PDA

View Full Version : The Busta Beazer Goalkicking Leaderboard 2024

The Doctor
10-02-2024, 09:43 AM
Welcome to the 2024 Busta Beazer Leaderboard. This is the weekly goalkicking thread named after all time and 7 time leading goalkicker and Team of the Century superstar Simon Beasley.

Each week we will honour a goal kicking great as we update the leaderboard throughout the season. The inaugural winner of the Buster Beazer Award in 2023 was Astro Naughton with 44 goals. In 2nd place was Jamarra with 35. 3rd place went to Flea with 34. In 4th place was the Lobbster with 24 and the Bont with 19 rounded out the top 5

For further details on last year?s leaderboard and the honoured greats here is the thread started by eminent poster Go Dogs

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?23209-Who-will-be-our-leading-goal-kicker-in-2023/page9

So everyone,

Who will be our leading goalkicker in 2024 and take out the Busta Beazer Award?

Who will break into the top 5?

Who will surprise us all and kick a bag of 5+?

Feel free to make a fearless prediction!

The Doctor
10-02-2024, 09:48 AM
I think Jamarra with 57 will win it. Flea 2nd with 46 and Astro in 3rd with 40.

Sam Darcy to break into the top 5 with 21 and he will kick a bag against lolNorf

Vandermeer to do an Anthony Scott and kick 3 in a game!!

bulldogtragic
10-02-2024, 10:55 AM
I voted Marra. I want to see what Johno’s influence on goal kicking is before fearless predictions. I hope Sanders plays right away as it reads/seems like his entry kicking is top shelf.

GVGjr
10-02-2024, 11:02 AM
I voted Marra. I want to see what Johno’s influence on goal kicking is before fearless predictions. I hope Sanders plays right away as it reads/seems like his entry kicking is top shelf.

Marra has the potential to be a highly skilled goal kicker. His field kicking over summer has been impressive and if Johnson can add something to his technique or approach then he could easily be our most potent forward.

bulldogtragic
10-02-2024, 11:16 AM
Marra has the potential to be a highly skilled goal kicker. His field kicking over summer has been impressive and if Johnson can add something to his technique or approach then he could easily be our most potent forward.

I think if he hits his ceiling, he’s comfortably our best player after Bont soon. A long contract would make me very happy.

Uninformed
10-02-2024, 03:46 PM
Going with Marra. He knows where, when and how to lead, is a beautiful mark, and is fitter and stronger this year.

If he fixes his accuracy he will win the Coleman!

bornadog
10-02-2024, 03:47 PM
I am sticking with Astro, I think he still has a big presences in the forward line and will be hard not to spot him out.

Virgin-Dog
10-02-2024, 05:19 PM
I think if he hits his ceiling, he’s comfortably our best player after Bont soon. A long contract would make me very happy.
I know we lost the Pies game last year and he suffered from inaccuracy in front of goal, but it was incredible watching him absolutely towel up Moore. And not because Moore didn?t defend well, I actually thought he played his role brilliantly, it?s just JUH was too much to handle. I expect more of that this year

Twodogs
10-02-2024, 08:06 PM
I am sticking with Astro, I think he still has a big presentences in the forward line and will be hard not to spot him out.

What's a presentences?

Uninformed
10-02-2024, 08:16 PM
What's a presentences?

It sounds important.

bornadog
10-02-2024, 11:12 PM
What's a presentences?

BLoody auto correct

Presence

Stevo
11-02-2024, 05:47 AM
I'm just going off the training reports but Cody has to be a chance to go berserk in a game and kick 7 this year.
I went with Naughton but it's guess. Have we every had a potentially more potent forward line?

Go_Dogs
11-02-2024, 08:13 AM
I’ve voted for JUH too.

I think he’s primed to get more shots on goal than the others with his increased workrate and my expectation Naughton will drift further afield. If the accuracy is addressed too, he’s a shoe in.

azabob
11-02-2024, 09:11 AM
I’m all in on Weightman this season.

He will kick some bags but also consistently hit the scoreboard and is our most reliable in front of goal.

SquirrelGrip
11-02-2024, 10:02 AM
I'm just going off the training reports but Cody has to be a chance to go berserk in a game and kick 7 this year.
I went with Naughton but it's guess. Have we every had a potentially more potent forward line?

