Like!

Speed freak

Is that the end of McNeil?

Go_Dogs
21-11-2023, 09:54 PM
Very happy with this selection.

Testekill
21-11-2023, 09:54 PM
Oh sick, very happy to get him. Offensive minded wing, bloody fast and agile.

bornadog
21-11-2023, 09:55 PM
https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/sportix-storage/players/thumbs/a-odriscoll-impOD.png

Welcome Aiden

Height: 175cm

Weight: 70kg

D.O.B: 22-07-2005

from rookie me central

The younger brother of two Dockers, Aiden O?Driscoll is a zippy and diminutive winger with the capability to impact the game on the scoreboard.A familiar surname to many, Aiden O?Driscoll is the younger brother of Fremantle?s Nathan and Emma. Though he features on the wing as his brother does, he is very much his own unique player.

Coming into the season off of a stellar bottom age campaign for Perth in the WAFL Colts and Wesley in the PSA, O?Driscoll split his time between the two once again this year. A standout performer for Wesley, he seldom features away from the wing, though has proven himself an asset when playing up forward.

Featuring in all four games for Western Australia, O?Driscoll?s numbers don?t do justice to the impact he has proven he can have on the wing. With over a quarter of his disposals going inside 50, he was assertive and offensive with his approach.

His season concluded with a heartbreaking Grand Final loss in the WAFL Colts competition ? a game he lit up in the first quarter with the opening two goals, before his side narrowly went down by 11 points.

GVGjr
21-11-2023, 09:55 PM
Very happy with this selection.

We've got a great contrasts tonight. O'Driscoll will add plenty of run for us.

azabob
21-11-2023, 09:56 PM
Small pressure forward?

Go_Dogs
21-11-2023, 09:56 PM

Spot on. I’m very glad we went with the three picks late. Wouldn’t have picked it, however maybe our focus on coaching / development has twisted the arm. I think we’ve got a few who can impact immediately.

Bring on 24!

GVGjr
21-11-2023, 09:57 PM
Small pressure forward?

Could be, more of a winger from what I have seen but we will have a plan for him no doubt.

GVGjr
21-11-2023, 09:58 PM
Spot on. I’m very glad we went with the three picks late. Wouldn’t have picked it, however maybe our focus on coaching / development has twisted the arm. I think we’ve got a few who can impact immediately.

Bring on 24!

He will take some time to add some strength to his frame but he's an exciting prospect.

bulldogtragic
21-11-2023, 10:00 PM
Could be, more of a winger from what I have seen but we will have a plan for him no doubt.

We have A LOT of wingers now!

azabob
21-11-2023, 10:01 PM

Wing is the new half back flanker

The Underdog
21-11-2023, 10:01 PM

List desperately needs pace and running power. Seems we’ve got some of that.

Eastdog
21-11-2023, 10:02 PM
Sounds like a good pick. Need some speed.

josie
21-11-2023, 10:03 PM
Small pressure forward?

Thought the same thing.

Dry Rot
21-11-2023, 10:09 PM

Two picks tonight, Baker and Poulter and possibly Williams and Gags.

Just play Libba in the middle and everyone else as a winger.

Dry Rot
21-11-2023, 10:09 PM
Any highlights?

GVGjr
21-11-2023, 10:18 PM
Any highlights?

https://youtu.be/zZ3jiKz9mmQ?si=_Bt88ysyUHS_odmI

Mofra
21-11-2023, 10:30 PM
For a guy named as a wing, he sure does seem to have some decent forward-craft in that video

hujsh
21-11-2023, 10:31 PM
Was asked for on another thread but figured I'd put this here

WA boys - my draft order.

7/. Aiden O'Driscoll. Without doubt the fastest I have ever coached. Faster than Bobby Hill. He is electric. Didn't have the year he should of in 2023 but showed some great signs on grand final day.

GVGjr
21-11-2023, 10:32 PM
Get excited WOOFers, here are his combine results

Verticle Jump 73cm 78.2%
Running Verticle Jump off the left 92cm 89.1%
5mtr sprint 1.050 89.2%
10mtr sprint 1.726 95.7%
20mtr sprint 2.871 100.0%
Agilty 8.3020 82.7%
2km 6mins 6sec 91.4%

That's fantastic test results.

lemmon
21-11-2023, 10:32 PM
Reminds me a little of Jason Tutt in some of the footage I've seen. Go well young fella!

kruder
21-11-2023, 10:34 PM
Get excited WOOFers, here are his combine results

Verticle Jump 73cm 78.2%
Running Verticle Jump off the left 92cm 89.1%
5mtr sprint 1.050 89.2%
10mtr sprint 1.726 95.7%
20mtr sprint 2.871 100.0%
Agilty 8.3020 82.7%
2km 6mins 6sec 91.4%

That's fantastic test results.

