PDA

View Full Version : Best/Starting 23, Round 1 2024

Pages : [1] 2

bulldogtragic
19-10-2023, 09:46 AM
Fully fit:

My first version. I?m assuming Watson gets to us with Hawks getting Gini & Gunston so they could go another midfielder. I think he can play straight away in the role.

B: Dale L. Jones Coffield
HB: Richards JOD JJ
C: Williams Treloar Poulter
HF: Sanders Marra Weightman
F: Lobb Naughton Clarke
R: English Bont Libba
I: Smith Macrae Harmes Daniel
S: West
E: Darcy Buss Scott Arty

Rest: Cleary, Garcia, Gardner, Baker, Duryea (?), Gags, VDM, Khamis, Croft, Lual (?), spare ruck (?), recruits or other rookie upgrades.

Early rationale:

3 talls, 3 smalls up forward (Sanders starting there). With Bont & Adz to rest there. Darcy as the next tall forward in line. I prefer this but expect we will have a midfield capable HHF taking a spot, although I wouldn?t mind seeing Cody spend a few minutes on ball to add some burst speed and X factor to a similar midfield.

A more mobile defence. Unless the oppo is very tall. Coffield as the third tall type. Would prefer games into Buss over Gardner. Croft into the defence group. I?d consider moving Daniel back too, with Smith to get more time in the middle and perhaps Macrae and Harmes coming in and hopefully West stepping up, perhaps we move him back to where he won an AA jacket.

Mids to rotate more. I?m assuming Smith has been promised more mid time so I expect him in a bit more. I?m a bit concerned over where Macrae fits in, but hopefully he can get back to his best or close to it. I think Lobb should get a few more minutes every quarter and English can drift forward or play around d with him as a tall utility that floats where he thinks we need him during the game.

There still seems like plenty of talent on paper. But the game plan, CBA rotations, defence, tagging (Harmes ?), and I50 entries are going to hurt with missing easy goals. Hopefully some new assistants can help here.

ledge
19-10-2023, 11:42 AM
Fully fit:

My first version. I?m assuming Watson gets to us with Hawks getting Gini & Gunston so they could go another midfielder. I think he can play straight away in the role.

HF: Watson (?) Marra Weightman

Rest: Cleary, Garcia, Gardner, Baker, Duryea (?), Gags, VDM, Khamis, Croft, Lual (?), spare ruck (?), recruits or other rookie upgrades.

Early rationale:

3 talls, 3 smalls up forward. With Bont & Adz to rest there. Darcy as the next tall forward in line. I prefer this but expect we will have a midfield capable HHF taking a spot, although I wouldn?t mind seeing Cody spend a few minutes on ball to add some burst speed and X factor to a similar midfield.

A more mobile defence. Unless the oppo is very tall. Coffield as the third tall type. Would prefer games into Buss over Gardner. Croft into the defence group. I?d consider moving Daniel back too, with Smith to get more time in the middle and perhaps Macrae and Harmes coming in and hopefully West stepping up, perhaps we move him back to where he won an AA jacket.

Mids to rotate more. I?m assuming Smith has been promised more mid time so I expect him in a bit more. I?m a bit concerned over where Macrae fits in, but hopefully he can get back to his best or close to it. I think Lobb should get a few more minutes every quarter and English can drift forward or play around d with him as a tall utility that floats where he thinks we need him during the game.

There still seems like plenty of talent on paper. But the game plan, CBA rotations, defence, tagging (Harmes ?), and I50 entries are going to hurt with missing easy goals. Hopefully some new assistants can help here.

Looks like we will have another strong VFL team next year

Dry Rot
19-10-2023, 04:52 PM
Good team selection BT, but you have to wonder where Busslinger will fit in following the arrival of Coffield.

If the answer is close to zero games in season 2024, then he may well ask for a trade back home because of lack of opportunities.

GVGjr
19-10-2023, 05:01 PM
Good team selection BT, but you have to wonder where Busslinger will fit in following the arrival of Coffield.

If the answer is close to zero games in season 2024, then he may well ask for a trade back home because of lack of opportunities.

They're very different players though and Busslinger is more of the understudy to Keath, Gardner and Jones where Coffield is replacing TOB and is in competition more with JOD for a spot.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2023, 05:05 PM

I think Coff is in for TOB/Croz. Buss and either Keath/Gardner fighting for the third tall if we need to go in with the extra tall. I’m hoping Buss can jump both of them and we can look at the future with JOD & Buss and how they best work together. Whose the better 2nd KPD and who’s the better interceptor although with Jones I think Jones is still our best interceptor.

josie
19-10-2023, 05:12 PM
Good selection. I’d swap Garcia for Clarke.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2023, 05:36 PM
Good selection. I’d swap Garcia for Clarke.

I can’t remember who starts the ‘bolter for season 2024’ thread. But Clarke is my bolter. I wouldn’t mind seeing Garcia trialled back for my ‘Bevo Special’ magnet switcheroo.

josie
19-10-2023, 05:42 PM
I can’t remember who starts the ‘bolter for season 2024’ thread. But Clarke is my bolter. I wouldn’t mind seeing Garcia trialled back for my ‘Bevo Special’ magnet switcheroo.

Good thinking. Garcia has tenacity that might work in backline. I feel he is the type of player that might flourish with a specific role. He is short though and possibly not great overhead, but when/if ball hits ground he is like a terrier. I hope you are right about Clarke. From what I’ve seen in vfl he is a good team player, but not as agile as I was hoping. Let’s hope he has a great pre-season.

Hotdog60
19-10-2023, 06:05 PM
Fully fit:

I like the line up but I'm still not sold on Clarke and I think he would have to shine in any of the Pre season stuff to earn a spot in the starting line up.
I'd swap him with West and Scott as the Sub. But I do like the rest. :)

bulldogsthru&thru
19-10-2023, 06:40 PM
I mean you look at that line-up and think it's strong. But then it just doesn't happen. We really need a couple of new players to step up. By new I mean guys who haven't stepped up previously.

kruder
19-10-2023, 08:11 PM
I reckon Darcy will play round 1 in front of Lobb. It's his third year and it's time to get games into him, I just can't see him in defence at all. English look cooked in the last third of the year I think we need to rest him forward more.

Really like this setup BT, it would solve a lot of the ball movement issues we faced last year, I just prefer Daniel forward/mid I'm not a fan of his ability to defend.

hujsh
19-10-2023, 08:17 PM
I reckon Darcy will play round 1 in front of Lobb. It's his third year and it's time to get games into him, I just can't see him in defence at all. English look cooked in the last third of the year I think we need to rest him forward more.

Really like this setup BT, it would solve a lot of the ball movement issues we faced last year, I just prefer Daniel forward/mid I'm not a fan of his ability to defend.

Maybe we should ruck Lobb more then. Not sure bringing in Darcy and resting English forward more are quite compatible notions right now. Maybe in another season or two.

EasternWest
19-10-2023, 09:09 PM
Am I the only one who's extremely wary of the Darcy hype train?

Maybe I'm still suffering Ayceitis.

Grantysghost
19-10-2023, 09:12 PM

Yes.

Bulldog4life
20-10-2023, 03:39 AM

Maybe wary of Darcy senior's friendships but not Sammy as a future gun. Put your second house on it EW.

The Underdog
20-10-2023, 07:20 AM

The injuries concern me at his size, but I have no doubts about his ability. He’s a much more natural athlete than Ayce ever was and he is a lovely mark and kick.

FrediKanoute
21-10-2023, 12:09 AM
My Round 1 Team

B: Coffield, Jones, Richards
HB: Dale, Keath, JOD
C: Williams, The Bont, Poulter
HF: Smith, Naughton, Harmes
F: Lobb, JUH, Weightman
R: English, Treloar, Libba

Inter: West, Gardner, Macrae, JJ
Sub: Scott

GVGjr
21-10-2023, 12:22 AM
My Round 1 Team

You're missing Caleb Fredi.

hujsh
21-10-2023, 12:58 AM
My Round 1 Team

You're missing Caleb Fredi.

Can probably swap out one of Gardner or Keath for him. Don't need both if Jones and JOD are playing

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-10-2023, 01:47 AM
Fully fit:

Early rationale:

3 talls, 3 smalls up forward. With Bont & Adz to rest there. Darcy as the next tall forward in line. I prefer this but expect we will have a midfield capable HHF taking a spot, although I wouldn?t mind seeing Cody spend a few minutes on ball to add some burst speed and X factor to a similar midfield.

WOW you've really got Clarke coming from the clouds to snag a spot in the starting 22!?
Did he finish the season off well with Footscray? I thought the consensus from VFL watchers was he had not had a very good first season, off the back of a very limited pre-season?

Have you see some things late in the year that have you really bullish on his early season prospects BT?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-10-2023, 02:01 AM

I'm not gonna lie, I've had a couple of moments where I just consider that he's yet to do 3 fifths of f-all yet and he's being feted as if he's a certain 200 gamer by some in the media.

I wonder if talls like Darcy come with more inherent risk than smaller guys? Its different using your height advantage like, Darcy, or a Tom Boyd at Under 18 level, where your lack of body strength can't really be targeted like it will at AFL level. His early injuries do conjure some memories of The Ayce of Cordy at times.

I don't think I"m extremely wary, just cognisant enough of the risk to warrant feeling great that we're getting Croft this year as cover; knowing full well the same risks apply to him. :)

bulldogtragic
21-10-2023, 08:43 AM
WOW you've really got Clarke coming from the clouds to snag a spot in the starting 22!?
Did he finish the season off well with Footscray? I thought the consensus from VFL watchers was he had not had a very good first season, off the back of a very limited pre-season?

Have you see some things late in the year that have you really bullish on his early season prospects BT?

Yeah, he’s my bolter for next year. I think his interrupted preseason had him on the back foot. So I’m hoping a full preseason and a year in our system has him understanding what we need. I recall Cody had a fair bit of doubt in him in his season too from some. I thought he warmed into the end of the season well, (it’s a shit metric) but his points ranking went up significantly and he kicked 4 goals in his two finals. What I especially like his he seems a team first player, almost to a fault. If he can find a better option he seems to want to take it and not blaze away every time, even though more goals would’ve helped promotion rather than score involvements or goal assists.

So whether it’s evidence based or wishful thinking, he’s my bolter. If we can get him humming with Cody and potentially Watson there’s going to be some exciting energy under the excitement of the feet of the big boys. The kind of energy and excitement that can hopefully change the feel around the place with young confidence. So I guess we see!

hujsh
21-10-2023, 10:29 AM
Yeah, he’s my bolter for next year. I think his interrupted preseason had him on the back foot. So I’m hoping a full preseason and a year in our system has him understanding what we need. I recall Cody had a fair bit of doubt in him in his season too from some. I thought he warmed into the end of the season well, (it’s a shit metric) but his points ranking went up significantly and he kicked 4 goals in his two finals. What I especially like his he seems a team first player, almost to a fault. If he can find a better option he seems to want to take it and not blaze away every time, even though more goals would’ve helped promotion rather than score involvements or goal assists.

So whether it’s evidence based or wishful thinking, he’s my bolter. If we can get him humming with Cody and potentially Watson there’s going to be some exciting energy under the excitement of the feet of the big boys. The kind of energy and excitement that can hopefully change the feel around the place with young confidence. So I guess we see!

Yeah a lot on here (probably me too to be fair I just might not have said it) were really wondering what Weightman brought to the table. Didn't seem to be particularly good at anything though there was also the small issue of there not being VFL his first year.

Scorlibo
21-10-2023, 01:17 PM
BO'DonnellJonesCoffield
HBDaleNaughtonRichards
CSmithLiberatorePoulter
HFDanielUgle-HaganWest
FLobbDarcyWeightman
FollEnglishBontempelliMacrae
IntJohannisenHarmesTreloarWatson
SubGallagher
EmgClearyKhamisWilliams

Good fun playing with the new toys, and presuming Watson to be one of those.

Down back, I think Coffield plays round 1 if fit, he could bring some much needed intercept marking ability, good kicking skills and hardness. Probably shuts the door on Duryea's tenure in the side. Personally I think Keath is past his best footy and Gardner is only a depth player, so Naughton should make the shift over the preseason if we're serious about challenging next year. Our intercept game, so poor this year, could really pick up with the addition of Naughton and Coffield.

Through the midfield, I'd like to see us go with a rotating fixture with Liberatore being the one constant at the centre bounce, and the rest sharing the duties. Harmes provides a lockdown defensive option but can be used as a utility. To my mind this puts pressure on Williams' position in the side. I thought Poulter showed a lot in his stint in the AFL side this season. His clean hands and penetration made us better, so he gets the nod as the dedicated wingman over Baker, Williams and Scott.

Up forward I'm hoping that Darcy can get an injury free run. If he does, he's best 22 and will straight away be a big presence at full forward. Daniel in my view played his best footy this year as a high half forward, with his smarts around the fifty giving us good looks. West had another fantastic end to the season, hopefully this coming year he can back it up with a great start as well. His contested work in the forward fifty can create a lot of space, he's like a smaller Mitch Hahn. Watson is exactly the type we need providing speed at the feet of the big guys. Should improve our forward fifty ground ball game significantly if we can nab him in the draft as expected.

Gallagher impressed me in the VFL this season with his 400m burst running, he could be the perfect sub to start the season.

Go_Dogs
22-10-2023, 07:49 AM
What I’d like to see:

HB: Dale, JOD, JJ
C: Daniel, Smith, Poulter
HF: Treloar, Naughton, Weightman
F: Lobb, Jamarra, Watson
R: English, Bont, Libba
IC: Darcy, Harmes, Macrae, West
Sub: Williams

I’m hoping our back 6 can get some continuity. We’ve got run, intercept ability, kicking skill. We should be able to cover most sides. I have Darcy on the bench as our big who can play multiple roles. Massive ask of the kid, but plugging gaps back or being part of the four headed monster up front gives us a few looks.

Our midfield needs Smith to transition in. Let’s back him. Daniel and Poulter as my wings, a bit of everything but players who can use the ball (one short one long) and both capable of helping back / creating forward.

Treloar moves to the high half forward role where I think he’s most effective out of everyone we’ve tried there. Watson straight in and our other forwards select themselves.

Our bench has players with versatility who can chop in multiple roles and Williams as the sun, just squeezed out.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-10-2023, 12:47 PM
The no. 4 pick should debut during the season but not expecting him first round first game.
My ego is less interested in me wanting X or Y player.
The core is there.
My interest is in the players and coach being well supported by staff.
No supporter selections relevant in that.
I predict Brian Lade to have a big year. My intuition says so.

GVGjr
23-10-2023, 04:22 PM
Fox AFL has gone with

WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: Nick Coffield, Liam Jones, Bailey Dale

HB: Ed Richards, James O’Donnell, Jason Johannisen

C: Caleb Poulter, Marcus Bontempelli, Bailey Williams

HF: Caleb Daniel, Aaron Naughton, Bailey Smith

F: Cody Weightman, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Rory Lobb

FOLL: Tim English, Adam Treloar, Tom Liberatore

I/C: Sam Darcy, Jack Macrae, James Harmes, Taylor Duryea, Laitham Vandermeer (sub)

Key off-season ins: Nick Coffield, James Harmes

Key off-season outs: Josh Bruce, Tim O’Brien, Mitch Hannan, Toby McLean, Jordon Sweet

WE SAY: The Dogs should again be bullish about their prospects and climbing back into the top eight, with a list as talented as any in the competition. The club only made small tweaks during the trade period, adding Nick Coffield and James Harmes to round out its depth, with both players featuring in the above 23. Coffield in particular, after a terrible run with injury, could really help the back six - much in the way Bailey Williams did when he was on his tremendous run of form (which has since dropped off). The key defensive stocks still feel a little thin despite the club’s plethora of running backs, given how James O’Donnell was raw in his first year and Alex Keath clearly fell out of favour. We’ve included both Rory Lobb and Sam Darcy, but you sense there’s only room for one of them in the same team, unless Darcy plays back. It’ll meanwhile be fascinating how Luke Beveridge runs his midfield rotation this year, with Harmes and Bailey Smith likely to feature more prominently. But at the expense of who? Surely Jack Macrae can recover from his down year. The club also has Pick 5, which it’s likely to use on Nick Watson, Colby McKercher or Ryley Sanders, who should all compete for a spot.

dukedog
24-10-2023, 12:19 PM
HB: Dale, The Bont, JOD
HF: Smith, Naughton, The Bont
F: Treloar, JUH, Weightman
R: English, , Libba, The Bont

Inter: West, The Bont, Macrae, JJ

SquirrelGrip
24-10-2023, 12:47 PM
HB: Dale, The Bont, JOD
F: Treloar, JUH, Weightman
R: English, , Libba, The Bont

Inter: West, The Bont, Macrae, JJ

I like your thinking. Some minor tweaks from me...