That proposes another interesting question - who will kick the biggest individual bag in a game this year? Maybe Cody will go newer as you say, but Marra I think will be leading goalkicker.

jeemak
11-02-2024, 11:36 PM
I’m all in on Weightman this season.

He will kick some bags but also consistently hit the scoreboard and is our most reliable in front of goal.

Are we at a point where we think he'll make it? :)

I've gone with Naughton, think he'll get up to 65 or so in his biggest year. Only for dickhead to continue criticising the contract we gave him every week.

josie
12-02-2024, 12:32 AM
I am sticking with Astro, I think he still has a big presences in the forward line and will be hard not to spot him out.

Yep. Me too.

Twodogs
12-02-2024, 02:41 AM
It sounds important.

Doesn't it? Like a big worry somebody has that they're currently ignoring.

The Doctor
15-03-2024, 02:54 PM
Come on folks get your predictions in. I will try and organise a prize for whoever hits the bullseye at the end of the year. Something like a highly sought after Dwaynes World T-Shirt.

As for the R1 v Melbourne game it will be interesting to see how they line up against us. I suspect Astro and Jamarra will get May and Lever. Although they may try and find another match up for one of them to keep Lever loose. They have dropped Tomlinson but have 3 medium defenders in Rivers and the relatively inexperienced Howes and Hore. I imagine one of them gets Weightman. Who will they play on Lobb? This could be our key card. Especially if Bevo allows English to go forward. Then we have West and O'Neill. They have no answer to them so my predictions for this week are;

Lobb to kick 5
West 3
McNeill 3
English 2

we win by 77

bornadog
15-03-2024, 03:04 PM
Come on folks get your predictions in. I will try and organise a prize for whoever hits the bullseye at the end of the year. Something like a highly sought after Dwaynes World T-Shirt.

As for the R1 v Melbourne game it will be interesting to see how they line up against us. I suspect Astro and Jamarra will get May and Lever. Although they may try and find another match up for one of them to keep Lever loose. They have dropped Tomlinson but have 3 medium defenders in Rivers and the relatively inexperienced Howes and Hore. I imagine one of them gets Weightman. Who will they play on Lobb? This could be our key card. Especially if Bevo allows English to go forward. Then we have West and O'Neill. They have no answer to them so my predictions for this week are;

Lobb to kick 5
West 3
McNeill 3
English 2

we win by 77

Surely Naughts and JUH kick a goal or two:)

The Doctor
15-03-2024, 03:06 PM
Surely Naughts and JUH kick a goal or two:)

they will but they are obvious. Likewise Flea. I feel this could be a game where we get some goal kicking surprises.

I think if May is having too much impact we should send Liam Jones to him. That will be the end of May and we will run riot.

The Doctor
17-03-2024, 06:04 PM
The Round 1 goal kicking award is named after and honours, and it is only fitting that one of the greatest debutants in VFL/AFL history be it's recipient, the one and only John Geordiades.

John Georgiades was taken at pick 35 in the 1988 VFL Draft. The same draft that delivered Leon Cameron & Chris Grant, and the terrific Tassie trio of Scott Davies, Robert Bloom and Matthew Queen! In his last game before joining the Dogs, Georgiades kicked 6 in Subiaco's 1988 WAFL premiership. He would play 15 games and kick 27 goals for us. But who would ever forget his debut in Round 1, 1989 v Carlton? Georgiades kicked 8.4 on that day as we cantered in by 59 points. Our greatest ever winning margin v The Blues at the time. He was ably supported by partners in crime Phil O'Keefe (3). Mark Cullen (2) and Richard Cousins (2). Carlton had no answer to that formidable forward line despite having a plethora of stars from their 1987 premiership hapless to be able to do anything about it. A tragic day in their history. In his 3rd game for us, Georgiades booted 5 of our 8 goals against North. He looked like a superstar. If anyone has any information on what happened after that please send a full report.

