PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a non-negotiable for this week (R#2)??

mjp
21-03-2024, 01:16 PM
Here's what I'm thinking.

There were a couple of less than ideal numbers coming out of last weeks game.

1/. Low tackle count.
2/. High Oppo UM count
3/. Low kick count (vs Oppo) - #1 stat for winning games of footy.
4/. Something else??

Clearly we have to defend better. But what is it?

Simple - Just tackle more? (Keep in mind we were involved in a basketball game and Melbourne didn't tackle either).
Simple - Locate better. Take away those hit-ups.
Simple - Stop handballing so much (but the two teams who had more than us - GWS and FD) both won and Melbourne were right behind us?
Something else?

If you were the coaches, what simple target would you give the players this week??

Grantysghost
21-03-2024, 01:19 PM
Pressure acts.

I want at least 5 of the top 10 as Dog's players.

https://i.postimg.cc/vmJGbT52/pressureacts.png (https://postimages.org/)image upload site (https://postimages.org/)

mjp
21-03-2024, 01:31 PM
Pressure acts.

Target??

jazzadogs
21-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Without looking at specific numbers:

Gold Coast are a high clearance team. We need to win/break even at clearances. (we did this last week anyway, but I still think it's important).

Naughton needs to take at least 1 mark per quarter on the wing. Get out of the goalsquare and impact the game. Collins is too clever to give him a run at a high ball.

Sprint efforts, for our mids in particular, need to be high (we don't get this data, but my eyes tell me it was low). Pushing hard to defend, and pushing hard to create easy options offensively.

McNeill <5 clangers.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Pressure acts.

I want at least 5 of the top 10 as Dog's players.

https://i.postimg.cc/vmJGbT52/pressureacts.png (https://postimages.org/)image upload site (https://postimages.org/)

Good god.

2 of our top 3 are a guy on the fringe and an off season recruit from the club that demolished us.

Bont must be bloody sick of his teammates lazy bs. Our Lamborghini is doing all the grunt work as well.

Grantysghost
21-03-2024, 01:42 PM
Target??

I've updated my post :)

Grantysghost
21-03-2024, 01:43 PM
Good god.

2 of our top 3 are a guy on the fringe and an off season recruit from the club that demolished us.

Bont must be bloody sick of his teammates lazy bs. Our Lamborghini is doing all the grunt work as well.

Yes I was surprised with Harmes' high numbers.

It's a fair indication of work rate isn't it.

mjp
21-03-2024, 01:53 PM
Yes I was surprised with Harmes' high numbers.

It's a fair indication of work rate isn't it.

Maybe it's a sign of being second to the ball?

mjp
21-03-2024, 01:55 PM
I'm always fascinated by tackle targets and pressure targets.

I get they are an 'outcome'...but one thing they are an outcome of is the oppo having the ball. I think you need to define what you want to see a little more "definitively"...what pressure do you want to see? How should it LOOK??

bornadog
21-03-2024, 02:28 PM
1. I want to see the ball moved faster from defence to forwards as we have been practicing in the preseason. JJ didn't bounce the ball once last week, Dale and Ed were statues as well, although ED did try and move the ball quickly on occasions.

2. I want to see the forwards moving more with leads, and the ball coming into the forward line hitting a chest, not a pack.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-03-2024, 02:33 PM

I get they are an 'outcome'...but one thing they are an outcome of is the oppo having the ball. I think you need to define what you want to see a little more "definitively"...what pressure do you want to see? How should it LOOK??

To me it should look like the opposition barely have time to make a decision when they have the ball and when they get rid of it, we have a player ready to pounce on the oppo player receiving the ball. This is what effort and discipline looks like to me.

Not, oppo players receives ball with barely a dogs player around him. Dogs player guards space and oppo player loops a kick or handball over his head to next oppo player who also has heaps of space and time to move the ball forward and make his decision.

You watch the best teams. They barely ever give the oppo time or space to do anything. This is what we should be doing most of the game. Not just a 5 or 10 minute patch.

