PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs vs Hawthorn - Community Series 2/03/24

Pages : [1] 2

GVGjr
29-02-2024, 09:37 AM
While we are playing the Hawks again, I expect the intensity of this game to be increased from last week:

It will be interesting to see which players we send to Tasmania as it might be an strong indicator of who we take into the round 1 encounter with Melbourne.
I'd say O'Donnell won't travel and this might open the door for Khamis.
I also doubt that Dale will make the trip and I can't see Gardner playing at all.
Macrae should make the trip, how we will best use his talents is not so clear.
Duryea seems to more of a 2nds player at the moment and I wonder if this opens to door for Bramble to be given another chance?
The two biggest questions are how we might use both Darcy and Daniel. I think we will try and keep our forward line set-up with Naughton, Marra and Lobb so perhaps Darcy shares the workload with English in the ruck.

Sanders also gets his chance to play in front of his home town.

Who do you think might be part of our planning for this game? What would you like to see us trial?

bornadog
29-02-2024, 09:45 AM
AFL Community Series Matches will take on the following format:

Four quarters of 20 mins plus time on (as per AFL Premiership Season)
Squad of 30 players, eight interchange and four Emergencies. Minimum of four players on the Interchange Bench during the match at any time.
No interchange Cap.
Full panel of umpires appointed by the AFL.

Mantis
29-02-2024, 10:05 AM
I'd say O'Donnell won't travel and this might open the door for Khamis.

Are you suggesting we play Khamis as our 2nd KPD alongside Jones... surely not?

Would think that Gardner comes in for JOD with Khamis battling with Coffield and Richards as the ''3rd tall''.

Macrae should make the trip, how we will best use his talents is not so clear.

Given he won't be in our main midfield rotation he will either be used off the bench or at HF and then roll up to the midfield.... not keen on the HF option, and I probably prefer Sanders as the 4th mid... assuming that Bont, Treloar & Libba are the main rotation.

Duryea seems to more of a 2nds player at the moment and I wonder if this opens to door for Bramble to be given another chance?

If Dale misses as suggested then Bramble is the next in line in that role.

The two biggest questions are how we might use both Darcy and Daniel. I think we will try and keep our forward line set-up with Naughton, Marra and Lobb so perhaps Darcy shares the workload with English in the ruck.

I'm certainly keen to play all 3 of Lobb, Darcy & English... especially now that Darcy is capable of playing some effective minutes in the ruck.

Our POD could be the fact that we have dominant talls.. might as well play to that strength.

As with you I have no idea how or where we will use Daniel... how we get both Macrae & Daniel to fit into our team and be consistent contributors is one of Bevo's greatest challenges this year.

Grantysghost
29-02-2024, 10:09 AM
Where's Keath? Injured?

bornadog
29-02-2024, 10:23 AM
I think a few of the young guys will get a run given we can pick 30 players.

Buku, Cleary, Clarke, Poulter, Baker, Bramble will all get a go at some stage throughout the game.

Darcy, Lobb, JUH and Naughton all in but maybe changing at half time so they are not all in at the same time.

As mentioned in above posts, will be interesting to see where Macrae and Daniel are played.

GVGjr
29-02-2024, 10:25 AM
Where's Keath? Injured?

I think he will travel to Tas, not sure if he will play though

GVGjr
29-02-2024, 10:34 AM

Would think that Gardner comes in for JOD with Khamis battling with Coffield and Richards as the ''3rd tall''.

When JOD was injured early in the game Gardner was his replacement but I doubt that is an option now with Gardner on very restricted duties this week. It could be Busslinger or Keath who comes in but we might test Khamis and Coffields ability to play on taller players.

Given he won't be in our main midfield rotation he will either be used off the bench or at HF and then roll up to the midfield.... not keen on the HF option, and I probably prefer Sanders as the 4th mid... assuming that Bont, Treloar & Libba are the main rotation.

Tend to agree about Macrae

I'm certainly keen to play all 3 of Lobb, Darcy & English... especially now that Darcy is capable of playing some effective minutes in the ruck.

Our POD could be the fact that we have dominant talls.. might as well play to that strength.

As with you I have no idea how or where we will use Daniel... how we get both Macrae & Daniel to fit into our team and be consistent contributors is one of Bevo's greatest challenges this year.

Massive challenge for the coaches this year.

doggies ftw
29-02-2024, 10:41 AM

If Dale misses as suggested then Bramble is the next in line in that role.

Hopefully Keath gets a game if JOD misses, seems fit now.

I wouldn?t have Bramble as Dales replacement, more JJ or Richard?s if they were to miss IMO - if you?re replacing Dales key distributor role it would have to be Cleary I reckon, Bramble just does not have the foot skills to be one of our main designated kickers.

josie
29-02-2024, 11:23 AM
Hopefully Keath gets a game if JOD misses, seems fit now.

I wouldn?t have Bramble as Dales replacement, more JJ or Richard?s if they were to miss IMO - if you?re replacing Dales key distributor role it would have to be Cleary I reckon, Bramble just does not have the foot skills to be one of our main designated kickers.
I?d like to see Cleary given a go. He was pretty good last week.

GVGjr
29-02-2024, 11:30 AM
I?d like to see Cleary given a go. He was pretty good last week.

It certainly surprised me how well he performed. He can play on a range of opponents as well.

Axe Man
29-02-2024, 11:43 AM
Is it not as simple as Daniel playing in his most familiar backline role if Dale doesn't play?

Critter
29-02-2024, 12:04 PM
I reckon we should approach this as a practice match - that is, try a few options. As they once said about the Northern Territory, you'll never never know if you never never go.

