HB: J.McVee 4, A.Tomlinson 20, C.Salem 3
C: E.Langdon 15, C.Petracca 5, T.Rivers 24
HF: J.Viney 7, J.Schache 19, J.van Rooyen 2
F: A.Neal-Bullen 30, B.Fritsch 31, C.Spargo 9
Foll: M.Gawn 11, T.Sparrow 32, C.Oliver 13
I/C: C.Windsor 6, J.Billings 14, B.Laurie 16, J.Bowey 17, K.Chandler 37

Emerg: T.McDonald 25, T.Fullarton 33, T.Woewodin 40

New faces: Caleb Windsor, Jack Billings, Blake Howes
Notable absentees: Lachie Hunter, Shane McAdam, Harrison Petty, Jake Melksham, Kysaiah Pickett

How do you see this game playing out?
Are the Swans as strong as many of the scribes seem to think so or could the Dee's rally against all the distractions they've had over the preseason and beat the Swans on their own dung heap?

Happy Days
06-03-2024, 08:41 PM
So can anyone give me a good reason why this stupid split round is happening?

Grantysghost
06-03-2024, 08:59 PM
Northern states

bornadog
06-03-2024, 09:02 PM
Schache to play second ruck role. Looks like an issue for Melbourne. Grundy v Gawn will be interesting.

I think Sydney may win this, I can't see Melbourne kicking enough goals

Edit - Melbourne to win

GVGjr
06-03-2024, 09:09 PM

Well there are plenty of reasons, ones with any quality reasoning are a light harder to identify.
It's certainly made a complex and unfair fixture process even worse. I was half listening to something on SEN the other day and someone from the AFL mentioned that there is a company in Canada that evaluates how competitions manage their fixtures and the AFL was the most complex but a long way. The major problem is how few grounds we use when compared to most other competitions.

Stevo
06-03-2024, 09:49 PM
I still think Melbourne are a strong side and I'm not convinced the Swans have a good enough forward line line to kick winning scores consistently. Melbourne by 15 points. Gawn vs Grundy will be an interesting contest.

Bulldog Joe
06-03-2024, 09:57 PM
The Sydney side doesn't look overly strong to me.

Melbourne probably win the midfield but both sides look below par forward.

May and Lever probably dominate the Sydney talls, but Melbourne also have little forward power.

Think Petracca and Gawn make the difference.

Jasper
06-03-2024, 10:38 PM
Schache to play second ruck role. Looks like an issue for Melbourne. Grundy v Gawn will be interesting.

This is why I think we have one of the best ruck set-ups in the competition. Lobb is going to be a better back up than Schache and most other makeshift rucks. We lack dome depth without someone like Sweet who had a more mature body than Darcy but if we stay injury free we will have a strong ruck combination.

Eastdog
06-03-2024, 10:39 PM
Will be an interesting match. Will be interesting to see how the Demons go with us to play them next week (Mum vs myself next Sunday). Swans have some outs and the Demons despite the horrid off season are still highly rated.

Dry Rot
07-03-2024, 03:01 PM
Melbourne look to have the edge on the edge in the midfield. Aside from Fritsch, the rest of their forwards look ordinary.

The Swans forward line isn't brilliant, but it isn't too bad either. Papley, Heeney and possibly Hayward would walk straight into our side. Armarty is crap, MacDonald from all accounts is really developing this season and Maclean is underrated.

Grantysghost
07-03-2024, 03:10 PM
Demons looked super sharp v Blues.

I think they'll win.

Happy Days
07-03-2024, 03:21 PM
Yeah anyone considering cultural concerns impacting the Demons needs to consider that they’re an organisation, from the fans to the coaches to most of the players, filled with bad people who do not care at all about this stuff. They’ll be fine right up until the second week of September.

Mantis
07-03-2024, 05:43 PM
The Swans forward line isn't brilliant, but it isn't too bad either. Papley, Heeney and possibly Hayward would walk straight into our side. Armarty is crap, MacDonald from all accounts is really developing this season and Maclean is underrated.

Is it Hayward or Wayward? He makes Naughts look like Plugger.

I guess Sydney have lots of credits for their consistent performances over the past 15-20 years, but I don't rate them at all and really believe we should be finishing well above them on the ladder.

But I guess you can be confident in what you will get in terms of effort from Sydney, which is a little different with us.

Think Melbourne win this one comfortably.

bornadog
07-03-2024, 06:11 PM
My Picks are:

Melbourne
Lions
Suns
Pies, but GWS may surprise.

With a long weekend and no Sunday match, why couldn't the other teams have played each ?? Once more AFL have got it wrong.

Axe Man
07-03-2024, 06:31 PM

Edit - Melbourne to win

Lol. What changed your mind?

Axe Man
07-03-2024, 06:31 PM
My Picks are:

Melbourne
Lions
Suns
Pies, but GWS may surprise.

With a long weekend and no Sunday match, why couldn't the other teams have played each ?? Once more AFL have got it wrong.

GWS are clear favourites so it wouldn't be too much of a surprise.

bornadog
07-03-2024, 06:33 PM
GWS are clear favourites so it wouldn't be too much of a surprise.
May surprise me :D

bornadog
07-03-2024, 06:34 PM

Looking at Sydney's team

G-Mo77
07-03-2024, 09:25 PM
When did Brayshaw die? Tapping his helmet as a tribute, I could throw up. God they're wankers.

jazzadogs
07-03-2024, 09:34 PM
When did Brayshaw die? Tapping his helmet as a tribute, I could throw up. God they're wankers.

Came here to say this. It was the most 'Melbourne' thing since Brayshaw puffing on cigars after the *grand final. They think they're a lot more important than they are.

jeemak
07-03-2024, 09:35 PM
I look forward to a weekend of slippery football with terrible ball handling.

GVGjr
07-03-2024, 09:35 PM
Sydney are a better side than I envisaged but Melbourne have been disappointing so far.

jeemak
07-03-2024, 09:36 PM
Came here to say this. It was the most 'Melbourne' thing since Brayshaw puffing on cigars after the *grand final. They think they're a lot more important than they are.

It's so clear to everyone that they're a massive bunch of wankers.

Eastdog
07-03-2024, 09:38 PM
Terrible night for forwards.

bornadog
07-03-2024, 09:45 PM
Sydney are a better side than I envisaged but Melbourne have been disappointing so far.
Maybe I shouldn't have changed my tips :mad::D

JanLorMill
07-03-2024, 09:57 PM
Not a great spectacle is it?

GVGjr
07-03-2024, 09:58 PM
Not a great spectacle is it?

Really disappointing in terms of watching good football.

Grantysghost
07-03-2024, 10:19 PM
Fritsch is deadly

bornadog
07-03-2024, 10:19 PM
Fritsch hard to stop

The Bulldogs Bite
07-03-2024, 10:41 PM
If they didn't have Fritsch they'd be toothless.

Eastdog
07-03-2024, 10:42 PM
Fritsch hard to stop

Will need to put a lot of work into him next week to curb his influence up forward.

jeemak
07-03-2024, 10:52 PM
The gaslighting about crowds is going to be a theme again. Apparently it's an absolute sell out tonight......

