PDA

View Full Version : AFL 2024 fixture news

GVGjr
29-10-2023, 06:06 PM
How the AFL plans to beef-up its Thursday night blockbuster schedule (https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/afl-fixture-news-how-the-afl-plans-to-beefup-its-thursday-night-blockbuster-schedule/news-story/beef207b2345f74cd954cfc1419d995c)

More Thursday night footy is coming in the future. But how will the AFL navigate the tight turnarounds for players? Get the latest fixture whispers.

The AFLPA will attempt to safeguard the health and fitness of its players despite agreeing to the five-day breaks which allow the league to beef-up its Thursday night schedule.

The league and AFLPA agreed to a new deal as part of the collective bargaining agreement that will see clubs playing a maximum of three five-day breaks each home-and-away season.

It allows the AFL to schedule quality Thursday night games every week of the home-and-away season if it sees fit.

The new $643 million-per-year deal that kicks off next year requires the league to schedule the first 15 rounds with Thursday night football from 2025 onwards.

But a league that scheduled 11 Thursday home-and-away games and a Thursday night final is yet to lock in how many Thursdays will be in the 2024 fixture.

The AFL said when it brokered its TV rights deal it was in ?active discussions? about an earlier start time to Friday night football but new CEO Andrew Dillon is yet to get that deal over the line with Channel 7.

The league is expected to again lock in the first 15 or so rounds of the schedule for clarity then have a floating component to maximise blockbusters in the back-end of the season.

But the new-found flexibility with five-day breaks means the league can ensure the quality of Thursday night football, with the AFL believing big blockbuster games to start a round are important for the momentum and flow of a weekend?s action.

The new rules contained in the AFL CBA will give players the best chance to avoid injuries despite the added strain of multiple five-day breaks.

Those rules include:

Clubs cannot play successive five-day breaks.

A club cannot play a five-day break against a team which has had a seven-day break.

Clubs cannot play off a five-day break after travel to Perth.

WA-based clubs cannot play a home game then be forced into a five-day break if that fixture involves interstate travel.

Teams need at least three weeks between five-day breaks.

There are two options for maximising breaks before or after playing off a five-day break.

A club which is playing off a five-day break must have a six-day break in the previous round and a seven-day break in the next round, or a six-day break in the previous round and a seven-day break in the following round.

There is still discretion to change those protocols based on the rule ?in the AFL?s reasonable opinion is likely to impact on the AFL?s ability to comply with any of its obligations to AFL broadcasters?.

Under that scenario the player union and AFL will ?in good faith consider reasonable changes to the five-day break requirements?.

The league is likely to lock in a 26-week home-and-away season with four games in northern states as part of a split round 1, as well as the second AFL Gather Round early in the year.

GVGjr
29-10-2023, 06:09 PM
I'm not a big fan of Thursday night games but based on discussions I've had with friends they prefer it to the 4.40pm Sunday slots.

How hard will it be for teams with 5 day breaks scattered through the season?

bornadog
29-10-2023, 06:51 PM
delete

GVGjr
29-10-2023, 06:53 PM
Fixed

bornadog
29-10-2023, 06:56 PM
I'm not a big fan of Thursday night games but based on discussions I've had with friends they prefer it to the 4.40pm Sunday slots.

How hard will it be for teams with 5 day breaks scattered through the season?

I don't mind watching Thursday night games, but not keen attending

bulldogsthru&thru
01-11-2023, 09:22 PM
Looks like we're going to be ditched for good Friday again. AFEL going with North and Carlton again. Don't think we'll see it again. Oh well. I wouldn't exactly call it a blockbuster fixture anyway.

jeemak
01-11-2023, 09:42 PM
Looks like we're going to be ditched for good Friday again. AFEL going with North and Carlton again. Don't think we'll see it again. Oh well. I wouldn't exactly call it a blockbuster fixture anyway.

When you have the commentariat telling you it's packed to capacity and there's multitudes of visible empty seats on the screen you figure it's a fix and you move on.

jazzadogs
01-11-2023, 09:43 PM

I don't really want to see it, but it would be interesting to see the crowd numbers if it was carlton v Collingwood. I think Good Friday is an inherently bad timeslot for a blockbuster. I've never been to one of the games because I head away for the long weekend.

As for Thursday night footy - it's purely for tv. Any decent crowds are a bonus - they want eyes on screens, not bums on seats.

ledge
01-11-2023, 10:04 PM
I don't really want to see it, but it would be interesting to see the crowd numbers if it was carlton v Collingwood. I think Good Friday is an inherently bad timeslot for a blockbuster. I've never been to one of the games because I head away for the long weekend.

As for Thursday night footy - it's purely for tv. Any decent crowds are a bonus - they want eyes on screens, not bums on seats.

It’s getting to EPL style now .. all about the viewers, soon they will find a way to have a fake crowd to fill the empty seats by AI

Axe Man
02-11-2023, 10:43 AM
It?s getting to EPL style now .. all about the viewers, soon they will find a way to have a fake crowd to fill the empty seats by AI

Don't the EPL have a Saturday 3pm game TV blackout in the UK to preserve crowds at the lower levels? It's the exact opposite of what the AFL do!

ledge
02-11-2023, 11:04 AM
Don't the EPL have a Saturday 3pm game TV blackout in the UK to preserve crowds at the lower levels? It's the exact opposite of what the AFL do!