B: JJ Jones Coffield
HB: Richards Busslinger Cleary
C: Poulter Libba Baker
HF: Sanders Naughton West
F: Lobb JUH Weightman

R: English Bont Treloar

I/C: Macrae Daniel Williams Harmes Darcy Scott Khamis Clarke

Emerg: Bramble VDM Gallagher McNeil

Now is a good chance to confirm whether or not Cleary & Khamis have improved and whether Busslinger is near AFL standard. Also, is it possible to manage a four-headed monster in a four quarter game?

doggies ftw
29-02-2024, 12:24 PM
Is it not as simple as Daniel playing in his most familiar backline role if Dale doesn't play?
Yeah fair that?s probably the solution for a real game, for a praccy though I?d probably rather put the minutes into seeing what Cleary can do in a key role. If Dale was to miss round 1 though definitely Daniel

lemmon
29-02-2024, 12:39 PM
I'll be there - the forecast looks like it'll be a perfect night for footy.

bornadog
29-02-2024, 03:20 PM
I reckon we should approach this as a practice match - that is, try a few options.

It is a practice match

Grantysghost
29-02-2024, 03:23 PM
It is a practice match
Post of the year, no way this will be matched.

Axe Man
29-02-2024, 03:43 PM
It is a practice match

To be fair Bevo has often treated the final practice match as a dress rehearsal for round 1 with a close to full strength side and often not fully utilising the extended interchange. It will be interesting to see what approach we take on Saturday.

GVGjr
29-02-2024, 04:13 PM
I'm just guessing but we could trial Busslinger and one other but still take close to our best available 23.
How we use, Darcy, Daniel and Macrae will be interesting.

Critter
29-02-2024, 04:28 PM
To be fair Bevo has often treated the final practice match as a dress rehearsal for round 1 with a close to full strength side and often not fully utilising the extended interchange. It will be interesting to see what approach we take on Saturday.

Exactly

Grantysghost
29-02-2024, 04:38 PM
BADs point is pretty undeniable.

Axe Man
29-02-2024, 04:42 PM
BADs point is pretty undeniable.

True. He deserves a new title.

https://i.postimg.cc/J7FTkwLS/obvious.gif (https://postimg.cc/7bg1FWbN)

bornadog
29-02-2024, 04:46 PM

I would like to try something different this year and give more players a go, and use up the full bench

Mantis
29-02-2024, 04:53 PM

Given we will be playing Melbourne in Rd 1, who will have already had the benefit of playing in Opening round, and Bevo spruiked this will be our most prepared team for Rd 1 in his tenure we have no option than to treat this game very seriously.... last week was for trialing/experimenting, this week should be a rehearsal as stated.

Grantysghost
29-02-2024, 05:23 PM
True. He deserves a new title.

https://i.postimg.cc/J7FTkwLS/obvious.gif (https://postimg.cc/7bg1FWbN)

hahaaaaaa second best post of the year.

Grantysghost
29-02-2024, 05:25 PM
Given we will be playing Melbourne in Rd 1, who will have already had the benefit of playing in Opening round, and Bevo spruiked this will be our most prepared team for Rd 1 in his tenure we have no option than to treat this game very seriously.... last week was for trialing/experimenting, this week should be a rehearsal as stated.

This make a lot of sense. Melbourne last night were pretty bloody serious. Although they played Schache. He played forward/second ruck. Did his usual not much.

Windsor looks an absolute jet.

JanLorMill
29-02-2024, 07:32 PM
Macrae at Footscray not Tassy

jeemak
29-02-2024, 08:57 PM
BAD I think some people need to be reminded of The Nets.

bornadog
29-02-2024, 09:40 PM
BAD I think some people need to be reminded of The Nets.

Line them up you think :D

jeemak
29-02-2024, 09:45 PM
Line them up you think :D

You're experienced enough to handle things.

bornadog
01-03-2024, 03:42 PM
What time are the teams out?

Axe Man
01-03-2024, 03:53 PM
AFL practice match teams: Western Bulldogs star Caleb Daniel under selection pressure (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2024-collingwood-star-scott-pendlebury-to-miss-final-preseason-match/news-story/3934025a121e1839a45660599ee3c508)

Could Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge make another shock call at selection ahead of round 1? There was some surprise news out of Whitten Oval this week, reports Sam Landsberger.

Western Bulldogs premiership star and All-Australian Caleb Daniel is understood to have come under shock selection pressure on the verge of the season.

There was a belief this week that the much-loved utility would be axed from the round 1 dress rehearsal against Hawthorn in Tasmania on Saturday night.

But sources have since confirmed that Daniel would travel to Launceston and be named in the squad to take on the Hawks in the pre-season match.

The Bulldogs will announce their team at 5pm on Friday.

Daniel has played some match simulations in the seconds this pre-season, but that is understood to be in part due to the Dogs’ strong core of midfielders.

Daniel, 27, has been a stalwart at Whitten Oval ever since he was drafted in 2014.

The link man with an incredible football IQ has played 85 out of the past 90 games and he has long been one of the club’s most consistent performers.

In 2020 Daniel won the Charles Sutton Medal as the club’s best-and-fairest in the same year he was named in the All-Australian team.

Last year, Daniel placed fourth in the best-and-fairest.

Daniel – who is contracted for a further three seasons – has placed inside the top seven in each of the past eight seasons.

If Daniel started the season on the fringe of selection it would come as a major shock to both supporters as well as some of his teammates.

Daniel’s place in the line-up now looms as a watch entering the home-and-away season.

Coach Luke Beveridge has a history of giving new recruits extended opportunities to make an instant impression.

It is expected both Melbourne recruit James Harmes and pre-season signing Lachie Bramble will be in the team to take on the Hawks in the pre-season clash.

Last year, Rory Lobb played 20 games despite his indifferent form while Jackson Trengove featured in 38 games across his first two seasons at Whitten Oval.

Trengove was secured as a high-priced free agent but was never able to transform the Dogs’ fortunes.

