PDA

View Full Version : WOOF Selectors Table - R1 2024

Pages : [1] 2

GVGjr
02-03-2024, 11:53 PM
For those who used to attend the famous Selectors Table that used to be hosted at the club I thought it might be interesting to get some solid discussions on who might come under consideration for the round one side.

The candidates to come in from my perspective would be

Bailey Dale - An AA caliber defender and a walk up start if fit
James O'Donnell - A tall mobile defender who could be a terrific partner for Liam Jones
Sam Darcy - Tall, mobile and in form. Can we squeeze him into our R1 side and how would we best utilise his talents?
Jack Macrae - Has to at least be considered for R1

Then if needed:

Caleb Poulter - Tall winger, has performed well but has slipped back a bit in the picking order
Oskar Baker - High energy winger, might be close to a best 23 spot
Anthony Scott - The Mr Consistent spare parts player
Ryan Gardner - Key defender

Who's in the firing line?

Harvey Gallagher - Didn't quite grasp his chance
Lachlan Bramble - Has a lot of doubters
Laitham Vandermeer - Has some elite traits but struggles with consistency
Taylor Duryea - Has some competition for a spot in the back line now

So lets hear your thoughts and please add reasons for your selections?

Go_Dogs
03-03-2024, 08:56 AM
Would be a great discussion and an evolving one over the next 12 days or so I imagine. A fortnight left to make sure we have picked our most prepared round one side of the last 10 years.

I've got no idea how we'll land the side. A lot of players have picked themselves, in fact too many, so there are probably 5 or 6 spots that could go a range of ways. A couple of thoughts:

1. Sounds like we'll value players who completed most of the pre-season without material interruption. To me that puts Macrae out of frame for Round one. I suspect he'll need a couple of weeks at VFL level.

2. On the same note, JOD has by all accounts has had a consistent pre-season and he'll be in the mix firmly. I have Coffield and Khamis in the 23 based on yesterday too. Hmmm. It's a tough one - there's probably 2 spots for the three of them.

3. Gags didn't quite do enough to lock down a wing role for mine. Baker/Poulter must be strong considerations. Again, tough call. Sounds like all three have done the work and are deserving. Just depends who we think gives us the most. Maybe Baker v his old mob.

4. Darcy v Lobb. Hmmm. Lobb has probably got the spot to lose. Although he was quiet on the stats sheet, he did some good things with his body work (it appeared) and the other keys got the spoils today.

5. Daniel surely plays? His versatility has become a challenge as he?s now not first choice in any one position, but if we can get the ball in his hands it helps us greatly. Could he be squeezed out by Dale coming back in? Maybe it's Daniel v Bramble v Gags. Hmmm.

ledge
03-03-2024, 09:45 AM
I would be surprised if McNeill gets in ahead of Scott.

GVGjr
03-03-2024, 10:04 AM
Would be a great discussion and an evolving one over the next 12 days or so I imagine. A fortnight left to make sure we have picked our most prepared round one side of the last 10 years.

I've got no idea how we'll land the side. A lot of players have picked themselves, in fact too many, so there are probably 5 or 6 spots that could go a range of ways. A couple of thoughts:

1. Sounds like we'll value players who completed most of the pre-season without material interruption. To me that puts Macrae out of frame for Round one. I suspect he'll need a couple of weeks at VFL level.

2. On the same note, JOD has by all accounts has had a consistent pre-season and he'll be in the mix firmly. I have Coffield and Khamis in the 23 based on yesterday too. Hmmm. It's a tough one - there's probably 2 spots for the three of them.

3. Gags didn't quite do enough to lock down a wing role for mine. Baker/Poulter must be strong considerations. Again, tough call. Sounds like all three have done the work and are deserving. Just depends who we think gives us the most. Maybe Baker v his old mob.

4. Darcy v Lobb. Hmmm. Lobb has probably got the spot to lose. Although he was quiet on the stats sheet, he did some good things with his body work (it appeared) and the other keys got the spoils today.

5. Daniel surely plays? His versatility has become a challenge as he?s now not first choice in any one position, but if we can get the ball in his hands it helps us greatly. Could he be squeezed out by Dale coming back in? Maybe it's Daniel v Bramble v Gags. Hmmm.

1 - Macrae was a solid performer yesterday and got plenty of the football but when you compare him to how Sanders performed it's difficult to find a spot for him.

2 - Outside of the injury the previous week's injury I think O'Donnell was as good as a lock for R1 but credit to Khamis for putting in two solid, almost bordering on impressive, performances to now at the very least challenge JOD for a spot.

3 - I agree that Gallagher didn't grasp his chance but we've often been prepared to ride out a quiet period with an emerging player.
It's hard to see how he gets picked but it really wouldn't surprise. Poulter and/or Baker are probably more likely selections.

4 - Despite a couple of very impressive performances by Darcy I don't think he's ahead of Lobb and particularly for a R1 spot and potentially being pitted against Max Gawn in some ruck contests. The only caveat might be if we decide to use as a back-up for the defenders and play him off the bench.

5 - I can't imagine that Daniel won't make the best 23 and he's still a quality player.

AshMac
03-03-2024, 10:40 AM
Really positive signs last night for some emerging players. Agree Khamis has done everything possible to get a spot and Gallagher has some elite traits but just doesn?t put them on display enough.

My thoughts on selection for R1 are:

- Sanders, Harmes, Coffield are all a lock from the off season acquisitions
- nothing has changed w Lobb - I'd prefer we invest in a developing Darcy than reward a player who will not compete physically
- Bramble, Baker and Gallagher all have similar strengths and weaknesses, can't see the 3 of them in the one side. I think I'd most like to see some time out into Gallagher as I think he has the highest ceiling
- didn't watch any VFL but surely JOD, Macrae and Dale are walk up starts if fit
- backline will pose some very interesting selection challenges for reasons outlined above

jazzadogs
03-03-2024, 10:42 AM
1 - Macrae was a solid performer yesterday and got plenty of the football but when you compare him to how Sanders performed it's difficult to find a spot for him.

2 - Outside of the injury the previous week's injury I think O'Donnell was as good as a lock for R1 but credit to Khamis for putting in two solid, almost bordering on impressive, performances to now at the very least challenge JOD for a spot.

3 - I agree that Gallagher didn't grasp his chance but we've often been prepared to ride out a quiet period with an emerging player.
It's hard to see how he gets picked but it really wouldn't surprise. Poulter and/or Baker are probably more likely selections.

4 - Despite a couple of very impressive performances by Darcy I don't think he's ahead of Lobb and particularly for a R1 spot and potentially being pitted against Max Gawn in some ruck contests. The only caveat might be if we decide to use as a back-up for the defenders and play him off the bench.

5 - I can't imagine that Daniel won't make the best 23 and he's still a quality player.

He was subbed on for VDM yesterday, and I can very much see him being used as the sub again in round one. I don't agree with it - but I think it will happen.

jazzadogs
03-03-2024, 10:48 AM
- didn?t watch any VFL but surely JOD, Macrae and Dale are walk up starts if fit

Define 'fit' in the context of our most prepared side in Bevo's time at the club.

I think Macrae is no chance. JOD and Dale depend on how much their absence today was caution, vs them being unable to play.

Buku was excellent. Jones on van Rooyen, Buku on Schache. Do they have other key forwards?

I'd obviously prefer Dale to Bramble, given his quality, but it depends on whether it was hamstring tightness or hamstring injury.

ledge
03-03-2024, 10:52 AM
Define 'fit' in the context of our most prepared side in Bevo's time at the club.

I think Macrae is no chance. JOD and Dale depend on how much their absence today was caution, vs them being unable to play.

Buku was excellent. Jones on van Rooyen, Buku on Schache. Do they have other key forwards?

I'd obviously prefer Dale to Bramble, given his quality, but it depends on whether it was hamstring tightness or hamstring injury.

Fritch kills us and you forgot ?

jazzadogs
03-03-2024, 10:54 AM
Fritch kills us and you forgot ?

I don't see him as a key forward (certainly not an option for JOD), but I do see him as a major problem.

meenies
03-03-2024, 11:04 AM
I want Bevo to be true to his word that the starting team to be the fittest team we have played. So those in the recent rehab group need to show on VFL that they are ready. So no Macrae, JOD, Dale, Gardner, Keith yet.
It also appeared that we want more speed rather than utility. Therefore the selection between VDM and Daniel. Based on yesterday almost a nil all draw.
I am still not sure of Williams starting. For such a senior player he seemed to go missing a lot yesterday. My sub choice.
For round 1 Lobb before Darcy but if quite Darcy for round. 2.
Duryea did well.

Grantysghost
03-03-2024, 11:49 AM
Ok

Here i go

B : Bramble, Jones, Coffield
HB : JJ, JOD, Richards
W : Baker, Treloar, Williams
HF: Sanders, Lobb, McNeil
F: Marra, Naughton, Weightman
Foll : English, Bont, Libba
Bench : Harmes, Daniel, West, LVDM
Sub : Gallagher.

Bulldog4life
03-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Ok

Here i go

If Dale is declared fit GG would you still leave him out?

Grantysghost
03-03-2024, 12:04 PM
If Dale is declared fit GG would you still leave him out?

I wouldnt be playing him until hes really been tested.
Do we have a vfl practise match in rd 0?

Bulldog4life
03-03-2024, 12:11 PM
I wouldnt be playing him until hes really been tested.
Do we have a vfl practise match in rd 0?

Not sure.

Scorlibo
03-03-2024, 12:57 PM
I think there are some genuinely tough selections calls here as well as some relatively easy ones.

In the tough category is the tall defender mix. To my mind, we got away with playing on the smaller side against the Hawks but it won't work against opposition sides with genuinely tall and threatening forwards. Khamis and Coffield probably can't play in the same side for that reason. Coffield I find unconvincing with his decision making and kicking under pressure, yet his one on one aerial work has been really good. Khamis has form and is probably better able to play tall given his leap, so he gets my vote, but would depend on matchups week to week. As for who comes in as the genuine second tall, O'Donnell seems to be the guy, but I'm depending a lot on the pre season talk. Last year he wasn't close to being a genuine second tall, and at the end of the season we all had him pegged as a third tall.

Another tough one is Darcy vs Lobb. I admit continued irritation over the Lobb deal, we knew that we had a very talented player coming through to play the same role. Now all we get with Lobb is maybe some marginal gain over Darcy's output in his early years. Nevertheless, if Lobb can replicate some of his output against Geelong last year, he plays. No idea what we do if Darcy kicks bag after bag in the VFL. I really don't want to see them playing in the same side.

In the easy category: Bramble and Gallagher come out. I like Gags but he's not performed well in either of the last two outings. Bramble has shown some quality dash, but ultimately he's not been busy enough to earn his spot. Dale (presuming fit) and Macrae come in. Play Macrae at half forward, a wing, wherever, he'll be a great contributor, as he always has been. I don't understand the fitness concerns when he played VFL and there's a two week break to Round 1.

I think McNeil has done enough to lock away that small forward position from Charlie Clarke and Arty Jones. West definitely plays, dynamic little brute he's becoming.

Williams, Duryea are in the category of 'I guess they play because who else is there?' I didn't mind Duryea's game against Hawthorn. He really doesn't have any competition in the defensively-minded small defender role. I'd like to see Cleary get a shot at some point but that's not really what he does. Williams' skills and nous are more dependable than Baker's.

Vandermeer despite being frustrating with his decision making becomes hard to remove because he's a terrier who'll uphold the team defence mentality to the final siren. So Bevo probably plays him but I'd prefer on balance he make way to play as the sub.

Lastly Daniel finished fourth in the best and fairest last season seemingly because of his supreme flexibility to take on any role, so I don't get the angst about him not having a well defined position in the lead up to the season. I'd be playing him between half forward and the wing, or at half back. He's surplus to needs in the guts this season.

B
Khamis
Jones
Duryea

HB
Dale
O'Donnell
Richards

C
Daniel
Liberatore
Macrae

HF
McNeil
Naughton
West

F
Lobb
Ugle-Hagan
Weightman

Foll
English
Bontempelli
Sanders

I
Johannisen
Treloar
Harmes
Williams

Sub
Vandermeer

Bigdog
03-03-2024, 01:21 PM
I?m only making the two changes. Dale in for Duryea and Macrae for Gallagher.

Gallagher to sub role.

The other name to consider is Artie Jones, I thought he was exceptional in the VFL. Everything he touched turned to gold. It was the best I?ve seen him play. Hope he can back this performance up.

Go_Dogs
03-03-2024, 04:00 PM
B
Khamis
Jones
Duryea

HB
Dale
O'Donnell
Richards

C
Daniel
Liberatore
Macrae

HF
McNeil
Naughton
West

F
Lobb
Ugle-Hagan
Weightman

Foll
English
Bontempelli
Sanders

I
Johannisen
Treloar
Harmes
Williams

Sub
Vandermeer

I don?t mind the team, a really good effort. I do find it a bit challenging that we?ve played so much of Williams, Baker and Poulter on the wings and then we end up with Daniel and Macrae? Not sure I love it.

I know JJ is on the bench, but the backline looks a bit light of for run. Richards can, but probably won?t and Dale after missing a bit of the last week or two, and who has been down on form from the highs of 2021 don?t seem to give us enough of the pace and direct ball movement we?ve been aiming for.

It?s probably our best credentialed players, no longer sure it?s our best ?team? though.

mjp
03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
I?m only making the two changes. Dale in for Duryea and Macrae for Gallagher.