Goalkickers for Round 1 v Toorak Toss Pots

Ugle-Hagan 2, Naughton, Lobb, Gallagher, Bontempelli, Weightman, Bramble, West

The John Georgiades medal is awarded to Jamarra

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 1

2. Ugle-Hagan
1. Naughton, Lobb, Gallagher, Bontempelli, Weightman, Bramble, West

So early in the 2nd quarter our top 5 goalkickers from 2023 had all registered their first major. It looked obvious to me they were having a battle royale to go to the top of the Buster Beazer leaderboard. In the end Jamarra make's his first statement for the year and claims top spot. It's always great when a youngster on debut snags one. Well done to Gags on kicking his first on debut. He had a chance for a 2nd but forgot to kick it. For a moment there I was getting Georgiades vibes. I always love it when a defender wanders down and accidentally kicks one. Loved Bramble's goal today. I hereby declare a new goalkicking award 'The Greg Eppelstun Award' for bonafide defenders who kick a goal. Eppelstun kicked 1 goal in his 102 game career, the day he ran amok v Norf in 1988. This will be a perpetual award that will be passed on among members of our men's dept. If Bramble is next to goal he can hand the award to himself.

Did you know? John Georgiades 8 goal debut is in the top 5 goalkicking performances on debut since the VFL/AFL was invented? In fact, did you also know we have 2 players in the all time top 5? Bill Wood with 9 in 1944 is the other. Wood held the best ever record til John Coleman (Ess) claimed it with 12 in 1949. The other 2 to make the top 5 are Warren Ralph (Carl) and Scott Cummings (Ess) also with 8 each.

Then again some of the greats of this great game have failed to trouble the goalscorers on debut including our very own Buster Beasley. Others to name a few were Jeremy Cameron, Allen Jakovich and that baron of boofheads Jonathon Brown who failed to register a single stat on debut. Unlike to colossal debit's of Daniel Metropolis who kicked 6, Martin McGrath who kicked 5 against us and disappeared a few weeks later and our very own Jason Tutt with a memorable 4 goal display on debut. Is there any chance the AFL could trade Jonathon Brown to the NRL?

Who was there when John Georgiades ran riot at Princes Park in round 1, 1989?

bornadog
17-03-2024, 10:51 PM

Yes I was there

angelopetraglia
17-03-2024, 11:10 PM
Georgiardes had 15 goals after round #3. He then kicked only four more goals for the season and only 12 more goals in his entire VFL career.

jazzadogs
18-03-2024, 12:30 AM
I love the wide-ranging places that the Busta Beazer Goalkicking Leaderboard round update posts can take us to.

I remember Gia kicked a couple on debut in the wet against Adelaide.

And who could forget Tim Walsh goaling on debut/in his final game, with his first/last kick.

The Doctor
27-03-2024, 12:02 PM
The Round 2 goal kicking award is named after and honours one of our all time greats, the legendary Superboot, Bernie Quinlan.

Quinlan was recruited from Traralgon and made his debut as a 17yo in 1969. Superboot was our leading goal kicker in 1971 with 48 majors. In fact in Jamarra style he kicked 48.47 that year. He also had tallies of 37.41, 20.23, 34.39 and 27.38. Overall he kicked 241 goals for us in his 177 games. His best haul for us came v Norf when he booted 7.8. I fondly recall my very first VFL game at Princess Park in 1976. We needed a draw or win to make the finals. How about some of these match ups? Quinlan v Doull, Templeton v Southby, Dempsey v Fitzpatrick. They had Jezza, Walls and McClure in attack. Superboot was brilliant that day slotting 3 and along with Templeton steered the Dogs to a nail biting draw. We made the finals!!!! It was like seeing actual superheroes live in action for this young Tassie boy. Almost as good as seeing Fuzzy Manson from North Hobart. I still believe Superboot and Templeton are the best CHF & FF combination Ive seen in our colours.

