PDA

View Full Version : Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

GVGjr
05-12-2023, 03:59 PM
First review - Wingers

We have brought in a number of players who have some claims for a position on the wing in our starting line-up.

Williams is probably a lock, Poulter has many admirers, Baker should be better as he enters his 2nd season with us, Harmes and Bramble must be in the mix, the ever reliable Scott has some merit there and now we have Gallagher training with the mids who seems to be a logical candidate. We also have the exciting draftees in Sanders and Frejiah who could slip in for some games and perhaps Baz Smith with his running power is given some time there as well.

Who are your preferred candidates 1, 2 and 3? Feel free to rate the, in order as well or call out who is a definite no.

hujsh
05-12-2023, 04:15 PM
Missed my number 2. Bedendo

He had good form there in the VFL last year for a patch and has smashed the running before picking up an injury this pre season. I think there's a pretty decent chance he gets a shot there if he can keep his body right. Thats the big question though since he wasn't able to do that at all this year

Mofra
05-12-2023, 04:49 PM
1. Williams
2. Poulter
3. Scott
4. Baker
5. Freijah (he'll climb next year after 12 months in the system)

Daylight

6. Any of our centre square mids who just don't hold their width

I've purposely left Gallagher & Bedendo out as I have no idea where Gallagher plays (I like him) nor have faith that Bedendo's body will hold up.

Uninformed
05-12-2023, 07:01 PM
It is one of our positions of need. If Poulter can improve a bit on last year he would probably be first go. But, whilst they are capable in the position, I can't see either Williams or Poulter becoming a dominant influence. I hold hopes that Freijah and Bedendo will become our Dick Clay and Francis Bourke as two taller super athletic dominant wingers.

GVGjr
05-12-2023, 07:18 PM
Missed my number 2. Bedendo

He had good form there in the VFL last year for a patch and has smashed the running before picking up an injury this pre season. I think there's a pretty decent chance he gets a shot there if he can keep his body right. Thats the big question though since he wasn't able to do that at all this year

It's a good pick-up and I do keep missing him as a winger, just seems to be a more natural marking forward.

bornadog
05-12-2023, 08:01 PM
1. Williams
2. Poulter
3. Scott
4. Baker
5. Freijah (he'll climb next year after 12 months in the system)

Daylight

6. Any of our centre square mids who just don't hold their width

I've purposely left Gallagher & Bedendo out as I have no idea where Gallagher plays (I like him) nor have faith that Bedendo's body will hold up.

Agree with this

Dazza
05-12-2023, 08:28 PM
I used to like Treloar in the role. Not sure why we gave up on that idea

Go_Dogs
05-12-2023, 09:11 PM
For me, Williams and Poulter are my starting players on the wing. Both long kicks and an ability to influence in the air.

Baker and Scott reasonable depth options there.

Harmes I don’t think we’ll want on a wing. Bramble I don’t know nearly enough about and haven’t really seen much of him in action so a wait and see.

I’d like Gallagher and Freijah to become options over time.

Daniel is another player who could potentially spend some time on the wing, and I don’t mind Bailey Smith as another option.

PR0408
05-12-2023, 11:39 PM
Harvey Gallagher is my bolter for 2024. I think he could make a great winger. Although I suspect he could be even better in Duryea’s role.

jeemak
05-12-2023, 11:50 PM
I'm sticking with Bailey Smith to make a mark on the wing. To me it's the only spot where I think he can genuinely claim over others if he applies himself.

Outside of that, I'm aligned with Mofra's listing.

Bulldog Revolution
06-12-2023, 01:00 PM
The way Im seeing it is:

1.Smith
2. Harmes
3. Scott
4. Poulter
5. Williams
6. Bramble
7. Baker
8. Freijah
9. O'Driscoll
10. Bedendo

It may not be Smith or Harmes ultra preferred spot, but we need a spot to have them in the team, and Harmes will know he hasnt been brought in just to play centre square, maybe hes running with, or running with half backs, back pockets etc but Wing is an option

Scott is somewhat of a utility but a clever footballer, I wasnt completely sold on Poulter, and was less sold on Baker as a viable long term winger - I suppose he wasnt that far off, but just not sure he uses it well enough - so hoping Bramble could jump ahead

Williams is a very talented footballer who I'm hoping can find the next level of his career - perhaps it could be on the wing. His aerial ability and ability to hit the scoreboard could be assets.

I havent seen anything to suggest Bedendo could cover the ground of kick it well enough to play wing.

Freijah and ODriscoll the development wingers.

