PDA

View Full Version : Rating the 2023 Overall List Management Period

bulldogtragic
21-11-2023, 09:26 PM
MAIN LIST:

Josh Bruce - Jordan Croft (Pick 15) > Tall talented swing man

Hayden Crozier - Nick Coffield (Former Pick 8, at a points surplus) > Mid sized defender

Taylor Duryea - Anthony Scott > Smaller hard at it, picked when fit

Mitch Hannan - Ryley Sanders (Pick 6) > Midfielder, who will pinch hit HHF

Toby McLean - James Harmes > Mature, hard bodied mid

Tim O'Brien - Joel Freijah (Pick 45) > Subbed out another mid sized tall for a winger

Jordon Sweet - Lachie Smith (Pick 47) > Developing ruckman

Vacant RL Spot - Aiden O’Driscoll > Quick midfielder

ROOKIE LIST:

Robbie McComb - Duryea commitment > Depth who can play at AFEL Level

Lachie McNeil - McNeil commitment > More time

Roarke Smith - MSD Pick, Presumably > Flexibility come MSD

Anthony Scott - Spot moves to the MAIN LIST

(Cody Raak, Cat B)

FUTURE PICKS:

Out: F1 & F3

In: F3 (GCS)

Take Away: Bulked up our mid group with Harmes, Sanders, Freijah & O’Driscoll. Got more depth on the rookie list through Doc. Got a top end KPP to replace Bruce, replaced an VFL ruck with a young ruck, and got a points favourable trade to take a former Pick 8 to replace TOB/Croz. Haven?t really bulked up our small forwards when other clubs have. But have one rookie spot to maybe look at it.

Testekill
21-11-2023, 09:46 PM
Pretty happy all up.

Sanders looks like a great pick up and Croft went at exactly where I expected him to go. Really disappointed to miss out on Lual but Freijah looks like a hard running wing that can get up and down the wing & Smith is basically like for like with Sweet.

We can basically look at Sanders as pick 13 & 23 for him and next year's first rounder for Croft. If we hadn't traded then someone would have bid on Croft before pick 13.

If Coffield bounces back from injury then he's an astute trade who will shore up our defence & Harmes gives us a harder edge that we lacked this year.

Just down to seeing if we take anyone at pick 57 and who we take with our spare rookie spot.

edit: O'Driscoll also gives us a fast & damaging wing as well. Super happy to get him.

Go_Dogs
21-11-2023, 09:55 PM
Think we’ve done well and I like the fact we added 3 picks late too, rather than the maybe 2 live picks it sounded like we could land (aside from Croft).

We’ve addressed some needs, added depth and landed a bunch of kids with a number of
Positions covered and some great attributes.

Good off season.

bulldogtragic
21-11-2023, 10:02 PM
The only possible question is a Live Pick 10 in the Rookie Draft or a MSD Pick?

Unless we are crazy all in on a kid, I’d take the MSD Pick.

Vred
22-11-2023, 04:03 AM
The only possible question is a Live Pick 10 in the Rookie Draft or a MSD Pick?

Unless we are crazy all in on a kid, I’d take the MSD Pick.

I'd be watching the lower leagues for the first half of the season and seeing what small forward we can nail in the MSD, really now an area of concern if Charlie Clarke doesn't come on for us.

bulldogtragic
22-11-2023, 07:23 AM
I'd be watching the lower leagues for the first half of the season and seeing what small forward we can nail in the MSD, really now an area of concern if Charlie Clarke doesn't come on for us.

Yep. Seems like most clubs are really stocking up on genuine small forwards, but not us to the same extent. So that’s what I’d be looking at too. Mannagh was on our radar for this MSD and just went Pick 36 in the ND. I’m sure they’ll be opportunities next MSD.

Hotdog60
22-11-2023, 07:59 AM
Blaaah! Who needs small forwards when with our tall forwards nothing hits the ground and a goal kicking coach to straighten up.:)

Mofra
22-11-2023, 08:24 AM
I like the fact we brought in some outside run.
Sanders is inside/outside but probably end up doing a lot of grunt work as his career develops.

