PDA

View Full Version : Watching games live overseas

Topdog
15-03-2024, 10:42 AM
I'll keep the thread simple, anyone know the best way to do this? Happy to pay for it but last time I tried watchafl it was a steaming pile of crap.

Axe Man
15-03-2024, 10:47 AM
I watched on the Foxtel Go app no problem last year, I'm assuming Kayo should work as well.

hujsh
15-03-2024, 11:18 AM
I watched on the Foxtel Go app no problem last year, I'm assuming Kayo should work as well.

Might be wrong but I think Kayo is region locked. Might need a VPN to make it seem like you're in Aus for it to work.

Actually Kayo clarifies this
https://help.kayosports.com.au/s/article/Which-countries-is-Kayo-available-in

They recommend this app. Expensive though.
https://www.watchafl.com.au/

Here someone recommends using NordVPN with Kayo
https://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/12tq009/how_to_access_kayo_overseas_from_mobile/

Axe Man
15-03-2024, 11:21 AM
Might be wrong but I think Kayo is region locked. Might need a VPN to make it seem like you're in Aus for it to work.

They recommend this app. Expensive though

You are right and it says the same thing about Foxtel Go yet I swear I watched it and I certainly didn't have a VPN. Maybe I dreamt it!

Bulldog Joe
15-03-2024, 11:26 AM
i have always used watchafl when overseas.

Had no issues going back to 2016. Last used it in 2019.

Critter
15-03-2024, 11:30 AM
I've used Watch AFL often and it works fine for me. Maybe you should revisit it and work through the process carefully when you fire it up.

hujsh
15-03-2024, 11:36 AM
Watch AFL is apparently also only in 720p...

bornadog
15-03-2024, 12:07 PM
You are right and it says the same thing about Foxtel Go yet I swear I watched it and I certainly didn't have a VPN. Maybe I dreamt it!

On memory you need a VPN

jDogs
15-03-2024, 12:18 PM
I'm not overseas but I've never been able to get Kayo or Foxtel Go to work with a couple of different VPNs, including those mentioned in the above reddit thread. Tried every Aussie server imaginable.

Watchafl is 720p because it's meant to be watched on a device with a small screen, so that's their excuse for being 15 years behind.

People often posts links on reddit to a couple of different sites that stream AFL games, I saved one, tried it last night, quality is good but looks like there's about a 60 second or so delay. Not sure if I can post the link so you can DM me for it if you like.

Topdog
15-03-2024, 09:48 PM
I'll be watching on a laptop anyway so the 720p wont bother me tooooo much. Will just give watchafl a go i think but thanks for the reddit shoutout. Can keep an eye out there and yeah good idea not to post the link openly here.

jeemak
15-03-2024, 10:05 PM
I went with Watch AFL while living overseas and it's not great, but in Hanoi that's what most of the venues had running so you were pretty much stuck with it no matter what!

Just don't forget to stop your subscription like I did. They still sting you over summer!

soupman
15-03-2024, 10:10 PM
I'm using WatchAFL atm and it's working fine.

On a laptop screen so picture quality doesn't seem to be an issue.

jeemak
15-03-2024, 11:21 PM
I'm using WatchAFL atm and it's working fine.

On a laptop screen so picture quality doesn't seem to be an issue.

Where are you mate?

FrediKanoute
16-03-2024, 12:28 AM

They recommend this app. Expensive though.

Here someone recommends using NordVPN with Kayo
https://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/12tq009/how_to_access_kayo_overseas_from_mobile/

I use WatchAFL. I buy a Digital Membership from the Bulldogs for about $250 and it comes with this subscription. If I boght this in the UK it would be ?300. Buy the Digital membership!

soupman
16-03-2024, 05:01 AM
Where are you mate?

Southern France. Been lucky enough to take our 1 year old twins on a trip from Barcelona to Nice. Watching the footy is a very pleasant way to spend the evening once you get them into bed and dig into the food and wine you collected throughout the day.

jeemak
16-03-2024, 07:52 AM
Southern France. Been lucky enough to take our 1 year old twins on a trip from Barcelona to Nice. Watching the footy is a very pleasant way to spend the evening once you get them into bed and dig into the food and wine you collected throughout the day.

It's not quite Milan to Minsk, but it sounds like both the worst and the best thing all at once! Enjoy! :)

Grantysghost
16-03-2024, 09:32 AM
You lucky bastard!