Difference is the EPL have the whole world watching so it makes no difference.
AFL doesn’t have that luxury they need viewers in Australia to get bigger deals at Foxtel etc

Axe Man
04-11-2023, 11:34 AM
Apparently we are likely to play Melbourne at the MCG round 1 again. Marvel not available round 1 due to pink concerts that week.

ledge
04-11-2023, 12:11 PM
Both us and them are under so much scrutiny at the moment . The headlines after the game on who loses will be already written.

bornadog
12-11-2023, 01:19 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-sb9c6acAAYDIT?format=jpg&name=900x900

bornadog
12-11-2023, 01:24 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-sgY11bkAAimOm?format=jpg&name=large

bulldogsthru&thru
12-11-2023, 01:28 PM
Hopefully this means we avoid a trip down to Sedat Park.

The Adelaide Connection
12-11-2023, 01:38 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-sgY11bkAAimOm?format=jpg&name=large

Two games in Mt Barker is a bit whack- I know they were super keen to get one in the Barossa but the AFL has now turned it down two years in a row.

I don?t know the ins and outs of it, but I would have liked to see one of the Norwood Oval games at a different SANFL venue. Glenelg would have made sense (striking distance to the Glenelg Main Street, beach and accommodation).

It?s great we are the headliners on Saturday night and the AFL owe us that much. As much as we didn?t deserve it, had we played just about anyone else in last years gather round we probably would have made finals.

ledge
12-11-2023, 05:50 PM
Two games in Mt Barker is a bit whack- I know they were super keen to get one in the Barossa but the AFL has now turned it down two years in a row.

I don?t know the ins and outs of it, but I would have liked to see one of the Norwood Oval games at a different SANFL venue. Glenelg would have made sense (striking distance to the Glenelg Main Street, beach and accommodation).

It?s great we are the headliners on Saturday night and the AFL owe us that much. As much as we didn?t deserve it, had we played just about anyone else in last years gather round we probably would have made finals.
Cats in Adelaide probably means we play them twice and we all know where we will play them the second time last round of the year.

bulldogsthru&thru
12-11-2023, 06:35 PM
Cats in Adelaide probably means we play them twice and we all know where we will play them the second time last round of the year.

I might be guessing but they're listed first in the gather round image so they should be the home team that game!

hujsh
12-11-2023, 07:57 PM
I might be guessing but they're listed first in the gather round image so they should be the home team that game!

Nah there is no home\away considerations for Gather Round. Won't have any implications on if we play them twice and where we play

Flamethrower
12-11-2023, 09:43 PM
Going by last year's gather round only 3 matches were repeated later in the year. Us v Port. GWS v Hawthorn. Richmond v Sydney. The other 6 were stand alone fixtures.

ledge
12-11-2023, 09:46 PM
Let’s hope we don’t play Geelong at Geelong next year then.

Eastdog
12-11-2023, 09:50 PM

Was nice to have got the win down there after 20 years but yeah it has never been a happy hunting ground for us and they had nothing to play for and had a lot of main players missing.

mjp
12-11-2023, 09:59 PM

We're on a streak down there...whatchootalkinbout???

Mantis
13-11-2023, 07:55 AM
We're on a streak down there...whatchootalkinbout???

Hope we never play there again and finish on a high note.

Rocco Jones
13-11-2023, 10:39 AM
We are too perfect a fit to play in Geelong. Vic team without a large supporter base but been decent over last few years. Us and Dees = their main games up there most years.

Eastdog
13-11-2023, 10:50 PM
We are too perfect a fit to play in Geelong. Vic team without a large supporter base but been decent over last few years. Us and Dees = their main games up there most years.

Although each club who goes down there large or small supporter base gets the same allocation of a few 1000 I believe so nearly as good as an interstate game.

bornadog
15-11-2023, 09:35 AM
Round 1 to be split next season. A very early start to the season.

Opening round as follows and the rest of the teams play from March 14

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-6-3j1bcAAun-o?format=jpg&name=medium

Grantysghost
15-11-2023, 09:44 AM
So this is round 0?

I don't get it.

bornadog
15-11-2023, 09:52 AM
So this is round 0?

I don't get it.

they never stop meddling

hujsh
15-11-2023, 10:04 AM
What a terrible way to handle round 1. The teams/fans that play week 1 have an immediately bye just when they've got a taste for it and the teams/fans that play week 2 don't get to participate in the first week of football for the year. And that's most of them. Dumb!

bornadog
15-11-2023, 10:05 AM
Sam Edmund reporting:

Round 1...

Carl-Rich Thu night MCG
Coll-Syd Fri night MCG
Ess- Haw Sat MCG
Geel-StK Sat night GMHBA
Melb-Dogs Sun MCG
Port-WC Sun AO
Freo-Bris Sun Optus

bornadog
15-11-2023, 10:06 AM
What a terrible way to handle round 1. The teams/fans that play week 1 have an immediately bye just when they've got a taste for it and the teams/fans that play week 2 don't get to participate in the first week of football for the year. And that's most of them. Dumb!

The following week will be a full 9 games with bye's coming within the first 7 rounds.

hujsh
15-11-2023, 10:12 AM
The following week will be a full 9 games with bye's coming withing the first 7 rounds.

That's... even worse somehow.

