PDA

View Full Version : WOOF Welcomes Ryley Sanders to the Kennel

Pages : [1] 2

GVGjr
20-11-2023, 08:50 PM
Exiting times. Sanders was on a short list of 3 players we thought were in the mix at this pick.

EasternWest
20-11-2023, 08:54 PM
Happy with this. Must admit I was more into Watson, but don't think we lose out with Sanders.

The more oddly spelt Riley's we have the better.

hujsh
20-11-2023, 08:56 PM
BT thought he had the thread royalties sewn up but the Boss has said no.

Welcome Ryley. You look a great pickup

GVGjr
20-11-2023, 08:57 PM
Happy with this. Must admit I was more into Watson, but don't think we lose out with Sanders.

The more oddly spelt Riley's we have the better.

Both are terrific players. I wouldn't have been unhappy with Watson and he would have played very early with us.

bornadog
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_XYGIIakAACazR?format=png&name=900x900

GVGjr
BT thought he had the thread royalties sewn up but the Boss has said no.

Welcome Ryley. You look a great pickup

Thought a fresh one was worth it.

The Doctor
20-11-2023, 08:58 PM
Enter the Sandman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD-E-LDc384

Rocket Science
20-11-2023, 09:01 PM
Anyone else spy shades of prime Plough Wallace in Sanders' build and movements?

KT31
20-11-2023, 09:01 PM
Very happy with Sanders, future mid and some insurance if Smith does leave.

GVGjr
20-11-2023, 09:03 PM
Anyone else spy shades of prime Plough Wallace in Sanders' build and movements?

Worth considering. I was going with Ryan Griffen.
Lets hope Sanders proves to be a lot quick quicker and a better kick than Plough

Eastdog
20-11-2023, 09:03 PM
Welcome to the Dogs Ryley. Happy with this pick.

JanLorMill
20-11-2023, 09:05 PM
Welcome Ryley, Rhylee, Riley or Rily.

ledge
20-11-2023, 09:06 PM
https://youtu.be/d-kzm2JwCSk?si=dhWAXavq3AnU1Ztz

josie
20-11-2023, 09:09 PM
Welcome Ryley. Well spoken young man, seems an intelligent, thoughtful type. Smile on Bevo’s & Power’s faces indicating we have a good ‘un.

ledge
20-11-2023, 09:10 PM
Hard working and professional according to shifter .

Grantysghost
20-11-2023, 09:10 PM
I don't get that swap.

Why would the Cats go down a spot for only 31.

I assume they didn't want Caddy.

GVGjr
20-11-2023, 09:12 PM
I don't get that swap.

Seems that way. Perhaps there could be another trade of picks.

WBFC4FFC
20-11-2023, 09:13 PM
Very happy with Sanders, future mid and some insurance if Smith does leave.

Forget insurance. Sanders hits targets!

hujsh
20-11-2023, 09:14 PM
I don't get that swap.

Their picks coming in were:
8, 25, 70, 75, 79, 81, 85

I assume they wanted another pick before the 4th/5th rounds

bulldogtragic
20-11-2023, 11:05 PM
Dogs socials calling him Colonel?

I hope that?s not in reference to a fast food company/sponsor that?s not ours, being McDonalds?

Scorlibo
20-11-2023, 11:07 PM
Very happy with Sanders. I think Watson probably fit our immediate needs a bit better, but Sanders screams quality and is perhaps a more bankable top ten pick. Very impressed with his decision making and vision in particular. Hopefully he can make an impact at AFL level soon.

Bit of trivia: Sanders is the 5th Larke Medallist that we've drafted over the years, who are the other four?

GVGjr
20-11-2023, 11:11 PM
Southern and Power spring to mind

Is Sanders the first Larke Medal winner drafted by a Larke Medal winner?

Scorlibo
20-11-2023, 11:17 PM

Yep that's surely a first! Sam's just larking about with this pick.

EasternWest
20-11-2023, 11:22 PM
Very happy with Sanders. I think Watson probably fit our immediate needs a bit better, but Sanders screams quality and is perhaps a more bankable top ten pick. Very impressed with his decision making and vision in particular. Hopefully he can make an impact at AFL level soon.

Bit of trivia: Sanders is the 5th Larke Medallist that we've drafted over the years, who are the other four?

Subscribe.

Grantysghost
20-11-2023, 11:23 PM

Meta

jeemak
20-11-2023, 11:34 PM
I've checked the list of Larke medal winners and it's an eclectic bunch for winners who have played with us outside of who already has been mentioned.

Uninformed
20-11-2023, 11:38 PM
Enter the Sandman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD-E-LDc384

Brisbane play a particular song (can't remember what) that he likes every time Charlie Cameron kicks a goal.

Surely we get to play 'Enter Sandman' when the Sandman goals!

Grantysghost
20-11-2023, 11:42 PM
Brisbane play a particular song (can't remember what) that he likes every time Charlie Cameron kicks a goal.

Surely we get to play this when the Sandman goals!

It's take me home country road John Denver I believe.
My feeling is it should end up where he did.

Happy Days
21-11-2023, 12:43 AM
I know Andrew Hooper won a Larke Medal because my tiny brain couldn’t understand how we got the best underage player in the pool in the second round of the rookie draft.

jeemak
21-11-2023, 12:54 AM
I know Andrew Hooper won a Larke Medal because my tiny brain couldn’t understand how we got the best underage player in the pool in the second round of the rookie draft.

From an in-law of his, apparently his appearance upon arrival at the first training session of 2011's preseason meant that Eade couldn't even find words to spray him with. He was speechless - relative to his usual creativity.

Happy Days
21-11-2023, 09:38 AM
From an in-law of his, apparently his appearance upon arrival at the first training session of 2011's preseason meant that Eade couldn't even find words to spray him with. He was speechless - relative to his usual creativity.

I really wish Eade made it to the Great Access era.

lemmon
21-11-2023, 09:46 AM
Really happy with this selection. I think Ryley's a really nice modern midfielder in that he's got a solid inside/outside mix to his game, is a good runner and an intelligent kick of the footy. Seems like the kind of character that'll prosper in a professional environment.

bornadog
21-11-2023, 10:47 AM
Sanders:

“I definitely want to stay playing for the @westernbulldogs
for my whole career. I’m super grateful for them drafting me with pick 6 so I definitely want to repay the faith.”

- Pick 6 in the AFL Draft, Ryley Sanders.

bulldogtragic
21-11-2023, 10:51 AM
Sanders:

I think the media will add his name to Tim, Baz & Marra. I’d extend him as soon as we can to shut down the Tassie speculation on him and give him the reassurance to just play footy and develop out of the media BS.

azabob
21-11-2023, 11:22 AM
I'd be surprised if Sanders is deemed a flight risk.

He chose to move to Melbourne and play underage footy in Melbourne rather than back in Tassie.

Testekill
21-11-2023, 11:28 AM
I'd be surprised if Sanders is deemed a flight risk.

He chose to move to Melbourne and play underage footy in Melbourne rather than back in Tassie.

The Tassie team is also going to be in Hobart and he's a Launceston kid. Melbourne is probably not that further away.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-11-2023, 11:29 AM
I don't think he's a flight risk in terms of wanting "to go home". I think it'll be more when afl sets up Tassie and throws plenty of $$$ around if he's a gun it might be too tempting to turn down.

Ultimately that could apply to any guns in the comp. I'm not particularly concerned. I'd be more concerned if we'd drafted Curtin.

Axe Man
21-11-2023, 11:30 AM
The Tassie team is also going to be in Hobart and he's a Launceston kid. Melbourne is probably not that further away.

2 hours 45 minutes from Launceston to Hobart by car. Launceston to Melbourne by plane is much quicker. ;)

soupman
21-11-2023, 11:41 AM
It's not so much that he himself is particularly vulnerable, it's more that Tassie are gonna be super keen to get as many Tassie boys in as possible and thus are more likely to target him specifically.

Anyway its a future problem, and while I find him a littke unexciting my track record of being underwhelmed with who we grab with our first rounders is very well proven as a sign they are guns.

I was not particularly keen on any of Bont, Naughton, Weightman, Smith, English or Jamarra in their draft years.

BornInDroopSt'54
21-11-2023, 12:33 PM
Our forwards are going to love leading when Ryley's near the ball.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-11-2023, 02:36 PM
I noticed the colonel weighs 86kg which is already a mature weight for his height.

Anyone know what his motor is like? Does he have decent endurance?

GVGjr
21-11-2023, 02:59 PM
I noticed the colonel weighs 86kg which is already a mature weight for his height.

He didn't test at the combine but on games I saw, it looks pretty good.

hujsh
21-11-2023, 03:07 PM
He didn't test at the combine but on games I saw, it looks pretty good.

You'd have to think it's not possible to consistently get over 30 touches a game as a mid without at leave above average endurance. Even if you were the best reader of the game to ever live you still need to get places and not be too fatigued to execute

GVGjr
21-11-2023, 03:18 PM
You'd have to think it's not possible to consistently get over 30 touches a game as a mid without at leave above average endurance. Even if you were the best reader of the game to ever live you still need to get places and not be too fatigued to execute

He will need to be managed and not overworked. Looks fit enough from my perspective. I'll be a keen watcher at some of the training sessions.

josie
21-11-2023, 03:20 PM

Pretty sure I heard from one or more journos or footy experts that he has very good endurance.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-11-2023, 03:22 PM

You would think so. I don't know what the interchange rules are at the u18 level. I'm sure he's not bad. I wondered if he was at least decent.

The footage I saw of him he seemed to be getting the ball in all areas of the ground.

Bulldog4life
21-11-2023, 03:46 PM
Very happy we drafted Ryley. Another addition to our indigenous boys.

Ryley Sanders drafted to Western Bulldogs with pick six

Talented Indigenous teenager Ryley Sanders has been selected by the Western Bulldogs with pick six on the opening night of the AFL Draft.

Sanders is considered one of the best midfield prospects among this crop of draftees and is coming off an excellent 2023 season across multiple levels of football.

After being drafted, Sanders told Fox Footy that he had an idea there was some interest from the Western Bulldogs.

"I had a good inkling from my manager Nick Gieschen that if I was there (at pick six) I could potentially end up at the Doggies," he said.

"I'm just so stoked to be there and they have so many good players that I'll be able to learn off, which is great."

Sanders averaged over 30 disposals per game across his nine outings for Sandringham Dragons in the Coates Talent League this season, his second consecutive premiership-winning season at the Dragons.

A picture of consistency, he did not dip below 25 disposals in a game once throughout the 2023 campaign.

