PDA

View Full Version : Round 6 ins and outs

Dry Rot
20-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Johnno, Murphy and Lake injured?

LostDoggy
20-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Johnno groin/hammy probs and went down the race with 10mins to go...Lake just cramped up and wanted to come back on straight away...didnt hear anything about Murphy?

I think resting Johnno would be a good idea for next week..

Sockeye Salmon
20-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Johnno groin/hammy probs and went down the race with 10mins to go...Lake just cramped up and wanted to come back on straight away...didnt hear anything about Murphy?

I think resting Johnno would be a good idea for next week..

Murphy came back on as well. Lake's injury had more to do with not wanting to take the kick than anything else. Welsh was the nearest player and should have been given the kick.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-04-2008, 09:28 PM
IN: West, Skipper
OUT: Harbrow, Johnson (inj).

With Ray, Everitt & Williams still 2+ weeks away from fitness we're short on for bringing in players. However, Harbrow has been average and needs to find some form & fitness at Williamstown. He's had barely any impact and had poor disposal today. Johnson shouldn't of played because although he kicked two goals, he looks dreadfully out of sorts & is a liability when the opposition have the ball. Give the bloke a rest, he certainly needs it. West is desperately needed back, we've missed him big time, and Skipper is another option up forward who can swing into the ruck.

The bonus of bringing in Skip means that Minson can play at FF for the full game if Eade feels the need. Will contests really well up forward and is looking comfortable in the role. Needs to hold onto a few more marks but the point is that he's getting into position and looking dangerous. The fact that in the last two weeks he's kicked crucial goals at crucial periods in the game are a real plus and an incentive to leave him up forward for the entire game. Additionally, it means that Hudson can have better/longer rests on the bench. Hudson struggles up forward, he doesn't have the capabilities that Minson & Skip have. When Hudson comes off, Skipper is able to play 10 or so minutes in the ruck in which he usually does pretty well. Skip doesn't have the fitness to last much longer but he's good value in bursts because of his mobility & leap. The fact that Skipper can also take a mark & kick a goal is further incentive to bring him into the lineup, because it means we've got three capable ruckmen, two of them which can go forward. Against Cox, Seaby & Spangher that's important too.

Oh, and Eagleton is lucky we don't have too many options. If Higgins & Ray were fit and firing, Eagle would be playing VFL next weekend.

LostDoggy
20-04-2008, 10:44 PM
We Need West back badly.
If he comes back we will get more hardball gets and the running players will be able to run more instead of being under the packs.

LostDoggy
20-04-2008, 11:11 PM
West for Harbrow (back to Willy to get more of the ball - shouldn't be there for too long).

If Johnson is injured, bring in Skipper (to CHF - extra height and someone who is prepared to kick from outside 50m).

If Aker is injured, Ward (small for a small) - not too many players fit enough or playing well at Willy to choose from.

Does anyone have an update on Aker - hurt his groin in the last minute or so, from memory - down on his knees and couldn't run?

LostDoggy
20-04-2008, 11:30 PM
West for Harbrow (back to Willy to get more of the ball - shouldn't be there for too long).

If Johnson is injured, bring in Skipper (to CHF - extra height and someone who is prepared to kick from outside 50m).

If Aker is injured, Ward (small for a small) - not too many players fit enough or playing well at Willy to choose from.

Does anyone have an update on Aker - hurt his groin in the last minute or so, from memory - down on his knees and couldn't run?

He was very eager to get back on just after he came off so i dont think theres much of a problem there. Also, wasnt his groin, pretty sure he copped a knock to the head which busted open.

LostDoggy
20-04-2008, 11:57 PM
This was after the nose/face problem - in the last minute (seconds?) of the game on the half forward flank.

Hunched over holding the groin area and was unable to run to chase his opponent.

Hope it was temporary, but Aker normally doesn't show he is in pain.

I eventually followed the ball and forgot Aker, once the ball crossed the centre.

I'll be very happy if I'm over reacting.

LostDoggy
21-04-2008, 12:05 AM
3 changes please possble 1 forced with Johno
Out Hill, Harbrow and Johnno
In West, Ward and one of Skipper or Ray

Very lucky to be playing next week are Eagleton, Wight, Callan, & Addison.

G-Mo77
21-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Johnson needs a rest! Give it to him this week and get him ready to travel to Sydney.

For mine I'd drop Harbrow, he just looked down right lazy at times, at one stage I saw one of our guys putting pressure on 2 Richmond players on the wing (Can't remember who?) and he didn't even bother to get there and help out even though he was standing there on his own. There are a few others that could be in the firing line after today but with the ammount of injuries they may be safe for next week.