Jack Macrae has been left out of the pre-season squad, but that is purely to manage his minutes when playing for Footscray in a VFL scratch match as the three-time All-Australian recovers from a hamstring injury.

bornadog
01-03-2024, 03:58 PM
I still think Daniel's best spot is a back pocket

Curly5
01-03-2024, 04:01 PM
He could be axed but he’s gone to Tassie in the squad…

Is this just a beat up? I can’t imagine CD not being in the team. We need his level head and clever decision making. Also in the leadership group.

ledge
01-03-2024, 04:05 PM
So the article starts off Daniel in doubt then the next paragraph he is playing.
Then brings up Trengove ?
I’m sorry but this article makes no sense whatsoever , it is also a practice game , if you’re not playing two or three players who are on the fringe or new recruits you arent doing your job.
I have no idea what this article is trying to say.

Happy Days
01-03-2024, 04:34 PM
Remember when Bevo didn’t pick Caleb for Round 1 that year we got destroyed by GWS so he could pick Gowers and Honeychurch instead?

Doesn’t strictly apply here but wow that sucked.

Axe Man
01-03-2024, 06:43 PM
Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs
Saturday 2 March 2024 • 6:10 PM (AEDT)
University of Tasmania Stadium, Launceston • Palawa
Broadcast: Fox Footy/Kayo

B: Lachie Bramble, Liam Jones, Nick Coffield
HB: Ed Richards, Buku Khamis, Jason Johannisen
C: Bailey Williams, Tom Liberatore, Harvey Gallagher
HF: Lachie McNeil, Rory Lobb, Cody Weightman
F: Rhylee West, Aaron Naughton, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar
INT: Taylor Duryea, Laitham Vandermeer, James Harmes, Ryley Sanders, Caleb Daniel, Luke Cleary, Sam Darcy, Oskar Baker

EMG: Caleb Poulter, Anthony Scott, Charlie Clarke, Arty Jones

GVGjr
01-03-2024, 06:48 PM
Good to Gallagher on a wing and Bramble in a BP. Khamis gets a chance to show his value being picked at CHB.
Cleary on the bench and I wonder how we will use Darcy and Daniel?

Grantysghost
01-03-2024, 06:49 PM

INT: Taylor Duryea, Laitham Vandermeer, James Harmes, Ryley Sanders, Caleb Daniel, Luke Cleary, Sam Darcy, Oskar Baker

Wonder if that's our Wings for rd 1. Williams and Gallagher? Interesting Poulter didn't make the cut.

Gardner isn't even in the emergencies with JOD injured? Buku as the 2nd tall defender very interesting.

I'm not surprised by the Daniel talk really, if he's not in the backline I don't know if he's got a spot. I'd be swapping him with Bramble.

GVGjr
01-03-2024, 06:49 PM
He could be axed but he’s gone to Tassie in the squad…

Is this just a beat up? I can’t imagine CD not being in the team. We need his level head and clever decision making. Also in the leadership group.

It really depends on how much time he gets to determine where he is in the minds of the selectors.

GVGjr
01-03-2024, 06:54 PM
Wonder if that's our Wings for rd 1. Williams and Gallagher? Interesting Poulter didn't make the cut.

Gardner isn't even in the emergencies with JOD injured? Buku as the 2nd tall defender very interesting.

I'm not surprised by the Daniel talk really, if he's not in the backline I don't know if he's got a spot. I'd be swapping him with Bramble.

Gards hasn't trained this week GG. He won't play tomorrow either.

meenies
01-03-2024, 06:57 PM
Agree with the squad bar Duryea. Would of preferred Charlie in there.
Always seemed to be close between Williams, Baker, and Poulter. Maybe Williams diversity won the spot.

GVGjr
01-03-2024, 07:02 PM
Agree with the squad bar Duryea. Would of preferred Charlie in there.
Always seemed to be close between Williams, Baker, and Poulter. Maybe Williams diversity won the spot.

Probably with some doubts on Dale we had to roll the dice with Duryea and Bramble with Cleary as a back up.

Grantysghost
01-03-2024, 07:18 PM
Gards hasn't trained this week GG. He won't play tomorrow either.
Ah thanks i wondered what was going on..! What's he done?

GVGjr
01-03-2024, 07:22 PM
Ah thanks i wondered what was going on..! What's he done?

I really don't know, he walked laps on Monday with JOD, rode the bike a bit on Wednesday and didn't do much today.

ledge
01-03-2024, 07:26 PM
I know this is nothing to do with this game , but I just heard one of the commentators at the Geelong v bombers game call Shannon Neale “scratcher” that bought back memories but they are nothing alike, the original scratcher he was a short, hard at it ranga , quite the opposite of Shannon.
Anyway back to where we were .

ledge
01-03-2024, 07:28 PM
I really don't know, he walked laps on Monday with JOD, rode the bike a bit on Wednesday and didn't do much today.

A normal pre season for Gards

PR0408
01-03-2024, 07:58 PM

Will all 30 travel over or some left behind for reserves?
Hopefully they all go very keen to see Clarke in the seniors.

GVGjr
01-03-2024, 08:28 PM
Will all 30 travel over or some left behind for reserves?
Hopefully they all go very keen to see Clarke in the seniors.

All 30 have to go.

PR0408
01-03-2024, 08:50 PM
All 30 have to go.

Ok that?s great!!

doggies ftw
01-03-2024, 10:08 PM
All 30 have to go.

Really? Surely we don?t need 4 travelling emgs and a 26 man squad! Would rather they get game time at VFL level

GVGjr
01-03-2024, 10:16 PM
Really? Surely we don?t need 4 travelling emgs and a 26 man squad! Would rather they get game time at VFL level

This from the 2nd post in the thread

Squad of 30 players, eight interchange and four Emergencies. Minimum of four players on the Interchange Bench during the match at any time. No interchange Cap. Full panel of umpires appointed by the AFL.

Not sure if there is any flexibility in that.

GVGjr
01-03-2024, 10:21 PM
Anyone going to the Footscray game tomorrow at midday at the WO?

The light towers were being spruced up today with the mission logo along with some red, white and blue paint.
They were also doing a bit of work on the lawn area behind the goals and the stand was getting the cladding done and might be about 35% completed. It should be all completed by the end of the month inside and out.

kruder
01-03-2024, 10:39 PM
Interesting we are down KPD's and Busslinger can't even crack the emergency list. Only early but he looked a long way off it last year and I'm still seriously concerned with his athletic traits which is surprising for a top 10 pick.