JanLorMill
07-03-2024, 11:00 PM
The only way van rooyen was going to kick one. Commentary make out McVee is a star. Never hear of him before tonight. I hope Melbourne play Schache next week.

hujsh
07-03-2024, 11:02 PM
Been busy so haven't seen the game but good to see Gawn getting beaten up. Hope he's sore next week

GVGjr
07-03-2024, 11:03 PM
There is an ever so slight chance that Melbourne's culture isn't quite near where it needs to be.

Grantysghost
07-03-2024, 11:03 PM
Demons have been horrible.

Grundy done a number on Gawn.

Whats with all the bandaged legs at the Demons? Shunts Lions style.

jazzadogs
07-03-2024, 11:07 PM
English better be taking Gawns space every contest next week, just like Grundy has tonight. It's been an incredibly effective tactic.

Eastdog
07-03-2024, 11:08 PM
Grundy certainly all over Gawn tonight. Hoping Bevo and co are taking some notes tonight watching.

Happy Days
07-03-2024, 11:09 PM
The Dees don’t look fit to be honest. Have been noticeably blown up this quarter and aren’t running hard without the ball at all.

josie
07-03-2024, 11:10 PM
English better be taking Gawns space every contest next week, just like Grundy has tonight. It's been an incredibly effective tactic.

Tuned in 1/2 way through last qtr (forgot game was on). So appreciate this insight-thx Jazzadogs.

whythelongface
07-03-2024, 11:15 PM
I see Billings is playing for the Dees. He got picked before Bont right? 😂 2 possessions for the night.

bornadog
07-03-2024, 11:29 PM

why did I, why

jazzadogs
07-03-2024, 11:56 PM
Tuned in 1/2 way through last qtr (forgot game was on). So appreciate this insight-thx Jazzadogs.

Basically at every centre bounce Grundy just ran straight at where Gawn was and got between him and the ball. Took out any athleticism from Gawn, he was basically stuck to the spot. Towards the end of the match he started being right on the middle line of the circle to try and negate the tactic.

Boundary throw ins were more of a wrestle but Grundy tended to favour front position.

I also missed chunks of the game so if anyone saw differently I'd love to hear it.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-03-2024, 11:59 PM
I see Billings is playing for the Dees. He got picked before Bont right? �� 2 possessions for the night.

Let's just enjoy our good fortune. Plenty of us wanted him at our pick myself included.

Dry Rot
08-03-2024, 12:05 AM
Most of you underrated the Swans. I thought that they would win.

Grundy was terrific. Add in Parker, Mills and Adams, and they will be an interesting side.

Last season, I thought Gawn had lost something and father time was catching up with him. Perhaps tonight might be the start of his slide.

angelopetraglia
08-03-2024, 12:05 AM
Shaq had four touches from 76% game time. Some things never change.

Dry Rot
08-03-2024, 12:46 AM

Sad really. Beaten at every contest. The Swans hardly have a surplus of tall defenders.

Happy Days
08-03-2024, 01:10 AM

I know I can’t believe Melbourne would fail him like that either. All he does is kick goals!

hujsh
08-03-2024, 01:12 AM
I noticed Billings only had 38% game time. That's almost end of career stuff

Dry Rot
08-03-2024, 01:16 AM

Was the sub.

Was shithouse when he was on the field. A much shorter Schache.

Topdog
08-03-2024, 07:17 AM
oh there was a game on last night?

Always good to wake up to Melbourne losing.

G-Mo77
08-03-2024, 07:18 AM

Still better than Bont. :D

FrediKanoute
08-03-2024, 07:32 AM
I didn't watch the game. Hard to get a line on Melbourne and where they are at. Have papered the off field stuff really well, but I think deep down they are an unsettled bunch. We should beat them.

GVGjr
08-03-2024, 08:17 AM
Melbourne could get a bit better after Oliver's successful return but they must be concerned on how that forward line functioned. Pickett returns and that will help but while they've got plenty of talent in their playing list but also have some challenges as well.

I had my doubts with Sydney but understood Longmire teams are always competitive. Their forward line doesn't look that threatening but they have a number of good players coming back over the next few weeks.

Looking forward to seeing GWS and Collingwood.

azabob
08-03-2024, 08:30 AM
Maybe I shouldn't have changed my tips :mad::D

Rule number one of footy tipping.

Grantysghost
08-03-2024, 08:53 AM
Anyone think what Grundy did at the centre bounces was completely unfair?

Has something changed that allows this now as i thought he basically blocked Gawn from fairly competing.
The centre bounce is supposed to be a neutral restarr.

bornadog
08-03-2024, 09:29 AM

Has something changed that allows this now as i thought he basically blocked Gawn from fairly competing.

What about the knee into the side of Gawn at the boundary throw in

bornadog
08-03-2024, 09:29 AM
Rule number one of footy tipping.

Yeah, spot on

Bulldog Joe
08-03-2024, 09:56 AM

I thought Grundy played it smart.

The rules were changed this year and Grundy used that change to take space of Maxie.

I like that it allows rucks to have some tactical nous rather than just favouring the guy who just happens to have the longest reach.

Go_Dogs
08-03-2024, 10:23 AM

The rules were changed this year and Grundy used that change to take space of Maxie.

I like that it allows rucks to have some tactical nous rather than just favouring the guy who just happens to have the longest reach.

What was the rule change?

Thought Melbourne were disappointing last night, which I thought was excellent. Let’s hope they don’t respond next week…

robb
08-03-2024, 10:33 AM
Two things stood out to me re negating Melbournes game plan:

1. Grundy’s tactics in negating Gawn;

2. Sydney’s tactics in negating Lever and their running half backs.

GVGjr
08-03-2024, 10:35 AM

There has been a change of rules and Grundy and the Swans worked out how to best use it. McLean also did okay with it.

Bulldog Joe
08-03-2024, 11:00 AM
What was the rule change?

Thought Melbourne were disappointing last night, which I thought was excellent. Let?s hope they don?t respond next week?

They now permit a straight arm block provided they still contest for the ball.

Allows the ruckman to effetively take the space away from the opponent.

Axe Man
08-03-2024, 11:03 AM
I only watched bits and pieces of the game (amazing comeback from Melbourne United in the NBL, but I digress), but I swear Grundy crossed the centre line just before the ball hit the turf at one centre bounce which should be a free against?

bornadog
08-03-2024, 11:12 AM

I hope English has been practising

Grantysghost
08-03-2024, 11:20 AM

I didn't like it personally, felt illegal for mine.

Why even play a ruckman? Just get a defender in there to block the ruckman.

Axe Man
08-03-2024, 11:27 AM
I can't see English playing the way Grundy did, it's just not his go. However I think it would be wise to have Tim not play too much game time in the ruck so he and Lobb can really work Gawn over since he will obviously ruck a high % himself unless Melbourne have a complete rethink.

Grantysghost
08-03-2024, 11:34 AM
I only watched bits and pieces of the game (amazing comeback from Melbourne United in the NBL, but I digress), but I swear Grundy crossed the centre line just before the ball hit the turf at one centre bounce which should be a free against?
That's why i wondered. He wasn't playing the ball, rather the man. I loved the tactic from a strategy sense, really interesting. Just not sure it was within the rules!
You have to be on your side until it leaves the umpires hand. Be interested to see how well he timed it!

bornadog
08-03-2024, 11:58 AM
That's why i wondered. He wasn't playing the ball, rather the man. I loved the tactic from a strategy sense, really interesting. Just not sure it was within the rules!
You have to be on your side until it leaves the umpires hand. Be interested to see how well he timed it!