Axe Man
21-03-2024, 02:35 PM
2. I want to see the forwards moving more with leads, and the ball coming into the forward line hitting a chest, not a pack.

We had 13 marks inside 50 last week, that would have put us around top 5-6 in the league last season (we averaged 12, 9th in the league). I'm not sure it was one of our more pressing issues.

Boots
21-03-2024, 02:50 PM
I want more tackles and lower % broken tackles.

Is a team average of 0.66 tackles per player per quarter outlandish? Gives you like 60 tackles per game. And I’d want to see maybe 60% tackle efficiency. Is that too high? I’m making this up.

Grantysghost
21-03-2024, 02:53 PM

Good point.

No clean possession, force the oppo to kick the ball to a contest.
Ground balls, no easy gets just harrass every ground ball by getting numbers "on the screen", half contests... The old Dale Morris mantra, if you can't win it; don't lose it.

Axe Man
21-03-2024, 02:55 PM
I want more tackles and lower % broken tackles.

Is a team average of 0.66 tackles per player per quarter outlandish? Gives you like 60 tackles per game. And I’d want to see maybe 60% tackle efficiency. Is that too high? I’m making this up.

We averaged 65.4 tackles a game last season (3rd in league) so we should be getting over 60 most weeks. Not sure about efficiency.

mjp
21-03-2024, 02:58 PM
1. I want to see the ball moved faster from defence to forwards as we have been practicing in the preseason. JJ didn't bounce the ball once last week, Dale and Ed were statues as well, although ED did try and move the ball quickly on occasions.

I don't mind what you're saying but I would love to know how you would measure this stuff.

We need a tangible metric here that the group can be given feedback on throughout the day...

Boots
21-03-2024, 03:03 PM
I have such low expectations haha. I only set targets because I don’t want MJP to use coach voice on me.

could you set some sort of second effort target? That might be a way to recapture some of the ‘wall of Biggs’ mentality.

mjp
21-03-2024, 03:06 PM
We averaged 65.4 tackles a game last season (3rd in league) so we should be getting over 60 most weeks. Not sure about efficiency.

Carlton had 69 and won.
Sydney had 72 and won.
Essendon had 61 and won.
GWS had 45 and won.
Geelong had 53 and won.
Adelaide had 72 and LOST.
Port had 44 and won.
Freo had 67 and won.

Last year we came 9th averaging 65 per game and as supporters were unhappy with results all year.

Is it really tackles we are after?

I don't mind it - I just want to understand what changes if we lay 60?

bulldogsthru&thru
21-03-2024, 03:08 PM
Yeah tackles don't paint the full picture. It depends on a number of other stats like possession and oppo tackles as well as weather and the score. High scoring, free flowing games will have low tackle counts. If we smash a team by 10 goals we could have low tackle counts.

I'm not sure there is a metric we can measure this stuff on. I need to have a look at how pressure acts are actually measured.

mjp
21-03-2024, 03:09 PM
I have such low expectations haha. I only set targets because I don’t want MJP to use coach voice on me.

could you set some sort of second effort target? That might be a way to recapture some of the ‘wall of Biggs’ mentality.

Cleveland (NBA) have been doing this thing where if they get 3x defensive stops in a row they call it a 'suffocate' and when they started doing this they went on a tear. I guess what I'm trying to get to is we need to think up a bit of a metric around what we think will help...and it needs to be SIMPLE (aka measurable) and it needs to be ONE THING you can hang your hat on.

Make it tackles by all means but I want to know how that changes anything...

Mofra
21-03-2024, 03:12 PM
"Pressure rating" of "above average" across all four quarters.

Against Melbourne the rating was the lowest by a Bulldogs team for a number of years.

Grantysghost
21-03-2024, 03:13 PM
Cleveland (NBA) have been doing this thing where if they get 3x defensive stops in a row they call it a 'suffocate' and when they started doing this they went on a tear. I guess what I'm trying to get to is we need to think up a bit of a metric around what we think will help...and it needs to be SIMPLE (aka measurable) and it needs to be ONE THING you can hang your hat on.