HB: Dale, Naughton, The Bont
C: Caleb, The Bont, Treloar
F: English, JUH, Weightman
R: English, Libba, The Bont

Inter: JOD, The Bont, Macrae, JJ

Rocco Jones
24-10-2023, 01:38 PM
A big concern for mine is what we do with Macrae, Baz and Adz trio when the aren't playing as inside mids/having CBAs.

Bont av 81% CBAs and Libba 78%. So that's more than half the time taken up. If looking at it from a time point of view, there's 140% TOG to divvy up.

Adz av. 78% w Baz and Macrae in the 30s%. Whatever way you split it, we need at least one of them to play majority of time outside of inside mid and another one to at least split the time.

Thus far in other roles, what we have seen from the trio:
- Adz: great offence off HBF but struggling with the defensive side of it. If not HBF or inside mid, really struggles to get into the game and looks really low on confidence.
- Baz: in the limited time I have seen him on the wing, I think he gets lost. Especially when it comes to tracking his opponent. Despite his physical attributes suiting the role, his footy IQ seems suited either to ball winning mid or a harder tag than we usually are up for. As a HFF, he was barely worth a spot in a side struggling to 22, especially in said role.
- Macrae performed better off a HFF than Baz just through a bit more application, but again, not too much above earning a spot in the side.

Billy Beane would not be a fan of the sum of this trio.

Mofra
24-10-2023, 03:00 PM

I'm more concerned with his body holding up than any talent issues.
He hasn't gotten through a season of football in 3 years.
I'm also not sure Coffield plays round 1 given he can't get his body right either. He'd have to tick every box imaginable.

West in for Clarke

Anthony Scott is the ideal sub too, he can play anywhere so he's the easiest sub option on our list.

mjp
24-10-2023, 03:21 PM
I'm also not sure Coffield plays round 1 given he can't get his body right either. He'd have to tick every box imaginable.

Pretty sure every Saints pre-season thread on Saints Woof over the past couple of years would have had:

Nick 'If Fit' Coffield as part of their projected 22's in October...

bulldogtragic
21-11-2023, 12:33 PM
My second version:

B: Dale L. Jones JOD
HB: Richards Darcy JJ
HF: Sanders Marra Weightman
E: Coffield Buss Scott Arty

Rest: Cleary, Garcia, Gardner, Baker, Duryea, Gags, VDM, Khamis, Croft, Bedendo, McNeil, other recruits/rookie.

- Sanders needs to feed our forwards I50, with Weightman to occasionally pinch hit further up the ground
- Clarke as my bolter
- Darcy back to CHB
- Harmes maybe tags from time to time?
- Ruck duties split into regions on the ground. Darcy D50, Lobb I50 and English as a ruck/river
- Bonts & Adz to spend more time forward with higher rotations through CBA
- Still unsure where to play Daniel most effectively. Maybe HHF
- Would love to see Arty force himself into a starting winger. His speed on the wing would be an asset
- Would love a small lockdown defender, but don?t have faith Duryea is the man in 5 months time

It still looks a handy enough side, if their shit is together.

Grantysghost
21-11-2023, 02:19 PM
What have you seen in Clarke to make him a bolter BT?
Love it if he was, just haven't seen anything so far.

bulldogtragic
21-11-2023, 03:01 PM
What have you seen in Clarke to make him a bolter BT?
Love it if he was, just haven't seen anything so far.

Posted this last page:

Also, I’d trial Garcia in the small defender role. He should be quick enough and is a good tackler. I’m not sure he’s getting into our midfield especially with Smith to get more time and Sanders here now. So I’d give him a go Matty Boyd style.

Grantysghost
21-11-2023, 03:09 PM
Weightman did take a while to win us over, so good comparison.
Thanks

GVGjr
21-11-2023, 03:16 PM
At a first glance

B: Johannisen L. Jones Coffield
HB: Richards O'Donnell Dale
C: Williams Treloar Harmes
HF: Sanders Lobb Smith
F: Ugle-Hagan Naughton Weightman
R: English Bontempelli Liberatore
I: Macrae Daniel Darcy Vandermeer Scott
E: West, Poulter, Duryea, Keath

CarnTheScray
21-11-2023, 05:00 PM
If the list is fully fit, Gardner, Keath, TOB, Vandermeer, McNeil should not be starting best 22 just having those guys out of the side makes our team already look significantly better than last year as harsh as it sounds.

Axe Man
21-11-2023, 05:10 PM
If the list is fully fit, Gardner, Keath, TOB, Vandermeer, McNeil should not be starting best 22 just having those guys out of the side makes our team already look significantly better than last year as harsh as it sounds.

I reckon it's pretty safe to say O'Brien won't be getting a game next year. ;)

hujsh
22-11-2023, 11:03 AM
I'm going to so my best 23 round 23 for something a bit different. How I hope we might realistically end the year after some players develop.

C: Williams Sanders Gags
HF:O'Driscoll Naughton Weightman
F: Lobb Ugle-Hagan Clarke
I: Harmes Smith Treloar Daniel
S: Scott
E: Macrae Darcy AJ Poulter Duryea

Daniel to be part of the back 7 since I don't have room anywhere else and he will play.

Sanders to be too good to keep out and Macrae on current form being the one forced out. Not ideal but it's up to him to reverse the trend and I wanted to include forwards in the forward line

Gallagher if he stays fit might be a lock for the wing, he looks good and I think could realistically push Poulter out if Poulter doesn't show enough improvement (and I'm not sure he has improved much since his first year TBH). Could also be Jones here depending on how his year goes. Maybe they push out Williams too.

O'Driscoll with his athletic profile could be a big McNeil upgrade. Genuine pace, great endurance and knows where the goals are. Does he have the forward craft required? Maybe he rotates on the wing in the Scott role too. Maybe mjp can correct this if he's not really year 1 ready for AFL but all I really expect is pressure, the occasional run down tackle and a goal every other game.

Clarke with a pre-season gets to show us why we liked him. A genuine small forward without a selfish streak is exactly what the doctor ordered. Him, Aiden, Weightman and Naughton can potentially bring real defensive intent to the forward half with even Marra having the pace to contribute occasionally.

Harmes Smith Treloar. All part of the midfield rotations and the odd stint forward. Might give Weightman and/or Williams some inside mid minutes too to smooth out the rotations.

josie
22-11-2023, 01:27 PM
Really like BT’s idea of Garcia as small defender. Worth a try.

hujsh
22-11-2023, 01:43 PM
Really like BT’s idea of Garcia as small defender. Worth a try.

Another I'd consider, McNeil. Worth a shot he's not the answer as a small forward or mid.

hujsh
22-11-2023, 01:47 PM
I'm going to so my best 23 round 23 for something a bit different. How I hope we might realistically end the year after some players develop.

Daniel to be part of the back 7 since I don't have room anywhere else and he will play.

Sanders to be too good to keep out and Macrae on current form being the one forced out. Not ideal but it's up to him to reverse the trend and I wanted to include forwards in the forward line

Gallagher if he stays fit might be a lock for the wing, he looks good and I think could realistically push Poulter out if Poulter doesn't show enough improvement (and I'm not sure he has improved much since his first year TBH). Could also be Jones here depending on how his year goes. Maybe they push out Williams too.

O'Driscoll with his athletic profile could be a big McNeil upgrade. Genuine pace, great endurance and knows where the goals are. Does he have the forward craft required? Maybe he rotates on the wing in the Scott role too. Maybe mjp can correct this if he's not really year 1 ready for AFL but all I really expect is pressure, the occasional run down tackle and a goal every other game.

Clarke with a pre-season gets to show us why we liked him. A genuine small forward without a selfish streak is exactly what the doctor ordered. Him, Aiden, Weightman and Naughton can potentially bring real defensive intent to the forward half with even Marra having the pace to contribute occasionally.

Harmes Smith Treloar. All part of the midfield rotations and the odd stint forward. Might give Weightman and/or Williams some inside mid minutes too to smooth out the rotations.

Caveat to this.

If Macrae gets his form back and demands selection how do we fit him in? Maybe it means a forward (Clarke or O'Driscoll) miss and we start him there. After the centre bounce he goes to the midfield and Bont then chooses where he wants to go depending on the situation. He can go forward and push into the middle a bit to be a danger forward of center and a deleverer into the F50. He can run back and be the loose in defence setting up our rebounding plays and probably being a great interceptor/contest killer as well.

Playing a loose defender? Do you still want to if Bontempelli is the guy loose at the other end of the ground?

Hotdog60
22-11-2023, 01:48 PM
Another I'd consider, McNeil. Worth a shot he's not the answer as a small forward or mid.

Might be his only option if you can't hit the side of a barn from 10 metres out directly in front. :)

Mantis
22-11-2023, 02:13 PM

If O'Driscoll plays more than 5 games in his 1st season I think that would be a huge result so to think he'll be entrenched in the team is a stretch given he's coming from a long way back.

hujsh
22-11-2023, 02:43 PM
If O'Driscoll plays more than 5 games in his 1st season I think that would be a huge result so to think he'll be entrenched in the team is a stretch given he's coming from a long way back.

Mentioned at the start this is not a round 1 best 23. Just because he's in the 23 at the end of the year does not mean he's entrenched by any means. This is a somewhat hopeful projection. Given his raw athletic attributes I envision a specific role for him in the team by the end of the year assuming he doesn't have any setbacks in preseason or during the year. That said I'm not as across his weaknesses so maybe there is something significant holding him back.

Bulldog4life
23-11-2023, 11:16 AM
Round 1 verdict: Draftees most likely to debut immediately at every AFL club in 2024

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Pick 6 Ryley Sanders would be a massive Round 1 chance. The Bulldogs did of course trade up for that selection during the trade period, so they clearly value the midfielder, who was a ball magnet at every level he played at in 2023. It’d be wise for the Dogs to start developing their next wave of on-ballers too (even if it’s in a mix of other roles) to start preparing for life after the likes of Tom Liberatore and Adam Treloar. Next year shapes as an important year for the club, so if Sanders can help it on-field, he’ll play. Their other four draftees are likely to start the season in the VFL, with Joel Freijah perhaps the first of the quartet to put his hand up, but he’d need to find consistency at lower level. Father-son draftee Jordan Croft remains a raw prospect despite his bright future. And it’d have to take a Tim English injury for Lachlan Smith to be any chance of getting a senior gig.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/draft/afl-draft-2023-round-1-teams-2024-recruits-most-likely-to-debut-straight-away-at-every-club-analysis-latest-news/news-story/6b8626222158a60d1c96a0e57aeb3df3

Bigdog
28-11-2023, 01:13 AM
FB: Coffield Darcy JOD
HB: Richards Jones Dale
C: Treloar Smith Gallagher
HF: Daniel Lobb VDM
FF: Weightman Naughton JUH

C: English Bont Libba

Inter: Macrae Sanders JJ Clarke

A couple of things:

- Darcy at fullback to fit Lobb in the side. We can’t play 4 talls again. I’m playing Darcy on the opposition gorillas rather than the quicker CHF. We just have to set up so his rarely one on one. I’d rather see Darcy burnt for strength than pace. Playing on the gorillas or resting ruck will draw him to more contest allowing him to intercept.
- Rotate one of our mids at half back. I think both Macrae, Sanders or b.smith can spend time at half back similar to what Collingwood do with pendles and Daicos.
- Treloar played full time as a wingman.
- Gallagher the other wingman. I love what I’ve seen of him.
- I’ve got Clarke on the bench as we are desperate for a small forward and by reports his come back in good shape. I hope his good enough. I’d say this is more hopeful than anything at this stage.
- I’m in the minority but I’d play VDM an every week due to his pace and his competitive edge. I think we are a better team when he plays.
- Really big year for a few on the fringe to step up. Garcia, West, Cleary, Poulter and Bendendo have promising traits (Lesser extent A.Jones), to be a real competitor we need 2 of them to come on and become at least solid B Graders.
- I still think we are short some pace across the field. Half forward also lacks some creativity.

GVGjr
28-11-2023, 04:42 AM
Bigdog, Richards is missing which has to be an oversight.

westbulldog
28-11-2023, 11:50 AM
imo Vandermeer is only value in the GF sprint and , like McNeil, is not best 23 at all.

CarnTheScray
28-11-2023, 03:47 PM
Sanders will play Round 1.

Freijah a possibility too.

Smith HAS to play centre.

Play Harmes and Coffield for sure. Cement Lobb as forward ruck.

If it were up to me i'd play Naughton back but he will likely go forward. If he DID play back, i'd put Darcy up forward with JUH and Lobb.

We have enough talent worthy of playing in the best 22 now, there is no justification for Gardner, Keath, VDM, McNeil to be in the selected Round 1 side IMHO.

hujsh
28-11-2023, 03:50 PM

If it were up to me i'd play Naughton back but he will likely go forward. If he DID play back, i'd put Darcy up forward with JUH and Lobb.

We have enough talent worthy of playing in the best 22 now, there is no justification for Gardner, Keath, VDM, McNeil to be in the selected Round 1 side IMHO.

Out of curiosity (and not necessarily disagreeing) where does Sanders play? Who are our in the guts mids and who is rotating where?

Grantysghost
28-11-2023, 04:42 PM

Going to be interesting trying to fit all these guys in the CBA's. Smith has pretty much said he wants to play there, then you've got Macrae also who wasn't a part of it last year to his and the team's detriment, now chuck Sanders into the mix and I wonder how we structure up.

I guess lots of rotations! Be interesting to see some of our match sims.

angelopetraglia
29-11-2023, 06:39 PM
Bevo has outline what it is going to take to be in the team Round #1. Running machines. https://x.com/westernbulldogs/status/1729745085481291800?s=20

JanLorMill
29-11-2023, 06:55 PM
Bevo has outline what it is going to take to be in the team Round #1. Running machines. https://x.com/westernbulldogs/status/1729745085481291800?s=20
It’s a big statement. Can’t lose by 50 points again.

Grantysghost
29-11-2023, 07:04 PM

That's basically saying if you want to play round 1 you have to train hard.

Dazza
29-11-2023, 07:06 PM
I'm kind of hoping Darcy can take Lobbs spot in the side this year.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-11-2023, 07:50 PM
That's basically saying if you want to play round 1 you have to train hard.

So we've previously been selecting players just coasting? It's a great message but I would've thought it'd be the norm.

bornadog
29-11-2023, 10:00 PM
So we've previously been selecting players just coasting? It's a great message but I would've thought it'd be the norm.

More like, there is now lots of competition for spots, and it all starts on the training track

Rudgey88
29-11-2023, 10:34 PM
I think Busslinger will be ready to step into the side sooner rather than later.

overall whoever is in the top 22 will do a much better job due next year simply because we should have several players in the Vfl putting pressure on the 22..

Bulldog4life
29-11-2023, 11:30 PM

I heard king today say that someone messaged him and said Darc has grown into a man this year from a boy this past season

Grantysghost
30-11-2023, 10:25 AM

That's exactly where my mind went. So wtf have we been doing previously? Cynicism switch on, it feels like a nicely stage managed message for the disgruntled fan base.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-11-2023, 10:49 AM
That's exactly where my mind went. So wtf have we been doing previously? Cynicism switch on, it feels like a nicely stage managed message for the disgruntled fan base.

The results of our review: train harder.

I'm being facicous of course. I think. It wouldn't actually surprise me if our training standards have been below the competition average the last 2 seasons.

kickit2Koly
30-11-2023, 12:20 PM
I'm kind of hoping Darcy can take Lobbs spot in the side this year.

Surely we can play both with one coming off the bench. Especially with Darcy?s ability to play all 3 lines, it makes him the perfect bench option.

Bulldog Joe
30-11-2023, 12:27 PM
Surely we can play both with one coming off the bench. Especially with Darcy?s ability to play all 3 lines, it makes him the perfect bench option.

Bench rotation is a difficult issue and is one of the reasons second rucks really don't exist. They have been replaced by the forward ruck as the talls have been required to have a high percentage of time on ground.

The running players take up the majority of the rotation as it is important to give them rest periods to allow higher intensity for their ground time.

chef
30-11-2023, 12:55 PM

Hopefully this works better than the 4 headed monster experiment

Mantis
30-11-2023, 01:29 PM

Hopefully we play more than one practice match so we can properly trial our set up and playing style… and play competitive teams too.

Dazza
30-11-2023, 01:45 PM

Round 1 has been a bit painful in recent times. We seem to find our groove mid year most seasons after a bit of experimentation.

Bulldog Joe
30-11-2023, 01:56 PM
Round 1 has been a bit painful in recent times. We seem to find our groove mid year most seasons after a bit of experimentation.

2021 we had a great start and mostly maintained it.
We really need wins early and maintain momentum.

Dazza
30-11-2023, 02:02 PM
2021 we had a great start and mostly maintained it.
We really need wins early and maintain momentum.