He also averaged a massive 38.8 disposals per game across his APS season with Melbourne Grammar.

Sanders was brilliant at representative level for the Allies, spearheading the team to an undefeated carnival and claiming the Larke Medal as the best performed player in the process.

The 18-year-old – who was named captain in the U18 All-Australian team – described his experience with the Allies as 'amazing'.

"I had a great six weeks with the Allies boys – to win the Championships and to win the (Larke) Medal was great."

Sanders is regarded as a high-production midfielder who has the ability to accumulate plenty of the football.

He possesses clean hands, classy decision making and a high footy IG.

AFL Draft guru Kevin Sheehan said on Fox Footy's coverage that the Bulldogs had drafted a tremendously talented player.

"He's just a polished player who prepares so well and produces from week to week," Sheehan said.

"An outstanding player all year in the Coates Talent League, he then played for the Allies and dominated."

A member of the AFL Academy for the past two seasons, he performed well in games against Port Adelaide and Carlton reserves this year as a key feature of the Academy team's on-ball rotation.

Sanders was made a member of North Melbourne's Next Generation Academy earlier in the year and at one point looked destined to head to Arden Street.

AFL rules state that teams can only match bids on NGA players after selection 40, but the Kangaroos had requested an assistance package that could have involved getting priority access to Sanders and having the ability to match a bid.

Sharon Long ebay:44vbxk5 Po Box 38 Malanda QLD 4885

ledge
21-11-2023, 05:37 PM
Seems stupid you can match bids for a F/S at any pick but a kid you bought up and trained since 14-15 you can’t match bids until after pick 40.
So the AFL want clubs to bring up kids but then stop them taking them because they did such a great job in developing them.
You would think that might stifle clubs from having NGA kids in the future.

JanLorMill
21-11-2023, 05:40 PM
Seems stupid you can match bids for a F/S at any pick but a kid you bought up and trained since 14-15 you can’t match bids until after pick 40.
So the AFL want clubs to bring up kids but then stop them taking them because they did such a great job in developing them.
You would think that might stifle clubs from having NGA kids in the future.
Unless you are Gws or Gold Coast

hujsh
21-11-2023, 05:53 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1467562/the-colonel-has-arrived

Video here of the team discussing why they'll pick him

Grantysghost
21-11-2023, 06:21 PM
Grant seems to be getting back in shape.

Any chance for a return?

hujsh
21-11-2023, 07:05 PM
Mic'd up (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1467749/micd-up-ryley-sanders?videoId=1467749&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1700549026001)

azabob
21-11-2023, 07:16 PM
Mic'd up (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1467749/micd-up-ryley-sanders?videoId=1467749&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1700549026001)

Thanks for posting that one. What a kid. Humble, polite, confident, independent? already knows Charlie Clarke.

hujsh
21-11-2023, 07:25 PM
Thanks for posting that one. What a kid. Humble, polite, confident, independent? already knows Charlie Clarke.

I found that quite funny how Bevo was 'oh we've got a little surprise for you' and he's basically said 'Oh yeah I watched you guys do that with my mate Charlie that'll be fun'

BornInDroopSt'54
21-11-2023, 07:26 PM

Talented Indigenous teenager Ryley Sanders has been selected by the Western Bulldogs with pick six on the opening night of the AFL Draft.

Sanders is considered one of the best midfield prospects among this crop of draftees and is coming off an excellent 2023 season across multiple levels of football.

After being drafted, Sanders told Fox Footy that he had an idea there was some interest from the Western Bulldogs.

"I had a good inkling from my manager Nick Gieschen that if I was there (at pick six) I could potentially end up at the Doggies," he said.

"I'm just so stoked to be there and they have so many good players that I'll be able to learn off, which is great."

Sanders averaged over 30 disposals per game across his nine outings for Sandringham Dragons in the Coates Talent League this season, his second consecutive premiership-winning season at the Dragons.

A picture of consistency, he did not dip below 25 disposals in a game once throughout the 2023 campaign.

He also averaged a massive 38.8 disposals per game across his APS season with Melbourne Grammar.

Sanders was brilliant at representative level for the Allies, spearheading the team to an undefeated carnival and claiming the Larke Medal as the best performed player in the process.

The 18-year-old – who was named captain in the U18 All-Australian team – described his experience with the Allies as 'amazing'.

"I had a great six weeks with the Allies boys – to win the Championships and to win the (Larke) Medal was great."

Sanders is regarded as a high-production midfielder who has the ability to accumulate plenty of the football.

AFL Draft guru Kevin Sheehan said on Fox Footy's coverage that the Bulldogs had drafted a tremendously talented player.

"He's just a polished player who prepares so well and produces from week to week," Sheehan said.

"An outstanding player all year in the Coates Talent League, he then played for the Allies and dominated."

A member of the AFL Academy for the past two seasons, he performed well in games against Port Adelaide and Carlton reserves this year as a key feature of the Academy team's on-ball rotation.

Sanders was made a member of North Melbourne's Next Generation Academy earlier in the year and at one point looked destined to head to Arden Street.

AFL rules state that teams can only match bids on NGA players after selection 40, but the Kangaroos had requested an assistance package that could have involved getting priority access to Sanders and having the ability to match a bid.

Wow indigenous from Tassie like Liam Jones.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-11-2023, 08:47 PM
Whilst I'm glad we won't have any sliding doors moment given Watson was off the board, I'm still curious who we actually had higher on our draft board.

MrMahatma
21-11-2023, 10:18 PM

Didn’t know much about Melisi but having seen that, anyone who likes Pennywise and Millencolin is ok by me and proves he can identify talent.

bornadog
22-11-2023, 10:15 AM
Well worth a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvTxvQvDuVc

ledge
22-11-2023, 10:25 AM

I’m sorry but I have to ask .. who is Sharon Long eBay ?

bulldogtragic
22-11-2023, 10:26 AM
I think my favourite line was off the cuff, talking to his mate about when we were up, “I hope Cal got this right”.

hujsh
22-11-2023, 10:44 AM
I think my favourite line was off the cuff, talking to his mate about when we were up, “I hope Cal got this right”.

I think being linked with us, he started to imagine life as a bulldog, working with the likes of Libba, Treloar and you know who, putting the ball in space for Marra and Naughts, training with his mate Charlie. Despite his best efforts he probably started to get a bit invested in that potential reality. It probably could have happened with just about any club but I think having the Bont and Clarke would have made us especially appealing.

Grantysghost
22-11-2023, 01:32 PM
Well worth a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvTxvQvDuVc

Wow he's a ripper kid.

Very happy.

jazzadogs
22-11-2023, 01:56 PM
I’m sorry but I have to ask .. who is Sharon Long eBay ?

I'm gonna send a letter to PO Box 38 Maland QLD 4885 and ask the same question.

Bulldog4life
22-11-2023, 02:53 PM
I?m sorry but I have to ask .. who is Sharon Long eBay ?

That appeared when I copied and paste the website where it came from

BornInDroopSt'54
22-11-2023, 02:57 PM
Sanders is heavier than Croft.
Matthew had big hips and thighs with not so huge torso, like English.
Lower centre of gravity and powerful pegs.
It is amazing how we were so low after missing finals, loss of belief yet hope springs eternal with youth and its promise and the work the club has done since.
Kudos to Chris Grant who refused offers to leave after a Bulldog kid sent twenty cents, now as offfield leader.
Is it a bird, isit a plane?
No it's Chris Grant!
I remember Chris Grant late in his career, twirling out of a late seen tackle on the fifty arc and getting the kick away.
A favourite skill of mine is a late twirl out of traffic to space and freedom for further skills like a lace out delivery.
A rare gem to remember.

Twodogs
22-11-2023, 06:38 PM
Sanders is heavier than Croft.
Matthew had big hips and thighs with not so huge torso, like English.
Lower centre of gravity and powerful pegs.
It is amazing how we were so low after missing finals, loss of belief yet hope springs eternal with youth and its promise and the work the club has done since.
Kudos to Chris Grant who refused offers to leave after a Bulldog kid sent twenty cents, now as offfield leader.
Is it a bird, isit a plane?
No it's Chris Grant!
I remember Chris Grant late in his career, twirling out of a late seen tackle on the fifty arc and getting the kick away.
A favourite skill of mine is a late twirl out of traffic to space and freedom for further skills like a lace out delivery.
A rare gem to remember.

Chris Grant is more Roger Ramjet than Superman.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-11-2023, 03:20 AM
Chris Grant is more Roger Ramjet than Superman.

Not when you're born in '54 and Superman had Chris Grant's square jaw plus Superman fought for truth, justice and the Footscray way.

Grantysghost
23-11-2023, 09:47 AM
Not when you're born in '54 and Superman had Chris Grant's square jaw plus Superman fought for truth, justice and the Footscray way.

I used to have a photo on my wall as a younger person of Chris doing the whole superman open the shirt thing to reveal robodog.
Long lost now.

ledge
23-11-2023, 09:54 AM
How many Colonel banners are being made by the cheer squad now I wonder.

azabob
23-11-2023, 10:02 AM
I used to have a photo on my wall as a younger person of Chris doing the whole superman open the shirt thing to reveal robodog.
Long lost now.

So last year, yeah?

BornInDroopSt'54
25-11-2023, 11:27 AM
This Colonel bullshit is out of hand.
Kentucky F'ing Fried chicken ffs!
God people have the imagination of a concrete block.
Anything but f'ing colonel!

Bulldog4life
25-11-2023, 11:28 AM
ThisColonel bullshit is out of hand.
Kentucky F'ing Friedchickwn ffs!

I gather you are not a fan of Colonel BID.

ledge
25-11-2023, 12:16 PM

What you got for us ?

BornInDroopSt'54
25-11-2023, 12:17 PM
I gather you are not a fan of Colonel BID.
Can't stand U.S. gun culture or yank tv or movie culture.
U.S. literature is brilliant but the predominant popular culture, especially take away food is the pits, spew.
Who in Footscray would want to perpetuate that!
B4life it is not the KFC culture I dislike, it is the unthinking morons who want to call Ryley "Colonel" to own him!
Would you like to be called colonel when you have lived your life as a proud Tasmanian Sanders?

MrMahatma
25-11-2023, 12:18 PM

The Witch?
The Block?
Paper?
Beach? The Hoff?

BornInDroopSt'54
25-11-2023, 12:36 PM
The Witch?
The Block?
Paper?
Beach? The Hoff?
How about seeing him play before projecting tags?

Grantysghost
25-11-2023, 01:00 PM

Have to agree, even though I am partial to the colonel's secret spices at times.

I'd go with Bernie.