Make it tackles by all means but I want to know how that changes anything...
Some kind of measure of the amount of defensive force you are applying to a team?

bulldogsthru&thru
21-03-2024, 03:13 PM
-Time oppo have to get rid of ball
-Number of oppo link-up plays - ie how many oppo players touched the ball before we did and how many of these were there.
-Ground ball gets

Just spitballing.

Boots
21-03-2024, 03:15 PM
Carlton had 69 and won.
Sydney had 72 and won.
Essendon had 61 and won.
GWS had 45 and won.
Geelong had 53 and won.
Port had 44 and won.
Freo had 67 and won.

Last year we came 9th averaging 65 per game and as supporters were unhappy with results all year.

I think for me as a bit of a numpty observer the tackles are a visible sign of what the team specifically lacks right now - a desire to “take the game on”. Acknowledging your point that tackles don’t mean games are won, there are a few things that make it feel like a sort of ersatz moneyball stat in the particular case of the 2024 bulldogs:

- it fits with the bit bevo was doing in the preseason about the fourth phase/playing when we don’t have the ball
- it’s 100% in our players’ control to chase and lay tackles. Setting an alternative target like disposal efficiency for eg is too situational

I think having it average per player per quarter means we don’t just bank all the tackles in q1 so it becomes a metric for the four quarter effort.

Grantysghost
21-03-2024, 03:19 PM
This stuff :

Pressure Act (Implied): Reducing an opponent’s decision making time without physical contact ‘via corralling, closing space or chasing from behind’.

Pressure Act (Corralling): The lowest form of pressure a player can apply, where they are simply occupying space in front of the ball carrier to prevent them moving forward, or have a run at them, but not quickly enough to record ‘closing’ pressure.

Pressure Act (Closing): A higher degree of pressure than corralling, where the pressure player is on the verge of making contact with the ball carrier (either from in front or the side) as he disposals of the ball. The key point of difference between this and corralling is that there will be imminent contact and the pressure player is forcing the ball carrier to dispose of it immediately.

Pressure Act (Chasing): Where a player applies pressure from behind an opponent by chasing. They must be gaining ground or applying pressure significant enough to hurry the ball carrier to dispose of the ball. If the chasing player is on the verge of making physical contact from behind, then closing pressure will be imminent.

Pressure Act (Physical): Applying direct physical contact to a player in the act of disposing of the ball or effecting a tackle that prevents an effective disposal from the ball carrier.

Pressure Chances: The number of opportunities a team had to apply pressure i.e. opposition disposals, including tackles that prevent an opposition disposal.

Pressure Factor: Pressure points per pressure chance. Measure only at the team level.

Pressure Points: Weighed sum of pressure acts. Physical pressure acts are worth 3.75 points, closing acts are worth 2.25 points, chasing acts are 1.5 points and corralling are 1.2. Pressure Points Per Minute: Pressure points per minute of time on ground.

weltschmerz
21-03-2024, 03:24 PM
Players to find a happy medium between "chip the ball around aimlessly" and "bomb it".

Can Bar
21-03-2024, 03:31 PM
High Number of Tackle attempts please, whether he releases or not. I can never work out how they count them? And Please no kicks going inside Forward fifty kicked higher than 3 metres off the ground. High balls wanna make me SPEW UP..

bornadog
21-03-2024, 03:34 PM
I don't mind what you're saying but I would love to know how you would measure this stuff.

We need a tangible metric here that the group can be given feedback on throughout the day...

Metres gained we were one of the lowest with 5719 (16th) - need to be up around 6500 plus
Rebound 50s, 14th with 35 - should be 45 plus

bornadog
21-03-2024, 03:36 PM
We had 13 marks inside 50 last week, that would have put us around top 5-6 in the league last season (we averaged 12, 9th in the league). I'm not sure it was one of our more pressing issues.

