PDA

View Full Version : Bevo's brief and press conference

Go_Dogs
18-03-2024, 08:15 AM
I?m not sure if this needs a dedicated thread or not, but interested in a couple of things:

In his brief, Bevo mentioned we were hoping to ?do it by stealth? - what do we think he meant by that? It really confused me that we?d stealthily be more prepared and run harder than them, like that would be unexpected to the Dees that it was our plan to beat them by working harder?

In his press conference he expressed disappointment in players who?d had big pre-seasons. Is the disappointment in their execution of the role (eg we had a degree of confidence based on form they actually execute better) or that they?ve made skill errors (eg contribution to our turnovers etc) or that they didn?t actually meet the mark with their work effort and intensity which the indicators suggested they would (eg they weren?t as prepared or perhaps didn?t quite know how to leverage the preparation in the game day scenario).

I?ve got no idea if that last question is making much sense (lack of sleep is a killer).

Any other things that were said that folks want to speculate on or raise?

Ozza
18-03-2024, 08:52 AM
In the last 7 years, we've lost our round 1 match 5 times, with an average losing margin of 51 points.

Beveridge's idea of a strong pre-season and great preparation for round 1, and the reality of it - don't seem to be in sync.

We also go in invariably with a side that includes every single new player to the club, which ensures that we have the most chance of not being used to playing with each other.

bornadog
18-03-2024, 10:00 AM
We also go in invariably with a side that includes every single new player to the club,

Do you think this is a deliberate ploy to give new players a taste of it? I was surprised Gallagher got a game, and he showed some good signs, but did he deserve his spot? Maybe Baker or Poulter should have had that wing?

Does the club think, if we lose one now it doesn't matter so much, but we are giving the boys some experience?

azabob
18-03-2024, 10:01 AM
Do you think this is a deliberate ploy to give new players a taste of it? I was surprised Gallagher got a game, and he showed some good signs, but did he deserve his spot? Maybe Baker or Poulter should have had that wing?

Does the club think, if we lose one now it doesn't matter so much, but we are giving the boys some experience?

I'm not sure we are in a position to flirt with form like that.

We are all clutching at straws with what to do next.

bornadog
18-03-2024, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure we are in a position to flirt with form like that.

We are all clutching at straws with what to do next.

The comment was re the past 7 years where we tend to put in new players in round 1.

azabob
18-03-2024, 10:07 AM
I'm staggered he said with a straight face the biggest disappointment of the match was we kicked a few points in the last quarter, and we were still in it and then let the margin blew out by another five goals.

Surely, he doesn't believe we were still in the game at three quarter time?

Personally, after the fifteen-minute mark of the first quarter we looked a long way off it.

azabob
18-03-2024, 10:08 AM
The comment was re the past 7 years where we tend to put in new players in round 1.

I still think my comment is somewhat relevant over the past 7 years.

Ozza
18-03-2024, 10:10 AM

I think he likes to play with new toys. We've all seen over the years the players who seem to get selected way earlier than the runs on the board would suggest and get a sustained run.

Go_Dogs
18-03-2024, 11:45 AM
I think he likes to play with new toys. We've all seen over the years the players who seem to get selected way earlier than the runs on the board would suggest and get a sustained run.

A coach putting faith and trust in his players who have done the work

A coach putting the nose out of joint of senior players who have done the work over multiple years

A coach working out who from the list are going to carry the side forward this year and beyond (and who isn’t)

There are lots of different ways this is viewed across the playing group and match committee I’m sure (in addition to the above)

. It’s a tough gig - we’ve got a list in transition that may not be capable of executing the plan or matching it with some of the better lists around and it feels like we either fast track some individuals to try and bridge the gap faster or go with more of the same and get the same results. If we do the latter, players that we need to get to the 50 game mark may not get there before they’re delisted or leave through lack of opportunity.

Go_Dogs
18-03-2024, 11:48 AM
In the last 7 years, we've lost our round 1 match 5 times, with an average losing margin of 51 points.

Beveridge's idea of a strong pre-season and great preparation for round 1, and the reality of it - don't seem to be in sync.