Goalkickers for Round 2 v Cold Ghost

Weightman 6, Baker 3, Naughton 2, Darcy 2, Bontempelli 2, Liberatore, Khamis, Ugle-Hagan

The Bernie Quinlan Superboot medal is awarded to Cody SuperFlea Weightman

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 2

7. Weightman
3. Baker, Naughton, Jamarra, Bont
2. Darcy
1. Lobb, Gallagher, Bramble, West, Libba, Khamis

Wow! What about SuperFlea singlehandedly destroying the Suns with a blistering 4 goal first quarter before finishing with an equal career best of 6? Flea is the early pacesetter opening a 4 goal lead at the top of the leaderboard. But the big guns Astro, Jamarra and Bont are in hot pursuit. They are joined by the fabulous Baker boy who slammed in 3. Don't you just love it when a guy who looks like a 1980's bank teller at the Commonwealth Bank runs riot. I was a bank teller in the 80's but with hair more suited to being in Deep Purple. I was the local freak at my bank! Sam Darcy makes his move onto the Leaderboard. Just watch when he kicks 8. The media will insist he gets $1.8m per year contract to stay with us. How then will we fit in all of Jamarra, English, Baz, Darcy and Baker (who deserves to write his own contract if you ask me)? Libba and Buku also join the leaderboard. Buku now takes possession of the Greg Eppelstun Perpetual Trophy for goal kicking defenders. I will try and arrange a blazer that the holder of this trophy can then put on the new winner like they do in the US Masters. I had a green blazer I used to wear when I was in the Tasmanian Youth Brass Band. it had the TYBB inscribed on it and may be a bit small but I think it would be perfect. I'll try and find it in the garage. Unless Mum sold it!

Did you know Superboot made his debut for the Big V as a Centre Half Back? He also joined the Bulldogs the same year as Barry Round in 1969. 12 years later the two of them would tie for the Brownlow Medal. With other clubs (insert cranky face here). Some other notable records include;

* He is 11th on the all time AFL goal kicking list with 817 career goals
* first player to play 150 games for 2 clubs
* One of only a few players to win both a Coleman and Brownlow Medal. Templeton is another.
* being an inaugural inductee to the AFL Hall of Fame
* The Brisbane Lion's mascot is named in honour of him 'Bernie Gabba Vegas'.
* Is one of my all time favourite players and he wore no.2

bornadog
27-03-2024, 03:24 PM
I fondly recall my very first VFL game at Princess Park in 1976. We needed a draw or win to make the finals.

A lot of people left that game early thinking we were done. By the time they got to their car we managed the draw. I remember being there but can't remember much of the game.

ledge
27-03-2024, 03:28 PM
The Round 1 goal kicking award is named after and honours, and it is only fitting that one of the greatest debutants in VFL/AFL history be it's recipient, the one and only John Geordiades.

John Georgiades was taken at pick 35 in the 1988 VFL Draft. The same draft that delivered Leon Cameron & Chris Grant, and the terrific Tassie trio of Scott Davies, Robert Bloom and Matthew Queen! In his last game before joining the Dogs, Georgiades kicked 6 in Subiaco's 1988 WAFL premiership. He would play 15 games and kick 27 goals for us. But who would ever forget his debut in Round 1, 1989 v Carlton? Georgiades kicked 8.4 on that day as we cantered in by 59 points. Our greatest ever winning margin v The Blues at the time. He was ably supported by partners in crime Phil O'Keefe (3). Mark Cullen (2) and Richard Cousins (2). Carlton had no answer to that formidable forward line despite having a plethora of stars from their 1987 premiership hapless to be able to do anything about it. A tragic day in their history. In his 3rd game for us, Georgiades booted 5 of our 8 goals against North. He looked like a superstar. If anyone has any information on what happened after that please send a full report.

Goalkickers for Round 1 v Toorak Toss Pots

Ugle-Hagan 2, Naughton, Lobb, Gallagher, Bontempelli, Weightman, Bramble, West

The John Georgiades medal is awarded to Jamarra

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 1

2. Ugle-Hagan
1. Naughton, Lobb, Gallagher, Bontempelli, Weightman, Bramble, West

So early in the 2nd quarter our top 5 goalkickers from 2023 had all registered their first major. It looked obvious to me they were having a battle royale to go to the top of the Buster Beazer leaderboard. In the end Jamarra make's his first statement for the year and claims top spot. It's always great when a youngster on debut snags one. Well done to Gags on kicking his first on debut. He had a chance for a 2nd but forgot to kick it. For a moment there I was getting Georgiades vibes. I always love it when a defender wanders down and accidentally kicks one. Loved Bramble's goal today. I hereby declare a new goalkicking award 'The Greg Eppelstun Award' for bonafide defenders who kick a goal. Eppelstun kicked 1 goal in his 102 game career, the day he ran amok v Norf in 1988. This will be a perpetual award that will be passed on among members of our men's dept. If Bramble is next to goal he can hand the award to himself.