Yeah that was good. We played a mostly straight bat structually with Martin as first ruck and English as 2nd ruck + Bruce and Naughton.

kickit2Koly
30-11-2023, 04:30 PM
Interesting debate, how many talls is 2 many?! Pies and lions played 5 and 2 or 3 hybrids (Lester, Howe, etc). We played 6 or 7 talls this season.

Dry Rot
01-12-2023, 12:22 AM
I think Busslinger will be ready to step into the side sooner rather than later.

overall whoever is in the top 22 will do a much better job due next year simply because we should have several players in the Vfl putting pressure on the 22..

Can we fit Coffield and Busslinger in the same back line?

jDogs
01-12-2023, 01:27 AM
Quick guess for rd 1

FB: Coffield Jones JJ
C: Williams Bont Macrae
HF: Harmes Naughton West
FF: Weightman JUH Lobb
R: English Smith Liberatore
I: Treloar Sanders VDM Daniel

Sub: Garcia

Probably missing an obvious one somewhere.
My hope is Darcy squeezing into the team somehow. Guessing they'll pick VDM for his speedy little legs.

Dry Rot
01-12-2023, 01:34 AM
Quick guess for rd 1

My hope is Darcy squeezing into the team somehow. Guessing they'll pick VDM for his speedy little legs.

Good effort.

If VDM is not selected, who would replace him?

jeemak
01-12-2023, 01:53 AM
I heard king today say that someone messaged him and said Darc has grown into a man this year from a boy this past season

It would have been Aza messaging him that, they're super tight.

jeemak
01-12-2023, 02:02 AM

You can get a training program wrong, and when external factors like Skinner come into it the difference might be five per cent but it's still a significant difference versus the competition that you can't make up, even if it's just a bit off for you.

I struggle with the concept that each year, every session, every preseason or whatever things go absolutely right. We all work in organisations that are supposed to be professional but **** this stuff up all the time. Why would the AFL/ the Bulldogs be any different?

At least it's clearly on the record on now. In the middle of quarters two, three and four, we didn't have the go to run in order to stop the bleeding and keep us competitive. Everyone wanted to know what we're doing about that, how we are going to challenge the failure. Now it's presented we get the pitch forks out?

Shit goes wrong. Organisations are fallible, as are their people. If we couldn't identify it or admit it was an issue I'd be way more concerned about it, whereas now the club feels it's got a reason why and something to train towards. I'm way more confident of progress than I was a few days ago.

jeemak
01-12-2023, 02:24 AM
Richards, Jones, JOD
Dale, Darcy, JJ
Williams, Jacko, Smith
Scott, JUH, Treloar
Lobb, Naughton, Weightman

English, Bont, Libba

Sanders, Coffield, Daniel, Harmes

Sub: West

I can't say whether this is my aspirational team, preferred team or the best as I see it right now, or how we'll line up irrespective of anything if everyone is fit.

The inclusion of Scott on the half forward line might be a way to solve the problem of accountability in the front half. He's a professional who has improved with each step and demonstrably kicks goals. Another preseason should see him improve again and I at least trust him to do a job if asked.

No surprises I want Treloar as the other half forward and Jacko in the middle. It's ridiculous to imagine the coaching staff persisting with 2023's bullshit of not having Jacko running forward and back, and actually picking the field apart with his hands and feet. Treloar is better on the turn with pace. It just makes sense.

Bailey Smith can want whatever the **** his idiot mullet wants, but he just needs to buckle down and play wing and commit to being the best at it. That means stopping his man first and foremost, and gut running each way, going inside and outside as required. Get the ball when it's there, hold the width deep forward and back to be the main option to get us moving. If the guy actually valued football, he'd relish this as something he could be really good at - imagine being the guy who replaced Lachie Hunter and did it better. Something to hang the hat on.

I could easily swap Keath in for Darcy. I reckon the coaching team will go with the former, but it's aspirational to have Darcy in there.

Mavericks
01-12-2023, 07:09 AM
C: Treloar, Smith, Williams
HF:Sanders , Naughton, Weightman
F: Lobb, Jamarra, West
IC: Darcy, Harmes, Macrae, Poulter

GVGjr
01-12-2023, 08:04 AM
Quick guess for rd 1

Looks a solid team, I'd have Darcy in the line-up and him on the bench ahead of Vandermeer. Not sure about Macrae on a wing.
The unlucky players missing from your line-up would be Poulter and Scott but I struggle to find a spot from them as well.
You've got Daniel on the bench, do you this he will play more forward or in the midfield next season?

GVGjr
01-12-2023, 08:28 AM
Richards, Jones, JOD
Dale, Darcy, JJ
Williams, Jacko, Smith
Scott, JUH, Treloar

English, Bont, Libba

Sanders, West, Daniel, Harmes

I can't say whether this is my aspirational team, preferred team or the best as I see it right now, or how we'll line up irrespective of anything if everyone is fit.

The inclusion of Scott on the half forward line might be a way to solve the problem of accountability in the front half. He's a professional who has improved with each step and demonstrably kicks goals. Another preseason should see him improve again and I at least trust him to do a job if asked.

Really like the logic with this summary and some interesting positional moves. Tend to think Smith should be used off a wing but I'm not as sure about Treloar starting on forward flank although he will spend time there.
I also like the bold and brave decision to have Scott in the side and in the starting 18. Good effort Jee.

Mantis
01-12-2023, 08:55 AM
Richards, Jones, JOD
Dale, Darcy, JJ
Williams, Jacko, Smith
Scott, JUH, Treloar

English, Bont, Libba

No surprises I want Treloar as the other half forward and Jacko in the middle. It's ridiculous to imagine the coaching staff persisting with 2023's bullshit of not having Jacko running forward and back, and actually picking the field apart with his hands and feet. Treloar is better on the turn with pace. It just makes sense.

Bailey Smith can want whatever the **** his idiot mullet wants, but he just needs to buckle down and play wing and commit to being the best at it. That means stopping his man first and foremost, and gut running each way, going inside and outside as required. Get the ball when it's there, hold the width deep forward and back to be the main option to get us moving. If the guy actually valued football, he'd relish this as something he could be really good at - imagine being the guy who replaced Lachie Hunter and did it better. Something to hang the hat on.

I could easily swap Keath in for Darcy. I reckon the coaching team will go with the former, but it's aspirational to have Darcy in there.

Nice effort.

I'm concerned we are too tall in defence and feel we are a better team when we play just the 2 talls and then 'roll the dice' by playing a medium sized player on a tall and get the benefit of more run... we were extremely poor at transitioning the ball from defence this season which wasn't helped by having poor users like Keath, Bruce and Gardner with the ball at critical times.

Re: the comments on Macrae. At some point he needs to be held accountable for his poor season. It's all good and well to say he was played out of position, but he was moved to HF because he ****ing sucked as a midfielder and his transitional running was horrible. He needs to drop 5kg and get back to being able to run.

bornadog
01-12-2023, 09:43 AM
Richards, Jones, JOD
Dale, Darcy, JJ
Williams, Jacko, Smith
Scott, JUH, Treloar

English, Bont, Libba

and your sub :)

kickit2Koly
01-12-2023, 11:57 AM
C: Treloar, Smith, Williams
HF:Sanders , Naughton, Weightman
F: Lobb, Jamarra, West
IC: Darcy, Harmes, Macrae, Poulter

Do room for Daniel?

Bigdog
01-12-2023, 02:39 PM
Front half balance is concerning this year.

I reckon we might be short 1 small forward. Clarke, Arty and VDM are going to be very important.

TheColonel
01-12-2023, 03:49 PM
Front half balance is concerning this year.

I reckon we might be short 1 small forward. Clarke, Arty and VDM are going to be very important.

I’d like to think O’Driscoll could add value later in the season, he has serious pace and could be that other small forward we are looking for. M
I completely agree that we lacked quality players at the feet of our talls last year. Too often the ball would come in to a big pack, hit the ground, and the opposition swoop and quickly get it going the other way. We need to really improve our ability to lock the ball in, we can’t rely on our talls to mark it every time.

Mavericks
01-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Do room for Daniel?

dont know how I missed him. Poulter to sub and Daniel in.

jeemak
02-12-2023, 03:43 PM
Nice effort.

I'm concerned we are too tall in defence and feel we are a better team when we play just the 2 talls and then 'roll the dice' by playing a medium sized player on a tall and get the benefit of more run... we were extremely poor at transitioning the ball from defence this season which wasn't helped by having poor users like Keath, Bruce and Gardner with the ball at critical times.

Re: the comments on Macrae. At some point he needs to be held accountable for his poor season. It's all good and well to say he was played out of position, but he was moved to HF because he ****ing sucked as a midfielder and his transitional running was horrible. He needs to drop 5kg and get back to being able to run.

Thanks. I agree with you re our defence, and in lieu of not having put a sub in I've rejigged the lineup and now have Coffield on the bench and West as the sub, which probably hasn't helped! I feel the MC will roll the dice on the three talls to start the season, and hope with JJ, Dale and Richards, with Daniel rolling back to help out we have enough zip and creativity to get the ball moving.

You're not wrong on Macrae, he is definitely in my mind when Beveridge talks about the fourth phase and needing to do more to be a trustworthy teammate.

jeemak
02-12-2023, 03:44 PM
and your sub :)

Good pick-up!

I've rebalanced with Coffield on the bench and West as the sub. There's a number of players who are in contention for different roles, and if we can keep everyone fit I reckon the depth will seem to have improved.

Palace03
02-12-2023, 04:56 PM
Richards Jones Coffield
Dale JOD JJ
Smith Treloar Williams
Sanders Naughts West
Weightman JUH Lobb
English Bont Libba
McRea Daniel Harmes Darcy
Sub Scott

2 Talls + Coffield back is a better balance and gives more drive from the back half. Hopefully Buss pushes in by mid year with Gards and Dureya back up and Keath break glass option.

Bont, Libba, Treloar were our best 3 mids last year and should be our starting midfield. Smith, Harmes and McRea rolling through.

Light on for small forwards who are ready but unless Arty, Clarke or O'Driscoll surprise over pre season, West and Sanders are the better options.

Poulter, Baker, Scott, Khamis and Bramble probably all play when injuries come. VDM, McNeil and Garcia to me seem along way from the 23 at this stage.

Bumper Bulldogs
02-12-2023, 05:16 PM
Richards, Jones, Daniel
Dale, Darcy, JJ
Williams, Treloar, Smith
Lobb, JUH, West
A Jones, Naughton, Weightman

English, Bont, Libba

VDM, Scott, JOD, Harmes

Sub: MaCrae

Lobb to push up to the wings all day.
I like the West, Weightman and Jones mix in the forward line.
I like the speed of Richards, JJ, Dale, Baz, Treloar, Jones, Weightman the. Rotating speed form the bench. VDM and Jones critical for multi position rotations
I think we need the old heads Jones, Daniel and JJ down back with the youth of Darcy and JOD off the bench

MaCrae is the odd one out. He has been huge but lost pace and others are in front of him now for the future. But ire on he would be a great sub if he doesn’t crack the $@?# shot can’t buy experience and as a seasoned professional he still has a lot to offer the club

Before I Die
02-12-2023, 05:51 PM
I am making the assumption that players we trade for play, so Coffield and Harmes play. If Sanders is good enough to play first up, that means two extra midfielders into what’s already a crowd. Then there is the challenge of finding a spot for Darcy. I like JOD at CHB, so it comes down to Darcy or Lobb. For Round 1 Lobb wins.

So I have:

Coffield Jones Richards
Dale JOD JJ
Poulter Treloar Williams
Sanders JUH Smith
Weightman Naughton Lobb

English Bont Libba

Int: Daniel Scott Harmes Macrae

doggiesin08
03-12-2023, 06:11 AM
I wouldn’t be opposed to Buku as the designated sub. Gives cover if one of the KPFs go down mid-game, allows us to start with only Jones and JOD as tall backs and come in if we need and extra tall(ish) back or no be screwed over by an in game injury. Can play as a small/mid too if he needs to replace a non-tall.

dardawg
03-12-2023, 12:04 PM
Wondering what everyones thoughts are regarding Sanders for round 1 and how he will fit into our current midfield set-up. He looks ready-made for AFL.

I'd be going with

Coffield Jones Richards
JJ JOD Williams
Gallagher Treloar Williams
West Naughton Baz
Weightman Marra Lobb

English Bont Libba

Daniel Mcrae Cleary Sanders
Sub: Harmes

SPower
04-12-2023, 02:57 PM
Wondering what everyones thoughts are regarding Sanders for round 1 and how he will fit into our current midfield set-up. He looks ready-made for AFL.

I'd be going with

Coffield Jones Richards
JJ JOD Williams
West Naughton Baz
Weightman Marra Lobb

English Bont Libba

I'd be gobsmacked if Bailey Dale misses out.

Mantis
04-12-2023, 02:58 PM

I'd be going with

Coffield Jones Richards
JJ JOD Williams
West Naughton Baz
Weightman Marra Lobb

English Bont Libba

Nice effort.

You’ve listed Williams twice… assume you want him on a wing with Dale taking his spot at HB who is an obvious omission.

On Sanders I guess we wait and see how he performs throughout the preseason but everything so far pints to him being selected early on which makes for some healthy competition for spots.

Mantis
04-12-2023, 03:00 PM
Double post

Grantysghost
04-12-2023, 03:07 PM
Coffield Naughton Daniel
Dale Jones Richards
Poulter Macrae Baker
Smith Marra Harmes
A.Jones Lobb Weightman

English Bont Libba

Int: West, Treloar, JOD, JJ

Sub : Scott

bornadog
04-12-2023, 03:57 PM
Coffield Naughton Daniel
Dale Jones Richards
Poulter Macrae Baker
Smith Marra Harmes
A.Jones Lobb Weightman

English Bont Libba

Int: West, Treloar, JOD, JJ

Sub : Scott

Nice try - and where is McNeil :D

hujsh
04-12-2023, 04:28 PM
Let's do one for round 1 this time. Realistic goggles on.

C: Williams Macrae Bedendo
HF:Treloar Naughton Harmes
F: Lobb Ugle-Hagan Weightman
I: Sanders Smith Daniel Arthur
E: Darcy Poulter Duryea Clarke

Well maybe a little bit of hope in a few spots

I could have put Poulter ahead of Bedendo and Scott ahead of Jones (and but I think there's reason to hope a few players might jump the queue over the course of pre-season.

The back 6 (7 if you include Daniel) pretty much picks itself. Unless you feel we need another tall in the system those are our best defenders on paper.

Wings. Williams seems the best bet to hold a spot. Baker and Poulter offer something but are just OK. Maybe Poulter will show more with a full pre-season in the system and I'm underestimating him but he seems lacking in something. Urgency? Competitive edge? I think it's easy to get lost in the wing role if you're not prepared to force yourself into the game. So why Bedendo ahead of him? Running capacity. Even if you're not fast, if you can run all day you can be an effective wingman. Like Hunter. Bedendo has come back and won the 2k so I'm going to go out on a limb and back him in to win a spot for round 1. If he can keep it once he's in the team is another question.

Mids/bench/Half forwards. Not what I'd want ideally/structurally. If all of Sanders, Macrae, Smith and Harmes demand selection (and with the possible exception of Sanders they should all do so) then we need to take a page from 2016's book and start heavily rotating players through there again. With maybe the exception of Libba everyone should be spending a decent chunk of time outside the main mid trio. Maybe Harmes/Treloar/Smith to spend a bit of time on a wing to relieve the wingers. All of Macrae, Bont, Harmes, Smith, Treloar, Sanders and even occasionally Libba need to be prepared to play forward for 30% or more of their on field time. If everyone does that there should also be less reason to whine about not getting minutes in the middle. There shouldn't be 3 players hogging it all for themselves (or being the only ones trusted maybe). Maybe it even means Weightman gets time in there to get the rotations working. Or Daniel but that interferes with the balance of the defensive rotations.

If Sanders doesn't make the round 1 team either a specialist forward comes in (Clarke? Scott?) or Daniel moves into the mid rotations and Dureya becomes one of the 7 defenders.

Forwards. Naughton, Lobb, JUH and Weightman. Assuming Lobb holds his form he stays in. If not Darcy is hopefully banging on the door.

Bench. Only player not mentioned so far is Jones. Was tempted to put Clarke in the 22 and Scott is also a very realistic chance of being ahead of him but this is effectively Clarke's first pre-season so he may not quite be there round 1. There's clearly something the club really likes about Jones. They had a spot ready for him after his pre-season last year and brought him straight in once fit. I think with another pre-season under he belt he should leapfrog Scott and earn a spot as our pressure forward, maybe rotating into the wings for stints and developing a bit in that role with an eye for the long term.

Scott becomes the ideal sub. Can fit in pretty much anywhere on the ground apart from key position posts.

Grantysghost
04-12-2023, 04:36 PM
Nice try - and where is McNeil :D

Naughton forward throws us so off balance I'll never understand it.

We will score goals.

Doesn't matter who kicks them.

Net goals for will be the same....

Naughton to defence...

Net goals against will drop.