Great to see Gags on a wing, he is one I'm not concerned about will be a player.

bornadog
01-03-2024, 10:39 PM
I'd say O'Donnell won't travel and this might open the door for Khamis.?

Spot on

GVGjr
01-03-2024, 10:48 PM
Interesting we are down KPD's and Busslinger can't even crack the emergency list. Only early but he looked a long way off it last year and I'm still seriously concerned with his athletic traits which is surprising for a top 10 pick.

Great to see Gags on a wing, he is one I'm not concerned about will be a player.

So I suppose the question is if playing a full game at Footscray is better than say half a game in Tas?
I thought we might roll the dice and bank a good news story but so far we are pretty much going with the best performed players.

GVGjr
01-03-2024, 11:14 PM
Spot on

I wonder if he gets a highly supervised run against the Hawks in the VFL?

jeemak
01-03-2024, 11:14 PM
Remember when Bevo didn?t pick Caleb for Round 1 that year we got destroyed by GWS so he could pick Gowers and Honeychurch instead?

Doesn?t strictly apply here but wow that sucked.

Callum Daniels isn't tall enough to play football.

bornadog
01-03-2024, 11:41 PM
I wonder if he gets a highly supervised run against the Hawks in the VFL?
He will need it.

jeemak
02-03-2024, 12:58 AM
Interested in seeing how Khamis goes tomorrow. Not sure I trust him to put in the huge minutes usually required from our key defenders.

If he can't it may open up the door for Darcy to get some time at CHB which is where I had him in my round one side. Something about Lade saying "who knows where he'll end up" after last week's game makes me think it's a possibility.

What Lade said:

“Darce has been training as a ruck the whole pre-season. He can obviously play forward too, but we’re just excited that he’s gotten through a full pre-season. Who knows where he will end up.”

With all of Lobb, Naughton and JUH playing forward, and English named as ruck I struggle to see how Darcy gets decent game time playing through that forward/ ruck rotation.

FrediKanoute
02-03-2024, 02:13 AM

I am concerned. Smells a lot like Dad.....

Bulldog Joe
02-03-2024, 09:47 AM
I know this is nothing to do with this game , but I just heard one of the commentators at the Geelong v bombers game call Shannon Neale ?scratcher? that bought back memories but they are nothing alike, the original scratcher he was a short, hard at it ranga , quite the opposite of Shannon.
Anyway back to where we were .

An affront to all the Tasmanian Spud Farmers.

Robert "Scratcher" Neal was from Wynyard and his family were a long line of spud farmers.

His Cousin John "Scratcher" Neal was part of the 1967 Tasmanian Goal Post State Final at Burnie's West Park.

As a further distraction John was a rover forward pocket seen by some locals as the model for what Kevin Bartlett became at Richmond.

When Kevin Bartlett once acknowledged that he made the mistake of handballing near goal, it was said that John "Scratcher" Neal never made such a mistake.

mjp
02-03-2024, 10:04 AM
An affront to all the Tasmanian Spud Farmers.

Robert "Scratcher" Neal was from Wynyard and his family were a long line of spud farmers.

His Cousin John "Scratcher" Neal was part of the 1967 Tasmanian Goal Post State Final at Burnie's West Park.

As a further distraction John was a rover forward pocket seen by some locals as the model for what Kevin Bartlett became at Richmond.

When Kevin Bartlett once acknowledged that he made the mistake of handballing near goal, it was said that John "Scratcher" Neal never made such a mistake.

Umm - Shannon Neale grew up two streets around from me.

Lovely family. NOT a farmer.

doggies ftw
02-03-2024, 10:25 AM
This from the 2nd post in the thread

Squad of 30 players, eight interchange and four Emergencies. Minimum of four players on the Interchange Bench during the match at any time. No interchange Cap. Full panel of umpires appointed by the AFL.

Not sure if there is any flexibility in that.

Thanks, so if it?s minimum of 4 on the bench, ie you don?t need more than that hopefully it means we don?t take any emgs and if you lose one pregame you just go to ie 7 on the bench. Anyway doesn?t matter just would like those guys to get VFL game time.

Can?t make it down today unfortunately but keen to hear any reports if anyone makes the trek!!

Bulldog Joe
02-03-2024, 10:37 AM
Umm - Shannon Neale grew up two streets around from me.

Lovely family. NOT a farmer.

Which just shows he should not usurp the "Scratcher" nickname.

ledge
02-03-2024, 10:57 AM
Which just shows he should not usurp the "Scratcher" nickname.

Watching the old Geelong version of “scratcher” I always thought it was because he wasn’t a gifted footballer but scratched his way to making it.

Bulldog Joe
02-03-2024, 11:56 AM
Watching the old Geelong version of “scratcher” I always thought it was because he wasn’t a gifted footballer but scratched his way to making it.

Robert Neal was always a talent. Played senior NWFU (local league that also produced Baldock) from about 15.

Scratcher was always the family nickname.

ledge
02-03-2024, 12:01 PM
Robert Neal was always a talent. Played senior NWFU (local league that also produced Baldock) from about 15.

Scratcher was always the family nickname.

Don’t get me wrong I always thought he was a good player .
More a hard working player than a naturally gifted.
We have those players that seem to do it so easy like the Abletts then you have the players like Schmmelbusch who did everything to make it.
He always came across as a Schimmelbusch type.

Grantysghost
02-03-2024, 07:10 PM
Bevo before game:

Sanders most ready draftee hes seen at dogs
Some names we are used to might miss
Darcy needs to strengthen.

Grantysghost
02-03-2024, 07:13 PM
Cam McKenzie : suffer Aints

Vandermeer urgh

Mofra
Gaggs on a wing. Interesting to see

G-Mo77
Wasn't Darcy named in the starting 22?