Topdog
16-03-2024, 09:55 AM
1 month for $45 isnt too bad and actually includes 5 games so I will give it a go. Thanks all

AshMac
16-03-2024, 11:20 AM
WatchAFL is the equivalent of Kayo here and specifically for overseas IP addresses as the others have said.

I bought a dogs digital membership this year for Kayo and noticed the Sydney digital membership has watchafl for $210 instead of Kayo. Think that is the cheapest option for a full season.

Boots
16-03-2024, 08:56 PM
Extremely timely thread given I'm in Japan until Round 6. Will be on a long ferry trip tomorrow afternoon too, so it might line up well. Thanks all.

jazzadogs
16-03-2024, 09:09 PM
When I was last living overseas in 2017, I had a digital membership which gave me cheaper access to watch AFL.

It is very similar to Kayo. Subpar, but the only option and for the most part gets the job done (it allowed me to watch the 2016 GWS prelim from a remote cottage in Skye, albeit with questionable reception, so I find it hard to be too critical).

AshMac
17-03-2024, 12:58 PM
I tried with a VPN a few years back with Kayo and it was completely unwatchable

bornadog
17-03-2024, 01:01 PM
I tried with a VPN a few years back with Kayo and it was completely unwatchable

Worked for me on Foxtel Go

angelopetraglia
25-03-2024, 07:03 PM
I'm in Singapore for the West Coast Eagles game. I'm hoping the VPN and Foxtel Go works OK.

Topdog
25-03-2024, 11:50 PM
Extremely timely thread given I'm in Japan until Round 6. Will be on a long ferry trip tomorrow afternoon too, so it might line up well. Thanks all.

I'm in Japan too and also until round 6 so that's a bit of a coincidence.

For what is worth my stock VPN back into Australia worked with kayo.
Well it didn't work and then I refresh the webpages and it magically works so I haven't bothered with watchafl yet

angelopetraglia
08-04-2024, 07:29 PM
I was in Singapore for a week. VPN and Foxtel Go did not work for me. Foxtel Go would not work via VPN. Tried on multiple devices.

So I had to go down the AFL Overseas path. $24 for one week! So I signed up. But didn't realise it was an automatic roll over subscription.

So it cost me $48 to watch the Dogs V Eagles (I did watch some snippets of some other games). Ouch.

bornadog
08-04-2024, 07:54 PM
I was in Singapore for a week. VPN and Foxtel Go did not work for me. Foxtel Go would not work via VPN. Tried on multiple devices.

So I had to go down the AFL Overseas path. $24 for one week! So I signed up. But didn't realise it was an automatic roll over subscription.

So it cost me $48 to watch the Dogs V Suns (I did watch some snippets of some other games). Ouch.

Interesting. I am off on Saturday to Korea for two weeks, and was hoping my VPN works. See how it goes.

angelopetraglia
08-04-2024, 08:27 PM
Interesting. I am off on Saturday to Korea for two weeks, and was hoping my VPN works. See how it goes.

Sorry, I meant the Eagles game not the Suns.

The VPN worked for everything else to access Australian content, so it wasn't the VPN. Foxtel do state on their website that it won't work on a VPN, but I did believe that the idea of using a VPN was it to make it look like you were in Australia hence avoiding their detection. However, far from a VPN expert!

From Foxtel website.

Watching Foxtel Now through a VPN (Virtual Private Network)

Foxtel Now cannot be viewed on a Virtual Private Network (VPN). If you’re using a VPN on your device, you’ll need to disable it to be able to view Foxtel Now.

The rights and licensing agreements we have in place mean that the content on Foxtel Now can only be accessed within Australia. If you’re using a VPN, we can’t verify that you’re in Australia.

jeemak
08-04-2024, 10:08 PM
Mate I called out the immediate/ automatic rollover!

angelopetraglia
08-04-2024, 10:11 PM
Mate I called out the immediate/ automatic rollover!

Arrgghhhhh I know, just stupid from me. For some reason I convinced myself I was just purchasing a week.

jeemak
08-04-2024, 10:12 PM
Arrgghhhhh I know, just stupid from me. For some reason I convinced myself I was just purchasing a week.

I don't listen to me either!

Topdog
08-04-2024, 11:45 PM
VPN works with Kayo. It says it doesn't but just refresh the browser and it forgets about vpns