PDA

View Full Version : 2x Matchup Questions for Melbourne (Maybe 3!).

mjp
15-03-2024, 03:17 PM
1/. Who takes Fritsch and why?

2/. Who takes Pickett.

3/. Do we tag Petracca and if yes, with WHO??

Go_Dogs
15-03-2024, 03:20 PM

2/. Who takes Pickett.

Fritsch - Coffield. Versatile, has the height to combat in the air.

Pickett - Bramble. I’m not worried about Pickett other than him getting goal side on the turnover. It’s more his defensive efforts and closing space that I’m worried about to be honest. Bramble not a noted “defender” I get it, but we don’t have a small lock down defender in the side.

Petracca - would be very surprised if we tagged him. H2H with Bont I imagine.

Bulldog Joe
15-03-2024, 03:25 PM
Fritsch - Coffield. Versatile, has the height to combat in the air.

Pickett - Bramble. I’m not worried about Pickett other than him getting goal side on the turnover. It’s more his defensive efforts and closing space that I’m worried about to be honest. Bramble not a noted “defender” I get it, but we don’t have a small lock down defender in the side.

Petracca - would be very surprised if we tagged him. H2H with Bont I imagine.

I think you are spot on.

Bramble seems like the only one we have with the pace to go with Pickett.

Coffield seems the natural fit for a player like Fritsch.

Bevo has never looked to tag but if Petracca gets going maybe Harmes gets an assignment.

We need to beat them in the middle, but they have a pretty good first choice mix.

mjp
15-03-2024, 03:37 PM
Coffield seems the natural fit for a player like Fritsch.

Don't know enough about Coffield to be honest...I worry he has been presented more as an interceptor and Fritsch just plays his own game. I worry about this matchup.

Bevo has never looked to tag ...

And in round 1 that would be a good time to send a message to everyone in Footy that there's something a bit different about this 2024 Bulldogs team. Hard edged and hard to beat.

mighty_west
15-03-2024, 03:51 PM
I'd like to say Buku for the Hair dryer but have to say Coffield, Buku certainly has the pace and size but defensively....., agree also with Bramble on Pickett and would like to see Harmes take either Petracca or Oliver depending on which one goes on a rampage, with Timmy zoning back Scotty Wynd style.

bornadog
15-03-2024, 04:00 PM
I think Buku will go to Fritsch and Jones will take the taller player. Agree Bramble to Picket, but Picket will also play some time in the midfield.
I doubt we tag Pretacca, but Libba may try and quell him. Melbourne may try and tag Libba with Viney.

mjp
15-03-2024, 04:04 PM
I think Buku will go to Fritsch.

MJP dislikes this.

bornadog
15-03-2024, 04:06 PM
MJP dislikes this.

Buku played on him in the 2022 win at Marvel, did an ok job

Not sure if I like it either, but it's what I think will happen.

Can Jones play on him?

bulldogsthru&thru
15-03-2024, 04:39 PM
The way to stop Fritsch is to cut his leading patterns. He likes to mark on his chest.

Buku is talented but lacks situational awareness. He just needs more game smarts. I feel like Fritsch will teach him a few lessons on Sunday. We can only be hopeful I suppose that Buku has a bit more experience under his belt. He's had a good preseason from all reports.

mjp
15-03-2024, 05:25 PM
Buku played on him in the 2022 win at Marvel, did an ok job

Not sure if I like it either, but it's what I think will happen.

Can Jones play on him?

He's their best forward who is often the deepest.

Jones is our best defender who also plays the deepest.

I think Jones takes him wherever possible...agility at ground level worries me but I'm worried about everything rn.

Go_Dogs
15-03-2024, 05:27 PM
Don't know enough about Coffield to be honest...I worry he has been presented more as an interceptor and Fritsch just plays his own game. I worry about this matchup.

And in round 1 that would be a good time to send a message to everyone in Footy that there's something a bit different about this 2024 Bulldogs team. Hard edged and hard to beat.

If we’re going to tag a Melbourne player, would it be Viney? He’s the guy that showed the most last week and gets them moving at the coal face.

Oliver will rack them up and get the ball moving forward if we allow him to get the second possession. He’s got wheels / ability to withstand tackles too.