I hate the way over the years Grundy gets away with wrestling his opponents, especially at boundary throw ins

Critter
08-03-2024, 12:04 PM
I can't see English playing the way Grundy did, it's just not his go. However I think it would be wise to have Tim not play too much game time in the ruck so he and Lobb can really work Gawn over since he will obviously ruck a high % himself unless Melbourne have a complete rethink.

Agree, I doubt Tim has the physical aggression to do a number on Max. I think Lobb has to play the Banderilleros' role until Max begins to falter and then Tim can come in as matador and deliver the coup de gras.

By the way, I hope Schache is selected again next week.

hujsh
08-03-2024, 12:07 PM
Agree, I doubt Tim has the physical aggression to do a number on Max. I think Lobb has to play the Banderilleros' role until Max begins to falter and then Tim can come in as matador and deliver the coup de gras.

By the way, I hope Schache is selected again next week.

Generally I'd agree but he's also the exact kind of spud to kick 3-5 against us

jeemak
08-03-2024, 12:12 PM
It's a hobby horse of mine, but they only got a little over 80% of capacity to the game and the carry on about the crowd numbers was a bit much.

Melbourne were wasteful early, and didn't seem to run the game out well. I can't see Gawn being tactically outplayed like he was last night for the rest of the year. Tim will need to be on his game to draw level with him.

Sydney finished the game well and have a few to come back. However, it's only round one and as much as the media will want to get carried away with them the jury is still out for me.

Grantysghost
08-03-2024, 01:05 PM
It's a hobby horse of mine, but they only got a little over 80% of capacity to the game and the carry on about the crowd numbers was a bit much.

Melbourne were wasteful early, and didn't seem to run the game out well. I can't see Gawn being tactically outplayed like he was last night for the rest of the year. Tim will need to be on his game to draw level with him.

Sydney finished the game well and have a few to come back. However, it's only round one and as much as the media will want to get carried away with them the jury is still out for me.
Demons missed Pickett's spark I think, bit one paced without him. They will be better with Petty back however jury will be out on his forward work until i see a bit more.
I think McAdam will be a good pick up for them too when he returns, all in all though a very disappointing night for the Demons. Viney played very well.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-03-2024, 01:09 PM
Do Melbourne get anyone back besides Pickett next week?

Happy Days
08-03-2024, 01:15 PM
The ruck should be contested under Kumite/Thunderdome/WWE Hardcore Championship rules. You should have to kill someone in there to get a free.

G-Mo77
08-03-2024, 01:16 PM

Did you go to the NBL game. Really poor timeslot for a regional fan. Anyway I was thinking wasted season with 5 minutes to spare and then boom. Amazing comeback!

Axe Man
08-03-2024, 01:20 PM
Did you go to the NBL game. Really poor timeslot for a regional fan. Anyway I was thinking wasted season with 5 minutes to spare and then boom. Amazing comeback!

No I didn't although friends did from down my way. It was lucky it was half time at the footy otherwise I would have turned it over at 16 points down with about 7? minutes left in the game.

Axe Man
08-03-2024, 01:25 PM
Do Melbourne get anyone back besides Pickett next week?

They could bring in Ben Brown or Tom McDonald if they want but Hunter, McAdam and Petty won't be ready going by their injury report. Bowey could also be out after being subbed off with a shoulder injury.

Link (https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/1500199/injury-report-a-duo-of-demons-available)

Before I Die
08-03-2024, 01:26 PM

So, effectively they?ve removed the Luke Darcy rule. About bloody time. From descriptions of Sam Darcy?s practice game in the ruck, it sounds like Luke has been in his ear. Luke used to dominate with this tactic before they changed the rule.

JanLorMill
08-03-2024, 03:55 PM
Most of you underrated the Swans. I thought that they would win.

Grundy was terrific. Add in Parker, Mills and Adams, and they will be an interesting side.

Last season, I thought Gawn had lost something and father time was catching up with him. Perhaps tonight might be the start of his slide.
Not sure that?s the case. I think most people overrated Melbourne and underrated the influence Grundy would have. Melbourne were woeful. When they had the play early they couldn?t score. They will now probably smash us next week.

JanLorMill
08-03-2024, 04:04 PM
There has been a change of rules and Grundy and the Swans worked out how to best use it. McLean also did okay with it.
What is the new rule? I thought you aren?t allowed to cross until the ump releases the ball. Some were real border line frees.

bornadog
08-03-2024, 04:05 PM
What is the new rule? I thought you aren?t allowed to cross until the ump releases the ball. Some were real border line frees.
this

Allows the ruckman to effectively take the space away from the opponent.

JanLorMill
08-03-2024, 04:11 PM
So, effectively they?ve removed the Luke Darcy rule. About bloody time. From descriptions of Sam Darcy?s practice game in the ruck, it sounds like Luke has been in his ear. Luke used to dominate with this tactic before they changed the rule.
It’s more like removing the Dempsey/Moore rule of separating the rucks with a line.
It was close to a free a lot of the time but it great ruck work by Grundy. To be able target Gawn then compete for the tap was brilliant.
They smashed Gawn all night and at the end he was spent

JanLorMill
08-03-2024, 04:14 PM
this
However you could have done what Grundy was doing last year. Whether he used his elbows or not helped a little maybe but crossing the line early was the difference.

weltschmerz
08-03-2024, 04:33 PM
Really hope it's at least a bit damp when we play Melbourne. They're shit in the wet.

bornadog
08-03-2024, 04:34 PM
I think Brisbane should win easily tonight

mjp
08-03-2024, 05:18 PM
However you could have done what Grundy was doing last year. Whether he used his elbows or not helped a little maybe but crossing the line early was the difference.

Yeah - I'm not understanding how the rule change enabled Grundy in any way yet that seems to be the narrative.

Wasn't the rule change a simple one? Whereas the rucks were only allowed to block/hold position with a 'bent' arm, now they can do it whether their arm is bent or straight (just like in a marking contest). I thought Grundy had simply decided - and he would have had enough practice! - that a run and jump approach vs Gawn would not be successful so he separated Gawn from the contest (physically) and turned it into a bit of a slog.

As for suggestions he crossed the line before the ball was bounced...well. you're not allowed to exit the 10m circle or cross the line into your attacking half before the ball is bounced but I never saw him do that.

Grundy is a good player. I think what happened last night is why so many fans were disappointed he joined Melbourne - rather than joining forces with Gawn, he should have been getting his own band together and taking Gawn on. And (hopefully for him) really impacting vs his old team who quite honestly have no answers for a player of his calibre at his best. He seemed pretty close to his best last night.

Sydney were way better than I thought - no Parker, no Mills, no Adams...against a top 4 side from a year ago and no problems? WOW.

Grantysghost
08-03-2024, 05:27 PM
The only q is whether he crossed the line prior to the ball leaving the umps hands.
Some were close! Who actually monitors that.