It's so obvious it's making my hair go as grey as my beard BAD!

McNeil is coach.

azabob
04-12-2023, 09:03 PM
It would have been Aza messaging him that, they're super tight.

Playing catch up. We both do love a beer at the Ascot Vale Hotel.

dardawg
04-12-2023, 10:00 PM
I knew I missed one, He can replace B.Williams double at hb

dardawg
04-12-2023, 10:01 PM
I'd be gobsmacked if Bailey Dale misses out.
I knew I missed one, He can replace B.Williams double at hb

PR0408
04-12-2023, 10:55 PM
Great summary. I’ll have a go at my best 23 shortly.
one thing I want to mention is arty jones is he a natural fwd when he lost confidence and went back to vfl, I watched him not touch the ball for nearly 3/4. I felt for him. Then he was moved to half back and he looked brilliant. Great run and carry along with great pressure. I think he could become like Daniel Rioli. Obviously he needs to improve his one one club contest but I think it’s worth a shot.

bornadog
04-12-2023, 11:45 PM
Great summary. I’ll have a go at my best 23 shortly.
one thing I want to mention is arty jones is he a natural fwd when he lost confidence and went back to vfl, I watched him not touch the ball for nearly 3/4. I felt for him. Then he was moved to half back and he looked brilliant. Great run and carry along with great pressure. I think he could become like Daniel Rioli. Obviously he needs to improve his one one club contest but I think it’s worth a shot.
He has been more a winger, not a forward, so may be HBF could be a role he could play.

jeemak
05-12-2023, 10:55 AM
Playing catch up. We both do love a beer at the Ascot Vale Hotel.

I'm never that far off the mark........

weltschmerz
07-12-2023, 09:19 PM
FB: Richards, Jones, Coffield
HB: Dale, O'Donnell, JJ
C: Poulter, Liberatore, Treloar
HF: West, Naughton, Sanders
FF: Weightman, JUH, Lobb
F: English, Bont, BSmith
IC: Macrae, Daniel, Harmes, Williams

Lot of players quite stiff to miss out. Scott sub because he can generally slot in and play a role. Poulter is the one with the weakest position in the side and could be pushed out if someone like Freijah or Gallagher has a great pre-season. Sanders, Macrae, and Harmes rotate through the inside midfield, HFF, and bench, or Harmes plays on the most dangerous opposition midfielder.

bornadog
07-12-2023, 09:47 PM

Lot of players quite stiff to miss out. Scott sub because he can generally slot in and play a role. Poulter is the one with the weakest position in the side and could be pushed out if someone like Freijah or Gallagher has a great pre-season. Sanders, Macrae, and Harmes rotate through the inside midfield, HFF, and bench, or Harmes plays on the most dangerous opposition midfielder.

Pretty good team.

CM Punk
07-12-2023, 10:22 PM
C: Williams, Liberatore, Treloar
HF: West, Naughton, Harmes
F: English, Bont, Smith
IC: Macrae, Daniel, Sanders, Scott
Sub: Poulter

GVGjr
07-12-2023, 10:32 PM
C: Williams, Liberatore, Treloar
HF: West, Naughton, Harmes
F: English, Bont, Smith
IC: Macrae, Daniel, Sanders, Scott
Sub: Poulter

I like this team accept for Treloar on a wing. I'd also be trying to to squeeze Darcy to a role on the bench

mighty_west
07-12-2023, 10:44 PM
Ok here goes......

B : Richards - Jones - Coffield
HB : JJ - O'Donnell - Dale
C : Williams - Liberatore - Poulter
HF : Treloar - Naughton - West
F : Weightman - Jamarra - Darcy

FOLL : English - Bont - B.Smith

INT : Lobb - Daniel - Sanders - Macrae

Always interesting to see how our tall forwards will function together, who leads, who stays back, will 3 big guys get in each others way and jump for the same ball, really liked the look of our "3 headed monster" a few seasons back with Timmy as that 3rd tall forward, but with Darcy hopefully going the next level should create some excitement and issues for the opposition, Lobb obviously gives English a chop out with Timmy at times helping out the defenders, Scotty Wynd style.

Weightman also needs to be smarter and not get in the talls way, obviously he's not your typical small crumbing type, likes to lead out or try and jump on heads, hopefully the forward group really train up on leading pattens even to the point of being predictable but backing themselves to win most contests, there is nothing wrong with playing a predictable brand of footy as long as you're good enough.

Treloar, Bont, Sanders to rotate between forward line and mid, really want Baz Smith to play mid and get back to his best.

Feel like we added depth this year so there should be quite a few knocking down the door.

SquirrelGrip
08-12-2023, 10:09 AM
It's interesting to see close to 100% of us selecting JOD in our Round 1 teams, mostly key position at CHB. I love his potential but are we expecting too much from a second year player to be that big bodied key defender? I'd love the thoughts of those watching training if he is training the house down ahead of the other BAD Boys. How do they compare so far in pre-season?

I know he have it in for Keath and Gardner, and we are wishing for Buss and Darcy to step up, but is there merit in having a stronger defence-first player tall like Gardner there (if he can play at his peak?).

This isn't a criticism of JOD as I'd love him to be that player, but I question our expectations.

Axe Man
08-12-2023, 10:59 AM
It's interesting to see close to 100% of us selecting JOD in our Round 1 teams, mostly key position at CHB. I love his potential but are we expecting too much from a second year player to be that big bodied key defender? I'd love the thoughts of those watching training if he is training the house down ahead of the other BAD Boys. How do they compare so far in pre-season?

I know he have it in for Keath and Gardner, and we are wishing for Buss and Darcy to step up, but is there merit in having a stronger defence-first player tall like Gardner there (if he can play at his peak?).

This isn't a criticism of JOD as I'd love him to be that player, but I question our expectations.

I think you are probably correct. The match committee will likely select Keath or Gardner as Jones/JOD/Coffield (and maybe Darcy) as the KPDs would be a big risk. I like the idea of the teams being selected but I'm not sure the players are ready yet.

hujsh
08-12-2023, 11:06 AM

It's a great point. I guess it's easy to see the end to last year and project forward/extrapolate a bit from that. One potential point in his favor though is that while it's his second year on the list he's also not a 19 year old. He's 21. He's been an athlete the entire time even if in a different sport and was able to come straight into AFL without having played for years. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Gardner isn't the worst depth/backup but we also know his limitations/ceiling to some extent and JOD is already pretty close to that IMO.

Warrnambulldog
08-12-2023, 11:57 AM
Some questions;
Could Darcy be like cats De Konig, does he have the pace off the mark to be a key defender? Be interested to hear what onlookers over the summer think his speed is like with hopefully an injury free run at it.

Where is Caleb Daniel best used? I get nervous about him one on one but is top shelf with ball in hand. Guess you start him on the pine and plug him in half back/forward depending on who we’re playing.

Harmes; seems like a good character/professional, but not really sure what spot he plays in. Guess he allows us to have a tagger for the likes of Nick Daicos, that’s about the only role I see him excelling in

TheColonel
09-12-2023, 09:58 AM
Some questions;
Could Darcy be like cats De Konig, does he have the pace off the mark to be a key defender? Be interested to hear what onlookers over the summer think his speed is like with hopefully an injury free run at it.

Where is Caleb Daniel best used? I get nervous about him one on one but is top shelf with ball in hand. Guess you start him on the pine and plug him in half back/forward depending on who we’re playing.

Harmes; seems like a good character/professional, but not really sure what spot he plays in. Guess he allows us to have a tagger for the likes of Nick Daicos, that’s about the only role I see him excelling in

Personally I don’t think Darcy has the speed to be a key defender. I’d much prefer him to be forward (future ruck) and them train Croft as the future CHB. Croft has the speed and athleticism to be an incredible lockdown/intercepting defender.

Bulldog Joe
09-12-2023, 10:55 AM
Some questions;

I don't see Darcy having the pace off the mark to defend a leading forward.
If he plays back he will need to rely on reading the play and intercepting. This becomes very dependent on pressure from up the ground on the kicker.

Caleb probably needs to be the fix it guy off the bench to get the ball to when he is on. He needs to avoid being tagged out, although that could free up someone else. The key is to have multiple options and for Caleb it is ability to play where the team needs him.

Harmes, I see as the player to use as a tagger. I would consider him starting on the wing but then going to whichever midfielder we thought we needed to stop. For round 1 against Melbourne I would see him suited to running with Viney or Oliver.

Bigdog
09-12-2023, 11:37 AM
Very concerned our small forwards won’t be good enough.

I like VDM as a pressure forward and want to see Weightman push higher on a half forward to get more involved.

Outside of those two the cupboard seems very bare (most don’t even have any faith in VDM). It sounds like Artie due to injury will be a way off and Clarke still isn’t ready.

I really don’t see makeshift half forward line with mids working. We might be able to hide one mid but not multiple. Chances are we will role harmes through there who’s skills are pretty average or Macrae and west who don’t have the speed to compliment the 3 talls.

Critter
09-12-2023, 12:44 PM
B: Johannisen - Jones - Darcy
HB: Richards - JOD - Coffield
C: Dale - Libba - Poulter
HF: West - Naughton - Harmes
F: Lobb - JUH - Weightman

R: English - Bont - Treloar

Int: Sanders - Smith - Macrae - Daniel

I think JJ plays best when he plays deepest.

Playing Darcy deep provides cover for Jones when the latter is tracking his opponent up the field.

JOD displays great athletic capability and football smarts. I believe he will fully blossom this year and own CHB.

Dale on the wing is a try-it-and-see, but with a huge upside. His aerobic capacity and skills make it worth considering.

To me, Poulter and Williams are line-ball but Poulter doesn't seem to drift in and out of games as often as Williams.

Harmes was recruited to give us some grunt, which we sorely lacked. I'm reasonably certain he will play.

Warrnambulldog
09-12-2023, 10:08 PM
Agree with this, crumbing/pressure forward is my biggest positional concern going into next year. We have our Jamie Elliott type in Weightman but need to find a Bobby Hill type equivalent. Need someone like Artie Jones, O’Driscoll to standup. Hope he proves me wrong but feel like we’ve been down this unsuccessful path with VDM before. Feel like Gallagher is another with speed that could play the role but sounds like we’re experimenting with him higher up the field at the moment

Very concerned our small forwards won’t be good enough.

I like VDM as a pressure forward and want to see Weightman push higher on a half forward to get more involved.

Outside of those two the cupboard seems very bare (most don’t even have any faith in VDM). It sounds like Artie due to injury will be a way off and Clarke still isn’t ready.

I really don’t see makeshift half forward line with mids working. We might be able to hide one mid but not multiple. Chances are we will role harmes through there who’s skills are pretty average or Macrae and west who don’t have the speed to compliment the 3 talls.

54Bulldog16
10-12-2023, 01:27 AM

Yeah can’t argue with that atm. Would love Darcy in there but how……

54Bulldog16
10-12-2023, 01:30 AM
B: Johannisen - Jones - Darcy
HB: Richards - JOD - Coffield
C: Dale - Libba - Poulter
HF: West - Naughton - Harmes
F: Lobb - JUH - Weightman

R: English - Bont - Treloar

Int: Sanders - Smith - Macrae - Daniel

I think JJ plays best when he plays deepest.

Playing Darcy deep provides cover for Jones when the latter is tracking his opponent up the field.

JOD displays great athletic capability and football smarts. I believe he will fully blossom this year and own CHB.

Dale on the wing is a try-it-and-see, but with a huge upside. His aerobic capacity and skills make it worth considering.

To me, Poulter and Williams are line-ball but Poulter doesn't seem to drift in and out of games as often as Williams.

Harmes was recruited to give us some grunt, which we sorely lacked. I'm reasonably certain he will play.

I like it, and may take this into 2024 some weeks. My only concern would be speed in the back half covering teams like Brisbane. Their half forwards and smalls would be too quick.

Grantysghost
10-12-2023, 08:15 AM
Agree with this, crumbing/pressure forward is my biggest positional concern going into next year. We have our Jamie Elliott type in Weightman but need to find a Bobby Hill type equivalent. Need someone like Artie Jones, O’Driscoll to standup. Hope he proves me wrong but feel like we’ve been down this unsuccessful path with VDM before. Feel like Gallagher is another with speed that could play the role but sounds like we’re experimenting with him higher up the field at the moment

Agree there's a couple of roles we are still thin on the ground.

Small forward
Small / Medium lock down defender
Wings are thin / fringe players
KPD Jones and Keath are veterans I hope Buss comes on this season. Defence concerns me.

The Doctor
10-12-2023, 09:22 AM
my team

B: JJ, L.Jones, Coffield

HB: Dale, JOD, Richards

C: Williams, Libba, Poulter

HF: Jamarra, Bont, Harmes

F: Lobb, Naughton, Flea

R: English, Smith, Treloar

Int: Darcy, Sanders, Macrae, Daniel

sub: West

Go_Dogs
10-12-2023, 09:35 AM
Bont at CHF is an interesting one Doc.

Would love to hear more on how you see him playing the role?

hujsh
10-12-2023, 12:10 PM
I like it, and may take this into 2024 some weeks. My only concern would be speed in the back half covering teams like Brisbane. Their half forwards and smalls would be too quick.

The best way to stop that is to have good pressure around the ground and not allow quick movement to get the ball out the back for the likes of Cameron to get onto.

If we're relying on someone to beat Cameron in a footrace running into goal 9 times out of ten we've already lost no matter who the defender is.

It'll happen a few times a game no matter how good our setup is but if we can minimise those opportunities with team defence then I think that will do more than any individual defender is capable of

That said I too would like 21 Dureya back

Olddog
10-12-2023, 12:13 PM
Haven’t seen too many suggesting Dom Bedendo can force his way into the best 23 but if he can stay fit I think he has a great chance of taking up a role on the wing

hujsh
10-12-2023, 12:17 PM
my team

B: JJ, L.Jones, Coffield

C: Williams, Libba, Poulter

HF: Jamarra, Bont, Harmes

F: Lobb, Naughton, Flea

R: English, Smith, Treloar

Int: Darcy, Sanders, Macrae, Daniel

Bont at CHF is an interesting one Doc.

Would love to hear more on how you see him playing the role?

I'd also be curious how Darcy is used here. I think a lot of us want him in the team but I really wonder how that works with the rotations. Our key defenders play close to 100% so is one of Darcy/Lobb/English/Naughton/JUH always on the bench to keep our 3 tall forward structure intact?

Are Macrae/Sanders rotating with Bont/Harmes and Smith/Treloar through the forwards/midfield?

hujsh
10-12-2023, 12:18 PM
Haven’t seen too many suggesting Dom Bedendo can force his way into the best 23 but if he can stay fit I think he has a great chance of taking up a role on the wing

I'm a convert too Olddog. I was on the delist train but since he's come back and won the 2k I really respect that and think he could be a big surprise this year.

Twodogs
10-12-2023, 01:50 PM
Disclaimer: I'm going to forget a few but here we go

B: Coffield, L.Jones, JJ

C: Williams, Smith, West

HF: Weightman, Jamarra, Daniel

F: Lobb, Naughton, Trealor

Int: Darcy, Sanders, Macrae, Harmes

sub: Poulter

Spots are hard to find. We've got more good players than we've got spots in the team. That's a really good thing. So is the fact that we should have a regular back six that will gel play together most weeks, understand each other's strength and weaknesses the more they play and gel together. We've got depth and coverage for injured players or strategic reasons.

All good signs going into next year IMO

Stevo
10-12-2023, 01:59 PM
Twodogs is Treloar in a forward pocket maximising his running strength? Should he be swapped with the Flea?

Bulldog Joe
10-12-2023, 02:51 PM
Agree with this, crumbing/pressure forward is my biggest positional concern going into next year. We have our Jamie Elliott type in Weightman but need to find a Bobby Hill type equivalent. Need someone like Artie Jones, O?Driscoll to standup. Hope he proves me wrong but feel like we?ve been down this unsuccessful path with VDM before. Feel like Gallagher is another with speed that could play the role but sounds like we?re experimenting with him higher up the field at the moment

While O'Driscoll certainly has the speed we will wait on how that plays out in game smarts as well.

I am very concerned for Artie Jones as he seems to lack the footy nous to go with the athletic attributes. I see more likely to make a contribution in a defensive role. His best VFL efforts where when he went to half back. I would seriously be aiming at the lock down small defender because he does have the athleticism for that role.

Charlie Clarke showed some forward smarts as the year progressed and is the one I think might be the crumbing forward we seek.

meenies
10-12-2023, 07:23 PM
here goes for version 1 of plenty.....

Coffield L Jones Gallagher
Richards Darcy Dale
B Smith Bont Poulter
West Naughton Sanders
Lobb JUH Weightman

English Treloar Libba

Macrae, Daniel, Khamis or JOD, Harmes

I have left out JJ as I don't think he will be ready fitness wise.
I like Freijah, so would not be surprised if I promoted him in later versions of this. And Garcia down back if fit.

