PDA

View Full Version : Draft or Trade: Pick 5

mjp
18-10-2023, 11:58 AM
We have Pick 5 and there is MUCH speculation Nick Watson is the player we are targeting.

If you had a choice between:

- Holding Pick 5 and selecting Watson
- Trading Pick 5 to Brisbane for Zac Bailey

WHAT would you do???

In this hypothetical:
- Watson is our #1 target and IS AVAILABLE at our pick.
- Bailey is willing to come and Brisbane are willing to trade him but ONLY for a top 10 selection (which we have - pick 5). There is no ability to trade down. It is pick 5 or it is no deal.

YES: I could have chosen other players but I chose Bailey. He is a clever forward mid and an excellent finisher and the sort of player I think Watson COULD become.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-10-2023, 12:01 PM
Give me Bailey. Proven quantity over unknown any day. He fits the age profile too.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-10-2023, 12:13 PM
We have Pick 5 and there is MUCH speculation Nick Watson is the player we are targeting.

If you had a choice between:

- Holding Pick 5 and selecting Watson
- Trading Pick 5 to Brisbane for Zac Bailey

WHAT would you do???

In this hypothetical:
- Watson is our #1 target and IS AVAILABLE at our pick.
- Bailey is willing to come and Brisbane are willing to trade him but ONLY for a top 10 selection (which we have - pick 5). There is no ability to trade down. It is pick 5 or it is no deal.

YES: I could have chosen other players but I chose Bailey. He is a clever forward mid and an excellent finisher and the sort of player I think Watson COULD become.

Bailey. Known entity, over potential, and in his prime now, when we need that skillset most. I think Jee said it well in another post you shouldn't be drafting for current needs...given most players are 3-4 years away from being topline contributors.

Rocket Science
18-10-2023, 12:18 PM
https://i.ibb.co/p0n2qCg/Screen-Shot-2023-10-18-at-11-17-06-am.png (https://ibb.co/K0m6nCY)

Seeing as we're famously and irrefutably iN tHe WiNdOw surely it's the player who's an immediate factor over the one who might be a factor when the Bont is thirty something.

MrMahatma
18-10-2023, 12:22 PM
I rate Bailey big time. Him all day.

GVGjr
18-10-2023, 12:45 PM
There is no way I'd trade pick 5 for Bailey.
It's basically pick 5 and a F1 or 2 x 1st rounders for Bailey and that is way, way overs despite the short term gain.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-10-2023, 12:53 PM
It's basically pick 5 and a F1 or 2 x 1st rounders for Bailey and that is way, way overs despite the short term gain.

And this highlights why so many were against the trade we did.

Seems the general consensus is we'd prefer Bailey over Watson. Yet we've already done the trade for Watson (potentially).

Grantysghost
18-10-2023, 01:08 PM
Pick 5 seems too much to pay, so I'd be hitting the draft.

Mofra
18-10-2023, 01:09 PM
Zac has a twin named Jordan.

Bailey is an excellent player but how many Bailey's is too many?
I was against using an F1 in our deal to the Suns and as good as he is, Zac is not a "3x first round" player.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-10-2023, 01:10 PM
Pick 5 seems too much to pay, so I'd be hitting the draft.

It's interesting. Pick 5 does seem too much. But when it's asked if we prefer Watson or Bailey, I'm preferring Bailey. And I'm preferring him over any player at pick 5.

Grantysghost
18-10-2023, 01:14 PM
It's interesting. Pick 5 does seem too much. But when it's asked if we prefer Watson or Bailey, I'm preferring Bailey. And I'm preferring him over any player at pick 5.

Yes it's the bird in the hand theory.

Watson could impact quickly though I think.

mjp
18-10-2023, 01:19 PM

Yep.

Whichever player you choose in this scenario - Bailey or Watson - that's the price. Pick 5 and a Future 1st minus the value of Jordan Croft.

chef
18-10-2023, 01:50 PM
I'd go Watson.

I would have to question Baileys sanity to want to leave a very good Brisbane side for us atm.

mjp
18-10-2023, 03:09 PM
I'd go Watson.

I would have to question Baileys sanity to want to leave a very good Brisbane side for us atm.

Whether or not he is insane I will leave for those who know him to answer. But he CAN 100% do INSANE things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5R8knQUl2s

chef
18-10-2023, 04:03 PM
Whether or not he is insane I will leave for those who know him to answer. But he CAN 100% do INSANE things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5R8knQUl2s

Yeah my son in law played NT Thunder with him and my daughters are Lions Members, so im down with him being insanely talented.

I'd just question his motives thats all haha.

Bulldog Revolution
18-10-2023, 04:33 PM
I'm making the trade - I view Bailey as close to elite - would help both our midfield and our forward lines

Im confident we have another 7+ years of near elite footy out of the deal

Go_Dogs
19-10-2023, 09:57 PM
Tough one. In an ideal world you get a top 3 or top 5 on your list talent with a top 5 pick.

Bailey probably top 10 in our side. Position of need yes but he?s be behind quite a few. Definitely not top 3.

Not sure Watson is a top 5 talent on our list or not either? but that?s what we are paying our talent ID staff to determine and by god they better bloody well get it right.

The Doctor
20-10-2023, 10:46 AM
Bring on the Wizz

I would love to have Zac Bailey in our side. But I like growing our own and I think there is a chance the Wizz could be even better. I'd back us in.