JanLorMill
08-03-2024, 05:32 PM
The only q is whether he crossed the line prior to the ball leaving the umps hands.
Some were close! Who actually monitors that.
I’m all for it. Back to the old days.
It was proper ruck work, rather than the tallest guy or best jump winning it.

jDogs
08-03-2024, 05:48 PM
If it was tennis, Grundy may have had one or two foot faults called against him, super close on a couple of occasions... watch them nab someone for it if they try it on in the upcoming games. I thought Gawn looked like a deer in headlights, he had no idea what to do with it. Ironically, he probably could have utilised the new rule and straight armed Grundy when he came charging at him.

Mantis
08-03-2024, 06:20 PM
Sydney were way better than I thought - no Parker, no Mills, no Adams...against a top 4 side from a year ago and no problems? WOW.

I thought last night was more about how inept Melbourne were, rather than how good Sydney was.

The slippery conditions made it difficult for the forwards, but Fritsch was pretty much a one man show in F50 for Melbourne with Schache and Van Rooyen largely spectators.

Melbourne's back half was a battle too, with Salem moved up field, which was a success it was left to Bowey to be the distributor, but when he went off injured they had no one and it was bombs away. Lever looked like he was running in quicksand and Tomlinson looked slow too... May was very good again and we will have to manage our ball use well next week..

mjp
08-03-2024, 06:20 PM
Ironically, he probably could have utilised the new rule and straight armed Grundy when he came charging at him.

Well...maybe not. You MUST contest the ball if you fend and Grundy was working to separate Max from the contest...the speed Grundy was coming in at was really having an impact.

I think Gawn *COULD* try to fend but he's going to have to practice it otherwise he will fend the player but miss the ball...

Grantysghost
08-03-2024, 07:21 PM
I?m all for it. Back to the old days.
It was proper ruck work, rather than the tallest guy or best jump winning it.
Or third man up... The good old days ;)

Bulldog4life
08-03-2024, 07:38 PM

Agree. Reminded me of a version of Moore and Dempsey.

jeemak
08-03-2024, 08:07 PM
Agree. Reminded me of a version of Moore and Dempsey.

What was it that they did?

Mofra
08-03-2024, 08:24 PM
I still really dislike Carlton

jeemak
08-03-2024, 08:29 PM
I still really dislike Carlton

It's amazing how their fans haven't forgotten that they're arseholes after such little success.

JanLorMill
08-03-2024, 08:46 PM
I think it was in a final either late 70s or early 80s North vs Pies where they engaged in wrestle every centre bounce more worried about each other than the ball.

Axe Man
08-03-2024, 09:04 PM
Average effort by Young then, couldn?t out mark or even kill the contest against a much smaller opponent. Cost a goal

Happy Days
08-03-2024, 09:06 PM
Can we steal this “each player gets their own song when they kick a goal” thing? It’s so sick. Cal Ah Chee has Alvvays for his, I hope he kicks 105 this year.

jeemak
08-03-2024, 09:08 PM
Average effort by Young then, couldn?t out mark or even kill the contest against a much smaller opponent. Cost a goal

He's awesome and such bastardry in calling him out for being otherwise won't be tolerated.

I get Carlton don't have Weitering and Walsh, but this is shithouse.

jeemak
08-03-2024, 09:11 PM
First time I'll say it this year, but won't be the last, a ruckman and ambition is the most dangerous combination on a footy field.

Grantysghost
08-03-2024, 09:38 PM
So the Melbourne looking awesome thing was more Carlton being shizen.

azabob
08-03-2024, 09:39 PM
First time I'll say it this year, but won't be the last, a ruckman and ambition is the most dangerous combination on a footy field.

That statement really should’ve been used last year with the whole English, kicking in from a behind thing that happened.

azabob
08-03-2024, 09:40 PM
So the Melbourne looking awesome thing was more Carlton being shizen.

How good is it watching Carlton get destroyed?

azabob
08-03-2024, 09:44 PM
The score review is one of if not the worst thing about the game.

Such a time waste and drainer.

Grantysghost
08-03-2024, 09:44 PM
How good is it watching Carlton get destroyed?
Much joy

jeemak
08-03-2024, 09:54 PM
That statement really should?ve been used last year with the whole English, kicking in from a behind thing that happened.

It probably was. Go back and check it out.

azabob
08-03-2024, 09:57 PM
It probably was. Go back and check it out.

Sounds like a job for the resident narc.. Happy Days you around?

jeemak
08-03-2024, 10:11 PM
He's been subbed off with a leg injury, but at the time I was surprised Coleman's lower leg wasn't snapped in half. Had the potential to be really ugly.

Everyone says we rely on our stars in Libba and Bont too much, but mostly every team - which Carlton is finding out, struggles without its stars.

jDogs
08-03-2024, 10:21 PM
I just came back from the toilet and what the hell happened?!

jeemak
08-03-2024, 10:21 PM
Someone needs to tell Brisbane that only the Bulldogs have multiple goals kicked against them.

jeemak
08-03-2024, 10:26 PM
Everyone says we rely on our stars in Libba and Bont too much, but mostly every team - which Carlton is finding out, struggles without its stars.

I'll leave milk outside on the Peter Balconio (Balcony) tomorrow and see if it doesn't age better than this comment........

Happy Days
08-03-2024, 10:36 PM
Another year another hanger taken on Lewis Young

The Bulldogs Bite
08-03-2024, 10:36 PM
Curnow is a beast. Hate he plays for Carlton but good to watch.

Testekill
08-03-2024, 10:39 PM
This is why I don't rate the Lions. They'll make finals but they won't be threatening, mentally soft.

ratsmac
08-03-2024, 10:49 PM
That was very bulldogs type of quarter from the Lions. Gave up a massive lead and missed some very easy shots at goal.

Testekill
08-03-2024, 11:01 PM
Just saw the Coleman injury, absolutely disgusting impact. Leg almost wrapped around the Carlton players leg.

GVGjr
08-03-2024, 11:03 PM
Just saw the Coleman injury, absolutely disgusting impact. Leg almost wrapped around the Carlton players leg.

Awful to watch.

G-Mo77
08-03-2024, 11:11 PM
I hate this song after someone kicks a goal up there. It's bullshit.

Happy Days
08-03-2024, 11:12 PM
I hate this song after someone kicks a goal up there. It's bullshit.

Why do you hate fun

Happy Days
08-03-2024, 11:12 PM
I would put so much thought into my song.

The Underdog
08-03-2024, 11:22 PM
Nobody nearly does something awesome like Eric Hipwood nearly does.

G-Mo77
08-03-2024, 11:24 PM
Haha. Double middle fingers Lions.

G-Mo77
08-03-2024, 11:25 PM
Why do you hate fun

Fun? I'd hate if we started doing that crap.

Testekill
08-03-2024, 11:26 PM
Nobody nearly does something awesome like Eric Hipwood nearly does.