A fair bit tests on JOD's pre-season and I'm quietly confident our 2022 draftees can debut this year with a clean run at it.

bulldogtragic
22-11-2023, 08:33 AM
Fox Footy Rating:

Selections: Ryley Sanders (6), Jordan Croft (15), Joel Freijah (45), Lachlan Smith (47), Aiden O’Driscoll (55)

Did most of their most important work on opening night, bringing in elite prospects in Ryley Sanders and Jordan Croft. They don’t have many young top-end midfielders coming through, so Sanders addresses that need. They rounded out their crop with two wingers in Joel Freijah, who could’ve gone early in the second round, and Aiden O’Driscoll, who’ll run all day for Luke Beveridge. They also added ruck insurance through Gippsland Power’s Lachlan Smith to effectively replace Jordon Sweet as the developing ruckman. The Dogs probably needed to draft a bit smaller given they’re loaded with key position players, so they ticked that box, but they did miss out on NGA prospect Luamon Lual after the Bombers, almost cruelly, swooped on the defender with Pick 39 — one selection before the NGA bidding restrictions are lifted.

Grade: B

GVGjr
22-11-2023, 08:50 AM
5 Players selected on the night was only beaten by Geelong with 6. We tied with North and the Saints for 5 players selected.
That's a big change for us. 3 Players selected with later picks is also a positive.
The only downside was not being able to add Luamon Lual.
Adding a top end talent in Sanders and a father son pick too away some options for us.

I'll give it a B

Pick 6 - Ryley Sanders (North Launceston, TAS / Sandringham Dragons, VIC)
Pick 15 - Jordan Croft (Calder Cannons, VIC) - Father-son
Pick 45 - Joel Freijah (GWV Rebels, VIC)
Pick 47 - Lachlan Smith (Gippsland Power, VIC)
Pick 55 - Aiden O'Driscoll (Perth, WA)

So I would give it a B

From the Roar

Verdict:

From all reports, the Bulldogs were keenest on Nick Watson heading into the draft, but having given up next year’s first rounder in a trade with Gold Coast to force their way into the top 10, ball magnet Sanders is an excellent second choice and will boost the Dogs’ midfield as Tom Liberatore and Jack Macrae reach the end of their careers.

Verstaile tall and father-son prospect Jordan Croft joins a real logjam of developing talls at Whitten Oval, as does aggressive ruckman Lachlan Smith (who might be an insurance option should Tim English accept what is sure to be a whopping free agency offer from West Coast at the end of next year).

The Dogs clearly identified the wings as a point of weakness with their list, with both Joel Freijah and Aiden O’Driscoll hard-running outside talents – Freijah is a beautiful user of the ball, while O’Driscoll, the brother of Fremantle AFL and AFLW guns Nathan and Emma, was the quickest player over 20 metres at the national Draft Combine.

bulldogtragic
22-11-2023, 09:16 AM
The way I look at it this morning. The clubs collectively rated Lual as the 39th best player. We drafted the 45th & 47th & 54th best players instead of matching bids and trading picks around. None are dead certainties to play 100 games. It’s at this point in time, it’s no big deal at all. Just a reflection on the type of character of Essendon.

azabob
22-11-2023, 09:16 AM
Very happy with how the club has approached this trade and draft period so far.

It is the first time in a while we have genuinely invested in the draft with an eye to the future.

During the trade period we targeted two mature players from a needs perspective. Coffield as an intercepting type defender and Harmes to add some defensive spunk to our midfield group.

Night one of the draft was best available approach; Sanders looks a great selection and in a position of need. Win Win.

Croft is a running machine and seemed too good to pass on. In hindsight I think by having Croft as a father son pushed us to be aggressive trade up - which then allowed us to be very strategic on night two.