Also why are we the only team listed playing their first game against a team that has already played a match? Can we just not get screwed over by AFL Mickey Mouse BS for 1 year?

chef
15-11-2023, 10:33 AM
Man if this is what the Dillon reign is going to be like the comp is ****ed.

GVGjr
15-11-2023, 10:48 AM
So this is round 0?

I don't get it.

Two games in QLD and two in NSW so you would have to think it's to take advantage of the NRL hosting games in the US.

Grantysghost
15-11-2023, 10:52 AM
Sam Edmund reporting:

Round 1...

Carl-Rich Thu night MCG
Coll-Syd Fri night MCG
Ess- Haw Sat MCG
Geel-StK Sat night GMHBA
Melb-Dogs Sun MCG
Port-WC Sun AO
Freo-Bris Sun Optus

Why do we always cop these guys at the G early. Why not rotate it and have it at Marvel for a change FFS!

Grantysghost
15-11-2023, 10:52 AM
Two games in QLD and two in NSW so you would have to think it's to take advantage of the NRL hosting games in the US.

Urgh ok. Thanks.

Axe Man
15-11-2023, 10:55 AM
Why do we always cop these guys at the G early. Why not rotate it and have it at Marvel for a change FFS!

Marvel unavailable due to Pink concerts that week as I posted earlier in the thread.

Was obviously a Grand Final rematch in 2022, not sure why it has continued into 2023 and 2024.

Grantysghost
15-11-2023, 10:56 AM
Marvel unavailable due to Pink concerts that week as I posted earlier in the thread.

Oh god really. Ha gold. Thanks Axe.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-11-2023, 11:10 AM
Stupid.

I ****ing hate the AFL.

And why would we play Melbourne again? The "rivalry" is fake.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-11-2023, 11:21 AM
Somehow this is even worse than the continual Richmond v Carlton opening match.

bornadog
15-11-2023, 11:24 AM

We agreed with the AFL we should play Pies in opening round every year, but Melbourne hijacked it after the 21 GF saying they should play us in front of their fans. Now we are stuck with it.

Let's hope we smash them

The Underdog
15-11-2023, 12:29 PM

On the upside, we get to play at the MCG at least once next year.

G-Mo77
15-11-2023, 12:44 PM
Wait all off-season to see your team play. AFL only announce 4 games to be played. How ****ing stupid!

The Underdog
15-11-2023, 03:04 PM
Wait all off-season to see your team play. AFL only announce 4 games to be played. How ****ing stupid!

To be fair, that round of games is nearly in February, so it's not like you're waiting longer.

G-Mo77
15-11-2023, 04:10 PM
To be fair, that round of games is nearly in February, so it's not like you're waiting longer.

Play them all a week early then. It's ridiculous to start the season with so many byes and tarnishes "Round 1"

BornInDroopSt'54
15-11-2023, 04:42 PM
So Melbourne play Sydney round one in Sydney, not us.

GVGjr
15-11-2023, 04:46 PM

It appears that our first game is against Melbourne, their first game is against the Swans

The Underdog
15-11-2023, 04:58 PM
Play them all a week early then. It's ridiculous to start the season with so many byes and tarnishes "Round 1"

Oh, I think it’s a ****ing stupid idea. Just saying, we don’t have to wait longer than we normally would.

The Underdog
15-11-2023, 05:01 PM
It appears that our first game is against Melbourne, their first game is against the Swans

So round 1 is followed by round 1/2?

Axe Man
15-11-2023, 05:03 PM

That would be "Opening Round", we still play Melbourne in round "1".

The Underdog
15-11-2023, 07:09 PM
That would be "Opening Round", we still play Melbourne in round "1".

And when is closing round?

Eastdog
15-11-2023, 08:36 PM
If it brought in money they would start a game at midnight :D

EasternWest
15-11-2023, 08:47 PM
If it brought in money they would start a game at midnight :D

Promote this man

Bulldog4life
16-11-2023, 02:29 PM
The AFL are playing these 2 games in Brisbane and Sydney because the NRL 2 opening games will be in the US. Been on the news in Qld.

https://www.espn.com.au/nrl/story/_/id/38170363/nrl-confirms-teams-2024-las-vegas-games-manly-brisbane-south-sydney-rabbitohs-sydney-roosters

bornadog
16-11-2023, 02:36 PM
The AFL are playing these 2 games in Brisbane and Sydney because the NRL 2 opening games will be in the US. Been on the news in Qld.

https://www.espn.com.au/nrl/story/_/id/38170363/nrl-confirms-teams-2024-las-vegas-games-manly-brisbane-south-sydney-rabbitohs-sydney-roosters

Thinking about this, no big deal, and good initiative to promote Footy up North

GVGjr
16-11-2023, 04:02 PM
they never stop meddling

Thinking about this, no big deal, and good initiative to promote Footy up North

Nice pivot. It was mentioned today that both Marvel and the MCG would not be ready to host games that weekend so why not take advantage of the option of playing games in NSW and QLD.

hujsh
16-11-2023, 04:30 PM
Nice pivot. It was mentioned today that both Marvel and the MCG would not be ready to host games that weekend so why not take advantage of the option of playing games in NSW and QLD.

