioning it once that he was out for so long one year that he played a run of games in finals in two years.
I didn't mind him at all but he was injured too much.

HOSE B ROMERO
16-10-2023, 07:58 PM
Player from interstate who played one game for the dogs, but then had to return interstate as he had played without a clearance?

bornadog
16-10-2023, 08:00 PM
Player from interstate who played one game for the dogs, but then had to return interstate as he had played without a clearance?

Was it O'Keefe from SA

HOSE B ROMERO
16-10-2023, 08:05 PM
One of the Twitter followers has named the missing player to Twodogs terrific effort.

Neil Peart came to us from Richmond for one season in 1985 before returning to the Tigers in 1986.
Peart played 2 finals for us in 1985 and only played 9 games for us in that season.

I remember being very pissed off that Peart returned to the tigers. He got to play centre half forward and would have helped us make the finals in '86.

HOSE B ROMERO
16-10-2023, 08:07 PM
Was it O'Keefe from SA

Nope. I don't recall O'Keefe.

GVGjr
16-10-2023, 08:13 PM

Was it John Riley?

HOSE B ROMERO
16-10-2023, 08:46 PM
Was it John Riley?

Well done GVG.

I remember playing the one game at the Western oval in the '80's. I could be wrong but i think his hair was greying prematurely.

He was probably the only interstater recruited by Shane O'Sullivan that didn't work out.

Just read that at the time he played that one game he was completing his PhD in atomic physics. One could only imagine the locker room conversations if he had stayed..

Grantysghost
16-10-2023, 08:54 PM
Well done GVG.

I remember playing the one game at the Western oval in the '80's. I could be wrong but i think his hair was greying prematurely.

He was probably the only interstater recruited by Shane O'Sullivan that didn't work out.

Just read that at the time he played that one game he was completing his PhD in atomic physics. One could only imagine the locker room conversations if he had stayed..

Haha. Need a scanning electron microscope to see that mate.

GVGjr
16-10-2023, 08:55 PM
Well done GVG.

I can recall Mick Malthouse talking about him. Really thought he could be a senior player

bornadog
16-10-2023, 09:04 PM
Nope. I don't recall O'Keefe.

I think I had the name mixed up - Riley is the one. O'Keefe played 3 games for us

Twodogs
17-10-2023, 01:31 PM
Well done GVG.

The rumour was that as part of his recruitment package we provided him with a new car which he promptly pointed toward Adelaide and drove home in!

Bulldog4life
17-10-2023, 04:03 PM

Was at that game. Nothing worse than losing a close game and walking home sopping wet.

Twodogs
17-10-2023, 08:18 PM
Was at that game. Nothing worse than losing a close game and walking home sopping wet.

I can't remember too many wetter or colder days at the footy.

Maybe that day at VFL Park against Fitzroy in 1976 when Alan Stoneham kicked the winner with a couple of minutes left?

GVGjr
20-10-2023, 10:41 AM
Okay a slight variation on the name the players theme

What club have we never received a player from in a trade or any other way?
What club have we not received a player from in a trade for around 30 years?

bulldogtragic
20-10-2023, 10:54 AM
Okay a slight variation on the name the players theme

What club have we never received a player from in a trade?
What club have we not received a player from in a trade for around 30 years?

Last ones off the top of my head (non FA’s):

GCS: Darley
GWS: Boyd
Port: Monty
Freo: Lobb
Syd: Biggs
Bris: Martin
Haw: Duryea
Dees: Harmes
StK: Coffield
Rich: Lloyd
Coll: Treloar
Geel: Street
Adel: Keath

So they?re from:

WCE: Trew (nearly 30 years)
Carl:
ESS:
North:

Still Updating.

Mofra
20-10-2023, 11:04 AM

So they?re from:

Carl:
ESS:
North:

Still Updating.
Was Gardiner from West Coast (now a player agent)?

Billy Gowers was kind of from Carlton.

Crammers from the bombers

GVGjr
20-10-2023, 11:08 AM

So they?re from:

Carl:
ESS:
North:

Still Updating.

We got Stevens from West Coast, Jones from Carlton, Carmeri from Essendon as Mofra mentioned but it's Jose Romero from North 30 years ago. Darley was from the GWS wasn't he?

I don't think we have brought in a player from the Suns.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2023, 11:08 AM
Was Gardiner from West Coast (now a player agent)?

Billy Gowers was kind of from Carlton.

Crammers from the bombers

My mind erased Crameri…

Carlton or North and WCE with Trew. I’m guessing is the answer.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2023, 11:09 AM
We got Stevens from West Coast, Jones from Carlton, Carmeri from Essendon as Mofra mentioned but it's Jose Romero from North 30 years ago. Darley was from the GWS wasn't he?

I don't think we have brought in a player from the Suns.

Sam Darley from the suns. Jones wasn’t a trade, whose the last Carlton player via trade?

GVGjr
20-10-2023, 11:13 AM
Sam Darley from the suns. Jones wasn’t a trade, whose the last Carlton player via trade?

Just checked and Darley was from GWS. Carlton received a compo pick 49 for Jones so it's why it counts in this measure

Bulldog4life
20-10-2023, 11:32 AM
I can't remember too many wetter or colder days at the footy.

Maybe that day at VFL Park against Fitzroy in 1976 when Alan Stoneham kicked the winner with a couple of minutes left?

Always freezing at Waverley Td then the long drive home when you could find your car.

Twodogs
20-10-2023, 01:31 PM

Phil Maylin? James Cook?

Twodogs
20-10-2023, 01:35 PM
Always freezing at Waverley Td then the long drive home when you could find your car.

Moorabbin too. Then the long walk back to the train station walking through the frontyards of the locals.

I remember a game at Moorabbin in the early '80s where the ground had so much mud on it that Bluey Hampshire had a shot from inside the goal square and the ball got stuck in the mud and didn't go through.

Now Bluey may not have been the most graceful kick but not making the distance from inside the goal square was going from the sublime to the ridiculous

Twodogs
20-10-2023, 01:44 PM
There's one club from which we've both received and given players to with the same surname. The players are not related.

Player's name and the name of the club please.

Rocket Science
20-10-2023, 05:02 PM
There's one club from which we've both received and given players to with the same surname. The players are not related.

Player's name and the name of the club please.

https://i.ibb.co/mcN58Sj/fab.jpg (https://ibb.co/QKDvdXg)

She's gonna be a looooong offseason I tell ya what.

EasternWest
20-10-2023, 05:32 PM

But at least if we've got you working it we're gonna have some lols.

Twodogs
20-10-2023, 06:08 PM

Correct. But now that I think about it there's another pair too.

Gary Baker could get a guernsey as the hairiest league footballer as well.

josie
20-10-2023, 06:52 PM
Correct. But now that I think about it there's another pair too.

Gary Baker could get a guernsey as the hairiest league footballer as well.

Yeah, wow-Wolfman/yetti vibes.

Twodogs
20-10-2023, 07:27 PM
Yeah, wow-Wolfman/yetti vibes.

He sure does.

As a matter of interest I think that he won Melbourne's Best and Fairest the year after we cleared him there. That fact tends to get overlooked given all the Brownlow medalists and other notable players we provided to other clubs back in those days