Night two we took more of a need based approach. Hitting the draft for outside run and a developing ruckman.

Freijah looks to have good athletic traits again a position of need (wing and pace). This selection is great, the wing positions are very open and no reason why Freijah shouldn't be eyeing off a few games in 2024.

Lachy Smith looks a like physically he is ready to go and will only get bigger and stronger, from his highlight package he has a bit of skill and marking ability. Also has the ability to kick a goal.

Watching the highlights of O'Driscoll and his size I think he will be the perfect small forward. The O'Driscoll family have some epic genes!

We were very bold swapping our F1 for GCS pick 4 and it paid off. Croft slipped a few places than we planned for which allowed us to take one or two more players at the back end which certainly helps round out our list profile.

bulldogtragic
22-11-2023, 09:27 AM
Very happy with how the club has approached this trade and draft period so far.

It is the first time in a while we have genuinely invested in the draft with an eye to the future.

During the trade period we targeted two mature players from a needs perspective. Coffield as an intercepting type defender and Harmes to add some defensive spunk to our midfield group.

Night one of the draft was best available approach; Sanders looks a great selection and in a position of need. Win Win.

Croft is a running machine and seemed too good to pass on. In hindsight I think by having Croft as a father son pushed us to be aggressive trade up - which then allowed us to be very strategic on night two.

Night two we took more of a need based approach. Hitting the draft for outside run and a developing ruckman.

Freijah looks to have good athletic traits again a position of need (wing and pace). This selection is great, the wing positions are very open and no reason why Freijah shouldn't be eyeing off a few games in 2024.

Lachy Smith looks a like physically he is ready to go and will only get bigger and stronger, from his highlight package he has a bit of skill and marking ability. Also has the ability to kick a goal.

Watching the highlights of O'Driscoll and his size I think he will be the perfect small forward. The O'Driscoll family have some epic genes!

We were very bold swapping our F1 for GCS pick 4 and it paid off. Croft slipped a few places than we planned for which allowed us to take one or two more players at the back end which certainly helps round out our list profile.

I think Power has been reading your posts and given you the multiple mid range picks you’ve wanted. Like a footy Santa Claus.

ledge
22-11-2023, 09:46 AM

You forget Arty Jones?

lemmon
22-11-2023, 10:07 AM
You forget Arty Jones?

Is he a genuine small forward or a wingman that can do a job? I agree with Vred that it's still a hole on the list and I would've liked us to target a genuine small forward that's done it at under 18s or state level.

bulldogtragic
22-11-2023, 10:08 AM
Is he a genuine small forward or a wingman that can do a job? I agree with Vred that it's still a hole on the list and I would've liked us to target a genuine small forward that's done it at under 18s or state level.

I think he’s a winger too.

ledge
22-11-2023, 10:20 AM
I think he’s a winger too.

With all the wings we have on our list I believe he will be focussed on as a small forward , he has tricks but at the moment I think he is still learning the positioning we want him to be in when the ball drops. Natural instinct sometimes needs adjustment and that can take time.

bulldogtragic
22-11-2023, 10:29 AM
With all the wings we have on our list I believe he will be focussed on as a small forward , he has tricks but at the moment I think he is still learning the positioning we want him to be in when the ball drops. Natural instinct sometimes needs adjustment and that can take time.

We will soon see, but I think his attributes are best on the wing. Either way, would love him to cement a spot this year.

G-Mo77
22-11-2023, 11:38 AM
Can't even rate our draft yet. All these kids we drafted over the last 2 days get talked up like they're all future 200 gamers, odds say a lot differently. As a club we desperately need some fast progress from some of them as well as our 2022 draftees. I am glad we're taking the punt on numerous options as we need to inject some youth and enthusiasm into the ranks. Sanders is the big one, we gave up so much to get him and the expectations will be that he plays a decent amount of senior footy in 2024.

Trades we did OK. I don't think there is much to write home about but took some players who will help if they kick on. Coffield could be handy if he's fit and Harmes will be OK but see a downward trend there so hopefully he's a s top gap kind of a player at worst.

