PDA

View Full Version : New Years Wish - 2024 to be a FUN footy season!

mjp
30-12-2023, 04:19 PM
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.

Here's my new year's wish. A FUN season...and my model for this season is...1998.

In 1998 we all just THOUGHT we would win it. We had confidence in the team...I remember watching a game with my wife and saying - "If the Dogs ran out NOW (it was nearly 3/4 time) and started playing, they would win this game...". That's how confident I was - we could give other sides 3/4 of a game head start and STILL run them down.

We (lol - WE! - they played, I watched!) exciting footy BUT we played with a HARD EDGE. Every week it felt like we would win or quite literally die trying. And the oppo simply couldn't match our commitment to the footy or to one another...or our willingness to cross the line when needed to support our team-mates.

I want 1998. I will even take the finals blow-out for the 20-odd weeks of joy that footy team gave me.

Thanks in advance.

EasternWest
30-12-2023, 05:06 PM
I will even take the finals blow-out for the 20-odd weeks of joy that footy team gave me.

My concern is that this has now been spoken into existence.

mjp
30-12-2023, 06:41 PM
My concern is that this has now been spoken into existence.

After the 2022 and 2023 season Easty I genuinely couldn't care less...

A few less soul-crushing 14 point losses to crap teams where we dominate every stat but lose the game? I'm in!

GVGjr
30-12-2023, 06:43 PM
I agree with the fun aspect but my normal new footy season wish is that we go the whole season never losing two games in a row.

mjp
30-12-2023, 07:46 PM
I agree with the fun aspect but my normal new footy season wish is that we go the whole season never losing two games in a row.

I can see our footy dept taking this instruction 100% literally...we would also never win 2 in a row!

I'm after a 11-0 start straight out of the gates with a couple of 100+ point wins in there...a close loss around round 12-13-14, followed by a strong bounce back. Maybe a 2-2 finish over the last month as we smugly 'rest' a few key players...and then, well, who knows?

And every week when I turn on the tv for the start of the broadcast I know what I'm gonna see!

Uninformed
30-12-2023, 07:58 PM
Yep. 1998 was great. I felt that same confidence and remember how surprised I was to be feeling it!

What sticks in my mind is that we always seemed able to outrun anyone. We could just keep going and push through the opposition.

If we have that level of fitness and determination this year, it really will be fun.

And I think we only have to make top four to go all the way.

kruder
30-12-2023, 09:59 PM
2015 was my favourite regular season, we were blistering at times that year. It felt like we played with the hand break on during 2023, it was a bore at times, its time to let loose and let's see what fast ball movement into an up and coming forward line might bring.

bornadog
30-12-2023, 10:06 PM

Here's my new year's wish. A FUN season...and my model for this season is...1998.

Happy New Year to you too.

I would love a fun season without the stress of watching a game, just knowing we can win a game, especially a close game.

Can Bar
31-12-2023, 08:06 AM
I'd be happy this season, if our goal kicking showed no signs of yips. 75% accuracy would do it.

SonofScray
31-12-2023, 09:18 AM
I’ve booked flights to Japan the day after the GF.

We will win the flag this coming season. My wish is is to do it undefeated.

mjp
31-12-2023, 11:56 AM
I’ve booked flights to Japan the day after the GF.

We will win the flag this coming season. My wish is is to do it undefeated.

I guess that's the end of #sackbevo then??

The Underdog
31-12-2023, 12:30 PM
I can see our footy dept taking this instruction 100% literally...we would also never win 2 in a row!

I'm after a 11-0 start straight out of the gates with a couple of 100+ point wins in there...a close loss around round 12-13-14, followed by a strong bounce back. Maybe a 2-2 finish over the last month as we smugly 'rest' a few key players...and then, well, who knows?

And every week when I turn on the tv for the start of the broadcast I know what I'm gonna see!

Your last point is the real thing. I want consistent competitive disciplined effort. A team who know what they?re meant to be doing and what their teammates are meant to be doing and play that way. Every week.

Grantysghost
31-12-2023, 01:15 PM
We just need to win a final for mine.

Bulldog Joe
31-12-2023, 01:25 PM

I am for top 4 and win a final.

You know every time we win a final with Bevo that we win at least 3.