Axe Man
06-12-2023, 01:06 PM
I havent seen anything to suggest Bedendo could cover the ground of kick it well enough to play wing.

Bedendo was quickest in the 2km time trial I believe so I think he will be ok with his running capacity. Has many other question marks though, hopefully he can stay on the park and show enough early in the VFL to earn a chance at senior level.

kickit2Koly
06-12-2023, 02:42 PM
I used to like Treloar in the role. Not sure why we gave up on that idea

This, I though he played some of his best footy playing this roll early in his first year with us.
I'd also like to see Macrae tried here, he can run all day and knows how to find the footy.

Bulldog4life
06-12-2023, 03:04 PM
It is one of our positions of need. If Poulter can improve a bit on last year he would probably be first go. But, whilst they are capable in the position, I can't see either Williams or Poulter becoming a dominant influence. I hold hopes that Freijah and Bedendo will become our Dick Clay and Francis Bourke as two taller super athletic dominant wingers.

Wow you are going back over 50 years ago. I like it. Two great players who both could play key position too.

azabob
06-12-2023, 05:17 PM
Harvey Gallagher is my bolter for 2024. I think he could make a great winger. Although I suspect he could be even better in Duryea’s role.

He looks such a versatile player. Where would you play him?

Mavericks
06-12-2023, 07:54 PM
My preference is Williams on one wing and Baz and Adz rotate on the other with Poulter and maybe Hames as the others.
with I think Bendendo is the bolter. Has the tank to run both ways, aerially strong which is valuable on both ends. Just needs luck with injuries.

Warrnambulldog
07-12-2023, 05:55 PM
I think one wing role will be used by a Dale, JJ, Bailey Williams type that can rotate off half back.
The other a Bailey Smith, Macrae extra mid type. Hope a Bedendo, Gallagher, Poulter or Freijah can make it there own though

Go_Dogs
07-12-2023, 06:03 PM
I think one wing role will be used by a Dale, JJ, Bailey Williams type that can rotate off half back.
The other a Bailey Smith, Macrae extra mid type. Hope a Bedendo, Gallagher, Poulter or Freijah can make it there own though

JJ and Dale are interesting ones. I think they’ve been most effective as defenders with the whole field in front of them, however certainly have the speed and long kicking to be effective on a wing. For some reason it just hasn’t been where they’ve played their best footy (and probably where we’ve most needed them). Good post. Welcome to the site.

Warrnambulldog
07-12-2023, 06:39 PM
Cheers mate. Yeah I think we have enough versatile half backs that we can release 1 to the wing if need be.
Dale wasn’t at his all Australian finest last year, so maybe a stint on the wing might sharpen him up a bit

Uninformed
07-12-2023, 10:51 PM
Wow you are going back over 50 years ago. I like it. Two great players who both could play key position too.

With Billy Barrot in the middle. All three magnificent exponents of the 60yard drop kick. Feeding it in to the likes of Royce Hart, Neil Balme and Rex Hunt.

Imagine Naughton, JUH and Lobb/Darcy getting that sort of supply!

bigjohn
08-12-2023, 12:46 AM
Watched Poulter a lot last year when he came in, honestly believe his touch is one of the best i've ever seen. He rarely fumbles and knows what he's doing with the ball, who's around him at all times and generally makes good decisions. There's is a reason why Collingwood delisted him I guess, his competitiveness, intensity and physical work at times leave a bit to be desired?

I really like him and want him on the wing in the side for R1 next year... However, that's the one thing that we were waiting for with Shache for years. Hard to develop.

Bulldog Joe
08-12-2023, 08:20 AM

I like the idea of using some half back experience on the wing.

We do need wingers that help defend as well as run forward to create.

Critter
08-12-2023, 09:32 AM
Watched Poulter a lot last year when he came in, honestly believe his touch is one of the best i've ever seen. He rarely fumbles and knows what he's doing with the ball, who's around him at all times and generally makes good decisions. There's is a reason why Collingwood delisted him I guess, his competitiveness, intensity and physical work at times leave a bit to be desired?

I really like him and want him on the wing in the side for R1 next year... However, that's the one thing that we were waiting for with Shache for years. Hard to develop.

I agree with this, though I think it's more his physicality than his competitiveness that's at issue. One other thing I like about him is that he keeps his width. Quite often last year he provided either a get-out option or attacking option by doing this.

bornadog
08-12-2023, 11:50 AM
I agree with this, though I think it's more his physicality than his competitiveness that's at issue. One other thing I like about him is that he keeps his width. Quite often last year he provided either a get-out option or attacking option by doing this.