If, as a club we struggle, which I do expect, giving up a high F1 to GC in the process this is probably a fail. That being said if some of these rookies kick on we could be looking OK even if we're poor.

hujsh
22-11-2023, 02:54 PM
One thing I like about the draft on first impressions, every late pick looks to have a strength or stand out quality that could be a real weapon for them at AFL level. A bit of an issue with drafting a later pick who's a bit decent at everything without any real standout quality (sorry McNeil and McComb) is it's hard to see them become more than a minor role player at best. With the likes of Freyja, Smith and O'Driscoll, while none are necessarily great odds to make it you can see what they'd bring to an AFL side if they do.

hujsh
22-11-2023, 06:57 PM
Dom Milesi talks about the draftees

(https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1468199/dom-milesi-2023-draft-wrap?videoId=1468199&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1700627535001)Sanders: Contested game, professionalism and leadership

Croft: Athleticism, having a father/son is nice

Freyja: tall winger, elite running profile for a winger, late birthday, big games (eg 6 goal game)

Smith: Competitor, Basketball background (only moving to football this year), impressive rate of improvement late in the year

Aiden: Athletic profile, speed and endurance a rare mix, energetic, can play small forward or up the ground

macca
22-11-2023, 07:05 PM
You forget Arty Jones?

We also have McNei and Driscoll as welll. Assumption is they will develop and contedt for tjat small forward role.
Charlie clarke, Arty, Weightman , McNeil , Driscoll
Pinch fwd in Scott and West .

There are a few playera. They just have to stay fit and younger ones develop at right trajectory.

macca
22-11-2023, 07:09 PM
I like to give big thanks for all the woofer community for the coverage on the draft ,its A+.
Its incredible how you seem to find the players to discuss.0
BT your amazing abililty to do calculate points and draft order and clubs should be consulting for your points stratgies.

ledge
22-11-2023, 09:07 PM
I am always amazed how commentary is about who won the draft 2 minutes after it’s done .
How can you possibly know until years down the track ?

macca
22-11-2023, 09:34 PM
I am always amazed how commentary is about who won the draft 2 minutes after it’s done .

Essendon always know they win , they never do anything wrong
Statistical any of them play more rhan 50 games its a good return

Realistically half of them may not be on the list after 3-4 seasons

I still feel we should have rooked Bedendo , Mcneil rookie was the right decision. I like how we picked up late draftees with some elite traits

ledge
22-11-2023, 09:56 PM
Essendon always know they win , they never do anything wrong
Statistical any of them play more rhan 50 games its a good return

Realistically half of them may not be on the list after 3-4 seasons

I still feel we should have rooked Bedendo , Mcneil rookie was the right decision. I like how we picked up late draftees with some elite traits

Apparently Essendon have an academy named after the great James Hird and only one player has lasted more than one year on their list.

Eastdog
22-11-2023, 10:18 PM
I like to give big thanks for all the woofer community for the coverage on the draft ,its A+.
Its incredible how you seem to find the players to discuss.0
BT your amazing abililty to do calculate points and draft order and clubs should be consulting for your points stratgies.

Agree Macca. The knowledge from BT, hujsh, Mofra and a few others is excellent and it is great reading.

Eastdog
22-11-2023, 10:23 PM
I have liked our picks this draft but it is very hard to rate how we went. We will know in the next few years if it is a successful draft.

macca
22-11-2023, 11:21 PM
Agree Macca. The knowledge from BT, hujsh, Mofra and a few others is excellent and it is great reading.

Their knowledge of football universe is extraordinary and i feel lucky to be able to read all the comminity contributions.

bornadog
22-11-2023, 11:48 PM
Apparently Essendon have an academy named after the great James Hird and only one player has lasted more than one year on their list.