Gallagher to sub role.

The other name to consider is Artie Jones, I thought he was exceptional in the VFL. Everything he touched turned to gold. It was the best I?ve seen him play. Hope he can back this performance up.

Yeah - but we played 24. So 2 need to go out before you make any player changes...

Bulldog Joe
03-03-2024, 06:26 PM
Finding it pretty difficult and have used Grantysghost team as a template

B : Bramble (was good with run and I would have him in), Jones, Coffield (feel he must play can he take Fritsch)
HB : JJ, JOD/(Khamis was the best I have seen but one or the other), Richards
C : Do we use a mid on the wing Macrae, Libba, Williams
HF: Sanders, Naughton, McNeil (did enough)
F: Lobb, Marra, Weightman
Foll : English, Bont, Treloar
Sub : Could this be for Khamis/JOD as they cover both ends or do you use Darcy

and now I realise I have missed Bailey Dale

angelopetraglia
03-03-2024, 06:38 PM
DALE?S RACE AGAINST TIME MAY NOT SAVE DANIEL

- Jon Ralph

Bailey Dale?s race against time to recover from a tight hamstring for round 1 still might not save Caleb Daniel from demotion to the VFL against Melbourne.

The Dogs took care of business with a rousing second half in their win against Hawthorn in Launceston but once again Luke Beveridge?s team selection is the subject of intrigue.

Dale missed the clash with a tight hamstring and is doubtful to return against Melbourne in round 1.

All Australian Daniel played the second half as a half forward against Hawthorn and had little impact in eight possessions.

He is a genuine 50-50 call to miss selection in part because of Ryley Sanders? midfield emergence but also because of the club?s fit list.

Bailey Smith is out for the year with an ACL tear, but Dale (hamstring) and James O?Donnell (ankle) are the only other injuries of note.

Midfield star Jack Macrae played managed minutes in the VFL upon his return from hamstring tightness and will push at training this week to be included for round 1 on March 17.

The club has a decision ahead on whether three time All Australian Macrae has done enough to play against the Demons, who will be coming off an opening round clash against Sydney.

It would be a massive decision for Beveridge not to include both Macrae and Dale given their credentials at the club.

But Beveridge has backed in ex-Hawk Lachie Bramble in defence along with Liam Jones, Buku Khamis and Nick Coffield.

So even if Dale does miss there is not necessarily space for Daniel, but he could still find a spot against the Demons as the club?s sub.

O?Donnell was picked ahead of the club?s established defenders in Ryan Gardner and Alex Keath at times last year so it would surprise if he was not recalled.

Ruck-forward Sam Darcy got through the VFL clash well but seems unlikely to displace Rory Lobb given the Dogs forward line still flourished despite Lobb?s quiet day.

Beveridge seemed to tip his hand for Lobb when he told the Herald Sun this weekend Lobb was capable of running out matches but Darcy was only capable of 80 minutes of game time.

Source: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/round-zero-team-injury-news-swans-sweating-on-midfield-duo-as/news-story/9ad8ace9d466ba4a59932e8d15c6d41b?amp

Grantysghost
03-03-2024, 06:42 PM
Ryan Gardner right now :

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExaGF3djR4MXp5c3B4Z3p3bm0zcGY4dGxneWFncXJud Wx6YWd4Z3h4ZyZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/de0xIgxhZgAXJbKGNd/giphy.gif

angelopetraglia
03-03-2024, 06:47 PM
It looks a super competitive environment for round #1 spots which is a great position for the club to be in. It is going to be a fascinating two week countdown to see the final team.

There is a lot of 50/50 calls for Bevo and the coaching group to make. It is hard to have an informed opinion on the exposed form we have seen without seeing first hand what has happened across the pre-season (the magnficient WOOF updates definitely help).

I'm so pumped for Round #1. Day game at the MCG to kick off the season. Absolutely perfect.

Grantysghost
03-03-2024, 06:54 PM
Ok

Here i go

I didn't hit the OP and explain.

JOD over Buku. Buku was good, it's a line ball decision however JOD to me is ahead at this point.

Gallagher sub. Wasnt super impressed with his disposal yesterday however love his intensity so wouldn't mind a burst of the bench late from him.

I'm assuming Dale is out so Bramble gets the nod. He was good late and gave us metres. I dont mind him as a cheap pickup. Dale back id find it hard to fit him in.

McNeil played ok hes dont enough.

VDM has speed, a rarity so hes in reasonable form so plays.

Baker on the wing, played really well for Footscray and used his voice a lot. Brings leadership. I was disappointed with Poulter who looked unsure of himself.
Williams was his normal vanilla self, id be tempted to start Gags and have Williams as the sub but went with Bailey.
Harmes, he brings a bit of intensity. Still not completely sold but warming.

Caleb, jeez be a big call to leave him out id have him in but hopefully not on a wing / hf like yesterday. I get the feeling we can't shoe horn him into a spot which is really sad.

Coffield looks solid done enough and a good size.

Lobb he gets first crack was pretty solid yesterday. Darcy breathing down his neck and will get a chance.
Sanders is in front of Macrae cant believe i think that but here we are. He has more tricks with his kicking ability.
The rest pick themselves.

meenies
03-03-2024, 07:36 PM
Here goes:

Bramble, Jones, Coffield
Richards, Khamis, JJ

Gallagher, Libba, Scott

McNeil, Naughts, Harmes
West, Lobb, JUH

English, Bont, Treloar

Sanders, Weightman, Jones, Duryea
Sub: Daniel

Emergencies: Williams, VDM, Darcy, Poulter

Much prefer all those with injuries to play one real VFL game before coming in, unless they tear the track down this week and next at training.

jazzadogs
03-03-2024, 07:52 PM
Yeah - but we played 24. So 2 need to go out before you make any player changes...

We had a nominal squad of 26 but didn't use 3 of them. We played with 22, plus Caleb as the sub (VDM subbed off).

mjp
03-03-2024, 08:54 PM
We had a nominal squad of 26 but didn't use 3 of them. We played with 22, plus Caleb as the sub (VDM subbed off).

OK - cool - thanks.

Ozza
03-03-2024, 09:11 PM
B: Dale: Jones: Coffield
HB: JJ: O'Donnell; Richards
C: Williams: Libba: Harmes
HF: West; Naughton; A.Scott
F: Lobb; Jamarra; Flea
R: English; Bont; Treloar
Int: Sandars; Daniel; Bramble; McNeil
Sub: Jones

Willing to give Daniel the benefit of the doubt. Runs on the board.
Prefer Scott in the team. Role player - defensive work on Salem perhaps, or with Langdon on a wing.
Buku very unlucky - but going with O'Donnell for the extra height.

hujsh
03-03-2024, 10:00 PM
Bolded are my locks, italicized are guys who seem very likely to play (eg trade ins) or have shown really good form (West and Sanders)

Dale

Jones
JJ

Coffield

JOD

Richards

Gallager
Libba

Williams

Sanders

Naughton

Harmes

Lobb

JUH
Cody

English

Bont
Treloar

West

Khamis
Daniel
Macrae

Bramble/Dureya
Scott/McNeil

Sub: Scott (versatility) or Bramble (pace/run)

I went with Khamis on my bench because I like him but structurally could see a small taking that spot (Bramble or Dureya). Macrae gets the last bench seat on reputation but Scott could easily be rotating wing/forward. McNeil has performed well in the practice matches (set shots being the exception) so he's possibly there too though I suspect we go with a mid over a second small forward on the bench. Daniel not italicized because it sounds like the coaches aren't happy with him for whatever reason (maybe that story is BS though I have no way of knowing)

Gallager is on the wing purely because he played there last could easily be Poulter or Baker.

The only lock I doubt is Dale. I assume he'd have played firsts if not for injury but something tells me when Bevo referred to 'big names missing round 1' it wasn't just Daniel in the line of fire... just a hunch

Mat Lyons
03-03-2024, 10:01 PM
1. Don't get sucked in that Daniel won't play. He's in.
2. Spoke to Bailey Dale directly on Saturday at the VFL match. He's training this week and will be right to play.
3. Macrae got through the match and completed his GPS kms at full pace. Will also be selected.
4. From Gary's report, O'Donnell has overcome his injury concern. I cannot see him not being selected (Buku will be stiff, but that's footy)
5. Tony Scott and Arty Jones have put their hand up after great games in the VFL. Scott may be a great choice for sub.
6. Darcy shot the lights out (again) but his aerobic fitness may mean that Lobb is just ahead in the view of selectors.

Let the wild rumpus start!

DadBod
03-03-2024, 10:41 PM
My 20c is as follows.

Backs
Bramble Jones Dale
(Run, went at 100%) (If fit)
JJ JOD Red
(If fit)

Centre
Williams COL Harmes

Forwards
West Naughts Ads
(Was outstanding)

Lobb Marra Flea

Followers
Timmy Bont Libba

Interchange
Daniel Macrae Coff McNeil

Sub
Bakes / Scott

BOYDSKICKEDAGOAL!FAK!!
03-03-2024, 10:59 PM
wow this is bang on - it's like you're better at expressing my thoughts than I am

BOYDSKICKEDAGOAL!FAK!!
03-03-2024, 11:02 PM
I don't see him as a key forward (certainly not an option for JOD), but I do see him as a major problem.

we picked up coffield specifically to play on fritsch

jeemak
03-03-2024, 11:53 PM
I'll watch the replay of yesterday's game again before I pin colours to a mast, though at times in the fist half, particularly the second quarter, we seemed a bit stagnant in the midfield mix and again relied too heavily on Bont, Libba and Treloar who didn't seem to be able to get things done when challenged (though some straighter kicking might have made things look a bit better for them).

Players of the quality of Daniel and Macrae need to be inserted into the mix at that point. Sanders was excellent but I'm wary of putting too much expectation on him, and I don't expect consistency in output over a long season (happy to be surprised along the journey, however).

Does anyone really expect Daniel not to play? He was fourth in our B&F last year playing a multitude of roles to benefit the team - I can't see how he's not rated by the MC. I get he doesn't have a defined position but that's also a strength in that he can pretty much play anywhere he's needed and produce quality.

Jacko has earned the right to fight it out in the seniors. We've invested heavily in him over the years and he's rewarded us. We need to get him into the homogenised midfield mix with a caveat, no more head down, hands on hips shit. Get back to the hard working, accountable, tough and creative player he's proved himself to be over time.

AshMac
04-03-2024, 08:17 AM

Getting through full training for a week is considered fit. I thought Bramble played more of a high half flank role.

Stopping the demons kicking goals will be a combination of midfield and defensive player as their kicking spread is high and their quite creative inside 50. I really hope we're up for the challenge. Can't wait to see.

Grantysghost
04-03-2024, 10:49 AM
This is the AFL.com predicted side:

B: Alex Keath, Liam Jones, Nick Coffield
HB: Ed Richards, James O'Donnell, Bailey Dale
C: Bailey Williams, Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar
HF: James Harmes, Aaron Naughton, Rhylee West
F: Rory Lobb, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Cody Weightman
Foll: Tim English, Tom Liberatore, Ryley Sanders
I/C: Jason Johannisen, Buku Khamis, Caleb Daniel, Taylor Duryea, Lachlan Bramble
EMERG: Sam Darcy,Jack Macrae, Harvey Gallagher
NEW: Ryley Sanders, Nick Coffield, James Harmes
UNAVAILABLE: Bailey Smith (ACL), Jordan Croft (shin), Aiden O'Driscoll (concussion)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1080324/predicted-teams-whos-in-your-clubs-best-23

GVGjr
04-03-2024, 10:55 AM
These are the surprise selections from my perspective.
Alex Keath being in the R1 side is a stretch
I can't see both Duryea and Bramble in the line-up if Dale is fit.
10 defenders have been nominated. We normally go in with 7 and perhaps 8 at a stretch.
McNeil should be the side somewhere.
I know we probably shouldn't get too hung up on exact positions but Treloar on a wing doesn't seem right to me.

Testekill
04-03-2024, 11:05 AM
I would love to know what the justification for Keath being in the side is. Dude is so cooked physically that he's charcoal and should really only be playing when Jones is out and we need a veteran tall defender.

Bigdog
04-03-2024, 11:26 AM
Buku Khamis had 96% TOG Saturday. Lock him in for the season if can run out games.

Testekill
04-03-2024, 11:36 AM
Buku Khamis had 96% TOG Saturday. Lock him in for the season if can run out games.

His tank was really the only thing holding him back from playing more AFL games.

bornadog
04-03-2024, 11:56 AM

I loved the way he held his marks - one grab

azabob
04-03-2024, 12:07 PM
I'll watch the replay of yesterday's game again before I pin colours to a mast, though at times in the fist half, particularly the second quarter, we seemed a bit stagnant in the midfield mix and again relied too heavily on Bont, Libba and Treloar who didn't seem to be able to get things done when challenged (though some straighter kicking might have made things look a bit better for them).

Players of the quality of Daniel and Macrae need to be inserted into the mix at that point. Sanders was excellent but I'm wary of putting too much expectation on him, and I don't expect consistency in output over a long season (happy to be surprised along the journey, however).

Does anyone really expect Daniel not to play? He was fourth in our B&F last year playing a multitude of roles to benefit the team - I can't see how he's not rated by the MC. I get he doesn't have a defined position but that's also a strength in that he can pretty much play anywhere he's needed and produce quality.

Jacko has earned the right to fight it out in the seniors. We've invested heavily in him over the years and he's rewarded us. We need to get him into the homogenised midfield mix with a caveat, no more head down, hands on hips shit. Get back to the hard working, accountable, tough and creative player he's proved himself to be over time.