We were 7th. I want more and converted to goals.

mjp
21-03-2024, 03:45 PM
Metres gained we were one of the lowest with 5719 (16th) - need to be up around 6500 plus
Rebound 50s, 14th with 35 - should be 45 plus

Isn't a low Rebound 50 count good? Or can't it be good?

If the oppo have low i50 numbers, then your rebound 50 numbers are - by extension - gonna be low.

mjp
21-03-2024, 03:49 PM
-Time oppo have to get rid of ball
-Number of oppo link-up plays - ie how many oppo players touched the ball before we did and how many of these were there.
-Ground ball gets

Just spitballing.

I'm 100% on board with this. Consecutive oppo possessions...what's a reasonable number to keep them under?

3?
5?

I would think 5 consecutive possessions = disaster so maybe the number would be 4?

Something like - Maximum of 3x oppo possession chains (4-or-more) in any quarter of play.

Simple to measure. Simple to provide visual feedback on. Big impact on the game....plus, the players can COUNT them on-field and it could be a bit unifying. I like it.

bornadog
21-03-2024, 03:50 PM
Isn't a low Rebound 50 count good? Or can't it be good?

If the oppo have low i50 numbers, then your rebound 50 numbers are - by extension - gonna be low.

From Champion data:

Rebound 50: Moving the ball from the defensive zone into the midfield.

Rebound 50 Rate: Measures how often a side rebounds from its defensive 50 without conceding a goal to the opposition.

Of course the fewer entries into 50 the better and therefore a lower rate, but in most games inside 50s are very even between teams.

Axe Man
21-03-2024, 03:50 PM
Carlton had 69 and won.
Sydney had 72 and won.
Essendon had 61 and won.
GWS had 45 and won.
Geelong had 53 and won.
Port had 44 and won.
Freo had 67 and won.

I was only providing some numbers to back Boots' tackle target, not advocating it as a metric.

Tackle numbers are a bit weird, looking at last season there is a general trend of higher finishers being in the top half of tackle numbers, but there are a few outliers - the Crows (1st) us (3rd) and Brisbane dead last.

Brisbane were the only finalist to average under 60 though, seems like a reasonable target for most games but of course in isolation isn't that meaningful, like most stats.

Axe Man
21-03-2024, 03:53 PM
We were 7th. I want more and converted to goals.

We were 7th in what?

Conversion is a different matter and is more about skill than effort.

Axe Man
21-03-2024, 03:59 PM
I'm 100% on board with this. Consecutive oppo possessions...what's a reasonable number to keep them under?

3?
5?

I would think 5 consecutive possessions = disaster so maybe the number would be 4?

Something like - Maximum of 3x oppo possession chains (4-or-more) in any quarter of play.

Simple to measure. Simple to provide visual feedback on. Big impact on the game....plus, the players can COUNT them on-field and it could be a bit unifying. I like it.

It's very situational though. 5 quick handballs that go nowhere or switches back and forth across the defensive 50 aren't a major concern. Possession chains that take a lot of ground and result in scoring opportunities are the biggest worry.

bornadog
21-03-2024, 03:59 PM
We were 7th in what?

Conversion is a different matter and is more about skill than effort.

13 marks is 7th most in AFL. Teams like GWS had 19, Power had an unbelievable 25, and Hawks had 19, but kicked 17 behinds.

The conversion remark is - I want more conversions if we mark it in F50. The number of set shots we missed last week was deplorable.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-03-2024, 04:00 PM

3?
5?

Determining an acceptable number is interesting. I'd have to watch our matches as well as thise of the best teams. You can only imagine what the difference would be in watching Sundays game vs say the 2016 prelim.

I think any more than 3 consecutive oppo possessions is in danger territory so if you're giving up that more than 2 or 3 times a quarter I reckon the score will look pretty bad.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-03-2024, 04:01 PM
It's very situational though. 5 quick handballs that go nowhere or switches back and forth across the defensive 50 aren't a major concern. Possession chains that take a lot of ground and result in scoring opportunities are the biggest worry.