That part of it is fine but it'd be nice if round 1 included every other team. Have every interstate team play home and Dogs in Ballarat or Hawks in Tassie or something to get to 18.

hujsh
16-11-2023, 04:33 PM
https://www.afl.com.au/fixture?Competition=1&Season=62&Round=954&Teams=8

Rd 1 @ Dees (MCG) Sun 1pm
Rd 2 v Suns @ Mars Sun 1pm
Rd 3 v WCE Sun 1pm
Rd 4 v Cats @ AO Sat 8.10pm
Rd 5 v Ess Fri 7.50pm
Rd 6 @ Saints Thursday 7.20pm
Rd 7 @ Freo Sat 7.30
Rd 8 v Hawks Sun 4pm
Rd 9 @ Richmond (MCG) Sat 7.30pm
Rd 10 @ GWS (GIANTS Stadium) Sat 4.35pm
Rd 11 v Swans Thurs 7.20pm
Rd 12 @ Coll (MARVEL) Fri 7.50pm
Rd 13 v Bris Fri 7.50pm
Rd 14 v Freo Sat 1.45pm
Rd 15 @ North (Marvel)
Rd 16 @ Port (AO)
Rd 17 v Carlton
Rd 18 @ Geelong (GMHBA)
Rd 19 @ Swans (SCG)
Rd 20 v Dees
Rd 21 @ Crows (AO)
Rd 22 v North
Rd 23 v GWS (MARS)

bulldogsthru&thru
16-11-2023, 04:42 PM
You can only laugh at playing Geelong in Geelong once more even though we get them at gather round.

Axe Man
16-11-2023, 04:44 PM
https://www.afl.com.au/fixture?Competition=1&Season=62&Round=954&Teams=8

Rd 1 @ Dees (MCG) Sun 1pm
Rd 2 v Suns @ Mars Sun 1pm
Rd 3 v WCE Sun 1pm
Rd 4 v Cats @ AO Sat 8.10pm
Rd 5 v Ess Fri 7.50pm
Rd 6 @ Saints Thursday 7.20pm
Rd 7 @ Freo Sat 7.30
Rd 8 v Hawks Sun 4pm
Rd 9 @ Richmond (MCG) Sat 7.30pm
Rd 10 @ GWS (GIANTS Stadium) Sat 4.35pm
Rd 11 v Swans Thurs 7.20pm
Rd 12 @ Coll (MARVEL) Fri 7.50pm
Rd 13 v Bris Fri 7.50pm
Rd 14 v Freo Sat 1.45pm
Rd 15 @ North (Marvel)
Rd 16 @ Port (AO)
Rd 17 v Carlton
Rd 18 @ Geelong (GMHBA)
Rd 19 @ Swans (SCG)
Rd 20 v Dees
Rd 21 @ Crows (AO)
Rd 22 v North
Rd 23 v GWS (MARS)

Round 15 is a bye, North game onwards needs to move up 1 round.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-11-2023, 04:44 PM
Dees, cats, Swans, giants, North and freo twice. Not easy.

THREE trips to Adelaide but none to qld and only 1 to Perth. 2 trips to Sydney. Looks like we might have avoided the dreaded tassie trip too.

Axe Man
16-11-2023, 04:46 PM
3 games at Adelaide Oval, no games in Queensland, Tassie or NT.

The run home looks fairly tough, hopefully we have wins on the board.

The Underdog
16-11-2023, 04:48 PM
Who do you have to pay off to get more than 2 games at the G?

hujsh
16-11-2023, 04:50 PM
Round 15 is a bye, North game onwards needs to move up 1 round.

Yeah well that's what you get from stealing from someone on BF who did it manually

Eastdog
16-11-2023, 04:51 PM
We cop Geelong down there again! Couldn't escape it!

Axe Man
16-11-2023, 04:53 PM
Who do you have to pay off to get more than 2 games at the G?

I would rather play Collingwood for their home game at Marvel than the G.

angelopetraglia
16-11-2023, 04:57 PM
Five out of our first six in Victoria is a bonus too. Only travel for Gather Round where we play another team travelling.

bornadog
16-11-2023, 05:04 PM

still meddling though :D

angelopetraglia
16-11-2023, 05:06 PM
Venues.

Marvel - twelve games (including a Pies home game)
Adelaide Oval - three games
Mars Stadium - two games
MCG - two games
Giants Stadium - one game
Optus Stadium - one game
GMBH - one game
SCG - one game

bornadog
16-11-2023, 05:07 PM
Venues.

MCG - two games
Optus Stadium - one game
GMBH - one game
Mars Stadium - two games

Due to holidays I will miss two games. Thursday night which i hate going to and WA game. Happy with that.

We really need to make Marvel and Mars a fortress and not lose a game there.

angelopetraglia
16-11-2023, 05:12 PM
Due to holidays I will miss two games. Thursday night which i hate going to and WA game. Happy with that.

Agree. Much better fixture compared to last year where we had to play in Darwin and also Tasmania.

angelopetraglia
16-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Melbourne teams Geelong plays at Kardinia Park

Saints
North
Tigers
Hawks
Dogs

Interesting that the Tigers and Hawks play at GMBH too (Hawks first time since 2006 if you don't include COVID season without crowd). Maybe with the increased capacity a few other clubs will need to make the trip down the Princes Highway.

bornadog
16-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Agree. Much better fixture compared to last year where we had to play in Darwin and also Tasmania.