Testekill
02-03-2024, 07:15 PM
Bevo before game:

Sanders most ready draftee hes seen at dogs
Some names we are used to might miss
Darcy needs to strengthen.

This is genuinely Darcy's first full preseason so not shocked that we are preferring Lobb as the third tall, Darcy is only going to get better from playing full games in the VFL as the main man.

Mofra
02-03-2024, 07:16 PM
Marra looks very very different this year. In a good way

chef
02-03-2024, 07:16 PM
Marra looks very very different this year. In a good way

Hes going to have a huge year.

Mofra
02-03-2024, 07:18 PM
Handball club is dead. We are moving it far more direct.

Grantysghost
02-03-2024, 07:18 PM
McNeil's goal

Testekill
02-03-2024, 07:19 PM
Handball club is dead. We are moving it far more direct.

Thank god, opponents were so happy to sit off of us and let us do circlework with handballs.

jazzadogs
02-03-2024, 07:23 PM
Are the umpires whistles echoing or is it an issue with my stream?

Testekill
02-03-2024, 07:23 PM
Harmes putting on a good bit of pressure out there.

Grantysghost
02-03-2024, 07:26 PM
Going super quick and direct

Mofra
02-03-2024, 07:31 PM
Coffield is such a good pick up for us. Had some really good one on one wins already

Grantysghost
02-03-2024, 07:31 PM
Is LVDM in the backline

Testekill
02-03-2024, 07:32 PM
Need to work on our efficiency inside 50 but you can really tell the changes to our gameplan by how we're not time wasting.

jazzadogs
02-03-2024, 07:33 PM
Good to see the commentators still refuse to call it when a horrible free kick gets paid

The Bulldogs Bite
Coffield and Harmes look like being very good pickups

Still concerned about our ability to convert and how we then cough up score, but we do look sharp early

bornadog
Missing some easy goals

Testekill
02-03-2024, 07:34 PM
Good to see the commentators still refuse to call it when a horrible free kick gets paid

The free kick was there but we'd have heard everyone whinging about it if a Bulldog put as much mayo on it as Lewis did.

jazzadogs
02-03-2024, 07:36 PM
Missing some easy goals

#DawgsFooty

ratsmac
How bad is our goal kicking right now. Cmon boys.

G-Mo77
I hope Brad Johnson is watching this goal kicking closely. The way they held the ball on those set shots was awful. I knew both were going to miss just by looking at the way it was held.

Grantysghost
02-03-2024, 07:37 PM
Naughton kicks for goal like a defender.

bornadog
If Buku wants a game in the firsts, you do/t defend like that with a shit pass

angelopetraglia
Some good signs in ground set up and game plan, but a very similar result.

Dominating play, equal goals.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-03-2024, 07:38 PM
Just undoes all your good play if you can't convert. It's a big issue for us.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-03-2024, 07:38 PM
Khamis looking good

G-Mo77
02-03-2024, 07:39 PM
If Buku wants a game in the firsts, you do/t defend like that with a shit pass

Done everything right up until that point.

Grantysghost
02-03-2024, 07:42 PM
Pressure has been very very good.

Conversion poor but expect that early.

I think Lobb has been lively.

G-Mo77
02-03-2024, 07:43 PM
Happy with that. If you just don't look at the scores and goal kicking everything looks good. Tackling and pressure looks quite good, dropped off a little but it's there and it looks to have improved. Defence all over the ground is solid which is making out back 6's jobs a lot easier. They're good signs. The goal kicking is an issue and we've got to fix it. It's deflating that all that work is not getting on the scoreboard.

ledge
Sanders , JUH and Lobb been impressive

The Bulldogs Bite
Not too worried about the skill error by Khamis, that's what he typically does well. Impressed by his positioning and competitiveness so far after a good outing last week too.

ledge
02-03-2024, 07:44 PM
And Jones has been pretty awesome

JanLorMill
02-03-2024, 07:44 PM
To me Trealor looks disinterested. Coffield jones and khamis look good but the hawks tall forward probably iffy. Kicking for goal is poor.

chef
02-03-2024, 07:48 PM
Mcneil needs to nail those.

JanLorMill
02-03-2024, 07:49 PM
McNeil thats the worst miss so far

GVGjr
02-03-2024, 07:50 PM
That's the biggest knock on him. Just misses too many easy goals.

Grantysghost
02-03-2024, 07:51 PM
Is Weightman playing?

bulldogsthru&thru
We do seem to lack some killer instinct. But it is a practice match.

Grantysghost
It was a goal for 90 percent of the way.

Testekill
02-03-2024, 07:52 PM
Duryea is looking old out there.

Grantysghost
02-03-2024, 07:52 PM
Urgh Libba! He usually nails those.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-03-2024, 07:53 PM
Is Weightman playing?

Yep. He is

GVGjr
Weightman further up the ground than normal

bulldogsthru&thru
Khamis has absolutely owned Chol up until this point.

Testekill
02-03-2024, 07:54 PM
Khamis has absolutely owned Chol up until this point.

Really shows that a player like Chol really only needs a player that can stop him getting a free run up, Khamis is giving up a significant amount of height to him.

Grantysghost
02-03-2024, 07:55 PM
Looks like Libba forward and Weightman in the guts.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-03-2024, 07:55 PM
Very swirly out there apparently

The Underdog
02-03-2024, 07:56 PM
That's the biggest knock on him. Just misses too many easy goals.

That was a goal at Marvel.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-03-2024, 07:57 PM
That was a goal at Marvel.

There's a wind blowing left to right and it screwed him. That last shot he tried to adjust and the wind wasn't there.

bulldogtragic
McNeil…

4 shots to 12.

FMD

jeemak
I'm sick of this bullshit already. A complete arsehole goal kicking effort.

Topdog
02-03-2024, 07:58 PM
Where can we watch the game? (Please dont say only Kayo)

Grantysghost
Lets get this shit kicking out of the way now :cool:

jeemak
How we can be down in this game is ****ing amazing. Unbelievable.