Must be one of the best set of results ever recorded?

hujsh
21-11-2023, 10:36 PM
Reminds me a little of Jason Tutt in some of the footage I've seen. Go well young fella!

Imagine if Sheehan pulled out THAT comparison amoung the Dusties and and the Sam Taylors getting drafted

SquirrelGrip
21-11-2023, 10:55 PM
Arty Jones also went to Wesley in Perth. Bit of speed from that school!

mjp
21-11-2023, 11:28 PM
Arty Jones also went to Wesley in Perth. Bit of speed from that school!

LOL. Let's say the scholarships came after the speed was observed...

bornadog
22-11-2023, 10:31 AM
Love this exchange of tweets:

Western Bulldogs @westernbulldogs

We promise to make it a home away from home for Aiden ❤️

Fremantle Dockers @freodockers
?
take care of Aiden @westernbulldogs 🥲

O'Driscolls are great humans.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_cwGWtaQAAhhod?format=jpg&name=medium

bulldogtragic
22-11-2023, 10:56 AM
Looking forward to where AOD plays. Looks to have forward smarts for a winger.

hujsh
23-11-2023, 12:10 PM
Recruiters talking about Aiden (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1468283/recruiters-discuss-aiden-odriscoll?videoId=1468283&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1700696969001)

They only really talk about his athletic profile (and it's very impressive) but the fact they don't mention much else is a sign that there's lots of room for improvement outside that. Still we took a raw athlete with Easton Wood and it worked alright so hopefully he can follow in the footprints of that man.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-11-2023, 12:19 PM
Yeah he's clearly one of the best or maybe even the best athlete in the draft.

We just gotta hope we can translate that into a good footballer. He's at least got a bloody good footballing family. I wonder what his major drawbacks are that lead to him going so late.

lemmon
23-11-2023, 12:36 PM
Recruiters talking about Aiden (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1468283/recruiters-discuss-aiden-odriscoll?videoId=1468283&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1700696969001)

They only really talk about his athletic profile (and it's very impressive) but the fact they don't mention much else is a sign that there's lots of room for improvement outside that. Still we took a raw athlete with Easton Wood and it worked alright so hopefully he can follow in the footprints of that man.

Thanks for that Hujsh. Definitely sounds like he does his best work high up the ground where we can put that pace and running capacity to best use. Feel like we've recruited/targeted him as a wing/half forward rather than forward pocket.

He's an exciting one, probably a punt based on his athletic profile that the coaching team can really mould.

mjp
23-11-2023, 01:39 PM
Thanks for that Hujsh. Definitely sounds like he does his best work high up the ground where we can put that pace and running capacity to best use. Feel like we've recruited/targeted him as a wing/half forward rather than forward pocket.

He's an exciting one, probably a punt based on his athletic profile that the coaching team can really mould.

His best colts footy - and prob best school footy - has been as a running half-back. He had regular stints inside the game at colts level in 2022 and and school both this year and last.

He is more than a 'runner' and is exceptional below his knees - needs a LOT of work on body positioning and composure under pressure.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-11-2023, 02:03 PM
His best colts footy - and prob best school footy - has been as a running half-back. He had regular stints inside the game at colts level in 2022 and and school both this year and last.

He is more than a 'runner' and is exceptional below his knees - needs a LOT of work on body positioning and composure under pressure.

I can see his pace being a weapon coming out of half back. Similar to JJ.

hujsh
23-11-2023, 02:12 PM

Very interesting. I've not seen anyone mention he played half back. If you hadn't mentioned those areas of improvement I might get my hopes up he could be our Dureya replacement in time. But I'm not sure you can match the likes of Charlie Cameron without composure and positioning (not that many can match him at all).

josie
23-11-2023, 06:07 PM

“Exceptional below the knees” has me excited. (Expecting puns).

bulldogtragic
23-11-2023, 08:35 PM
Milesi on the club website talking about the draft overall, dropped that we are looking at AOD as a small forward.

azabob
23-11-2023, 09:08 PM
Small pressure forward?

