PDA

View Full Version : Where to for Riley Garcia?

bornadog
24-01-2024, 12:10 PM
https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2024/01/23/bfced100-4c2b-41d3-a56f-84a1d8d7908e/2024Bio_Garcia.png?width=708

Bio

Riley Garcia arrived at the Kennel with pick 62 in the 2019 AFL Draft from Western Australia. A prolific ball-winning midfielder who runs hard both ways, he managed nine games in 2021 after making his debut in round 11. Garcia is a natural leader who plays with enthusiasm, with his tough, physical approach setting an excellent standard for his team. Rolled up from half-forward as an outlet, hassled defenders, found space to take marks and shots on goal.

Riley has had a few interrupted seasons since coming to the club starting off with an ACL. Turns 23 next week, he has only managed 19 games since his draft in 2019

Where do we see him playing in 2024?

Can he break into the best 23?

I feel 2024 is his last chance to prove himself.

Grantysghost
24-01-2024, 12:30 PM
I really like Riley. He just needs to get an opportunity and grab it, otherwise it could well be his last season.

I hope he makes it, has an x factor I like. Reminds me of a Clay Smith.

PR0408
24-01-2024, 12:58 PM
I really like Riley. He just needs to get an opportunity and grab it, otherwise it could well be his last season.

I agree. It?s a brutal contact sport and in my opinion is a standout VFL player and with some luck and being super fit he could become a very reliable AFL player. Good speed and agility among with some toughness. I hope he is given another two years.

bornadog
24-01-2024, 02:04 PM

I agree. It?s a brutal contact sport and in my opinion is a standout VFL player and with some luck and being super fit he could become a very reliable AFL player. Good speed and agility among with some toughness. I hope he is given another two years.

Where do you see him playing? mid, small forward?

bulldogtragic
24-01-2024, 03:40 PM
Matty Boyd like smaller defender. But he’s a bit quicker too.

Grantysghost
24-01-2024, 04:53 PM
Where do you see him playing? mid, small forward?

That's the issue probably, there's not a clear role for him.
Ideally inside mid / forward I'd say.

Grantysghost
24-01-2024, 05:28 PM
Matty Boyd like smaller defender. But he’s a bit quicker too.

Interesting hadn't thought of that BT. Could be a candidate, does he have the leg speed?

bulldogtragic
24-01-2024, 06:11 PM
Interesting hadn't thought of that BT. Could be a candidate, does he have the leg speed?

Yep, quick enough, and a hard nut and good tackler.

Dazza
25-01-2024, 07:16 PM
I really like Garcia. Just that one game where everything went wrong sticks in my mind a bit. Giving away 50m penalties etc

Warrnambulldog
25-01-2024, 11:43 PM
think it was game prior to that shocking game, he was one of our best. I?m a fan of his, maybe aspiring to be a young Dahlhaus is his comparison. Needs to start finding the goals and make half forward his main position to keep his spot I think

FrediKanoute
26-01-2024, 12:48 AM
Has something, just can't get on the park long enough to show it.

Important year for him to show that the spark has signs of life.

Backline could be an interesting move for him.

whythelongface
26-01-2024, 09:43 AM
Has something, just can't get on the park long enough to show it.

Important year for him to show that the spark has signs of life.

Backline could be an interesting move for him.

Agree. Definitely has ability. Biggest issue is where does he play. Midfield seems his best position but he is behind a raft of players. In saying that we do need another in and under Libba style player so there is a definite opportunity for him, just needs to stay on the park and show development this year.

Virgin-Dog
26-01-2024, 03:14 PM
Whenever Garcia has been fully fit, he's been in the 22, so it's a safe assumption he's a "best 22" player. Injuries are all that stands in his way, and frankly it is appearing to be a big enough problem that it wouldn't shock me to see him manage somewhere in the realm of 5-10 games this year and ultimately be delisted. Sometimes talented players just don't make it because such a critical element (durability) is so poor. Like Morabito at Freo

Prince Imperial
26-01-2024, 04:33 PM
From the games I've seen of him at both AFL and VFL level, his field kicking skills have been subpar. Definitely his last season to establish himself as an AFL player.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-01-2024, 12:31 PM
I want to like him.

His game looks like it would translate well to big games/finals because he's quick and enjoys the physical aspect of the game, not too dissimilar to Dahlhaus back in the day (mind you, he is yet to prove it - but the attributes remind me of Dahl).

He needs a strong year though because I'm not sure we will keep carrying him. I'd be interested to know where our plans would be for him to play.

Happy Days
30-01-2024, 12:17 AM
Yeah I also sold my stock. His 2023 was a complete disaster and I think irretrievably set him back.

ledge
30-01-2024, 01:09 PM
Dalhaus is a good comparison , I think Garcia is a tiny bit faster but the one thing that isn?t in his favour sadly is his height.
A one on one marking situation he will never win.
We already have Daniel can we afford another ? Not in in the backline.
He has to play in the middle, in and under to make it in my opinion.

hujsh
30-01-2024, 01:22 PM
Dalhaus is a good comparison , I think Garcia is a tiny bit faster but the one thing that isn?t in his favour sadly is his height.
A one on one marking situation he will never win.
We already have Daniel can we afford another ? Not in in the backline.
He has to play in the middle, in and under to make it in my opinion.