Note, Friday nights now at 7:40pm and Saturday night 7:30pm

angelopetraglia
16-11-2023, 05:18 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_B4XwmbAAA2yUE?format=jpg&name=large

bulldogsthru&thru
16-11-2023, 05:19 PM
Note, Friday nights now at 7:40pm and Saturday night 7:30pm

Can't believe it took them this long to make that change.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-11-2023, 05:20 PM
Melbourne teams Geelong plays at Kardinia Park

Saints
North
Tigers
Hawks
Dogs

Interesting that the Tigers and Hawks play at GMBH too (Hawks first time since 2006 if you don't include COVID season without crowd). Maybe with the increased capacity a few other clubs will need to make the trip down the Princes Highway.

Saints also seem to cop Sedat Park each year too.

SquirrelGrip
16-11-2023, 05:20 PM
Venues.

Mars Stadium - two games
MCG - two games
Optus Stadium - one game
GMBH - one game
SCG - one game

So we play more games at Adelaide Oval than the G! I suspect we are the first Victorian team ever to do that.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-11-2023, 05:21 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_B4XwmbAAA2yUE?format=jpg&name=large

Saints make finals and get the 4th easiest schedule. Go figure.

bornadog
16-11-2023, 05:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUNjITVpYLE&ab_channel=Michael

Grantysghost
16-11-2023, 05:31 PM
My only question.

Are Collingwood playing at Geelong?

It holds like 50k now right so no excuse.

Axe Man
16-11-2023, 05:35 PM
My only question.

Are Collingwood playing at Geelong?

It holds like 50k now right so no excuse.

I think the dodgy Chinese steel they used has delayed the completion date somewhat.

azabob
16-11-2023, 05:37 PM

Do you literally book your next trip after getting home from your last one?

angelopetraglia
16-11-2023, 05:39 PM
@OliverGigacz V/AFL H&A matches against Geelong at Kardinia Park in the 18-team era (2012-2024)...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_CEN2fbwAAxMVf?format=png&name=small

DOG GOD
16-11-2023, 05:45 PM
Play WC in round 3 and not again….what a joke.

bornadog
16-11-2023, 05:50 PM
Do you literally book your next trip after getting home from your last one?

Yes :D

Off to Korea for two weeks

bornadog
16-11-2023, 05:51 PM
@OliverGigacz V/AFL H&A matches against Geelong at Kardinia Park in the 18-team era (2012-2024)...

I really hate the AFL and their FIXture

GVGjr
16-11-2023, 05:52 PM
I'm not fussed about playing Geelong anywhere at the moment. They aren't the same team they once were.

Not overly happy about so many Sunday games because we don't seem to draw good crowds on that schedule but all-in-all it's a reasonable draw for us. Not the easiest but certainly not the hardest.

Grantysghost
16-11-2023, 05:53 PM

Hawthorn?!

I mean I know they have the fake buster game but why is it always the Cats home game... Fmd.

Axe Man
16-11-2023, 05:53 PM

Off to sell secrets to Kim Jong Un?

Axe Man
16-11-2023, 05:57 PM
Hawthorn?!

I mean I know they have the fake buster game but why is it always the Cats home game... Fmd.

It's not, it alternates each year. Which means that there's no reason the Hawks can't play at Sedat Park more often.

Grantysghost
16-11-2023, 05:57 PM
It's not, it alternates each year. Which means that there's no reason the Hawks don't play at Sedat Park more often.

Eff!

DOG GOD
16-11-2023, 05:58 PM

Nice. I just got back from Japan (3 weeks) . Sth Korea on my bucket list

ReLoad
16-11-2023, 06:09 PM
How hard is it to simply do an alternating fixture?

First year in Geelong, second year at marvel etc etc.

If you play twice in a year then sure one each, it?s fair to say that nonsense like gather round etc means bugger all.

The Underdog
16-11-2023, 06:39 PM
I would rather play Collingwood for their home game at Marvel than the G.

Probably, still it?d be nice to have a few more games there than the standard 2 for a change. But maybe it?s just that I prefer to watch footy there in general.

ledge
16-11-2023, 07:07 PM

GVGjr
16-11-2023, 07:12 PM
From Fox AFL

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Games played against...

Top eight: 11

Top four: 5

Bottom 10: 12

Bottom four: 5

Who they play twice: Fremantle, Geelong, GWS Giants, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Sydney Swans

Bye weeks: Opening Round, Round 15

Average percentage of double-up opponents: 103.85% (ninth-hardest)

Analysis: They get their fair share of primetime footy, with three Friday and two Thursday games scheduled across the first 15 rounds. Dogs fans, though, might be a little disappointed their first home game for the season is in Ballarat against the Suns in Round 2. Looks like it’s going to be a tough block in the middle of the season, with consecutive games against the Giants, Swans, Magpies and Lions between Rounds 10 and 13. It’s a block that could define their season. A tough run home with the Power, Blues, Cats, Swans, Demons and Crows between Rounds 17 and 22. But if they’re good enough to be a flag contender this year, they’ll be taking a few scalps.

Grade: C

G-Mo77
16-11-2023, 07:20 PM
Loving these Sunday games!

bulldogsthru&thru
16-11-2023, 07:48 PM
How many prime time games does everyone think we would've had if Bailey Smith was no longer at the club?

bornadog
16-11-2023, 08:06 PM

Lucky you - Love Japan, been many times.