I guess we'll have to see how Lake pulls up? Aker sounded fine though after listening to his interview apart from having his nose stuffed full of tissues.

So right now I would say

In: Skipper, West (If not right Ward)
Out: Johnson, Harbrow

wimberga
21-04-2008, 12:17 AM
at the game and listening to Doc Larkins both at the time and after the game. After the game the Doc said no real injuries to either side as he was aware, and said that it look like aker had hurt his Abductor or something in his groin, but didnt think it was serious. Should be right to play

DOG GOD
21-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Can we really afford to have addison and callan both playing?

Both have great attack on the ball and arent afraid of a contest, but boy are their disposal avge.

Id go:

OUT: Harbrow, addison, Johnson (inj)
IN: West, Ward, skipper

GVGjr
21-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Can we really afford to have addison and callan both playing?

Both have great attack on the ball and arent afraid of a contest, but boy are their disposal avge.

Id go:

OUT: Harbrow, addison, Johnson (inj)
IN: West, Ward, skipper

Assuming West is replacing Harbrow that means Ward would replace Addison. I have been impressed with Ward but given his age could he really be asked to do the role that Addison currently does? Right at this moment I see Ward more as a creative forward than a run with midfielder or even defender. As a smallish forward, he is running into a fair bit of competition with Hahn, Murphy, Gia and co so it even though he has been knocking on the door, if Addison does get a spell in the reserves it might be that Stack would be a better option.

Wards ahead of Stack at the moment and is probably the logical replacement but I wouldn't count out Stack.

aker39
21-04-2008, 12:45 PM
If yesterday was anything to go by, opposition clubs will continue to let Callan get the uncontested possessions, because they know he is not going to hurt them with his disposal.

Bulldog Revolution
21-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Addison won some crucial hard balls in the last quarter and spent time tagging Foley in the centre square - I dont think that is a role they'd be giving a guy they were likely to drop

Sure his disposal needs polish but I will be giving him my 2 votes in the marmo - he had more influence in my opinion than any of the other youngsters

lowedog
21-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Maybe if westy had been availiable yesterday, they might have rested Johnno. Not having over 600 games of experience out there right now was probably some of the logic behind Johnno's continued inclusion in the team. I must addmit, against wce I'd suggest another tall, as they have a few rucking options. Skip would be a good fit, maybe at the expense of a Harbrow, or even Addison. A stronger body against the eagles on ballers might be the way to go.
In West Sipper
Out Johnson Harbrow

DOG GOD
21-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Yeah i guess i was trying to make a point of both callan and addisons disposal in general.

It just makes me cringe everytime these blokes get it (and thats without hargrave, morris, lake, cross, boyd) who arent the best kicks either.

I agree with GVGjr that Ward wouldnt play the addison role, but maybe ward could play the harbrow role as i thought he was avge yesterday, (flew over for the game).

Johnno is definately in need of a rest, thats for sure..he is destroying my supercoach chances :D

Cyberdoggie
21-04-2008, 06:24 PM
in: west (if fit)
out: eagleton (he's poo)

harbrow may not be getting that much of it but he's been involved in many goal assists and kicked a few himself.

CraigW
21-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Is it just me or is there a lot of people jumping off the Josh Hill bandwagon?

Sockeye Salmon
21-04-2008, 10:22 PM
in: west (if fit)
out: eagleton (he's poo)

harbrow may not be getting that much of it but he's been involved in many goal assists and kicked a few himself.

CD Eagleton slag-off no. 7,931.

LostDoggy
21-04-2008, 10:27 PM

He had a great start but never really cemented a spot in the team. Made the most of his opportunity but with players comming back in he was always going to be on the chopping block.

Having said that i thnk he'll survive another week with Harbrow comming out for West.

LostDoggy
21-04-2008, 11:54 PM

He was a non contributor yesterday after being poor the week before. No mistaking he is a very young player. They have there ups and downs. He will come back better from a spell in the twos.

The Underdog
22-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the only reason Hargrave hasn't come under any scrutiny is the lack of a straight replacement available? Have a go at Callan all you want (and I'm not saying he was particularly good yesterday) but I'd argue that Shaggy has been close to our poorest performer over the course of the season.

LostDoggy
22-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Hargrave is suffering having a poor CHB along side him.

LostDoggy
22-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Out: Harbrow, Eagle and Johnno (Needs the rest to get the body right its a long season). (Hill one more chance he is still a working progeress and will have ups and down as expected)
In: Ward, West and Skipper.

LostDoggy
22-04-2008, 09:49 AM
I don't think its a great idea to have Ward and Hill in the same side just yet given we are playing a physically mature side like WC.