GVGjr
10-12-2023, 08:04 PM

Richards Darcy Dale
B Smith Bont Poulter
West Naughton Sanders
Lobb JUH Weightman

English Treloar Libba

I like Freijah, so would not be surprised if I promoted him in later versions of this. And Garcia down back if fit.

No Williams is a touch surprising.

Bullies
10-12-2023, 08:17 PM
We need a samll forward which is why i would like to see Clarke. If Clarke is in the team come Round 1 it means he has done well pre season. He has put on a bit of size and fitness after an injury interupted pre season last year.

Will be hard to see how he gets in but the small forward is the must have these days.

PR0408
10-12-2023, 10:57 PM
While O'Driscoll certainly has the speed we will wait on how that plays out in game smarts as well.

I am very concerned for Artie Jones as he seems to lack the footy nous to go with the athletic attributes. I see more likely to make a contribution in a defensive role. His best VFL efforts where when he went to half back. I would seriously be aiming at the lock down small defender because he does have the athleticism for that role.

Charlie Clarke showed some forward smarts as the year progressed and is the one I think might be the crumbing forward we seek.

Agree on both points. Though I think Artie does have good footy nous just lacked confidence with his size difference in attack. Probably a little confused at times also. His vfl game against Willie when switched to defence halfway through third quarter was very exciting to watch and I believe could play that role at AFL level. Will need to improve his 1on 1contest though.
On Clarke he seems our most natural forward. Kicked some great goals in the second half of the season, what stood out more was kicking inside 50m and his ability to create goals for others. His tackling also got better as the year got on. One tackle that stood out was the final against box hill chased 3 players down as they transitioned the ball and caused the turn over resulting in a Sam Darcy goal. Bevo was delighted with it, I was at the bench when Bevo come down to chat to Clarke as he come to the bench. So I also have high hopes for Clarke. Though him getting super fit is the key. It?s the toughest position on the ground.

Rocco Jones
10-12-2023, 10:58 PM
My major concern maximising talent wise is how we use Macrae/Baz/Adz. We have Bont and Libba taking up a lot of CBAs, we struggle without them there. Others will go in at times as well. It means one of the trio will see v limited CBAs week to week and another will be will pinch hit a bit. What do we do with them?

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-12-2023, 11:12 PM
My major concern maximising talent wise is how we use Macrae/Baz/Adz. We have Bont and Libba taking up a lot of CBAs, we struggle without them there. Others will go in at times as well. It means one of the trio will see v limited CBAs week to week and another will be will pinch hit a bit. What do we do with them?

For all our much feted midfield the results over the past two years hasn’t been evident. Time to share the load now with the recruitment
of Harmes and Sanders and by playing Macrae alternating with Bailey Smith in the midfield. Bont could become another Petracca by spending more time forward as should Treloar being both proven goal-kickers. Time to share the load without the over reliance on Bont
and Libba.

Rocco Jones
11-12-2023, 09:34 AM
For all our much feted midfield the results over the past two years hasn’t been evident. Time to share the load now with the recruitment
of Harmes and Sanders and by playing Macrae alternating with Bailey Smith in the midfield. Bont could become another Petracca by spending more time forward as should Treloar being both proven goal-kickers. Time to share the load without the over reliance on Bont
and Libba.

Yep, I hear you. Is Adz a midfield goal kicker or a player who can offer something when actually forward? Would be great if he could offer abit there consistently. What do Macrae and/or Baz do when not forward? I think one of those would have to play primarily out of the CBAs or both share load a bit.

Axe Man
11-12-2023, 10:46 AM

Richards Darcy Dale
B Smith Bont Poulter
West Naughton Sanders
Lobb JUH Weightman

English Treloar Libba

Have I missed something? Why would JJ not be ready, he's not injured as far as I am aware?

Bulldog Joe
11-12-2023, 10:49 AM

Richards Darcy Dale
B Smith Bont Poulter
West Naughton Sanders
Lobb JUH Weightman

English Treloar Libba

I really can't come up with a team as there are too many to fit in.

Didn't know there was any issue with JJ fitness wise
Bailey Williams probably ahead of Poulter.
Would definitely have JOD ahead of Khamis
Think Ryan Gardner gets overlooked by too many as he is the best defending tall when fit. He had lots of interruptions last year fitness wise, but was high up in the B&F in 22

I do like your effort.

GVGjr
11-12-2023, 10:50 AM
Have I missed something? Why would JJ not be ready, he's not injured as far as I am aware?

He's missed a couple of sessions plus has mainly been in the rehab group. I don't believe it's anything serious.

hujsh
11-12-2023, 10:57 AM
I really can't come up with a team as there are too many to fit in.

Which sounds good on paper and usually gets us excited in the pre-season. But I think the problem we have/have had the last couple of years is we have too many to fit in some positions and a real dearth of quality in other positions.

That's why I'm reaching and trying to include players like Bedendo and Clarke in some of my teams while other are trying to get Smith or Treloar (even West I think I saw in one team) on the wing and stacking the forward line with mids. Either we innovate and get buy in to use the on paper quality we have to it's full potential or we stagnate and seem to underperform again.

Rocco Jones
11-12-2023, 11:53 AM
Say we are at full strength, rough estimates of our CBAs? There's 300% CBA time to share around...

- Bont av 81% this year and went alright! Would be cool to be able to see him go fwd a bit like Trac but we really struggle without him there (and he is the best player in the league playing in the middle)
- Libba av 78% and needs to play in the middle if he is healthy enough to play. Like Bont, we really struggle without him in the guts

So that leaves 140% for the rest and we have Adz, Macrae, Baz, Sanders, possibly Daniel (av 19%) and Harmes (if tagging there).

How do we split that time up? Where do Adz, Macrae and/or Baz play when not inside? What about Sanders (seems like he is in)? That quartette would have to spend majority of combined time outside the middle. I think footy is changing with inside mids. If they aren't guns/playing majority of time inside, they are a bit like a 2nd ruck. Need to offer actual value elsewhere.

I think us playing small forwards who aren't suited to it/just trying to fit in all the mids/mids really unhappy to play there is a big concern in terms of maximising our talent. It's a bit reverse Moneyball atm for mine. We have a lot of 'names' to fit in, but are we filling in actual roles to help the side win footy games or looking good on paper?

bulldogtragic
11-12-2023, 01:53 PM
Say we are at full strength, rough estimates of our CBAs? There's 300% CBA time to share around...

- Bont av 81% this year and went alright! Would be cool to be able to see him go fwd a bit like Trac but we really struggle without him there (and he is the best player in the league playing in the middle)
- Libba av 78% and needs to play in the middle if he is healthy enough to play. Like Bont, we really struggle without him in the guts

So that leaves 140% for the rest and we have Adz, Macrae, Baz, Sanders, possibly Daniel (av 19%) and Harmes (if tagging there).

How do we split that time up? Where do Adz, Macrae and/or Baz play when not inside? What about Sanders (seems like he is in)? That quartette would have to spend majority of combined time outside the middle. I think footy is changing with inside mids. If they aren't guns/playing majority of time inside, they are a bit like a 2nd ruck. Need to offer actual value elsewhere.

I think us playing small forwards who aren't suited to it/just trying to fit in all the mids/mids really unhappy to play there is a big concern in terms of maximising our talent. It's a bit reverse Moneyball atm for mine. We have a lot of 'names' to fit in, but are we filling in actual roles to help the side win footy games or looking good on paper?

Super coach a little it seems. Based on last season anyway. Hope that changes and hopefully Clarke and maybe another small forward can force the change to have 6 natural forwards up there. I’m most worried about Macrae unless he can reinvent himself somewhere else ala Matty Boyd.

Mantis
11-12-2023, 02:41 PM

Looking good on paper.

If the last 2 years have taught us anything it's that filling the forward line with mids who don't hit the scoreboard or chase isn't going to help you beat the good teams.

Rocco Jones
11-12-2023, 02:56 PM
Looking good on paper.

If the last 2 years have taught us anything it's that filling the forward line with mids who don't hit the scoreboard or chase isn't going to help you beat the good teams.

Yep. I think footy is going away from that in general too anyway. It's why I don't see going with Nick Watson as such a risk and why maybe going a Sanders is a bigger risk than ever (not going him specifically, seems like a gun). Players who are limited to being inside mids really need to have as many CBAs as possible. Do Baz, Adz and/or Macrae offer us much at all outside of time as inside mids? They aren't just 'resting' there, looks like at least about half of their TOG will be non-CBA/inside mid.

GVGjr
11-12-2023, 04:08 PM
Looking good on paper.

In the same time Brisbane have done well and their list and best 22 have some genuine mid sized forwards who occasionally help out in the midfield. We can't be playing midfielders there unless they're capable of kicking goals.

yourmate
11-12-2023, 05:51 PM
The first thing I hope we do is put this Macrae at HFF experiment in the bin. I know he drifts up to the stoppage after the centre bounce to create an extra but I think this hurts us more than helps us. He's no threat inside F50 so if I was the opposition coach I'd just instruct his opponent to let him go up to the stoppage and sit in front of Naughton and Jamarra to create an outnumber in our F50. So in my opinion it leaves us with one of two options:

1. We move him back to a full time winger - He played on the wing for the first few years as a winger and did reasonably well. He generally makes good decisions and I think he'd give us good delivery going inside F50. The only downside to this could be his defensive work rate.

2. We move Bont to HFF (not necessarily permanently) and put Macrae back on the ball. The upside of this is Bont is a significant threat inside F50 and could create some serious headaches for the defense. I don't think we lose too much in the midfield if Macrae (or Smith) start in there over Bont, but I think we have significant upside with Bont inside F50 over them.

So with that in mind, I'll throw a bit of a different starting lineup which I'm happy for you all to critique.

Coffield Jones JJ
Richards JOD Dale
Macrae Libba Williams
Bont JUH West
Lobb Naughton Weightman

English Treloar Smith

Interchange: Daniel Khamis Sanders Harmes

I think Darcy is in our best 22 but I'd much rather him play a month straight in the VFL before coming into AFL. I think his body is still a year off being AFL ready but I'd be happy for him to come in if his form demands it.

PR0408
11-12-2023, 10:57 PM
Was enjoyable watching this afternoon’s session. Good to see a few supporters there also.
Our running this pre season seems to be a lot more of a focus than last few season its going to hold us in good stead in those tighter games.

The two players that stand out the most are Darcy and Lobb both taking some great contested marking around the ground during match sim drills. Our ball movement also seems it going to be a bit quicker and direct.
I concur on what a few have said about sander. Looks a class act tough and skilful and very level headed. Not sure how early he plays but will play a fair bit of senior footy next year. Not sure if we will see any of the other 4 drafted but all look promising especially Croft. He can be Darcy Moore mark 2 no doubt.
The 3 draftees from last year have all progressed buss looking fitter and stronger it’s his one on one defending that’s my only concern but that will come.
gags will play 10 plus senior games and with a bit of confidence could become an important player for us.
Now with Clarke I’m confused with some of the reports because every time I watch him he is just about the hardest runner on the ground. He can be that high half fwd in the brad close mould for us. Gets up the ground pushes back hard and will put great pressure on to lock it in. One thing that also has stood out at training which I noticed last year in vfl games he does a lot of blocking and bullocking work against the key defenders to help them
lead and get space. The game isn’t also ways about possessions. Anyway his role is something out team needs desperately and I think he can be the one if he consistently to have a strong pre season.
of the senior group CD and Treloar stood out with the work rate and voice Libba also being libba.

The list is in a pretty good spot, competition for spots will be hot & its building in the right direction. Stay healthy and we play finals consistently over next few seasons.

Cleary Jones Richard’s
Dale Darcy JJ
Pouter Bont Williams
West Jamarra Treloar
Cody naughts lobb
English libba smith
harmes coffield sanders cd Clarke

dog town
12-12-2023, 05:39 AM

Perfectly captured my main concern for this year. The guys with versatility are the ones we don’t really want to move.

Sedat
12-12-2023, 12:34 PM

If we over-rely on Bont yet again (and Libba) in 2024 to be our emergency break glass options at stoppage/clearances, that is a savage indictment on the rest of the senior core of midfielders. They have no choice but to raise their games, especially to allow Bont to move forward more and become as destructive a player on the scoreboard as Petracca and even prime 2017-2020 Dusty.

What is the point of Macrae, Treloar, Smith (and also bringing in Harmes) if they cannot make a significant impact in the midfield and at stoppages? It might sound harsh but it is obvious that we need to be far more agile and far less predictable in our midfield mix, and we must expect/demand far more from the rest of the senior midfield group. Bont and Libba shot the lights out for us in 2023 and it wasn't even good enough to make finals let alone make top 4 and contend for a flag.

Mofra
13-12-2023, 10:27 AM
Harmes plays - we don't target senior players without a specific role in mind.
I still am yet to be convinced by this move, especially with Sanders looking good and West returning in excellent shape

jeemak
13-12-2023, 11:13 AM
I still am yet to be convinced by this move, especially with Sanders looking good and West returning in excellent shape

Injuries and form always play a part. Let's see who puts avoids bad patches in each.

Like others I don't see how being so homogenous in our CBA/ clearance set ups helps us in any way. If the coaching group can't learn the folly of it I'll change my tune on them.

Happy Days
13-12-2023, 12:21 PM

Giving him a game in March because we intended to give him one in the previous October kinda sounds like sunk cost fallacy to me. I’m cool with him not playing and never playing if there’s guys who are better than him.

SquirrelGrip
13-12-2023, 12:58 PM
What's going to be interesting in Round 1, and then particularly for the whole year is where Bont plays. He's an absolute pro with how he prepares but he has missed most of the pre-Christmas training, the period which is always the key preparation for the next year. With this is mind, in Round 1, does he only spend 50% in the middle then increase slowly as the season progresses.

He's no doubt our best player and best mid - the best in the AFL - but I wonder if the team as a whole is better if he mixes his roles for the season? He might still have 50% CBA but could be lethal across half forward and allowed to do whatever he wants. Pavlich, Fyfe, Martin, Petracca, Hird, Goodes ....

mjp
13-12-2023, 01:51 PM
Perfectly captured my main concern for this year. The guys with versatility are the ones we don’t really want to move.

See - it's more like we're scared to move them cos we aren't sure of what the next result will be. The following players should all be attending CBD's most weeks. I've got 16 in my list and wanted to include Naughton.

Bont
Daniel
Liber
Macrae
Coffield
Richards
Dale
B Smith
Poulter
West
Sanders
Weightman
Treloar
Daniel
Harmes
Scott

Sedat
13-12-2023, 02:38 PM
Agree that Harmes will play more often than not, but I actually think this is a good thing for our midfield mix. He is team-oriented and defensive-minded to a fault, and our 2022-2023 midfield mix sorely lacked these types. He is also agile and flexible enough to contribute elsewhere (half-forward, wing) when he is not part of the midfield.

meenies
13-12-2023, 02:51 PM
What's going to be interesting in Round 1, and then particularly for the whole year is where Bont plays. He's an absolute pro with how he prepares but he has missed most of the pre-Christmas training, the period which is always the key preparation for the next year. With this is mind, in Round 1, does he only spend 50% in the middle then increase slowly as the season progresses.

As a left-field suggestion, I would like to see Bont at CHB or a back flank. Particularly when the opposition team starts a run-on (2 goals in a row).

For many games last year Bont seemed to go where he needed to be and many times that was in defence to be an interceptor. A move like this was good for Chris Grant, why not use Bont in this role (part time) as well.

mjp
13-12-2023, 03:32 PM
A move like this was good for Chris Grant, why not use Bont in this role (part time) as well.

You have to remember though, Chris Grant was a forward with the yips - Bont is the best clearance player in the game (and we count on him forward of the ball).

I don't mind it for 5-10 minute stints (in fact, I think it should happen every game for at least a bit of time) but I don't think it's a break glass, stop a run-on solution.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-12-2023, 03:54 PM
With Baz out, Harmes/Sanders become more important.

GVGjr
13-12-2023, 04:04 PM

Possibly Bramble as well. It's never the right time to say this but we could potentially add another player via the LT injury option now.

Grantysghost
13-12-2023, 04:06 PM

Yep get on Sanders for rising star.

hujsh
13-12-2023, 04:43 PM
Possibly Bramble as well. It's never the right time to say this but we could potentially add another player via the LT injury option now.

No stress about not having a slot at the MSD (not that there was any doubt someone would get injured)

Bulldog Revolution
13-12-2023, 04:47 PM

Macraes form becomes critical also

bornadog
13-12-2023, 04:53 PM
Yep get on Sanders for rising star.

I have my doubts on Harmes

GVGjr
13-12-2023, 04:54 PM
Macraes form becomes critical also

Both he and Harmes have looked solid performers in all training sessions.
I think our investment in Sanders by using some picks to move up the order looks just a bit better now as well.