SquirrelGrip
25-11-2023, 01:57 PM
Deion, Prime or Prime Time?

jeemak
25-11-2023, 04:04 PM
Have to agree, even though I am partial to the colonel's secret spices at times.

I'd go with Bernie.

Has to be Bernie.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-11-2023, 04:46 PM

I'd go with Bernie.
Wasn't Bernie carried around dead and funny?
Chico roll was fair for Royal who could snag a goal.
How about reflecting Footscray's ethnicities with Banh mi roll?
Not catchy but you'll come back for more.
Banh mi (Bernie) Sanders.

hujsh
25-11-2023, 05:11 PM
Bernard

jeemak
25-11-2023, 05:36 PM

Choco Royal.

jazzadogs
25-11-2023, 05:44 PM
Bernard

Nard Dog

Hot_Doggies
25-11-2023, 05:55 PM

Colonel it is then.

Twodogs
25-11-2023, 06:28 PM
Larry. It has to be Larry

https://youtu.be/M9dT-S4RyQI?si=rb_jmccCm7bKTFg2

Dazza
27-11-2023, 08:11 PM
Anyone else think he could debut round 1?

Bulldog Joe
27-11-2023, 08:17 PM

Does anyone think he won't?

GVGjr
27-11-2023, 08:27 PM

Seems very likely but who gets dropped to make a spot? Rhylee West?

bornadog
27-11-2023, 10:05 PM

I think he is a big chance to play round 1

Vred
28-11-2023, 12:44 AM
Seems very likely but who gets dropped to make a spot? Rhylee West?

The VC curse could rear it's ugly head?

GVGjr
28-11-2023, 12:45 AM
The VC curse could rear it's ugly head?

Good point.

hujsh
28-11-2023, 12:13 PM

One thing I didn't notice initially here Power quickly mentions his Yo-Yo is pretty good (basically the beep test). Right after saying his Endurance is pretty good (and we've seen he's not far off our best runners already). So even if his absolute top speed isn't lightning fast as long has he's fast enough and doesn't tire being able to repeatedly run at high intensity is absolutely something we seem to lack

bulldogsthru&thru
28-11-2023, 01:10 PM
One thing I didn't notice initially here Power quickly mentions his Yo-Yo is pretty good (basically the beep test). Right after saying his Endurance is pretty good (and we've seen he's not far off our best runners already). So even if his absolute top speed isn't lightning fast as long has he's fast enough and doesn't tire being able to repeatedly run at high intensity is absolutely something we seem to lack

He could be a match winner for this reason. When others are tiring, he'll keep going and his footy smarts will shine through when it matters most. He'll basically look faster the longer the game goes.

jazzadogs
28-11-2023, 06:47 PM
Some of his attributes remind me of Sam Walsh. Is this a comparison that has been made?

bulldogsthru&thru
28-11-2023, 06:52 PM
Some of his attributes remind me of Sam Walsh. Is this a comparison that has been made?

That's what I've always thought.

Twodogs
28-11-2023, 10:58 PM

That's a really good call. I'm making the comparison.

jeemak
29-11-2023, 04:44 AM
He reminds me of Cooney in his unbridled will to run forward and influence the game, make the field in front of him react to what he's doing.

Man I loved Cooney. He could have been a multiple Brownlow winner if his body held up. He was a gun and I loved him so much.

GVGjr
29-11-2023, 08:42 AM
He reminds me of Cooney in his unbridled will to run forward and influence the game, make the field in front of him react to what he's doing.

Man I loved Cooney. He could have been a multiple Brownlow winner if his body held up. He was a gun and I loved him so much.

That's an interesting and a probably very accurate observation and if he becomes anywhere near as good as Cooney that will be a huge positive for the club.

jazzadogs
29-11-2023, 08:53 AM

So you're saying he can ruck?

SquirrelGrip
29-11-2023, 10:06 AM

Smith & Sanders = the new Minson & Cooney?

bulldogtragic
29-11-2023, 10:08 AM
Twomey did a large article on the draft this morning. Mostly not relevant to us. But did say Sanders was coming to us no matter who slipped in the order. We identified him and he was the target. We were an island in the live trading as we thought we had our man at 6 and didn’t want to partake in any live trading.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-11-2023, 10:13 AM
Twomey did a large article on the draft this morning. Mostly not relevant to us. But did say Sanders was coming to us no matter who slipped in the order. We identified him and he was the target. We were an island in the live trading as we thought we had our man at 6 and didn’t want to partake in any live trading.

Yep said we would have taken Sanders over Watson. I'm glad that came out. I was curious who we actually rated higher.

I must say Sanders is a very impressive young man. Listening to his short media interview after his first session with us speaks volumes to his personality. He's a born leader. He's a smart kid. I haven't seen him play but if he's any good he'll be a gun.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-11-2023, 10:15 AM

I wonder where all the talk of us going for Watson came from if it was always Sanders we were after. Was it a smokescreen? Related to not wanting the AFEL to hand him to North?

bulldogtragic
29-11-2023, 10:36 AM
I wonder where all the talk of us going for Watson came from if it was always Sanders we were after. Was it a smokescreen? Related to not wanting the AFEL to hand him to North?

I would love to read an article that we were outraged that Sanders might be gifted to North and KWW, Bains & Grant fought city hall and won.

Grantysghost
29-11-2023, 10:51 AM

That knee injury was really played down. It was a crushing injury for a guy with his traits. Hobbled both his ability and his career.

hujsh
29-11-2023, 01:25 PM

Basically we weren't going to trade no matter what and our priority was midfield rather than forwards. No idea what that means if Duursma slides (probably still go Sanders) but McKercher might potentially have been higher up our order. Seems like it's good for us Hawks were sold on Watson

In making the deal with the Suns the Dogs knew one of McKercher, Duursma, Sanders or Watson would be available. Sanders would have been taken ahead of Watson if both were on the board, with the Dogs prioritising their midfield growth. Their trade with Gold Coast had paid off, with a breakdown of the trade showing they essentially gave up pick 10 and a future first-round pick for pick four (which became five and then six after the compensation pick and bid) and then have their pick 17 to be split for future picks and points.

EasternWest
29-11-2023, 01:31 PM
That's a really good call. I'm making the comparison.

I am happy with either of these comparisons.

My ninja.

Twodogs
29-11-2023, 01:44 PM

And toboggan eskie lids

jeemak
29-11-2023, 05:14 PM
And toboggan eskie lids

That's right! While the eskie slide was fantastic, the other behaviour on display was genuine Australian boorishness that you just hope you don't see when you're overseas.

Dazza
29-11-2023, 06:56 PM
I see a bit of Picken in Sanders

Rudgey88
29-11-2023, 10:39 PM
Interesting that Bevo opening speech to all players revolved around fitness and strength.

Sanders really adds to this.

Will be fascinating to see how we play him next year.

I think the best thing about having Sanders is the fact that we can now release Bont into a more outside role… think 2021 ��

GVGjr
29-11-2023, 10:41 PM
Interesting that Bevo opening speech to all players revolved around fitness and strength.

Sanders really adds to this.

Will be fascinating to see how we play him next year.

I think the best thing about having Sanders is the fact that we can now release Bont into a more outside role… think 2021 ��

I also read on AFL.com.au that we did actually rate Sanders ahead of Watson because of the need to strengthen our midfield.
I agree Sanders will add a fair bit too us.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-11-2023, 10:47 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to see Sanders land a central mid spot round 1. Some of the lack of 2 way running from our mids isn't going to cut it anymore.....I hope.

hujsh
29-11-2023, 11:10 PM
I also read on AFL.com.au that we did actually rate Sanders ahead of Watson because of the need to strengthen our midfield.
I agree Sanders will add a fair bit too us.

Looking back at some of the draft time speculation, it really makes the Hawks based rumor of trading Smith for a swap of 4&5 and a future first even more silly knowing we weren't even that keen on Watson (compared to Sanders).

jazzadogs
30-11-2023, 08:39 AM
Looking back at some of the draft time speculation, it really makes the Hawks based rumor of trading Smith for a swap of 4&5 and a future first even more silly knowing we weren't even that keen on Watson (compared to Sanders).

I wonder if that trade would have happened if we had been confident that North would take Curtin - it would have meant that either Duursma or McKercher were available.

jazzadogs
30-11-2023, 08:41 AM
It wouldn't surprise me to see Sanders land a central mid spot round 1. Some of the lack of 2 way running from our mids isn't going to cut it anymore.....I hope.

It wouldn't surprise me either...but in some ways, I also hope that he doesn't. I hope that his presence drives the experienced guys to a higher level through the off season. That they see the threat to their positions, and actually make changes to the way they play.

Obviously if Sanders is the best performed through the pre season, then I want him to play...but I don't want him to be the best performed.

Rudgey88
30-11-2023, 09:54 AM
Also I still think Macrae will play a central role in the centre next year.

maybe Sanders will play high half forward for a while to begin with.

hujsh
30-11-2023, 10:00 AM
I wonder if that trade would have happened if we had been confident that North would take Curtin - it would have meant that either Duursma or McKercher were available.

Do you think the Hawks were more keen on Watson than those two? Personally I'd expect it means Watson falls to Melbourne

bulldogsthru&thru
30-11-2023, 10:05 AM
It wouldn't surprise me either...but in some ways, I also hope that he doesn't. I hope that his presence drives the experienced guys to a higher level through the off season. That they see the threat to their positions, and actually make changes to the way they play.

Obviously if Sanders is the best performed through the pre season, then I want him to play...but I don't want him to be the best performed.

Agree.

It's a bit of a shame that we're talking about a first year player driving higher standards in senior players.

Grantysghost
30-11-2023, 10:33 AM
Also I still think Macrae will play a central role in the centre next year.

maybe Sanders will play high half forward for a while to begin with.

I agree. We either play him the middle, or we don't play him as I don't see any value in that forward role.

If we don't want to play a 3x AA in his position then either trade the guy or play him in the VFL. I get we signed him for a long term contract which is problematic.

jazzadogs
30-11-2023, 01:33 PM
Do you think the Hawks were more keen on Watson than those two? Personally I'd expect it means Watson falls to Melbourne

I think they would have taken Duursma before Watson. And I think we would take Duursma ahead of Sanders.

I'd suggest our rankings were Reid, McKercher, Duursma, Sanders, Watson - and we were obviously happy with any of those 5 when we traded up.

I think in the scenario of that trade, it would have been
Reid WC
Walter GC
McKercher NM
Curtin NM
Duursma WB
Watson HH
Sanders (or other) Melb

hujsh
30-11-2023, 01:36 PM
I think they would have taken Duursma before Watson. And I think we would take Duursma ahead of Sanders.