Yeah this is true. You'd want metres gained in these sequences to accompany this.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-03-2024, 04:03 PM
No more than 3 consecutive goals scored against.

Go_Dogs
21-03-2024, 04:38 PM
Target:

Kick 16 goals (and less than 16 behinds!) - maybe too obvious / doesn?t mean we win I suppose, but gee I?d love us to score 100 points and if we kick 16 goals we?re likely to get there

Have 12+ tackles inside F50 - let?s get our intensity up in the front half so we can generate repeat shots on goal / entries

Win contested ball by +5 or more - GC will be coming hard for this and if we can better the ledger great result

Axe Man
21-03-2024, 05:37 PM
13 marks is 7th most in AFL. Teams like GWS had 19, Power had an unbelievable 25, and Hawks had 19, but kicked 17 behinds.

The conversion remark is - I want more conversions if we mark it in F50. The number of set shots we missed last week was deplorable.

Looking at the inside 50 marks (or any stat) in a single round is fairly pointless. 13 is a reasonable number, above average last season. It's well down the list of things that concerned me last week.

We all want better conversion but I'm not sure it's in the spirt of this thread. There's not much point in the coach saying we want an X% conversion rate as a non-negotiable. Players don't try and miss, they can't really put in extra effort during a game to kick more accurately.

bornadog
21-03-2024, 05:53 PM
Looking at the inside 50 marks (or any stat) in a single round is fairly pointless. 13 is a reasonable number, above average last season. It's well down the list of things that concerned me last week.

We all want better conversion but I'm not sure it's in the spirt of this thread. There's not much point in the coach saying we want an X% conversion rate as a non-negotiable. Players don't try and miss, they can't really put in extra effort during a game to kick more accurately.

Well that is my opinion and that is what I want to see.

Rocket Science
21-03-2024, 06:14 PM
No more than 3 consecutive goals scored against.

Ambitious. I like it.

https://i.ibb.co/k9FFBRR/Screen-Shot-2024-03-21-at-4-56-02-pm.png (https://ibb.co/tx55K77)

We duly addressed this by letting Melbourne turn last week's game on its ear with five unanswered goals hello darkness my old friend.

Grantysghost
21-03-2024, 06:28 PM

Bad, we were terrible. No excuses.

mjp
21-03-2024, 07:44 PM
Target:

Kick 16 goals (and less than 16 behinds!) - maybe too obvious / doesn?t mean we win I suppose, but gee I?d love us to score 100 points and if we kick 16 goals we?re likely to get there

Have 12+ tackles inside F50 - let?s get our intensity up in the front half so we can generate repeat shots on goal / entries

Win contested ball by +5 or more - GC will be coming hard for this and if we can better the ledger great result

I just think this is an outcome.

You have to remember that it takes ONE player to kick a goal but it takes 18 to stop one. Setting a target of 16x goals is cool and all but we did that 4x for all of the last season...it just feels like it's a goal that can't be achieved.

azabob
21-03-2024, 08:34 PM
Ambitious. I like it.

https://i.ibb.co/k9FFBRR/Screen-Shot-2024-03-21-at-4-56-02-pm.png (https://ibb.co/tx55K77)

We duly addressed this by letting Melbourne turn last week's game on its ear with five unanswered goals hello darkness my old friend.

On the positive Gold Coast are worse than us in this regard!

bornadog
21-03-2024, 08:41 PM
On the positive Gold Coast are worse than us in this regard!

Good pickup Aza

Uninformed
21-03-2024, 09:32 PM
If you were the coaches, what simple target would you give the players this week??

Play with confidence. Know that you will do the right thing at the right time - defend or attack.

You know how to play, be instinctive don't overthink. Don't try to remember what the coaches said. Just play and win!

Topdog
21-03-2024, 10:10 PM
Ambitious. I like it.

Don't make me drag up the post I did at the end of the 2022 season about the same topic. 3rd year running :(

Go_Dogs
21-03-2024, 10:27 PM
I just think this is an outcome.