Bulldog Revolution
13-12-2023, 05:17 PM
Both he and Harmes have looked solid performers in all training sessions.
I think our investment in Sanders by using some picks to move up the order looks just a bit better now as well.

The strategy was solid enough to get ahead of the Croft pick and bring in a prospective elite midfielder or small forward now, rather than waiting another year

Grantysghost
13-12-2023, 05:33 PM
Can we blame Skinner reserve?

weltschmerz
13-12-2023, 05:37 PM

Update:
C: Poulter, Liberatore, Williams
F: English, Bont, Treloar
IC: Macrae, Daniel, Harmes, Gallagher

GVGjr
13-12-2023, 09:16 PM
Despite some stutters along the way with Bailey Smith he is still a terrifically talented player and his debut season is as good as I have seen from a draftee from the talent league that I have seen in the red, white and blue. Getting back to that type output was going to be the aim for the 2024 season.

The candidates to pick up some of the Smith midfield time as far as I can think starts with Caleb Daniel, Jack Macrae and James Harmes for our more experienced players then the likes of of our young tyros of Ryley Sanders, Harvey Gallagher, Riley Garcia and a long shot could be Lachlan Bramble.

It will be interesting to see which way we go but it's not like we haven't got a lot of options. We might even bring someone experienced in utilizing the a LTI spot.

Virgin-Dog
13-12-2023, 09:23 PM
Update:
C: Poulter, Liberatore, Williams
F: English, Bont, Treloar
IC: Macrae, Daniel, Harmes, Gallagher
Pretty good prediction I reckon - one of the few changes I’d make is Baker in favour of Scott as sub. Sounds like Scott’s carrying an injury heading into Christmas, and he’d be the next best option as a versatile role player.

Flipper
13-12-2023, 10:12 PM
Think this is our best side:
C: Poulter, Liberatore, William
F:English, Bont, Treloar
IC: Macrae, Daniel, Scott, Darcy
Em: Gallagher, Gardner, Baker

Would like to see Arthur Jones force his way in. Gives us somet some speed and excitement that we otherwise lack. Can see O'Driscoll getting some games this year for the same reason.

Hopefully Gallagher can stay fit and become a regular. Played a cracker in the VFL last year against Sydney.

Warrnambulldog
14-12-2023, 12:09 AM
I guess Smith going down could allow us a list spot through the long term injury list. Can imagine Montgomery, Bianco, Sullivan names would be floated but my preference would be a small forward who can’t just put on pressure but can kick a bag. A player like that would be nice

jeemak
14-12-2023, 03:24 AM
As a left-field suggestion, I would like to see Bont at CHB or a back flank. Particularly when the opposition team starts a run-on (2 goals in a row).

For many games last year Bont seemed to go where he needed to be and many times that was in defence to be an interceptor. A move like this was good for Chris Grant, why not use Bont in this role (part time) as well.

You have to remember though, Chris Grant was a forward with the yips - Bont is the best clearance player in the game (and we count on him forward of the ball).

I don't mind it for 5-10 minute stints (in fact, I think it should happen every game for at least a bit of time) but I don't think it's a break glass, stop a run-on solution.

It puts leadership into an area where it can be a bit shaky. Bont should be given the license to make a call to head back and roll up a defender like Dale or JJ who aren't slouches forward or a Williams on the wing who can go onto the footy (whatever that means these days), with Bont being the seventh defender.

We roll a forward up all the time, rolling an additional player back to play seven at times, or making a change to the defensive six changes things up/ impacts oppositions plans. But it'd be best used occasionally.

And just remember, we had Jason Watts who kicked 44 from twenty games (amazingly) in 1996 to cover Grant! And I can't think of a smoky to pop up in the midfield to cover Bont with such aplomb!

ReLoad
14-12-2023, 09:05 AM
Hopefully this gives Macrae the time back in the middle, thats realistically the ONLY position he can play in our side.

As much as the injury to Baz sucks this is a small silver lining.

Mantis
14-12-2023, 09:45 AM
Hopefully this gives Macrae the time back in the middle, thats realistically the ONLY position he can play in our side.

As much as the injury to Baz sucks this is a small silver lining.

It (midfield) is the only position he can play, but he sucked in that role last year which is why he was forced to pay in an unsuitable spot.

Although I haven't posted my team Macrae wasn't in it before Baz's injury was announced... we need to improve on last year and I'm not sure Macrae can help us do that based on his past 2 years. Will need a big shift in the way he plays his footy, let's see what he is capable of.

Bullies
14-12-2023, 01:43 PM
It (midfield) is the only position he can play, but he sucked in that role last year which is why he was forced to pay in an unsuitable spot.

Although I haven't posted my team Macrae wasn't in it before Baz's injury was announced... we need to improve on last year and I'm not sure Macrae can help us do that based on his past 2 years. Will need a big shift in the way he plays his footy, let's see what he is capable of. I think you will find Macrae played injured a lot last year with his ribs and wasn't able to move as he would have liked. Obviously not the fastest in the team but still one of the smartest. Has the ability to go to where the ball is going to go which makes up for his lack of pace. Is an important link man and when we are up and running he is usually a big part of it.

Harmes will play a tagging/go with role in the mid field so may not play every game.

meenies
14-12-2023, 06:48 PM
Next years match sims will be very interesting to see who we match midfielders against. My hope is that we see three distinct groups rotate through. Then those groups rotate through the centre in real games as groups. Of course mix up a bit so they and opposition don't become complacent.

From that: same types, keep in separate groups, three place rotations.

West, Harmes & Libba. Could do three way rotations centre, bench, forward as good as pressure forwards and some sneaky goals.
Bont, Treloar & Sanders. Explosive out of centre & will kick goals resting forward.
English, Lobb & Darcy. Split time ruck & forward, Darcy forward or back. Minimal bench time.
Macrae, Garcia & Daniel. Not rest as a forward, each better used elsewhere. More bench time than other groups.

Rest of team much the same as others.
Would like games into Gallagher, Jones, Clarke, Freijah & Khamis. I hope the new coaching team, don't just pick last years "normal" lineup as it has not helped us in the past 2 years.

GVGjr
18-12-2023, 12:16 AM
Which players outside of your best 23 or are there some players on the fringes of selection that you think might surprise by the end of Feb? This one is a long shot but if a few things goes his way then Riley Garcia could be in the mix for the round one selection.

PR0408
18-12-2023, 12:23 AM
Which players outside of your best 23 or are there some players on the fringes of selection that you think might surprise by the end of Feb? This one is a long shot but if a few things goes his way then Riley Garcia could be in the mix for the round one selection.

Agree!! I’m a big fan of Garcia. Great agility and speed, with some real toughness. He is my front runner to replace Baz!!

GVGjr
18-12-2023, 12:31 AM
Agree!! I’m a big fan of Garcia. Great agility and speed, with some real toughness. He is my front runner to replace Baz!!

It's a competitive list for the spots Garcia might be able to fill but from what I've seen so far in the preseason training that his best might get him very close.

GVGjr
20-12-2023, 09:18 PM
Largely based on what I've seen at training I'll do another best 23.

Backs:
Johannisen - L.Jones - Coffield
Richards - O'Donnell - Dale

Centres:
English - Bontempelli - Liberatore
Williams - Treloar - Sanders

Forwards:
West - Lobb - Harmes
Ugle-Hagan - Naughton - Weightman

Interchange:
Macrae - Darcy - Daniel - Vandermeer - Gallagher

mjp
20-12-2023, 11:32 PM
Centres:
English - Bontempelli - Liberatore
Williams - Treloar - Sanders

Sanders outside??

Do we need a an actual defender in the back 6 to go with Jones? Obviously I haven't seen Coffield at training...

GVGjr
20-12-2023, 11:44 PM
Sanders outside??

Do we need a an actual defender in the back 6 to go with Jones? Obviously I haven't seen Coffield at training...

He hasn't played there in anything I've seen but I suspect he would adapt to it quickly. With so many wingers it's probably unlikely.

Re Coffield, he looks like he could play on a variety of opponents. He probably offers us a good blend of attack and defence.
Perhaps if we play teams with smaller forward set-ups we might look at someone else but he appears to be ahead of Keath, Cleary, Gardner and Khamis. Given we play Melbourne in round one it might come down to either Coffield, Duryea or Bramble.

doggies ftw
21-12-2023, 12:08 AM
With what I’ve read from training I have my best 22 currently as:

Coffield Jones Richards
Dale JOD JJ

Williams Libba Treloar
English Bont Macrae

Daniel Lobb Harmes
Marra Naughty Cody

West Darcy Sanders Gallagher

——————-

Very happy with the backline, it’s balanced - there’s height and intercept marking in spades, run & elite ball users, versatility too.

Darcy off the bench is a touch tall for my liking in a perfect world but it’s clear he just has to play and we have to make it work, can play across all 3 lines and basically the plan should be every time there’s no injury to sub the least effective one of English, Lobb or Darcy to bring on some run in the last qtr.

Short a genuine winger but should just rotate any combination of Treloar, Macrae, Gags, Sanders, Harmes, Daniel even Bont through the opposite wing to Williams. I like specialist wings but even without Baz we’re still stocked for midfield rotations that we have to fit in the side and I just don’t really see Poulter or Baker as good enough on a wing to take a spot from any of the mids.

Short a genuine small forward but similar to the wings I don’t see any of our options as good enough yet to take a spot so make do with the likes of West, Harmes, Daniel, Gags & Sanders.

It’s a bloody strong side, and there’s genuine options hopefully knocking on the door too. It’s probably not a perfectly balanced side but let’s be honest it’s never going to be. As mentioned it’s maybe one tall too tall and lacking a genuine wing & small forward but the good thing is there’s a few young guys knocking on the door that play those positions, we can’t afford to gift them games but if Clarke, AJ, Poulter, Freijah, Bedendo etc can actually seriously demand a spot on form at some stage this year and force their way into the side they all fill those needs.

Plenty of competition for spots too which is the main thing.

Bulldog4life
21-12-2023, 01:35 PM
He hasn't played there in anything I've seen but I suspect he would adapt to it quickly. With so many wingers it's probably unlikely.

Re Coffield, he looks like he could play on a variety of opponents. He probably offers us a good blend of attack and defence.
Perhaps if we play teams with smaller forward set-ups we might look at someone else but he appears to be ahead of Keath, Cleary, Gardner and Khamis. Given we play Melbourne in round one it might come down to either Coffield, Duryea or Bramble.

I liked what I saw of Bramble last year in the VFL. Wouldn't be surprised if he takes over from Dureya. More pace too.

Critter
21-12-2023, 02:37 PM
We are having debate on Woof as to who is our best option at CHB. Most teams will most likely go in with two key forwards and I think it?s fair to say that Liam Jones will pick up the oppo?s biggest, strongest forward. Our challenge then is to figure out which Bulldog KPDs is best suited to handle the other forward.

These are my best guesses as to who will be the key-position forwards for each team:

Adelaide
Carlton
Essendon
Geelong
GWS
Melbourne
PA
St Kilda
WCE

Fogarty/Walker
Curnow/McKay
Wright/Langford
Cameron/Hawkins
Riccardi/Hogan
Petty/Van Rooyen
Marshall/Dixon
King/Membrey
Darling/Allen

Brisbane
Collingwood
Freo
GCS
Hawthorn
NM
Richmond
Sydney

Hipwood/Daniher
Mihocek/Cox
Treacy/Amiss
King/Lukosius
Lewis/ Nash
Larkey/Zurhaar
Lynch/Koschitzke
Armartey/McDonald

The players with bolded names are the forwards I guess who Liam Jones would pick up (bigger bodies). One of JOD, Alex Keath or Ryan Gardner would need to be able to handle the other forwards. Namely:

Fogarty Curnow Langford Cameron Riccardi Van Rooyen Marshall Membrey
Allen Hipwood Mihocek Amiss Lukosius Nash Zurhaar Koschitzke McDonald

I believe that both Keath or Gardner would struggle against all of the above in one-on-one contests, excepting perhaps Nash, & Koschitzke. I think JOD would be a good chance of at least breaking square against half of them.

Accordingly, I see the argument coming down to whether you want Keath or Gardner as a third tall or would you prefer Coffield or Darcy, or both, in your 23.

bornadog
21-12-2023, 03:00 PM
We are having debate on Woof as to who is our best option at CHB. Most teams will most likely go in with two key forwards and I think it?s fair to say that Liam Jones will pick up the oppo?s biggest, strongest forward. Our challenge then is to figure out which Bulldog KPDs is best suited to handle the other forward.

These are my best guesses as to who will be the key-position forwards for each team:

Adelaide
Carlton
Essendon
Geelong
GWS
Melbourne
PA
St Kilda
WCE
Fogarty/Walker
Curnow/McKay
Wright/Langford
Cameron/Hawkins
Riccardi/Hogan
Petty/Van Rooyen
Marshall/Dixon
King/Membrey
Darling/Allen
Brisbane
Collingwood
Freo
GCS
Hawthorn
NM
Richmond
Sydney

Hipwood/Daniher
Mihocek/Cox
Treacy/Amiss
King/Lukosius
Lewis/ Nash
Larkey/Zurhaar
Lynch/Koschitzke
Armartey/McDonald

The players with bolded names are the forwards I guess who Liam Jones would pick up (bigger bodies). One of JOD, Alex Keath or Ryan Gardner would need to be able to handle the other forwards. Namely:

Fogarty Curnow Langford Cameron Riccardi Van Rooyen Marshall Membrey
Allen Hipwood Mihocek Amiss Lukosius Nash Zurhaar Koschitzke McDonald

I believe that both Keath or Gardner would struggle against all of the above in one-on-one contests, excepting perhaps Nash, & Koschitzke. I think JOD would be a good chance of at least breaking square against half of them.

Accordingly, I see the argument coming down to whether you want Keath or Gardner as a third tall or would you prefer Coffield or Darcy, or both, in your 23.

Great analysis Critter.

Just goes to show it will be tough if we lose Jones at any stage. In 2022, Gardner was top 5 for spoils in the AFL. This year he had more injuries than he should have and never gained any form, so if he can capture some form, I still think he can hold down CHB. I hope JOD proves me wrong, but hate to rely on such an inexperienced player

mjp
21-12-2023, 03:17 PM
Most teams will most likely go in with two key forwards and I think it?s fair to say that Liam Jones will pick up the oppo?s biggest, strongest forward.\.

Wont Jones just take the deepest tall?

I know what you're saying about biggest/strongest but Jones doesn't really play that way...he plays the deepest...

So - as the players from the oppo roll-up and back and reset their starting positions, Jones will hand over to 'the player to be named later'...

Stevo
21-12-2023, 03:27 PM
Im mainly going off the reports from G, Smads, Doc and Critter (great name)

B Richards Jones Coffield
HB Dale O'Donnell Johannisen
C Williams Bontempelli Poulter
HF Sanders Lobb West
F Marra Naughton Weightman
R English Liberatore Treloar
I Daniel, Harmes, Macrae, Darcy, Gallagher

mjp
21-12-2023, 04:06 PM
Backs:
Talls - Jones, Keath
Medium - Richards, Dale, Coffield
Small - JJ

Rotation: LDM

Rucks: English.
Inside Mids: Bont, Treloar, Liber
Rotators: Sanders, Macrae

Outside Mids: Williams, Baker (Rotation will come from the inside group + forwards).

Tall Forwards: Naughton, Jamarra, Lobb (Ruck support)
Medium Forwards: Daniel (highest as the 5th), Harmes
Small Forwards: Weightman
Rotator: Scott

Lucky:
LDM - I know he's been training as a forward but just can't find a spot if Harmes is to play. And Bevo tends to play him if he is fit.

Unlucky:
O'Donnell - I think there's two spots between him, Keath and Coffield...tend to think we start with Keath.
Darcy - Think back is his best chance.
Gallagher - Think back is his best chance...not sure what it is with all the mid time.
Duryea - Still think he probably plays most weeks. I selected JJ in his spot but we'll see.

hujsh
21-12-2023, 04:15 PM
Backs:
Talls - Jones, Keath
Medium - Richards, Dale, Coffield
Small - JJ

Rotation: LDM

Rucks: English.
Inside Mids: Bont, Treloar, Liber
Rotators: Sanders, Macrae

Outside Mids: Williams, Baker (Rotation will come from the inside group + forwards).

Tall Forwards: Naughton, Jamarra, Lobb (Ruck support)
Medium Forwards: Daniel (highest as the 5th), Harmes
Small Forwards: Weightman
Rotator: Scott

Lucky:
LDM - I know he's been training as a forward but just can't find a spot if Harmes is to play. And Bevo tends to play him if he is fit.

Unlucky:
O'Donnell - I think there's two spots between him, Keath and Coffield...tend to think we start with Keath.
Darcy - Think back is his best chance.
Gallagher - Think back is his best chance...not sure what it is with all the mid time.
Duryea - Still think he probably plays most weeks. I selected JJ in his spot but we'll see.