I'd suggest our rankings were Reid, McKercher, Duursma, Sanders, Watson - and we were obviously happy with any of those 5 when we traded up.

I think in the scenario of that trade, it would have been
Reid WC
Walter GC
McKercher NM
Curtin NM
Duursma WB
Watson HH
Sanders (or other) Melb
Right if we did the trade and North took Curtin then there might have been value. Probably too risky though

PR0408
30-11-2023, 10:33 PM
Sanders is a brilliant selection for our list going fwd. I doubt he plays early though as I can’t see him playing ahead of our senior mids and doubt bevo would put such high expectations on an 18/19 yr old. Also I wouldn’t play him as a half fwd as it could have a negative impact on Sanders. Let him dominate some vfl footy firsts. These kids don’t need to be rushed.

jeemak
01-12-2023, 02:45 AM
Agree.

It's a bit of a shame that we're talking about a first year player driving higher standards in senior players.

It worked for Geelong with Selwood in 2007, why can't it work for us?

Mavericks
01-12-2023, 04:00 PM
I am impressed with Sanders, has all the attributes to be an elite midfielder. I think with his work ethic and skill set he will play round 1. Looks like a more skilled Bailey Smith to me.

GVGjr
01-12-2023, 04:03 PM
I am impressed with Sanders, has all the attributes to be an elite midfielder. I think with his work ethic and skill set he will play round 1. Looks like a more skilled Bailey Smith to me.

Good call out Mavericks. In one 5 minute patch in a match sim type drill today he kicked the ball perfectly to Naughton 3 times.

Angak
01-12-2023, 04:47 PM

Baz's elite skill is that he can run at a high pace for long periods of time in a game. However, when it comes to the craft of playing in midfield, he often struggles. That's why Bevo hasn't trusted him to play in that role for long periods of a season.

Sanders is a natural midfielder. Just watch him in congestion; he understands when to use hands, legs, or, if needed, just get the ball forward. While not quick, Sanders has this special ability to take one or two steps to create space for himself. couldn't be more excited about this pick.

Dazza
01-12-2023, 05:23 PM

Sounds very promising ��

bulldogtragic
02-12-2023, 07:48 AM
Baz's elite skill is that he can run at a high pace for long periods of time in a game. However, when it comes to the craft of playing in midfield, he often struggles. That's why Bevo hasn't trusted him to play in that role for long periods of a season.

Sanders is a natural midfielder. Just watch him in congestion; he understands when to use hands, legs, or, if needed, just get the ball forward. While not quick, Sanders has this special ability to take one or two steps to create space for himself. couldn't be more excited about this pick.

Baz just can’t hit targets either. The report yesterday Riley hit Naughton lace out three times is absolutely exciting. If our forwards can get reward for effort in leading and marking and the coach to help them convert. Then it’s very exciting. Baz might leave, but then we target another mid who can hit targets too. I hope we can lock Ryley away for an extension quick time.

Hotdog60
02-12-2023, 10:29 AM
Has the club picked up on B.Smith maybe elsewhere come the end of next year and we jumped up in the draft to cover that possibility.

hujsh
02-12-2023, 10:33 AM
Has the club picked up on B.Smith maybe elsewhere come the end of next year and we jumped up in the draft to cover that possibility.
It could be part of why we values mids/Sanders over forwards/Watson

jazzadogs
02-12-2023, 10:36 AM
It could be part of why we values mids/Sanders over forwards/Watson

Also the fact that even with Bailey staying, him and Sanders would be our only two genuine a grade potential young mids.

Mids was clearly a priority over a small forward.

bulldogtragic
02-12-2023, 10:38 AM

Then we should’ve traded him under contract.

Grantysghost
02-12-2023, 11:34 AM

Word.

Grantysghost
02-12-2023, 11:35 AM

I look at it from another angle.

The Hawks didn't pick a mid.

Hotdog60
02-12-2023, 11:48 AM

I agree but as a club we seems to edge our bets too much.

Hotdog60
02-12-2023, 11:50 AM
If Bailey stays and can fix up his disposal I'm all for it. Sometimes it would be nice to be a fly on the wall at the WO recruiting and strategy meetings.

Palace03
02-12-2023, 12:06 PM
Sanders is a brilliant selection for our list going fwd. I doubt he plays early though as I can?t see him playing ahead of our senior mids and doubt bevo would put such high expectations on an 18/19 yr old. Also I wouldn?t play him as a half fwd as it could have a negative impact on Sanders. Let him dominate some vfl footy firsts. These kids don?t need to be rushed.

Very early days but I think Sanders will play from Round 1, could see him taking Scott or even West's spot pretty early. Most young mids start on a HFF or wing, don't think it will be a bad thing for his development, especially if he's already hitting Naughts lace out at training.

Libba and Treloar getting close to the end, get him exposed at AFL level sooner than later.

jeemak
02-12-2023, 07:41 PM
So this guy's already better than Bailey Smith?

If he has nearly the impact Smith's managed by the same age he'll be doing really well. It's a big if, and we undersell Bailey's value when he's playing well.

Twodogs
02-12-2023, 07:45 PM
So this guy's already better than Bailey Smith?

If he has nearly the impact Smith's managed by the same age he'll be doing really well. It's a big if, and we undersell Bailey's value when he's playing well.

We do indeed. The only thing I'd like better than Sanders having the effect that Bailey Smith at his best has on matches is to have Sanders and Bailey Smith having that effect alongside each other in our midfield.

jeemak
02-12-2023, 07:53 PM
We do indeed. The only thing I'd like better than Sanders having the effect that Bailey Smith at his best has on matches is to have Sanders and Bailey Smith having that effect alongside each other in our midfield.

That would be nice!

I get why people are down on Smith, he's not been at his best for a couple of years outside of some excellent patches mixed with ordinary form. But when I think about his upside in lieu of the fact that at the age of 21 he was dominating/ winning finals I hold some confidence he can get back to being an excellent player.

Back to Sanders his first challenge is getting through a preseason, and his second converting match simulation form into practice match form, and then practice match form into some senior games. The good thing is he seems to be well prepared to enable that progression.

Danny Delre
05-12-2023, 03:19 PM
So excited about this kid. Will be an absolute jet

mighty_west
07-12-2023, 03:45 PM
Just something about this kid, awareness and always working hard getting to the next position, really reminds me of JHF with his movements, he plays early for sure, oh and received his Select pick 6 footy card today so i'm an instant fan :)

bornadog
07-12-2023, 03:54 PM
Just something about this kid, awareness and always working hard getting to the next position, really reminds me of JHF with his movements, he plays early for sure, oh and received his Select pick 6 footy card today so i'm an instant fan :)

Good to hear from you MW - it has been awhile

mighty_west
07-12-2023, 04:00 PM
Good to hear from you MW - it has been awhile

Cheers BAD, yeah a little while, about a decade.

Warrnambulldog
07-12-2023, 04:59 PM
Any reason why Sanders can’t be just as good as Will Ashcroft this year?
His numbers would’ve been similar in his draft year surely. Looks a plug-in and play type, go you good thing!
Not sure that affects Macrae, Treloar and Bailey Smiths mid minutes but I hope we don’t play them completely out of position like Treloar off half back. I’m keen to hear how the midfield shapes over the summer

bornadog
07-12-2023, 05:04 PM
Cheers BAD, yeah a little while, about a decade.

Lots to be excited about with the new recruits.

azabob
07-12-2023, 05:15 PM
His numbers would’ve been similar in his draft year surely. Looks a plug-in and play type, go you good thing!
Not sure that affects Macrae, Treloar and Bailey Smiths mid minutes but I hope we don’t play them completely out of position like Treloar off half back. I’m keen to hear how the midfield shapes over the summer

Its an interesting one. Ashcroft pretty much demanded a centre square spot and had been apart of the lions program for a while.

Sanders looks like he'll have to bide his time as a HF who comes up to the contest - this is assuming that is our game plan for 2024 is to still out number the opposition at the contest.

Macrae was clearly played out of position in 2023 and some say Smith was also.

FWIW I seriously hope we go back to the 2016 model of rotating a core group through the CBA although the one constant has to be Bontempelli.

GVGjr
07-12-2023, 06:14 PM

It's a good question but I guess the reason why Ashcroft was the consensus #1 is because he was a brilliant player and his games for the Lions proved that as well. Lets hope he can really put together some great games for us.

Eastdog
07-12-2023, 06:31 PM

Great to have you back MW.

doggies ftw
07-12-2023, 06:46 PM
Its an interesting one. Ashcroft pretty much demanded a centre square spot and had been apart of the lions program for a while.

Sanders looks like he'll have to bide his time as a HF who comes up to the contest - this is assuming that is our game plan for 2024 is to still out number the opposition at the contest.

Macrae was clearly played out of position in 2023 and some say Smith was also.

FWIW I seriously hope we go back to the 2016 model of rotating a core group through the CBA although the one constant has to be Bontempelli.
We?ve gone to one of the most midfield rotations to one of the fewest, even though the personnel hasn?t really changed too much (Dunks the only one of note). It?s a weird one and I understand you basically have to always play Bont & Libba there but we need to reintroduce more rotations through again I agree.

I agree Sanders will likely start Hf but won?t surprise me if he pushes through for a few stints pretty quickly, as his stoppage craft is just that good. Basically I?d like to see us get a few minutes here and there for the likes of West, Harmes, Cody & Sanders in addition to the staples (Bont, Libba, Treloar, Baz, Macrae) - because these guys can add a different look, they all run hard & have a bit more of a hard/defensive edge and I think they can just compliment the core.

Yeah it?s a lot of guys to fit in and they won?t all see midfield minutes every week but we need to be able to go to them and change things up when we need a spark etc, we?ve gone into our shell big time and almost refuse to use the supporting cast and it?s showing in our slow decline in the midfield which used to be our greatest strength imo

CTB
07-12-2023, 07:37 PM
Liked Watson for us initially but the more I looked at Sanders I swung around to him, so rapt we went with him - he is a gun !

Sanders
08-12-2023, 08:25 PM
There are benefits to joining this forum later in life????.like the ability to use the iconic name of club legend!

bulldogtragic
08-12-2023, 08:37 PM
Liked Watson for us initially but the more I looked at Sanders I swung around to him, so rapt we went with him - he is a gun !

Very happy now. Love hearing him hit forwards lace out!

There are benefits to joining this forum later in life????.like the ability to use the iconic name of club legend!

Timing is everything!

The Doctor
08-12-2023, 08:42 PM
Timing is everything!

I know, that's why I never became a drummer.