GVGjr
I hope the commentators take Brad Johnson to task. We have missed way too many

bulldogtragic
5 to 12 and we are behind!

The Bulldogs Bite
02-03-2024, 07:59 PM
It's not good enough.

2.10 is pathetic, preseason or not

bulldogsthru&thru
The space in the opposing 50 is still a worry.

Grantysghost
Gee our defence X(

ratsmac
Typical dogs game atm. We have 12 goes at it for 2 goals. Hawks 5 shots for 4 goals.

JanLorMill
Has anything changed?

The Bulldogs Bite
Those two efforts on goal are exactly why I don't want McNeil anywhere near the 22.

Mofra
02-03-2024, 08:00 PM
There's a wind blowing left to right and it screwed him. That last shot he tried to adjust and the wind wasn't there.
Ditto Bont. The wind is inconsistent. We still haven't adjusted by keeping the ball a little lower though

jeemak
I hope the commentators take Brad Johnson to task. We have missed way too many

I would love the players to be held accountable, rather than a part time goal kicking coach.

ledge
Typical dogs game atm. We have 12 goes at it for 2 goals. Hawks 5 shots for 4 goals.

Same old same old against the hawks in Tassie

lemmon
02-03-2024, 08:01 PM
From the ground - Weightman is spending a lot of time on-ball this quarter. Feels like they want to get the ball in his hands. Sanders is very much playing the Bazz role as the high half-forward that pushes up to the contest. I don't think there's a huge change in how we go inside 50 this year, it's very much 'get it in long and let the big men fly'.

Grantysghost
Those two efforts on goal are exactly why I don't want McNeil anywhere near the 22.
Maaaate. Everyone has missed you pick out one guy.

jazzadogs
McNeil thats the worst miss so far

Thought it was actually a really nice set shot by his standards. Drifted really late with the wind.

hujsh
Has anything changed?

McNeil is getting more shots at goal.

The Underdog
Good to see the game day thread in mid season form already.

bulldogtragic
02-03-2024, 08:02 PM
So 2023 all over again?

The Bulldogs Bite
02-03-2024, 08:02 PM
The difference being this is what McNeil does every time. Wastes the few opportunities he gets GG

Shouldn't be on a list.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-03-2024, 08:03 PM
Good to see the game day thread in mid season form already.

Yeah I don't care today. But I get the frustration given what we're seeing is the same problems rearing their ugly head.

Topdog
02-03-2024, 08:04 PM
Lots of blaming the wind but 1 team is 5 goals 2 and the other is 2 goals 10. Are they playing at different grounds?

LostDog
Yep another long year

lemmon
The difference being this is what McNeil does every time. Wastes the few opportunities he gets GG

Shouldn't be on a list.

I reckon he's been our best small forward on the day, to be fair

JanLorMill
Chol beating English in ruck contests

ledge
02-03-2024, 08:05 PM
And they open us up so easily on the rebound . 2023 in repeat

Grantysghost

Shouldn't be on a list.
He nearly wasnt :cool:

Fair enough i think a bit harsh.

bulldogsthru&thru
Lots of blaming the wind but 1 team is 5 goals 2 and the other is 2 goals 10. Are they playing at different grounds?

No excuses. But we have to accept the fact our players just suck at goal kicking.

lemmon
That was all class from Marra. Not sure how he even spotted Bailey Williams there

hujsh
Chol beating English in ruck contests

What % of his hit outs are to advantage though?

bulldogtragic
02-03-2024, 08:06 PM
Williams now?

jeemak
Why should we pay to watch these pricks again? This genuinely turns me off the game.

chef
2 11. Seems not much has changed.

bulldogsthru&thru
Oh God Williams that one is unacceptable.

hujsh
Can't really blame that Williams miss on the wind can we?

bulldogtragic
02-03-2024, 08:07 PM
How long did Bevo take to apologise and bring in a new game plan last year, two weeks. Maybe start now.

The Bulldogs Bite
Hawthorn are towelling us up on the run.

It's the exact same as it has been the last few years with our inability to defend on spread.

JanLorMill
Our forward line? Is it personal, system or execution?

bulldogsthru&thru
What Ginnivan is doing to us is concerning. Our defence is vulnerable to lethal forwards.

Grantysghost
Watson seems like a little douche bag.

Postives : coffield isnt injured.

LostDog
02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Nothings changed, don't care if it's a community series.

Topdog
No excuses. But we have to accept the fact our players just suck at goal kicking.

You may accept it, I certainly do not.

ratsmac
The best way to stop the Hawks run of goals right now is to just kick straight

bulldogsthru&thru

It's the exact same as it has been the last few years with our inability to defend on spread.

Yeah this right here is the biggest worry.

hujsh
Hey Khamis nice grab. And if Vanders can do that more often then welcome to the best 22

Grantysghost
02-03-2024, 08:09 PM
Vanders has good intent.

ledge
We need to approach the AFL about points being worth 3

LostDog
Kellie Underwoods commentating is making this so much worse,

Topdog
The best way to stop the Hawks run of goals right now is to just kick straight

we are only 10 scoring shots behind

hujsh
02-03-2024, 08:10 PM
Kellie Underwoods commentating is making this so much worse,

As opposed to all those other great commentators we have?

lemmon
02-03-2024, 08:11 PM

Spot on. We press right up to our forward 50, they'll get it through the back of the zone and it's off to the races.

The wind is also pretty minimal at ground level to be honest. It's not Marvel, but it's not much more than a breeze

Mofra
Lazy kick by Bont

bulldogsthru&thru
No doubt we're struggling to respond to the hawks effort. We seem a bit rattled and have lost our structure.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-03-2024, 08:12 PM
As opposed to all those other great commentators we have?

It's easier to target the female ones.

JanLorMill
02-03-2024, 08:12 PM
What % of his hit outs are to advantage though?
The one I saw was in our forwards then a chain to them for shot

ledge
02-03-2024, 08:13 PM
No doubt we're struggling to respond to the hawks effort. We seem a bit rattled and have lost our structure.