3 wins from top 4 sounds about right for me.

mjp
31-12-2023, 01:31 PM

I get that GG but after the last couple of years, I just want the regular season to be FUN again. I know we all have end of year targets - win finals etc - but I actually don't care right now. I just want the 5-months of the SEASON to be fun. I hope we obliterate Hawthorn in the practice game and just get rolling. I want to be happy WEEK to WEEK not constantly stressing out about the season...

GVGjr
31-12-2023, 03:10 PM

This is a relatively new look footy department headed by a coach who would have a sense that this could be his last year at the club if they don't perform so I can't really agree that anyone would be overly complacent..
I'll hold Bevo and the club to account all season for the message that the club released about the round one team being the most ready and best prepared side because the motivation is there for them all to succeed.

mjp
31-12-2023, 03:16 PM
anyone would be overly complacent..

No mention from me of complacency...I just said they will take the "don't lose 2 in a row" mandate literally - which has other potential consequences.

Rocket Science
31-12-2023, 03:16 PM
Fun?

FUN?

Are you new around here?

GVGjr
31-12-2023, 04:50 PM
No mention from me of complacency...I just said they will take the "don't lose 2 in a row" mandate literally - which has other potential consequences.

Sorry I thought this sort of implied it

I believe we are hungry for success, we will be pushing hard to get a run of wins and limit losses.

Danny the snakeman
31-12-2023, 07:02 PM
Top 4 in 24 should be our motto.

Uninformed
31-12-2023, 08:30 PM

May as well put your resume back in the filing cabinet then.

Uninformed
31-12-2023, 08:40 PM

Just about the perfect wish list. Would only add that as 'we smugly rest a few key players' we also implement a heavy training load during that 2-2 period so we are cherry ripe for the finals after the week off.

2-2 during that period will also fool the media into thinking that our GF win is not a forgone conclusion!

Let it be.. let it be-ee..

SonofScray
31-12-2023, 09:34 PM

No. He?s still gone.

chef
31-12-2023, 09:42 PM
I get that GG but after the last couple of years, I just want the regular season to be FUN again.

Agree. All i want is to be excited each week to travel to the footy.

Grantysghost
31-12-2023, 10:54 PM
I get that GG but after the last couple of years, I just want the regular season to be FUN again. I know we all have end of year targets - win finals etc - but I actually don't care right now. I just want the 5-months of the SEASON to be fun. I hope we obliterate Hawthorn in the practice game and just get rolling. I want to be happy WEEK to WEEK not constantly stressing out about the season...
I like it :)

jeemak
01-01-2024, 07:38 AM
A bit of it being fun again might be found in the mirror for a lot of Dogs supporters (definitely me).

Go_Dogs
01-01-2024, 09:07 AM
Fun sounds good. I?m probably going to struggle a bit to make many games in 2024 as we?re expecting our second child start of March so will make it hard to carve out the time each week, however hoping for some exciting football and a few good games to entertain the eldest and begin to fully integrate him into the Dogs.

Ideally some runs of wins (5+) and an increased ability to run out games / stem opposition runs should make it an enjoyable year.

New year wish? Well a Dogs flag and Bont Brownlow sounds good.

Grantysghost
01-01-2024, 10:36 AM
I want this to change too.

https://i.postimg.cc/15H9D46J/GCqgh5-Gbw-AAR4p-U.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

mjp
01-01-2024, 11:02 AM
I want this to change too.

Yeah - I don't like Lyon much either.

hujsh
01-01-2024, 11:51 AM
Fun sounds good. I?m probably going to struggle a bit to make many games in 2024 as we?re expecting our second child start of March so will make it hard to carve out the time each week, however hoping for some exciting football and a few good games to entertain the eldest and begin to fully integrate him into the Dogs.

Ideally some runs of wins (5+) and an increased ability to run out games / stem opposition runs should make it an enjoyable year.

New year wish? Well a Dogs flag and Bont Brownlow sounds good.

Congrats!

I'd love a 2008 type season or even a Melbourne 2023 type season. Even if we don't do well in finals a H&A year where we can expect some level of quality is much more enjoyable than lamenting whether we'll be good, decent or outright crap

D Mitchell
01-01-2024, 12:01 PM
F... probably going to struggle a bit to make many games in 2024 as we?re expecting our second child start of March ....