If we want to tag, why do you say if needs to be Petracca mjp?

MrMahatma
15-03-2024, 05:30 PM
No idea who takes Fritsch. Maybe Richards. We may lose a bit of creativity but Fritsch is a main threat. But Ed may be better for Pickett and Dale on Fritsch. A Bailey off.

I'd like to see Harmes on Petracca or Viney. He's played that role against us on Libba. If we were to tag, in one single positional move or tactic, Bevo would signal to everyone in the competition that things have changed.

DOG GOD
15-03-2024, 05:36 PM
We don’t have a matchup for hairspray. Haven’t the last 2+ years either.
If he gets enough shots and kicks straight, he will kick 5, I have no doubt about that. If buku starts on him, I’m turning the tv off immediately (god help us)
Yeah Pickett will play mid on occasion and not sure who takes him. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him start there and try to take Bont out of the equation.

comrade
15-03-2024, 05:49 PM
Jones to Fritsch, Buku to their key tall (Van Rooyen?). Coffield to the second tall if they have one (I?m out of the loop). It isn?t ideal but Jones has to take their most dangerous target. A 25 year old Dale Morris would be handy.

Bramble probably gets Pickett but it doesn?t matter, he?ll have a field day regardless.

I?d put Harmes on Petracca and direct him to give him hell all night.

mjp
15-03-2024, 06:00 PM
If we’re going to tag a Melbourne player, would it be Viney? He’s the guy that showed the most last week and gets them moving at the coal face.

Oliver will rack them up and get the ball moving forward if we allow him to get the second possession. He’s got wheels / ability to withstand tackles too.

If we want to tag, why do you say if needs to be Petracca mjp?

If we are going to tag anyone, it MUST be Petracca. He wins it inside and out and as far as score assists goes, his numbers FAR eclipse those of Oliver and Viney. If you wanted to tell me we should take Salem away from them I might listen, but - and I'm touching wood rn - you could easily argue that a good strategy against Melbourne is to allow Viney and Oliver to kick the ball into F50 as that probably means it's coming straight back out.

GVGjr
15-03-2024, 06:24 PM

2/. Who takes Pickett.

I'll go with an unconventional and say it should be Dale but it will probably be Coffield.
The reason why is that Dale has the pace to go with him and while we would lose some of his run and drive I'd nearly be prepared to cop that given it is Fritsch. Coffield could be a good option but Richards would be my next choice. He's strong and quick enough to match up on Fritsch

JJ has to be the one to to Pickett. It might be Bramble in our planning but I'd prefer JJ.
The concern is potentially losing a 2nd play maker.

Harmes could get a few 5 minute bursts on Petracca but we won't tag a lot.

Uninformed
15-03-2024, 07:11 PM
I'll go with an unconventional and say it should be Dale but it will probably be Coffield.
The reason why is that Dale has the pace to go with him and while we would lose some of his run and drive I'd nearly be prepared to cop that given it is Fritsch. Coffield could be a good option but Richards would be my next choice. He's strong and quick enough to match up on Fritsch

JJ has to be the one to to Pickett. It might be Bramble in our planning but I'd prefer JJ.
The concern is potentially losing a 2nd play maker.

Harmes could get a few 5 minute bursts on Petracca but we won't tag a lot.

Like Ed or Dale on Fritsch. His main weapon is his pace. Think Ed is better equipped to stop his marking ability though.

weltschmerz
15-03-2024, 07:25 PM
Richards on Fritsch. Bramble on Pickett. Harmes on Petracca if he starts to run away with the match.

Their best key forward is JVR, but he?s not much bigger than Khamis and I suspect Khamis might be able to manage him while Jones sits on Brown. Obviously can change over if needed.

bornadog
15-03-2024, 09:31 PM
Fritsch is good overhead and has a decent leap. I don't think Dale or Richards could go with him.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-03-2024, 10:03 PM
I think I'd go Richards on Fritsch. Dale doesn't have the defensive game or nous, and we need somebody to play him tight. I think Ed has the best balance of attack vs defend.

JJ for Pickett but I think it'll be Bramble as we won't want to sacrifice two playmakers in Richards and JJ.

Khamis to JVR, Jones to Brown.