GVGjr
22-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the only reason Hargrave hasn't come under any scrutiny is the lack of a straight replacement available? Have a go at Callan all you want (and I'm not saying he was particularly good yesterday) but I'd argue that Shaggy has been close to our poorest performer over the course of the season.

Not sure if he has been the poorest performer but the errors have been even more noticeable than normal. I guess if there was Everitt, Williams and McDougall all pushing for a game he could either be shunted to the bench or even given a spell at Willy.

1eyedog
22-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Yeah Get Shaggy out of the deep D50 and get Tom Williams into CHB asap. Play Shag on a wing. IMO there will only be West for either Callan, Habrow, Addison or Hill. We cannot afford to play these 4 players in one team. Hill deserves a go, Addison (IMO) deserves a go too. For me, I'd drop Habrow or Callan.

Ray for Habrow when fit
Williams for Wight when fit
Everitt for Hill when fit

Sockeye Salmon
22-04-2008, 11:21 AM
I only remember one poor kick from Hargrave and as he only was given one in the stats I'd say that was right.

Hargrave spent most of the game on Morton who had almost no influence, so although Hargrave didn't do much offensively, he didn't get burnt either.

While he is struggling a bit, there's a few under the pump more than he is at the moment.

GVGjr
22-04-2008, 11:31 AM
I only remember one poor kick from Hargrave and as he only was given one in the stats I'd say that was right.

Hargrave spent most of the game on Morton who had almost no influence, so although Hargrave didn't do much offensively, he didn't get burnt either.

While he is struggling a bit, there's a few under the pump more than he is at the moment.

Shaggy was on Riewoldt when he kicked a couple.

The Underdog
22-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Shaggy was on Riewoldt when he kicked a couple.

That was one of the things that prompted me to rate his performance as poor. Maybe I'm overrating it a bit, but when Everitt is fit and firing again I would say there'll be competition for Shaggy's spot. I just don't recall him being a particularly good player in any game so far and to be honest he hasn't really been asked to play too much on guys who are bigger than him this year, which was always kind of the excuse. Don't get me wrong I value what he can bring to the side and is in our best 22, I just don't think that so far this year it's been brung.

alwaysadog
22-04-2008, 07:59 PM

and after one poor game in five .. and after some terrific performances. A week is an incredibly long time for some people.

LostDoggy
22-04-2008, 08:02 PM
and after one poor game in five .. and after some terrific performances. A week is an incredibly long time for some people.
We can't drop him as I'm confident that he will bounce back to some good form soon.

Mantis
22-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Yeah Get Shaggy out of the deep D50 and get Tom Williams into CHB asap. Play Shag on a wing. IMO there will only be West for either Callan, Habrow, Addison or Hill. We cannot afford to play these 4 players in one team. Hill deserves a go, Addison (IMO) deserves a go too. For me, I'd drop Habrow or Callan.

Ray for Habrow when fit
Williams for Wight when fit
Everitt for Hill when fit

Hargrave has played all his career in the backline, why would you try and create a new position for him if he can't perform in that role. Shouldn't this move had been made 2 or 3 years ago?

alwaysadog
22-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Hargrave has played all his career in the backline, why would you try and create a new position for him if he can't perform in that role. Shouldn't this move had been made 2 or 3 years ago?

Has anybody noticed that when they go into groups at 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 time Shaggie is in the midfield group?

alwaysadog
22-04-2008, 11:23 PM
3 changes please possble 1 forced with Johno
Out Hill, Harbrow and Johnno
In West, Ward and one of Skipper or Ray

Very lucky to be playing next week are Eagleton, Wight, Callan, & Addison.

With the greatest of respect what has Hill done wrong?

LostDoggy
22-04-2008, 11:46 PM
With the greatest of respect what has Hill done wrong?

This week he missed a few simple marks, stuffed up a certain goal, ducked out of a contest or two and hardly got a touch.
Not sure who he opponent was either.
We carried about 2/3 players on Sunday, he was one of them.

He was also poor against Essendon. Very young and I'd straight swap him for Ward.
No harm dropping him in basically in his season, he'll be back. Chris Grant got dropped in his first season.

1eyedog
23-04-2008, 12:30 AM

I'm not suggesting that Eade should create a new role for him and I'm not suggesting he can't preform in his current role. I just think he needs to be freed up a bit for a week or two. When there is a match up for him on the wing (as I have stated on someone like Embley) then I think it will be a great opportunity for him to get his dukes on the pill without the pressure of playing deep D50.

The Doctor
23-04-2008, 10:32 AM
I'd keep Hill for 1 more week but let him know he's on notice.

I'd bring in Skipper and Ward for Wight and Harbrow.

Let's hope Everitt, Ray, Williams and Doogs can soon find some decent form then there will be a lot of healthy competition for spots.