You are spot on that if Bont, Libba and Trelor are all not firing we really struggle to when the clearance out of the middle. I also agree we need more players going through the middle who can actually influence the contest.
You are also right in saying Macrae and Daniel need to be inserted into the mix at some stage.

My only concern is has Macrea missed too much of the pre season to play round one? If we play him even slightly underdone we are doing a major disservice to the team and Macrae. At this point Jacko needs to demand to be picked.

azabob
04-03-2024, 12:10 PM
I'm interested in others thoughts on who Khamis is actually competing with for a spot in the team.

Khamis v Coffield or Khamis v JOD.

Either way I'm not sure he is a better option than either of these players.

bornadog
04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
I'm interested in others thoughts on who Khamis is actually competing with for a spot in the team.

Not Coffield

lemmon
04-03-2024, 12:35 PM

I think he's up against JOD. Khamis was the guy sent to Chol or Lewis where Coff spent most of his time on the mid-sized forwards. Looks like they've bracketed Coffield in as a mid-sized interceptor where they seem to have gone with Buku as the genuine centre half back (that might change pending player availability, I think).

I imagine we'll probably only see two of JOD, Coffield or Buku play - if it's JOD and Buku, Buku plays as the intercepting defender. If it's Buku and Coffield, they expect Buku to play as a genuine tall.

Coffield feels like a lock to me at the moment, so think Buku will be fighting it out as a genuine tall defender.

ledge
04-03-2024, 12:42 PM
Can’t see Buku on Fritch , he is too slow and Fritch has great evasive skills.
Fritch worries me looking for a match up, maybe Richards or JJ and run off him but when the ball comes in stick to him. I’m not sure Fritch has much in the chasing and defensive side.

Mofra
04-03-2024, 01:06 PM

Interesting you say that as I did mention I wanted us to rotate more heavily in the middle this year. I don't think we rotated enough for my liking.

Mofra
04-03-2024, 01:07 PM
Can’t see Buku on Fritch , he is too slow and Fritch has great evasive skills.
Fritch worries me looking for a match up, maybe Richards or JJ and run off him but when the ball comes in stick to him. I’m not sure Fritch has much in the chasing and defensive side.
Dale? He'll have 30 kicks if Fritsch plays loose on him. Cop a couple of goals against us if it means we're setting up our guys

GVGjr
04-03-2024, 01:26 PM

A few weeks back I would have thought it was Coffield but it now could be JOD

Virgin-Dog
04-03-2024, 01:36 PM
I think he's up against JOD. Khamis was the guy sent to Chol or Lewis where Coff spent most of his time on the mid-sized forwards. Looks like they've bracketed Coffield in as a mid-sized interceptor where they seem to have gone with Buku as the genuine centre half back (that might change pending player availability, I think).

I imagine we'll probably only see two of JOD, Coffield or Buku play - if it's JOD and Buku, Buku plays as the intercepting defender. If it's Buku and Coffield, they expect Buku to play as a genuine tall.

Coffield feels like a lock to me at the moment, so think Buku will be fighting it out as a genuine tall defender.
I like the idea of seeing Jones, JOD, Coffield and Khamis all playing together. The latter two are mobile and good with ball in hand, unlike if we played 4 ?talls? that included the likes of Keath and Gardner. West Coast of 2018 had Barrass, McGovern, Schofield and Hurn which is 4 ?talls? with less mobility overall than our group

azabob
04-03-2024, 01:39 PM

Thanks lemmon. I tend to agree Coffield feels like a lock and Buku will be fighting for his spot.

The Underdog
04-03-2024, 01:54 PM
These are the surprise selections from my perspective.
Alex Keath being in the R1 side is a stretch
I can't see both Duryea and Bramble in the line-up if Dale is fit.
10 defenders have been nominated. We normally go in with 7 and perhaps 8 at a stretch.
McNeil should be the side somewhere.
I know we probably shouldn't get too hung up on exact positions but Treloar on a wing doesn't seem right to me.

Playing all of Jones, Keath, JOD and Khamis against Melbourne's forward line would be insane and therefore also the kind of thing Bevo's MC could do. But that team sucks.

GVGjr
04-03-2024, 02:02 PM
From what we've seen so far at training, match Sims and the practice games In believe that Bevo is sticking to his preseason mantra of players being fit and in form.

ledge
04-03-2024, 02:03 PM
Dale? He'll have 30 kicks if Fritsch plays loose on him. Cop a couple of goals against us if it means we're setting up our guys

Dale yes he could be the one .

Happy Days
04-03-2024, 02:09 PM
I also immediately thought of Dale (and Macrae) when Bevo said that thing he said. They both had a much worse 2023 than Daniel did and are coming in underdone.

Bullies
04-03-2024, 03:25 PM

Either way I'm not sure he is a better option than either of these players. I think Khamis still needs to learn the art of playing down back. He backs himself which is a good thing but as a defender he has no touch on his opponent. He needs to learn that especially playing on the talls.

mjp
04-03-2024, 04:21 PM
Can some one tell me why players who played VFL in what was our only practice game would be selected in Round 1?

'cos right now I don't understand.

If they were fit for selection vs Hawthorn and under consideration for Round 1, why wouldn't they have been picked? I feel like I must be missing something super obvious...I guess Macrae could be an exception - the bloke is a 3-time-AA or whatever he is - but outside of that, surely the team vs Hawthorn will be as near as dammit to the team vs Melbourne??

bornadog
04-03-2024, 04:35 PM
Can some one tell me why players who played VFL in what was our only practice game would be selected in Round 1?

If they were fit for selection vs Hawthorn and under consideration for Round 1, why wouldn't they have been picked? I feel like I must be missing something super obvious...I guess Macrae could be an exception - the bloke is a 3-time-AA or whatever he is - but outside of that, surely the team vs Hawthorn will be as near as dammit to the team vs Melbourne??

Except two (of 26), plus any that didn't perform, like any other week.

angelopetraglia
04-03-2024, 04:38 PM

1) Player plays in the VFL and performs to a very high level
2) A player who played in the senior practice match peformed poorly
3) They saw that the onfield chemistry wasn't right and need to make a change
4) A specific match up they need to address for Melbourne

The coaching panel now have new information and could potentially make a change. Just like any other round of the season.

GVGjr
04-03-2024, 04:47 PM

Well the only one's I would say that would be in serious contention, and probably more if injuries occur, are Macrae, Scott, Darcy Poulter and Baker.
Macrae and Scott have had some injury setbacks so it makes sense to get some game time into them rather than have them coming off the bench in Tas. I'm intrigued with why both/either Poulter and Baker weren't part of the trip to Tas but I assume they needed a full game at Footscray but it must make it hard for them to be seriously considered in R1. Perhaps one of them comes in for Gallagher but I assume we will stick with him a bit longer.

mjp
04-03-2024, 05:14 PM
1) Player plays in the VFL and performs to a very high level

We've had months to work this out. One swallow doesn't make a summer.

2) A player who played in the senior practice match peformed poorly

See my response to point #1. Selection integrity and all, but are we seriously on 'one chance' at AFL Level??

3) They saw that the onfield chemistry wasn't right and need to make a change

One way to build chemistry is for sure to keep changing the side.

4) A specific match up they need to address for Melbourne

Have Melbourne recruited some blokes we didn't know about? Pretty sure we went into the Hawks game knowing what we would be up against and selected a side with that in mind.

The coaching panel now have new information and could potentially make a change. Just like any other round of the season.

But Round 1 is NOT like any other round. We've had forever...after 3-months you are but now you aren't (and vice versa). Simply doesn't make sense. I get the Macrae stuff and I get the Bailey Dale stuff but as for everyone else...

Before I Die
04-03-2024, 05:54 PM
Although Buku played well, I can't see him playing CHB in Round 1 if JOD is ready to go. JOD had been first choice CHB until his injury. With Keath and Gardner also unavailable, and Busslinger not yet ready, Buku was last man standing for the job. He beat Chol on the day, but is Chol really a good yardstick?

If JOD is not 100% in two weeks from now, then maybe Buku gets his chance, though I think it's possible that Keath may still get the nod.

Lobb's selection ahead of Darcy for the game in Tassie is a clear indicator of where the MC is at regarding these two. Bevo's comment re Darcy needing to build more strength pretty much sealed the deal.

I don't think Macrae plays Round 1 as he won't fit the 'fittest team' mantra without at least one VFL game.

Dale is in if fully fit at the expense of either Bramble or Gallagher. Gallagher is the enigma, as he hasn't really been in the conversation, 'supporter' conversation at least, regarding the wing position. I think he will play as I can't see any other reason to play him in Tassie, given Poulter and Baker were available, unless the decision had effectively been made re Round 1.

In the below team, players in brackets play if selected player is not fully fit for Round 1:

Coffield Jones Dale/(Bramble)

Richards JOD/(Buku) JJ

Gallagher Treloar Williams

McNeil Naughton Weightman

West Marra Lobb

English Bont Libba

Interchange: Daniel Harmes Sanders Vandermeer

Sub: Duryea

I'm not a great fan of VDM, but I think he plays. I'm not sure Duryea would be a great Sub, but I can't fit him in my team. I'd probably prefer Scott, but Duryea gets the nod because he played in Tassie.

jazzadogs
04-03-2024, 06:23 PM
Except two (of 26), plus any that didn't perform, like any other week.

I mentioned it before (possibly another thread) but we only played 23 against the Hawks. Baker, Darcy and Cleary were all named but stayed in Melbourne to play VFL.

It makes it interesting that we ran out the second half a lot better, as Hawthorn were using the full 8 man bench.

angelopetraglia
04-03-2024, 06:24 PM
We've had months to work this out. One swallow doesn't make a summer.

See my response to point #1. Selection integrity and all, but are we seriously on 'one chance' at AFL Level??

One way to build chemistry is for sure to keep changing the side.

Have Melbourne recruited some blokes we didn't know about? Pretty sure we went into the Hawks game knowing what we would be up against and selected a side with that in mind.

But Round 1 is NOT like any other round. We've had forever...after 3-months you are but now you aren't (and vice versa). Simply doesn't make sense. I get the Macrae stuff and I get the Bailey Dale stuff but as for everyone else...

Agree with your points. But you do react to new data points. You have new data. The first data under close to real match simulation. Of course that will impact your decision making. If it didn't you would not be keeping a clear and open mind.

Uninformed
04-03-2024, 07:59 PM
I like the idea of seeing Jones, JOD, Coffield and Khamis all playing together. The latter two are mobile and good with ball in hand, unlike if we played 4 ?talls? that included the likes of Keath and Gardner. West Coast of 2018 had Barrass, McGovern, Schofield and Hurn which is 4 ?talls? with less mobility overall than our group

JOD is pretty mobile too. Would you then have Dale, Richards and maybe JJ or Bramble off the bench?

Virgin-Dog
05-03-2024, 01:25 AM
JOD is pretty mobile too. Would you then have Dale, Richards and maybe JJ or Bramble off the bench?
Yeah sorry my post was probably worded a little funny, I didn?t call out JODs athleticism (which is a definite strength) as I feel he?s a lock when fit, whereas Coffield and Khamis are the two additions which could potentially make us too tall if not for the fact they?re so mobile.

If Dale is at 100% fitness then I?d be picking Richards, JJ, Dale and maybe Bramble (given Bramble can be moved onto a wing if needed). If Dale isn?t fit, I?d stick with the other 3 but ensure we have a versatile winger (Williams/Scott) who can move into defence if needed.

Basically from the side named to face the Hawks, I?d remove Cleary (didn?t play seniors anyway), Duryea and Daniel (to sub) while adding in JOD and Dale. Though I?m not sure if this makes us a little heavy on defenders given that?s 8, but the versatility of some makes it more viable

Axe Man
05-03-2024, 10:36 AM
DALE'S RACE AGAINST TIME MAY NOT SAVE DANIEL (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/round-zero-team-injury-news-swans-sweating-on-midfield-duo-as/news-story/9ad8ace9d466ba4a59932e8d15c6d41b)

Jon Ralph

Bailey Dale?s race against time to recover from a tight hamstring for round 1 still might not save Caleb Daniel from demotion to the VFL against Melbourne.

The Dogs took care of business with a rousing second half in their win against Hawthorn in Launceston but once again Luke Beveridge?s team selection is the subject of intrigue.

Dale missed the clash with a tight hamstring and is doubtful to return against Melbourne in round 1.

All Australian Daniel played the second half as a half forward against Hawthorn and had little impact in eight possessions.

He is a genuine 50-50 call to miss selection in part because of Ryley Sanders? midfield emergence but also because of the club?s fit list.

Bailey Smith is out for the year with an ACL tear, but Dale (hamstring) and James O?Donnell (ankle) are the only other injuries of note.

Midfield star Jack Macrae played managed minutes in the VFL upon his return from hamstring tightness and will push at training this week to be included for round 1 on March 17.

The club has a decision ahead on whether three time All Australian Macrae has done enough to play against the Demons, who will be coming off an opening round clash against Sydney.

It would be a massive decision for Beveridge not to include both Macrae and Dale given their credentials at the club.

But Beveridge has backed in ex-Hawk Lachie Bramble in defence along with Liam Jones, Buku Khamis and Nick Coffield.

So even if Dale does miss there is not necessarily space for Daniel, but he could still find a spot against the Demons as the club?s sub.