The Sandman was mighty impressive on the track today

hujsh
12-12-2023, 01:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF5J1c5WiEw&ab_channel=FootyStuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF5J1c5WiEw&ab_channel=FootyStuff
This guy has tons of videos of Sanders if you're bored. I had it pop up in my feed for George Stevens for some reason and looked through to see what players of ours he covered. Gives a bit more perspective than a highlights reel. Can kick 55m comfortably from the look of it

Flipper
13-12-2023, 09:23 PM
Haven't posted here since last year because, well the offseason is my favourite time of the year, when anything is possible and round 1 pummelings and losses to bottom 4 sides hasn't taken the sheen off things. I love reading the training reports and don't post often because I don't always feel like I have anything valuable to add but I really wanted to post here just to say how wrapt I am we got Sanders.
I follow the draft pretty closely, read and watch as much as I can and I wanted Sanders more than any of the other prospects who might have been available.
As a footballer he really doesn't have any flaws and while his highlights might not have been as sexy as other players and the common knock seems to be that he's not as damaging it's really not true. His kicking is really good, again not eye catching darts but well placed, well weighted kicks that are actually easier for forwards to mark.
His movement around packs is really good. He takes small quick steps which allow him to change direction quickly and stay strong over the ball like Libba can but he can also power out of stoppages. He actually tested faster over 20m than 'speedster' McKercher.
He's a strong tackler and had really good awareness of what is happening around him. His handballs are elite, he just times and places them perfectly to draw opponents and release teammates into space.
He's good over head and a nice long shot for goal and is a really smart footballer. Gets to good spots chooses good options and uses his elite endurance to get up and down the grind to help out at both ends.
Honestly think he could end up the best of the draft.

I also think he was very much a list need.
We missed Dunkleys strength and defensive work this year and
We got pummeled out of the middle against Hawthorn when Libba went down.
None of our other mids are drop off the ball in and under mids. They all prefer to get the ball outside if that initial contest. They also tend to like to get the ball on the move which is why we're not good at defending against powerful midfielders who exit the front of the pack.
Sanders is a strong body who'll stand at the back of the pack and make it harder for teams to exit.
On the flip side he's also quite good at bringing the ball out the front of the pack too often looking for aggressive handball options but also driving out himself.
It's a real shame Smith is injured because I feel like the two of them would have connected really well.

Anyway that's my 2 cents. Really looking forward to him running it in the red white and blue.

Also @GVGjr can I please have access to the main training thread. I promise I'll post some more

Twodogs
13-12-2023, 10:38 PM
Haven't posted here since last year because, well the offseason is my favourite time of the year, when anything is possible and round 1 pummelings and losses to bottom 4 sides hasn't taken the sheen off things. I love reading the training reports and don't post often because I don't always feel like I have anything valuable to add but I really wanted to post here just to say how wrapt I am we got Sanders.
I follow the draft pretty closely, read and watch as much as I can and I wanted Sanders more than any of the other prospects who might have been available.
As a footballer he really doesn't have any flaws and while his highlights might not have been as sexy as other players and the common knock seems to be that he's not as damaging it's really not true. His kicking is really good, again not eye catching darts but well placed, well weighted kicks that are actually easier for forwards to mark.
His movement around packs is really good. He takes small quick steps which allow him to change direction quickly and stay strong over the ball like Libba can but he can also power out of stoppages. He actually tested faster over 20m than 'speedster' McKercher.
He's a strong tackler and had really good awareness of what is happening around him. His handballs are elite, he just times and places them perfectly to draw opponents and release teammates into space.
He's good over head and a nice long shot for goal and is a really smart footballer. Gets to good spots chooses good options and uses his elite endurance to get up and down the grind to help out at both ends.

None of our other mids are drop off the ball in and under mids. They all prefer to get the ball outside if that initial contest. They also tend to like to get the ball on the move which is why we're not good at defending against powerful midfielders who exit the front of the pack.
Sanders is a strong body who'll stand at the back of the pack and make it harder for teams to exit.
On the flip side he's also quite good at bringing the ball out the front of the pack too often looking for aggressive handball options but also driving out himself.
It's a real shame Smith is injured because I feel like the two of them would have connected really well.

Anyway that's my 2 cents. Really looking forward to him running it in the red white and blue.

Also @GVGjr can I please have access to the main training thread. I promise I'll post some more

Welcome back.
Great post. You should post more often.

josie
13-12-2023, 10:39 PM
Please post more Flipper. The above is a valuable post. Enjoyed reading it. I also was really looking forward to Baz and Saunders working together on field. Let’s hope Smith’s recovery is a speedy successful one and that we go super deep into finals so we might just see them play together then.

Eastdog
13-12-2023, 11:07 PM
Nice post Flipper. That was a good read. A shame about Baz but I’m looking forward to what Sanders can bring us.

jazzadogs
14-12-2023, 09:56 PM
Definitely agree that he was a list need. When we moved up the order, I wanted the best available mid. We have amazing potential in our key position youth, but our midfield youth has been questionable at best.

I'm excited to see what Sanders can do.

jeemak
15-12-2023, 02:05 AM
Great post Flipper. It's insights like yours and those of some of the other newer posters that help keep this place vibrant.

And the more you post the more you'll all get to interact and become part of what you'll find is an amazing community for discussion outside of the caca you get elsewhere.

Grantysghost
15-12-2023, 08:39 AM

Agree totally, I started as a "Watson wanter", after his bottom age year had me super keen. Then the more I saw of Sanders after we moved up the order, he was the one I wanted the most.
Super post flipper, please post more!

Mantis
15-12-2023, 08:55 AM
Great post Flipper. It's insights like yours and those of some of the other newer posters that help keep this place vibrant.

And the more you post the more you'll all get to interact and become part of what you'll find is an amazing community for discussion outside of the caca you get elsewhere.

There is plenty of caca here, but perhaps less when EW isn't around (hope he misses this!)... but as you rightly pointed lots of insightful, thoughtful and thought-provoking stuff too.

Flipper
15-12-2023, 01:56 PM
Agree totally, I started as a "Watson wanter", after his bottom age year had me super keen. Then the more I saw of Sanders after we moved up the order, he was the one I wanted the most.
Super post flipper, please post more!
The other reason that I liked Sanders over Watson was that Watson can have a purple patch then go missing for long periods which is a problem the whole team has.
Sanders is super consistent and is the sort of player who stands up when the team needs it, like when the opposition is getting a run on.
A real lead by example player.

Flipper
15-12-2023, 01:57 PM

Haha yes it is nice not to have to wade through pages of garbage to get to the good stuff.

Flipper
15-12-2023, 01:59 PM
There is plenty of caca here, but perhaps less when EW isn't around (hope he misses this!)... but as you rightly pointed lots of insightful, thoughtful and thought-provoking stuff too.

Haha It's the off season so peak time for caca

Bulldog Joe
15-12-2023, 03:59 PM
The other reason that I liked Sanders over Watson was that Watson can have a purple patch then go missing for long periods which is a problem the whole team has.
Sanders is super consistent and is the sort of player who stands up when the team needs it, like when the opposition is getting a run on.

We certainly need players who stand up when needed.

Really hoping your assessment of Sanders proves prophetic as he leads us to a flag or 4

Uninformed
15-12-2023, 05:13 PM

Agree with your thoughts on Sanders. Fancied Watson at first, but as I saw more of Sanders vision I was totally sold. To me he looks a better proposition than McKercher. When they played together McKercher seemed to feed off Sanders. Sanders stats were better (and I think he kicked more goals than Watson!) And he beat beat him for the Larke medal.

With our surplus of quality talls, a gun mid. like Sanders was a great get.

(All this qualified by never having seen him live and only by way of online offerings.)

Flipper
15-12-2023, 07:04 PM
Agree with your thoughts on Sanders. Fancied Watson at first, but as I saw more of Sanders vision I was totally sold. To me he looks a better proposition than McKercher. When they played together McKercher seemed to feed off Sanders. Sanders stats were better (and I think he kicked more goals than Watson!) And he beat beat him for the Larke medal.

(All this qualified by never having seen him live and only by way of online offerings.)

Yeah I should qualify that I didn't see any live games but saw a few in full.

It's a tough one between McKercher and Sanders.

McKercher definitely benefited from Sanders ability to feed him the ball in space but he does have some amazing agility at full speed and can hit some freakish kicks on the run.

Sanders does less freakish things but more frequently does really high quality things.

Mofra
15-12-2023, 08:36 PM

See I saw it differently, granted I focused more on the champs than NAB league.
I'm an amateur hack, but I really think McKercher will have a better career than Reid. His run and spread is incredible and that's the way football is trending. What is Reid? He screams class utility but I'd take the player who is a gun in one position over 'very good' in multiple.
I had no idea who Sanders was pre-champs but during the games you couldn't take your eye off him. For an inside mid, he really does nail that short 45 kick time and time again. Sam Walsh has insane endurance, but reduce that running capacity to just 'very good' and you get Sanders in his NAB league year.

And I still think Jed Walter was the best kid available this year. I have no idea what North were thinking letting him slide to pick 3.

EasternWest
15-12-2023, 10:01 PM

Always watching Wazowski

Grantysghost
15-12-2023, 10:21 PM
Always watching Wazowski

Love your posts mate, don't be shy.

Uninformed
15-12-2023, 10:37 PM
Yeah I should qualify that I didn't see any live games but saw a few in full.

It's a tough one between McKercher and Sanders.

McKercher definitely benefited from Sanders ability to feed him the ball in space but he does have some amazing agility at full speed and can hit some freakish kicks on the run.

Sanders does less freakish things but more frequently does really high quality things.

Yeah, there is lots to love with McKercher, but in the end I was more inclined toward the consistently good output of Sanders over the more exciting speed and brilliance of McKercher. At one stage I thought North might take Duursma and Curtin from the reports that Clarkson was into Curtin. Made sense with the state of their backline. That could have left us with the choice of McKercher and Sanders. Who would you have taken in that hypothetical?

Uninformed
15-12-2023, 10:43 PM
See I saw it differently, granted I focused more on the champs than NAB league.
I'm an amateur hack, but I really think McKercher will have a better career than Reid. His run and spread is incredible and that's the way football is trending. What is Reid? He screams class utility but I'd take the player who is a gun in one position over 'very good' in multiple.
I had no idea who Sanders was pre-champs but during the games you couldn't take your eye off him. For an inside mid, he really does nail that short 45 kick time and time again. Sam Walsh has insane endurance, but reduce that running capacity to just 'very good' and you get Sanders in his NAB league year.

And I still think Jed Walter was the best kid available this year. I have no idea what North were thinking letting him slide to pick 3.