Milesi on the club website talking about the draft overall, dropped that we are looking at AOD as a small forward.

azabob also leaked something similar on woof on Tuesday night.

EasternWest
23-11-2023, 09:28 PM
“Exceptional below the knees” has me excited. (Expecting puns).

Why Josie? There's literally nothing there to make a pun with (that's what she said).

kruder
23-11-2023, 10:13 PM
The doggies vision gives us a much better indication of his pace ,the AFL clip was average at best.

josie
24-11-2023, 12:47 AM
Why Josie? There's literally nothing there to make a pun with (that's what she said).

You’re right.

I do recall thinking it could be read as a silly sentence (separate to footy interpretation) ie. me being enamoured by a pair of attractive lower legs and not caring for much else. Even so there’s no puns there.

mjp
24-11-2023, 01:04 AM

Yeah. I don’t think that’s his go but happy to be proven wrong.

GVGjr
24-11-2023, 09:05 AM
Yeah. I don’t think that’s his go but happy to be proven wrong.

With his terrific combination of speed and endurance we should be targeting him developing as a winger or perhaps as a high half forward more than a forward pocket. Our aim should be to maximise those attributes.

hujsh
24-11-2023, 10:07 AM
I could see the pressure forward role being a way to get him to develop his consistency and physicality maybe. Even if it's just in the VFL as part of rotations. With that pace and endurance I want him to love to tackle. Given he has a good vertical hopefully taller wingers want be able to easily take advantage aerially if that's where he ends up.

Mofra
24-11-2023, 10:11 AM
He can dunk a basketball too which is a fair effort at his height

Bulldog Joe
24-11-2023, 10:16 AM
Shouldn't we be looking at developing someone with pace to defend.

Could O'Driscoll fill a role like that. His leap for his size would also help.

The other possibility would be Artie Jones but someone needs to learn to defend in the backline, not just apply defensive pressure as a forward.

ledge
24-11-2023, 10:46 AM

The other possibility would be Artie Jones but someone needs to learn to defend in the backline, not just apply defensive pressure as a forward.

I’m not sure how you defend in our forward line , you lead 10 Mtres away from your opponent and your team mate kicks it ten Mtres behind you straight to your opponent . Then all the other backs run off as we have all lead away. Our mids are amazing at hitting targets with different colours on.
The Geelong game was an amazing effort to find Stewart 30 Mtres on his own a few times.

Testekill
24-11-2023, 10:49 AM
With his terrific combination of speed and endurance we should be targeting him developing as a winger or perhaps as a high half forward more than a forward pocket. Our aim should be to maximise those attributes.

I do think that high half forward is probably the way to go with him, focus on Clarke and Weightman as pockets and then O'Driscoll & Jones on the flanks.

hujsh
24-11-2023, 11:00 AM

He has the physical attributes if he can overcome the bolded bit above

bulldogtragic
24-11-2023, 11:08 AM
If…

Arty & AOD are forwards with Cody & Charlie. Plus Sanders may have to play HF until he picks up the pace. If fit and accounting for a resting Bont & Adz down there who are genuine goal kickers and not resting there

Then….

Is that the end of the just chuck Macrae or Baz down there, or sure West & McNeil were drafted as mids, but they can be forwards too, so shove them there too?

If so, Macrae (& Smith) probably has to play on ball a lot more. West needs some mid time to see if he can make the grade there. McNeil either has to train with the mids or look to take the Duryea role, something as I’ve said Garcia should be doing too. No point putting these guys in wings when are are loaded for wingers now. Although not the highest grade ones just yet.

How does that change Bevo’s game plan?

Sedat
24-11-2023, 11:39 AM
If?

Arty & AOD are forwards with Cody & Charlie. Plus Sanders may have to play HF until he picks up the pace. If fit and accounting for a resting Bont & Adz down there who are genuine goal kickers and not resting there

Then?.

Is that the end of the just chuck Macrae or Baz down there, or sure West & McNeil were drafted as mids, but they can be forwards too, so shove them there too?

If so, Macrae (& Smith) probably has to play on ball a lot more. West needs some mid time to see if he can make the grade there. McNeil either has to train with the mids or look to take the Duryea role, something as I?ve said Garcia should be doing too. No point putting these guys in wings when are are loaded for wingers now. Although not the highest grade ones just yet.