We have a structure ?

LostDog
02-03-2024, 08:14 PM
Nope she's crap, straight up

bulldogsthru&thru
We have a structure ?

We did. We started well. This 2nd quarter has been diabolical.

ledge
Our structure is go forward then let the hawks run out and kick goals.

G-Mo77
This is so disappointing. We've dropped off everywhere. Looks like same old Dogs to me.

Johnno under pressure already? Lol

bulldogtragic
What is VDM doing on a list?

jeemak
This is so sickening. They still haven't had as many scoring shots as us and are up by 17 points.

bulldogsthru&thru
Nope she's crap, straight up

The point was they're all crap.

The Bulldogs Bite
This is everything I didn't want to see. Everything.

LostDog
02-03-2024, 08:15 PM
It's easier to target the female ones.

Need a flag mate want to start marching

bulldogtragic
Gold Coast thinking about our first rounder right now.

GVGjr
That was all class from Marra. Not sure how he even spotted Bailey Williams there

Great instincts

jeemak
02-03-2024, 08:16 PM
What a load of shit.

bulldogtragic
What a load of shit.

Like nothing has changed…

bulldogsthru&thru
Oof we're still frustrating to watch.

JanLorMill
That last trealor shot summed up that quarter. Horrible

Grantysghost
That's ****ing abhorrent

Bloody Skinner reserve

jazzadogs
That last kick from Treloar summarised the quarter.

angelopetraglia
Deja vu

Topdog
02-03-2024, 08:17 PM
oh boy im glad im not watching

Testekill
3 goals down but that is an insurmountable lead with how badly we're doing in the forward 50.

bulldogsthru&thru
Not pretty at all. Like nothing has changed.

Mofra
The mental demons are still there.

Going to need to adjust significantly for the second half.

bornadog
That's ****ing abhorrent

Bloody Skinner reserve

GG back :D

chef
02-03-2024, 08:18 PM
We dont look very fit.

jazzadogs
02-03-2024, 08:18 PM
At least we're lowering our expectations before round one. It will make the dees spanking us hurt less.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-03-2024, 08:19 PM
I'd hate to see this joint if it was round 1.

bornadog
Did we practise a new gameplan from when we reach the F50? We move the ball quickly from the backline, but when we get close to 50, we do the same old thing and just bang it high in the air, expecting the big blokes to mark it

bornadog
We dont look very fit.

Practice matches, always look like that to me.

Bullies
What is VDM doing on a list? He is as bad as ever. He is undisciplined and basically has no idea. I have no idea as to how he gets a game.

josie
Deja vu

Let?s see what adjustments are made after half time. Johnno must be wondering if his coaching is making much difference. Marra has only missed by a smidge so hopefully longer term it makes us more accurate.

The Bulldogs Bite
Well it's exactly everything that we hate about this team.

Unacceptable missed goals, which sparks the opposition who start converting, which ignites dropped heads and decreased effort, translating into opposition walking the ball from their D50 to F50. We suddenly look slow, outnumbered, disorganised, and then to make it worse whenever we win the ball we start giving it straight back with poor ball use.

It's preseason but FFS that's horrifically bad.

angelopetraglia
02-03-2024, 08:20 PM
Dominante inside 50s, shots and general play. Miss multiple easy shots. Start to make the easy look difficult. The opposition get a sniff, they lift and kick goals from the boundary to rub our noses in it for missing sitters.

Our confidence drops. Opposition start to run harder and spread. Now we are on the back foot trying to get back into the game.

Where have we seen this before?

angelopetraglia
02-03-2024, 08:21 PM
Mitchel. ?We should have been well behind at quarter time, they didn?t take their chances?

As he smiles, knowing it?s our DNA.

ledge
Well I do not see any change from last year at all.
I will say JUH is the only one presenting up forward but he has 4 blokes on him why aren’t we kicking to the other forwards if this is the case ?
I’m disgusted in how easy they run out so easily.
This is the same as it’s always been in Tassie .
We do all the hard work then they run off to easy open goals.

The Underdog
I'd hate to see this joint if it was round 1.

Only 15 days to wait.

ratsmac
02-03-2024, 08:22 PM
How do you microwave a digital membership?

Nah I'd never do that but gee we can look good and bad both at the same time. This is a very 2023 type Bulldogs game so far. Thank goodness it's only a practice match

Scorlibo
02-03-2024, 08:22 PM
Feels almost blasphemous to say but I've been pretty unimpressed with the Bont! Lots of fumbles, falling over, has had about five looks at the goals for two behinds.

Jamarra has been brilliant, have liked Khamis' game so far and I like that McNeil has been getting involved.

First quarter setup behind the ball proved effective, hope we can get back to denying them exits from our forward half. Some better kicking at goal might help to provide motivation!

bulldogtragic
02-03-2024, 08:23 PM
He is as bad as ever. He is undisciplined and basically has no idea. I have no idea as to how he gets a game.

Two seasons ahead of us. He?s a bloody liability.

Bullies
02-03-2024, 08:23 PM
We still get opened up when sides run forward in numbers. We have no idea how to fill the gaps. We don't man up and look very slow.

jazzadogs
02-03-2024, 08:24 PM
We dont look very fit.

Like we're running in mud.

MrMahatma
We’ll be the best prepared round 1 team in years.
Not the best prepare preseason match team in years.

It’s fine.

It’s all fine.

Stop the match now. No injuries. Move on.

Mavericks
Mitchell is a very good coach in the box. He made adjustments for the 2nd quarter, moved the ball quickly and reep the benefits.

does anyone know who is in the box and who is on the ground. Was hoping Bevo was going to be a Hinkley this year and let someone else in the box.

Hopefully we make adjustment and get back on top. Yes we dominated the first and kicked poorly but they easily won the quarter.

That second quarter was a big red flag.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-03-2024, 08:25 PM
We’ll be the best prepared round 1 team in years.
Not the best prepare preseason match team in years.