A decent size shopping basket, buy her/him a membership, a scarf and bring the littlie to the footy

GVGjr
01-01-2024, 12:04 PM
We have to win at least one finals game this year so I suspect a top 5 finish is required.

jeemak
01-01-2024, 01:03 PM
We have to win at least one finals game this year so I suspect a top 5 finish is required.

Do you consider making finals and not wining one an improvement? Like if we finish fifth and just outside the top four, but we lose the final?

Grantysghost
01-01-2024, 01:11 PM
Yeah - I don't like Lyon much either.

I'm still not over the ten goals from the 94 SF.

GVGjr
01-01-2024, 01:16 PM
Do you consider making finals and not wining one an improvement? Like if we finish fifth and just outside the top four, but we lose the final?

It's an improvement but we need to get a finals win for it to be an acceptable improvement. Limping in and getting dumped from the finals in the first week is an underachievement.

MrMahatma
01-01-2024, 01:35 PM
I always found the years we weren’t really expected to do so well, but did, as the most fun.

Expectation for me always seems to lead to a broken heart.

And I expect us to kick ass in 2024 so I’ll get the therapy lined up…

jeemak
01-01-2024, 01:47 PM
It's an improvement but we need to get a finals win for it to be an acceptable improvement. Limping in and getting dumped from the finals in the first week is an underachievement.

The competition is extremely even, and if we make fifth or sixth and get done in a final then we've obviously had a better season than we cobbled together in 22 and 23. We draw a team for a final that plays fifteen games at the MCG during the season and all bets are off.

I don't really like to put those types of benchmarks against the side. I mean it's great if you want a yardstick that doesn't really mean anything, but if in the first few rounds it turns out we're shit and it continues then I'll be looking for other ways to enjoy footy. I think as supporters we haven't caught up with how difficult it is to be any good in this competition, we kind of expect it, the club does as well I guess.

And that's fine, but trends are what they are and outside of the optimism that's generated by excellent training reports and an uptick in social media content, there's still at least an even chance we're going to be ordinary this year - but I still want to try and enjoy it anyway.

GVGjr
01-01-2024, 02:28 PM
The competition is extremely even, and if we make fifth or sixth and get done in a final then we've obviously had a better season than we cobbled together in 22 and 23. We draw a team for a final that plays fifteen games at the MCG during the season and all bets are off.

I don't really like to put those types of benchmarks against the side. I mean it's great if you want a yardstick that doesn't really mean anything, but if in the first few rounds it turns out we're shit and it continues then I'll be looking for other ways to enjoy footy. I think as supporters we haven't caught up with how difficult it is to be any good in this competition, we kind of expect it, the club does as well I guess.

And that's fine, but trends are what they are and outside of the optimism that's generated by excellent training reports and an uptick in social media content, there's still at least an even chance we're going to be ordinary this year - but I still want to try and enjoy it anyway.

I get that a lot of our supporters don't like expectations being placed on the club and that it can remove some of the fun aspects of the season but all professional businesses have to project the year ahead and that sets benchmarks that need to be achieved.
If we aren't aiming high then our recruitment, trading and player retention approach over the last two years is out of sync with that.
We should be aiming for a top 5 finish and if there are some valid reasons why we don't achieve that then that's okay but we are back training on an elite playing surface and no longer having to make do with a compromised gym and with new coaches etc and I've got high expectations that we can achieve something substantial this year.

jeemak
01-01-2024, 05:04 PM
I get that a lot of our supporters don't like expectations being placed on the club and that it can remove some of the fun aspects of the season but all professional businesses have to project the year ahead and that sets benchmarks that need to be achieved.
If we aren't aiming high then our recruitment, trading and player retention approach over the last two years is out of sync with that.
We should be aiming for a top 5 finish and if there are some valid reasons why we don't achieve that then that's okay but we are back training on an elite playing surface and no longer having to make do with a compromised gym and with new coaches etc and I've got high expectations that we can achieve something substantial this year.

I expect the club to go out and be professional week to week and do its best, and where we finish to be a byproduct of that. That's having high expectations on the club, putting a lag KPI on where we finish kind of misses the point to me.

I mean why fifth and not third? Or sixth?