Eastdog
16-11-2023, 10:21 PM
Pretty good overall. Some good prime time slots and some early daytime Sunday games to start us off. Would be good if we play some more MCG games but it is what it is. Need to make Marvel and Mars a fortress. Happy we don?t need to go down to Tassie to play the Hawks and great we have the Suns and Lions at home.

G-Mo77
16-11-2023, 11:21 PM
Pretty good overall. Some good prime time slots and some early daytime Sunday games to start us off. Would be good if we play some more MCG games but it is what it is. Need to make Marvel and Mars fortress. Happy we don?t need to go down to Tassie to play the Hawks and great we have the Suns and Lions at home.

For me personally it's pretty good. More Sunday and afternoon games means I can actually go. Looking forward to spending time with the fam on our home deck.

For the club it's ordinary. Ballarat for our first home game is awful, just downright awful. I certainly hope we didn't lobby for that. Round 3 (4) is our first realy home game and that is a disgrace. More arvo games is not good for the club. Viewers don't watch as much so our brand doesn't get the eyes they would want. Good Friday is as good as gone. Collingwood at Marvel away. Why? Geelong in Geelong again, goody.

Most of these problems we brought on ourselves with our pathetic 2023. Looking at the draw though you'd think we finished on the bottom last year.

Prince Imperial
17-11-2023, 12:15 AM
Lucky you - Love Japan, been many times.

Just got back from six weeks in Japan, Korea and Taiwan. Left on 2 October. Silly me, could have booked it for a month earlier!

From a commercial perspective, we are yet again having more home matches against non-Vic teams (6 out of 8) than against Vic teams (5 out of 9). Should help with our winning them, but it leads to lower attendances and match day financial returns than what our Vic rivals enjoy.

josie
17-11-2023, 01:21 AM
Just got back from six weeks in Japan, Korea and Taiwan. Left on 2 October. Silly me, could have booked it for a month earlier!

From a commercial perspective, we are yet again having more home matches against non-Vic teams (6 out of 8) than against Vic teams (5 out of 9). Should help with our winning them, but it leads to lower attendances and match day financial returns than what our Vic rivals enjoy.

Good point re. $.

What places were highlights that you’d recommend or would want to see again?

Axe Man
17-11-2023, 10:36 AM
Looking at the draw though you'd think we finished on the bottom last year.

How so?

Bottom teams don't get Friday night x3 and Thursday night x2 (and to a lesser extent Saturday night x3) in the first 14 rounds. Considering we missed finals and are not a big club I don't think it's too bad. There are finals teams with fewer Thursday/Friday night games than us.

If we get off to a reasonable start we should get some more prime time exposure in the back part of the year as well.

Axe Man
17-11-2023, 10:39 AM
Who has the toughest draw? We break down your club's fixture
(https://www.afl.com.au/news/1064206/who-has-the-hardest-draw-we-break-down-your-clubs-2024-fixture)
Check out all you need to know about your team's schedule, including who they play twice, when their byes are, and a rough guide to just how difficult 2024 might be on paper.

* The degree of difficulty is calculated by adding the 2023 ladder positions of the teams a club plays twice. A low total score means a club has a tougher fixture; a high total score means an easier fixture.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Play twice: Greater Western Sydney, Melbourne, Sydney, Geelong, Fremantle, North Melbourne

First four: Melbourne (A), Gold Coast (H), West Coast (H), Geelong (H)

Last three: Adelaide (A), North Melbourne (H), Greater Western Sydney (H)

Bye: Opening Round, Round 15

Thursday/Friday matches: 2/3 (Total: 5)

Five-day breaks: 1

Degree of difficulty: 61 (equal 13th hardest)

What the club says: "We?re really pleased with both the football and commercial outcomes of the 2024 fixture and welcome the connection with our Victorian members through the opening three rounds. The fixture is bookended by games in Ballarat in Rounds 2 and 24, following on from a successful pair of games in 2023, with a record of number of attendees cheering on the club at Mars Stadium. Once again, we?ll feature prominently on free-to-air television with eight games scheduled across the known rounds, five of those falling on Thursday and Friday night football. Our interstate members will have the opportunity next year to witness the team live with three trips to Adelaide, dual games in Sydney as well as a Perth match." ? CEO Ameet Bains

angelopetraglia
17-11-2023, 10:50 AM
121 days and counting. Let's go https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/matches/5905

azabob
17-11-2023, 11:18 AM

Why didn't you include it your trip just gone?

The Bulldogs Bite
17-11-2023, 11:20 AM
First home game is in Ballarat. Why?

That's rubbish IMO.

Personally wish we would can Ballarat.

ledge
17-11-2023, 11:28 AM

That's rubbish IMO.

TBH I’ve always said play Ballarat games early or late because Ballarat is extremely cold mid season.

chef
17-11-2023, 11:28 AM
I think the timing of our B-Rat games is perfect, the weather should be at its best. My favourite fixtures.

Plenty of Sunday games is great for country peeps too, cant complain too much. Bring it on.

Happy Days
17-11-2023, 11:30 AM
Play WC in round 3 and not again?.what a joke.

How?d we go against them last time?

We do get North twice in the back 9 which is handy.

Axe Man
17-11-2023, 11:55 AM
I think the timing of our B-Rat games is perfect, the weather should be at its best. My favourite fixtures.

Plenty of Sunday games is great for country peeps too, cant complain too much. Bring it on.

I think it would be better if round 2 and 3 were swapped so that the first home game was at Marvel, then an early game in Ballarat whilst the weather should still be good. But of course you can't win them all.