You have to remember that it takes ONE player to kick a goal but it takes 18 to stop one. Setting a target of 16x goals is cool and all but we did that 4x for all of the last season...it just feels like it's a goal that can't be achieved.

Knowing you, you?re probably right. Maybe it?s ?kick more goals than behinds? and ?get a scoring shot to inside 50 ratio of X? - I?m not too sure what constitutes good.

bornadog
21-03-2024, 11:51 PM
Knowing you, you?re probably right. Maybe it?s ?kick more goals than behinds? and ?get a scoring shot to inside 50 ratio of X? - I?m not too sure what constitutes good.
The best Stat - kick more goals than the oppo

jeemak
21-03-2024, 11:53 PM
Don't make me drag up the post I did at the end of the 2022 season about the same topic. 3rd year running :(

Don't listen to him RS, make him drag it up. Make him!

Grantysghost
22-03-2024, 09:41 AM
The best Stat - kick more goals than the oppo
What if it's 11.3 v 10.10.....!

Go_Dogs
22-03-2024, 10:14 AM
What if it's 11.3 v 10.10.....!

Kicking that straight… and kicking more goals than the opposition, and still losing. That would have to be the most Bulldog thing we could possibly do. Lock it in GG.

Axe Man
22-03-2024, 11:11 AM
In regards to the consecutive goal runs it feels like it is more prevalent across the league with the 6-6-6 rule (not that I have any stats to back it up). Last night St Kilda kicked 5 in a row, then Collingwood 4, then St Kilda another 4.

Of course we concede way too many 5 or more goal runs, but we do have to accept they will happen. Somehow we need to concede fewer and keep them to 3 or 4 at worst.

G-Mo77
22-03-2024, 06:43 PM
My non negotiable is to get a win and then back it up and then some the following week and beyond. I've seen this movie before: Us against the world, we come out and win, we all hold hands and think all is good again and then we stink it up the following week and we're back to square one. If we want to be a finals side, which is what lots in here and socials predicted we have to find consistency. If we can't find that we're stuck with our 9 - 12 position again. Close but so far away.

FWIW I am confident we will win this week but don't think it's any time to celebrate all that much .

josie
22-03-2024, 07:41 PM
My non negotiable is to get a win and then back it up and then some the following week and beyond. I've seen this movie before: Us against the world, we come out and win, we all hold hands and think all is good again and then we stink it up the following week and we're back to square one. If we want to be a finals side, which is what lots in here and socials predicted we have to find consistency. If we can't find that we're stuck with our 9 - 12 position again. Close but so far away.

FWIW I am confident we will win this week but don't think it's any time to celebrate all that much .

I?m not confident.

My non-negotiables are; show some mongrel, tenacity, never give up behaviours. Act like you really care about winning.

mjp
22-03-2024, 08:56 PM
I?m not confident.

My non-negotiables are; show some mongrel, tenacity, never give up behaviours. Act like you really care about winning.

I think we all want to see this stuff mate but - and this is an obvious comment - despite how the players LOOKED last week to suggest that they weren't trying is a bit much (and I know you didn't say that).

I guess I started this post to see what everyone actually wanted to see...but you have to be able to measure it. "Show some mongrel and tenacity"...I mean, that probably means something different to everyone. Then again, we had a "don't concede 5-goals in a row" metric suggested and I think that is setting the bar too LOW.

For me, the players need a SIMPLE focus (such as we saw in R#3 against Brisbane last year in what was a pretty heroic performance by our skipper) that is based on defending. Just saying 'go harder'...it just doesn't mean anything. The players are smart footballers - if we translate what we WANT into an action then they CAN deliver it.

hujsh
22-03-2024, 09:13 PM
I think the problem here is it's hard to find a single stat that quantifies what it frustrating to us. Is it limiting turnovers? Goals from turnovers? Coast to cost goals (D50 to a goal without a contest)? Consecutive goals? Lack of pressure? Number of times we're outnumbered at a contest? Uncontested mark numbers? All of these different things can all combine into a complete mess.