GVGjr
01-01-2024, 06:14 PM
I expect the club to go out and be professional week to week and do its best, and where we finish to be a byproduct of that. That's having high expectations on the club, putting a lag KPI on where we finish kind of misses the point to me.

I mean why fifth and not third? Or sixth?

5th means we would get a final in Melbourne, prefer top 4 but I think 5th is a reasonable spot for us to aim for. There is a level of flexibility within whatever result we achieve.
In my thoughts we just can't keep repeat limping into the 8, losing in the first week and seeing that as a sufficient outcome unless there are some clear reasons why.

bornadog
01-01-2024, 07:41 PM
I won't be happy unless we finish top 4. I want a season where we are very hard to beat.

Eastdog
01-01-2024, 09:12 PM
Need to make finals hoping for a top 4 finish and go deep at least win a final.

To finish top 4 we simply have to be consistent throughout the whole season.

2015-2016 were my favourite seasons. Those first 2 years under Bevo were great after the debacle at the end of 2014.

Twodogs
02-01-2024, 01:13 PM

In 1998 we all just THOUGHT we would win it. We had confidence in the team...I remember watching a game with my wife and saying - "If the Dogs ran out NOW (it was nearly 3/4 time) and started playing, they would win this game...". That's how confident I was - we could give other sides 3/4 of a game head start and STILL run them down.

We (lol - WE! - they played, I watched!) exciting footy BUT we played with a HARD EDGE. Every week it felt like we would win or quite literally die trying. And the oppo simply couldn't match our commitment to the footy or to one another...or our willingness to cross the line when needed to support our team-mates.

I want 1998. I will even take the finals blow-out for the 20-odd weeks of joy that footy team gave me.

Thanks in advance.

1998 was great but the first baby arrived in mid July so I had my eye off the ball for a while.

1985 was my favourite season. I was 21, we had a team that had strength and flair on every line, we had the Brownlow and Coleman medalists, we won a final for the first time in my lifetime and I went to the footy each week expecting to win.

If only Micky Egan had been able to play in the preliminary final

bornadog
02-01-2024, 04:43 PM
1998 was great but the first baby arrived in mid July so I had my eye off the ball for a while.

1985 was my favourite season. I was 21, we had a team that had strength and flair on every line, we had the Brownlow and Coleman medalists, we won a final for the first time in my lifetime and I went to the footy each week expecting to win.

Yeah, my favourite season as well. What a ride it was and soh so close to the GF. Mick would have stopped Leathal.

Eastdog
02-01-2024, 05:00 PM
I was born in 1989 but that 1985 season if there was a time machine would be great fun to experience.

Would love to also go back and witness that game in 1978 when KT kicked 13 goals.

Jasper
02-01-2024, 06:14 PM
My wish is not to see opposition teams go on 3 and 4 goal kicking runs too often against us. I understand we are going to lost some games but those scoring runs that teams get on against us cost us a lot of games in 2023.

Grantysghost
02-01-2024, 06:38 PM
I was born in 1989 but that 1985 season if there was a time machine would be great fun to experience.

Would love to also go back and witness that game in 1978 when KT kicked 13 goals.
15!
I would like that too Easty, I was 2.

josie
02-01-2024, 07:10 PM
Agree about not having a lot of goal run ons against us. I?d like a few more fellas to fly the flag like Libba does too. The way we played in 2015 was fun to watch, annd it?s understandable that?s likely not gonna be repeated.

I?m often optimistic this time of year so I think we can make top 4.

The bulldog tragician
02-01-2024, 07:25 PM
My feelings about season 2024 are completely overshadowed by a recent terrible sadness in our family. My brother died very suddenly in early December. To me footy has always been about our family who all barrack for the Dogs and have stood or sat watching them together for decades. So with his absence in season 2024 I can?t imagine footy ever being fun again.

Some of you might remember my brother as the guy who called out: ?Get your stickers here..up yours Oakley!? at the 1989 fight back rally. That little clip, which you can see at around 4.24 on this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg34yG0OE2g was played at his funeral.

https://i.postimg.cc/XJPCXnM3/IMG-0529.jpg (https://postimg.cc/WFM3HLbf)

Grantysghost
02-01-2024, 08:20 PM
Oh my condolences trag that's very sad news. Sending you my best wishes and to all your family.