Axe Man
17-11-2023, 11:58 AM

I think Ballarat is fine if it's still worthwhile financially. Our record there is good and it's much less taxing for the players than travelling to NT or Northern Queensland. Given the recent legal case I doubt we will be pulling the plug anytime soon if the $$$ are still there.

Grantysghost
17-11-2023, 11:59 AM

That's rubbish IMO.

Might be giving themselves more time to get the stadium ready (Marvel).

chef
17-11-2023, 12:08 PM
I think it would be better if round 2 and 3 were swapped so that the first home game was at Marvel, then an early game in Ballarat whilst the weather should still be good. But of course you can't win them all.

May be a dumb qestion but does it matter?

Our first game of the season is in Melbourne so that's good too.

Axe Man
17-11-2023, 12:11 PM
May be a dumb qestion but does it matter?

Our first game of the season is in Melbourne so that's good too.

Not to me but I imagine there are a lot of families and friend groups that look forward to the first home game of the season at Marvel and meet up and sit together. I'm just guessing though so maybe others can tell us if it's a thing they are disappointed by or not.

Axe Man
17-11-2023, 12:13 PM
Might be giving themselves more time to get the stadium ready (Marvel).

They must be expecting those Pink fans to really trash the joint!

There is a game at Marvel in round 2 so I don't think that's it.

DOG GOD
17-11-2023, 05:51 PM
Why didn't you include it your trip just gone?
Too much to see and do in Japan (first time…Tokyo, Osaka, Hiroshima and Kyoto) and I had to be back at work in 3 weeks.

Prince Imperial
18-11-2023, 01:35 AM
Good point re. $.

What places were highlights that you?d recommend or would want to see again?

Well all the major tourist highlights are good (Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Seoul, DMZ etc) but a few of lesser known ones I'd suggest considering would be:

1. The Nakasendo Trail: https://japanjourneys.jp/nagano/kiso-valley/hiking-walking/magome-to-tsumago/

2. Fender store in Tokyo: https://www.dezeen.com/2023/07/12/klein-dytham-architecture-fender-flagship-store-tokyo/

3. The old Korean capital Gyeong-ju: https://littleholidays.net/blog/gyeongju-south-korea/

4. The Chimei Museum in Tainan, Taiwan: https://www-o.chimeimuseum.org/ml/English/3

One evening in Takayama, I thought I saw our doctor Gary Zimmerman in the street. The next day when I was walking down a hill in the village of Shirakawa-go, I saw him again walking up it. He had an Australian accent and is very distinctive looking so it was definitely him. Both these places are worth visiting too.

The only other AFL person I've seen overseas was Darren Gaspar walking up the Royal Mile in Edinburgh in 2000.

jeemak
18-11-2023, 04:43 AM
Too much to see and do in Japan (first time?Tokyo, Osaka, Hiroshima and Kyoto) and I had to be back at work in 3 weeks.

You can sit on the trains and watch people in Tokyo for hours and feel like you didn't see enough people on the trains. Amazing place.

DOG GOD
18-11-2023, 11:06 AM
Well all the major tourist highlights are good (Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Seoul, DMZ etc) but a few of lesser known ones I'd suggest considering would be:

1. The Nakasendo Trail: https://japanjourneys.jp/nagano/kiso-valley/hiking-walking/magome-to-tsumago/

2. Fender store in Tokyo: https://www.dezeen.com/2023/07/12/klein-dytham-architecture-fender-flagship-store-tokyo/

3. The old Korean capital Gyeong-ju: https://littleholidays.net/blog/gyeongju-south-korea/

4. The Chimei Museum in Tainan, Taiwan: https://www-o.chimeimuseum.org/ml/English/3

One evening in Takayama, I thought I saw our doctor Gary Zimmerman in the street. The next day when I was walking down a hill in the village of Shirakawa-go, I saw him again walking up it. He had an Australian accent and is very distinctive looking so it was definitely him. Both these places are worth visiting too.

The only other AFL person I've seen overseas was Darren Gaspar walking up the Royal Mile in Edinburgh in 2000.

I saw Steven May in Hiroshima.
I saw Bont in Hawaii the year after he was drafted.

bornadog
18-11-2023, 11:37 AM

Japan is an amazing place, first went there in 1984 when it wasn't popular with tourists. In fact only saw one or two anglos in the whole 5 weeks I was there. Been back a few times the last in 2018.

Have never been to Korea, and really looking forward to it. Interested what you thought of Taiwan? I lived and worked there for 5 years back in the the 90s and loved it. Also did monthly trips in my last year, to Japan when we were developing a new business.

Bulldog4life
18-11-2023, 04:16 PM
TBH I?ve always said play Ballarat games early or late because Ballarat is extremely cold mid season.

Yep thinking the same thing myself. No hand warmers needed G.

Prince Imperial
18-11-2023, 09:36 PM
Japan is an amazing place, first went there in 1984 when it wasn't popular with tourists. In fact only saw one or two anglos in the whole 5 weeks I was there. Been back a few times the last in 2018.

Have never been to Korea, and really looking forward to it. Interested what you thought of Taiwan? I lived and worked there for 5 years back in the the 90s and loved it. Also did monthly trips in my last year, to Japan when we were developing a new business.