Did you know? John Georgiades 8 goal debut is in the top 5 goalkicking performances on debut since the VFL/AFL was invented? In fact, did you also know we have 2 players in the all time top 5? Bill Wood with 9 in 1944 is the other. Wood held the best ever record til John Coleman (Ess) claimed it with 12 in 1949. The other 2 to make the top 5 are Warren Ralph (Carl) and Scott Cummings (Ess) also with 8 each.

Then again some of the greats of this great game have failed to trouble the goalscorers on debut including our very own Buster Beasley. Others to name a few were Jeremy Cameron, Allen Jakovich and that baron of boofheads Jonathon Brown who failed to register a single stat on debut. Unlike to colossal debit's of Daniel Metropolis who kicked 6, Martin McGrath who kicked 5 against us and disappeared a few weeks later and our very own Jason Tutt with a memorable 4 goal display on debut. Is there any chance the AFL could trade Jonathon Brown to the NRL?

I remember that day I was playing in a cricket final for totty Baps in Altona, radio in pocket ;-)
I was 26 and fully invested in my bulldogs.

Axe Man
27-03-2024, 03:56 PM
I remember that day I was playing in a cricket final for totty Baps in Altona, radio in pocket ;-)
I was 26 and fully invested in my bulldogs.

Why on earth was there a cricket grand final taking place in April?

bornadog
27-03-2024, 04:13 PM
delete

Twodogs
27-03-2024, 09:19 PM
Why on earth was there a cricket grand final taking place in April?

Clubs were playing finals last weekend. In fact one of the most amazing District cricket (or Premier league) finals of all time finished up on Saturday.

Axe Man
28-03-2024, 10:56 AM
Clubs were playing finals last weekend. In fact one of the most amazing District cricket (or Premier league) finals of all time finished up on Saturday.

Yeah I'm well aware but that would have been the last weekend for cricket, over a week before the start of April. Was just wondering why there was a game in April when local footy would be starting.

Jeanette54
28-03-2024, 06:10 PM
I believe that Naughton will be asked to roam further up the field this year, so my vote is for JUH.

The Doctor
04-04-2024, 11:16 AM
The Round 3 goal kicking award is named after and honours former captain and 1981 leading goal kicker Jim 'Jock' Edmond.

Jock was born in Scotland and was recruited from our fertile former country zone, Bairnsdale. He made his debut for us as an 18yo and would go on to play 154 games and booted 226 goals. He was our captain from 1983-85. Jock was a strong mark and excellent kick playing predominantly across half forward. Although he won the goal kicking in 1981 with 25 his best season came in 1982 when he slotted 46 goals and backed it up 1983 with 41. Jock's best performance for us came against Richmond when he steered us to victory with 7. He was prone to kicking bags for us. Some other notable performances came when he kicked 5 v Carlton in a shootout with Vin Cattoggio (one of my fave non Bulldogs players) who also kicked 5 in 1980. He hammered 5 v Melbourne in 1985 in our biggest ever win at the time, although he was slightly overshadowed by Buster Beasley who kicked 12.

Here is our captain in 1984 Jock Edmond offering some friendly advice to Collingwood's Gubby Allen

https://www.google.com/search?q=jim+edmond+footscray&client=safari&sca_esv=82662e44566a7af0&rls=en&biw=1324&bih=860&tbm=vid&ei=0uENZo2CEYidseMPr8CZmAw&oq=jim+edmond%C2%A0&gs_lp=Eg1nd3Mtd2l6LXZpZGVvIgxqaW0gZWRtb25kwqAqAggBMgUQABiABD IFEAAYgAQyBxAAGIAEGAoyBxAAGIAEGAoyBxAAGIAEGAoyBxAAGIAEGAoyBx AAGIAEGAoyBxAAGIAEGAoyBxAAGIAEGAoyBxAAGIAEGApIrBxQvQVYvQVwAH gAkAEAmAGtAaABugKqAQMwLjK4AQHIAQD4AQGYAgKgAsoCwgIFECEYnwWYAw CIBgGSBwMwLjKgB8II&sclient=gws-wiz-video#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:44524ea6,vid:9k5rTNZWqZA,st:0

Goalkickers for Round 3 v The Wiggles

Bontempelli 3, English 2, Gallagher 2, Weightman 2, Daniel, Darcy, Naughton, Treloar, Ugle-Hagan, Vandermeer, West

The Jim Jock Edmond medal is awarded to The Bont.