My late father and my mum are in the next scene, my Dad consoles my Mum in the yellow jumper and she wipes the tears.
They were amazing times, I've seen your brother before at games he is a familiar Bulldogs face.

Let's hope we can make him proud this year.

EasternWest
02-01-2024, 08:48 PM
My feelings about season 2024 are completely overshadowed by a recent terrible sadness in our family. My brother died very suddenly in early December. To me footy has always been about our family who all barrack for the Dogs and have stood or sat watching them together for decades. So with his absence in season 2024 I can?t imagine footy ever being fun again.

Some of you might remember my brother as the guy who called out: ?Get your stickers here..up yours Oakley!? at the 1989 fight back rally. That little clip, which you can see at around 4.24 on this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg34yG0OE2g was played at his funeral.

Trag, I am sorry to hear this. Thoughts are with you.

The good news is he will be immortalised and lionised forever for his role in sticking it up Oakley.

In that, he lives forever. Vale.

mjp
02-01-2024, 09:34 PM

I'm so sorry mate.

I awakened today with news that my friend's 6 year old son has been killed in a vehicle accident in New Zealand...now I am reading about your tragic loss.

Honestly, this world we live in.

josie
02-01-2024, 10:40 PM
My deepest condolences BDTrag to you and your family.

Losing a sibling hurts so much. I so miss reminiscing about family recollections with my 2 dearly departed brothers.

soupman
02-01-2024, 11:01 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that Trag. Hope you guys are ok.

When my Dad passed it left a huge hole in our Bulldogs experience, he was the driving force behind our love for football and the wisest and best football brain we had, not to mention the loudest and biggest smart arse in our group. Going to games has been different ever since, and honestly not necessarily better, but it's a great place to reflect on time spent with him and while the makeup of our group has changed the passion he has instilled in us has not.

Eastdog
02-01-2024, 11:36 PM
Sorry to hear that TBT. Thoughts are with you, family and friends.

Hope you are all ok.

jeemak
03-01-2024, 01:04 AM
Oh Trag, sorry to hear of the passing of your brother. Chin up and cherish his memory. :)

MJP that's horrible to hear from afar. Likewise to you and all involved.

bornadog
03-01-2024, 09:47 AM

Very sorry to hear this TBT and my condolences to you and the family.

I had a big chat with him last year at the season launch, initially not knowing he was your brother and he was a lovely guy. Very sad indeed.

My late father and my mum are in the next scene, my Dad consoles my Mum in the yellow jumper and she wipes the tears.
small world

Twodogs
04-01-2024, 08:16 PM
Im so sorry for you and your family Trag. I hope you are OK.

CarnTheScray
08-01-2024, 11:15 AM
Top 4 is the aim but Top 3 is what I want personally. Most premiers come from the Top 3, not 4th.

SquirrelGrip
08-01-2024, 01:21 PM
My wish is that Bont becomes the cream this year - he's not the reason we win each week (that's the rest of the team), but he's the reason why we start smash other teams. Time to run over teams with the talent we have.

Sedat
08-01-2024, 02:43 PM
Loved 1985 but my absolute favourite non-flag year was 1992. We went from not existing less than 2 years earlier to finishing equal top, beating a red-hot St Kilda 3 times (including at Moorabbin and also smashing them in a final). Del Re kicked 70 goals including 8 in a final. We kicked 11 goals to zero against Fitzroy (when they were good) in a qtr at Princes Park. Just a fantastic year where we finished exactly where we belonged with no finals hard luck stories.

He at least would have been in the same postcode as Lethal, unlike Hardie.

bornadog
08-01-2024, 03:32 PM
Loved 1985 but my absolute favourite non-flag year was 1992. We went from not existing less than 2 years earlier to finishing equal top, beating a red-hot St Kilda 3 times (including at Moorabbin and also smashing them in a final). Del Re kicked 70 goals including 8 in a final. We kicked 11 goals to zero against Fitzroy (when they were good) in a qtr at Princes Park. Just a fantastic year where we finished exactly where we belonged with no finals hard luck stories.

He at least would have been in the same postcode as Lethal, unlike Hardie.

The unfortunate thing in 1992 was Greg Dears dirty act to kill Fozzie off for the season and we needed him in the finals to stop Brownless.