How does that change Bevo?s game plan?
What do we do with Bont? He is absolute top shelf elite in just about everything he does, but the rest of the senior players (Libba aside) sat and waited for Bont to kick-start most things for us last year. And having just turned 28, we need to protect and preserve his body so he can provide elite output well into his 30's like Pendlebury is doing.

Imagine a world where Smith, McCrae and Treloar (and now Harmes) support Libba and really excel in midfield/stoppages allowing the luxury of having Bont as a destructive player in the forward half of the ground for more extended periods in game - akin to a Petracca at Melbourne. How will oppo defences curtail Naughton, Marra, Bont, Lobb/English, with Cody and others (combination of Arty, AOD, Clarke) at the fall of the ball?

bulldogtragic
24-11-2023, 11:50 AM
What do we do with Bont? He is absolute top shelf elite in just about everything he does, but the ret of the senior players (Libba aside) sat and waited for Bont to kick-start most things for us last year. And having just turned 29, we need to protect and preserve his body so he can provide elite output well into his 30's like Pendlebury is doing.

Imagine a world where Smith, McCrae and Treloar (and now Harmes) support Libba and really excel in midfield/stoppages allowing the luxury of having Bont as a destructive player in the forward half of the ground for periods in game - akin to a Petracca at Melbourne. How will oppo defences curtail Naughton, Marra, Bont, English/Lobb, with Cody and others at the fall of the ball?

When Bont wants, he kicks 3 in a quarter. Look at Adz 2021 GF, he has pace and can snap well. These guys can add another dimension for sure, if the next level can stand up. If Sanders could pinch hit in there, if Smith could be the player he thinks he is, if Macrae can re-discover his old self, if West could stand up with time in the middle, and if Daniel stays there, and Libba stay fit, then there should be enough talent in there to siphon off time forward for Adz & especially Bont. Bont especially is a headache for the match up of a defender or taking away a good midfielder to try to stop him.

As you say, it’s time for others to stand up. If they don’t Bont will be managing injury every second of every game and doing it all. If they do enough though, then the flow on to the 23 is huge. The year from Bont, Tim & Libba was immense and not good enough for finals. So I can’t wait to see some match sim and see if the new coaching group wants for something new. I imagine the forward coach wants some of Bont!

GVGjr
24-11-2023, 01:11 PM
I think O'Driscoll was there at training today and his family might have been there as well.

mjp
24-11-2023, 08:08 PM
I think O'Driscoll was there at training today and his family might have been there as well.

Have a chat to his mum...she is a great lady. Don't get me wrong, his old man is great as well but he's quiet...once you meet his mum you'll understand his dad not saying too much is a learned behaviour!

GVGjr
24-11-2023, 08:31 PM
Have a chat to his mum...she is a great lady. Don't get me wrong, his old man is great as well but he's quiet...once you meet his mum you'll understand his dad not saying too much is a learned behaviour!

:) I assume they were there but probably only arrived last night and Aiden didn't train. They appeared to be given the grand tour so very much a meet and greet. If they're are around on Monday I'll try and say hello :)

jeemak
25-11-2023, 12:53 AM
What do we do with Bont? He is absolute top shelf elite in just about everything he does, but the rest of the senior players (Libba aside) sat and waited for Bont to kick-start most things for us last year. And having just turned 28, we need to protect and preserve his body so he can provide elite output well into his 30's like Pendlebury is doing.

Imagine a world where Smith, McCrae and Treloar (and now Harmes) support Libba and really excel in midfield/stoppages allowing the luxury of having Bont as a destructive player in the forward half of the ground for more extended periods in game - akin to a Petracca at Melbourne. How will oppo defences curtail Naughton, Marra, Bont, Lobb/English, with Cody and others (combination of Arty, AOD, Clarke) at the fall of the ball?

We were too homogenous in the on ball set ups last year and it hurt the team, with flow on effects to individual players.

I've always said I would prefer Jackson to play pure on ball with Treloar in the high forward rolling up role. If we can get Jackson going with greater impact from Smith we'll free Bont up.

ledge
25-11-2023, 12:35 PM

That’s a normal marriage lol

Bulldog4life
25-11-2023, 12:40 PM
That’s a normal marriage lol

Providing I can look at all the footy I want to I let my wife think she's the boss. Works like a charm.