Love his kicking, he really has some penetration

Sanders
08-12-2023, 08:44 PM
I really feel the loss of Hunter was/is a massive issue for us. People will say he?s a dinky kick and he pads his stats but he is a true winger, crafty, wily and an incredible two way runner. He looks like he gets easy possessions but he just creates such great separation as evidenced by the number of uncontested chest marks he takes. Without denigrating our current wing crop, the list reads like a bit like a group of delistings you might expect after an average season.

The Doctor
08-12-2023, 09:00 PM
I really feel the loss of Hunter was/is a massive issue for us. People will say he?s a dinky kick and he pads his stats but he is a true winger, crafty, wily and an incredible two way runner. He looks like he gets easy possessions but he just creates such great separation as evidenced by the number of uncontested chest marks he takes. Without denigrating our current wing crop, the list reads like a bit like a group of delistings you might expect after an average season.

I agree with this.

Who do you think are our best wing options?

The Doctor
08-12-2023, 09:03 PM

He is also a nice kick of the footy and can hit the scoreboard. I also think his contested game is the area of improvement.

Do you think he has the ability to improve his physicality or intensity?

hujsh
08-12-2023, 09:15 PM

Can't deny we miss OG Hunter. It does also feel we're tackling the wing role with quantity over quality but I have hopes for Bedendo or Gags stepping up this year

Danny Delre
09-12-2023, 12:02 AM
Would love to see dale pushed up to a wing. He is pretty sharp around goal too and has kicked bags in his forward days.

Go_Dogs
09-12-2023, 09:44 AM
Would love to see dale pushed up to a wing. He is pretty sharp around goal too and has kicked bags in his forward days.

Dale is definitely a player we’d like 3 of I think, as he’s good across each section of the ground with his attributes. I still see his value as a defender, however when opposition sides apply a defensive forward to him, wing / forward pocket gives us some optionally to move him around.

It would be great if we could find a way to get him more shots on goal. He’s pretty automatic on the run from distance.

azabob
10-12-2023, 05:27 PM

The biggest issue I see moving Dale to the wing is are we better off Dale having the ball 25+ in defence or 15+ on the wing?

yourmate
11-12-2023, 05:29 PM
I think we should seriously start considering the prospect of putting Macrae back on the wing. He played there for the first few years of his career and did genuinely well. If they're not going to put him in the centre bounces then I think he's completely wasted at HFF. Whilst he doesn't have the most penetrating kick, he generally makes good decisions and can hit a target going inside F50. My only knock on him would be his defensive work rate, but I do think he could excel in the role if he did it full time (with maybe the odd centre bounce appearance).

azabob
11-12-2023, 06:36 PM
I think we should seriously start considering the prospect of putting Macrae back on the wing. He played there for the first few years of his career and did genuinely well. If they're not going to put him in the centre bounces then I think he's completely wasted at HFF. Whilst he doesn't have the most penetrating kick, he generally makes good decisions and can hit a target going inside F50. My only knock on him would be his defensive work rate, but I do think he could excel in the role if he did it full time (with maybe the odd centre bounce appearance).

Interesting suggestion and not one I've seen put forward.

I'd say his disposal and marking ability is very similar to old mate Lachie Hunter. I imagine is aerobic fitness wouldn't be an issue.

Does Macrae have the discipline to keep his width and be content getting 20 odd touches per game?

yourmate
11-12-2023, 06:51 PM
Interesting suggestion and not one I've seen put forward.

I'd say his disposal and marking ability is very similar to old mate Lachie Hunter. I imagine is aerobic fitness wouldn't be an issue.

Does Macrae have the discipline to keep his width and be content getting 20 odd touches per game?

I don't think he'll be a 20 touch winger, even from his second year he was averaging over 26 as a wingman, he'll work hard to be an option as opposed to always bombing it long to a contest. I think he'll hold his width well, the online downside might be if his opposing winger takes him inside 50 for a 1on1 contest, but I'd like to think team defense can bail him out there.

CTB
11-12-2023, 09:31 PM
I think by the end of the year, barring injury Gallagher will be holding down one of our wings. Relatively small but looks like a natural running wingman to me. We also have a player who has all the physical attributes to be a great wingman but mentally he needs to learn positional play (such as when to hold your width), get better at hitting targets, and run back just as hard as he runs forward?. B Smith ?.

FrediKanoute
12-12-2023, 12:55 AM
If we felt that Macrae in his natural position was surplus, why did we not look to trade him?

azabob
12-12-2023, 09:04 AM
If we felt that Macrae in his natural position was surplus, why did we not look to trade him?

Maybe we did? His contract and cash would have been a stumbling block.