It’s fine.

It’s all fine.

Stop the match now. No injuries. Move on.

They could be haunting comments if Melbourne touch us up again.

Rocket Science
02-03-2024, 08:25 PM
Same as it ever was ...

https://i.ibb.co/9H02wRs/Screen-Shot-2024-03-02-at-7-23-57-pm.png (https://ibb.co/Swg0QqR)

Mofra
02-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Feels almost blasphemous to say but I've been pretty unimpressed with the Bont! Lots of fumbles, falling over, has had about five looks at the goals for two behinds.

Jamarra has been brilliant, have liked Khamis' game so far and I like that McNeil has been getting involved.

First quarter setup behind the ball proved effective, hope we can get back to denying them exits from our forward half. Some better kicking at goal might help to provide motivation!
I agree - Bont had some poor kicks that quarter.
Libba gives his all.
English drops his head when beaten.
McNeill and West give it all
Buku has done well, ditto Coffield.

I want us to rotate through the centre harder. Let more players take CBAs.

Grantysghost
02-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Same as it ever was ...

https://i.ibb.co/9H02wRs/Screen-Shot-2024-03-02-at-7-23-57-pm.png (https://ibb.co/Swg0QqR)
Ahahahaaaa

Grantysghost
02-03-2024, 08:27 PM
Like we're running in mud.
I think we are a slow side in general and the game has has gone quick with stand etc.

Testekill
02-03-2024, 08:30 PM
Bont and English have been pretty poor today, English very timid and Bont very fumbly.

Lobb hasn't offered very much, Naughton has two guys on him at all times when we kick it to him. Jamarra is the only forward that looks dangerous but finishing is poor.

Harmes has looked good as has Coffield. Richards and Jones are holding down defence as per usual and Khamis has won his matchup against Chol. West is showing effort but it's not working out for him today.

Vandermeer has shown intent but has been bad. Bramble unsighted, Gallagher not done much. McNeil has been getting into good positions but can't finish it although the shot from 40 out looked like a certain goal until the wind caught it. Weightman not done much either, Treloar looks a little rusty but he's not getting the chance to run.

Would replace Duryea with Cleary and bring on Daniel for VDM probably.

angelopetraglia
02-03-2024, 08:30 PM
I think we are a slow side in general and the game has has gone quick with stand etc.

Yes. That?s why we persist with Vanda.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-03-2024, 08:31 PM
With respect to Doc who I've been a fan of, in no way should he be in consideration for round one and I'm a little annoyed we didn't back Cleary in today in front of him.

G-Mo77
02-03-2024, 08:34 PM
We already know this but when you look at a guy like Ginivan in front of goal he nails them, might have a small amount of touches but is damaging. No shot on McNeil as I think he's been quite good in the preseason but we're just throwing him there hoping he can do something similar. It's been a problem for as long as I want to remember and will continue that way.

Testekill
02-03-2024, 08:35 PM
With respect to Doc who I've been a fan of, in no way should he be in consideration for round one and I'm a little annoyed we didn't back Cleary in today in front of him.

Yeah Doc has been a great servant at the club but last year it was pretty clear that he had gone on a year too long and he's looking older today. We really should have had Cleary start and then bring Duryea on later if there was an injury or Cleary wasn't playing well.

DOG GOD
02-03-2024, 08:35 PM
I?ve watched the first half and turned it off. Gunna be a LONG year.

Mofra
02-03-2024, 08:36 PM
We already know this but when you look at a guy like Ginivan in front of goal he nails them, might have a small amount of touches but is damaging. No shot on McNeil as I think he's been quite good in the preseason but we're just throwing him there hoping he can do something similar. It's been a problem for as long as I want to remember and will continue that way.
Even Ginnivan went 1.2 from set shots that quarter

G-Mo77
02-03-2024, 08:38 PM
Even Ginnivan went 1.2 from set shots that quarter

Has as many goals as our entire club.

Grantysghost
02-03-2024, 08:40 PM
Cant miss from the goal square!

lemmon
02-03-2024, 08:41 PM
Gallagher having a few nice moments to start this term. Great 1 on 1 wing on the wing

Twodogs
02-03-2024, 08:42 PM
Does anyone know why we played Hawthorn twice in the preseason?

Grantysghost
02-03-2024, 08:43 PM
Does anyone know why we played Hawthorn twice in the preseason?
Apparently everyone else was taken.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-03-2024, 08:43 PM
As bad as Marras shot was then, McNeil was in a better position as a right footer and gave it away. Dumb

JanLorMill
02-03-2024, 08:44 PM
Khamis is ok but not the type of player our backline needs

Mofra
02-03-2024, 08:47 PM
English having a mare.
Richards working into the game nicely.

lemmon
02-03-2024, 08:48 PM
That hit from Caleb to Libba is something we've been missing all night. Opened up the ground

Mofra
02-03-2024, 08:48 PM
Marra 3 goals 2 behinds (and one miss), although one behind was a long shot that only just missed.
Play the kid deep! He's our only goal threat.

G-Mo77
02-03-2024, 08:49 PM
That was Caleb Daniel's goal right there.

bornadog
02-03-2024, 08:51 PM
I really am not worried about the scoreboard, but rather the gameplan and how we execute it.

Grantysghost
02-03-2024, 08:51 PM
McNeil bog.

bulldogtragic
02-03-2024, 08:52 PM
That was quick.

bornadog
02-03-2024, 08:52 PM
The attack for the West goal, is what we want to see. Move the ball quickly and not have a congested forward 50 like in the past.

Grantysghost
02-03-2024, 08:53 PM
That's the go run from defence! Nice from Bramble.

Mofra
The small doubt about West being in the Round 1 team has just been put to bed. Well done Rhylee

G-Mo77
What was the free to Williams for?

Testekill
The attack for the West goal, is what we want to see. Move the ball quickly and not have a congested forward 50 like in the past.

Also have the small forwards not getting sucked into the contest.