GVGjr
26-11-2023, 05:46 PM
Isn't this a nice touch?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_1cxOzbMAAcQC0?format=jpg&name=small

Uninformed
26-11-2023, 07:50 PM
Wouldn't want to run against them in a relay.

bulldogtragic
26-11-2023, 07:53 PM

Who wins the grand final sprint, first out of the two?

GVGjr
26-11-2023, 08:11 PM

They're so quick they could steal the hubcaps off cars...while the car is moving :)

Uninformed
27-11-2023, 12:27 AM
They're so quick they could steal the hubcaps off cars...while the car is moving :)

Make the roadrunner look positively pedestrian!

azabob
27-11-2023, 09:00 AM
Isn't this a nice touch?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_1cxOzbMAAcQC0?format=jpg&name=small

It is great touch.

Also says a lot about Arty Jones and how good of a teammate he is.

AshMac
27-03-2024, 07:50 AM
Anyone know the situation with O?Driscoll at the moment - he?s on the injury list with concussion marked as indefinite

GVGjr
27-03-2024, 08:02 AM
Anyone know the situation with O?Driscoll at the moment - he?s on the injury list with concussion marked as indefinite

It was a serious concussion he suffered. He does a lot of training except any of the drills where there is contact. I will try and find out more.

angelopetraglia
14-05-2024, 01:33 PM
O?Driscoll medically retires from football

Western Bulldogs forward Aiden O?Driscoll has retired from the AFL effective immediately on medical grounds.

Aiden suffered a significant head injury during a preseason training session in January.

Following extensive clinical assessments, investigations and expert consultation that included a review by an Independent Medical Concussion Panel, Aiden has been advised to retire from contact sports in the interests of his long-term health and wellbeing.

The West Australian was drafted at Pick 55 in the 2023 National Draft and has not played an AFL game.

The Club will give Aiden and his family all the support it can at this difficult time.

angelopetraglia
14-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Wow. Feel for the kid. Does anyone know any details of what actually happening in the training incident?

bulldogtragic
14-05-2024, 01:34 PM
FMD. Poor kid.

weltschmerz
14-05-2024, 01:35 PM
Wow. Feel for the kid. Does anyone know any details of what actually happening in the training incident?

From what I've head, a significant head clash with an ambulance called.

Bloody awful. His career is over before it even began.

GVGjr
14-05-2024, 01:36 PM
Terrible news but basically the right decision.
It's a brutal that the game and livelihood has been taken away from a young, talented and enthusiastic young man.

josie
14-05-2024, 01:36 PM
Horrible-hope he can lead a full life without serious symptoms.

angelopetraglia
14-05-2024, 01:37 PM
So sad. Just devasting for him and I hope his long term health is OK. Was really looking fowrard to him playing, he is exactly what we needed in regards to his running ability and pace and looked to have good craft too.

angelopetraglia
14-05-2024, 01:38 PM
How does a head injury of this magnitude happen in a training drill in January? I know it is a contact sport and freakish things can just happen, but I would love to know how it happened.

angelopetraglia
14-05-2024, 01:40 PM
Tom Morris

2023 draftee Aiden O'Driscoll has been medically retired, the Western Bulldogs have announced.

Copped a heavy head knock in January and has no symptoms, but the expert panel has made the call. He's the third player in three months to retire due to concussion.

(No symptoms but retired. What do they make the assessment on? Brain scans?)

Grantysghost
14-05-2024, 01:40 PM
That's incredibly sad. Must have been a very significant event. Health is wealth though, so good luck for the future Aiden.

weltschmerz
14-05-2024, 01:42 PM
How does a head injury of this magnitude happen in a training drill in January? I know it is a contact sport and freakish things can just happen, but I would love to know how it happened.

He's scarily fast. Could be that he was going full tilt sprint and there was just so much force in the head clash.

ledge
14-05-2024, 01:42 PM
Tom Morris

2023 draftee Aiden O'Driscoll has been medically retired, the Western Bulldogs have announced.

Copped a heavy head knock in January and has no symptoms, but the expert panel has made the call. He's the third player in three months to retire due to concussion.

I have no idea but apparently they can’t properly check until you die and they can look at your brain.