We also go in invariably with a side that includes every single new player to the club, which ensures that we have the most chance of not being used to playing with each other.

That’s a staggering stat really.

I actually believe the mantra it was our fittest and most prepared our squad has been. It may be that we don’t pick the best 23 from the squad to execute and/or our playing group didn’t rock up to do the job - which given it’s a collective thing, points towards a belief / motivation / coaching issue.

My question is, are we;

1. Clear on the game plan and roles
2. Capable of executing the above
3. Motivated to do it for ourselves, our teammates and coaches

At least one of those things is off.

bornadog
18-03-2024, 12:13 PM
My question is, are we;

1. Clear on the game plan and roles
2. Capable of executing the above
3. Motivated to do it for ourselves, our teammates and coaches

At least one of those things is off.

After one round, I can't answer this, but what I can say is after the preseason review and strong preseason training, I can't see why not.

To me we looked rusty yesterday - we came out with a bang in the first quarter, but then slowly died as the day got on, and it became harder to execute the game plan. Make no mistake, Melbourne has one of the best defences in the AFL, and when you play them, you have to be on your game.

I am expecting a better showing next week, after another game under our belt.

SquirrelGrip
18-03-2024, 12:58 PM
I'm staggered he said with a straight face the biggest disappointment of the match was we kicked a few points in the last quarter, and we were still in it and then let the margin blew out by another five goals.

Personally, after the fifteen-minute mark of the first quarter we looked a long way off it.

I absolutely believe we were still in it in the last quarter. After Bramble's goal, it was less than three goals the difference. One more goal at that point could have been a big momentum shift. Instead Van Rooyen got the next and our heads dropped for the rest of the game.

Grantysghost
18-03-2024, 01:41 PM
I absolutely believe we were still in it in the last quarter. After Bramble's goal, it was less than three goals the difference. One more goal at that point could have been a big momentum shift. Instead Van Rooyen got the next and our heads dropped for the rest of the game.

I felt like they had us comfortably at arms length from half way through the second and we never realistically challenged them.

To me there was no chance of overhauling them at any stage.

jeemak
18-03-2024, 01:59 PM
Whether we were seriously in the game is unknown, but it's very disappointing that we didn't make Melbourne prove that we weren't by putting scoreboard pressure on them.

First game of the season you're probably going to get good, bad and indifferent form throughout, but you've still got to take your chances to compete.

I get why he's very disappointed we didn't.

angelopetraglia
18-03-2024, 02:06 PM
Whether we were seriously in the game is unknown, but it's very disappointing that we didn't make Melbourne prove that we weren't by putting scoreboard pressure on them.

First game of the season you're probably going to get good, bad and indifferent form throughout, but you've still got to take your chances to compete.

I get why he's very disappointed we didn't.

Yes. We could have asked some questions of them. If Marra converted from close quarters we woud have been two goals down and there would have been a lot more tension in the game.

Topdog
18-03-2024, 05:36 PM
Melbourne were more ready which makes sense as they had already played 1 match, not sure how much that helped them/hurt us

Hotdog60
18-03-2024, 05:43 PM
We looked flat on our feet come the third quarter and had come to a stop in the forth. Heat and match fitness may have got us in the end. Maybe pre season we need to get back to 3 practice games weather there sanctioned or not.

bornadog
18-03-2024, 05:46 PM
We looked flat on our feet come the third quarter and had come to a stop in the forth. Heat and match fitness may have got us in the end. Maybe pre season we need to get back to 3 practice games weather there sanctioned or not.

Totally agree with this.

Bont had around 15 plus touches to half time, and finished with 10 as an example.

Grantysghost
18-03-2024, 06:22 PM

The pre-season was a bit of a stuff up. Playing the Hawks a bonafide bottom 4 side twice ?

Ameet said it was due to opening round, however other teams who didn't play OR managed to secure games against different opponents.

Edit: Except the HAWKS XD

FrediKanoute
18-03-2024, 08:43 PM

I think we were. We kick 2 of the points we missed and its a different game. Sure the Dees may have steadied and taken the game away or they may have wilted. We wont know, because we had changes to score and muffed them.

macca
18-03-2024, 10:09 PM

Funny you mention the 15 min mark of first quarter, my friend who was at the game told me, just watch the highlights up till then.