Isn't he getting like... a shitload of money? Dude has always been awful

hujsh
08-03-2024, 11:27 PM
https://frinkiac.com/gif/S07E12/680713/685551.gif?b64lines=VGhhdCB0ZWFtIHN1cmUgZGlkCiBzdWNrIGxhc3Qg bmlnaHQuIFRoZXkKIGp1c3QgcGxhaW4gc3Vja2VkIQpJJ3ZlIHNlZW4gdGVh bXMgc3VjayBiZWZvcmUgCmJ1dCB0aGV5IHdlcmUgdGhlIHN1Y2tpZXN0IApi dW5jaCBvZiBzdWNrcyAKdGhhdCBldmVyIHN1Y2tlZA==

hujsh
08-03-2024, 11:28 PM
Isn't he getting like... a shitload of money? Dude has always been awful

One day he'll mature and realise his potential. Sure he'll be 32 and in his last AFL game but it'll happen and be worth the wait

The Underdog
08-03-2024, 11:34 PM
One day he'll mature and realise his potential. Sure he'll be 32 and in his last AFL game but it'll happen and be worth the wait

Hey if you need a big mark spilled or a goal missed in a big moment, there’s none better.

chef
08-03-2024, 11:35 PM
Cracking win to the Blues, sadly they are the real deal.

kruder
08-03-2024, 11:58 PM
I was thinking with Walsh and Weitering having significantly interrupted preseasons that the blues might struggling to back up an excellent year. After 10 mins I was then thinking wow maybe they could miss the 8.......

weltschmerz
09-03-2024, 12:07 AM
Bloody awful to see Coleman with a suspected ACL.

Bloody brilliant to see Brisbane choke though.

jeemak
09-03-2024, 12:36 AM
I would put so much thought into my song.

I could see you going niche and winning pseudo intellectual hearts in a low key way, or selling out and really nailing it.

Happy Days
09-03-2024, 12:45 AM
I could see you going niche and winning pseudo intellectual hearts in a low key way, or selling out and really nailing it.

I think it would have to be Stone Cold Steve Austin’s theme song.

Hear that glass, that’s your arse.

jeemak
09-03-2024, 01:05 AM
I think it would have to be Stone Cold Steve Austin’s theme song.

Hear that glass, that’s your arse.

It's the year 2024, and this is what appeals to pseudo intellectuals hidden in footy crowds.

hujsh
09-03-2024, 01:11 AM
It's the year 2024, and this is what appeals to pseudo intellectuals hidden in footy crowds.

Have you ever watched a Super Eyepatch Wolf video? You're not wrong.

jeemak
09-03-2024, 01:13 AM
Have you ever watched a Super Eyepatch Wolf video? You're not wrong.

Yeah, Brad Rito, I know him......

jeemak
09-03-2024, 01:15 AM
33 minutes on the YouTube page introductory video for Super Eyepatch Wolf video is a bit of an ask. If you could just fill me in a bit.

hujsh
09-03-2024, 02:00 AM
33 minutes on the YouTube page introductory video for Super Eyepatch Wolf video is a bit of an ask. If you could just fill me in a bit.

Ahhh I guess the idea is his videos would be appealing to psudointellectuals on some level (they are really good though, sometimes it's about the eldrich horror of Garfield's existence or the journey into hell that comes with buying a Dell, sometimes it's a review of a TV show/anime) but he also has made several videos specifically about wrestling, why he loves it, the strange relationship it creates with the audience. His video 'The unreality of pro wrestling' being a great example. I watched the whole hour and a half and I've never really watched WWE before.

Grantysghost
09-03-2024, 09:04 AM
Dear Lions and undear Josh,

https://i.postimg.cc/s23C1GQP/Screenshot-20240309-080106.png (https://postimages.org/)

Love GG

Testekill
09-03-2024, 10:57 AM
Losing Coleman is huge for the Lions, he gives so much drive off of half back and with McKenna injured and Rich retired they'll have to shuffle the magnets big time.

Happy Days
09-03-2024, 11:05 AM
Dear Lions and undear Josh,

https://i.postimg.cc/s23C1GQP/Screenshot-20240309-080106.png (https://postimages.org/)

Love GG

He really did import some standards up there after all

JanLorMill
09-03-2024, 11:14 AM
Piss poor by Brisbane. 46 up and missed easy chances to be further in front. F50 entry one after the other, Carlton go in once for a goal and the game changes. Signs they aren?t a premiership threat.

The Adelaide Connection
09-03-2024, 12:53 PM
I was out and didn?t see the game, but when I read Coleman had done an ACL and Brisbane coughed up a 40+ lead it gave me acid flashbacks to one of Smith?s ACL?s (the one where he tried to go back on and fell in a heap).

Again, I didn?t watch it but aside the structural interference do you think losing a player like that dents the psyche too?

Side question- do they still do the LARS method, or is that completely out of vogue now?

Bulldog4life
09-03-2024, 01:10 PM

They wrestled every centre bounce. The AFL after that game change the rules.

bornadog
09-03-2024, 01:23 PM
Piss poor by Brisbane. 46 up and missed easy chances to be further in front. F50 entry one after the other, Carlton go in once for a goal and the game changes. Signs they aren't a premiership threat.

I only watched the last quarter, but the long bombs into the F50 (sounds familiar), didn't work as they had no one to mark the ball - Hipwood useless. Carlton also had long bombs but McKay is a contested marker, as is Curnow.

bornadog
09-03-2024, 02:44 PM
Great success so far.:eek:

SCG Capacity 48,000 - attendance 40,000

Gabba Capacity 42,000 - attendance 33,000

jeemak
09-03-2024, 02:56 PM

They've been absolute sell outs BAD. Absolute sell outs.

MrMahatma
09-03-2024, 02:58 PM

The Gabba numbers always surprise me. Capacity used to be 42k but is more like 36k now cause they put in scoreboards and more corporate spots. But there were no tickets available for this match so how they only get 33k is odd.

Prince Imperial
09-03-2024, 03:18 PM
The Gabba numbers always surprise me. Capacity used to be 42k but is more like 36k now cause they put in scoreboards and more corporate spots. But there were no tickets available for this match so how they only get 33k is odd.

Annual reserved seat holders don't turn up to every game, especially one on a week night.

I sit in a reserved seating area on Level 1 at Marvel and it's often very noticeable how many don't attend each match.

bornadog
09-03-2024, 03:23 PM
They've been absolute sell outs BAD. Absolute sell outs.

Even the ABC News reporting on the Sydney match, started off saying - A sellout crowd saw Sydney blah blah blah

bornadog
09-03-2024, 03:24 PM
The Gabba numbers always surprise me. Capacity used to be 42k but is more like 36k now cause they put in scoreboards and more corporate spots. But there were no tickets available for this match so how they only get 33k is odd.Yeah you are right, just checked and one site says 37k

The Underdog
09-03-2024, 03:27 PM
Even the ABC News reporting on the Sydney match, started off saying - A sellout crowd saw Sydney blah blah blah

There’s NRL games being played in these cities. I honestly don’t get the justification for this round.

JanLorMill
09-03-2024, 03:27 PM
Annual reserved seat holders don't turn up to every game, especially one on a week night.

I sit in a reserved seating area on Level 1 at Marvel and it's often very noticeable how many don't attend each match.
I understand that but 9000 and 8000 in these 2 games?
The definition of sold out is a bit flaky. So There 8K/9K paid Sydney or Brisbane members that didn’t turn up?

bornadog
09-03-2024, 03:31 PM
I understand that but 9000 and 8000 in these 2 games?
The definition of sold out is a bit flaky. So There 8K/9K paid Sydney or Brisbane members that didn’t turn up?