O?Donnell was picked ahead of the club?s established defenders in Ryan Gardner and Alex Keath at times last year so it would surprise if he was not recalled.

Ruck-forward Sam Darcy got through the VFL clash well but seems unlikely to displace Rory Lobb given the Dogs forward line still flourished despite Lobb?s quiet day.

Beveridge seemed to tip his hand for Lobb when he told the Herald Sun this weekend Lobb was capable of running out matches but Darcy was only capable of 80 minutes of game time.

Bigdog
05-03-2024, 08:56 PM
If VDM is out, I think Arty has to play. We need speed on the ball and he played well in the VFL.

azabob
05-03-2024, 09:41 PM
If VDM is out, I think Arty has to play. We need speed on the ball and he played well in the VFL.

What has VDM done?

GVGjr
05-03-2024, 09:43 PM
What has VDM done?

On the training report I mentioned that Laith was taking some concussion protocols.

Mofra
06-03-2024, 01:35 PM
I still want CD in the side. You can talk about pace all you want but that's useless if you can use the ball and CD is our best short kick in congestion

Go_Dogs
06-03-2024, 02:00 PM
I still want CD in the side. You can talk about pace all you want but that's useless if you can use the ball and CD is our best short kick in congestion

It’s really hard to fathom CD not being in the side.

He’s a proven performer fresh off a 4th place in our B&F (and 5th in our WOOF awards) and can fill a variety of roles across the park for a coach who has long had a mantra for versatility in his players. On balance though, I think most of us WOOF folk would say his kicking has been slightly down (or more error prone) than it was a few years back, and competition for spots is becoming tougher across the board but particularly midfield/wing/running defenders.

I’m confident he plays unless there is some niggling injury concern we don’t know about which is limiting his minutes, in which case maybe he gets the nod as sub for R1?

Virgin-Dog
06-03-2024, 07:27 PM
Based on recent injury updates, I'm picking Dale and JOD to miss out (would otherwise have spots in the side if 100% fit). I think we can afford to go in with Coffield and Khamis as our 2nd and 3rd "talls" in defence considering the Demons are likely to run with Fritsch, Van Rooyen and Schache as their "talls" which isn't a huge amount of height and marking power, rather needing mobility to shut them down.

My latest attempt is:

FB: Bramble - Jones - Coffield
HB: Richards - Khamis - JJ

C: Williams - Treloar - Gallagher
R: English - Bont - Libba

HF: McNeil - Lobb - Naughton
FF: Weightman - JUH - West

IC: Sanders - Macrae - Duryea - Harmes - Daniel (SUB - possibly swapped with Macrae)

Considering we'll be without VDM (concussion), I think this saves Gallagher's spot in the side. If not, I'm picking Baker to take that spot on the wing. Means we've got ample leg speed around the ground.

Macrae (due to fitness), Gallagher and Duryea would be the ones first to lose their spots in this side.

Axe Man
06-03-2024, 07:39 PM
Considering we'll be without VDM (concussion)

Vandermeer should be available under the 12 day protocol unless he has further symptoms.

Virgin-Dog
06-03-2024, 07:51 PM
Vandermeer should be available under the 12 day protocol unless he has further symptoms.
I thought the 21 day rule extended to AFL but seems not.. so he will be available. Probably between him and Gallagher for a spot in that case, and I'd definitely rather Gallagher regardless

bornadog
06-03-2024, 09:12 PM
I thought the 21 day rule extended to AFL but seems not.. so he will be available. Probably between him and Gallagher for a spot in that case, and I'd definitely rather Gallagher regardless

21 days for all except AFL and AFLW

Mofra
07-03-2024, 09:35 AM
I'm really struggling with that second wing spot. Gallagher was 'ok' but seems a bit raw. We've tried Poulter and Baker there but they didn't get a go in Tassie. Bramble has played there before but he didn't play there last week which was basically a dress rehearsal.
Scott the other option but I'm not sure he played wing in the VFL game last week?

Mantis
07-03-2024, 09:43 AM
I'm really struggling with that second wing spot. Gallagher was 'ok' but seems a bit raw. We've tried Poulter and Baker there but they didn't get a go in Tassie. Bramble has played there before but he didn't play there last week which was basically a dress rehearsal.
Scott the other option but I'm not sure he played wing in the VFL game last week?

With Melbourne likely to have Langdon & Windsor as their wingers does this influence your decision?

GVGjr
07-03-2024, 10:31 AM

Scott was midfield in the VFL game with Poulter and Baker on the wings. On performances I have Baker ahead of Poulter but not by much.
Bramble hasn't been on the wing in match sims or practice games and it's been back flank or pocket.
Gallagher hasn't been really been used on a wing all preseason except for the game in Tas.

Axe Man
07-03-2024, 10:33 AM
Scott was midfield in the VFL game with Poulter and Baker on the wings. On performances I have Baker ahead of Poulter but not by much.
Bramble hasn't been on the wing in match sims or practice games and it's been back flank or pocket.
Gallagher hasn't been really been used on a wing all preseason except for the game in Tas.

It is strange that at the very last opportunity they decided to pivot to Gallagher on the wing. Is it because they really want to find a role for him in the side, or more that they are unhappy with the work of Baker and Poulter?

GVGjr
07-03-2024, 10:47 AM
It is strange that at the very last opportunity they decided to pivot to Gallagher on the wing. Is it because they really want to find a role for him in the side, or more that they are unhappy with the work of Baker and Poulter?

Great observation. I suspect it's a combination of both options.

Grantysghost
07-03-2024, 11:04 AM
Great observation. I suspect it's a combination of both options.
Ive been really disappointed with what I've seen of Poulter.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-03-2024, 11:09 AM
Ive been really disappointed with what I've seen of Poulter.

I think both he and Baker have low ceilings.

Happy Days
07-03-2024, 11:27 AM
Poulter has a lot of tools but I don’t think he’ll ever put them together. Baker is just too limited. I’ve given up on both and think we need to try something else.

Grantysghost
07-03-2024, 12:01 PM
I think both he and Baker have low ceilings.

Something i noticed with Poulter he seems to lead away from the ball. We had it on half back kicking to Gordon st against the wind, i was stood on the wing so he was 10 metres away, and he was really unsure where to run and ended up running to a spot the kicker was never going to make. Think we ended up turning it over. Small thing, easy from the fence but raised my eyebrow.
Baker i have a little more time for, has a loud voice, seems pretty smart and aware.
May become a solid contributor.

doggies ftw
07-03-2024, 12:02 PM
Can we get away with a rotation of Harmes, Sanders, Macrae, Treloar, CD etc through the 2nd wing? I know it?s not ideal I like specialist wingers but let?s be honest the other options aren?t exactly appealing, are we really gonna get more out of a Poulter or Baker than a combination of those guys?

Frees us up for more run out of the backline ie Bramble (who can run through the wing too) or an extra dedicated small forward McNeil etc

Bulldog4life
07-03-2024, 12:22 PM
Something i noticed with Poulter he seems to lead away from the ball. We had it on half back kicking to Gordon st against the wind, i was stood on the wing so he was 10 metres away, and he was really unsure where to run and ended up running to a spot the kicker was never going to make. Think we ended up turning it over. Small thing, easy from the fence but raised my eyebrow.
Baker i have a little more time for, has a loud voice, seems pretty smart and aware.
May become a solid contributor.

Like the Rock or have you only got one Gg?

Grantysghost
07-03-2024, 12:41 PM
Like the Rock or have you only got one Gg?
Haha... Rock style the peoples eyebrow

mjp
07-03-2024, 01:12 PM
Can we get away with a rotation of Harmes, Sanders, Macrae, Treloar, CD etc through the 2nd wing? I know it?s not ideal I like specialist wingers but let?s be honest the other options aren?t exactly appealing, are we really gonna get more out of a Poulter or Baker than a combination of those guys?

It seems like this is how we're setting up. The mid rotation will include the wings and we can expect to see each of those mentioned long with Williams, Weightman and potentially JJ on a wing whilst Williams and Weightman will also see some time inside the game...

I like the thinking.

lemmon
07-03-2024, 01:21 PM

Also worth pointing out that Caleb spent pretty much all of his game time on the weekend on a wing, so he seems to be in the thinking.

Happy Days
07-03-2024, 01:29 PM
Also worth pointing out that Caleb spent pretty much all of his game time on the weekend on a wing, so he seems to be in the thinking.

He would seem a natural fit.

Bullies
07-03-2024, 02:30 PM
Poulter has a lot of tools but I don’t think he’ll ever put them together. Baker is just too limited. I’ve given up on both and think we need to try something else. Poulter hates the contact side of the game. Has excellent skills when left alone but under pressure he will butcher it and turn it over. He doesn't know where to run either.

Still don't understand how both Poulter and Baker got on the list. They are both list cloggers. Both don't have much upside. Would rather see Gags get game time as he looks a natural footballer if given the opportunity.

Mofra
07-03-2024, 06:56 PM
He has the tank and the smarts. We might be giving away an outlet kick in transition but the risk might be worth the payoff.

Mofra
07-03-2024, 06:57 PM
Poulter hates the contact side of the game. Has excellent skills when left alone but under pressure he will butcher it and turn it over. He doesn't know where to run either.

Still don't understand how both Poulter and Baker got on the list. They are both list cloggers. Both don't have much upside. Would rather see Gags get game time as he looks a natural footballer if given the opportunity.
They're freebies who played senior football for us, so they're ahead of most DFASs and a handful of our draft picks too.

All eyes on Freijah's development though.

Virgin-Dog
07-03-2024, 08:09 PM
Poulter hates the contact side of the game. Has excellent skills when left alone but under pressure he will butcher it and turn it over. He doesn't know where to run either.

Baker is quick. Considerably faster than most players on our list. He was a fringe player at a strong side, and had traits we desperately needed / need on our list. As a DFA, it made sense to replace a fringe player on our list (Louis Butler) with another fringe player with a more relevant skillset. Baker played 18 games for us last year, and provides competition for spots in an area we are quite weak in, all while presumably getting paid the bare minimum. That kind of value recruiting is an absolute necessity if we want to be competitive

Bullies
07-03-2024, 08:33 PM
Baker is quick. Considerably faster than most players on our list. He was a fringe player at a strong side, and had traits we desperately needed / need on our list. As a DFA, it made sense to replace a fringe player on our list (Louis Butler) with another fringe player with a more relevant skillset. Baker played 18 games for us last year, and provides competition for spots in an area we are quite weak in, all while presumably getting paid the bare minimum. That kind of value recruiting is an absolute necessity if we want to be competitive I just think if we have Baker and Poulter in our side at the end of the year like we did last year then we are in trouble. Hope to be proven wrong.

Virgin-Dog
07-03-2024, 09:16 PM
I just think if we have Baker and Poulter in our side at the end of the year like we did last year then we are in trouble. Hope to be proven wrong.
I won?t disagree with you on that. They?re role players at best, and I?d rather not have both wings occupied by role players who have such clear flaws. One is fine - Both? Not so much.

Ideally we see improvement from one of these younger guys with upside like Gallagher, Bedendo, Artie, etc so they can take that wing, though I think they?ve each got a long way to go to match the output we currently get from Baker/Poulter, even if their ceilings are considerably different.

Rocco Jones
07-03-2024, 10:19 PM
Doc, L Jones, Coffield
JJ, JOD (Buku), Ed
Gags, Adz, Sanders
West, Naughts, McNeil
Lobb, Marra, Cody
English, Bont, Libba
Bramble, Harmes, Daniel, Macrae
Dale

Go_Dogs
08-03-2024, 08:55 AM
Doc, L Jones, Coffield
JJ, JOD (Buku), Ed
Gags, Adz, Sanders
West, Naughts, McNeil
Lobb, Marra, Cody
English, Bont, Libba
Bramble, Harmes, Daniel, Macrae
Dale

Good side.

If Macrae and Dale don’t quite get up, who is in the brackets for those roles? (Assume that’s why you’ve got Buku next to JOD).

Bigdog
08-03-2024, 02:54 PM
Poulter is 21 standing 194 cm. He has plenty of time and is still learning his body. He can be better than a role player with a bit more experience.

I don?t love baker as a footballer. I don?t think his clean enough with the footy. But he can do a role when required. His a player that?s good to have on the list in your top 30.

SquirrelGrip
08-03-2024, 03:11 PM
I think we forget sometimes that on a balanced list we are going to have players like Baker and Poulter. For their relative cost, they fill a gap for injuries and/or as our better draftees develop. They aren’t recruited to be first pick players, but there always remains a hope they develop under our system.

I’d like to know what our wing strategy is, as I feel some of our recent draftees have been recruited for that role - think Arty, Freij, O’Driscoll. In the meantime, we just play on-ballers out of position on the wings, with Baker and Poulter as back up.

Go_Dogs
08-03-2024, 03:56 PM
I think we forget sometimes that on a balanced list we are going to have players like Baker and Poulter. For their relative cost, they fill a gap for injuries and/or as our better draftees develop. They aren’t recruited to be first pick players, but there always remains a hope they develop under our system.

I’d like to know what our wing strategy is, as I feel some of our recent draftees have been recruited for that role - think Arty, Freij, O’Driscoll. In the meantime, we just play on-ballers out of position on the wings, with Baker and Poulter as back up.

It’s a position we don’t have a great plan for historically from a strategic stand point as a lay person watching us play. Really keen to see who we pick and why, and what role they play, come round one. Probably the most intriguing (and maybe less important) selection contemplations for us.