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 3

9. Weightman
6. Bont
4. Naughton, Jamarra
3. Baker, Gallagher, Darcy
2. English, West
1. Lobb, Bramble, Libba, Khamis, Daniel, Treloar, Vandermeer

Flea maintains top spot but the gap is reduced by the Bont who has finally won his very first weekly medal in the Buster Beazer Leaderboard honours. How fitting it is named after a fellow captain of the mighty Doggies. I am glad Bevo has taken my advice and played Bont forward. As I stated in these warblings last year when Bont kicks 20+ in a season we make the grand final. Gags after winning the rising star this week moves into equal 5th. Big Tim makes his debut on the leaderboard and we also welcome Daniel, Treloar and Vandermeer who is now everybody's favourite player.

Did you know Jock had an older brother called Bob? Bob played 10 games for Carlton in the 60's but his sporting fame came as a weightlifter in the heavyweight division. He represented Australia at the 1976 Olympics and twice won silver at the Commonwealth games. He finished runner up to Olympic Champion Dean Lukin on one of those occasions.

bornadog
04-04-2024, 11:57 AM
Thanks Doc, I was really upset when Edmond left us, he was a favourite in the 1980s, and a pretty good captain as well.

The Doctor
04-04-2024, 02:39 PM
Thanks Doc, I was really upset when Edmond left us, he was a favourite in the 1980s, and a pretty good captain as well.

So was I, very upset. I hated the Swans, Geoff Edelsten, Warwick Capper, The Swannettes, their supporters and the Sydney Opera House because of it. Really short sighted by our constantly bumbling administration of the era. We were in the premiership window. I'm glad Jock made his peace with the club and served us as a board member.

The Doctor
11-04-2024, 01:15 PM
The Round 4 goal kicking award is named after one of our all time greats, Team of the Century player, Brad Johnson.

What can I tell you about Johnno that you don't already know? I'll tell you. The smiling assassin hates Geelong as much if not more than me. This is evidenced by the fact he kicked more goals against Geelong than any other team in his 364 game & 558 goal career. He kicked 59 of them mostly on apparent greatest full back ever Matt Scarlett. I used to love watching Johnno tear him a new one such as the 8 he kicked in R1, 2007 in our 20 point win or the 6 he slotted in R9, 2002. These were a thing of surreal beauty. Johnno topped our goal kicking 5 times. Pretty good for a dude that started as a rosy red cheeked winger. Johnno won the Sutton medal 3x, was All Australian 6x and was our captain from 2007-2010. May I further add, had it existed at the time he would have also won the Buster Beazer 5x! I believe and standby Johnno was the best player in the league at various times in his career.

Goal kickers for Round 4 v The Handbaggers

Darcy 3, West 2, Weightman 2, Ugle-Hagan 2, Liberatore, Gallagher, Bontempelli, Williams, Treloar

The Johnno medal is awarded to Sam Darcy

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 4

11. Weightman
7. Bont
6. Darcy, Jamarra
4. Naughton, West, Gallagher
3. Baker
2. English, Treloar, Libba
1. Lobb, Bramble, Khamis, Daniel, Vandermeer, Williams

Flea extends his lead by 1 as we see Sam Darcy emerge from the chasing pack. Bevo is clearly a fan of Godzilla movies by deploying big Sam, Mechagodzilla style, to the forward line to stand over and wreak havoc and terror among opponents. If Sam wins the Buster Beazer I will personally invite him over to play my brand new Godzilla pinball machine! Could Gags or West be a dark horse for this prestigious award? We welcome Truck to the leaderboard. That wasn't a free in the lead up to his goal in my opinion!