SquirrelGrip
14-05-2024, 01:45 PM
This is tragic and very upsetting.

The Underdog
14-05-2024, 01:46 PM
****ing hell. Poor kid.

bulldogtragic
14-05-2024, 01:46 PM
Tom Morris

I think when it comes out the full extent of the injury and its aftermath, it will be the right call absolutely. Not my place to repeat things I didn?t actually witness.

angelopetraglia
14-05-2024, 01:55 PM
I think when it comes out the full extent of the injury and its aftermath, it will be the right call absolutely. Not my place to repeat things I didn?t actually witness.

Thanks. Understand.

mighty_west
14-05-2024, 01:57 PM
That's extremely sad for Aiden and his family, what an bloody shame to realize your dream and having cut short without a ball being bounced from no fault of anyone, just an accident on field.

We also have to consider Bailey William's feelings too being the other player involved, you have to feel sorry for him too as it was obviously not his fault but he's more than likely going to feel absolutely shithouse.

angelopetraglia
14-05-2024, 01:59 PM
Is there a falsifiable test when concussion retires you? Or is just the opinion of experts.

We are moving very fast into unchartered territory. There is going to be a lot of foootballers retired early at the current run rate.

Yet, you can punch someone in the back of the head and only get a week. Or if your name is Patrick Cripps you jump and bump a player in the head with force that gives them concussion where they need to sit out for two weeks, yet you get zero weeks and get to win the Brownlow.

The AFL needs to catch up fast.

Axe Man
14-05-2024, 02:03 PM
That's extremely sad for Aiden and his family, what an bloody shame to realize your dream and having cut short without a ball being bounced from no fault of anyone, just an accident on field.

We also have to consider Bailey William's feelings too being the other player involved, you have to feel sorry for him too as it was obviously not his fault but he's more than likely going to feel absolutely shithouse.

I always understood the collision to be with Williams who was also under concussion protocols for a short time if I remember correctly. Yet I have seen more than one media article claim the collision was with Naughton, HUN article just now still says Astro. I assume this is just lazy reporting not checking their facts?

MrMahatma
14-05-2024, 02:07 PM
Absolutely heartbreaking for the young man. I’m so devastated for him.

No doubt the right call but 1 concussion and no symptoms, then retired. How can the sport continue as a contact sport if that’s possible? This is definitely new territory.

bulldogtragic
14-05-2024, 02:08 PM
Absolutely heartbreaking for the young man. I’m so devastated for him.

No doubt the right call but 1 concussion and no symptoms, then retired. How can the sport continue as a contact sport if that’s possible? This is definitely new territory.

Perhaps it was a lot worse than that assessment.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-05-2024, 02:10 PM
Dreadful news for the young man.
His football dream snatched away before it begins.

Hopefully this decision allows Aiden to otherwise have a normal life ahead of him.

Topdog
14-05-2024, 02:16 PM
Wow poor kid

Sedat
14-05-2024, 02:38 PM
Poor lad, would be shattering to have your hopes and dreams taken away at 18yo. Let's put our arms around him and his family and help him embark on his next chapter, whatever that is.

In other news, Geelong and the AFEL nothing to see here with Jeremy Cameron bashing his head on the turf and cleared to play after getting a token 20 second on-field assessment while the farken game was still going on. Anyway, here's another $4.1m for a shiny new scoreboard at your pissant stadium, and let's cut funding on critical cancer research in Victoria by 75% while we're at it.

bornadog
14-05-2024, 02:49 PM
Feel sorry for the kid, but health comes first. All the best.

angelopetraglia
14-05-2024, 02:49 PM
Heartbreaking.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GNgpsJMbkAASjH4?format=jpg&name=large

macca
14-05-2024, 03:00 PM
Take care of yourself Aiden. Your health is more important than any further injuries in a game.
Really sorry to hear this.

azabob
14-05-2024, 03:02 PM
This is truly heartbreaking news.

Dry Rot
14-05-2024, 03:08 PM
Agree with Sedat's comment about Geelong and Cameron. I watch that part again and thought that it was ludicrous that he continued playing.

Terrible news about AOD. I thought this might be on the cards given his absence from training.