Happens at marvel too, especially Essendon matches

jeemak
09-03-2024, 03:43 PM
I don't even mind the sell out talk, it's a technical term. What I hate being told is there's not a spare seat in the house when there are clearly thousands of spare seats in the house!

It's weird inane bullshit.

Dry Rot
09-03-2024, 04:48 PM
I sort of get why they are opening the season with games in Sydney and Brisbane. Expanding AFL in the northern states is a good thing, and the small clubs get handouts from the AFL from the ever increasing broadcast rights.

However, what I don't understand is why they couldn't have these northern games played during the same opening round and weekend as games played in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth?

chef
09-03-2024, 05:48 PM
Hard to tell if GC is really good or the Tigers are just a bit shit.

Grantysghost
09-03-2024, 06:10 PM
Hard to tell if GC is really good or the Tigers are just a bit shit.
It's a blood bath.

kruder
09-03-2024, 06:19 PM
This is when you find out who were the role players during the premiership era after the retirement of their legends.

Hopper?

chef
09-03-2024, 06:27 PM
Hardwick jumped from the sinking ship at right time.

Critter
09-03-2024, 06:52 PM
I reckon Brandon Ellis has incriminating photos of Dimma.

Virgin-Dog
09-03-2024, 07:25 PM
Hardwick jumped from the sinking ship at right time.
I know it's getting into tinfoil hat territory, but I am 100% certain there was something dodgy happening in the background with the Dimma to Suns move. How does he retire due to "no longer having the energy to be senior coach", then barely more than 2 months later he's signed a 5-year deal at the Suns? Wouldn't surprise me if there's been some under-the-table money moved around in the process

Grantysghost
09-03-2024, 09:06 PM
Docherty with an ACL ouch.

MrMahatma
09-03-2024, 09:46 PM
There’s NRL games being played in these cities. I honestly don’t get the justification for this round.

There’s one on the Gold Coast but none in Brisbane. And Paramatta isn’t really Sydney.

The Underdog
09-03-2024, 10:32 PM
There’s one on the Gold Coast but none in Brisbane. And Paramatta isn’t really Sydney.

Parramatta is close enough to where GWS play. So over the weekend there's games in Parramatta, Gold Coast and Sydney. Sure there may not be direct clashes, but how is this different to any other round of the year and how does it warrant breaking up round one to justify it?
Just more craven AFL justification for stretching the season out for broadcast $$$ and making the fixture more of a hoax than usual.

hujsh
09-03-2024, 10:37 PM
Looking like an even better achievement for Carlton being the only one to beat a Northern team. Might be too much for Collingwood to come back

The Underdog
09-03-2024, 10:40 PM
Looking like an even better achievement for Carlton being the only one to beat a Northern team. Might be too much for Collingwood to come back

GWS defensive structure is insanely good. Even when the Pies had midfield dominance, they were struggling to score goals.
They're also kicking at goal like the Dogs.

bornadog
09-03-2024, 10:43 PM
Tipping shot to bits again at start of season

Grantysghost
09-03-2024, 11:00 PM
Melbourne should have taken a 666 warning on purpose so the ump throws it up and Grundy couldn't step across in time!

Gws look bloody awesome.

kruder
09-03-2024, 11:15 PM
Have we got enough small quick natural players on our list? Just watching tonight we are going to need Gags,Arty,Clarke and O'Driscoll to continue to improve and push for section.

GWS look dangerous indeed.

MrMahatma
09-03-2024, 11:25 PM
Giants foot skills looked really sharp.

They’re legit

Grantysghost
10-03-2024, 07:17 AM
Have we got enough small quick natural players on our list? Just watching tonight we are going to need Gags,Arty,Clarke and O'Driscoll to continue to improve and push for section.

Watching the speed of the game tonight i think its a good observation.
We dont have genuine pace. The Pies and GWS play at a tempo that's next level.

Jasper
10-03-2024, 07:30 AM

From what I understand is there has been a focus on bringing in the likes of McNeil, West and Gallagher to sharpen our running and defensive efforts and I this Gaz mentioned that the new Fitness Boss shared that we had running drills designed to be at a quicker speed. Then have a look at 4 of the 5 players we drafted last year and that their running abilities were a bit of a feature.
We still might not be comparable to some of the other elite running teams but I'd bet we are bridging the gap.

Go_Dogs
10-03-2024, 08:30 AM
From what I understand is there has been a focus on bringing in the likes of McNeil, West and Gallagher to sharpen our running and defensive efforts and I this Gaz mentioned that the new Fitness Boss shared that we had running drills designed to be at a quicker speed. Then have a look at 4 of the 5 players we drafted last year and that their running abilities were a bit of a feature.
We still might not be comparable to some of the other elite running teams but I'd bet we are bridging the gap.

This is spot on.

We’re trying to progress players with more pace and agility into the side (McNeil, West, Cody into the middle, Gags, Arty etc). We’ve also taken a clear focus into the draft to identify players who have those physical capabilities.

To me it feels like we’re in a bit of a transition phase where we’ve had too many similar players plugged into different roles and we’re not quite where we’ll be in another 3-5 years time as the benefits of our draft and trade strategy begin to reflect in the composition of our list and those who are named in the 23 each week.

It becomes one of the interesting questions that is probably better addressed in discussions on the selection table thread, but do we go with Macrae on a wing to fit in one of our long term better players who probably doesn’t have the attributes other sides are favouring, or go with an option like Gags who we won’t get as much from at thjs stage in terms of output, but might move the needle for us sooner if we can get him up to 50 games?

I think it also highlights how the sum of a teams parts can seem so much more when the structure and game plan are being well executed. If you can slow an opposition down, force a turnover and move the ball quickly as a result, it makes you appear faster than you are.

The giants are a tough beat. Green is a sensational player now, and they have an amazing cast of elite players around him with Kelly, Whitfield, Cogs, Greene, etc who are bonafide stars in their own rights too albeit have become “underrated” I feel over recent years. Only a few years ago Kelly was seen as good or better than Bont in many football circles.

G-Mo77
10-03-2024, 10:36 AM
Tipping shot to bits again at start of season

Big fat 0 for me. Good times.

Grantysghost
10-03-2024, 11:08 AM
You went the Tigers?

bornadog
10-03-2024, 11:10 AM

You went the Tigers?

Suns my only winner

Happy Days
10-03-2024, 11:53 AM
I nailed the GWS tip because I’m a genius.

I actually think we match up pretty well into Collingwood because our mid group is so much better at the coal face, which should give us enough first use to at least break even into any quick ball movement they get going the other way.

But GWS. Uh oh. I don’t really see a weakness.

GVGjr
10-03-2024, 11:56 AM
It's actually a sign that it might be one of the most competitive and evenly matched seasons.

Grantysghost
10-03-2024, 12:21 PM
I nailed the GWS tip because I’m a genius.

I actually think we match up pretty well into Collingwood because our mid group is so much better at the coal face, which should give us enough first use to at least break even into any quick ball movement they get going the other way.

But GWS. Uh oh. I don’t really see a weakness.
Especially with Hogan looking like he might finally fulfill his vast potential.
He looks fit and hungry, some of his work as the first option out of defence working up the ground was sublime.

Happy Days
10-03-2024, 12:35 PM
He looks fit and hungry, some of his work as the first option out of defence working up the ground was sublime.