LostDoggy
23-04-2008, 10:40 AM

Sounds like a plan but if available West would have to come in.

Mantis
23-04-2008, 02:10 PM

Let's hope Everitt, Ray, Williams and Doogs can soon find some decent form then there will be a lot of healthy competition for spots.

So who plays on Seaby/ Cox when they are playing forward?

LostDoggy
23-04-2008, 02:12 PM
I'd try Skipper at CHB, he can't be much worse than Wight and can pinch hit elsewhere better.

The Underdog
23-04-2008, 02:25 PM
I'd try Skipper at CHB, he can't be much worse than Wight and can pinch hit elsewhere better.

Well he's shorter and less mobile. To be honest I think Skipper's a talented undersized ruck, but I've rarely seen anything to indicate he's a KPP, especially a CHB. I think Wight is the stopgap until Williams gets back or unless McD shows some form in the 2's (and regains fitness). Wight isn't strong enough in contests, but at least he can get to them, most CHF's would leave Skip in the dust.

LostDoggy
23-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Well he's shorter and less mobile. To be honest I think Skipper's a talented undersized ruck, but I've rarely seen anything to indicate he's a KPP, especially a CHB. I think Wight is the stopgap until Williams gets back or unless McD shows some form in the 2's (and regains fitness). Wight isn't strong enough in contests, but at least he can get to them, most CHF's would leave Skip in the dust.

Skipper is stronger, better in a contest and has a better football brain. If most CHFs leave Skip in the dust then they would tear apart Wight too.

The Underdog
23-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Skipper is stronger, better in a contest and has a better football brain. If most CHFs leave Skip in the dust then they would tear apart Wight too.

I agree with you on those 3 points, it's his lack of speed that would let him down. If there is one thing Wight has over him it's athleticism and the ability to run out a game (especially considering Skip's lack of a pre-season).

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2008, 03:21 PM

I've been convinced of that for years.

Skipper was taken at pick 70. He was passed up by most because he was seen as purely a ruckman and at (then) 192cm was seen as being too short.

We took the risk that he would grow another couple of inches and if he had he would be a very good player by now. While he grew a bit, he didn't grow enough.

He'll tear it up in the WAFL soon.

PS. Skipper was listed as 192cm when he was drafted. A couple of years later he was listed as 196cm, now he's listed as 193cm. I saw him standing next to Brian Lake at the club last year and Skip is clearly taller than Lake. I'd say 196cm is right. Why would they list him as 193cm?

hujsh
23-04-2008, 03:24 PM
PS. Skipper was listed as 192cm when he was drafted. A couple of years later he was listed as 196cm, now he's listed as 193cm. I saw him standing next to Brian Lake at the club last year and Skip is clearly taller than Lake. I'd say 196cm is right. Why would they list him as 193cm?

This seems to happen all over the place. It's not that hard to put the right height on the website

The Underdog
23-04-2008, 03:38 PM
I've been convinced of that for years.

Skipper was taken at pick 70. He was passed up by most because he was seen as purely a ruckman and at (then) 192cm was seen as being too short.

We took the risk that he would grow another couple of inches and if he had he would be a very good player by now. While he grew a bit, he didn't grow enough.

He'll tear it up in the WAFL soon.

Agree 100%. He would be a great ruck if he was big enough, but he ain't and apart from one game where he kicked 5 and one contested mark against St kilda at a crucial time, he's never shown the ability to play key position in the AFL. I've certainly never seen anything to suggest he'd be a good CHB. I'm not saying he's not talented just unfortunately not tall enough to play his natural position.

wb_age
23-04-2008, 05:38 PM
^^
Too right. The only reason i see both Skipper remaining on our list is purely for back up.

LostDoggy
23-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Wight might be quicker, but Skipper reads it better which means there is no difference. There is no doubting Skipper desire after late last season.

I'm sure Skipper played some games in the backline in his career. I recall one now NAB cup game at Kardinia park where we got pumpedby he was moved back and wasn't too bad.

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Wight might be quicker, but Skipper reads it better which means there is no difference. There is no doubting Skipper desire after late last season.

I'm sure Skipper played some games in the backline in his career. I recall one now NAB cup game at Kardinia park where we got pumpedby he was moved back and wasn't too bad.

The only time I can remember Skipper playing back was against Richmond a few years ago and he was terrible. From memory Stafford and Simmonds both kicked goals on him in a very short time.

Mantis
23-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Agree SS.

If Wight was to be replaced at this point in time and taking into account that Williams and Everitt are not available for selection I would prefer McDougall to play as a defender compared to Skipper. I have yet to see Skipper play effectively as a defender in Dog's colours.