Did you know Brad Johnson once cost me a bottle of Johnnie Blue Whisky? Well almost, I wriggled out of it. I had the guilty pleasure of attending a Geelong President's dinner prior to our R9 match with these flogs in 2009. I was invited by my boss at the time who was a Geelong groupie in much the same way 13yo girls adore Taylor Swift. It was pathetic really. Good news, I won a door prize of a weekend at some hotel in Geelong. Oh spare me I thought. We were behind all game til Johnno and Acker with 4 goals each led the fightback. As Johnno was lining up for his 5th from 40m directly in front to win the game, my boss offers me a wager. A bottle of Johnny Blue to the winner. I gladly accepted as Johnno was running hot. He missed.....! "JESUS JOHNNO" I yelled in the President's Room to the dismay of hundreds of handbag wielding Cats Groupies. I offered my Groupie boss the weekend in Geelong instead and he gladly accepted and I remained forever grateful that I didn't have to spend the weekend in Geelong.

Jeanette54
11-04-2024, 05:09 PM

I always thought the departure of Jimmy Edmond cost us dearly for a couple of seasons. I thought that we never appreciated his true value, and contribution to the team, until he wasn't there. I seem to remember it being linked to some mild hijinks on an end of season trip. We should have done a Collingwood, backed our boy and told the rest of the world where they could stick their complaints.

The Doctor
13-04-2024, 06:17 PM
The following contains coarse language and parental guidance is recommended. Typing this while hearing Jono Brown and Gary Lyon in the background doesn't help.

The Round 5 goal kicking award is named after former Essendung recruit Max Crow.

Big Max joined us in 1986 to be our support key forward to Busta Beasley and to be much needed help to Andrew Purser in the ruck. In essence he was our Rory Lobb of the era. He lasted just the one season. He played 12 games for us and booted 18 majors. Max had a couple of big games for us. He teamed up with Busta to kick 4 & 5 respectively, only to be outshone by Choco Royal with 7, in our 88 point demolition of the Lions. God I love Choco Royal! He also teamed up with brilliant small forward Craig Somerville to kick 4 & 3 respectively only to be outshone by Busta who kicked 7 in our trouncing of the Tigers. We clearly hated big cats in 1986. FYI Big Max also had 4 hit outs as we knocked off the pussycats of Geelong that year.

Goal kickers for Round 5 v Drug Cheating Umpire Sucking F%@#w!ts

Ugle-Hagan 3, West 2, Naughton 2, Vandermeer, Darcy

The Max Crow medal is awarded to Jamarra

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 5

11. Weightman
9. Jamarra
7. Bont, Darcy
6. West, Naughton
4. Gallagher
3. Baker
2. English, Treloar, Libba, Vandermeer
1. Lobb, Bramble, Khamis, Daniel, Williams

So while Flea falls asleep at the wheel Jamarra moves in and closes the gap to just 2. Things are tightening up at the top. Mechagodzilla (aka Sam Darcy, I really love my pinball machine) ominously moves into = 3rd. Westie proves yet again that footy smarts is a priceless gift. Thanks Scotty! He is now = 5th. We need Rhylee (is that the correct spelling?) to snag 6 this week against the Aints, just like his ol man did against the Effing Thucking Bummers in R5 1993 when we smashed them by 46 points. Astro keeps in touch and Vanders doubles his tally. Isn't that great? Does anyone remember the parody SBS Presenter in the Comedy Company or was it Fast Forward? She might have said in her Eastern Euro accent "I'm getting moist thinking of that Vander boy doubling up".

Did you know I hate football.

Rocket Science
21-05-2024, 10:03 PM
On the topic of sausage rolls, certainly some bold choices by the marketing department to herald the club's 25k goal milestone ...

https://i.ibb.co/JCX9R7r/25K.png (https://ibb.co/TrzsB8P)

jazzadogs
21-05-2024, 10:32 PM
Tim Walsh and Kieren McGuinness were stiff to miss, I thought.

Happy Days
21-05-2024, 11:54 PM
I think we’ve gone early on the 25,000 goals. It looks like Josh Bruce’s 63 goals for the club have accidentally been included in the tally when we all know they don’t count.

jazzadogs
21-05-2024, 11:58 PM
I think we’ve gone early on the 25,000 goals. It looks like Josh Bruce’s 63 goals for the club have accidentally been included in the tally when we all know they don’t count.