I just saw the highlights and saw the game unravel in second quarter when the score was 7 goals to melb, 4 goals WB.

Lobb was terrible in that second quarter. So many marks went over his head. His just going to be a frustrating player for us.
same old same old , kick long into forward line, 2-3 fwds leading into same space. Miss goal shot.

Naughton needs to find a physical side to his game. He got roughed up by May yesterday a couple of times.

Chandler and Vanroyen getting a couple of goals when ball went over the pack, is just terrible defence.

I am kinda getting worried that we are holding onto too many list cloggers who are not natural footballers. What I mean is, under pressure their technique and ball sense just go to crap. VDM, McNeil, and Buku that come to mind yesterday. Our defensive efforts looked really poor and Melbourne players seemed to be able to get into lots of space.

I don't know why Daniel was started on the bench, when his one of our best ball users.

We really lack any pace in our midfield. Petracca killed us yesterday bursting through the middle.

Where was Treloar yesterday?

Bevo was right to say we were disappointing in the second half of that last quarter. Bramble kicks goal and we were still only 18 points down with 13 mins to play. Thats 13 mins of effort that the players had to put it.

angelopetraglia
22-03-2024, 09:35 AM
Bevo

Paraphrase.

Macrae has to play a full game. Jack understands. We are in a position of evolution. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and think you are going to get a different result. Sanders and Gaggs put selection pressure on. Some of older players have been out of the team. Macrae and CD as sub. They need to come up to the new standards that have been sent. Jack will play a lot of senior football this year.

angelopetraglia
22-03-2024, 09:38 AM
Bevo

Buku is an undersized key defender. Both clubs look undersized at the back end. We have JOD and Gards injured. We need the pressure factor around the football for our defence to function. He had some good moments last week, but he has a lot more growth in him.

angelopetraglia
22-03-2024, 09:39 AM
Bevo

Sam Darcy will play this week.

angelopetraglia
22-03-2024, 09:41 AM
Bevo

Positive news about Marra. Always perfer to have some ink on the contract. He has made an impression on the competition. He loves the club, he is grateful for what the club has done for him. Settling in Melbourne. He is an outstanding young character.

angelopetraglia
22-03-2024, 09:42 AM
Bevo

Naughton was a forward as a junior. Then went back late in his junior career. He has also been our most prolific forward. He had a knock early last week that hurt him. He will train today and prepare himself well. It is unlikely he will go back.

angelopetraglia
22-03-2024, 09:44 AM
Bevo

We love the community in Ballarat. We see it has a home ground advantage. Hopefully put on a good show and put a spring in the step of everyone. Especially with everything that has recently happening in the Ballarat community.

Bulldog Joe
22-03-2024, 09:52 AM

In every one of those 5 times we have followed the loss in round 1 with another loss in round 2.

That MUST STOP THIS WEEK

hujsh
22-03-2024, 10:40 AM
Bevo

Paraphrase.

Macrae has to play a full game. Jack understands. We are in a position of evolution. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and think you are going to get a different result. Sanders and Gaggs put selection pressure on. Some of older players have been out of the team. Macrae and CD as sub. They need to come up to the new standards that have been sent. Jack will play a lot of senior football this year.

Alternative read: their standards have dropped over time

bornadog
22-03-2024, 10:42 AM

What does that even mean?

ledge
22-03-2024, 11:14 AM

Well that’s a negative look at it if ever I have seen one.
Fact is footy evolves every year. Seems to be speed is the thing this year.
We also have more ready talls than we have ever had, so the standard has changed structurally and maybe more running than before as opposed to hand balling which we focussed on a lot over the years.
But the way we lost last week suggests nothing has changed .. let’s wait and see.

hujsh
22-03-2024, 11:57 AM
What does that even mean?

I feel like it's pretty clear but in the name of charitability.

Macrae & Daniel. Presumably have set high standards in the past (all australians, high B&F finishes etc)

Sanders and Gallager. Have 'set a standard they (Macrae & CD) need to rise to' presumable since they've created selection pressure and have been selected.