I never sold my Hogan stock. For once you can actually check post histories on that.

comrade
10-03-2024, 12:54 PM
**** GWS. They?ve lived off first round picks and academy bargains since day 1, they should be dominating.

MrMahatma
10-03-2024, 01:31 PM

Can kick straight too. A natural.

Grantysghost
10-03-2024, 05:18 PM
**** GWS. They?ve lived off first round picks and academy bargains since day 1, they should be dominating.
Ah missed ya comrade good to hear from you. Hope things are good in Ballarat. Agree they should be good.

Scorlibo
10-03-2024, 05:33 PM
I sort of get why they are opening the season with games in Sydney and Brisbane. Expanding AFL in the northern states is a good thing, and the small clubs get handouts from the AFL from the ever increasing broadcast rights.

However, what I don't understand is why they couldn't have these northern games played during the same opening round and weekend as games played in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth?

It defies logic. So much anticipation builds into the first round of the season. So much hope from all 18 clubs' supporter bases. Round 1 is the first measuring stick we get, and it's totally sullied if only half the clubs are playing.

On 360 I heard Whateley say that it's either this or nothing, because the Melbourne stadiums aren't ready for the AFL this weekend. Well Gerard we waited 5 months, I don't think anyone's going to mind another week, especially given it's a long weekend.

This is not to mention the bits and bobs of fun we enjoy on the periphery - fantasy, tipping etc. are thrown out of whack when half the teams open the season with a bye. Oh and I wonder who'll be leading the Brownlow after two and a half rounds?

Hate it!

bornadog
10-03-2024, 05:37 PM
It defies logic. So much anticipation builds into the first round of the season. So much hope from all 18 clubs' supporter bases. Round 1 is the first measuring stick we get, and it's totally sullied if only half the clubs are playing.

On 360 I heard Whateley say that it's either this or nothing, because the Melbourne stadiums aren't ready for the AFL this weekend. Well Gerard we waited 5 months, I don't think anyone's going to mind another week, especially given it's a long weekend.

This is not to mention the bits and bobs of fun we enjoy on the periphery - fantasy, tipping etc. are thrown out of whack when half the teams open the season with a bye. Oh and I wonder who'll be leading the Brownlow after two and a half rounds?

Hate it!

Lucky we didn't have to play in this heat, but totally agree with what you say

jeemak
10-03-2024, 05:41 PM
At least we'll get to hear about a return to tradition with the traditional season opener between Richmond and Carlton finally taking place Thursday night.

It's a game that always produces such quality, not to mention, tradition.

angelopetraglia
10-03-2024, 11:41 PM

Hate it!

Agree with all of these points. 100%.

Dry Rot
11-03-2024, 02:41 AM
Went to the Giants game on Saturday night.

Didn't have a flash seat, but sitting high above the goals had a good view down the ground.

First up, the sellout was bullshit - there were quite a few empty seats around me.

Secondly, for at least the last 3 quarters the Giants completely closed down any space for the Pies. It was really interesting being up the other end looking down the ground what at what the Pies defenders would see trying to kick up the ground. There were simply no options. The Pies could not play at all their style that many fans have come to like, and won then many games.

The Giants just seem to be faster across the ground and much better in the air. Their swarming defence and their waves of handball chains gave the illusion that they had four extra players on the field.

I always thought that the Pies were a bit short but got away with it, but not last night.

As others have said, I'm afraid that the Giants really look like the real deal this season.

Are any of you coming up to Sydney to watch us play the Giants in May?

Ditto the Swans late in the season?

hujsh
11-03-2024, 10:06 AM

Hate it!

Even putting aside the assumption that the AFL had to start this weekend, couldn't the AFL also have games in Adelaide and Perth? That gets us to 16 teams already. You'd just need one neutral match between 2 Victorian teams then.

I'm sure there are plenty of other options too rather than this BS take it or leave it situation.

bornadog
11-03-2024, 10:21 AM
Went to the Giants game on Saturday night.

Didn't have a flash seat, but sitting high above the goals had a good view down the ground.

First up, the sellout was bullshit - there were quite a few empty seats around me.

Secondly, for at least the last 3 quarters the Giants completely closed down any space for the Pies. It was really interesting being up the other end looking down the ground what at what the Pies defenders would see trying to kick up the ground. There were simply no options. The Pies could not play at all their style that many fans have come to like, and won then many games.

The Giants just seem to be faster across the ground and much better in the air. Their swarming defence and their waves of handball chains gave the illusion that they had four extra players on the field.

I always thought that the Pies were a bit short but got away with it, but not last night.

As others have said, I'm afraid that the Giants really look like the real deal this season.

Are any of you coming up to Sydney to watch us play the Giants in May?

Ditto the Swans late in the season?
Thanks for the report.
Wouldn't mind going up for the Sydney game - bloody AFL have held back the date, so hard to plan

bulldogsthru&thru
11-03-2024, 11:28 AM
At least we'll get to hear about a return to tradition with the traditional season opener between Richmond and Carlton finally taking place Thursday night.

It's a game that always produces such quality, not to mention, tradition.

I'm normally in the minority with a lot of these things but the Tigers v blues fabricated traditional opener zaps any enthusiasm I have for footy returning. It's just another reminder of the contrived, big club priority bullshit the afel is all about. And the espn style media cheerleading of big clubs is almost enough for me to dread footy season returning.

If the dogs ever ceased to exist I'd say goodbye to the league and wouldn't miss it a bit.

mjp
11-03-2024, 11:30 AM
Can kick straight too. A natural.

LOL. A natural kick huh?

Mofra
11-03-2024, 01:13 PM
I did like the way Cadman attacked the ball in the air too. It was almost Naughton-like. He's going to be damn good in a year or two

mjp
11-03-2024, 01:24 PM
Even putting aside the assumption that the AFL had to start this weekend, couldn't the AFL also have games in Adelaide and Perth? That gets us to 16 teams already. You'd just need one neutral match between 2 Victorian teams then.

I'm sure there are plenty of other options too rather than this BS take it or leave it situation.

I can actually cop the round 0 stuff. What I don't understand is why THIS WEEK I have to wait until Sunday to see my team play. You guys have to wait. Now....wait some more. Sucks.

jeemak
11-03-2024, 01:26 PM
I'm normally in the minority with a lot of these things but the Tigers v blues fabricated traditional opener zaps any enthusiasm I have for footy returning. It's just another reminder of the contrived, big club priority bullshit the afel is all about. And the espn style media cheerleading of big clubs is almost enough for me to dread footy season returning.

If the dogs ever ceased to exist I'd say goodbye to the league and wouldn't miss it a bit.

Sorry I'm not sure if you missed the sarcasm in my post. I hate the traditional opening round bullshit, I hate that even the ABC gets involved in the contrived hype of it that serves two big clubs solely.

I'd be playing the replays of the preliminary finals as the first two games of the season each year. Those teams deserve to be show cased and the football should be good.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-03-2024, 02:43 PM
Sorry I'm not sure if you missed the sarcasm in my post. I hate the traditional opening round bullshit, I hate that even the ABC gets involved in the contrived hype of it that serves two big clubs solely.

I'd be playing the replays of the preliminary finals as the first two games of the season each year. Those teams deserve to be show cased and the football should be good.

Oh no I totally got it. I was in full agreement.