Sedat
14-05-2024, 03:21 PM
Agree with Sedat's comment about Geelong and Cameron. I watch that part again and thought that it was ludicrous that he continued playing.
If they were 5 goals down or up, he goes off immediately and stays off for the rest of the game. The fact that they had to collude with the AFEL to get their stories straight and manufacture a contrived outcome about doing a pissy little 20 second HIA on the ground (during the game no less) tells you everything you need to know that the AFEL don't really take the head trauma issue seriously enough, outside of the optics and being seen to be ticking the boxes to avoid future litigation.

The media cowards need to keep digging on this Geelong story but they won't - it has a terrible whiff about it.

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but O'Driscoll's premature retirement should come as a massive warning to all the clubs and the AFEL to treat this issue with utmost seriousness and not as an arse-covering exercise. Most other clubs already take it seriously - poor GWS took Brent Daniels off in a cut-throat PF last year with 5 minutes to go and 1 point the difference. And on the same night as Cameron, Sydney took Blakey off for 20 minutes to do a SCAT 1 test despite the impact being far less severe than Cameron's. There are zero excuses for Geelong not to have done so on the weekend, and other clubs know it (hence Justin Longmuir's comments last night on 360). Also explains why Chris Scott channelled his inner Sheedy and went full distraction mode in the post-match presser crapping on about how difficult umpiring is and how they were stiffed with the non-advantage interpretation (incidentally, how didn't he get a please explain from City Hall for criticising the umpires?)

GVGjr
14-05-2024, 03:21 PM
Tom Morris

What I thought was amazing was that within a couple of week, O'Driscoll was back training and put in a solid block after that.
He would join the boys on the warm-ups and lighter drills and once the contact drills commenced he was straight over to the rehab area and doing a power of running. This isn't an issue about him necessarily having symptoms like what say Paddy McCartin experienced.

angelopetraglia
14-05-2024, 03:28 PM
What I thought was amazing was that within a couple of week, O'Driscoll was back training and put in a solid block after that.
He would join the boys on the warm-ups and lighter drills and once the contact drills commenced he was straight over to the rehab area and doing a power of running. This isn't an issue about him necessarily having symptoms like what say Paddy McCartin experienced.

I'm sure we will learn more. I hope so.

GVGjr
14-05-2024, 04:12 PM
The incident initially occurred on Australia day in a later session than normal. I guess we could say the session was an intraclub practice game. It was a sickening collision and the given the severity of the knock and the medical care he was receiving the balance of the session was called off.
Surprisingly to me, AOD joined the team on their camp in QLD just a few days later and was back on the training track in quick time.
He was chirpy and mixing in incredibly well with his team mates so it all appeared somewhat positive despite what he endured.

A couple of weeks back and just after he fronted a panel of medical experts I was told then that he was unlikely to be cleared.
2 weeks later and unfortunately it's been confirmed. If anything positive is to come out of this is that Aiden isn't experiencing any symptoms and hopefully this means not much else changes for him.

A lovely youngster, lets all wish him the best.

Mantis
14-05-2024, 04:35 PM
Terrible news for Aiden... hoping the club (and the AFL) support him as best as they can as he enters the next phase of what I hope is a rewarding & full life.

angelopetraglia
14-05-2024, 04:44 PM
The incident initially occurred on Australia day in a later session than normal. I guess we could say the session was an intraclub practice game. It was a sickening collision and the given the severity of the knock and the medical care he was receiving the balance of the session was called off.
Surprisingly to me, AOD joined the team on their camp in QLD just a few days later and was back on the training track in quick time.
He was chirpy and mixing in incredibly well with his team mates so it all appeared somewhat positive despite what he endured.

A couple of weeks back and just after he fronted a panel of medical experts I was told then that he was unlikely to be cleared.
2 weeks later and unfortunately it's been confirmed. If anything positive is to come out of this is that Aiden isn't experiencing any symptoms and hopefully this means not much else changes for him.

A lovely youngster, lets all wish him the best.

Thank you. Appreciate the insight.

However, it still leaves more questions than anwsers. Quick recovery. Back into it. Currently no symptons.

I'm not an expert or even have any knowledge about this, hence the curiosity. How do they make this assessment? Is it based on how he is presenting? Is it based on an assessment of the actual impact? Is it how he presented to the hosiptal after his initial hit? Is there a brain scan? Are there any other physcial tests?

Grantysghost
14-05-2024, 04:50 PM

However, it still leaves more questions than anwsers. Quick recovery. Back into it. Currently no symptons.