The other one for me was Curtin. I saw clips where he beat Walter one on one a few times. Just clips but I was really surprised he got to 8. Thought North would have taken him.

The wisdom of bundling the three firsts to get into that talent pool is starting to look pretty good for us though. It will be fascinating to see which among that top eight end up with the best career.

EasternWest
15-12-2023, 10:49 PM
Love your posts mate, don't be shy.

That could be the first time I've ever been called shy in my life :).

Dazza
16-12-2023, 10:43 AM
Really feel like this kid will be a star for us. Think in hindsight we won't mind what we gave up for him.

ledge
16-12-2023, 11:41 AM
Really feel like this kid will be a star for us. Think in hindsight we won't mind what we gave up for him.
Would we relate him Cooney like ? I mean football wise of course .

Flipper
16-12-2023, 09:21 PM
Yeah, there is lots to love with McKercher, but in the end I was more inclined toward the consistently good output of Sanders over the more exciting speed and brilliance of McKercher. At one stage I thought North might take Duursma and Curtin from the reports that Clarkson was into Curtin. Made sense with the state of their backline. That could have left us with the choice of McKercher and Sanders. Who would you have taken in that hypothetical?

That's a tough one. Obviously McKercher could fill an immediate need on a wing and I feel like his his best will be really good but there's something about the way Sanders goes about his footy that just make me feel like he'll lift everyone around him.
Really not much in it and maybe it's just because Sanders is a dog that unconscious bias is slipping in but think I'd still go Sanders

Flipper
16-12-2023, 09:29 PM
Would we relate him Cooney like ? I mean football wise of course .

I don't think he's got the same high end speed, especially over longer distances.
It's a bit of a funny one and, to be honest it's just based on foggy memories of a few matches, but he kind of reminds me of Dane Swan. Maybe it's the stocky build and the short fast steps but I feel like they're both composed and agile in congestion and just keep running and getting to the right spots.

silverreaver
18-12-2023, 01:45 AM

Absolutely - he's got everything he needs to succeed as a footballer. It will be interesting to see how he fares in the preseason games, particularly considering he's likely to debut round 1.

SquirrelGrip
18-12-2023, 09:43 AM
Loved the interview on the club website with his Dad Adam. His advice?

Adam Sanders

Just to make sure he?s putting everything into it and setting his career up. So do the extras, do the, you know, all the extra training, all the extra recovery, get your diet right so get all the habits right, for the rest of your career hopefully.

Definitely has strong family support and head screwed on properly.

stefoid
20-12-2023, 12:42 PM
Just remember that the two 1sts we paid with this year turned out to be 13 and 23 in the end

We still would have had to burn 13 for lower picks , or spend it on croft, because GWS would have bid on Croft at 12 to keep us away from Leake.

A future 1st, pick 23 and whatever pick 13 would have turned into -> thats what we paid for Sanders and a good chunk of Croft.

hujsh
20-12-2023, 12:55 PM
Just remember that the two 1sts we paid with this year turned out to be 13 and 23 in the end

We still would have had to burn 13 for lower picks , or spend it on croft, because GWS would have bid on Croft at 12 to keep us away from Leake.

A future 1st, pick 23 and whatever pick 13 would have turned into -> thats what we paid for Sanders and a good chunk of Croft.

Yeah given the F/S and academy picks the only real risk with the trade is what the future first becomes next year. If it's a bad year and ends up being high pick (taking into account next year's F/S and academy picks) then it will look pretty bad. But even a decent year (top 10, not even finals) probably makes the trade look okay assuming there's a decently compromised draft again next year.

bornadog
20-12-2023, 01:56 PM
Yeah given the F/S and academy picks the only real risk with the trade is what the future first becomes next year. If it's a bad year and ends up being high pick (taking into account next year's F/S and academy picks) then it will look pretty bad. But even a decent year (top 10, not even finals) probably makes the trade look okay assuming there's a decently compromised draft again next year.

I still don't like the fact we don't have a first round pick next year. (at this stage)

bulldogtragic
20-12-2023, 02:03 PM

The way I look at it is a bit simpler. Pick 23 is virtually equal to the picks we got from GCS this year at the time we used them after shuffling (only 100 points less - made up by the Aints trade with Coffield). So if you cancel them out as it was a points trade to get Sanders.

It’s essentially, to my thinking, Pick 13 & F1 for Pick 6 & F3.

That’s a good trade for a kid seemingly as good as Sanders, while securing Croft, and grabbing Freijah/Smith while getting the extra third in order to get Harmes.

It’s looking very good at this early stage.

Bulldog Joe
20-12-2023, 05:56 PM

A big year from Sanders plus break outs from Darcy and Jamarra and we can make that future first 19 before Academy/Father Son Picks.

GVGjr
22-12-2023, 10:41 AM
I seem to recall some hesitation from some supporters on drafting a player from Tassie given their impending introduction into the AFL.
Has Ryley's outstanding preseason form helped ease those concerns or is it still in the back of your mind.

Another area of concern was essentially using 3 x 1st round picks to get us up to the top end of the draft order. So again does all the encouraging news of Sanders progress so far and the form the has displayed helped ease any concerns?

hujsh
22-12-2023, 10:51 AM
I seem to recall some hesitation from some supporters on drafting a player from Tassie given their impending introduction into the AFL.
Has Ryley's outstanding preseason form helped ease those concerns or is it still in the back of your mind.

Another area of concern was essentially using 3 x 1st round picks to get us up to the top end of the draft order. So again does all the encouraging news of Sanders progress so far and the form the has displayed helped ease any concerns?

My main concern was actually that he might be try to replicate his favourite player as a child, Garry Ablett Jr and be the face of a new franchise. That fact it's in Tasmania actually makes me more comfortable it won't happen and his having already lived in Melbourne a couple years helps too.

bornadog
22-12-2023, 10:53 AM

The go home to Tassie factor will always be in the back of my mind, but we did the right thing to snag pick 6 - no regrets there

GVGjr
22-12-2023, 11:25 AM
The go home to Tassie factor will always be in the back of my mind, but we did the right thing to snag pick 6 - no regrets there

Do you have the same concerns will all interstate draftees or is it just the fact that the new team in Tassie being a big deal might pose an even greater risk?

When I consider Sanders, he's boarded in Melbourne for 2 years and now he's signed in with us. By the time a team in Tassie becomes a real consideration he's probably been in Melbourne for 5 or 6 years and will have a variety of new friends all based here.
He's a Launceston boy as well and I doubt he has strong ties to Hobart. I guess it's a consideration but at some point backing the club and culture here should be more than enough.

Grantysghost
22-12-2023, 11:36 AM
No concerns for me. They will get loads of concessions. So 3x first round picks and they can have him.

azabob
22-12-2023, 11:45 AM
My main concern was actually that he might be try to replicate his favourite player as a child, Garry Ablett Jr and be the face of a new franchise. That fact it's in Tasmania actually makes me more comfortable it won't happen and his having already lived in Melbourne a couple years helps too.

Wasn't one of Ablett's drivers to step outside of the other Geelong players shadows and show he actually is an out and out gun with or without support from his teamates?

It also seemed his relationship with Mark Thompson was quite strained, which makes sense in hindsight...

azabob
22-12-2023, 11:48 AM

I have no concerns at all about Sanders leaving Melbourne for Tasmania.

He made a considered decision to leave Tassie to board in Melbourne to get the best out of himself as an underager. He will have spent a good 5-6 years living in Melbourne by the time Tassie comes in.

Draft picks wise, it is what it is. We gave them up but damn, from all reports it looks like a really astute decision.

Clearly both points of concern won't be known for a number of years.

bornadog
22-12-2023, 11:51 AM
Do you have the same concerns will all interstate draftees or is it just the fact that the new team in Tassie being a big deal might pose an even greater risk?

To be in the inaugural team, a foundation member and represent your State must be a lure for any Footballer.

hujsh
22-12-2023, 12:25 PM
Wasn't one of Ablett's drivers to step outside of the other Geelong players shadows and show he actually is an out and out gun with or without support from his teamates?

It also seemed his relationship with Mark Thompson was quite strained, which makes sense in hindsight...

It's less about what Ablett's motivations were and more that Sanders may want to follow in the footsteps of Ablett. I'm pretty comfortable that by the time Tassie pop up he'll be mature enough to stay if that's what he thinks is best though

bulldogsthru&thru
22-12-2023, 12:40 PM
It'll really depend how we're travelling when the Tassie team starts. Im not really concerned. If we're in the thick of finals I can't see him leaving. It's not like he'll be in the twilight of his career and looking for a new challenge or pay day. Tassie is likely to get smashed for at least a couple of seasons. Doubt a player would want to waste some of their prime years getting whacked each week.

If we're out of finals contention then it might be a different story but the draft picks we get with him leaving might help a rebuild anyway.

Trade wise, it's looking better after looking at BTs analysis. Still too early to tell though. He hasn't played a game and we'd still want to make finals for the trade to look any good. But at this point it doesn't look nearly as bad as when the trade was first floated given all the factors BT has pointed out post trade period.

LifeLongBulldog
22-12-2023, 10:43 PM
From reading the reports it seems like Sanders is a great chance for the round one team especially with Bailey Smith going out. For anyone watching the match sim games, where has he been mainly playing? Is it mainly midfield, midfield/wing or midfield/half forward flank? Do you think the match committee would risk playing him against the quality midfields that Melbourne have?

GVGjr
22-12-2023, 10:49 PM
From reading the reports it seems like Sanders is a great chance for the round one team especially with Bailey Smith going out. For anyone watching the match sim games, where has he been mainly playing? Is it mainly midfield, midfield/wing or midfield/half forward flank? Do you think the match committee would risk playing him against the quality midfields that Melbourne have?

Just about pure midfield. In Jan the match sims will be increased from 2 or 3 terms to 4 quarters and a few more from Footscray will join the match sims so it will be interesting to note where he gets a rest. I suspect it will be across half forward.

Jumping Jones
26-12-2023, 01:39 PM
Here’s to hoping he will be an upgrade on Dunkley. More damaging and quicker

Hotdog60
05-02-2024, 09:17 AM
A need to be great: Young rivals, veteran Dogs inspire Sanders

Already turning heads at Whitten Oval for his inquisitiveness and work ethic, Ryley Sanders is ready to take the AFL by storm in his debut season

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2024/02/03/46636961-4e55-4693-a361-f7e3698da3fc/Sanders.jpg?width=1064&height=600

RYLEY Sanders doesn't stop asking questions. He is hardwired that way. New Western Bulldogs teammates Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar and Tom Liberatore are now all on the receiving end of probing questions from the inquisitive teenager. And so is Greater Western Sydney bull Tom Green.