I say minority because it seems the public in general give in to the rubbish mainstream media. We at woof are more refined folk.

hujsh
11-03-2024, 02:55 PM
Oh no I totally got it. I was in full agreement.

I say minority because it seems the public in general give in to the rubbish mainstream media. We at woof are more refined folk.

I think someone took this at the last WOOF meetup
https://c.tenor.com/LC5pjKICYiUAAAAC/tenor.gif

azabob
11-03-2024, 03:02 PM
I did like the way Cadman attacked the ball in the air too. It was almost Naughton-like. He's going to be damn good in a year or two

Cadman appears to have had a huge pre season, looks in great condition.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-03-2024, 03:14 PM
I think someone took this at the last WOOF meetup
https://c.tenor.com/LC5pjKICYiUAAAAC/tenor.gif

We discussed the economy and fine art before a trip to the Opera.

MrMahatma
11-03-2024, 04:06 PM
LOL. A natural kick huh?

Looks pretty smooth to me.

Dry Rot
12-03-2024, 09:47 AM
What do youl make of Cox's pre-match shenanigans?

Pies, Cox shed light on 'bizarre' pre-game incident

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1085532/collingwood-magpies-provide-explanation-for-mason-coxs-pre-game-incident

bornadog
12-03-2024, 09:53 AM

Pies, Cox shed light on 'bizarre' pre-game incident

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1085532/collingwood-magpies-provide-explanation-for-mason-coxs-pre-game-incident

Apparently it was a Pies ball

jeemak
12-03-2024, 10:12 AM
I think he took his opportunity to be a dickhead when it was presented to him. A guy like him can't help himself.

ledge
12-03-2024, 12:27 PM
Can’t believe the media makes calls on clubs and players after just 4 games.
Media has already written off some teams and some players .

GVGjr
12-03-2024, 01:31 PM
Can’t believe the media makes calls on clubs and players after just 4 games.
Media has already written off some teams and some players .

It's weird isn't it.

mjp
12-03-2024, 03:38 PM

I actually thought it was super dangerous and that the AFL should react...you can't have teams getting in each others way during the warm-ups. That's how something bad is going to happen.

bornadog
12-03-2024, 04:34 PM
I actually thought it was super dangerous and that the AFL should react...you can't have teams getting in each others way during the warm-ups. That's how something bad is going to happen.

The AFL asked for a please explain

Cox apologises for ?bizarre? warm-up clash with Giants? Mumford (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/mason-cox-asked-to-please-explain-bizarre-warm-up-clash-with-giants-20240310-p5fb9v.html)

Collingwood premiership ruckman Mason Cox has apologised for shoving Giants ruck coach Shane Mumford out of the way as the rivals prepared to begin their pre-match stoppage drills on Saturday night.

The AFL issued Cox with a ?please explain? after the incident, which occurred in a transition phase as the Magpies were finishing their own centre-bounce warm-up and the Giants moved into the area.

Cox, who turns 33 on Thursday, pushed an unaware Mumford from behind, before jumping up and running away with the ball. A Collingwood official holding a ruck bag was backing away from the circle and Magpies midfielder Nick Daicos was leaving the area.

Mumford ? one of the AFL?s most imposing ruckmen during his 2008-21 career ? and Giants players, including Stephen Coniglio and Callan Ward, looked on in bemusement at Cox?s antics.

Collingwood confirmed on Monday afternoon that they had responded to the AFL?s query on Cox?s actions.

The Pies said Cox had requested the AFL umpire to bounce the ball once more to finalise his preparation, with the American?s run-up coinciding with GWS moving into the centre circle. The 114-gamer elected to complete the drill, contacting Mumford in the process.

?I apologise for the incident in our pre-game where I made contact with a GWS official,? Cox said.

?In the moment, I was solely focused on getting one more bounce in. In hindsight, I should have stopped my run-up rather than completing the drill.?

Giants forward Brent Daniels did not know about the incident until watching a replay after the club?s 32-point win, but took full aim at Cox.

?Mason likes to say things that get a bit of a headline,? Daniels told the Nine Network on Sunday.

?He likes the limelight, but what he did before the game, I thought, was really bizarre. A bit of carry-on. I?d like to think we?re really humble and hungry as a team. To see that wasn?t a good look.?

Cox was already public enemy No.1 with the Giants after describing their home ground as ?a showground for livestock? when the AFL announced it would be starting the 2024 season with four games in NSW and Queensland.

The Giants? social media team and Cox traded barbs all summer in the lead-up to the match. GWS even set up a petting zoo at Engie Stadium, formerly Giants Stadium, and named it after Cox.

The Giants had the last laugh when Cox failed to register a disposal in the first half and finished with just five disposals for the match.

?If you?re going to do that, you?d want to back it up on the field,? Daniels said. ?His comments grab media, and that?s what he wants. We know we?re a small base, but we love our Giants fans and last night was really special. ?Mummy? [Mumford] doesn?t usually hold back, so luckily he did this time.?

In a post on his Instagram on Sunday, Cox said there had been ?lots of false commentary? surrounding the incident.

?Will explain what actually happened on this weeks (sic) podcast,? Cox wrote.

The AFL confirmed on Sunday afternoon it had asked Collingwood to explain the incident.

jazzadogs
12-03-2024, 06:05 PM
When does Mumford have to apologise for getting in the way of Cox's warmup?

I actually don't think Cox has done a single thing wrong here.

azabob
12-03-2024, 07:51 PM

Don’t be silly jazz.

Mummy eats 29 bbq sausages and likes some extra curricular hobbies…

Cox is a dumb, loud mouth yank who is too big for his own boots.

Mumford funny…
Cox bad…

jeemak
13-03-2024, 12:02 AM
But if you weren't a ****wit and had the right to continue wouldn't you just call for Mumford and the others to get out of the way and let you finish the drill?

mjp
13-03-2024, 11:34 AM
Looks pretty smooth to me.

He's 10-years in and still stutter stepping in his run up.

He was an ok-good field kick as a kid but has been average-poor as a goal kicker since the u16 champs.

mjp
13-03-2024, 11:35 AM

The Giants were clearly warming up in that area. Collingwood had moved out. If one of the Giants decided to push and shove with Cox because he was being a peanut and Cox pushed back, this is only ending one way.

Mofra
13-03-2024, 05:55 PM

Josh Kennedy likes this

Grantysghost
13-03-2024, 06:08 PM

He was an ok-good field kick as a kid but has been average-poor as a goal kicker since the u16 champs.

He looked incredible on the weekend. Stutter step yes, but straight as, split the middle. Also early worked his arse off up the wings as the outlet. What Melbourne would do for him now.

jazzadogs
13-03-2024, 06:32 PM
The Giants were clearly warming up in that area. Collingwood had moved out. If one of the Giants decided to push and shove with Cox because he was being a peanut and Cox pushed back, this is only ending one way.

There was a Collingwood coach with a bag standing right there. Cox was clearly still there. Why did the Giants waltz in?

Who's to say the Giants/Mumford didn't deliberately head in to the middle and get in Cox's way because they don't like him and wanted to disrupt his preparation?

I don't like Mason, but from the moment Fox decided to play only the edited vision rather than the longer vision it was clear that this was about clicks and painting him as a villain, rather than about an actual issue.