Axe Man
08-03-2024, 04:08 PM
Star Dog to push R1 case in VFL, ex-Saint in line for AFL comeback
(https://www.afl.com.au/news/1083813/star-western-bulldog-jack-macrae-to-push-r1-case-in-vfl-ex-saint-nick-coffield-in-line-for-afl-comeback)
WESTERN Bulldogs midfielder Jack Macrae will get the chance to make a late push for a round one spot by playing in the VFL again, while former top-10 pick Nick Coffield is on the cusp of playing his first AFL game since 2021.

Macrae missed almost all of the February training block after suffering a hamstring strain on the club's pre-season camp on the Sunshine Coast, but played managed minutes in a VFL practice match against Box Hill last weekend.

The three-time All-Australian will be one of three AFL-listed Bulldogs to feature in the practice match against North Melbourne at the Whitten Oval, along with James O'Donnell and Riley Garcia.

Macrae played 119 consecutive games, during a period where the Victorian was one of the most consistent midfielders in the AFL, until that streak ended when he entered the AFL's concussion protocols ahead of the final round of 2023.

But with pick No.6 Ryley Sanders and off-season signing James Harmes set to be injected into Luke Beveridge's midfield to start the new season, Macrae is fighting for a spot.

Coffield moved from Moorabbin during the Trade Period after enduring a nightmare injury run across the past two years, dating back to the moment he ruptured his ACL during a pre-season session in Ballarat in February 2022.

The 24-year-old played the last five VFL games of 2023 after overcoming lingering calf injuries and has completed the full pre-season program in Footscray.

Coffield has now put himself in a position to play his first game in 938 days when the Bulldogs face Melbourne next Sunday at the MCG, after strong showings against the Hawks over the past fortnight.

All-Australian defender Bailey Dale is racing the clock to be fit for round one after missing the AAMI Community Series game against Hawthorn due to hamstring tightness.

Dale completed most of Friday morning's session at the Whitten Oval before doing a running set with the rehab group that included Jordan Croft (shins), Aiden O'Driscoll (concussion) and Laitham Vandermeer (concussion).

With Dale no guarantee to play, Lachie Bramble is another new face in the frame to play in round one after being delisted by the Hawks.

The 25-year-old was added to the rookie list during the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP), weeks after undergoing a shoulder reconstruction in the off-season.

But after returning to full training in January, Bramble – who is the only player to be recruited twice via the SSP – is understood to be under proper consideration to start the season after featuring in both practice matches.

Category B rookie O'Donnell will also get a final opportunity to secure a spot in round one after spraining his ankle in the match simulation against Hawthorn late last month.

The cricket convert has impressed this summer and looked set to lock down a spot in the Bulldogs' backline until the setback a fortnight ago.

SquirrelGrip
09-03-2024, 09:50 AM
It’s a position we don’t have a great plan for historically from a strategic stand point as a lay person watching us play. Really keen to see who we pick and why, and what role they play, come round one. Probably the most intriguing (and maybe less important) selection contemplations for us.

We had Hunter as our specialist wing for so long then even in our premiership year we’d often have Tory Dickson starting there at the Centre bounces.

For me, it’s time to dedicate a couple of our excess on-ballers for the role. Macrae and Daniel come to mind to complement Williams and I’m also happy to trial Gags too. All of them have more upside then Poulter/Baker, plus it gives opportunity mix Weightman, Harmes, Sanders, Naughton in the occasional Centre bounce mix. Daniel is always team first and prepared to adjust his game for the role. I hope Macrae is too.

DOG GOD
09-03-2024, 12:16 PM
Bevo wouldn?t have the balls to drop a VC, hence why Macrae was dropped from leadership group. Makes it easier to not pick him now. From whst I saw of Sanders against hawks in Launceston, no way does Macrae get picked ahead of him. I think he will be lucky to play 10 senior games this year.

bornadog
09-03-2024, 12:42 PM
Bevo wouldn?t have the balls to drop a VC, hence why Macrae was dropped from leadership group. Makes it easier to not pick him now. From whst I saw of Sanders against hawks in Launceston, no way does Macrae get picked ahead of him. I think he will be lucky to play 10 senior games this year.

I don't agree. Other than his first year at the club and last year, Macrae has averaged over 30 disposals each year. He knows how to get the ball and create play. He won't be down for long.

Bullies
09-03-2024, 01:36 PM
It’s a position we don’t have a great plan for historically from a strategic stand point as a lay person watching us play. Really keen to see who we pick and why, and what role they play, come round one. Probably the most intriguing (and maybe less important) selection contemplations for us. I still think long term JOD will be a wingman. Has all the attributes especially his speed and size. I can see him being the go to player out of defence and will be very hard to match up on.

Happy Days
09-03-2024, 01:45 PM

You can accuse Bevo of a lot of things but a lack of balls at selection is definitely not one of them.

GVGjr
09-03-2024, 01:46 PM
I still think long term JOD will be a wingman. Has all the attributes especially his speed and size. I can see him being the go to player out of defence and will be very hard to match up on.

I wouldn't rule that out either.

meenies
09-03-2024, 04:51 PM

I think Mitch Wallis would disagree, plus many others from the leadership group in the past - Hunter, Trengove, Redpath, others?

Mofra
09-03-2024, 05:11 PM
Bevo wouldn?t have the balls to drop a VC
Mitch Wallis begs to differ

Bigdog
09-03-2024, 05:46 PM
I don?t think the result is the be all and all. If we are serious we will have changed our style over the off season (we looked to move the ball quicker in the trial games). With a tinkering of style there is likely to be teething issues and it may take time getting the balance right.

I do think this is the fittest this group has gone into Round 1 since 16.

jazzadogs
09-03-2024, 09:59 PM

I don't think he's competing with Sanders for a spot. He has taken Bailey Smith's spot.

Macrae is primarily competing with Harmes, imo.

GVGjr
10-03-2024, 08:24 PM
If competition for spots is a sign of strength then we are in a good place at the moment.
Lets have a look at some of the conundrum the selectors are faced with

Backline
Can we play both Duryea and Bramble or is one or the other and if so which one?
Can we play 4 tall defenders against the Dees? Jones is a walk up start, I suspect Coffield is as well but can we really round out the tall defenders with both Khamis and O'Donnell?
Then we have a question mark on Dale fitness. How much of a risk are we prepared to take? Next weeks training is a huge indicator.

Midfield
Is Macrae still a midfielder in our selectors eyes?
Who players on the wings? Williams is just about a lock but Gallagher has emerged as a counter against Baker and Poulter.
Could Bramble be given a role on a wing for a week or could Harmes be used there?
Bontempelli, Liberatore, Treloar and now Sanders are locks for the main midfield rotation but Harmes will no doubt get involved as well.
Is Daniel part of a midfield rotation or is he now primarily a forward or spare parts player for us?

Forwards
Does it get any better than Lobb vs Darcy for a key forward and back-up ruckman role? Can we play both of them?
Marra, Naughton, Weightman and Harmes are locks but we also have McNeil, West and Vandermeer to add to our defensive efforts and goal kicking options plus if Daniel plays it will be mainly as a forward.

This is the most open R1 selection challenges I can recall with at least 28 players genuinely in the mix and that isn't including Scott who's acknowledged as a very good depth player and with Baz Smith out for the season with an injury and Arty Jones with a skill set we really rate.

The selectors have some challenges in front of them this week.

Prince Imperial
10-03-2024, 09:29 PM
My round 1 team based on practice match form and match fitness:

Coffield Jones Bramble
Johannisen Khamis Richards
Williams Liberatore Harmes
West Naughton McNeil
Lobb Ugle-Hagan Weightman
English Bontempelli
Treloar
Sanders Daniel Macrae O'Donnell
Scott (sub)

O'Donnell is my last one picked. I think we don't need him this week against the Melbourne forward line with its lack of quality talls but we are going to need him thereafter including in Round 2 given GC's three tall forwards and playing at the AFL level will help with that. It's not just about round 1.

I assume Dale won't be fit and nobody else is really knocking down the door except for Darcy who won't be picked due to team balance (I don't think Gallagher is ready). Pickett ran amok against us last year when Duryea was in the team. If Dale is fit, however, I would play him against the Demons rather than JOD because of his quality and real attacking ability.

Jeanette54
10-03-2024, 11:06 PM
Inline with my regular beef about us long bombing to the forwards, I want Caleb Daniel somewhere he can regularly deliver the ball into the forwards. All of the talls (Naughts, Lobb and Marra) are so much better when they can run onto a ball. Pack marks look great, but are highly ineffective as a means of maintaining possession. Both Marra and Naughts have a great vertical leap, and well, Lobb is just tall. It also protects them somewhat from contact injury.

Also, with our poor goal kicking record, it would help immensely if we didn't deliver it to them at difficult angles to goal.

Also is it possible Tim or Rory might employ "Grundy tactics" to negate Max Gawn at the centre bounces? It seemed to stop Melbourne exploding out of the center bounces. I was a bit surprised that the umps deemed it a legal tactic.

angelopetraglia
10-03-2024, 11:36 PM
If we have players who will be making their debut in our colours, I'm sure it will be drip fed through the week. A little like Melbourne did last week. I'm not too sure we are going to have to wait until Thursday to see all of the team.

jeemak
11-03-2024, 12:17 AM
Are we changing this back to the Always Right MC thread this week?

jeemak
11-03-2024, 12:19 AM
Inline with my regular beef about us long bombing to the forwards, I want Caleb Daniel somewhere he can regularly deliver the ball into the forwards. All of the talls (Naughts, Lobb and Marra) are so much better when they can run onto a ball. Pack marks look great, but are highly ineffective as a means of maintaining possession. Both Marra and Naughts have a great vertical leap, and well, Lobb is just tall. It also protects them somewhat from contact injury.

Also, with our poor goal kicking record, it would help immensely if we didn't deliver it to them at difficult angles to goal.

Also is it possible Tim or Rory might employ "Grundy tactics" to negate Max Gawn at the centre bounces? It seemed to stop Melbourne exploding out of the center bounces. I was a bit surprised that the umps deemed it a legal tactic.

It's a bit of a conundrum as to whether we move the ball more quickly and effectively, and therefor to better forward positions if we have Daniel getting it moving in the defensive thirds of the ground versus the forward thirds. Don't know the answer.

Mavericks
11-03-2024, 08:58 AM
It's a bit of a conundrum as to whether we move the ball more quickly and effectively, and therefor to better forward positions if we have Daniel getting it moving in the defensive thirds of the ground versus the forward thirds. Don't know the answer.

Smarter ball movement looking at angles like swans did in second half is the deal against the Dees with Lever and May. Daniel has to play a high half forward/wing role for me.

Mofra
11-03-2024, 09:23 AM
If we have players who will be making their debut in our colours, I'm sure it will be drip fed through the week. A little like Melbourne did last week. I'm not too sure we are going to have to wait until Thursday to see all of the team.
May as well get the obvious ones - Sander & Harmes - out the way early.

The 'maybes' (Bramble & Gags) will have to wait

Bigdog
11-03-2024, 12:04 PM
FB: Coffield L.Jones Dale
CHB: Johannisen Khamis Richards
C: Williams Liberatore Sanders
CHF: West Naughton McNeil
FF: Lobb Ugle-Hagan Weightman

Mid: English Bontempelli Treloar

Inter: Harmes Daniel Macrae VDM

Sub: A.Jones

A couple of points to add:

JOD hasn?t done enough to displace Khamis or Coffield.

Richards would probably play more of a lockdown role on Pickett. His probably the only one that could go with him.

Line up is short of a true wingman. One of our mids will need to contribute on the wing. If a player like Macrae/Daniel/Harmes can?t perform on a wing they may find themselves on the outer for a Gallagher or Poulter.

Eventually throughout the year I?d prefer A.Jones to come in for McNeil as he has speed. A.Jones was also excellent in the VFL preseason game.

GVGjr
11-03-2024, 03:18 PM
FB: Coffield L.Jones Dale
CHB: Johannisen Khamis Richards
C: Williams Liberatore Sanders
CHF: West Naughton McNeil
FF: Lobb Ugle-Hagan Weightman

Mid: English Bontempelli Treloar

Inter: Harmes Daniel Macrae VDM

Sub: A.Jones

A couple of points to add:

JOD hasn?t done enough to displace Khamis or Coffield.

Richards would probably play more of a lockdown role on Pickett. His probably the only one that could go with him.

Line up is short of a true wingman. One of our mids will need to contribute on the wing. If a player like Macrae/Daniel/Harmes can?t perform on a wing they may find themselves on the outer for a Gallagher or Poulter.

Eventually throughout the year I?d prefer A.Jones to come in for McNeil as he has speed. A.Jones was also excellent in the VFL preseason game.

Very solid side, just our of curiosity who do you think is the most vulnerable selection?

Bigdog
11-03-2024, 03:36 PM
I think McNeil. His played himself in via good pre season form. Pre season form doesn?t always translate to the real stuff. He deserves a first crack though.

His not the only player that?s vulnerable.

I think JOD comes in for Khamis eventually.

Macrae needs to be able to contribute in other positions outside the midfield.

I?m still not sold on Riley West or Harmes.

A lot of people don?t like VDM, but he plays every week for me. We need speed and pressure forward. His forward pressure and repeat effort is by far the best in the team. I?m happy to take the good with the bad here.