The pair have never met in person, at least not yet. But they are cut from the same cloth. Both arrived in the AFL as top-10 picks, ready to go at the next level, after growing up in pockets of the country with rich football heritage ? Launceston for Sanders, Canberra for Green ? albeit ones that are somewhat off-Broadway. Both are in a hurry to be not just good, but great. And both played for the Allies in the under-18 national championships.

It was there, playing for Mark McVeigh's all-conquering side comprising players from Tasmania, Queensland, New South Wales/ACT and the Northern Territory, where Sanders captured Green's attention. After hearing the Giants star, who is one of his favourite players, praise him on a podcast, Sanders reached out via Instagram for advice on how best to transition to the next level. Green responded with an essay and they have remained in contact since.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2024/02/03/b523bec4-80d1-447b-bca2-9e17d7ce873e/ME201123DP045132336.jpg?width=1064&height=600

Not many inside the Whitten Oval have seen a draftee enter the system so prepared for the rigours of pre-season training, one so determined to learn. Not many have seen someone handle so well the step up in match simulation against a midfield stacked with experienced stars. It is why Luke Beveridge has been thrilled with his start to life at the kennel, and why Sanders will start 2024 as one of the favourites for the Rising Star Award.

Bontempelli has shown the 19-year-old how to handle the step up in training standards. Treloar has demonstrated how to recover to an elite level that will allow him to back-up at training day after day. Liberatore is Liberatore. That signature competitive streak has rubbed off on the 186cm midfielder, who has hit the ground running since being selected at pick No.6 in last November's AFL Draft.

"I think it is really important to make an impact in your first months at the club because that first impression lasts a long time on your teammates. I've been trying to come across as a good teammate and a good person," Sanders tells AFL.com.au during the Western Bulldogs' pre-season camp on the Sunshine Coast.

"There has been stuff on my professionalism in the past, but I only do it because I love it. I know a lot of boys that got drafted in the first round that don't do much stretching or recovery, but I do it because I know I'm getting the best out of myself. Everyone is different, some prioritise other things. I love being at the club (and) having access to great physios, myotherapists, massages, strength and conditioning. Ladey [Brendon Lade] has been great as midfield coach and Bevo [Luke Beveridge] has given me a lot of confidence."
Sanders hasn't had to search too far for a roadmap navigating the path ahead. North Melbourne young gun Harry Sheezel is not only one of his closest friends, but one of his closest confidantes. The pair connected shortly after the North Launceston product relocated to Victoria to attend Melbourne Grammar on an Indigenous bursary at the start of 2022. They share the same manager, Nick Gieschen from Connors Sports Management.

Sanders and Sheezel played together at the Sandringham Dragons and won the 2022 NAB League Grand Final over the Dandenong Stingrays. Having someone 12 months ahead of his football journey has provided Sanders with a clear vision on what's required at the next level. Sheezel not only won the Rising Star in 2023, but also became the first player to win a best and fairest in his debut season since Darren Mead at Port Adelaide in 1997. Mead was 26 at the time, Sheezel didn't turn 19 until October, underlining the remarkable feat in thick, red Texta.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2024/02/03/95f7b094-4300-4873-ba70-5b83110cafcc/NABGFDSSD22DPP754020416.jpg?width=1064&height=600

"Sheez has given me a lot of motivation," Sanders says. "If I have anywhere near the impact he has had, I'll be so happy. It has given me a lot of motivation. When you know him and you know what he does and the ups and downs he goes through, that has given me a lot of motivation. I haven't played games yet, but I wanted to come in and be confident and back (my) skills in straight away.

"Harry is one of my best mates. We talk all the time, checking in on each other. All throughout my 17th year when I struggled with homesickness and didn't have my best year, he was always checking in on me. He went pick No.3 and I wanted to be a high pick, too. He really has been one of the biggest impacts on my footy. I tell him that ? he means a lot to me. I really want to have an impact straight away on the Bulldogs like he has had at North. We are in different scenarios with the Bulldogs being more mature, but his tips have helped me."

If Sheezel didn't have the answer, Will Ashcroft usually did. Sanders is also close with the Brisbane midfielder, but even tighter with his younger brother Levi, who looms is another Sandringham Dragons product destined to be a high pick come November.

Sanders knows Sheezel set an extremely high bar last season, but expect the driven young midfielder to be doing everything in his kitbag to emulate his great mate in his debut season. Not just for himself, but to reward those like Western Bulldogs list boss Sam Power, national recruiting manager Dom Milesi ? and their team ? who staked their reputations on him over other options at that coveted No.6 pick.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2024/02/03/ffe203dc-85b0-451b-9419-462572ecb749/ME201123DB1024.jpeg?width=1064&height=600

"I'm a pretty humble person, but I definitely think I can do it [perform at the level in year one]," he says. "It's just getting used to AFL standard at training and in match sim. The midfield here is stacked, so playing against those players will hold me in good stead if I play early. I definitely think if I keep getting better and learning off these boys, I can have an impact.

"I'm very loyal, so the Bulldogs taking me at pick No.6, I want to repay them as soon as I can. I want to make sure Sammy Power and Dom and all their team get to the end of this year and go, 'Jeez we?re happy we took Ryley' not, 'I wish we took this or that'. I want to repay the faith. I'm a loyal person, so I want to play well for them and obviously for myself and my family and really want to help the team get back to the finals and hopefully win a premiership, because we've got a really good list. Hopefully we can get back up there."

That should be music to Power and Milesi's ears, but it won't be revelatory. Sanders' form in 2023 wasn't the only reason they picked him where they did. Yes, he won the Larke Medal, led the Allies to a maiden title and earned All-Australian selection as captain after averaging 35.5 disposals, 14.3 contested possessions and four clearances per game, before winning a second Talent League premiership to stamp himself as one of the best midfielders in the pool. Yet the on-field only tells one side of the story. The interview process and psych testing confirmed everything the recruiting department's instincts told them when they went around the country watching Sanders play.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2024/02/03/0039c335-b5f6-4cbf-bada-e22265455c3e/TR271123MH045203052.jpg?width=1064&height=600

In the days immediately after November's AFL Draft, Bulldogs player welfare manager Brent Prismall was helping the draftees organise living arrangements when he reached out to the Sanders family with a somewhat unusual proposition. Despite having just been delisted by the club weeks earlier, Mitch Hannan wanted to help one of the new faces adjust to life in the AFL. Sanders was the perfect fit.

"I knew it was the right move when pretty much everyone at the club told me he was a great person and a great bloke," Sanders says. "I've felt that. We talk footy a little bit, but it is good to have a big brother to learn off, who understands the ups and downs and the pressures of AFL."

Regardless of how many games Sanders plays for the Western Bulldogs, or in the AFL, North Melbourne will always be an early chapter woven into his memoir. They almost had him. And he almost thought he was going to Arden Street. Almost.

Sanders was approved as a member of the Kangaroos' Next Generation Academy in late September after applying for and receiving his certificate of Aboriginality mid-year, following a long process that first gained traction when North made contact when he was 13.

But despite the club's hope to gain priority access to him as part of the League's assistance package, the AFL Commission chose not to alter the rules: NGA bids can only be matched after pick No.40 and Sanders was never going to be available so late. North received three end-of-first-round selections across 2023 and 2024, but didn't get access to Sanders, ending months of uncertainty.

"I was waiting for a while for it to be ticked off, and when it finally did, it was interesting. It looked really likely that I was going to North Melbourne at one point, and I was talking to Sheez and we were excited," he says.

"It all turned around and I knew that it wasn't going to happen talking to Nick [Gieschen] and (North Melbourne list manager) Brady [Rawlings] and (North Melbourne recruiting manager) Will Thursfield.

"I didn't care to be honest. I would have been happy to go to North, but I'm so happy I'm here. I would have been happy to go to Hawthorn or whatever. I wasn't too fussed. It wasn't as if I was so set on North that when it didn't happen, I was shattered. I just wanted clarity, I just wanted to be told. It did play on my mind a bit, if I?m being honest, but I tried to not worry about it."

North Melbourne could have still picked Sanders given they had two picks before the Western Bulldogs selected him. Instead, they took Colby McKercher at No.2 and Gippsland Power forward Zane Duursma at No.4, clearing the path for Sanders to head west.

Like all Tasmanian kids who go to bed dreaming about being drafted and playing on the hallowed turf of the MCG, Sanders has always known he would have to move away from home if things went to plan. It was part of the reason he chose to move to Victoria to finish his schooling, even if it took time for him to accept the offer. And it's the reason he stayed. He knew the opportunity at Melbourne Grammar ? Gieschen's brother Rhy recruited him to the school when he was director of football before he joined Richmond as Victorian recruiting manager ? was far too good to let a bout of homesickness in Year 11 return him to Launceston.

"I struggled big time at the start in Year 11 and it probably had a negative impact on my footy," he says. "It was hard because I was homesick and I wanted to go home, but my gut told me that it was the best thing for me. As a Tassie boy, I've always known that I was going to have to move away. There is no ifs, buts or maybes. Nick Watson or Nate Caddy had a different kind of uncertainty; they could stay in Melbourne or move interstate. We all know we're going. That was part of my decision.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/09/24/daa006a1-d356-4058-88d2-85f18dbf2e51/CTLBGFSaEa23KD043363588.jpg?width=1064&height=600

"It was tough being away from friends and family in Year 11, but Year 12 was amazing. I loved the boarding house, especially with playing footy. I tried to have a good positive impact on younger kids. There were a lot of boys from Darwin in the boarding house who love footy, so I just tried to have a good impact on them, showing them as great as footy is and as much as you want to get drafted, use the opportunity at Melbourne Grammar to advance academically.

"I remember when I was that age, Dad was coaching Tarryn Thomas and he treated me unbelievably, he was so nice to me and made me feel really good. I've always remembered that and always tried to do the same. I can't thank Melbourne Grammar enough for the way they treated me and gave me such an unreal opportunity."

In the end, Sanders has only had to move from the boarding house in South Yarra to the inner west. He will continue to repay the school by remaining involved this year, helping coach Leigh Clarke and director of football Brad Gotch with the First XVIII. Former Collingwood and Sydney livewire Robbie Ahmat became a mentor over the past two years as Melbourne Grammar's Indigenous Program Manager, someone who educated him about his Aboriginal ancestry, so his loyalty to the school runs deep.