If I had to pick one thing then I guess it's that I don't want any goals starting in the D50 that, once the opposition have the ball, does not involve a contest at some point. If the ball is freely moved from defence to the forward line for a goal or mark inside 50 too often we aren't forcing a contest and we're letting things be too easy for them. Can we limit this to just twice? Is that a lot or very few?

On the flip side if we're at least forcing them to take contested mark on the wing and it doesn't go our way, well that's easier to bear.

josie
22-03-2024, 09:17 PM
I think we all want to see this stuff mate but - and this is an obvious comment - despite how the players LOOKED last week to suggest that they weren't trying is a bit much (and I know you didn't say that).

I guess I started this post to see what everyone actually wanted to see...but you have to be able to measure it. "Show some mongrel and tenacity"...I mean, that probably means something different to everyone. Then again, we had a "don't concede 5-goals in a row" metric suggested and I think that is setting the bar too LOW.

For me, the players need a SIMPLE focus (such as we saw in R#3 against Brisbane last year in what was a pretty heroic performance by our skipper) that is based on defending. Just saying 'go harder'...it just doesn't mean anything. The players are smart footballers - if we translate what we WANT into an action then they CAN deliver it.

Fair enough mjp. I?ve never played the game and footy metrics not my forte. More tackles? I?m not so sure some of our players are smart footballers, although this may be related to poor skill levels. I?m confident Bevo and other coaches would be clear on certain metrics and I?m guessing a fair number of our players aren?t meeting them.

kruder
22-03-2024, 09:33 PM
I want to create more score from turnover which means a lot of the pressure related acts that we were awful at last week need to improve 10 fold. Watching how committed St Kilda were last night, MJP I know it isn't a stat mate but that is a group that is getting everything out of themselves and with 100% belief in the coach and his plan.

mjp
22-03-2024, 09:42 PM
I want to create more score from turnover which means a lot of the pressure related acts that we were awful at last week need to improve 10 fold. Watching how committed St Kilda were last night, MJP I know it isn't a stat mate but that is a group that is getting everything out of themselves and with 100% belief in the coach and his plan.

Given it's Ross, there will 100% be a stat and he will be triple checking it's right during the week by watching the vision himself.
Standards.

What that stat is? I doubt you will find it in any Champion Data library....

kruder
22-03-2024, 09:47 PM
Given it's Ross, there will 100% be a stat and he will be triple checking it's right during the week by watching the vision himself.
Standards.

What that stat is? I doubt you will find it in any Champion Data library....

Ahh Ross the Boss;) I must say I'm still in shock at how bad we were last week, even if we win I cant trust this group until we beat a serious football side again. GC are a decent side no doubt about it and usually cause us problems but until we go toe to toe with a contender I will be holding my judgment.

Mofra
22-03-2024, 10:23 PM
How about we keep it really really easy.

Win the tackle count. Measurable and effort-based rather than ability based.

Sedat
22-03-2024, 11:53 PM
For me, the players need a SIMPLE focus (such as we saw in R#3 against Brisbane last year in what was a pretty heroic performance by our skipper) that is based on defending.
That match is the perfect example of what we should expect from the team each week. Just be super difficult to score against and make life miserable for the opposition to move the ball. That was a 10 goal to 7 game from memory - terrible for the neutrals but a really disciplined performance by us across the board (especially defending the whole ground when we didn't have the ball).

Topdog
23-03-2024, 10:50 AM
Ahh Ross the Boss;) I must say I'm still in shock at how bad we were last week, even if we win I cant trust this group until we beat a serious football side again. GC are a decent side no doubt about it and usually cause us problems but until we go toe to toe with a contender I will be holding my judgment.

Going to take a heck of a lot more than 1 good result against a contender for me. I have 0 trust in this side to do anything with consistency week in and week out.

mjp
23-03-2024, 08:42 PM
How about we keep it really really easy.

Win the tackle count. Measurable and effort-based rather than ability based.