I believe it is called The Whatever It takes Academy

Eastdog
23-11-2023, 12:14 AM

Set up to still not to win a final for another number of years :D

FrediKanoute
23-11-2023, 01:05 AM
I like that we have drafted 5 kids. It gives a nice fill up to the list with some youth. Hoping that they can all be 100+ game players.

Bulldog Joe
23-11-2023, 08:28 AM

It has been more of "The What are we Doing Academy"

ledge
23-11-2023, 09:50 AM
It has been more of "The What are we Doing Academy"

So what they do now is let other teams do the work then if a player is any good take them under pick 40.
It’s smart, wrong but smart.
I’m surprised they didn’t take Dear they stoop that low.

MrMahatma
23-11-2023, 10:00 AM
I am always amazed how commentary is about who won the draft 2 minutes after it?s done .

We won as far as I can see.

It?s a little hard to see though as my view is obscured by the next 3 flags we?ve pretty much already got wrapped up.

hujsh
23-11-2023, 10:01 AM
So what they do now is let other teams do the work then if a player is any good take them under pick 40.
It’s smart, wrong but smart.
I’m surprised they didn’t take Dear they stoop that low.

Is it though? No one else rated him in the top 40 (at least with the picks they had). If they had someone they think is better and didn't get them then it's not smart, it's kinda dumb.

I hope he comes back in a couple years. We can offer pick 40

ledge
23-11-2023, 10:05 AM
Is it though? No one else rated him in the top 40 (at least with the picks they had). If they had someone they think is better and didn't get them then it's not smart, it's kinda dumb.

I did say If they are any good . But yes it can work against you if no one else did it before 40 obviously 38 was rated above him , so he either went at the right pick or they paid overs . In saying that we were going to take him at 45 so 39 isn’t to far off the mark. He was with in the range of 40 to 45

hujsh
23-11-2023, 10:10 AM
I did say If they are any good . But yes it can work against you if no one else did it before 40 obviously 38 was rated above him , so he either went at the right pick or they paid overs . In saying that we were going to take him at 45 so 39 isn’t to far off the mark. He was with in the range of 40 to 45

But it's still not smart. It's just baseline. If you think a player is the 39th best or better you take them with pick 39 unless you're being charitable or have concerns they'll leave and you'll waste your investment.

MrMahatma
23-11-2023, 10:13 AM

Surely bidding on a player can only be “smart” if you make the club with rights to him pay overs. If you take an NGA in the sub-40 range, it‘s just called “drafting” isn’t it? Pick a player you like at that pick.

hujsh
23-11-2023, 10:24 AM
Surely bidding on a player can only be “smart” if you make the club with rights to him pay overs. If you take an NGA in the sub-40 range, it‘s just called “drafting” isn’t it? Pick a player you like at that pick.

Yep, unless of course the club with rights calls your bluff

https://media3.giphy.com/media/C8QEmUpEJule8FX3Um/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e476nnelgkdmkgn0wunxfl0ntryg4zoa7tj034il8 hz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

ledge
23-11-2023, 08:21 PM

It’s like their pick ten the media drool over it, what a great get etc . Fact is no other club wanted him under pick 10 so he is a pick 10 at best.
So did Essendon pick Lual just to piss us off ? Not a smart way to do business .

Grantysghost
23-11-2023, 08:26 PM
It’s like their pick ten the media drool over it, what a great get etc . Fact is no other club wanted him under pick 10 so he is a pick 10 at best.
So did Essendon pick Lual just to piss us off ? Not a smart way to do business .

Can you find a Lual reaction video?

bulldogsthru&thru
23-11-2023, 08:41 PM
Can you find a Lual reaction video?

He said prior to the draft he really wanted to come to us. Being 1 pick away he surely was a little flat about missing out. That's how essendon roll though. They don't really care what happens to their players.

Grantysghost
23-11-2023, 08:43 PM
He said prior to the draft he really wanted to come to us. Being 1 pick away he surely was a little flat about missing out. That's how essendon role though. They don't really care what happens to their players.