We're also credited with 10 goals from 25/09/2021 but I don't recall us playing a game on that date.

bornadog
06-06-2024, 03:00 PM
Goal kicking ladder - we didn't expect Darc one of the leaders

Rank
Name
Games
Total

Aaron Naughton (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--aaron-naughton)

Sam Darcy (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--sam-darcy)

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--jamarra-ugle-hagan)

Marcus Bontempelli (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--marcus-bontempelli)

Cody Weightman (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--cody-weightman)

Rhylee West (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--rhylee-west)

Laitham Vandermeer (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--laitham-vandermeer)

James Harmes (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--james-harmes)

Timothy English (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--timothy-english)

Harvey Gallagher (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--harvey-gallagher)

Adam Treloar (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--adam-treloar)

Riley Garcia (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--riley-garcia)

BornInDroopSt'54
06-06-2024, 03:39 PM
The Round 3 goal kicking award is named after and honours former captain and 1981 leading goal kicker Jim 'Jock' Edmond.

Jock was born in Scotland and was recruited from our fertile former country zone, Bairnsdale. He made his debut for us as an 18yo and would go on to play 154 games and booted 226 goals. He was our captain from 1983-85. Jock was a strong mark and excellent kick playing predominantly across half forward. Although he won the goal kicking in 1981 with 25 his best season came in 1982 when he slotted 46 goals and backed it up 1983 with 41. Jock's best performance for us came against Richmond when he steered us to victory with 7. He was prone to kicking bags for us. Some other notable performances came when he kicked 5 v Carlton in a shootout with Vin Cattoggio (one of my fave non Bulldogs players) who also kicked 5 in 1980. He hammered 5 v Melbourne in 1985 in our biggest ever win at the time, although he was slightly overshadowed by Buster Beasley who kicked 12.

Here is our captain in 1984 Jock Edmond offering some friendly advice to Collingwood's Gubby Allen

https://www.google.com/search?q=jim+edmond+footscray&client=safari&sca_esv=82662e44566a7af0&rls=en&biw=1324&bih=860&tbm=vid&ei=0uENZo2CEYidseMPr8CZmAw&oq=jim+edmond%C2%A0&gs_lp=Eg1nd3Mtd2l6LXZpZGVvIgxqaW0gZWRtb25kwqAqAggBMgUQABiABD IFEAAYgAQyBxAAGIAEGAoyBxAAGIAEGAoyBxAAGIAEGAoyBxAAGIAEGAoyBx AAGIAEGAoyBxAAGIAEGAoyBxAAGIAEGAoyBxAAGIAEGApIrBxQvQVYvQVwAH gAkAEAmAGtAaABugKqAQMwLjK4AQHIAQD4AQGYAgKgAsoCwgIFECEYnwWYAw CIBgGSBwMwLjKgB8II&sclient=gws-wiz-video#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:44524ea6,vid:9k5rTNZWqZA,st:0

Goalkickers for Round 3 v The Wiggles

Bontempelli 3, English 2, Gallagher 2, Weightman 2, Daniel, Darcy, Naughton, Treloar, Ugle-Hagan, Vandermeer, West

The Jim Jock Edmond medal is awarded to The Bont.

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 3

9. Weightman
6. Bont
4. Naughton, Jamarra
3. Baker, Gallagher, Darcy
2. English, West
1. Lobb, Bramble, Libba, Khamis, Daniel, Treloar, Vandermeer

Flea maintains top spot but the gap is reduced by the Bont who has finally won his very first weekly medal in the Buster Beazer Leaderboard honours. How fitting it is named after a fellow captain of the mighty Doggies. I am glad Bevo has taken my advice and played Bont forward. As I stated in these warblings last year when Bont kicks 20+ in a season we make the grand final. Gags after winning the rising star this week moves into equal 5th. Big Tim makes his debut on the leaderboard and we also welcome Daniel, Treloar and Vandermeer who is now everybody's favourite player.

Did you know Jock had an older brother called Bob? Bob played 10 games for Carlton in the 60's but his sporting fame came as a weightlifter in the heavyweight division. He represented Australia at the 1976 Olympics and twice won silver at the Commonwealth games. He finished runner up to Olympic Champion Dean Lukin on one of those occasions.
Jim is related my ex who is half aSri Lankan burgher and half Scottish.
Gotta love Australia.