Sanders and Gallager are 1st and 2nd year players with better standards than seasoned AA caliber players? Or at least close enough that it's worth considering playing them first. Are they so amazing as to overshadow these players so early in their careers or maybe these players have dropped off such that it's possible for a 1st and 2nd year player to surpass them in some way? My interpretation is that if Macrae and Daniel are not meeting the standards being set now then their personal standards must have dropped considering what they've achieved in the past.

hujsh
22-03-2024, 11:58 AM
Well that’s a negative look at it if ever I have seen one.
Fact is footy evolves every year. Seems to be speed is the thing this year.
We also have more ready talls than we have ever had, so the standard has changed structurally and maybe more running than before as opposed to hand balling which we focussed on a lot over the years.
But the way we lost last week suggests nothing has changed .. let’s wait and see.

Macrae and CD should be able to handle the running focus better than a first year player who was clearly gassed in the third quarter

bornadog
22-03-2024, 12:22 PM
Macrae and CD should be able to handle the running focus better than a first year player who was clearly gassed in the third quarter

Bevo was asked last week why Sanders came off and he said we had a the choice of a few, but preferred someone with experience to stay on.

hujsh
22-03-2024, 12:50 PM
Bevo was asked last week why Sanders came off and he said we had a the choice of a few, but preferred someone with experience to stay on.

Sure, but did you see his last few efforts? He was completely spent, lost so much penetration in his kicking though fatigue. Could see it in his set shot that didn't make the distance and when he turned it over after his team mates were kind enough to not bother leading.

Vred
22-03-2024, 06:38 PM
Why does it feel I'm being gaslit by the head coach when watching his presser today?

hujsh
22-03-2024, 06:44 PM
Why does it feel I'm being gaslit by the head coach when watching his presser today?

You're being crazy. You must remember it wrong.

Vred
22-03-2024, 06:56 PM
You're being crazy. You must remember it wrong.

The definition of crazy is doing something the same way and expecting a different outcome .. or something like that.

G-Mo77
22-03-2024, 06:58 PM
The definition of crazy is doing something the same way and expecting a different outcome .. or something like that.

Really poor words to start the press conference off wasn't it?

Vred
22-03-2024, 07:04 PM

I don't even know what to make of it.
Really defensive about Macca to the point he almost seemed offended he was being asked about it?
Constant talk about evolution (Are we playing Pokemon now?)
Rolling out really bad lines like the one above about 'definition of crazy'
Re-writing history surrounding Naughton's pre-draft played position (he played both ends of the ground but was never strictly a forward).

I've given up trying to get a read on Bevo.

angelopetraglia
22-03-2024, 07:04 PM

Sounded like he was repeating something that someone has told him recently!!!!!! Maybe Peter Jackson.

ledge
22-03-2024, 07:30 PM
Strange presser indeed, definitely not his usual kind.

hujsh
22-03-2024, 07:55 PM

He must have read WOOF and saw Ledge's comment.

ledge
22-03-2024, 10:27 PM
He must have read WOOF and saw Ledge's comment.

He takes a lot out of WOOF . Whether it’s coaching ideas or press statements.

mighty_west
22-03-2024, 11:35 PM
Bevo is absolutely putting things back on the players, maybe he has lost a few players trust, but the talk early with Sanders was that his standards for a draftee was elite, and that he is looking at CD and Jack and maybe a few others that they simply need to lift in that area, maybe they've become a little comfortable in their roles and it's the coach putting that heat back on with pressure on their spots where's that might have been there in the past.

It also sounds like to me, a mini rebuild to go with those standards, and Sanders and Gallagher deserving a spot in the side given the standards they are displaying and what they have shown during pre season match sims and pre season games and now getting games into them, all players on notice to lift your game and not repeat what's happened the past few seasons given the evolution quote.

Darcy another, comes into the side for Lobb, young for old and perhaps whilst Lobb may have had a slightly better pre season than Darcy, his game on the weekend may not have been up to standard enough to hold Darcy out and as we know, Darce has been banging the door down.