We would have called them too and pleaded the case.

GVGjr
24-11-2023, 09:16 AM
He said prior to the draft he really wanted to come to us. Being 1 pick away he surely was a little flat about missing out. That's how essendon roll though. They don't really care what happens to their players.

As I've previously mentioned I didn't mind if a club was genuinely into Lual and picked him from pick 25 to perhaps as late as 35 but after that they really need to have a rethink and assess if they could offer him as much support and a chance for success on and off the field as we would have. Essendon obviously rated him but the right thing would have been for them to let him slide though.

ledge
24-11-2023, 09:48 AM
As I've previously mentioned I didn't mind if a club was genuinely into Lual and picked him from pick 25 to perhaps as late as 35 but after that they really need to have a rethink and assess if they could offer him as much support and a chance for success on and off the field as we would have. Essendon obviously rated him but the right thing would have been for them to let him slide though.

Essendon and “do the right thing “ are a contradiction.
Their development history backs that up.

hujsh
24-11-2023, 10:09 AM

Essendon and “do the right thing “ are a contradiction.
Their development history backs that up.

Yeah not convinced player welfare is a big part of the Dons culture TBH

ledge
24-11-2023, 10:37 AM
Yeah not convinced player welfare is a big part of the Dons culture TBH

Or supporters, I remember reading the cost of going to any events they held was way too much for the average member to go to, they also put nothing up at Tullamarine to protect fans from the weather to watch training or even seats.
When the new board got in they promised to fix this and ended up just putting up about 3 or 4 huge umbrellas I believe.
And the windy hill bowls club fiasco.
They live in a world of arrogance.

Testekill
24-11-2023, 10:48 AM
It does feel that there was also a clear directive to pick up competitive players this list management period as well.

Croft sees red on the field and plays with aggression.

Smith flies the flag and will stick up for teammates.

Harmes has grubbish qualities but gets stuck in.

Bulldog4life
25-11-2023, 12:43 PM
It does feel that there was also a clear directive to pick up competitive players this list management period as well.

Croft sees red on the field and plays with aggression.

Smith flies the flag and will stick up for teammates.

Harmes has grubbish qualities but gets stuck in.

What are these Testy?

jeemak
26-11-2023, 02:32 AM

It's academic but if it wasn't Dodoro he would have been allowed to slip through. Dodoro is into histrionics like every dickhead who has been a long term member of that poisonous club for a number of years. All short term impact, no substance. They're considered useless pieces of shit for a reason, not just because.

In the context of clubs now looking at drafting strategy over numerous seasons and formats I can't fault our haul this year. We brought in a gun mid, and another tall of good pedigree was gifted to us at what seems to have been the right price in the end. If we had to trade up further for Croft I'd have been disappointed given what we gave up next year.

Freijah if able to rip up the APS system would have been higher placed, in my completely uninformed opinion, so he appears a good pick. The others seem like good needs based selections.

Coffield worries me, but I can see the value if he can get his body right over the next two years. Playing four games at the end of the season in the twos isn't anything like playing at the intensity of senior footy (trust me, I pinged a lot of hammies after good twos form on the way back and the step up isn't something that can be replicated at the lower level), so hopefully an uninterrupted preseason comes his way and he can put his best foot forward.

Harmes was a good pick up, and hopefully he becomes depth as his career progresses with us. There's some players on our list who should be marking him as someone they can replace, but also learning from how he plays disciplined and controlled football and bringing it into their games (Garcia and West come to mind).

Watching us play like shit was hard, but some of the commentary around a side that struggled whilst losing too many close games to finish ninth and just out of the finals (not close to absolute crap) was well out of control. What surprised me more so was the commentary and panic after the season as we awaited action from the club, which has ultimately been measured and productive.

So I think the list management period has been executed really well. I can't put a score on it as that's something for later years, but overall those coming in seem to have enough in them to prosper at the level and keep some of the players on our list not pulling their weight on their toes.