I enjoyed my 13 days in Taiwan and was glad I went. The natural sights such as Taroko Gorge, Alishan and Sun Moon Lake were definite highlights but I was most impressed with the people. Friendly, polite and likeable. I found the food OK but nothing really stood out as delicious.

bornadog
18-11-2023, 10:42 PM
I enjoyed my 13 days in Taiwan and was glad I went. The natural sights such as Taroko Gorge, Alishan and Sun Moon Lake were definite highlights but I was most impressed with the people. Friendly, polite and likeable. I found the food OK but nothing really stood out as delicious.

The people are lovely in Taiwan. I hope you went to the Museum in Taipei that holds the best Chinese treasures in the world - all taken to Taiwan by Chiang Kai-shek when the communist took over Mainland China. Lucky as most would have been destroyed in the cultural revolution.

Prince Imperial
18-11-2023, 10:55 PM
The people are lovely in Taiwan. I hope you went to the Museum in Taipei that holds the best Chinese treasures in the world - all taken to Taiwan by Chiang Kai-shek when the communist took over Mainland China. Lucky as most would have been destroyed in the cultural revolution.

Missed that one! I had two full days in Taipei and there is a lot to see and do there. I'm not really a huge fan of art so I'm not sure I would have fully appreciated it.

angelopetraglia
13-12-2023, 11:18 PM
Air kms during the 2024 H&A season

Freo 58568
WCE 58476
GC 48072
Bris 39832
GWS 24452
Melb 23948
Syd 23544
Adel 21790
North 21632
Rich 20090
Port 19832
Geel 19630
Hawth 16604
Coll 14934
Ess 14806
StK 13898
Carl 13562
WB 12087

https://x.com/miguels92940618/status/1734564053186716008?s=46&t=oMlyiNHry1lhUs8p7uzZ_A

bornadog
14-12-2023, 12:17 AM

Freo 58568
WCE 58476
GC 48072
Bris 39832
GWS 24452
Melb 23948
Syd 23544
Adel 21790
North 21632
Rich 20090
Port 19832
Geel 19630
Hawth 16604
Coll 14934
Ess 14806
StK 13898
Carl 13562
WB 12087

https://x.com/miguels92940618/status/1734564053186716008?s=46&t=oMlyiNHry1lhUs8p7uzZ_A

Excellent

Flipper
15-12-2023, 12:18 PM
Next year marks 100 years since the championship of Victoria and we have a home game against Essendon Friday night round 5. I really hope the club and the AFL do something significant to honour the anniversary.

I'd even like the club to try to push for it to be a regular marquee match for us, as a homage to the histories of the VFA clubs who's past accomplishments are not acknowledged by the AFL.

Grantysghost
15-12-2023, 12:27 PM
Next year marks 100 years since the championship of Victoria and we have a home game against Essendon Friday night round 5. I really hope the club and the AFL do something significant to honour the anniversary.

I'd even like the club to try to push for it to be a regular marquee match for us, as a homage to the histories of the VFA clubs who's past accomplishments are not acknowledged by the AFL.

I like it! That's when we beat the Dons to get into the VFL right?

Bulldog Joe
15-12-2023, 12:30 PM

Freo 58568
WCE 58476
GC 48072
Bris 39832
GWS 24452
Melb 23948
Syd 23544
Adel 21790
North 21632
Rich 20090
Port 19832
Geel 19630
Hawth 16604
Coll 14934
Ess 14806
StK 13898
Carl 13562
WB 12087

Is that correct?

Must be the first time EVER we travel less than any other team.

Melbourne probably highest Vic team because of the Alice Springs game but they do get 2 trips to Perth.
They could save some travel by just staying in Adelaide after the away game against Port before gather round.

Axe Man
15-12-2023, 12:38 PM
Is that correct?

Must be the first time EVER we travel less than any other team.

It makes sense since all but 1 interstate game is in SA or NSW. No trips to Queensland or NT and only 1 to WA means our air travel must be at it's lowest in many years.

Melbourne 14
Ballarat 2
Geelong 1
SA 3
NSW 2
WA 1

Flipper
15-12-2023, 02:59 PM
Yeah sort of, I think. I'm no historian, others might be able to provide a more accurate story, but my understanding is that prior to 1924 the VFL and VFA existed as relatively equal competitions although the VFL was starting to push ahead financially.
The game was an exhibition match between the premiers of each competition and we beat Essendon.
I don't know how much bearing the victory had in us joining the VFL the following year because Hawthorn and North were also admitted that year.

Grantysghost
15-12-2023, 03:34 PM
Yeah sort of, I think. I'm no historian, others might be able to provide a more accurate story, but my understanding is that prior to 1924 the VFL and VFA existed as relatively equal competitions although the VFL was starting to push ahead financially.
The game was an exhibition match between the premiers of each competition and we beat Essendon.
I don't know how much bearing the victory had in us joining the VFL the following year because Hawthorn and North were also admitted that year.

They need to count vfa premierships in the grand total.

Flipper
16-12-2023, 09:42 PM
They need to count vfa premierships in the grand total.

Yeah, Port would want their SANFL ones counted. Really I think any VFL ones should just be VFL premierships and not lumped in with the AFL ones.

hujsh
16-12-2023, 11:13 PM
Yeah, Port would want their SANFL ones counted. Really I think any VFL ones should just be VFL premierships and not lumped in with the AFL ones.

How will all the Big Clubs claim their supremacy then?