Mat Lyons
11-03-2024, 07:17 PM
Dougie Hawkins names his Round 1 Bulldogs Team here! There are a few surprises! Lobb or Darcy?!?

https://youtu.be/zxcq4WKRfMY?si=ksCEGmx91KbJjRjj

jeemak
11-03-2024, 08:44 PM
I think McNeil. His played himself in via good pre season form. Pre season form doesn?t always translate to the real stuff. He deserves a first crack though.

His not the only player that?s vulnerable.

I think JOD comes in for Khamis eventually.

Macrae needs to be able to contribute in other positions outside the midfield.

I?m still not sold on Riley West or Harmes.

A lot of people don?t like VDM, but he plays every week for me. We need speed and pressure forward. His forward pressure and repeat effort is by far the best in the team. I?m happy to take the good with the bad here.

This isn't particularly directed at you Bigdog, but is the requirement for Macrae to contribute outside of his preferred midfield position something we're applying to others?

Or do we feel now the likes of Libba and Treloar should take the lions share of non-Bontempelli midfield minutes like they did last year, which didn't net us a great result?

Is Jack the casualty of us having three core midfielders (he being one, the others being Libba and Treloar) who are one trick ponies and we just figure the others now perform their midfield roles better or more aligned with team needs than he does?

Testekill
12-03-2024, 02:04 PM
Makes sense that our three mature recruits will play round 1 especially when they all looked good against the Hawks in Tassie.

Go_Dogs
12-03-2024, 02:08 PM
Makes sense that our three mature recruits will play round 1 especially when they all looked good against the Hawks in Tassie.

Saw this has been confirmed. Good news.

bulldogfan
12-03-2024, 02:10 PM
Do you think sanders will play ?

Go_Dogs
12-03-2024, 02:15 PM
Do you think sanders will play ?

Imagine they’ll do separate announcements for home grown debuts. Sanders and Gags both likely.

bornadog
12-03-2024, 02:50 PM
Saw this has been confirmed. Good news.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GIb0eOabgAEjBOJ?format=jpg&name=large

bornadog
12-03-2024, 02:50 PM
Surprised Bramble in

Rocco Jones
12-03-2024, 03:01 PM
I think the locks are (in position just because it's easier):

Coffield, L Jones, Ed
Bramble, ?, JJ
Sanders, Adz, ?
Westy, Naughts, McNeil
Cody, Marra, Lobb
Harmes

So six spots (including the sub) to go:

KPD spot- think we will/should only go one more alongside L.Jones. JOD or Buku .

2 wing/HFF spots. I'd like go see Gags get a game. Truck there too. I don't think we get enough from our wings and if it actually makes sense tactically, I'd like to only play one 'specialist' and rotate the other. Daniel is whatever role we have for him? Macrae depending on fitness, perhaps a sub? Arty?

2 small defenders or one and another 'runner'. Doc probably in you'd think. Dale similar to Macrae.

The sub, you'd assume a mid/runner etc. As mentioned, possibly Macrae or Dale if it fits their fitness level. Arty?

Go_Dogs
12-03-2024, 03:04 PM
The sub, you'd assume a mid/runner etc. As mentioned, possibly Macrae or Dale if it fits their fitness level. Arty?

Given the risk of an early injury, suspect we want someone who is able to run out the full game as sub.

I wonder if Scott or VDM are in the frame given they can play multiple roles?

Pleather Sole
12-03-2024, 03:06 PM
Re the Bailey Dale fitness/injury, he didn't play in the VFL v Nth hit out. Also I noted someone posted that they spoke to him and he's fine and will play. Is that the latest? Barring a training hiccup or a bout of covid he's 100% fit enough to play rd 1?
I'm asking because I'm putting my Rd1 team together and if 100% he's a lock, but if he's not it'll actually be easier to pick 23 such is the head scratching.
Thanks
Mr Sole

bornadog
12-03-2024, 03:15 PM
Re the Bailey Dale fitness/injury, he didn't play in the VFL v Nth hit out. Also I noted someone posted that they spoke to him and he's fine and will play. Is that the latest? Barring a training hiccup or a bout of covid he's 100% fit enough to play rd 1?
I'm asking because I'm putting my Rd1 team together and if 100% he's a lock, but if he's not it'll actually be easier to pick 23 such is the head scratching.
Thanks
Mr Sole

Would you play Dale, given his preparation?

With Bramble a starter, my gut says Dale won't play

josie
12-03-2024, 03:34 PM

Yep, that?s my guess. Also don?t think Gallagher will debut, but reckon he is close.

Rocket Science
12-03-2024, 03:59 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GIb0eOabgAEjBOJ?format=jpg&name=large

Big Mitch Honeychurch turning over in his grave energy.

Pleather Sole
12-03-2024, 04:19 PM

No way I'd risk him if he's not 100%.

bornadog
12-03-2024, 04:26 PM
Big Mitch Honeychurch turning over in his grave energy.

Hey, don't spoil it :D

bornadog
12-03-2024, 04:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki6UYZsB4s0&ab_channel=WesternBulldogs

Go_Dogs
12-03-2024, 05:23 PM
Great stuff, thanks for posting BAD.

I get the feeling Harmes is going to be a much loved and respected team mate very quickly. And Libba is going to love having someone who is willing to fly the flag even faster than he does!

GVGjr
12-03-2024, 05:32 PM

It's the way things have been worded. Bramble, Coffield and Harmes will make their club debut for the Bulldogs
I suspect tomorrow it will Sanders and perhaps Gallagher making their AFL debut for the Bulldogs.

Testekill
12-03-2024, 05:36 PM
It's the way things have been worded. Bramble, Coffield and Harmes will make their club debut for the Bulldogs
I suspect tomorrow it will Sanders and perhaps Gallagher making their AFL debut for the Bulldogs.

Yeah I would presume that we're giving the AFL debutants their own announcement.

GVGjr
12-03-2024, 05:46 PM
Yeah I would presume that we're giving the AFL debutants their own announcement.

You might expect some of the family will come over from Tas or down from Bendigo as part of the announcements Bevo and the coaches traditionally make. Looking forward to watching those.

Mofra
12-03-2024, 05:55 PM
Gee Bevo was as open in this morning's press conference as I can remember.
- No underdone players in Round 1, reiterating what he said at the start of pre-season. That seems to rule out Macrae, Dale & JOD.
- New senior bodies means we can fill holes which seems to indicate we went with underdone players last year and it didn't work out.
- Potential for newer players to reduce the CBA load on our mainstays
- We used 39/40 players in past years (indicating our successful ones) so I'm gathering we can expect more rotation of players at the selection table this year

In some ways it's what Woofers have been asking for the past couple of years.

josie
12-03-2024, 06:44 PM
Gee Bevo was as open in this morning's press conference as I can remember.
- No underdone players in Round 1, reiterating what he said at the start of pre-season. That seems to rule out Macrae, Dale & JOD.
- New senior bodies means we can fill holes which seems to indicate we went with underdone players last year and it didn't work out.
- Potential for newer players to reduce the CBA load on our mainstays
- We used 39/40 players in past years (indicating our successful ones) so I'm gathering we can expect more rotation of players at the selection table this year

In some ways it's what Woofers have been asking for the past couple of years.

Thanks for summary Mofra, appreciated.

Pleather Sole
12-03-2024, 06:54 PM
Medical room report just uploaded. JOD, VDM & Dale all listed as "Test" as expected. ie all unlikely for mine, plus Macrae out due to being underdone (but not listed as injured)

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1504296/medical-room-round-1

azabob
12-03-2024, 06:55 PM
Great stuff, thanks for posting BAD.

I get the feeling Harmes is going to be a much loved and respected team mate very quickly. And Libba is going to love having someone who is willing to fly the flag even faster than he does!

Spot on call with Harmes.

He is exactly what we need. Woofers swallow some pride and get on board.

bulldogtragic
12-03-2024, 08:36 PM
Fox saying Macrae will 100% not play. Daniel might not either.

bulldogtragic
12-03-2024, 08:41 PM
Also said some players think Bevo likes his new toys. So a few guys thinking they’re on the e fringes and that Coff, Bramble & Harmes C will get good games coming.

angelopetraglia
12-03-2024, 08:43 PM
Swamp

2024 is the 100th season for WBD in the V/@AFL competition
The oldest side that WBD has put on the park in a V/@AFL game had an average age of 27 years 213 days
It was in their first game - 1925 R01 v MELB

Mofra
12-03-2024, 09:21 PM
Also said some players think Bevo likes his new toys. So a few guys thinking they?re on the e fringes and that Coff, Bramble & Harmes C will get good games coming.
In a way, isn't that good? If we're bringing in senior guys, it has to be with a specific role in mind.

mighty_west
12-03-2024, 09:41 PM
Spot on call with Harmes.

He is exactly what we need. Woofers swallow some pride and get on board.

No swallowing pride for me, as soon as a player walks through the doors i'm supporting him 100%, yep even if we landed Toby, whatever makes our team better i'm all for it.

After hearing Bevo and seeing him all freshened up i'm pretty damn excited, think we'll actually smash them.

jazzadogs
12-03-2024, 11:08 PM

I think he'll be the sub.

I don't think he should be the sub. But I think he will be the sub.

Dry Rot
13-03-2024, 12:10 AM

What was their reasoning for saying that Daniel might not be playing?

Go_Dogs
13-03-2024, 07:09 AM
What was their reasoning for saying that Daniel might not be playing?

Selection squeeze. They didn’t really validate it. They were trying to make a point that a lot of established Bulldog players are on the nose at selection due to new arrivals and that it wasn’t sitting well with them. They didn’t give any hard evidence to back that up but suggested Macrae might do a Taylor Adams and look to leave at years end as he can’t get a role in his preferred spot (midfield) much like Adams who had to become a high half forward.

Scorlibo
13-03-2024, 12:58 PM
Selection can be a bit overrated in terms of whole team performance - would much rather we focus on creating whole team buy in to a good game plan. However, where selection does really matter is where there is inconsistency and it creates an unsettled group.

Bevo?s said he wants this team to be ?ready? in a physical sense. That?s fine, and does justify to some extent Macrae?s exclusion. Daniel less so. If after a few rounds of dominating the VFL Macrae still doesn?t come into the AFL side I reckon that?s going to play poorly with the playing group.

The trend of favouring mature age recruits is obvious and has worked to our detriment in past years. Bruce and Lobb were both terrible in their first year, but their selection was rarely questioned. It?s good if players want to come to us because they feel they?ll get opportunity but I wonder if that approach will come back to bite us. Similar to organisations that favour outside hires for senior positions, it can create a culture where existing employees feel there isn?t room for growth.

Go_Dogs
13-03-2024, 01:18 PM
Selection can be a bit overrated in terms of whole team performance - would much rather we focus on creating whole team buy in to a good game plan. However, where selection does really matter is where there is inconsistency and it creates an unsettled group.

Bevo?s said he wants this team to be ?ready? in a physical sense. That?s fine, and does justify to some extent Macrae?s exclusion. Daniel less so. If after a few rounds of dominating the VFL Macrae still doesn?t come into the AFL side I reckon that?s going to play poorly with the playing group.

The trend of favouring mature age recruits is obvious and has worked to our detriment in past years. Bruce and Lobb were both terrible in their first year, but their selection was rarely questioned. It?s good if players want to come to us because they feel they?ll get opportunity but I wonder if that approach will come back to bite us. Similar to organisations that favour outside hires for senior positions, it can create a culture where existing employees feel there isn?t room for growth.

To be fair Lobb was dropped, and historically Bevo has always brought players like Macrae straight back in after an injury lay off.

I think picking players who have done all the training blocks for round one sends a strong message to everyone. Making sure we reward good form, and get players back into the VFL when their senior form wanes, will need to occur during the season to make sure the new mantra hangs together for the entire group.

Agree on Daniel. I just don’t see how he misses out. The media are running strongly with it over the last few weeks though.

G-Mo77
13-03-2024, 03:05 PM
Daniel is the one that has got my back up. If he's not selected it's piss poor. Don't try and change my mind. If you can't find a spot for a healthy Caleb Daniel in your team you have got problems. He's a walk up starter at any other team in this league.

Happy Days
13-03-2024, 03:41 PM
Daniel is the one that has got my back up. If he's not selected it's piss poor. Don't try and change my mind. If you can't find a spot for a healthy Caleb Daniel in your team you have got problems. He's a walk up starter at any other team in this league.

I can’t figure it out either. No way that he’s not offering more than Bramble or Gallagher, either in general or in the roles those guys have been tabbed for.

GVGjr
13-03-2024, 04:05 PM
I can’t figure it out either. No way that he’s not offering more than Bramble or Gallagher, either in general or in the roles those guys have been tabbed for.

He's certainly a far better footballer than both of those boys but he hasn't really trained as a defender this preseason at all nor have I seen him more than once or twice on a wing. I think he plays but his form hasn't exactly been knocking the door down.

Grantysghost
13-03-2024, 04:08 PM

I think he will be the sub G-Mo.

Where do you think we can play him now and who would you swap him for?

There seems to be a school of thought that he can be easily exploited in defence by dragging him deep. Hence Bramble.

I would back our guys to work it out to free him up and play him in a back pocket.

bulldogfan
13-03-2024, 04:15 PM
Do you guys think sanders will still debut or not ?

GVGjr
13-03-2024, 04:18 PM

100% he will play unless he's copped an injury that we aren't aware of yet.

Grantysghost
13-03-2024, 04:20 PM

I'd say there will be announcement soon; he will definitely play. Bevo is in love with him!

bornadog
13-03-2024, 04:29 PM
I'd say there will be announcement soon; he will definitely play. Bevo is in love with him!