What I really hope though, is that with new facilities, new coaches, new players and a new opportunity to be better in-season the club can take steps forward. Because if it can't and the same shit goes around this year I'll be fearful of the discourse even if we finish just out of the finals, just in them, or out of them convincingly and it will sap all of the enjoyment I have in the game.

Dazza
27-11-2023, 08:14 PM
I don't mind what we've done this off season at all. We seem to have targetted endurance and pace. Glad we picked a ruckman up as well after losing Sweet.

Not really list related but I've liked the changes to the coaching/fitness group as well.

I'm reasonably optimistic for next season which is pretty common at this time of the year to be fair 😅

macca
27-11-2023, 08:29 PM
If you compare Dodo body of work vs Powers this trader period , I would be polite by calling it amateurish.
Power has achieved:
1. Draft points to get Croft whilst get in a top mid.
2. Harmes and Coffield, for nothing
3. We picked up 5 good kids in the draft and found a replacement for Sweet , who maybe even better!
4. Retained Duryrea with his leadship and onfield coaching ability
Dodo?
1. Offeres a fat front ended contract to Mackay , because their list managememt is sh@*$&t they have to pay someone big bucks???
2. Screwed up management of zerk-thatcher and Ambrosio. 2 mature players wanting to play elsewhere kind sums up their state of deluded affairs
3. Picking up Lual because they cant be bothered investing in young players and pick him at 39 as spite against us.
Essendon arent going anywhere for another 1000 days with that list. Their current leaders have been lambasted as ordinary.

Power has done a good job in navigating this draft , with the set of conditions we had. Each one a problem to solve

How to get into top 10 and get enough points for Croft?
How to get a replacement for Sweet?
Who are the speed and endurance runners left?
I thougjt we were 1 defender short in this draft so picking up Bambles could be a good diamond om the rough as SPP.
Given we are not a big4 club , players just dont consider us first choice e.g Liam Henry.

hujsh
27-11-2023, 09:21 PM
If you compare Dodo body of work vs Powers this trader period , I would be polite by calling it amateurish.
That's a low bar but if you don't pass it blokes like Dodo are the ones that will pick your club apart.

Given we are not a big4 club , players just dont consider us first choice e.g Liam Henry.

Yeah, it sounds like the Saints ended up offering more dough. I'm fine with missing out rather than overpaying for someone there's still plenty of doubts over.

bulldogtragic
28-11-2023, 08:54 AM
So Bramble aside…

A spot left open for a MSD pick is a get hedge/insurance policy if you have a poor first half of the year to grab some good kids (say an over ager killing the U/18’s, a kid expected to rise or a Mannagh type who went pick 36 in the ND and sounds like was a toss up between him and Poulter for us last MSD).

This again can be seen as an inference we are chips in on 2024. We traded the F1 & F3, we’ve added an extra main list player ant the ND, traded in two mature players who if fit are better than the 2023 fringe 22-23, and now elected to fill the last vacancy now with a mature player. Plus addressing our shithouse goal kicking and upping our fitness. While the footy media projections seem to have us about the same next year, everything from Bains/Grant/Power seems to project we are into our eyeballs in 2024.

At least that’s how I read the tea leaves.

Bulldog Joe
28-11-2023, 02:29 PM
So Bramble aside…

A spot left open for a MSD pick is a get hedge/insurance policy if you have a poor first half of the year to grab some good kids (say an over ager killing the U/18’s, a kid expected to rise or a Mannagh type who went pick 36 in the ND and sounds like was a toss up between him and Poulter for us last MSD).

This again can be seen as an inference we are chips in on 2024. We traded the F1 & F3, we’ve added an extra main list player ant the ND, traded in two mature players who if fit are better than the 2023 fringe 22-23, and now elected to fill the last vacancy now with a mature player. Plus addressing our shithouse goal kicking and upping our fitness. While the footy media projections seem to have us about the same next year, everything from Bains/Grant/Power seems to project we are into our eyeballs in 2024.