Baker is an interesting one. Most people tend to have Poulter, a regular mid or a bolter ahead of him. In fact I think this is the first team I've seen him in.

Aside from Scott who do you see rotating on the wing in this team?
Do you see Harmes and Daniel getting time in the middle?

bornadog
21-12-2023, 04:18 PM
B: JJ Jones Coffield
HB: Dale Keath Richards
C: Williams Bontempelli Poulter
HF: Sanders JUH VDM
F: Lobb Naughton Weightman
R: English Liberatore Treloar
I: Daniel, Harmes, Macrae, JOD

Keath in for round one only because track watches (doc) has impressed more than Gardner

lemmon
21-12-2023, 04:26 PM
My first crack at it is:

FB: Dale - Jones - Coffield
HB: JOD - Gardner - Richards
Centres: Williams - Libba - Poulter
HF: Daniels - Lobb - Harmes
FF: Weightman - Naughton - Marra
Rucks: English - Bont - Treloar
Interchange: Sanders - Macrae - JJ - Gallagher - Scott (sub)

There are some key selection battles this year:
-I've gone for Harmes over West in that pressure forward spot but Laith is in that discussion as well
-I'd play Darcy over Lobb as the third tall forward and ruck, but Lobb deserves first crack after his end to 2023 and strong pre-season. I just don't see how you can play Darcy in the same side as our three big forwards
-I'd give Gallagher first crack ahead of Scott in that outside utility role, purely because I think he brings some of the leg-speed we lack and I really like what I saw at Footscray. Think he has gun potential, so get him in there
-Sanders playing the Smith role of 2023, I want him putting the footy inside 50
-Gardner over Keath whose lack of leg speed out the back is a big concern, JOD in there as the supporting third-tall

I think there are some obvious holes in the list when you start to put it together - namely the lack of a shutdown small back and the pressure small forward, but it's still a strong 22. I think there should be some natural progression in our kids that'll push things on from 2023.

SquirrelGrip
21-12-2023, 05:02 PM
Our wings are what worries me. Williams is a lock, but I'm not sure Baker and Poulter are up to it, so do we go an untried Bedendo, Gallagher, Freijah, Jones or do we rotate a mid Macrae, Treloar, Sanders, Daniel, Harmes, Garcia? Or do we bring up a half back Dale, Johannisen, Richards, Coffield? Or something else?

Here are opposition wings (my best guess or if I couldn't guess, the Herald Sun's 2024 predicted Round 1 team), with the ones that concern me bolded.

Adelaide
Carlton
Essendon
Geelong
GWS
Melbourne
PA
St Kilda
WCE

Soligo/Hinge
O Hollands / Acres
X Duursma/Cox
Holmes/Blicavs
Kelly/Cumming
Hunter/Langdon
Drew/Wines
Hill/Henry
Gaff/Hunt

Brisbane
Collingwood
Freo
GCS
Hawthorn
NM
Richmond
Sydney
McLuggage/Fletcher
Sidebottom/J Daicos
Aish/Young
Anderson/Ellis
Nash/Amon
Scott/Stephens
Ross/McIntosh
Gulden/Florent

Axe Man
22-12-2023, 10:39 AM
LOOKS GOOD ON PAPER: AN EARLY LOOK AT THE WESTERN BULLDOGS? BEST 22 IN 2024 (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/12/21/looks-good-on-paper-an-early-look-at-the-western-bulldogs-best-22-in-2024/)

The Western Bulldogs will enter 2024 with high expectations.

Many pundits believe they have one of the most talented lists on paper, a list which underachieved in 2023 to narrowly miss finals.

In defence, there are plenty of questions to be asked.

Does Sam Darcy start immediately? Is Ryan Gardner an integral part of the backline? Should Alex Keath play?

The Bulldogs fans we canvassed for this assignment were somewhat divided when it came to the Dogs? defence, with some opting for Darcy as a certain starter and others believing he should earn his spot in the team.

We feel, provided he puts on some size this off-season, that his raw ability and upside lands him a starting position.

Liam Jones is the clear No.1 key defender at The Kennel and James O?Donnell should be given time to develop in the seniors, with that pair ahead of Gardner and Keath.

Recruit Nick Coffield is expected to slide straight into the team, or at least make his way in early, while Bailey Dale and Ed Richards are absolute locks on the half-back flanks.

The midfield is basically set. Or is it?

Captain and superstar Marcus Bontempelli leads the way and is ably supported by Tom Liberatore.

Adam Treloar will be around the fringes while spending some time forward, Caleb Daniel could start forward but is equally as effective in defence or through the midfield.

Bailey Williams and Jason Johannisen could well hold down the wing slots, but there will likely be rotation through there.

The sticking point is Jack Macrae and where Luke Beveridge decides to play him. Most Doggies fans believe he is best suited in amongst the action as opposed to a periphery role across half-forward.

We feel the same way and believe Macrae is a genuine midfield starter.

Draftee Ryley Sanders is expected to have an immediate impact and Melbourne premiership player James Harmes should play plenty of senior footy.

Bailey Smith has not been considered due to the ACL injury that is expected to sideline him for the majority of next year.

The forward line looks in very good shape, led by multi-year money man Aaron Naughton and the enormously talented Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.

Periphery players like Treloar and Daniel can impact around 50, Rory Lobb is the third marking option and Cody Weightman is the small who can play taller.

The small forward depth comes in the form of Anthony Scott and Rhylee West who both will be banging down the door to start.

There are a number of positions that are still up for grabs across the 22 (plus the sub), with the likes of Taylor Duryea, Caleb Poulter, Dom Bedendo, Luke Cleary and Arthur Jones.

SEE THEIR BEST 22 BELOW

B: N.Coffield, L.Jones, J.O?Donnell
HB: B.Dale, S.Darcy, E.Richards
C: B.Williams, T.Liberatore, J.Johannisen
HF: A.Treloar, A.Naughton, C.Daniel
F: R.Lobb, J.Ugle-Hagan, C.Weightman
Fol: T.English, M.Bontempelli, J.Macrae
Int: A.Scott, R.Sanders, J.Harmes, R.West, O.Baker (sub)
EMG: T.Duryea, C.Poulter, R.Gardner, D.Bedendo

Overall thoughts: On paper, things stack up fairly well for the Bulldogs.

We?re not quite as bullish as Kane Cornes is when it comes to their list, but surely it?s good enough to play finals again.

It feels like there are some absolute locks but a lot of positions are well up for grabs.

Things have changed markedly off-field in terms of Beveridge?s coaching department which indicates there could potentially be an alteration in game plan.

But the playing personnel is largely the same, aside from a few recruits and draftees, and the fortunes of the club will rely on those who Beveridge selects each week.

There?s no doubting the talent at the Whitten Oval. They just need to put it all together so they can return to contending at the pointy end once again.

Olddog
22-12-2023, 11:56 AM
Pretty much in agreement with your thoughts on the best 22 Axeman with a couple of small changes for me. Would definitely have Taylor Duryea on the bench instead of Anthony Scott and as per previous post I am pretty keen on Dom Bedendo if he gets through the full pre-season unscathed from a injury perspective - he would be in before Oscar Baker for mine.

Axe Man
22-12-2023, 12:03 PM
Pretty much in agreement with your thoughts on the best 22 Axeman with a couple of small changes for me. Would definitely have Taylor Duryea on the bench instead of Anthony Scott and as per previous post I am pretty keen on Dom Bedendo if he gets through the full pre-season unscathed from a injury perspective - he would be in before Oscar Baker for mine.

Not my thoughts Olddog, it's from SEN.

mjp
22-12-2023, 01:07 PM
Baker is an interesting one. Most people tend to have Poulter, a regular mid or a bolter ahead of him. In fact I think this is the first team I've seen him in.

Aside from Scott who do you see rotating on the wing in this team?
Do you see Harmes and Daniel getting time in the middle?

I just think Baker (vs Poulter):
- Runs better
- Kicks it better
- Has the capacity to play at half-back

Additional wing support:
- OK. So in my world I would run a 2x Bench/8x on-field rotation (I am not including Scott).
- Bench: Sanders and Macrae.
- On-field: 3x IMIDS (Bont, Treloar, Liber), 2x OMIDS (Williams, Baker), 3x Forwards (Daniel, Weighman, Harmes).

Basically just run a rotate and replace system but:
- Macrae and Liber only play inside.
- Baker only plays wing.

So essentially from the starting line-up, if Liber comes and Sanders is next up, he rolls inside. Then if Daniel comes next, Macrae would go inside and push Bontempelli forward etc.

You simply can't have preset rotations in 2024...it's gotta be roll and go and let the S+C coaches call the numbers based on load. Clear mandate (of course) for who is on-field in the last 5 minutes of games.

mjp
22-12-2023, 01:10 PM
SEE THEIR BEST 22 BELOW

B: N.Coffield, L.Jones, J.O?Donnell
HB: B.Dale, S.Darcy, E.Richards
C: B.Williams, T.Liberatore, J.Johannisen
HF: A.Treloar, A.Naughton, C.Daniel
F: R.Lobb, J.Ugle-Hagan, C.Weightman
Fol: T.English, M.Bontempelli, J.Macrae
Int: A.Scott, R.Sanders, J.Harmes, R.West, O.Baker (sub)
EMG: T.Duryea, C.Poulter, R.Gardner, D.Bedendo

Yeah - good one. We're playing Melbourne and need a matchup for Pickett.

Who's going to do that? Every oppo team has a dangerous small and we can't name a 'best 22' without one.

Sorry for including your name in the post Axe - I know it's not your team but for goodness sake, we need to have SOME structure.

bornadog
22-12-2023, 03:25 PM

Who's going to do that? Every oppo team has a dangerous small and we can't name a 'best 22' without one.

Sorry for including your name in the post Axe - I know it's not your team but for goodness sake, we need to have SOME structure.

Those guys highlighted are backline - 191cm, 199cm, 197cm - CHB Darcy 206cmn, and Ed and Dale 188cm and don't play small - Pickett will have a ball

lemmon
22-12-2023, 04:22 PM

Who on the list is 'that guy' though? Duryea has been over his career, but looked borderline done last year. Does Richards have to do it? I hope not considering he's our best intercept player. I think JJ is not a bad defender but we lost a lot without his dash last year when he was out of the side so I can't see us asking him to be the accountable small back.

Completely agree that we need a first-choice small defender, but I look at our list and don't see one

mjp
22-12-2023, 04:23 PM
Who on the list is 'that guy' though? Duryea has been over his career, but looked borderline done last year. Does Richards have to do it? I hope not considering he's our best intercept player. I think JJ is not a bad defender but we lost a lot without his dash last year when he was out of the side so I can't see us asking him to be the accountable small back.

Completely agree that we need a first-choice small defender, but I look at our list and don't see one

JJ was making a good fist of it last year. He simply HAS to do it...otherwise we need to:

1/. Play Duryea.
2/. Abandon thoughts of Gallagher as a mid and play him there.

I'm not sure there's a 3.

SquirrelGrip
22-12-2023, 04:37 PM
- Runs better
- Kicks it better

Additional wing support:
- OK. So in my world I would run a 2x Bench/8x on-field rotation (I am not including Scott).
- On-field: 3x IMIDS (Bont, Treloar, Liber), 2x OMIDS (Williams, Baker), 3x Forwards (Daniel, Weighman, Harmes).

- Baker only plays wing.

So essentially from the starting line-up, if Liber comes and Sanders is next up, he rolls inside. Then if Daniel comes next, Macrae would go inside and push Bontempelli forward etc.

You simply can't have preset rotations in 2024...it's gotta be roll and go and let the S+C coaches call the numbers based on load. Clear mandate (of course) for who is on-field in the last 5 minutes of games.

Great to read some in depth analysis of our wings, as it is a weakness. Those rotations make sense and increased rotations are probably what we missed last year. I'm still not convinced about Baker. I'm not sure he kicks it better unless you are measuring height as a qualitative measure.

Also do you assume we continue with the half-forward rolling up as an extra mid as we have all through Bevo's tenure? Anyone at the match sims notice if we are making any structural changes there?

bornadog
22-12-2023, 05:28 PM
Great to read some in depth analysis of our wings, as it is a weakness. Those rotations make sense and increased rotations are probably what we missed last year. I'm still not convinced about Baker. I'm not sure he kicks it better unless you are measuring height as a qualitative measure.

Also do you assume we continue with the half-forward rolling up as an extra mid as we have all through Bevo's tenure? Anyone at the match sims notice if we are making any structural changes there?

Nice take by Baker over Poulter

https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1737715521976455327

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-12-2023, 11:18 PM
- Runs better
- Kicks it better

Additional wing support:

- Baker only plays wing.

Love the detail in this MJP.
I don't have any footy tactical nous,so can't add or debate, but I love reading this type of tactical related discussion from those, like yourself Mike, who are.

Bulldog Joe
23-12-2023, 09:00 AM
JJ was making a good fist of it last year. He simply HAS to do it...otherwise we need to:

1/. Play Duryea.

I agree on JJ as the best option and felt his defending had improved a lot prior to injury.

I think he should be the Duryea replacement we talk about at least for 2024.

Has the pace to go with the dangerous smalls and the added ability to provide run and be dangerous to the opposition.

GVGjr
23-12-2023, 02:59 PM

1/. Play Duryea.

Perhaps Bramble could be that option.

mjp
23-12-2023, 03:08 PM
Perhaps Bramble could be that option.

So - I thought about that. I mean, the club got Bramble in to PLAY (that tends to be the plan with mature age recruits from other clubs) and I figured it would be as a back.

The challenge I had with selecting Bramble for that role is I was getting Starcevich vs Hill GF 2023 vibes when I thought about Bramble vs Pickett/Cameron/Ryan etc...

Honestly mate I don't know enough about Bramble to picture him in that role.

Mofra
23-12-2023, 03:14 PM
Hawks fans seem to think he's mi=ore attacked HB/wing type than the guy who can play lockdown small (which is absolutely a critical need for us).
Unless Duryea was carrying something last season, we have JJ perhaps (I don't think he's reinventing himself as a wingman as at age 31) and nobody else. No way we should throw Gallagher to the wolves on one of the game's best small forwards in his debut game.

The only left-field selection I could think of is Baker as he does seem to have the positioning nous but has he spend much time in defence apart from rebounding HB?

GVGjr
23-12-2023, 04:11 PM
So - I thought about that. I mean, the club got Bramble in to PLAY (that tends to be the plan with mature age recruits from other clubs) and I figured it would be as a back.

The challenge I had with selecting Bramble for that role is I was getting Starcevich vs Hill GF 2023 vibes when I thought about Bramble vs Pickett/Cameron/Ryan etc...

Honestly mate I don't know enough about Bramble to picture him in that role.

A couple of things about Bramble are that he is very quick and takes the game on plus he has been used in run with or tagging type roles. We've tended to not select taggers or run with players but I wonder if his selection the moment the SSP window opened is a sign that we might be willing to give it a try every now and then.
The Hawks tried a few players in roles like that and I think they settled more for Maginness.

I might be clutching at straws there and with his shoulder injury and no match sims for him yet it's just a guess.

doggies ftw
23-12-2023, 05:05 PM
Who are even the best lockdown smalls going around these days? They all need to be able to offer something else basically or they just don?t get a game. It?s not as big a need as made out IMO, in reality we?ll just roll a few players through the best small forwards. You defend small forwards as a team, it?s not about the individual match ups. Ed is as good defensively as any, him and JJ can take the quick smalls, Coffield (and Ed) can also play small and take the small forwards who do their damage aerially ie Elliott, Charlie etc

It?d be nice to have another who?s quick and defensive minded who can impact offensively/defensively but we?re not playing a lockdown only type in the modern game, maybe Gallagher could be this guy or Bramble. Really it?s gonna be Ed mainly to start the season, and we?ve got the attacking flankers in JJ & Dale to allow him to do that (whilst also ripping teams on offence himself)

Doc is cooked, should be a break glass in emg type

GVGjr
23-12-2023, 06:28 PM
Who are even the best lockdown smalls going around these days? They all need to be able to offer something else basically or they just don?t get a game. It?s not as big a need as made out IMO, in reality we?ll just roll a few players through the best small forwards. You defend small forwards as a team, it?s not about the individual match ups. Ed is as good defensively as any, him and JJ can take the quick smalls, Coffield (and Ed) can also play small and take the small forwards who do their damage aerially ie Elliott, Charlie etc

It?d be nice to have another who?s quick and defensive minded who can impact offensively/defensively but we?re not playing a lockdown only type in the modern game, maybe Gallagher could be this guy or Bramble. Really it?s gonna be Ed mainly to start the season, and we?ve got the attacking flankers in JJ & Dale to allow him to do that (whilst also ripping teams on offence himself)

Doc is cooked, should be a break glass in emg type

I think it's all about to change given the success of Collingwood with a smaller, quick forward line set-up. Clubs like to follow the leader and the Hawks chased both Ginnavin and Watson to be paired with Breust. Melbourne landing both McAdam and Billings to add to Pickett, Chandler and Spargo. Even the Pies doubled down upgrading Schultz over Ginnavin. Lets not forget GWS have drafted Darcy Jones last year and worked a few deals to land Phoenix Gothard this year with the view of both of them coming in with Toby Greene. The Saints rolled the dice with Lance Collard as well.
If those strategic moves pay off then smaller defenders could become important roles to fill.

doggies ftw
23-12-2023, 07:00 PM
I think it's all about to change given the success of Collingwood with a smaller, quick forward line set-up. Clubs like to follow the leader and the Hawks chased both Ginnavin and Watson to be paired with Breust. Melbourne landing both McAdam and Billings to add to Pickett, Chandler and Spargo. Even the Pies doubled down upgrading Schultz over Ginnavin. Lets not forget GWS have drafted Darcy Jones last year and worked a few deals to land Phoenix Gothard this year with the view of both of them coming in with Toby Greene. The Saints rolled the dice with Lance Collard as well.
If those strategic moves pay off then smaller defenders could become important roles to fill.
That’s true, it’s definitely becoming a big part of a teams offense and it’s something we have to do better too. I’d love another option to take the smalls, my point though is they just have to be able to offer something the other way. I can’t see too many pure lockdown small defenders getting a gig in the modern game, even with the move towards game breaking small forwards.