Yep. And to tackle someone they have to have the ball...I prefer pro-active measures to reactive measures. I don't mind including tackling as PART of a metric that includes contested ball wins and loose ball wins. The challenge is of course that it risks double counted because free kicks count as hard ball gets...

I agree it's a simple stat tho and is an easy metric for players to understand.

Jeanette54
23-03-2024, 09:51 PM
We must show we are prepared to run defensively, especially the forwards. When their back men take off with the intention of creating a handball opportunity upfield then you must go with them. I know you think you are a forward and above gut running, but this is a non-negotiable. Don't let your team mates down.

Its also a big opportunity to get a turnover via a run down tackle.

jeemak
24-03-2024, 12:31 AM
I hope we have a stat for frontal pressure/ closing down space.

That' might be something along the lines of the number of instances where opposition set ups and chains are disrupted/ stopped by the player rolling up/ across to close out space and apply pressure per quarter.

Looking at last week it would be easy enough to count the times it didn't happen, but a lot of that was because we didn't keep the ball ourselves. So possibly a ratio vs. the total set up/ chain attempts would be suitable as a measure.

FrediKanoute
24-03-2024, 03:40 AM
I want to see 3 thnngs:

1) manic pressure on the ball carrier;
2) quick transition; and
3) a more even spread of hard ball stats across the group.

MrMahatma
24-03-2024, 09:16 AM
Wasn’t the 4th phase the off season focus.

What’s a 4th phase stat? Distance covered during 4th phase?

EasternWest
24-03-2024, 10:10 AM
I'm actually not concerned at all. This is the fittest and strongest we've been and we as fans certainly shouldn't be asking any questions or have any doubts after our round one performance.

Full faith is what we should all show. Otherwise it's give up. There's nothing in between.

hujsh
24-03-2024, 10:28 AM
I'm actually not concerned at all. This is the fittest and strongest we've been and we as fans certainly shouldn't be asking any questions or have any doubts after our round one performance.

Full faith is what we should all show. Otherwise it's give up. There's nothing in between.

I hereby 'consult' you to otherwise.

josie
24-03-2024, 11:11 AM

Can I hope I?m wrong and be pleased with a win?

josie
24-03-2024, 11:15 AM
Can I hope I?m wrong and be pleased with a win?

By the way EW, I think I sensed some sarcasm.

josie
24-03-2024, 11:16 AM
I want to see 3 thnngs:

2) quick transition; and

EasternWest
24-03-2024, 11:54 AM
By the way EW, I think I sensed some sarcasm.

From me? Why I never.

Rocket Science
24-03-2024, 12:07 PM
I want to see 3 thnngs:

2) quick transition; and

https://i.ibb.co/MGzP9VS/Screen-Shot-2024-03-24-at-11-06-30-am.png (https://ibb.co/QCWYXNQ)

Topdog
24-03-2024, 02:51 PM
Had more of the ball, kicked more goals, had more tackles.

I'm not watching but this sounds good

azabob
24-03-2024, 03:15 PM
Had more of the ball, kicked more goals, had more tackles.

I'm not watching but this sounds good

Most important part, ahead on the scoreboard.

Topdog
24-03-2024, 09:03 PM
when VDM did his ridiculous dive but 3 Bulldogs pounced on the GCS player who "hit" VDM, thats the non negotiable. When our players are in that mood it just works. No surprise that Libba and Naughty were 2 of the 3.

azabob
25-03-2024, 08:40 AM
when VDM did his ridiculous dive but 3 Bulldogs pounced on the GCS player who "hit" VDM, thats the non negotiable. When our players are in that mood it just works. No surprise that Libba and Naughty were 2 of the 3.

VDM also flew the flag for Liberatore at one stage on the outer wing.

GVGjr
25-03-2024, 09:08 AM
VDM also flew the flag for Liberatore at one stage on the outer wing.

He had a rough day, I couldn't quite tell at the game but when the push and shove happened in our goal square he appeared to have been thrown into the goal post. He must have gotten into the minds of a couple of the GC players but he was targeted for a while.