At least that’s how I read the tea leaves.

The club are certainly showing that they believe we are contenders and why shouldn't they.

They thought we were a chance in '23 but a few things didn't pan out.

For 2024
We have changed our coaching panel - hopefully this is for the better
We have improved training facilities - Definite PLUS.
Our 2022 draftees are now fit - Definite Plus
Our 2023 draftees look like they are ready to at least compete - Definite Plus.
Sam Darcy doing an actual pre-season - Definite Plus

I also like the overall list management changes.

Ambition needs to be high.

Sedat
28-11-2023, 02:32 PM
The club are certainly showing that they believe we are contenders and why shouldn't they.

For 2024

We absolutely need to think like winners and contenders - that's what the club has put on the record since 2020, that we are right in the window now. We performed to internal expectations in 2021 and we significantly under-performed against those exact same expectations in 2022 and 2023.

bulldogtragic
28-11-2023, 03:40 PM

For 2024

For sure. For sure.

Uninformed
28-11-2023, 05:37 PM
Agree with the points Bulldog Joe makes. I think Power did brilliantly.

I really rate trading up to pick 4. It is so hard for teams in contention to get fresh really elite talent. So I am rapt with Sanders. Croft is another first round talent and the other picks all have points of interest.

Of all the ins, Sanders is the certainty and he has a nice balanced, low ego personality which is a major bonus.

But the other way of evaluating our haul is by the numbers which I have tried to set out below. I am not too confident that I have it right and would appreciate corrections, but if it is as below then we have creamed it.

So working it out by the points and what all the academy and father/sons did to our picks, you can see why getting pick 4 was so valuable as it was only moved out to six by Walters and North compo. Our original first and Brisbane drifted out a lot, Brisbane’s to 28, ours possibly to even more than the 18 I estimated.

So:

Picks out:

For pick 10 - becomes 18 = 985 points (With academy and father sons)
For pick 17 - becomes 28 = 677 points (With academy and father sons)
For pick F1 - becomes 29 = 653 points (With similar academy and father sons being projected for next year and assuming we win it of course!)

Total out = 2315 points

We get in:

Pick 6 = 1751
Pick 15 = 1112
Pick 45 = 347
Pick 47 = 316

Total in = 3526 points (including academy etc.)

Surplus points = 1211 points. That’s an extra mid first round pick we gained. (With academy etc.)

Even if we finish 9th next year (ridiculous, I know)

For pick 10 - becomes 18 = 985
For pick 17 - becomes 28 = 677
For pick F1 - becomes 29 = 1112. (With academy etc.)

Total out = 2774 points

With what we get

Pick 6 = 1751
Pick 15 = 1112
Pick 45 = 347
Pick 47 = 316

Total in = 3526 points

Surplus points = 752. That is an extra late first round. (Allowing for a similar number of academy and father son picks)

So we get one elite first round pick who might be the best in the draft, and a good solid first round father/son this year instead of next. And we also kill it on the points system which upgrades all the other picks.

We’ve made out like such bandits, I reckon Sam Power must be the head of the Bratva!

GVGjr
28-11-2023, 05:59 PM
Good session to bond the new arrivals and the playing group

https://twitter.com/i/status/1729369771513442500

jDogs
28-11-2023, 07:28 PM
Good session to bond the new arrivals and the playing group

https://twitter.com/i/status/1729369771513442500

Full video is on the website. Smith is going to be a popular teammate, that's for sure.
That's not the theatre room they are sitting in though, is it? I thought it had tiered seating. Looks great though.

bornadog
28-11-2023, 10:35 PM
Full video is on the website. Smith is going to be a popular teammate, that's for sure.
That's not the theatre room they are sitting in though, is it? I thought it had tiered seating. Looks great though.

Temporary till redevelopment is finished

MrMahatma
28-11-2023, 10:54 PM

Smith’s interview in the website is awesome too. Seems like a nice bloke. All the draftees do.