Hotdog60
05-02-2024, 09:18 AM
Sanders has been around elite underage programs from well before he was eligible to be selected in them. His dad, Adam, is football royalty in Launceston. He played a role in reviving the game in that neck of the woods before becoming coach of the Tassie Mariners and being involved in the talent pathways program, helping develop the next generation of Tasmanians entering the AFL. Former first-round picks Kade Kolodjashnij and Jesse Longeran were drafted to Gold Coast in consecutive drafts after being coached by Adam, prompting Sanders to become a Suns supporter and leading him to idolise dual Brownlow Medallist Gary Ablett Jnr.

"Dad is 99 per cent of the footballer that I am today," he says. "Growing up around footy, he knew all these elite standards and what needed to get me drafted from the age of nine or ten. When I was young, he was on to me about my technique when we would go for a kick. Looking back at it now, it's been so good because the skills of the game are so important.

"He would watch my game and do his own report for me with edits. I know when he's doing that he is doing that from a coach's point of view, not from a dad's point of view. I'm so grateful having him, I feel like it’s been a big advantage for me."

Expect more Sanders tales to surface across 2024. Like the morning new signing James Harmes turned up more than an hour ahead of schedule because he left his home in Bentleigh far too early to avoid any traffic delays, only to find one player already there working on his touch. It was Sanders.

Sanders has lived a curious football journey ahead of a debut that will be against Melbourne on March 17 if he maintains his pre-season form. That journey is only getting started, one that has plenty of chapters to come. And plenty of questions left for him to ask.

LINKhttps://www.afl.com.au/news/1074740/western-bulldogs-midfielder-ryley-sanders-inspired-by-tom-green-and-harry-sheezel-in-rise-to-afl

bornadog
05-02-2024, 09:45 AM
I can see him playing round 1 - looks like we have a beauty on our hands

GVGjr
05-02-2024, 10:04 AM
I can see him playing round 1 - looks we have a beauty on our hands

It appears we really had him targeted and we did pay up a bit to position ourselves for him. He has to be very much in the mix for round one selection.

ledge
05-02-2024, 10:21 AM
If we were to pick a player who he will be like would Buckley be a good comparison ?
I’m thinking him or a Pendlebury/ Bont where everything seems to slow down around them.
I haven’t seen him live but would I be right in my thoughts ?

GVGjr
05-02-2024, 10:35 AM
If we were to pick a player who he will be like would Buckley be a good comparison ?
I’m thinking him or a Pendlebury/ Bont where everything seems to slow down around them.

From a Dogs perspective to me he is a slightly less explosive version of Ryan Griffen. Compared to more recent players then he's also got a bit of Horne-Francis about him as well.

hujsh
05-02-2024, 10:44 AM
From a Dogs perspective to me he is a slightly less explosive version of Ryan Griffen. Compared to more recent players then he's also got a bit of Horne-Francis about him as well.

Maybe less explosive but more composed?

SquirrelGrip
05-02-2024, 10:49 AM

From what I've seen, he has a touch of Greg Williams about him.

GVGjr
05-02-2024, 11:08 AM
Maybe less explosive but more composed?

Good call. I always felt that Griffen was a bit impatient so yes, Sanders is more composed.

bornadog
05-02-2024, 11:41 AM
From what I've seen, he has a touch of Greg Williams about him.

hopefully not as slow

EasternWest
05-02-2024, 12:43 PM
I look forward to the next inevitable "he's a dud" commentary after game one when he doesn't have 36 touches and 3 goals.

SquirrelGrip
05-02-2024, 01:16 PM
hopefully not as slow

No, his foot speed is certainly ahead of Diesel, but I think his hands are as quick as the dual Brownlow Medallist, plus he has the inherent ability to be in the right spot at the right time.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-02-2024, 01:27 PM
I can't remember too many rivalling him for praise this early on.

Maybe Smith but that seemed more around work ethic. I feel like Bont started a little slow and it wasn't until a few months into the season he exploded.

Cooney was a bit of a slow burn initially, Griff might be the other.

Either way, easy to see why we wanted him. We really value character and he has this in spades, let alone his ability on the ground.

mjp
05-02-2024, 01:32 PM

Maybe Smith but that seemed more around work ethic. I feel like Bont started a little slow and it wasn't until a few months into the season he exploded.

Cooney was a bit fat and lazy initially, Griff might be the other.

Either way, easy to see why we wanted him. We really value character and he has this in spades, let alone his ability on the ground.

I fixed it for you.

GVGjr
05-02-2024, 01:35 PM

Cooney was a bit of a slow burn initially, Griff might be the other.

It's really hard to compare anyone's first season to Bailey Smith's but Sanders is getting a lot of praise for his competitiveness and his composure in the middle. Let's hope he gets off to a good start.

ledge
05-02-2024, 03:13 PM
I look forward to the next inevitable "he's a dud" commentary after game one when he doesn't have 36 touches and 3 goals.

That’s more like bomber supporters not ours :-)
Bulldog supporter were very patient on JUH , the media weren’t but that turned pretty quick.

Happy Days
05-02-2024, 04:02 PM

But can he hit a leading forward 9 times out of 10?

jeemak
05-02-2024, 04:39 PM

If he gets to the age of 22 and his highlights package isn't just him hitting leading forwards I'll be writing him off.

EasternWest
05-02-2024, 05:36 PM

If he gets to the age of 22 and his highlights package isn't just him hitting leading forwards I'll be writing him off.

I mean, you laugh, but literally one of the first comments made about him in match sim.on here was that he hit Naughton on the chest on the lead three times in a row.

Checkmate atheists.

MrMahatma
05-02-2024, 05:48 PM

Maybe he will get 36 and 3 goals.

EasternWest
05-02-2024, 06:06 PM
Maybe he will get 36 and 3 goals.

I'm safe because there are no narcs on this board.

azabob
05-02-2024, 06:27 PM
I mean, you laugh, but literally one of the first comments made about him in match sim.on here was that he hit Naughton on the chest on the lead three times in a row.

Checkmate atheists.

Narc

EasternWest
05-02-2024, 07:18 PM
Narc

Damn. Hoisted by my own petard.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-02-2024, 08:11 PM
I'm safe because there are no narcs on this board.
That's exactly the sort thing a narc would say........

Twodogs
05-02-2024, 08:41 PM
What's a myotherapist?

Twodogs
05-02-2024, 08:42 PM
Narc

It's always the quiet ones

josie
05-02-2024, 09:28 PM
Thanks for posting that article Hotdog. It was a great read. Bravo Mitch Hannan - what a top bloke, helping Sanders settle in, even though Mitch was delisted a few weeks prior.

jazzadogs
07-02-2024, 08:53 AM

There's only one Dean Polo.

Axe Man
07-02-2024, 10:30 AM
What's a myotherapist?

Sort of like a more qualified massage therapist.

EasternWest
07-02-2024, 12:11 PM
What's a myotherapist?

A masseuse that doesn't have a multicoloured neon light in their front window at 9 pm on a Tuesday.

Sedat
07-02-2024, 12:15 PM
A masseuse that doesn't have a multicoloured neon light in their front window at 9 pm on a Tuesday.
It's heart-warming to see that some industries have thrived in this difficult economic climate.

The trifecta is a multi-coloured neon sign coupled with a picture of hot stones and foot reflexology pressure points for faux remedial authenticity.

bornadog
07-02-2024, 05:27 PM
It's heart-warming to see that some industries have thrived in this difficult economic climate.

The trifecta is a multi-coloured neon sign coupled with a picture of hot stones and foot reflexology pressure points for faux remedial authenticity.

Note: not rude - funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkPpxbg9DEE&ab_channel=MrAmazingTut

SquirrelGrip
08-02-2024, 09:56 AM
What's a myotherapist?

A short-sighted masseuse.

Or maybe that's a myopictherapist?

josie
08-02-2024, 04:32 PM

Post of the day-thx for that chuckle SqGr.

Twodogs
08-02-2024, 08:33 PM

It sounds funny but I can't quite see what it says. I'm even squinting and everything

Grantysghost
08-02-2024, 08:36 PM
It sounds funny but I can't quite see what it says. I'm even squinting and everything
You were spotting squirrels!

Mantis
09-02-2024, 11:53 AM

You sound well researched on this topic.

EasternWest
09-02-2024, 06:01 PM
You sound well researched on this topic.

Gotta know where to get the best therapy is.

jeemak
12-02-2024, 02:35 AM
Note: not rude - funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkPpxbg9DEE&ab_channel=MrAmazingTut

Am I the only person openly acknowledging BAD posted this? :D

Twodogs
12-02-2024, 02:36 AM
Am I the only person openly acknowledging BAD posted this?

Yes. No. Yes.

I'm scared

bornadog
12-02-2024, 09:48 AM
Am I the only person openly acknowledging BAD posted this? :D

Well I thought it was funny

Sedat
14-02-2024, 04:18 PM
Gotta know where to get the best therapy is.
Not sure if this industry or the illegal cigarette industry is flying higher in this otherwise difficult economic climate. Both seem to be going gang-busters.

Axe Man
14-02-2024, 04:22 PM
Not sure if this industry or the illegal cigarette industry is flying higher in this otherwise difficult economic climate. Both seem to be going gang-busters.

At least massage parlors aren't being fire bombed are they?

ledge
14-02-2024, 06:44 PM
I’m surprised KFC arent running some kind of promotion with Sanders .
Free upgrade if he kicks a goal and you show your a member.
They should be sponsoring him.
How long before we see a Colonel banner in the cheer squad ?

SquirrelGrip
15-02-2024, 02:25 PM
I?m surprised KFC arent running some kind of promotion with Sanders .

Shouldn't be far off ...

https://i.postimg.cc/3wmW1RQ6/Ryley.jpg (https://postimg.cc/065829Qd)

Axe Man
15-02-2024, 02:38 PM
I’m surprised KFC arent running some kind of promotion with Sanders .

We are sponsored by McDonalds so I imagine that would be a no go.

ledge
15-02-2024, 02:56 PM
We are sponsored by McDonalds so I imagine that would be a no go.

We don’t have a McDonald time to swap.
O’Donnell isn’t close enough.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-02-2024, 06:24 PM
Our next premiership will be delivered by Ryley Sanders.
He gifts forwards a mark, what others except Bont do not!
Do not tell other clubs, Pies already know through Daicos, this creates premierships!

The Underdog
18-02-2024, 01:32 PM
Do not tell other clubs, Pies already know through Daicos, this creates premierships!

No pressure but.
I'm excited to see him play but man, he's an 18 year old drafted at pick 6. I hope he's it and a bit but it ain't on him to turn us around.

EasternWest
18-02-2024, 09:23 PM

Are you saying he can hit key forwards on the tit?