I still think when it comes to minimising a small forwards impact on the game it’s more of a full defensive effort, compared to key forwards where you play a defender in a negating role to stop them. The best ground level small forwards in the game still will go missing if the supplies not there, more so than a key forward who can make their own luck to an extent. Dry up the supply and defend goal side of the contest better (which we do AWFULLY with our high defensive line), just defend ground level better in general instead of everyone getting sucked into the aerially contest, and also better team defence up the ground too and you’ve won half the battle to keeping the smalls quiet. That’s where our improvement will come with these types, they always catch us out the back because we push so high and get burnt on the fast break, and we defend the ground poorly which leads to small forwards getting on the end of easy ball (moreso than talls) - a small lockdown defender isn’t going to fix this but a better defensive system across the full ground will.

Guys like Greene are a different beast because they have to be defended in the air too - but we have good match ups for this type with Red and hopefully Coffield IMO

Go_Dogs
23-12-2023, 09:58 PM
Could Harmes play as the lock down defender in round one? Maybe not the wheels to go with Pickett, but he’d be determined to get the job done against his old side and may have a few ideas about how to curb his influence.

I’m not that worried about Pickett if I’m being honest. He’s quick and electric, but he often burns the ball and misses shots he should get. It’s more his presence and defensive impact which causes us concern, so maybe getting some blocks and overlap to allow our running defenders some space from him should be more our go?

Hot_Doggies
24-12-2023, 04:19 PM
Isn’t Pickett suspended for round one?

mjp
24-12-2023, 07:28 PM
Isn’t Pickett suspended for round one?

Think of “Pickett” as the name for the 110000 small forwards in the comp. We need someone to defend ‘them’.

Grantysghost
24-12-2023, 07:35 PM
Think of “Pickett” as the name for the 110000 small forwards in the comp. We need someone to defend ‘them’.

Who would you in the perfect would want for that role Mike? If you could choose anyone.

Axe Man
16-01-2024, 03:51 PM
An early look at every AFL club?s best side for the 2024 season (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/an-early-look-at-every-afl-clubs-best-side-for-the-2024-season/news-story/0d65f913aad16ee06caabfd4dab8afb6)

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Coach: Luke Beveridge
Captain: Marcus Bontempelli

BEST 23
FB: B. Dale, L. Jones, E. Richards
HB: L. Vandermeer, S. Darcy, N. Coffield
C: B. Williams, T. Liberatore, J. Macrae
HF: C. Daniel, J. Ugle-Hagan, C. Weightman
FF: R. Lobb, A. Naughton, R. West
F: T. English, M. Bontempelli, A. Treloar
IC: R. Sanders, J. Johannisen, J. O?Donnell, J. Harmes, A Jones (sub)

bornadog
16-01-2024, 04:24 PM
An early look at every AFL club?s best side for the 2024 season (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/an-early-look-at-every-afl-clubs-best-side-for-the-2024-season/news-story/0d65f913aad16ee06caabfd4dab8afb6)

WESTERN BULLDOGS

BEST 23

I can't see Darcy taking CHB

GVGjr
16-01-2024, 04:35 PM

I see a couple of other challenges as well.
Macrae on a wing is questionable
Vandermeer as a back flanker when he is training as a forward makes it doubtful

Grantysghost
16-01-2024, 04:58 PM

No chance. He's too slow, has zero closing speed.

Forward / Ruck.

Grantysghost
16-01-2024, 04:58 PM
I see a couple of other challenges as well.
Macrae on a wing is questionable
Vandermeer as a back flanker when he is training as a forward makes it doubtful

Jacko isn't a winger this team is crap!

SonofScray
16-01-2024, 07:02 PM

WESTERN BULLDOGS

BEST 23

That isn’t especially appealing on paper.

Darcy a starting CHB would be him coming from the clouds.
VDM on the HBF is a concern.
Macrae on a wing not ideal.

Backline looks frail.

Critter
19-01-2024, 04:02 PM
As an academic exercise I have selected a team for round 1, based upon who I think has trained well in the pre-season. Allow me a bit of cheating - I have included English and Treloar as, even though both have had limited training time, they really are walk up starts.

HB: VDM Naughton Dale
C: Poulter Libba Williams
HF: Treloar JUH Harmes
FF: Weightman Darcy Lobb
R: English Bont Richards

Int: Daniel West JOD Sanders
Emerg: Scott

kllay4
19-01-2024, 06:59 PM
HF: Daniel Marra Weightman
F: Lobb Naughton West
I: Macrae Darcy Duryea Sanders

Need a Clarke or A.Jones to stand up as I see our small forward being a hole in the team. Seems as if Darcy and Sanders are having big pre-seasons. Both almost a lock for round 1

bornadog
19-01-2024, 11:50 PM
As an academic exercise I have selected a team for round 1, based upon who I think has trained well in the pre-season. Allow me a bit of cheating - I have included English and Treloar as, even though both have had limited training time, they really are walk up starts.

HB: VDM Naughton Dale
C: Poulter Libba Williams
HF: Treloar JUH Harmes
FF: Weightman Darcy Lobb
R: English Bont Richards

Int: Daniel West JOD Sanders
Emerg: Scott

Has Naughton been training in the backline?

GVGjr
20-01-2024, 12:00 AM

No he hasn't. Had a couple of runs in the midfield today.

To me Critter is calling out what he would like to see and there would be a few that support that sort of line-up.

DadBod
20-01-2024, 01:31 AM
I've got the following:

Coff Jones Dale
Red JOD / Gards JJ

I want Coff and JOD for their ability to read the play. JJ and Red can break lines and Dale can Kick out and overlap run. Jones is obvious.

Baker Libba Poults
Timmy Bont Macrae

I think, from all accounts Bakes and Poults have kept their spot but they're getting pushed from some of the new fellas. Timmy ruck, but Lobb will be primary ruck if Timmy can't get up.

Ads Marra West
Lobb Naughts Flea

Ads for her play making and ability to cover the ground. Marra will be massive this year and Naughts needs to have a big one. West is apparently killing it, and Flea us our best shot for goal.

Sanders Williams Harmes Bedendo

Sub - Scott

If Timmy doesn't get up, Lobb rucks, and Darcy into the fwd line.

Critter
20-01-2024, 10:20 AM

Nah, he played in the midfield on Friday for the Blue team. My difficulty in picking a form team was Sam Darcy. He played a ripper game on Friday and should have kicked 6 goals. And he's been training well.

But he's a forward, so the problem was how to fit him in, as Marra, Lobb and Naughty have all been training well.

In the second quarter, the white team had a few periods where they had control so Naughty spent a bit of time helping out down back. He was great. It brought back memories of just how well he plays there. So placing him at CHB simplified my selection issues in the forward line.

Dogstyler
23-01-2024, 04:11 PM
I will have an early crack at it.

B. Khamis Jones JJ
HB. Dale JOD Richards
C. Poulter Libba Williams
R. English Bont Sanders
HF. Harmes Naughton West
F. Lobb Marra Weightman
Int. Darcy McRae Daniel Treloar
Sub. Scott

Next 5
Coffield Clarke Jones Gags VDM

I?m still a little worried about our pace around stoppage and transition/turnover but not sure the options.
Khamis just ahead of coffield.
The 4 bigs can work especially if Naughts attends some CBA?s and plays CHF. His pressure is elite.
McRae to play the Dunks role, I think we can do it.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-02-2024, 07:54 PM
Wonder how close Gags is. Strong preseason for the most part, appears to have impressed in the camp thus far. Suspect he will get a run in preseason and if he performs well he could be there R1.

kllay4
02-02-2024, 01:21 AM
Exciting times with Gallagher, Clarke, Darcy, Buss (+ Sanders) who other than Darcy all didn't feature last year seeming to be pushing for best 22. Along with additions of Harmes and Coffield, we may very well have a different round 1 side than most of us expect.
From the above group, I'd say Darcy, Sanders, Harmes, Coffield are all in the side, with Clarke and Gallagher battling for the final 22nd and sub spots

Grantysghost
02-02-2024, 08:12 AM
Exciting times with Gallagher, Clarke, Darcy, Buss (+ Sanders) who other than Darcy all didn't feature last year seeming to be pushing for best 22. Along with additions of Harmes and Coffield, we may very well have a different round 1 side than most of us expect.
From the above group, I'd say Darcy, Sanders, Harmes, Coffield are all in the side, with Clarke and Gallagher battling for the final 22nd and sub spots
I was impressed by Busslinger's physique in those training photos. He really looks in good shape and hope he can debut this season.

GVGjr
09-02-2024, 06:22 PM
I don't say this with a lot of confidence and things will no doubt change in the coming weeks but this is how I see the playing list breakdown and who might be in the best 23 for round 1

Please feel free to tell where I'm wrong?

Uninformed
09-02-2024, 06:35 PM
I don't say this with a lot of confidence and things will no doubt change in the coming weeks but this is how I see the playing list breakdown and who might be in the best 23 for round 1

Please feel free to tell where I'm wrong?

Great assessment. Reading it I thought, 'But you've got to play Darcy,' but then I couldn't pick someone other than Lobb to swap out and I think you still have to go with Lobb.

The other was Clarke. I can see the logic with Scott as super sub. because of his versatility.

But I think I would use Clarke as sub. - to come on and perhaps be a game changer - and make use of Harmes' versatility when Clarke goes forward.

GVGjr
09-02-2024, 06:39 PM
Great assessment. Reading it I thought, 'But you've got to play Darcy,' but then I couldn't pick someone other than Lobb to swap out and I think you still have to go with Lobb.

The other was Clarke. I can see the logic with Scott as super sub. because of his versatility.

But I think I would use Clarke as sub. - to come on and perhaps be a game changer - and make use of Harmes' versatility when Clarke goes forward.

I had the same struggles :) Really happy to hear different thoughts though. I've picked Bramble because it's the Melbourne's small forwards I'm most concerned with but we might shuffle a few others around.
Darcy will play a lot of games this year I just don't think in round one we have the right match-ups or a genuine spot for him.

Uninformed
09-02-2024, 06:44 PM
I had the same struggles :) Really happy to hear different thoughts though. I've picked Bramble because it's the Melbourne's small forwards I'm most concerned with but we might shuffle a few others around.
Darcy will play a lot of games this year I just don't think in round one we have the right match-ups or a genuine spot for him.

Have you noticed the defensive capabilities of Bramble at match sim.? Seems he has elite speed.

GVGjr
09-02-2024, 06:59 PM
Have you noticed the defensive capabilities of Bramble at match sim.? Seems he has elite speed.

He hasn't participated in proper match sims but he is ready now and is doing contact work. Based on the drills I've seen I think he's a natural attacking defender and he should be able to play a tagging type role if needed. We really won't know how his kicking stands up until the match sims or intra club games and that was always the knock on him at the Hawks. There doesn't appear to be a lot wrong with it from what I've seen.

Uninformed
09-02-2024, 07:48 PM
He hasn't participated in proper match sims but he is ready now and is doing contact work. Based on the drills I've seen I think he's a natural attacking defender and he should be able to play a tagging type role if needed. We really won't know how his kicking stands up until the match sims or intra club games and that was always the knock on him at the Hawks. There doesn't appear to be a lot wrong with it from what I've seen.

Might it get back to his speed and defense against Duryea's experience and kicking?

Bulldog4life
12-02-2024, 12:36 AM

I am surprised G that you haven't got Bus in the top 30 players after your write ups.

jeemak
12-02-2024, 12:58 AM
Time to have a look at a pre-practice match update:

My original team:

Richards, Jones, JOD
Dale, Darcy, JJ
Williams, Jacko, Smith
Scott, JUH, Treloar

English, Bont, Libba

Sanders, Coffield, Daniel, Harmes

My updated team:

Richards, Jones, JOD
Dale, Darcy, JJ
Williams, Jacko, Harmes
Sanders, JUH, Treloar

English, Bont, Libba

West, Coffield, Daniel, Scott

Sub: McNeil

Smith goes out of the team, obviously, so Harmes is promoted to a wing. Haven't heard much of Scott plus or minus, so he comes out of a HFF where I wanted him to play a relatively defensively minded role, and is replaced by Sanders who is flying from all reports. Scott stays in the 22 for his versatility.

I think we might like McNeil as a sub for pressure and if Sanders is overawed or West is ineffective rotating off the bench.

Defensively I think we'll play the three talls even if others are against it. Being exposed to Darcy and JOD having a bad day worries, if both are selected then we'd be a bit unlucky if both do at the same time but being stuck with one not contributing and not wanting to move Naughton back isn't a great outcome. Coffield might be able to play tall at some point, but getting him playing senior footy is enough of an ask, playing a critical role out of his height range regularly early doesn't sit well with me. Darcy also provides cover for the talls in the forward line and the ruck.

There's a few players unlucky to miss, which is a bloody good thing prior to the start of the season. Not a lot of excuses come to mind when thinking about performance. While we're exposed a little with JOD and Darcy back if they don't take off, we have Keath and Gardner ready to step in.

azabob
13-02-2024, 08:41 AM
Jee, what is the rational behind Darcy at CHB? By all reports he hasn’t been training with the defenders.

Is it based on a pure talent/future viewpoint or the best of the rest type scenario?

GVGjr
13-02-2024, 09:21 AM
On a lot of the training form, Jeemak's suggestions for the best 23 seems to be spot on or at least very close but given our round one opponent is Melbourne I just wonder if we need need 4 tall defenders in Jones, JOD, Darcy and Coffield?
Melbournes taller forwards don't instill a lot of concern for me whereas their smaller forwards could be more of a challenge.
I'd like to see Bramble in the mix as defender on the interchange bench to give us another option.

meenies
13-02-2024, 05:27 PM
here goes nothing!
JJ, L Jones, Coffield
Richards, JOD, Dale
Gallagher, Treloar, Poulter
West, Naughton, Harmes
JUH, Lobb, Weightman
English, Bont, Sanders

Buss, Clarke, Macrae, Libba, Daniel, Scott, Darcy, Williams

5 on bench (one sub) and 3 emergencies

bornadog
13-02-2024, 06:00 PM
My first stab of opening round team

B:
JJ
Jones
JOD

HBF:
Dale
Gardner
Richards

C:
Williams
Treloar
Poulter

HFF:
Harmes
Naughton
Scott

F:
Lobb
JUH
Weightman

Mids
English, Bont, Libba

IC:
Daniel
Duryea
Macrae
Sanders
West

Emergency: Coffield, Baker, Darcy

I am unsure on Coffield and whether Darcy makes the team due to too many talls.

GVGjr
13-02-2024, 06:12 PM
I like the team BAD, I'm not sure we need such a tall defense against Melbourne though and I'm more wary of their smaller and mid sized forwards.
Coffield is an interesting omission, what is your concern there?

GVGjr
13-02-2024, 06:13 PM
here goes nothing!
JJ, L Jones, Coffield
Richards, JOD, Dale
Gallagher, Treloar, Poulter
West, Naughton, Harmes
JUH, Lobb, Weightman
English, Bont, Sanders

Buss, Clarke, Macrae, Libba, Daniel, Scott, Darcy, Williams

5 on bench (one sub) and 3 emergencies

Nice one Meenies. Let's be brave and trim that bench down to 5 :)

bornadog
13-02-2024, 06:25 PM
I like the team BAD, I'm not sure we need such a tall defense against Melbourne though and I'm more wary of their smaller and mid sized forwards.
Coffield is an interesting omission, what is your concern there?

No concerns, more I don't know much about him. See how the practise matches go, and then will decide.

Daniel will also play back, if Melbourne have only a couple of talls.