Who isn't

Pleather Sole
13-03-2024, 05:34 PM

I can?t figure it out either. No way that he?s not offering more than Bramble or Gallagher, either in general or in the roles those guys have been tabbed for.

Agreed, he can play any position except ruck. Named on the bench, goes anywhere he's needed. Awesome accurate kick, cool head. I think he'll be named, maybe its just a little mind game to remind the senior players they can't rest on their laurels.

MrMahatma
13-03-2024, 05:55 PM
I guess we'll wait and see what the team is and then comment on who is in and out.

The stuff in the media about Bevo "having favourites", or at least giving new recruits a strong early run at selection, is interesting. I mean, it's true also. But he can also go off guys pretty quick. Fox mentioned Trengove getting a sustained run (which I'd say he earnt), but gee Bevo went off him when he went off him.

That said, surely mature recruits should only be brought over if they can play immediately?

Pleather Sole
13-03-2024, 06:08 PM
These are the 23 I want, not necessarily the 23 I'll get.

Coffield, L Jones, JJ
Bramble, Red W&B, Buku
Harmes, Sanders, Adz
Artie, Naughts, West
Darcy, Marra, Cody
Anglais, Le Bont, De Libba
I/C Helmut, Gallahad, JOD, Bakes
Sub Truck
NB I know Darcy might not have a full game in minutes but he's better than Lobb who has half the talent & committment, Bont can go forward for a spell if needed, Cody goes in the guts, Sam has a massage.

G-Mo77
13-03-2024, 07:13 PM
I think he will be the sub G-Mo.

Where do you think we can play him now and who would you swap him for?

There seems to be a school of thought that he can be easily exploited in defence by dragging him deep. Hence Bramble.

I would back our guys to work it out to free him up and play him in a back pocket.

I'll answer that question with another question mate. :)

Where can't he play and who do you have ahead of him?

Not many positions he can't play apart from the obvious key positioning spots on the ground and not too many ahead of him either. I hope this is just speculation from media types but if his position is under threat I am gravely concerned already.

Grantysghost
13-03-2024, 07:19 PM
I'll answer that question with another question mate. :)

Where can't he play and who do you have ahead of him?

Not many positions he can't play apart from the obvious key positioning spots on the ground and not too many ahead of him either. I hope this is just speculation from media types but if his position is under threat I am gravely concerned already.

I really want him in the side too.

I don't think he's that good on the wing or forward. Coming out of defence is where I see his benefit to the team. Speed might be the issue? Daicos has almost changed the game with the way he plays.

Rocco Jones
13-03-2024, 10:04 PM
My guess at what we will get:

Ed, L.Jones, Coff
JJ, Buku, Doc
Sanders, Adz, Gags
Westy, Naughts, McNeil
Cody, Marra, Lobb
English, Bont, Libba
Harmes, Bramble, Dale, Vanders

Grantysghost
13-03-2024, 10:19 PM
My guess at what we will get:

Ed, L.Jones, Coff
JJ, Buku, Doc
Sanders, Adz, Gags
Westy, Naughts, McNeil
Cody, Marra, Lobb
English, Bont, Libba
Harmes, Bramble, Dale, Vanders

If Duryea plays I'll spew up R to the Occo.

Buku for JOD for mine.

jazzadogs
13-03-2024, 10:49 PM
He's certainly a far better footballer than both of those boys but he hasn't really trained as a defender this preseason at all nor have I seen him more than once or twice on a wing. I think he plays but his form hasn't exactly been knocking the door down.

I think that's a failure of the coaches then, tbh. He is an excellent footballer and they should have identified a role that he can fill in the best 23.

G do you seem as competing with Harmes, Sanders, Macrae for the second mid rotation...or more with West, McNeill, VDM, Cody for the small forward role?

It's hard to believe that we wouldn't try to teach him the wing role when he has so many attributes to play it well.

GVGjr
13-03-2024, 11:46 PM
I think that's a failure of the coaches then, tbh. He is an excellent footballer and they should have identified a role that he can fill in the best 23.

G do you seem as competing with Harmes, Sanders, Macrae for the second mid rotation...or more with West, McNeill, VDM, Cody for the small forward role?

It's hard to believe that we wouldn't try to teach him the wing role when he has so many attributes to play it well.

I'm sure I posed a couple of questions over the preseason about where he fits in for us now and perhaps the original plan was for him to back up Bont, Libba, Treloar and Macrae in the midfield and contribute around the forward line but Sanders came in and just impressed early on and while Macrae's form dropped Harmes looked a better option for us in the midfield.
The all of a sudden the likes of McNeil and West started to flourish up forward and Daniel hasn't looked his normally potent self.
He trained well on Tuesday and I suspect he plays but it's likely that we seem him play more off the bench if he is selected.
The problem is that he isn't quick and that has been our focus for our smaller forwards.

Pleather Sole
14-03-2024, 12:51 AM
I'm sure I posed a couple of questions over the preseason about where he fits in for us now and perhaps the original plan was for him to back up Bont, Libba, Treloar and Macrae in the midfield and contribute around the forward line but Sanders came in and just impressed early on and while Macrae's form dropped Harmes looked a better option for us in the midfield.
The all of a sudden the likes of McNeil and West started to flourish up forward and Daniel hasn't looked his normally potent self.
He trained well on Tuesday and I suspect he plays but it's likely that we seem him play more off the bench if he is selected.
The problem is that he isn't quick and that has been our focus for our smaller forwards.

Has McNeill really excelled or are we just really surprised that he's improved? I don't mean to be nasty or discredit McNeill 2.0. He's gone from an average player, sub role quite a bit (iirc) to being delisted and re-rookified and having his best pre-season.

PR0408
14-03-2024, 12:58 AM
100% he will play unless he's copped an injury that we aren't aware of yet.

Possible injury for sanders I?m hearing. Hopefully not true but you will be able to let us all know tomorrow if he is on the track or not.

PR0408
14-03-2024, 01:04 AM
Possible injury for sanders I?m hearing. Hopefully not true but you will be able to let us all know tomorrow if he is on the track or not.

Patience is key. Especially more so for the small
Fwd role. Easily the toughest position to play and if you look back at some of the best in that role 22/23 is when they start to play as they belong. Cyril and kosi two exceptions.

hujsh
14-03-2024, 12:54 PM
Bolded are my locks, italicized are guys who seem very likely to play (eg trade ins) or have shown really good form (West and Sanders)

Dale

Jones
JJ

Coffield
JOD

Richards

Gallager
Libba

Williams

Sanders
Naughton
Harmes

Lobb

JUH
Cody

English

Bont
Treloar

West
Khamis
Daniel
Macrae

Bramble/Dureya
Scott/McNeil

Sub: Scott (versatility) or Bramble (pace/run)

Let's try again with what we know now

Dale
Jones
JJ

Coffield
JOD
Richards

Gallager
Libba
Williams

Sanders
Naughton
Harmes

Lobb
JUH
Cody

English
Bont
Treloar

West
Bramble
Daniel
Khamis

McNeil

In my heart Daniel plays but I'm pretty sure we'll see McNeil play with Daniel the sub. The other option is they both play, JOD misses as not being part of the 'most fit and ready round 1 team ever' or whatever the specific wording was, and Scott becomes the sub. Khamis to handle the 2nd tall (Schache?)

Axe Man
14-03-2024, 12:58 PM
My entry for the website competition to select the 23:

Defenders: Jones, Richards, Bramble, JJ, Coffield, O'Donnell

Mids: English, Bont, Libba, Treloar, Williams, Gallagher

Forwards: Jamarra, Lobb, Naughton, West, Weightman, McNeil

Bench: Sanders, Dale, Harmes, Daniel, Vandermeer

Bound to get 1 or 2 wrong.

GVGjr
14-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Perhaps JOD the longshot Axe

bornadog
14-03-2024, 02:09 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GImIPHwbIAAw89X?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GImIPHuakAAQN_R?format=jpg&name=large

Scorlibo
14-03-2024, 02:16 PM
Did Bailey Dale play VFL? Given Bevo's talk around being physically ready, on what basis would Dale or O'Donnell be considered while Macrae misses?

azabob
14-03-2024, 02:24 PM
Bevo has coined Sanders “The Sandman”

A lot better than that KFC rubbish

Grantysghost
14-03-2024, 02:24 PM
Did Bailey Dale play VFL? Given Bevo's talk around being physically ready, on what basis would Dale or O'Donnell be considered while Macrae misses?
JOD got through the VFL game and looked good.

Dale did not play, i doubt he will be selected.

bornadog
14-03-2024, 02:25 PM
JOD got through the VFL game and looked good.

Dale did not play, i doubt he will be selected.

JOD may have to play as we only have Jones and Buku as our talls in the backline. Will depend on who comes in for Melbourne

ledge
14-03-2024, 02:30 PM
What’s that make it , 5 new players ?
Thats a big change.

EasternWest
14-03-2024, 02:36 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GImIPHwbIAAw89X?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GImIPHuakAAQN_R?format=jpg&name=large

I like it.

Axe Man
14-03-2024, 02:53 PM

Macrae was out for longer with his hamstring than Dale with his or JOD with his ankle. Remains to be seen whether Dale and JOD are selected but there is a case as both are likely more physically ready than Macrae.

Grantysghost
14-03-2024, 07:25 PM
Melbourne v Western Bulldogs
Sunday, 17 March, 1:00pm AEDT
MCG, Melbourne • Wurundjeri
Broadcast: Fox Footy/Kayo
B: Lachie Bramble, Liam Jones, Nick Coffield
HB: Ed Richards, Buku Khamis, Bailey Dale
C: James Harmes, Tom Liberatore, Harvey Gallagher
HF: Ryley Sanders, Rory Lobb, Cody Weightman
F: Rhylee West, Aaron Naughton, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar
INT: Laitham Vandermeer, Caleb Daniel, Sam Darcy, Oskar Baker, Jason Johannisen, James O’Donnell, Lachlan McNeil, Bailey Williams

Grantysghost
14-03-2024, 07:26 PM
No Duryea. Dale in.

Buku named on field.

hujsh
14-03-2024, 07:39 PM
MCG, Melbourne ? Wurundjeri
INT: Laitham Vandermeer, Caleb Daniel, Sam Darcy, Oskar Baker, Jason Johannisen, James O?Donnell, Lachlan McNeil, Bailey Williams

Any chance JJ misses? Wasn't amazing in the praccy games to my eye. I'd probably have JJ, JOD, Daniel and Williams from the bench though could see McNeil taking the spot of Williams or Daniel (and same with Vandermeer given how much the MC seem to love him)

DOG GOD
14-03-2024, 08:07 PM
Geez that backline looks worrying. “Hairspray” Will lick his lips.

Testekill
14-03-2024, 08:33 PM
If I had to guess our bench will be Daniel, JJ, Williams, McNeil and Baker or Vandermeer as sub.

jeemak
14-03-2024, 09:11 PM
Very different complexion to the side.

Here goes I guess!

Jeanette54
14-03-2024, 09:24 PM
Lachy McNeill must feel unlucky not to be named in the starting 22 after his form in the lead up games. Not too sure about Buku at CHB, he will need a hand from an interceptor I would think.

PS: My tip for next week: Jack Macrae to return to the side, we will regret his absence.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2024, 09:30 PM
Don’t mind that selected side.

My guess is CD/JOD/VDM for the final two spots, one of them a sub. I think we probably go with the two running players, just a matter of who dons the vest. Maybe VDM given he’s had a lighter week? Not sure.

azabob
14-03-2024, 09:35 PM
No Duryea. Dale in.

Buku named on field.

Well done GG? you got your man.

jeemak
14-03-2024, 09:46 PM
Lachy McNeill must feel unlucky not to be named in the starting 22 after his form in the lead up games. Not too sure about Buku at CHB, he will need a hand from an interceptor I would think.

PS: My tip for next week: Jack Macrae to return to the side, we will regret his absence.

That would be awkward if he was supposed to be the interceptor!

FrediKanoute
15-03-2024, 12:58 AM
Would we consider a tall as a sub? Could then have 4 running players on the bench, with the tall as an emergency if a tall goes down or we want to stretch them late in the game?

GVGjr
15-03-2024, 08:46 AM
Would we consider a tall as a sub? Could then have 4 running players on the bench, with the tall as an emergency if a tall goes down or we want to stretch them late in the game?

Perhaps O'Donnell could slot into the sub role.

Axe Man
15-03-2024, 10:15 AM

It would require a large change in philosophy, I can't remember us have a tall as the sub too many times, if ever?

GVGjr
15-03-2024, 10:23 AM
It would require a large change in philosophy, I can't remember us have a tall as the sub too many times, if ever?

I agree it would be a bold ploy. I think Brisbane have done it with Fort a couple of times but most clubs prefer the more ground level type players.

lemmon
15-03-2024, 10:32 AM

I think if we did go that way (though I agree that it won't happen), I'd prefer it to be Darcy. I don't see how JOD changes a game if we're three-goals down at quarter time.

Darcy provides a bunch of options in that slot - he can sub in for a struggling key forward or re-shape the forward line entirely, he can come in as fresh legs to stretch Gawn in the fourth playing as a ruck or he can slot into the backline as an intercepting tall if needed.

I don't think it'll happen and I imagine it'll be Laith, but I think there are potentially big rewards (and risks) if we did give that a go with Darcy. We've seen him swing a game against Hawthorn with a late burst, so has it in him.

bornadog
15-03-2024, 10:39 AM
My bench

Daniel, JJ, Williams, VDM, McNeil

Critter
15-03-2024, 11:50 AM
JOD and JJ must play. Can raffle the rest. There is no way I want us to go into a game with Buku as our only KPD apart from Liam Jones.