Bro is nearly 10cm taller than Daniel. Still on the smaller side for AFL but with a half decent leap should be able to compete with the small forwards of the world (same height as Weightman). Could comfortably play pretty much any area of the ground

ledge
30-01-2024, 02:02 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but I’ve yet to see him take a contested mark, he isn’t a marking type player we have enough of them, if he is going to compete in getting a game due to marking he won’t get a game, his strength has to be in and under mid for him to make it with us .
Half decent leap will still not compete with a forward in AFL, his height will not allow a half decent leap to be good enough as the forward would have more than half a decent leap or they wouldn’t be forwards of AFL standard.

hujsh
30-01-2024, 03:04 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but I’ve yet to see him take a contested mark, he isn’t a marking type player we have enough of them, if he is going to compete in getting a game due to marking he won’t get a game, his strength has to be in and under mid for him to make it with us .
Half decent leap will still not compete with a forward in AFL, his height will not allow a half decent leap to be good enough as the forward would have more than half a decent leap or they wouldn’t be forwards of AFL standard.

Dureya is 179cm. He's absolutely tall enough to play as a small defender.

Just needs to be able to spoil when necessary but would hopefully normally stay on the ground.

If he's got the aptitude for it height won't stop him

Can Bar
30-01-2024, 07:59 PM
Would be great to see him get a good run without the niggles, think he can add a bit of mongrel, at the coalface similar to west

bornadog
30-01-2024, 09:31 PM
Would be great to see him get a good run without the niggles, think he can add a bit of mongrel, at the coalface similar to west

Where do you see him playing/

jeemak
30-01-2024, 09:51 PM
I'm still furious with him for the fifty he gave away when standing on the mark and just tapped the ball out of the opposition players hands.

Not sure I'll ever get over it........!

I think we'll keep him around for midfield depth, a bit like West. He's on the brink and waiting in the wings for when Libba and Treloar decline. Sanders makes life a little trickier for him, but Smith being out counter balances that somewhat.

He just needs to keep improving and he'll stay on the list.

Can Bar
31-01-2024, 07:55 AM
Where do you see him playing/

probably Fwd, pinch hitting through the midfield. could he be that annoying tagger type if he has the endurance??

Axe Man
31-01-2024, 10:25 AM

He only managed 5 games in the VFL (2 of those finals and all later in the season) and 3 AFL games. If he could manage something approaching a full season at least we could get a better idea of whether he is worth persisting with or not.

GVGjr
31-01-2024, 10:55 AM
He only managed 5 games in the VFL (2 of those finals and all later in the season) and 3 AFL games. If he could manage something approaching a full season at least we could get a better idea of whether he is worth persisting with or not.

It must be frustrating for the player and the list management team that he can't get on the field enough to really gauge his performances properly. I was told a couple of years back that he was being groomed as a replacement or understudy for Liberatore and that the club had a long term view with his development but his lack of ability to get continuity of his football possibly means he has to make the most of any chances this year.

Dry Rot
19-04-2024, 11:58 PM
What do you think of the 2024 version of Garcia?

I read of his of his exploits at the VFL level egos year, but how do you rate his first outing at AFL level? I was pretty impressed.

Happy Days
20-04-2024, 12:07 AM
I was really flat about him after what is maybe the worst individual game I’ve ever seen last year from his one appearance, but he brought something last night and his VFL form is undeniable. Back in.

bulldogtragic
20-04-2024, 08:46 AM
If he can keep this up, all of a sudden our next tier of mids looks good.

Top Shelf: Bont, Libba, Treloar
Former Top: Macrae, Daniel
Next: Richards, Sanders, Garcia, Gags, and while West is forward could still pinch hit there

With Smith gone.

Bulldog Joe
20-04-2024, 09:31 AM
His kick to Cody in Qtr 1 was a thing of beauty.

Vision and execution.

macca
20-04-2024, 09:40 AM
Its so important that Garcia strings a number of games. His been on our list since 2019 draft pick 62, age 23 . Other than Smith , his one of young mids that need to come through and cement their spot. 20 games... the bench mark is 50 games I reckon for him to make it. He should be hitting his prime by then , .I hope...
He has pace , agression and likes to compete.

The Adelaide Connection
20-04-2024, 11:19 AM
Its so important that Garcia strings a number of games. His been on our list since 2019 draft pick 62, age 23 . Other than Smith , his one of young mids that need to come through and cement their spot. 20 games... the bench mark is 50 games I reckon for him to make it. He should be hitting his prime by then , .I hope...
He has pace , agression and likes to compete.

Garcia has Lipinski vibes- I feel like someone else is going o snap him up due to lack of opportunity and he will turn into an excellent first choice player for them.

I am guessing Freo and WC would already be asking the question.

EasternWest
20-04-2024, 11:23 AM
Garcia has Lipinski vibes- I feel like someone else is going o snap him up due to lack of opportunity and he will turn into an excellent first choice player for them.

It's an interesting comparison. I guess the point of difference is as much as we all liked dreamy Lipinski, his skillset and ability is something we have a surfeit of. Whereas Garcia has grunt and a bit of pace, two things we could really use.

At this stage I see us wanting to keep Garcia more so than we ever did SSPL.

The Adelaide Connection
20-04-2024, 12:33 PM
I think it all depends on whether he gets consistent game time. If he can play like he did on the weekend/his vfl form it might not be a problem.

But if he is in and out then a team offering regular footy will be too hard to say no to (particularly if it is a WA team one would suspect). Lipinski was a dogs supporter and even he could not be convinced to stay.

jDogs
20-04-2024, 01:12 PM

Hard to get opportunity if you are consistently injured though, that's the main difference between the two.
Whenever he has been fit and has a decent run at it, he has found his way into the team.

I mean, the guy has only played 20 VFL games since 2020 also, that's 40 total games in 4 and a quarter seasons of footy.

Hotdog60
20-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Garcia is our future Libba with more pace I be offering 2-3 years extension.