I'm not an expert or even have any knowledge about this, hence the curiosity. How do they make this assessment? Is it based on how he is presenting? Is it based on an assessment of the actual impact? Is it how he presented to the hosiptal after his initial hit? Is there a brain scan? Are there any other physcial tests?
My question : what if he wants to play?

Do the AFL actually remove his registration?

Go_Dogs
14-05-2024, 04:53 PM

Im not an expert either but the risk of recurrence after a bad knock must be higher and put him at greater risk of it having impacts on his quality of life.

If he has no symptoms that is great - hopefully he moves onto another passion and lives a full life.

Sad to read it and wish him all the best.

angelopetraglia
14-05-2024, 04:57 PM
Im not an expert either but the risk of recurrence after a bad knock must be higher and put him at greater risk of it having impacts on his quality of life.

If he has no symptoms that is great - hopefully he moves onto another passion and lives a full life.

Sad to read it and wish him all the best.

Agree. 100%.

What about the knock Sam Banks had on the weekend? That looked absolutely sickening. Or what about the Sam Taylor clash a few weeks ago. That looked like a car crash. Out cold before his heat hit the ground. One of the worst hits I have seen on a footy field. It looked that bad that they refused to show a replay.Taylor only missed two weeks.

What makes this clash different? I'm sure there must be something. Hence the decision. Just curious to know how they come to this decision.

bulldogtragic
14-05-2024, 04:59 PM
Agree. 100%.

What about the knock Sam Banks had on the weekend? That looked absolutely sickening. Or what about the Sam Taylor clash a few weeks ago. That looked like a car crash. Out cold before his heat hit the ground.

What makes this clash different?

Clearly it was much worse. We have to respect his privacy, cut clearly this was not an ordinary concussion.

angelopetraglia
14-05-2024, 05:02 PM
Clearly it was much worse. We have to respect his privacy, cut clearly this was not an ordinary concussion.

I should clarify. I don't want clarity on his specific diagnosis. That is own medical privacy. I'm interested in how they make a decision like this? What is their criteria? How do they make it?

Grantysghost
14-05-2024, 05:05 PM
I should clarify. I don't want clarity on his specific diagnosis. That is own medical privacy. I'm interested in how they make a decision like this? What is their criteria? How do they make it?
How do we not get sued.

bulldogtragic
14-05-2024, 05:55 PM

Clearly there was a risk to health, beyond suffering a standard concussion. Whatever the issues are above and beyond concussion they amount to a risk that no one is prepared to take with a young man?s wellbeing.

Clearly the club had concerns as he hadn?t played a game or even been involved in contact training for many months. That concern was clearly recognised by the medical review too.

I think it?s very simple. This was a severe injury that all doctors agreed posed a risk to him. Where the only outcome in light of the injury suffered was to avoid future head injuries. It?s not completely unsurprising when standard concussions are a couple of weeks out and he?s done no contact training for months.

The Pie Man
14-05-2024, 05:58 PM
It was mentioned that the scan on Murphy from Collingwood showed a deterioration in brain activity, hence the decision to retire
Can only assume something similar here?
Gee this is sad

DOG GOD
14-05-2024, 07:33 PM
Very sad for the guy.

kickit2Koly
14-05-2024, 08:13 PM
Gutted for the kid. I hope the club can keep him around and involved somehow until at least the end of the year.

Warrnambulldog
14-05-2024, 09:45 PM
Terrible news, wish him all the best

G-Mo77
14-05-2024, 10:52 PM
I'm late to this news. What devastating news for the kid. I really hope he's supported and find a role for him at the club in some capacity

angelopetraglia
15-05-2024, 10:28 AM
Jon Ralph

Only one reported concussion. A panel of four brain experts who told O’Driscoll & his family one more concussion might lead to severe difficulties with his quality of life. Brain scans a big factor. But will get a $250K injury payment.

Hotdog60
15-05-2024, 10:46 AM
$250k isn't a lot against future earning potential but again he may not have cracked it at all.
The up side he has his health and mobility and he could say in footy in other ways from umpiring to physio if he is happy with that.
Heartbreaking as a youth to see your dreams go down the toilet but if he makes it to 80 years old he might be grateful someone intervened.

Eastdog
15-05-2024, 11:30 AM
Feel for Aiden. I read in the pre season thread about that incident at training. His health is paramount and I hope he has great future ahead.