Axe Man
15-03-2024, 12:07 PM
JOD and JJ must play. Can raffle the rest. There is no way I want us to go into a game with Buku as our only KPD apart from Liam Jones.

Kretiuk played KPD and was only 184cm, the entire named backline apart from Bramble are taller than that. :D

Seriously though it depends on what Melbourne's final team is. They have Fullarton, McDonald and Brown named on the extended bench, do they play 1 or 2 of those?

Critter
15-03-2024, 12:24 PM
The natural hunting ground of the Critter was Matthew Lloyd's gloved right hand ... or when the ball hit the ground. Buku has challenges when the ball hits the ground. We need insurance.

bornadog
15-03-2024, 12:28 PM
The natural hunting ground of the Critter was Matthew Lloyd's gloved right hand ... or when the ball hit the ground. Buku has challenges when the ball hits the ground. We need insurance.

Who will Buku play on?
Who will Jones play on?

Axe Man
15-03-2024, 12:42 PM
Who will Buku play on?
Who will Jones play on?

Hard to say when we don't know which tall forwards they are going to field outside Van Rooyen.

Bullies
15-03-2024, 02:26 PM
Kretiuk played KPD and was only 184cm, the entire named backline apart from Bramble are taller than that. :D

Seriously though it depends on what Melbourne's final team is. They have Fullarton, McDonald and Brown named on the extended bench, do they play 1 or 2 of those? Kretiuk knew how to defend. The problem i see with Buku after watching him down back is he does not. No issue if he was a floating defender but man on man he has no touch and awareness.

Bullies
15-03-2024, 02:29 PM
It would require a large change in philosophy, I can't remember us have a tall as the sub too many times, if ever? JOD is quite deceiving with his pace and could even play on the wing and make a difference when he does come on.

mjp
15-03-2024, 03:21 PM
Hard to say when we don't know which tall forwards they are going to field outside Van Rooyen.

Jones will take the deepest and the match-ups will change as the players roll-up and back.

Axe Man
15-03-2024, 03:56 PM
JOD is quite deceiving with his pace and could even play on the wing and make a difference when he does come on.

JOD is incredibly inexperienced. We saw when he played forward he didn't really know what to do and wing is tough and specialist position to play. Not in a million years would I put JOD onto a wing when he has no experience playing there.

He is still very raw and needs to stick to learning his defensive craft.

Besides all that I wasn't arguing one way or another, just stating the fact we never have a tall as the sub.

Axe Man
15-03-2024, 03:57 PM
Jones will take the deepest and the match-ups will change as the players roll-up and back.

True. As supporters we sometimes get too hung up on matchups when often they are quite fluid during games.

mjp
15-03-2024, 04:03 PM
True. As supporters we sometimes get too hung up on matchups when often they are quite fluid during games.

...but maybe just SOMETIMES they shouldn't be.

Melbourne with Van Rooyen and (based on last week 'cos I haven't looked at their team) Schache....we should be able to float between them SURELY!!

bornadog
15-03-2024, 04:07 PM

Melbourne with Van Rooyen and (based on last week 'cos I haven't looked at their team) Schache....we should be able to float between them SURELY!!

Schache dropped

Axe Man
15-03-2024, 04:10 PM

As I mentioned on the previous page they have Fullarton, McDonald and Brown on their extended bench in addition to Van Rooyen. I guess 1 or 2 of those 3 play.

mjp
15-03-2024, 05:26 PM
As I mentioned on the previous page they have Fullarton, McDonald and Brown on their extended bench in addition to Van Rooyen. I guess 1 or 2 of those 3 play.

I think you are underestimating how lazy I am. I hit the 'new posts' button and look at the last page of any updated threads...

Brown is a good player but cannot stay fit. If he is fit, he will need a strong opponent.

Happy Days
15-03-2024, 05:34 PM
I think you are underestimating how lazy I am. I hit the 'new posts' button and look at the last page of any updated threads...

Brown is a good player but cannot stay fit. If he is fit, he will need a strong opponent.

It’s only taken like 15 years and 8000 post but finally MJP misses.

Sedat
15-03-2024, 05:43 PM
I guess there is some sort of skill to winning free kicks purely because you are unco

bornadog
15-03-2024, 06:02 PM
Team locked in:

Bench: Jason Johannisen,[23] Laitham Vandermeer,[34] Bailey Williams,[35] Caleb Daniel,[30] Lachlan McNeil

Grantysghost
15-03-2024, 06:04 PM
MCG, Melbourne • Wurundjeri
INT: Laitham Vandermeer, Caleb Daniel, Jason Johannisen, Lachlan McNeil, Bailey Williams
EMG: Sam Darcy, Oskar Baker, James O'Donnell

mjp
15-03-2024, 06:04 PM

He's kicked more goals in a season than anyone we've got! Or anyone we've had recently. I get that his glory days are in the rear view mirror, but he knows how to get the job done and I think you can mark him down for 2 every outing. You can't say that about the alternatives.

I totally understand the scepticism re- Brown - he has just been too unreliable/broken over the past 4 seasons - but if you want me to tell you who I would prefer to see running out Sunday Brown is not the answer...he leads out, can take a mark and does kick goals.

Grantysghost
15-03-2024, 06:05 PM
Backing Buku. Big call after a year forward.

Alert not alarmed.

bornadog
15-03-2024, 06:05 PM
Ben Brown and Tom McDonald in for Melbourne

mjp
15-03-2024, 06:06 PM
Team locked in:

Bench: Jason Johannisen,[23] Laitham Vandermeer,[34] Bailey Williams,[35] Caleb Daniel,[30] Lachlan McNeil

So...our bench consists of 4x small-medium defenders and Lachie McNeil?

Please explain!!

Grantysghost
15-03-2024, 06:07 PM
He's kicked more goals in a season than anyone we've got! Or anyone we've had recently. I get that his glory days are in the rear view mirror, but he knows how to get the job done and I think you can mark him down for 2 every outing. You can't say that about the alternatives.

I totally understand the scepticism re- Brown - he has just been too unreliable/broken over the past 4 seasons - but if you want me to tell you who I would prefer to see running out Sunday Brown is not the answer...he leads out, can take a mark and does kick goals.
Hes the type to do a Majak Daw and kick a massive bag against us.

mjp
15-03-2024, 06:09 PM

Van Rooyen as well?

So...3x tall forwards?

I'm really confused by selections this week.

Grantysghost
15-03-2024, 06:11 PM
Our defence looks way too small, why wouldn't we play JOD.
He got through the full VFL game (100 mins) in crazy heat and was impressive to me.
Buku has played one practice match back after a year forward.

Do we see a late change?

hujsh
15-03-2024, 06:13 PM
Backing Buku. Big call after a year forward.

Alert not alarmed.

He's trained as part of BAD's Boys as GVGjr puts it in his reports so he's got to be somewhat used to dealing with the likes of Naughton, Jamarra and Lobb. If he can deal with the likes of those 3 (for quality and variety) he must be doing well enough to back here

Axe Man
15-03-2024, 06:14 PM

Please explain!!

JJ is the only one that will play as a defender. Vandermeer forward, Williams wing, Caleb mid/forward.

Van Rooyen as well?

So...3x tall forwards?

Would McDonald play back? Melbourne only have 2 KPDs v our 3 KPFs.

Grantysghost
15-03-2024, 06:15 PM
He's trained as part of BAD's Boys as GVGjr puts it in his reports so he's got to be somewhat used to dealing with the likes of Naughton, Jamarra and Lobb. If he can deal with the likes of those 3 (for quality and variety) he must be doing well enough to back here

Fair call.

Go buku i say whilst biting my nails.

MrMahatma
15-03-2024, 06:20 PM

Possibly. Brown has the turning circle of a city bus being towed by a jumbo jet, so if they go too tall up front we should be OK if we can get the ball to ground.

Critter
15-03-2024, 06:22 PM
I'm more worried than I was at 4:59.

mjp
15-03-2024, 06:32 PM
JJ is the only one that will play as a defender. Vandermeer forward, Williams wing, Caleb mid/forward.

Aha.

But Vandermeer > back than forward.
Daniel AA Back.
Williams made his name as a back.
JJ is a back.

Potentially but I think they'll go the other way...try and make Coffield take one rather than allow him to become a drop off.

I don't think they're worried about our forward line. No insight here, just going on history. They think they're better than us and the plan will be:

Smash them up around the ball, they will wilt.
Overwhelm them with inside 50's - they will make mistakes and we will score goals.

angelopetraglia
15-03-2024, 06:33 PM
It is going to be a hot and sunny day. So run and fitness is going to be important, especially as the game goes on. It looks like they have gone with the option to cater to that rather than play another tall.

GVGjr
15-03-2024, 06:34 PM

Please explain!!

Daniel hasn't been used in the back line all summer, I really doubt he gets played there unless it's falling apart for us.
Vandermeer has been training with the forwards pretty much all summer but did get a run in the back line in that brief match sim on Thursday.
Williams is a winger and I haven't seen him in the back line at all.

mjp
15-03-2024, 06:36 PM
I'm more worried than I was at 4:59.

Happily, it's only 2:32pm!

weltschmerz
15-03-2024, 06:37 PM
Van Rooyen as well?

So...3x tall forwards?

I think McDonald plays back. They've got May to play on Naughton and Lever on JUH, but nobody who can man someone as big as Lobb.

DOG GOD
15-03-2024, 06:38 PM
Aha.

But Vandermeer > back than forward.
Daniel AA Back.
Williams made his name as a back.
JJ is a back.

Potentially but I think they'll go the other way...try and make Coffield take one rather than allow him to become a drop off.

I don't think they're worried about our forward line. No insight here, just going on history. They think they're better than us and the plan will be:

Smash them up around the ball, they will wilt.
Overwhelm them with inside 50's - they will make mistakes and we will score goals.

And I think that’s what will happen. I’m expecting Petracca, Viney and Oliver to run amok and give Brown and Fritsch plenty of opportunities, and we know Fritsch only needs 5 kicks to kick 5 goals. If Brown gets a run at it, none of our backman will stop him marking. I’m more worried about our backline than I was this morning (and I was very worried then).
If Melb really dominate the clearances, it could get ugly.

weltschmerz
15-03-2024, 06:39 PM
Bramble seems to be taking on Duryea's role as Duryea slows down. We definitely need a defender with the pace to sit on Pickett, and Richards might need to play on Fritsch.

angelopetraglia
15-03-2024, 06:40 PM

Are they just replacements for Shaq (Brown's height) and Tomlinson (Tom's height)?

angelopetraglia
15-03-2024, 06:45 PM
Van Rooyen as well?

So...3x tall forwards?

Van Rooyen is *only* 193cm.

Coffield is 191cm. Richards is 188cm. Bailey Williams is 189cm. They must think they have it covered.

However, if you look at the side, only Liam Jones is a real KPD at 198cm. Even Khamis is only 190cm. I know there is more to playing KPD besides height when you take into consdieration leap and aerial ability.

dog town
15-03-2024, 06:46 PM
Melbourne supporters absolutely seething that McDonald and Brown have been rushed back.

FWIW McDonald has played back all pre-season apart from one game. Think he is the Tomlinson replacement this week but they certainly appear to have the option of stretching us.

GVGjr
15-03-2024, 06:56 PM
Van Rooyen is *only* 193cm.

Coffield is 191cm. Richards is 188cm. Bailey Williams is 189cm. They must think they have it covered.

However, if you look at the side, only Liam Jones is a real KPD at 198cm. Even Khamis is only 190cm. I know there is more to playing KPD besides height when you take into consdieration leap and aerial ability.

I agree with this. I don't quite understand the fascination many have with defenders needing to be very tall. Collingwood had a great season in 23 and had players like the 192cm Nathan Murphy playing FB most weeks.
Jones will be matched on the bigger opposition forwards and we will add in JOD in the next could of weeks.
Our back line will be tall enough this week.

The Swans are rated highly and don't have a tall back line.
Richmond's back line was small last night and matched against McKay and Curnow and they went within a kick of winning the game

If you are good enough you are likely to be tall enough.

weltschmerz
15-03-2024, 06:58 PM
Melbourne supporters absolutely seething that McDonald and Brown have been rushed back.

FWIW McDonald has played back all pre-season apart from one game. Think he is the Tomlinson replacement this week but they certainly appear to have the option of stretching us.

They do, but that does leave one of Lobb, JUH, or Naughton without a defender on them.

GVGjr
15-03-2024, 07:59 PM
A couple of questions for all WOOFers

Does Macrae's non selection sit well you?
What about if Daniel is named as the sub?

I'll be interested in your thoughts

MrMahatma
15-03-2024, 08:06 PM

I’m fine with the selections if others are:
- picked for a specific role or position
- in better form

I kinda like the concept of picking the best team that covers all the positions, rather than just the next 23 players and making them fit.

That said, those 2 are very good footballers. And not having Caleb play a full match seems weird to me. But will the team be better balanced?

angelopetraglia
15-03-2024, 08:23 PM

The key question for me on Macrae is would he have been in this predicatment if had an injury free preperation. I can see why they would want to ease him back when the last part of this preparation has been interrupted with a leg injury which impacts his ability to cover the ground which they probably already have a question mark over.

Is that the only reason he is missing this week or were they thinking like this before he was injured? That is, that Sanders and options like Harmes had gone past him.