Uninformed
15-03-2024, 10:42 PM
Fritsch is good overhead and has a decent leap. I don't think Dale or Richards could go with him.

Ed is pretty good overhead. Maybe need JOD for both pace and marking? I think Coffield might be a bit slow for Fritz.

bornadog
15-03-2024, 10:50 PM
Ed is pretty good overhead. Maybe need JOD for both pace and marking? I think Coffield might be a bit slow for Fritz.

JOD not playing

Mofra
15-03-2024, 11:09 PM
Bevo has never looked to tag but if Petracca gets going maybe Harmes gets an assignment.
I disagree. There's a certain game in 2016 where Libba went the hardest of tags after halftime on JP Kennedy and that was a big reason we won that game.

I suspect we got Harmes for a role - although in this instance, I suspect Salem get sent to defence as their prime rebounder and Harmes plays HF and goes to him.

Mofra
15-03-2024, 11:15 PM

2/. Who takes Pickett.

1. Dale. Fritsch is going to be dangerous anyway, use Dale as much as possible and make that match-up Melbourne's problem (seize the initiative as US marines would say). I don't think Coff has the pace for Fritsch and after 2 years out of the game it's a huge ask. Dale has the reach to go with him and the agility.

2. Bramble. I have faith in nobody to cover Pickett but we want to free up Richards and JJ may well be the sub. At least Bramble can run with him and the guy is playing for his career so we know he'll be desperate.

1. No - I suspect with their forward woes Trac spends time forward, and on form over pre-season and Round 0 Viney is their best mid anyway.

On a side note - Clarry won a heap of the ball last week and hacked it forward to nobody all game. Last year we didn't have much intercept capability, this round we should have Coff & Buks taking 2-4 intercept marks each. It should be a massive increase on last year.

jazzadogs
16-03-2024, 01:03 AM
I'm struggling to comprehend our defensive match ups/roles.

I don't think we have any single player that can match Fritsch or Pickett, or anyone that can effectively tag Petracca.

We will rely on our overall defensive setups/zones, and midfield slowing down forward entries.

There are plenty of reasons to be concerned, but I'm sure Melbourne fans are having similar discussions about Bont and our forwards.

Grantysghost
16-03-2024, 01:21 AM

I don't think we have any single player that can match Fritsch or Pickett, or anyone that can effectively tag Petracca.

We will rely on our overall defensive setups/zones, and midfield slowing down forward entries.

There are plenty of reasons to be concerned, but I'm sure Melbourne fans are having similar discussions about Bont and our forwards.

Pickett and Fritsch in the expanses of the G are massive worries.
I can see why Bramble is in.

Is this our biggest game in recent history considering the off season.

We get hammered, woweeeee it's going to come hard and fast.

Nothing in our pre-season makes me think we can beat Melbourne.

CarnTheScray
16-03-2024, 09:15 AM

Their fans on their forums actually think our backline looks awful. Haven?t even seen discussion from them about midfield match ups, just crying about the selection of Brown and McDonald, then saying hopefully their poor inclusion is cancelled out by our poor backline.

Mofra
16-03-2024, 11:03 AM

That's not selection, that's our entire list.

Aside from Bailey Smith who can't play, our two best taggers (Libba & Harmes) are in the side

AshMac
16-03-2024, 11:17 AM

1000%

We need to make a statement and stand our ground all game. Watching sydney last night was watching a team that have come to play this season. I want to see the same intensity and fitness over 4 quarters.

54Bulldog16
16-03-2024, 12:18 PM
I?d like Richards to Pickett, just as hard and tough. I think Buku to Frish*t, leave Coffield to play the loose intercepting role. I think he has better footy smarts of where to be when.

54Bulldog16
16-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Agree with Bont H2H with Petracca, Libba to Viney (looking forward to see these two go at it), Harmes to Oliver.
Think we match them well. Hopefully Harmes has provided us with the insight we need for a big win.

jazzadogs
17-03-2024, 04:38 PM

2/. Who takes Pickett.

Well, we stopped Fritsch and Pickett....

bornadog
17-03-2024, 10:50 PM
Well, we stopped Fritsch and Pickett....

Maybe we tried hard to stop them and forgot about the other blokes